PDA

View Full Version : Gary showing his Aggie Ways

Joe Texan
08-15-2010, 10:18 AM
To try to get 4 more yards when you have a kicker competition and a chance to save a game with a 51 yard feild goal is not fundimental football. I am not sure but I have never seen where Gary Gambled and won that gamble. I think the two things Gary needs this preseason is a book on fundimental football and a Clock around his neck like Flave of Flave, He dont need the grill but the clock might make him reallize that the game is timed. I am a strong Kubiak supporter but come on Coach Test your Kickers!!!

DexmanC
08-15-2010, 11:00 AM
To try to get 4 more yards when you have a kicker competition and a chance to save a game with a 51 yard feild goal is not fundimental football. I am not sure but I have never seen where Gary Gambled and won that gamble. I think the two things Gary needs this preseason is a book on fundimental football and a Clock around his neck like Flave of Flave, He dont need the grill but the clock might make him reallize that the game is timed. I am a strong Kubiak supporter but come on Coach Test your Kickers!!!

He did the same thing at Indy last year, when he had Schaub throw a ball
to Jacoby downfield with 15 secs on the clock. Schaub spiked the ball with
ONE SECOND REMAINING IN THE GAME. Chris Brown shanked the
fieldgoal though.

That's one instance he gambled and won.

Joe Texan
08-15-2010, 11:04 AM
I define winning a gamble as the ability to gamble and win the game, Chris shanking the feild goal means he lost that one too.

DexmanC
08-15-2010, 11:06 AM
I define winning a gamble as the ability to gamble and win the game, Chris shanking the feild goal means he lost that one too.

I saw the gamble as moving the kicker closer to the goal before time
expired. Schaub spiking the ball with a second left on the clock means
"mission accomplished."

JB
08-15-2010, 11:11 AM
I saw the gamble as moving the kicker closer to the goal before time
expired. Schaub spiking the ball with a second left on the clock means
"mission accomplished."

I agree with you Dex. Gary has no control over the kickers ability to make a kick. Only get him in a better position to increase the odds.

Sometimes people want to blame the coach for everything, but it is the players on the field that have to make it happen.

pbat488
08-15-2010, 11:16 AM
1) The thread title is dumb.

2) It's preseason, he's giving his guys a chance to go out there and execute in a pressure situation; one of the situations that can't be replicated on the training fields playing against your own team.

3) No coach or player EVER wants overtime in preseason games, it's just asking for an injury.

IDEXAN
08-15-2010, 11:21 AM
But I heard there was only 10 seconds on the clock (with no TOs) last night ? How do you run a play, complete a pass, get back up to the LOS, take a snap from center and spike the ball in under 10 secs ? Maybe with 15 or 20, but 10 secs ?

JB
08-15-2010, 11:22 AM
But I heard there was only 10 seconds on the clock (with no TOs) last night ? How do you run a play, complete a pass, get back up to the LOS, take a snap from center and spike the ball in under 10 secs ? Maybe with 15 or 20, but 10 secs ?

Sideline pass maybe? It was a go route. Into the endzone maybe?

DexmanC
08-15-2010, 11:23 AM

In last night's case, they were expecting a sideline route or incompletion.
Booty took a sack, which is what you CAN'T do.

TexanSam
08-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Why would you play for overtime in a preseason game? It's like going to extra innings in spring training. Nothing is really going to come out of it and you risk suffering an injury if you go to OT.

IDEXAN
08-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Sideline pass maybe? It was a go route. Into the endzone maybe?
SL route maybe (not what they did in Indy last year), but would still have to be really quick. Down only 3 points EZ pass would be your walk-off victory scenario right there, no more points needed, game over, end of story.

Joe Texan
08-15-2010, 11:33 AM
when you have 10 seconds and a 51 yard feild goal and a kicker competition, It would be best to try the kicker to see if he could rise to the occasion in a game type situation. the way itn was played we will never know and a decision on which kicker hangs in the ballance. It is evident that Brown is the man to beat and there really is no competition.

c10x
08-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Agree. Thought GK allowed some bone headed play calling tonight. Much of it was good though, which is why its so infuriating. Like the Slaton up the gut on goal line situation. Isn't that why we drafted bigger backs? Isn't that the idea, foster/tate up the middle, slaton next to Schaub out of the shotgun?

b0ng
08-15-2010, 12:56 PM
I think complaining about playcalling in the pre-season is pretty damn silly. Remember, the objectives in pre-season are completely different than the objectives in the regular season (which is to win). Boneheaded playcalling is not really going to be able to be measured by games in which coaches are more looking at how certain players are playing, and not trying to win the game at all costs.

Oh no, boo hoo, Neil Rackers didn't get an attempt on a second FG, here let me change my avatar to something with pink soap on it to reflect my anger at my favorite NFL team! I am angry I tells ya! *writes a long post on a message board* *Opens a beer at 11am on a Sunday because I miss football and argument*

Hervoyel
08-15-2010, 12:58 PM

You were looking for fundamental football in the first preseason game? Making the 51 yard kick meant overtime. I'd rather take the meaningless loss than stay out there and risk getting someone hurt for a meaningless win. The decision was based on the bigger picture. You already lost your 2nd round rookie RB. Go home, look at the film, stay healthy.

Preseason games should be allowed to end in a tie.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 01:00 PM
when you have 10 seconds and a 51 yard feild goal and a kicker competition, It would be best to try the kicker to see if he could rise to the occasion in a game type situation. the way itn was played we will never know and a decision on which kicker hangs in the ballance. It is evident that Brown is the man to beat and there really is no competition.

The only reason you wouldn't try a FG in that situation is if you were trying to rig the K competition. Oh well atleast if Rackers had made the FG we wouldn't have been put through the torture of wacthing K.Brown miss a game winning FG in OT.

Looks like K.Brown is goiung to be the K next year. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

To answer the Aggie ? the answer is that's just what Aggies do. LOL

TexanBacker93
08-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Why would you play for overtime in a preseason game? It's like going to extra innings in spring training. Nothing is really going to come out of it and you risk suffering an injury if you go to OT.

I don't look at it as playing for OT, but giving Rackers a fair chance to win the kicking competition. It would be much easier on the coaches to eliminate OT in preseason.

Bronco Texan
08-15-2010, 01:13 PM

Are you kidding me? Please tell me you are not that ignorant. Every coach does the same exact thing Kubes did. You don't play for overtime in a preseason game. What if Rackets makes it and we lose a few players to injuries? Well at least we know one of our kickers can make a non pressure kick in a meaningless game. Where do you guys come up with this crap?

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 01:15 PM
The only reason you wouldn't try a FG in that situation is if you were trying to rig the K competition. Oh well atleast if Rackers had made the FG we wouldn't have been put through the torture of wacthing K.Brown miss a game winning FG in OT.

Looks like K.Brown is goiung to be the K next year. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

No, the ONLY reason you do not try a FG in that situation is it would have been beyond moronic to send a pre-seaon game into overtime when you have 3 others to see what kicker comes out on top...

Use your heads for more than hat racks people.....

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 01:17 PM

This whole thread is an epic fail from the start... YOU DO NOT KICK GAME TYING FGs TO SEND PRE-SEASON GAMES INTO OVERTIME!!!!

think before you post, please....

Dan B.
08-15-2010, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't mind a little more preseason play. Our 3's and 4's need a ton of game day reps. The more the better. Sure one more quarter increases the chance of injury, but it also gives those backups vital time on the field. It's worth the tradeoff to me, especially since it wouldn't be Dre and Schaub behind the OL in OT.

TexansFanatic
08-15-2010, 01:20 PM
YOU DO NOT KICK GAME TYING FGs TO SEND PRE-SEASON GAMES INTO OVERTIME!!!!

I agree. It's preseason. Your players had seen enough live action and you've already lost your second round pick for a very long time in meaningless play.

Why expose more players to possible season-ending injury?

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 01:21 PM
I wouldn't mind a little more preseason play. Our 3's and 4's need a ton of game day reps. The more the better. Sure one more quarter increases the chance of injury, but it also gives those backups vital time on the field. It's worth the tradeoff to me, especially since it wouldn't be Dre and Schaub behind the OL in OT.

That is what the 4th Pre-Season game is for. The 3-4s play the entire game...

bckey
08-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Are you kidding me? Please tell me you are not that ignorant. Every coach does the same exact thing Kubes did. You don't play for overtime in a preseason game. What if Rackets makes it and we lose a few players to injuries? Well at least we know one of our kickers can make a non pressure kick in a meaningless game. Where do you guys come up with this crap?

Why not let Rackers kick it and if he makes it end the game and go home. Why is there overtime in preseason? I've never seen it. Just end it in a tie.

Dan B.
08-15-2010, 01:24 PM
That is what the 4th Pre-Season game is for. The 3-4s play the entire game...

Right. I believe that they need more than just 6 or 7 quarters spread out over 4 games to accurately gauge their abilities. I don't get the terror that a player will get injured. Tons of players get injured in practice too, but I wouldn't suggest that Kubiak end practices early because he's worried someone might pull a hammy.

There is a risk of being injured every time you play a football game. That's part of playing in the NFL. I'd like to see as much of what we have before the real games start. I think it would help those players immensely to get another 20-30 plays on a football field, and it would help our coaches accurately evaluate who they have on their roster.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 01:29 PM

It's a wonder why some of you guys aren't coaching your very own NFL team. You make it sound so easy.

Wolf
08-15-2010, 01:35 PM
for the record I feel this was a no win situation
being what happened, happened, I can see people upset and want to see a long field goal

I also see if we sent rackers in and he shanked a 51 yarder we'd have people calling for Kubiaks head because Rackers has made a career (BTW that is 10 years of kicking) 48.7 percent from beyond 50 yards and he is 74.3 between 40-49 .. and we should have ran one more play to get more into Rackers range

so pick your poison

now if he made a 51 yarder, well some would be telling Brown to pack his bags already.

hey it is preseason.. who knows, maybe the Texans wanted to see what JB could do with a few seconds left and if he could make a good decision.

b0ng
08-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Right. I believe that they need more than just 6 or 7 quarters spread out over 4 games to accurately gauge their abilities. I don't get the terror that a player will get injured. Tons of players get injured in practice too, but I wouldn't suggest that Kubiak end practices early because he's worried someone might pull a hammy.

There is a risk of being injured every time you play a football game. That's part of playing in the NFL. I'd like to see as much of what we have before the real games start. I think it would help those players immensely to get another 20-30 plays on a football field, and it would help our coaches accurately evaluate who they have on their roster.

Considering you think there's a risk of being injured every time you play a football game, why would you want to continue a meaningless football game just so a kicker can get 1 extra kick in? Are we afraid that Rackers not getting that last kick is going to tip the competition in Browns favor? Are we going overboard on assumptions a day after our first preseason game? Is it possible that both of these kickers are going to get to kick more balls to the uprights in the next 3 games?

I think it's pretty obvious that we don't want to injury settle a slew of 4th stringers because we just needed to know more about Rackers in the very first game.

I just don't get all this second guessing because we didn't get to see some OT in a preseason game. I'd rather our players (yes even the 8th stringers or whatever) play the game and go home without taking unnecessary risks in meaningless games. Like 4 quarters of preseason football, isn't enough to draw any conclusions we need more more more. Seriously, complaining about what a coach does in preseason in terms of play calling just screams that posters on here need something to complain about to feel satisfied with themselves and their NFL team. There's not much point in putting more players at risk of an injury in a game that's meant for evaluation purposes and not actual records and post season implications.

GP
08-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Why not let Rackers kick it and if he makes it end the game and go home. Why is there overtime in preseason? I've never seen it. Just end it in a tie.

[/thread]

This should happen. Just end the game in a tie. Nobody has to win a preseason game.

Dan B.
08-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Considering you think there's a risk of being injured every time you play a football game, why would you want to continue a meaningless football game just so a kicker can get 1 extra kick in? Are we afraid that Rackers not getting that last kick is going to tip the competition in Browns favor? Are we going overboard on assumptions a day after our first preseason game? Is it possible that both of these kickers are going to get to kick more balls to the uprights in the next 3 games?

I wouldn't do it just to get one more kick in. I am saying that I would not shy away from a FG kick out of fear that a professional football player would get hurt if he played football. That's why we pay them.

I think it's pretty obvious that we don't want to injury settle a slew of 4th stringers because we just needed to know more about Rackers in the very first game.

Again, it's not just Rackers. It's letting players (many of whom will not see the field during the regular season unless a regular player gets injured) get some time in real game situations. They won't get very much of it in the future, unless we are forced to throw them in due to an injury to a regular rotation player.

I just don't get all this second guessing because we didn't get to see some OT in a preseason game. I'd rather our players (yes even the 8th stringers or whatever) play the game and go home without taking unnecessary risks in meaningless games. Like 4 quarters of preseason football, isn't enough to draw any conclusions we need more more more. Seriously, complaining about what a coach does in preseason in terms of play calling just screams that posters on here need something to complain about to feel satisfied with themselves and their NFL team. There's not much point in putting more players at risk of an injury in a game that's meant for evaluation purposes and not actual records and post season implications.

You are going to put players at risk of an injury every time you evaluate them. Whether it's a dead practice or a preseason game. I don't think that players are significantly more likely to be injured in a preseason game on Saturday Night than they are in practice on Monday.

It does, however, give you a chance to see more of what you have on your roster. I truly believe that you get a better handle on a guy when they are playing an opponent on another roster than you do from letting your offense practice against your defense.

I am not saying that you should force OT in a preseason game. If JJ was wide open on an 80 yard bomb, I wouldn't suggest he take a knee at the one so Rackers could kick one and tie the game instead.

I am saying that you can't shy away from what would usually be a very common sense move out of fear that someone may hypothetically get injured.

dc_txtech
08-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Sending the game into OT would have gotten Kubes flamed a lot harder than what he's catching now. I agree with others that preseason games should end in ties and not overtime.

Also, something no one is mentioning is the fact that if Rackers wins the kicker job it wont be for kicking 50 yarders. The guy is 5/18 from 50+ over the last 4 seasons, he didn't even attempt one last year because he just doesn't have the leg to do it.

b0ng
08-15-2010, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't do it just to get one more kick in. I am saying that I would not shy away from a FG kick out of fear that a professional football player would get hurt if he played football. That's why we pay them.

Again, it's not just Rackers. It's letting players (many of whom will not see the field during the regular season unless a regular player gets injured) get some time in real game situations. They won't get very much of it in the future, unless we are forced to throw them in due to an injury to a regular rotation player.

You are going to put players at risk of an injury every time you evaluate them. Whether it's a dead practice or a preseason game. I don't think that players are significantly more likely to be injured in a preseason game on Saturday Night than they are in practice on Monday.

It does, however, give you a chance to see more of what you have on your roster. I truly believe that you get a better handle on a guy when they are playing an opponent on another roster than you do from letting your offense practice against your defense.

I am not saying that you should force OT in a preseason game. If JJ was wide open on an 80 yard bomb, I wouldn't suggest he take a knee at the one so Rackers could kick one and tie the game instead.

I am saying that you can't shy away from what would usually be a very common sense move out of fear that someone may hypothetically get injured.

The problem is when is enough evaluation enough? Why are we putting our players in situations where they can get injured needlessly? Okay, I understand that there is a possibility for injuries in all quarters of a preseason game, so why even force yet another quarter? For evaluation? I think the previous quarters have plenty of that. And it's not really "common sense" to keep your guys out there when there is no point to doing it. You've got plenty of tape on your fringe/bubble guys already what's the point of needlessly forcing more? So that we can see some guys who probably won't make a roster take chances at injuring each other some more? I don't get the sense to that at all. Kubiak decided he had seen enough for one game, had JDB take one more shot at the endzone and then called it a game and people are upset about it. I think we are all aware of the kicking battle going on here, but there's still 12 more quarters of play left to make that decision, and one kicker getting another attempt over another is not going make up anybody's minds.

I get that we people here on TT like to ***** about a lot of things, but I just don't see why people are choosing this as some sort of conspiracy that Kubiak wants Brown back, or that it was a "boneheaded" play call to go for it, or that we aren't getting enough evaluation out of our scrubs. He elected to not go for the FG, not send it into overtime possibly, and that we had enough to go over for the next week about different players. To me this is one of the biggest non-issues I've seen posters here complain about (and with some vitriol too) and it's kind of sickening. Preseason really is a preview for the regular season, even for message boards.

TimeKiller
08-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Worst. Thread. Ever.

Dan B.
08-15-2010, 02:14 PM
The problem is when is enough evaluation enough? Why are we putting our players in situations where they can get injured needlessly? Okay, I understand that there is a possibility for injuries in all quarters of a preseason game, so why even force yet another quarter? For evaluation? I think the previous quarters have plenty of that. And it's not really "common sense" to keep your guys out there when there is no point to doing it. You've got plenty of tape on your fringe/bubble guys already what's the point of needlessly forcing more? So that we can see some guys who probably won't make a roster take chances at injuring each other some more? I don't get the sense to that at all. Kubiak decided he had seen enough for one game, had JDB take one more shot at the endzone and then called it a game and people are upset about it. I think we are all aware of the kicking battle going on here, but there's still 12 more quarters of play left to make that decision, and one kicker getting another attempt over another is not going make up anybody's minds.

I get that we people here on TT like to ***** about a lot of things, but I just don't see why people are choosing this as some sort of conspiracy that Kubiak wants Brown back, or that it was a "boneheaded" play call to go for it, or that we aren't getting enough evaluation out of our scrubs. He elected to not go for the FG, not send it into overtime possibly, and that we had enough to go over for the next week about different players. To me this is one of the biggest non-issues I've seen posters here complain about (and with some vitriol too) and it's kind of sickening. Preseason really is a preview for the regular season, even for message boards.

I don't think I am expressing my issue adequately. I shouldn't have said that attempting a 51 yard FG is a common sense move. It isn't when your kicker(s) suck. I don't have a problem with declining to take a 51 yard kick because you don't think your kicker has the leg. It may say something about your battle of kickers that you still don't have a guy that can kick a 50 yarder, but it makes strategic sense to turn down the kick.

I have a specific problem with using the risk of injury in an extended game as a reason to decline the kick. That just seems like a poor excuse to me. It doesn't make sense. As you said, there is plenty of tape already of players playing football (though not in a game situation). There are so many other times that a player is at risk of injury (and we have seen countless examples of players getting hurt in practice) that I don't think possible injury in 15 minutes of game time is a legitimate reason to forego OT. Bad kicking? Sure. He might get hurt if he plays? Doesn't fly with me.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 02:18 PM
No, the ONLY reason you do not try a FG in that situation is it would have been beyond moronic to send a pre-seaon game into overtime when you have 3 others to see what kicker comes out on top...

Use your heads for more than hat racks people.....

The only people that would have the possility of getting hurt would've been JDB and the rest of the 3rd stringers. If the Texans have to depend on any of those guys in the reg.season their screwed.

OTHO they need to find out who their kicker is going to be, and that would've been the optimal situation to see what they had.

My hat rack suits me just fine thank you. LOL

houstonspartan
08-15-2010, 02:25 PM
The only people that would have the possility of getting hurt would've been JDB and the rest of the 3rd stringers. If the Texans have to depend on any of those guys in the reg.season their screwed.

OTHO they need to find out who their kicker is going to be, and that would've been the optimal situation to see what they had.

Steel,

I'm on the fence about this issue, but I'm leaning towards your argument. I kind of agree that this would have been the perfect "pressure" situation to test the kickers. But, then again, I think this whole kicking competition is a sham anyway and they're going to give it to Kris Brown (mistake) at the end of the day.

On the other hand, I see the point about the risks of overtime in pre-season.

Yeah, I'm waffling on this one. Something I usually don't do. lol.

There are arguments on both sides here.

Speedy
08-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I think complaining about playcalling in the pre-season is pretty damn silly. Remember, the objectives in pre-season are completely different than the objectives in the regular season (which is to win). Boneheaded playcalling is not really going to be able to be measured by games in which coaches are more looking at how certain players are playing, and not trying to win the game at all costs.

Agreed. Pre-season football is not the same game. You don't have the same game plan so the playcalling is going to be different. Example, let's say you have first and goal at the one. You bring your goal line package in and you're going to run it right up the middle (4 times if you have to) to get the work in for your goal line package. Fans complain that they should have passed, bootleg, anything, but that's not what they were working on in this situation of a meaningless game.

The goal in pre-season is NOT to put a W up in the win column of the PRE-SEASON STANDINGS. You don't get jack squat going 4-0 in pre-season. Just ask the '08 Lions.

And FWIW, I have no problem running another play in that situation even if it was regular season. Just don't take a sack like they did.

sportfan73
08-15-2010, 02:26 PM
This whole thread is an epic fail from the start... YOU DO NOT KICK GAME TYING FGs TO SEND PRE-SEASON GAMES INTO OVERTIME!!!!

my thoughts as well, but would have liked to see Rackers/Brown w/ the chance to make a pressure kick, but after Tate's injury I wouldn't have been surprised if that was a 10 yard out then some sort of shot at the end zone.

b0ng
08-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I don't think I am expressing my issue adequately. I shouldn't have said that attempting a 51 yard FG is a common sense move. It isn't when your kicker(s) suck. I don't have a problem with declining to take a 51 yard kick because you don't think your kicker has the leg. It may say something about your battle of kickers that you still don't have a guy that can kick a 50 yarder, but it makes strategic sense to turn down the kick.

I have a specific problem with using the risk of injury in an extended game as a reason to decline the kick. That just seems like a poor excuse to me. It doesn't make sense. As you said, there is plenty of tape already of players playing football (though not in a game situation). There are so many other times that a player is at risk of injury (and we have seen countless examples of players getting hurt in practice) that I don't think possible injury in 15 minutes of game time is a legitimate reason to forego OT. Bad kicking? Sure. He might get hurt if he plays? Doesn't fly with me.

Here's the thing though, you have said that there is a risk of injury each and every time you take the field. Okay, we all can agree that is the case. So why are you going to take that risk when the payoff is going to be. . . seeing a kicker attempt a 51 yarder? He makes the FG, great, but now you have to send your guys out there again, on a KR where players get injured all the time, and then for regular play where people get injured. The reasoning might not "fly" with you, but it's sound enough reasoning to not put more risk to your players just for some FG evaluation. I did say there was plenty of tape on players playing football (And yes, even in game situations, since we now have 4 quarters of "game tape"), so why are we going to go for even more tape?

Practice is completely different, and you cannot forgo practice because of injuries, but practice is completely different than OT in a preseason game. In fact, just saying "Overtime in the preseason" just smacks of stupid risks that will net you nothing in return. There's not enough reward to risking extra injuries for no discernible in a preseason game. Again, comparing practice, to OT in a meaningless game is kind of silly as neither situation similar at all.

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 02:30 PM

No, those 3rd stingers are depth and this has been the deepest the Texans have ever been. You don't screw with that for a meaningless pre-season game. There are plenty of opportunities in the next 3 to determine who the stupid kicker is going to be....

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Steel,

I'm on the fence about this issue, but I'm leaning towards your argument. I kind of agree that this would have been the perfect "pressure" situation to test the kickers. But, then again, I think this whole kicking competition is a sham anyway and they're going to give it to Kris Brown (mistake) at the end of the day.

On the other hand, I see the point about the risks of overtime in pre-season.

Yeah, I'm waffling on this one. Something I usually don't do. lol.

There are arguments on both sides here.

but only one makes sense, you do not kick FGs to send pre-season games into overtime...

Dan B.
08-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Here's the thing though, you have said that there is a risk of injury each and every time you take the field. Okay, we all can agree that is the case. So why are you going to take that risk when the payoff is going to be. . . seeing a kicker attempt a 51 yarder? He makes the FG, great, but now you have to send your guys out there again, on a KR where players get injured all the time, and then for regular play where people get injured. The reasoning might not "fly" with you, but it's sound enough reasoning to not put more risk to your players just for some FG evaluation. I did say there was plenty of tape on players playing football (And yes, even in game situations, since we now have 4 quarters of "game tape"), so why are we going to go for even more tape?

Practice is completely different, and you cannot forgo practice because of injuries, but practice is completely different than OT in a preseason game. In fact, just saying "Overtime in the preseason" just smacks of stupid risks that will net you nothing in return. There's not enough reward to risking extra injuries for no discernible in a preseason game. Again, comparing practice, to OT in a meaningless game is kind of silly as neither situation similar at all.

Preseason OT is meaningless from the perspective of having to win. And I wouldn't suggest Kubiak play OT to win. You play it to see what you have. Like I said earlier I think that you learn more from players in situations against other teams than you do from seeing them practice against the same guys over and over. I think there is much more payoff from 15 minutes of real time game play than just one FG attempt. IMO the reward of putting players in real time situations is more than you are claiming, and the risk isn't as high either. I don't think it's a stupid risk to play a few more series against an actual opponent because I don't think the risk of injury is really that much greater. I don't think it's any higher than the chance a player hurts themselves in any other situation. If risk of injury is the concern, than simply give the guys that played 15 minutes off from practice the next week, or make everyone else do 30 more drills.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 02:55 PM
but only one makes sense, you do not kick FGs to send pre-season games into overtime...

Your mind cant be changed. LOL

But when K.Brown wins the K job and then does what K.Brown does. (suck) costs the team 1/2 games.

I dont want to here any crap.

b0ng
08-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Preseason OT is meaningless from the perspective of having to win. And I wouldn't suggest Kubiak play OT to win. You play it to see what you have. Like I said earlier I think that you learn more from players in situations against other teams than you do from seeing them practice against the same guys over and over. I think there is much more payoff from 15 minutes of real time game play than just one FG attempt. IMO the reward of putting players in real time situations is more than you are claiming, and the risk isn't as high either. I don't think it's a stupid risk to play a few more series against an actual opponent because I don't think the risk of injury is really that much greater. I don't think it's any higher than the chance a player hurts themselves in any other situation. If risk of injury is the concern, than simply give the guys that played 15 minutes off from practice the next week, or make everyone else do 30 more drills.

It's silly to do that though because you've already played 60 minutes of game-time football, and it's not a pressure situation. Again, these guys playing in OT aren't some cohesive unit, they are just a bunch of guys trying to make a team and most of them have not played next to their counterparts for very long. It's a pretty stupid risk to keep that game going for evaluation purposes, because that's what you should have been doing for the other 4 quarters. The risk of injury is always there, so why are we going to keep that risk going? It sounds like you think that the risk of injury is the same no matter the situation be it doing cone drills in practice or having your 3's go against another teams 3's in a game that everybody knows is for evaluation. I don't think it is. I think the potential for injuries is much much worse when playing unfamiliar players, and especially playing against unfamiliar players who are on the cusp of getting cut.

If there was no such thing as OT in the preseason my stance would be completely different and I would wonder curiously why we didn't try to see how Rackers would do with a 51 yard attempt. However, that isn't the case, thus I say, why extend the time for possible injuries with no real tangible reward from it. Fifteen minutes more of game time isn't going to make a coach or coordinator go "Oh hey I'm glad we got to see more of this guy!" it's just going to end up with either nobody getting hurt (best case scenario) or that UDFA hopeful you got going down with a horrific injury possibly ending a career. The risk/reward ratio really sucks for sending a preseason game into overtime.

houstonspartan
08-15-2010, 03:06 PM
Your mind cant be changed. LOL

But when K.Brown wins the K job and then does what K.Brown does. (suck) costs the team 1/2 games.

I dont want to here any crap.

That's what I'm worried about. The very idea of K Brown being on the team makes me nervous.

Dan B.
08-15-2010, 03:11 PM
It's silly to do that though because you've already played 60 minutes of game-time football, and it's not a pressure situation. Again, these guys playing in OT aren't some cohesive unit, they are just a bunch of guys trying to make a team and most of them have not played next to their counterparts for very long. It's a pretty stupid risk to keep that game going for evaluation purposes, because that's what you should have been doing for the other 4 quarters. The risk of injury is always there, so why are we going to keep that risk going? It sounds like you think that the risk of injury is the same no matter the situation be it doing cone drills in practice or having your 3's go against another teams 3's in a game that everybody knows is for evaluation. I don't think it is. I think the potential for injuries is much much worse when playing unfamiliar players, and especially playing against unfamiliar players who are on the cusp of getting cut.

If there was no such thing as OT in the preseason my stance would be completely different and I would wonder curiously why we didn't try to see how Rackers would do with a 51 yard attempt. However, that isn't the case, thus I say, why extend the time for possible injuries with no real tangible reward from it. Fifteen minutes more of game time isn't going to make a coach or coordinator go "Oh hey I'm glad we got to see more of this guy!" it's just going to end up with either nobody getting hurt (best case scenario) or that UDFA hopeful you got going down with a horrific injury possibly ending a career. The risk/reward ratio really sucks for sending a preseason game into overtime.

They aren't a cohesive unit because they haven't jelled yet. More reps = more cohesiveness.

I think the best case scenario is that a player leaps out at you from nowhere and dominates the overtime, becoming a starter overnight. That's also not going to happen, which is why it's a best case scenario. The most likely scenario (which is still better than your "best case" scenario) is that players who desperately need to play in a new system get to do just that. More practice is not a bad thing. I don't think more real time game practice (which is all preseason is) is a bad thing either. It's going to help a guy more than it hurts him. The chances that he learns something from those 15 minutes are higher than the chances he suffers a career ending injury.

Of course the chances of being injured in preseason play are greater than the odds of getting hurt on a cone drill. But for full speed practices I think the chances are just as high. I'd be interested in seeing some data on it -- I can think of multiple players that suffer season/career ending injuries in practice. It happens all the time. 3rd stringers on the verge are still going to go all out whether it's practice in front of just the DC or a preseason game with the camera on them.

Are you a fan of preseason in general? Is it too long/too short right now in your opinion? I am asking because a lot of your argument against preseason OT seems to be the argument that people make against preseason in general. I don't like that owners charge regular season prices for preseason games, but I think that preseason really helps a team before the season starts. I think that reducing it to two games would hurt a lot of marginal players. I think they need those games.

b0ng
08-15-2010, 03:22 PM
They aren't a cohesive unit because they are 3rd and 4th stringers and coaches priorities usually involve making sure your starters represent that well-oiled machine you want.

Your best case scenario can also happen in the 2nd 3rd and 4th quarters of any preseason game, which are going to be played regardless of the score. Trying to force more reps on these players when they've already been playing for 60 minutes is going to lead to more injuries and not much else. Guys jumping out with talent are going to do the same thing in the other 4 quarters so why are we risking more injuries with more reps? Because we need to see the fringe players playing against other fringe players? What is 15 more minutes going to get you in terms of this evaluation? Not much if anything at all, and there's a whole world of bad things that could happen.

Full speed practices do injure players, but I've seen a heck of a lot more injuries in these meaningless games. Practices are a controlled environment and there is much more down time in a practice than there is in a preseason game. I'd have to say your assertion that both offer the same risk is either overstating the risk in practice, or understating the risk in preseason. They aren't the same situation and they don't present the same hurdles.

Preseason does have it's purpose. It lets your starters go out and shake off some rust, it gives you an open eye to players that normally wouldn't see playing time in the regular season. However, trying to force more into a preseason than what is normal opens you up to even more possibilities of guys that you might have pegged as a "diamond in the rough" to injury and catastrophe. Preseason serves a purpose, but to say that it opens you up to injuries no more than practice is disingenuous at best. I'd leave the preseason alone as it is right now, but I would not force OT in any preseason game. Play 4 quarters and then go home and evaluate film. Nobody is feeling extra pressure to perform in a preseason OT like they would in a regular season game, and you can't just try to re-create it without opening yourself to risks. Risks, that in the preseason, are avoidable and don't net you much.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 03:46 PM

Gotta keep those 3rd stringers and street FA's healthy or the season will go down in flames. It's not like Schaub and AJ were out there.

I mean does it really matter if Booty or some guy of his ilk goes down in OT?

Actually it might be better for a guy like Dickerson to get more live reps as he transitions from TE to WR. You cant live in fear of injuries to 3rd stringers or you will drive yourself crazy.

Oh BTW sometimes 3rd stringers that get hurt would've been cut,because they got injured they get placed on IR. Which means they get their full rookie salary. Instead of getting cut and only getting their signing bonus.

b0ng
08-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Gotta keep those 3rd stringers and street FA's healthy or the season will go down in flames. It's not like Schaub and AJ were out there.

I mean does it really matter if Booty or some guy of his ilk goes down in OT?

I think it matters to the extent of having to pick and choose between players because they are all healthy, and having to just say "Welp this is what we got lets go for it!" Know what I'm saying.

Of course all of my arguments have been made null and moot since Kubiak stated he wanted to kick the FG if the pass was incomplete. So there you go, Gary Kubiak would've loved to have had himself some hot OT preseason action.

J_R
08-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Heard this: Kubiak's plan was basically hail mary(a TD) or it would be an incompletion, so he thought he'd still have time to get a kick off. Make of that what you will.

Lucky
08-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Of course all of my arguments have been made null and moot since Kubiak stated he wanted to kick the FG if the pass was incomplete. So there you go, Gary Kubiak would've loved to have had himself some hot OT preseason action.
Which is why his clock management is being questioned.

I've had enough. On to N'awlins.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 03:56 PM

How is it a clock management issue?

If the kid wouldn't have stumbled over his running back, Gary would have sent out the kicking unit.

You can't blame Kubiak's clock management because he didn't figure enough time for the keystone cop backfield, especially when they hadn't done anything like that all night.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 04:04 PM
How is it a clock management issue?

If the kid wouldn't have stumbled over his running back, Gary would have sent out the kicking unit.

You can't blame Kubiak's clock management because he didn't figure enough time for the keystone cop backfield, especially when they hadn't done anything like that all night.

I've questioned his clock management since year 1. Watch this year there will be 1/2 Colts games. His replay challenges are maddening. I bet he's below the league avg on replay reviews.

Point is those keystone cops shouldn't be put in that position to begin with. I could see taking that chance with Schaub and AJ in the game but not a bunch of 3rd stringers.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 04:30 PM
I've questioned his clock management since year 1. Watch this year there will be 1/2 Colts games. His replay challenges are maddening. I bet he's below the league avg on replay reviews.

Point is those keystone cops shouldn't be put in that position to begin with. I could see taking that chance with Schaub and AJ in the game but not a bunch of 3rd stringers.

We're talking about dropping back to pass, and determining whether or not you should throw the ball into the stands.

You're saying we should only do that if AJ & Schaub are on the field?

Really?

C'mon man

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 04:59 PM

Speaking of the champs, are we going to spend a week down there scrimmaging with them since they came here last year (and whooped our butts)?

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 05:01 PM
We're talking about dropping back to pass, and determining whether or not you should throw the ball into the stands.

You're saying we should only do that if AJ & Schaub are on the field?

Really?

C'mon man

That's what I'm saying.

Although I understand what you're saying. I sure would've liked to see Rackers and for that matter Brown get a chance to kick that FG in that pressure situation.

Rey
08-15-2010, 05:35 PM

I think we've been screwed a couple times on some of the calls, but besides that a lot of those calls are on the booth upstairs.

It makes no sense to handle 3rd stringers with kid gloves in the pre-season. You treat them like starters because you're trying to see if you can depend on them in the regular season. I could see if we had third string backs and QB in the game wk 1 against the Colts for some reason, but these are 3rd stringers against other 3rd stringers...They should be expected to get it done.

And I'm aware that Kubiak has had his clock management skills questioned, but if I recall some of those were controversial...He hasn't been perfect in that area by any means, but I think some of it is Kubiak being aggressive...like last night

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 05:39 PM
That's what I'm saying.

Although I understand what you're saying. I sure would've liked to see Rackers and for that matter Brown get a chance to kick that FG in that pressure situation.

I get that. The man said it was part of his plan to do just that. But he is evaluating more than just a kicker. I understand you have no interest in how the QB, RB, and OL pick up blitzes, especially the third string guys, but maybe That's why he is where he is, and you are where you are.

Not meant to be a knock, but if he's doing his job, and looking at the future, evaluating those 7 guys is just as valuable as evaluating the kicking ability of a guy who has been kicking in this league for over a decade. Trust me, there isn't anything new there. He's the same kicker he has been.

Norg
08-15-2010, 06:40 PM
yes even more dumb on booty when they clearly showed all out blitz yet booty doesnot throw it into the stands ...... ???? or spikes the ball

Joe Texan
08-15-2010, 10:01 PM
you pretty much sealed the deal with kris brown. he can hit the 51 yarder and the coach wont give Rackers a try. Kubiaks clock skills are non existant he would probably ignore the clock even if flav o flav was right beside him the whole game. I saw good things during this game I just hope Matt and company can build enough of a lead so this does not matter.

Wolf
08-15-2010, 10:20 PM
you pretty much sealed the deal with kris brown. he can hit the 51 yarder and the coach wont give Rackers a try. Kubiaks clock skills are non existant he would probably ignore the clock even if flav o flav was right beside him the whole game. I saw good things during this game I just hope Matt and company can build enough of a lead so this does not matter.

:facepalm:

buddyboy
08-15-2010, 10:22 PM

I don't understand why so many people are upset that Rackers didn't get the last kick. Sure, it would have been nice, but you're acting like "whelp, that's it for the competition."

I will bet you a trillion dollars that the competition will continue and GASP! Rackers will have another chance. Any takers?

JB
08-15-2010, 10:22 PM

Never heard you so negative Joe. Chill. It's just the first pre-season game and the 3rd string blew it on both sides of the ball. Things will be fine.

SheTexan
08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
That's what I'm worried about. The very idea of K Brown being on the team makes me nervous.

The very idea of Steve Slaton being on the team makes me nervous!

The very idea of Dan Orlovsky being on the team makes me nervous!

The very idea of Bennett being on the team makes me nervous!

The very idea of Chris Henry being on the team makes me nervous!

Need I go on??? Kris Brown is not the only member of our team last year who did NOT earn his salary!! He let us down, and it will be HARD for some fans to forgive him for the Titan and Colts messup! BUT, he did not lose the SEASON all by himself! THere were a lot of screwups on both sides of the ball. Blame the team, not just one player!

As for the title of this thread, it just shows one more reason why I detest TEXAS fans!! Joe! I'm going to remember this thread when you start praising Kubiak for taking us to the playoffs, and beyond! Be careful what you post, it might come back to bite you in the butt!!

Revolution
08-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Oh no, boo hoo, Neil Rackers didn't get an attempt on a second FG, here let me change my avatar to something with pink soap on it to reflect my anger at my favorite NFL team! I am angry I tells ya! *writes a long post on a message board* *Opens a beer at 11am on a Sunday because I miss football and argument*

I stopped reading the thread after reading this one. You are one of the few who understand preseason football and what Gary was trying to accomplish. Geez!

Goodnight...

beerlover
08-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Never heard you so negative Joe. Chill. It's just the first pre-season game and the 3rd string blew it on both sides of the ball. Things will be fine.

this about says it all for me -

There's an old saying:
For want of a nail...
the horseshoe was lost.
For want of horseshoe...
the steed was lost.
For want of a steed...
the message was not delivered.
For want of an undelivered message...
the war was lost.

- Sonny Chiba, Yakuza boss in Toyko Drift

bckey
08-16-2010, 12:15 AM
That's what I'm saying.

Me too.

houstonspartan
08-16-2010, 01:15 AM
The very idea of Steve Slaton being on the team makes me nervous!

The very idea of Dan Orlovsky being on the team makes me nervous!

The very idea of Bennett being on the team makes me nervous!

The very idea of Chris Henry being on the team makes me nervous!

Need I go on??? Kris Brown is not the only member of our team last year who did NOT earn his salary!! He let us down, and it will be HARD for some fans to forgive him for the Titan and Colts messup! BUT, he did not lose the SEASON all by himself! THere were a lot of screwups on both sides of the ball. Blame the team, not just one player!

As for the title of this thread, it just shows one more reason why I detest TEXAS fans!! Joe! I'm going to remember this thread when you start praising Kubiak for taking us to the playoffs, and beyond! Be careful what you post, it might come back to bite you in the butt!!

You can't be serious.

Ok, clearly you don't understand that the kicker is one of the most important players on the team. Newsflash: He is. And his entire job is to kick. That's it.

A kick here, a kick there adds up. Those are some serious points, when taken as a whole.

And, I'm tired of the "But other players have screwed up" argument. So what? What does that have to do with Kris Brown? He should have made quite a few of those kicks.

bah007
08-16-2010, 01:57 AM
I think Kubiak made the right decision. It's a preseason game. Winning or losing doesn't matter in these games. And there is no reason to play for overtime.

Plus, Kubiak has at least 20 cuts that he has to make before the season starts. Kicker isn't the only position battle going on right now. And the argument that this kick "under pressure" could have decided the battle is ridiculous anyway. The outcome of the game doesn't matter. So why does this kick carry more pressure than the ones before it?

And beyond that, we are not talking about two rookies here who the coaches have not seen enough of. These are two guys who have been in the league a long time. It is absolutely ridiculous for a coach to decide a position battle based on whether or not a 10 year veteran makes a 51 yd FG in the first preseason game.

We learned more from the play that we ran than we would have from a kick. We learned that Booty can't read a blitz. And even if he can, he obviously didn't know what to do. We learned that the interior OL guys on that play couldn't even buy the QB one whole second of protection. We learned that Chris Henry can't pass protect without running into his QB.

What if one of these guys has to be on the field in a similar situation where we have limited time and need to move a little further for a FG opportunity? Most of them are rookies or close to. Wouldn't you want them to have at least a little experience in a situation like that? Or is it more important that a 10 year veteran with 262 NFL FG attempts gets a try at a FG that is probably out of his range based on his history?

I realize that 99% of Texans fans want Brown to lose this battle. But Rackers making this kick wouldn't have changed a damn thing. I swear to God our fans are the whiniest in the league. It almost seems like sometimes we complain just for the sake of complaining.

Joe Texan
08-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I do not want brown to lose I want a fair assessment. It was a perfect oppurtunity to see that. Kubiak just gave up, I cannot help where he went to College. Fact is I know it is pre season, I know it is not good to stretch a game but it is imperative that we get a kicker that helps this team win every game and our kicker last year kept us out of the playoffs. I remember the Pink Soap rangers so do not try the holier than thou to justify your opinion about a preseason game. Over all I feel this was an awesome first game I was just concerned about the blown call in the last play. in a game situation it is the coach that will take the fall for that situation.

HOU-TEX
08-16-2010, 10:28 AM
I do not want brown to lose I want a fair assessment. It was a perfect oppurtunity to see that. Kubiak just gave up, I cannot help where he went to College. Fact is I know it is pre season, I know it is not good to stretch a game but it is imperative that we get a kicker that helps this team win every game and our kicker last year kept us out of the playoffs. I remember the Pink Soap rangers so do not try the holier than thou to justify your opinion about a preseason game. Over all I feel this was an awesome first game I was just concerned about the blown call in the last play. in a game situation it is the coach that will take the fall for that situation.

And you don't think the rest of camp including 3 more games is enough to make agood decision? You want a decision made after the 1st preseason game?

It's unfortunate how we executed the final play, but it was the right call imo.

DeMarCushPoll
08-16-2010, 10:43 AM

Threads like these are exactly why I rarely ever come on this site anymore. Too many morons that have no clue about football voicing your opinions!

Speedy
08-16-2010, 11:03 AM

There's a whole lot of pre-season left. The pre-season is WAAAAY too long anyway so there's plenty of time for this kickers battle to take place. It doesn't need to be decided on day #1.

steelbtexan
08-16-2010, 11:03 AM

It seems as though you have a firm grasp of what's going on with the coaching decisions.

My $$$$ is on K.Brown being the K next year unless he royaly screws it up this preseason.

beerlover
08-16-2010, 11:09 AM
It seems as though you have a firm grasp of what's going on with the coaching decisions.

My $$$$ is on K.Brown being the K next year unless he royaly screws it up this preseason.

keep hiding him on the bench & we'll never know.....until its the regular season...then its too late. meanwhile Rackers is picked up by another team & back to his old solid kicking ways :turtle:

Dutchrudder
08-16-2010, 11:14 AM
this about says it all for me -

There's an old saying:
For want of a nail...
the horseshoe was lost.
For want of horseshoe...
the steed was lost.
For want of a steed...
the war was lost.

- Sonny Chiba, Yakuza boss in Toyko Drift

You seriously quoted The Fast and the Furious, Tokyo Drift???

I didn't think this thread could fail anymore than it already has, but quoting Tokyo Drift for enlightenment is a new level of fail.

bah007
08-16-2010, 11:30 AM
You seriously quoted The Fast and the Furious, Tokyo Drift???

I didn't think this thread could fail anymore than it already has, but quoting Tokyo Drift for enlightenment is a new level of fail.

That is a proverb that has been around for over 500 years. Its message shouldn't be disregarded just because it was used in a terrible movie.

thunderkyss
08-17-2010, 09:44 AM
I think Kubiak made the right decision. It's a preseason game. Winning or losing doesn't matter in these games. And there is no reason to play for overtime.

Plus, Kubiak has at least 20 cuts that he has to make before the season starts.

Right, I think what is important to remember, is that his decision wasn't to not kick the field goal. It was to see what the team he had on the field would do in that situation, & to kick the field goal. It just so happen the team on the field did much worse than he thought they would, which IMHO is more important to find out, if you ever have to put those guys in a similar situation (we don't know what is going to happen in the future), than what your veteran kicker (whichever one makes the cut) is going to do.

Chris Henry may very well be on the field in the regular season. This is an opportunity to find out what the hell he was thinking, and get it corrected. JDB may be our backup, who knows? IMHO, I want to know if it's worth trying to get him to the PS. If another team wants him, I'm thinking let him go...

Shelly Smith was out there, did he screw up a read?

There were a lot of people being evaluated on that one play. I'm glad we got it on film.

Would have been nice to see the field goal, but oh well.

GlassHalfFull
08-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Right, I think what is important to remember, is that his decision wasn't to not kick the field goal. It was to see what the team he had on the field would do in that situation, & to kick the field goal. It just so happen the team on the field did much worse than he thought they would, which IMHO is more important to find out, if you ever have to put those guys in a similar situation (we don't know what is going to happen in the future), than what your veteran kicker (whichever one makes the cut) is going to do.

The bolded part is what I have been thinking. I was lip reading Gary during the TO. It was very clear he was giving Booty specific instructions about sidelines and getting rid of the ball. Now Gary knows how well he responds in a pressure situation.

Hervoyel
That is a proverb that has been around for over 500 years. Its message shouldn't be disregarded just because it was used in a terrible movie.

Understood but you would think that with over 500 years of use a higher quality source could have been found. :kitten:

Errant Hothy
This thread is full of the lulz.

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 09:56 AM

Are you a ******* ***** Joe?? The last thing you want in preseason is OT. C'mon Joe, you're better than that!! Or so I thought.

Ole Miss Texan
08-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Gawd, McNair is so freakin' cheap.

Oh I'm sorry, wrong thread...

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Gawd, McNair is so freakin' cheap.

Oh I'm sorry, wrong thread...

Oh, don't be so sure. There are a few posters 'round here that could make the connection.

bah007
08-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Understood but you would think that with over 500 years of use a higher quality source could have been found. :kitten:

No debate there.

ChampionTexan
08-17-2010, 10:48 AM

Yeah, it's kind of like attributing a Shakespeare quote to Jersey Shore because Snookie said it on one of the episodes. (Actually, it's exactly like that).

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Wait. What??? The Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift was a terrible movie?? I didn't get that memo.

:hides:

beerlover
08-17-2010, 10:55 AM

got a problem with Sonny Chiba, his lines alone in the movie are worth the watch, was also rock solid in Kill Bill Vol I. was one of the first Japenese film stars (early 60's) to make it big in pictures & martial arts. The Street Fighter in 1974 is a martial arts classic, post Bruce Lee. I consider him as a top shelf actor/entertainer who transcends cultures.

There's an old saying:
For want of a nail...
the horseshoe was lost.
For want of horseshoe...
the steed was lost.
For want of a steed...
the war was lost.

this phrase was spoken in Japanese, with English subtitles so it was easy to transcribe accurately to post here. Can't say that I regret posting what it says, no pun intended, hits the nail on the head how something seemingly trivial can lead to complete meltdown later, those situations where your left asking yourself, "how did this happen?" (Chris Brown lack of confidence last year or Rackers miss in playoffs for example) what I do regret is sharing something of meaning/value to myself & exposing a brillant scene/concept to ignorant prejudice :choke:

Ole Miss Texan
08-17-2010, 11:51 AM
got a problem with Sonny Chiba, his lines alone in the movie are worth the watch, was also rock solid in Kill Bill Vol I. was one of the first Japenese film stars (early 60's) to make it big in pictures & martial arts. The Street Fighter in 1974 is a martial arts classic, post Bruce Lee. I consider him as a top shelf actor/entertainer who transcends cultures.

this phrase was spoken in Japanese, with English subtitles so it was easy to transcribe accurately to post here. Can't say that I regret posting what it says, no pun intended, hits the nail on the head how something seemingly trivial can lead to complete meltdown later, those situations where your left asking yourself, "how did this happen?" (Chris Brown lack of confidence last year or Rackers miss in playoffs for example) what I do regret is sharing something of meaning/value to myself & exposing a brillant scene/concept to ignorant prejudice :choke:

You are being 2 fast, 2 furious...

steelbtexan
08-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Oh, don't be so sure. There are a few posters 'round here that could make the connection.

McNair is a Gawd.

Whoops wrong thread

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 12:18 PM
McNair is a Gawd.

Whoops wrong thread

I haven't seen that thread...

Then again, it's probably because that thread doesn't exist and no one here ever said that.

DexmanC
08-17-2010, 01:49 PM
What Kubiak thinks of this thread (Read His Lips)...

http://i45.tinypic.com/116p6o9.jpg

JB
08-17-2010, 01:51 PM

But, Gary has no passion!

Ole Miss Texan
08-17-2010, 01:53 PM

Haha!! :toast2:

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 02:05 PM
But, Gary has no passion!

He's meek and mild to boot.

HouSportsWriter
08-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Gary is a Aggie?? *jumps on fire kubiak bandwagon*

go horns!

beerlover
08-17-2010, 03:10 PM
You are being 2 fast, 2 furious...

your probably right Gaijin, how about this -

There's a new saying:
For want of conclusion to the game...
the FG was not attempted...
For want of game time pressure situation...
the opportunity was lost.
For want of the best FG Kicker...
the choice between Brown & Rackers was less clear.
For want of clear cut winner...
the better kicker was lost.

Dutchrudder
08-17-2010, 04:12 PM

It's like quoting Romeo and Juliet, but accrediting Leonardo Dicaprio instead of Shakespeare. You know the original source says the same thing, but the context of the one you reference undermines the credibility of the words. Tokyo Drift was a terrible movie that no amount of Sonny Chiba could salvage into being a decent film.

Anyways, your football parody of it is definitely deserving rep :tiphat:

Dwade
08-17-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't like how he basically played to lose by not attempting the field goal. Kicker is a crucial need to be resolved, and now we don't know how Rackers will respond to a long field goal.

C Madd
08-17-2010, 11:41 PM
I don't like how he basically played to lose by not attempting the field goal. Kicker is a crucial need to be resolved, and now we don't know how Rackers will respond to a long field goal.

Rackers will get plenty of chances to kick field goals in the remaining 3 preseason games without the chance of sending a meaningless game into an extra quarter that just provides more opportunity for players to get hurt.

JB
08-18-2010, 12:00 AM

If I was a bit more sober, I would give you a more cognitive answer. As it is, all I got is pbbbbbbttttttttttttttt!

C Madd
08-18-2010, 12:04 AM
If I was a bit more sober, I would give you a more cognitive answer. As it is, all I got is pbbbbbbttttttttttttttt!

Well put :)

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2010, 12:09 AM

OR...

You could look at it that Kubiak played to win. He put the ball in the player's hands and said "Win the game." He gave the players the right play, they just needed to get it done. And they didn't.

Most coaches, when given the chance in a preseason game, will "play to win" instead of "play to tie." I remember a preseason game a few years ago and I think it was the Chiefs with Dick Vermiel as the head coach. With a few second left, down by 7 points, the Chiefs scored a touchdown. Instead of kicking the extra pont and sending the game to overtime, Vermeil went for the 2 point conversion.

This is the same thing. And I don't care what Kubiak said about how he was planning on kicking if they could have stopped the clock. He probably would have gone for another bomb to try to win it instead of trying to tie it.

The kicking situation is what it is. Both of them are good enough for the job. Whichever one gets fired will be hired almost immediately. This "kicker's duel" and this one attempt is really not the live or die thing some people are making it out to be. Whether Rackers would have made or missed that kicked would not have been a deciding factor in the choice of who stays.

Dwade
08-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Rackers will get plenty of chances to kick field goals in the remaining 3 preseason games without the chance of sending a meaningless game into an extra quarter that just provides more opportunity for players to get hurt.

There is no way that you can know that. This was the ideal high-pressure opportunity for him, and it was wasted.

Oh and Pencil Neck - they were going for a sideline pass, not a bomb to the end zone. A sideline pass wouldn't get a touchdown in that situation. It didn't look like they were playing to win, and that frusturates me

buddyboy
08-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Gary is a Aggie?? *jumps on fire kubiak bandwagon*

go horns!

No, Gary WAS an Aggie. Now, he's a Texan, so I don't know why there's any reason to hate.

TexanSam
08-18-2010, 01:00 AM
There is no way that you can know that. This was the ideal high-pressure opportunity for him, and it was wasted.

How high pressure could the kick be to send the game to OT when it's only the first preseason game? This wasn't a regular game where the kick could determine if your team wins or loses, this was just a preseason game with no W/L on the line.

The only thing that could have been measured by the kick had they attempted it would be to see if Rackers can make a 51 yard field goal with a rush coming.

Lucky
08-18-2010, 01:01 AM
This is the same thing. And I don't care what Kubiak said about how he was planning on kicking if they could have stopped the clock. He probably would have gone for another bomb to try to win it instead of trying to tie it.

...Whether Rackers would have made or missed that kicked would not have been a deciding factor in the choice of who stays.
You're just making stuff up. If you discount what comes out of Kubiak's mouth and insert your own thoughts and motives behind his actions, what's the point of attempting a real discussion?

Lucky
08-18-2010, 01:04 AM
How high pressure could the kick be to send the game to OT when it's only the first preseason game?
No. Rackers & Brown are in a competition for a NFL job. There's plenty of pressure on these kickers with $$$ at stake. That seems pretty obvious to me.

TexanSam
08-18-2010, 01:09 AM
No. Rackers & Brown are in a competition for a NFL job. There's plenty of pressure on these kickers with $$$ at stake. That seems pretty obvious to me.

That I understand. But many of the posts here seem to indicate that they should have kicked the field goal to tie the game.

Rackers will get more opportunities this preseason to kick field goals, as will Kris Brown. It's not a bad decision to not go for the FG in this case, IMO.

Brisco_County
08-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Just dropping in to say that this thread title is stupid.

Lucky
08-18-2010, 01:27 AM
I don't like how he basically played to lose by not attempting the field goal.
Kubiak wasn't playing to lose. He has stated that he had every intention of kicking a field goal had the play gone incomplete.

No, the issue plain & simple is Kubiak's clock management skills. It's nothing new, as it's been a weakness since he became the head coach. He discounted the numerous, and likely, outcomes that would prevent a FG attempt for a very low percentage play. Yes, it only cost a preseason game. The score was meaningless. The opportunity to put Rackers (and possibly Brown had Rackers made the kick) in a pressure situation had value, which Kubiak admitted. Fans that suggest Kubiak was never going to kick the FG, or has already determined the kicking competition winner, are just flat out wrong, based upon what Kubiak has actually said.

If this is Kubiak's only blunder of the year, the Texans will be a playoff team. Some fans just can't admit that Kubiak has ever made a mistake. He's Coach Teflon, nothing sticks to him.

ObsiWan
08-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Wow... Six pages and over 100 posts over a meaningless FG.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:IAUlKaPalj4xyM:http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp214/stc_010/StarTrekSpockFascinating1.jpg&t=1

To KICK or not to KICK – that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous msg board posters (when we get another player hurt in OT),
Or to go for the Bomb (and the win) against a sea of Blitzers
And, by opposing, end them (and the game).

:D

Brisco_County
08-18-2010, 02:26 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:IAUlKaPalj4xyM:http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp214/stc_010/StarTrekSpockFascinating1.jpg&t=1

To KICK or not to KICK – that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous msg board posters (when we get another player hurt in OT),
Or to go for the Bomb (and the win) against a sea of Blitzers
And, by opposing, end them (and the game).

:D

This thread should now be about Spock-related poetry:

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8562/19953354189865672738820.jpg

Rocket ships
Are exciting
But so are roses
On a birthday

...Computers are exciting
But so is a sunset

And logic
Will never replace
Love

Sometimes I wonder
Where I belong
In the future
Or
In the past

I guess I'm just
An old-fashioned
Space-man

-- Leonard Nimoy, 1978

(My roommate owns this book)

Texas T
08-18-2010, 07:28 AM
No, Gary WAS an Aggie. Now, he's a Texan, so I don't know why there's any reason to hate.

This.

I keep looking at this thread to see if there is anything worth reading in it...sometimes it does happen.

:thinking:

But win, lose, or draw our wagon is hitched to Kubs for now so all hate is directed at the TEXANS. Where he was before coaching or playing does not matter. It's like saying that Schaub lost the game because he came from the Falcons...kinda silly if you think about it.

GO TEXANS!! (and Kubs by default)

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2010, 07:48 AM

Oh and Pencil Neck - they were going for a sideline pass, not a bomb to the end zone. A sideline pass wouldn't get a touchdown in that situation. It didn't look like they were playing to win, and that frusturates me

He said they were going for a Go-route. Along the sideline. To me, that's an attempt to win the game. You've got at least 1, maybe 2, guys running down the sideline toward the end zone. You try to hit them in stride as they go past the CB. In a blitz situation, those CBs probably aren't getting safety help over the top. If the pass is successful, it's a touch. If the pass is caught but their is safety help, then he can step out of bounds.

If the pass wasn't there, JDB was supposed to throw it out of bounds.

Running an Out would be a pass to get out of bounds.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2010, 07:52 AM
You're just making stuff up. If you discount what comes out of Kubiak's mouth and insert your own thoughts and motives behind his actions, what's the point of attempting a real discussion?

What's the point of getting upset about losing a preseason game?

Maybe he would have attempted a field goal if the play hadn't self-destructed, maybe he wouldn't have. But what difference does it make?

And personally, there's a lot that comes out of Kubiak's mouth that I don't trust. But that has nothing to do with Kubiak and everything to do with the nature of the beast. Coaches lie. That's part of the job description. All of these press conferences are just ways for the enemy to gather information. They have to be used for distributing misinformation.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Kubiak wasn't playing to lose. He has stated that he had every intention of kicking a field goal had the play gone incomplete.

No, the issue plain & simple is Kubiak's clock management skills. It's nothing new, as it's been a weakness since he became the head coach. He discounted the numerous, and likely, outcomes that would prevent a FG attempt for a very low percentage play. Yes, it only cost a preseason game. The score was meaningless. The opportunity to put Rackers (and possibly Brown had Rackers made the kick) in a pressure situation had value, which Kubiak admitted. Fans that suggest Kubiak was never going to kick the FG, or has already determined the kicking competition winner, are just flat out wrong, based upon what Kubiak has actually said.

If this is Kubiak's only blunder of the year, the Texans will be a playoff team. Some fans just can't admit that Kubiak has ever made a mistake. He's Coach Teflon, nothing sticks to him.

Kubiak makes mistakes. ALL coaches make mistakes.

You're letting your dislike of Kubiak and your need to find something to find about Kubiak to ***** about get in the way of enjoying a perfectly good preseason game.

Is Kubiak going to make coaching mistakes this year? Hell, yes. What freaking coach are you going to replace Kubiak with who ISN'T going to make mistakes? Cowher? Gruden? Billick? You think THOSE guys never made any freaking clock or game management mistakes? Child, please.

This is a preseason game. The purpose is to get your players ready to play. The purpose is not to win.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Just dropping in to say that this thread title is stupid.

Actually, I find the title a bit offensive and inappropriate.

TexanSam
08-18-2010, 08:54 AM

We're desperate for football!

gary
08-18-2010, 10:01 AM
This thread makes me want to punch VY.

Yankee_In_TX
08-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Booty took a sack, which is what you CAN'T do.

That just sounds dirty.

steelbtexan
08-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Funny how Kubes said he would've gone for the FG had the sack not happened.

But keep on whatever agenda you Kubes lovers have.

gary
08-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Gary is married so all the lovers here on this board will have to take a number.

thunderkyss
08-18-2010, 10:47 AM

So whether this kick was at the end of the game, in the middle of the first half, or to start the third Qtr, there really isn't any more pressure than kicking for their jobs. This "game tying" Preseason 1 kick doesn't add anything that any other kick in the preseason would add.

From now on, I can't see any reason to get the ball past the opponents 40 yard line. Once we reach that point, we should send in the kicking team to answer this oh so important question of which 10 year veteran kicker is more clutch.

thunderkyss
08-18-2010, 10:53 AM
No, the issue plain & simple is Kubiak's clock management skills. It's nothing new, as it's been a weakness since he became the head coach. He discounted the numerous, and likely, outcomes that would prevent a FG attempt for a very low percentage play.

When did Booty get into the game? mid 3rd Qtr? When did Henry get into the game? I believe he had been in and out mid way through the first quarter.

How was what happened a likely Outcome? Booty didn't screw up one snap, or drop back. Henry had not run in to him or any other QB all game long.

Drop back, read one option, throw the ball (either into the stands, or to the one read you have).

Had he not done that, I guarantee you there would be idiots on this board griping because he didn't take a shot with 10 seconds to go.

thunderkyss
08-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Kubiak makes mistakes. ALL coaches make mistakes.

You're letting your dislike of Kubiak and your need to find something to find about Kubiak to ***** about get in the way of enjoying a perfectly good preseason game.

Is Kubiak going to make coaching mistakes this year? Hell, yes. What freaking coach are you going to replace Kubiak with who ISN'T going to make mistakes? Cowher? Gruden? Billick? You think THOSE guys never made any freaking clock or game management mistakes? Child, please.

This is a preseason game. The purpose is to get your players ready to play. The purpose is not to win.

I think this is worth reading a couple of times. Kubiak hasn't made any mistake that other coaches have not. But everyone else get's a pass, because they have a different past history than Kubiak. A moron of a coach can take a Super Bowl winning team on a 5 game losing streak, and it's ok. Kubiak not so much.

There was another team that failed on a HB pass last season, that ill advised throw went for 6 the other way, but that guy made a calculated decision. Chris Brown does the one thing he shouldn't have done in that situation, with 3 more downs to go inside the 5 yard line, and Kubiak blew the call.

Sheesh.

Kubiak wasn't ready to be a head coach when he got this job. I've said that many times. So who these people are that can't admit Kubiak made a mistake, that Lucky is talking about, I have no idea.

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Funny how Kubes said he would've gone for the FG had the sack not happened.

But keep on whatever agenda you Kubes lovers have.

Likewise with you anti-kubiak fools.

OT in preseason is stupid. But continue to convince yourself otherwise and of your asinine agenda.

Dwade
08-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Likewise with you anti-kubiak fools.

OT in preseason is stupid. But continue to convince yourself otherwise and of your asinine agenda.

It's not about the overtime, it's about finding out which kicker is the best for the team.

thunderkyss
08-18-2010, 11:57 AM
It's not about the overtime, it's about finding out which kicker is the best for the team.

There was no pressure on that kick. No more, than any other kick those two will make in the preSeason.

There is no game on the line, no Winning record, no play-off implications, no home field advantage, no stud/dud implications. You cannot recreate that in the preseason.

Whether this is the last second of the game, or the first PAT... these 10 year vets aren't going to be phased in the preseason.

It only means anything to the people that don't know any better.

Ckw
08-18-2010, 12:18 PM
This is undoubtedly one of the dumbest thread titles I have ever seen on this board, and the posts accompanying it go right along with the thread title. Then again, I just joined in on the stupidity by posting in this ridiculous thread... :chili:

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 12:22 PM

Hogwash! While that was an opportunity for one of the kickers to get a 50+ yard attempt, I would rather see them run a play and go for the endzone in that situation.

Pigeon> Offense > special teams.

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 12:23 PM
This is undoubtedly one of the dumbest thread titles I have ever seen on this board, and the posts accompanying it go right along with the thread title. Then again, I just joined in on the stupidity by posting in this ridiculous thread... :chili:

Yes.... Yes it is.

and alas, yes, yes you did. :lion:

Honoring Earl 34
08-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Anyone remember why Buddy Ryan took a swing at Kevin Gilbride ?

HOU-TEX
08-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Because Gilbride's a puh c?

beerlover
08-18-2010, 01:21 PM

for running a High School play :strangle:

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Because Gilbride's a puh c?

The 'ol "Chuck and Duck"!

HOU-TEX
08-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Buddy and Gilbride hated each other from the get go. I think they both wanted the next shot at head coach

ChampionTexan
08-18-2010, 01:28 PM

I believe it was the result of an interception thrown shortly before the half of a game the Oilers were handily leading. Buddy didn't want his defense on the field again, and wanted to run out the clock, obviously, that's not what Gilbride had the offense did.

Honoring Earl 34
08-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Because the week before , instead of running out the clock , Gilbride called passing plays that stopped the clock and the Oilers defense had to go back on to the field . That's when Marcus Robertson blew out his knee .

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Not to break up the love fest for Ryan and/or hatefest towards Gilbride, BUT let's remember it was Ryan that went really conservative with his defensive calls against Montana. It was also his defense that gave up 21 fourth quarter points and ALL 28 KC points in the second half.

disaacks3
08-18-2010, 01:58 PM
It's not about the overtime, it's about finding out which kicker is the best for the team. Yep. Rackers didn't have a single opportunity over 50 last year. Wouldn't it be a good idea to see if he has enough leg?

There was no pressure on that kick. No more, than any other kick those two will make in the preSeason.

There is no game on the line, no Winning record, no play-off implications, no home field advantage, no stud/dud implications. You cannot recreate that in the preseason.

Whether this is the last second of the game, or the first PAT... these 10 year vets aren't going to be phased in the preseason.

It only means anything to the people that don't know any better. So, you can guarantee that they'll BOTH get 50+ yd. attempts in the rest of the pre-season games? The kicking game cost the Texans at least two games last year. This would have been an important "test kick" for Rackers....you know, the guy competing for the opportunity to break all our hearts on last-minute field goals.

I can understand Kubiak wanting to get it a bit closer, but it was the perfect test scenario and he goofed. He's human, I can get over it.

Honoring Earl 34
08-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Not to break up the love fest for Ryan and/or hatefest towards Gilbride, BUT let's remember it was Ryan that went really conservative with his defensive calls against Montana. It was also his defense that gave up 21 fourth quarter points and ALL 28 KC points in the second half.

This is about not exposing your players .

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 02:16 PM
This is about not exposing your players .

I know what's its about, I just get amped up (as in pissed off) when I think about that season! We started the season 1-4 to reel off 11 wins in a row and having homefield advantage for the WC... :gun: :pissed:

thunderkyss
08-18-2010, 02:59 PM
So, you can guarantee that they'll BOTH get 50+ yd. attempts in the rest of the pre-season games? The kicking game cost the Texans at least two games last year. This would have been an important "test kick" for Rackers....you know, the guy competing for the opportunity to break all our hearts on last-minute field goals.

I can understand Kubiak wanting to get it a bit closer, but it was the perfect test scenario and he goofed. He's human, I can get over it.

He wasn't trying to get closer, he was trying to win the game.

& I'm more than positive the question whether or not Rackers can kick a 50+ foot field goal can be answered in practice. If you want to find out if he can do it in a clutch situation, we're going to have to come up with something a little more "clutch" than a meaningless kick to tie the 1st preseason game of the year.

I can't imagine ever saying, "I don't understand why he didn't make that 51yard field goal. He nailed one just like it in the 1st preseason game of the year."

That game, of all the preseason games mean very little to anyone other than the scrubs fighting for a PS spot. Whether he made it, or missed it, has no bearing on how he would handle a clutch situation.

I guarantee. :rake:

infantrycak
08-18-2010, 03:10 PM
For a little perspective maybe folks should examine the odds on 50+ yard kicks - Link (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=FIELD_GOAL_KICKER&season=2009&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=1&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

League wide it's a very hit or miss proposition so to speak.

beerlover
08-18-2010, 03:19 PM
He wasn't trying to get closer, he was trying to win the game.

& I'm more than positive the question whether or not Rackers can kick a 50+ foot field goal can be answered in practice. If you want to find out if he can do it in a clutch situation, we're going to have to come up with something a little more "clutch" than a meaningless kick to tie the 1st preseason game of the year.

I can't imagine ever saying, "I don't understand why he didn't make that 51yard field goal. He nailed one just like it in the 1st preseason game of the year."

That game, of all the preseason games mean very little to anyone other than the scrubs fighting for a PS spot. Whether he made it, or missed it, has no bearing on how he would handle a clutch situation.

I guarantee. :rake:

hope your right, would hate to revist this thread during the regular season but something tells me we will :barman:

to your preseason games mean very little to anyone other than the scrubs fighting for a PS spot. that's not nice or true just ask Ben Tate :tiphat:

steelbtexan
08-18-2010, 04:00 PM

That game,coupled with the Buffalo game the year before is one of the major reasons the Oilers moved to Tackville.

HOU-TEX
08-18-2010, 04:11 PM
That game,coupled with the Buffalo game the year before is one of the major reasons the Oilers moved to Tackville.

Huh? Do you actually believe some of this stuff you type?

b0ng
08-18-2010, 04:23 PM
And here I thought Bud moved the team due to a pissing match with Bob Lanier over a new stadium. Oh how silly I am.

steelbtexan
08-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Yes, the fans if the Oilers had beaten either Buffalo or K.C. then made the SB.

You can bet that the tax payers would've approved funding for a new stadium for Bud.

To believe otherwise would be blind to those times.

Lanier went with the will of the tax payer on that deal. IMHO

HOU-TEX
08-18-2010, 04:33 PM

You can bet that the tax payers would've approved funding for a new stadium for Bud.

This has been cussed and discussed ad nauseam, so I'm not going to get into it. I'll just suggest doing a bit of research on the subject

Honoring Earl 34
08-18-2010, 04:42 PM
He asked for a new stadium after going 2-14 . This after having the dome remodeled so he wouldn't go to Jacksonville .

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 04:48 PM

If "if" were a 5th, we'd all be ****ed up!!

You really believe that or did you post that for fodder??!? It was a case of Corporate Welfare!! Should the Tinnbreds leave Tennessee because they came up one yard short??

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 04:51 PM
This has been cussed and discussed ad nauseam, so I'm not going to get into it. I'll just suggest doing a bit of research on the subject

I'll make it easy..I know that DB (I think Herv) and I have all posted this link before, but here it is again:

The NFL Oilers: A Case Study in Corporate Welfare (http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/the-nfl-oilers-a-case-study-in-corporate-welfare/#)

HOU-TEX
08-18-2010, 04:54 PM
I'll make it easy..I know that DB (I think Herv) and I have all posted this link before, but here it is again:

The NFL Oilers: A Case Study in Corporate Welfare (http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/the-nfl-oilers-a-case-study-in-corporate-welfare/#)

Yup, I know there have been numerous threads on the subject. I just thought he needed to do his own research.

Dwade
08-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Hogwash! While that was an opportunity for one of the kickers to get a 50+ yard attempt, I would rather see them run a play and go for the endzone in that situation.

Pigeon> Offense > special teams.

Which is more important - finding out which kicker will be the starting kicker this season, or finding out if our 3rd offense can score against their 3rd defense?

HOU-TEX
08-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Which is more important - finding out which kicker will be the starting kicker this season, or finding out if our 3rd offense can score against their 3rd defense?

JB
08-18-2010, 05:07 PM

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx307/TexanJB/facepalm.jpg

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 05:09 PM

*EDIT* Nevermind.

I will stick with HOU-TEX and JB on this one.

:facepalm: Dwade!

Dwade
08-18-2010, 05:20 PM
*EDIT* Nevermind.

I will stick with HOU-TEX and JB on this one.

:facepalm: Dwade!

You know what I mean...which kicker will make the team. I think that is very important considering that we probably missed the playoffs because of our kicker position last year.

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 05:25 PM
You know what I mean...which kicker will make the team. I think that is very important considering that we probably missed the playoffs because of our kicker position last year.

Whatever kicker it is, that attempt wouldn't have determined who will be.

I know its been a long time since I played and maybe practices are run differently, but we always had a drill during practice where they ran the clock down and the field goal unit had to sprint onto the field and get the kick away. Again, it's been a long time but I reckon they still use that drill... Shit like that is going to determine the kicker, not an "iffy" 50+ yarder.

Dwade
08-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Whatever kicker it is, that attempt wouldn't have determined who will be.

I know its been a long time since I played and maybe practices are run differently, but we always had a drill during practice where they ran the clock down and the field goal unit had to sprint onto the field and get the kick away. Again, it's been a long time but I reckon they still use that drill... Shit like that is going to determine the kicker, not an "iffy" 50+ yarder.

No it wouldn't determine the kicker, but it sure would have helped...we need every possible opportunity to find out which one is better for the team.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2010, 05:44 PM
No it wouldn't determine the kicker, but it sure would have helped...we need every possible opportunity to find out which one is better for the team.

Well, heck.

I guess we won't be able to choose which freakin kicker we're going to use this year because we didn't get this one opportunity for Rackers to try one from 51 yards out.

FIRE KUBIAK!

utahmark
08-18-2010, 05:46 PM

you might want to read your own link.

The nfl Oilers: a case study in coporate welfare--
"Lanier first declared that property taxes would not be used for any new sports facilities. Then, buttressed by polls in early 1994 showing that anywhere from 56 percent to 71 percent of the public thought the taxpayers should not finance a new dome for the Oilers, Lanier argued against any public funding."

The reason Lanier would'nt help with tax payers money is because tax payers in houston were against it at the time. The whole city was tired of the Oilers and most people felt they did'nt want that team associated with Houston. The reason they felt that way was mostly because of on the field play and embarrissing losses. Had that team got closer or possibly won a super bowl things could very well of been different.

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 05:51 PM

I guess it would matter as much as gnat on an elephant's ass!

If you are going to let 50+ yarders influence your decision, than cut Rackers now. He didn't attempt any last season, but the season before (2008) he was 1-2 for 50%. Brown last season was 2-4 - 50% and in 2008 was 2-3 - 67%.

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 06:02 PM

"Lanier first declared that property taxes would not be used for any new sports facilities. Then, buttressed by polls in early 1994 showing that anywhere from 56 percent to 71 percent of the public thought the taxpayers should not finance a new dome for the Oilers, Lanier argued against any public funding."

The reason Lanier would'nt help with tax payers money is because tax payers in houston were against it at the time. The whole city was tired of the Oilers and most people felt they did'nt want that team associated with Houston. The reason they felt that way was mostly because of on the field play and embarrissing losses. Had that team got closer or possibly won a super bowl things could very well of been different.

While that may have played a part in the taxpayers minds, a small part, it was the fact that just a few years earlier, the city / county dumped a butt-load of money into the Dome (a portion of which is still owed today) on the tax-payers dime. He threatened to move the team to Jacksonville had he not gotten those renovations including an additional 10,000 seats. After the renovations were complete, Bud made a statement (paraphrased) "That the Astrodome was the greatest stadium in the NFL". Then just a couple / few years later he tries to hold the city hostage once again... That's why the taxpayers voted it down!! It would've been completely fiscally irresponsible to give that man anymore corporate welfare.

Oh and lest we forget, (and revisionists tend to forget this), towards the end Lanier offered Bud his new stadium anyway.

JB
08-18-2010, 06:06 PM

Totally disagree. The public had just approved a $60 mill (iirc) rennovation of the dome to pacify asshat adams just a couple of years previous to his demands for a totally new stadium downtown. And he would not consider a joint use stadium. Why in the world would the public want to cave into his demands again? He wanted an insane amount of control with the public paying for it. Buck Fud Adams! I wouldn't piss on that slimebag if he was on fire.

edit: I see Bill beat me to it. Damn, I'm slow today!

Dwade
08-18-2010, 06:39 PM
I guess it would matter as much as gnat on an elephant's ass!

If you are going to let 50+ yarders influence your decision, than cut Rackers now. He didn't attempt any last season, but the season before (2008) he was 1-2 for 50%. Brown last season was 2-4 - 50% and in 2008 was 2-3 - 67%.

The fact that Rackers did not attempt any 50+ yarders last year is why I wanted to see him attempt one.

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 06:40 PM
The fact that Rackers did not attempt any 50+ yarders last year is why I wanted to see him attempt one.

:rolleyes: I'm done!

JB
08-18-2010, 06:41 PM
:brickwall:

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 06:42 PM
:brickwall:

Time to get my drink on. I may even break my own 7:00 rule.

JB
08-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Time to get my drink on. I may even break my own 7:00 rule.

:D It's always 7:00 somewhere!

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 06:46 PM
:D It's always 7:00 somewhere!

True dat! I'm an easy sell. Heading to the kitchen now.

Honoring Earl 34
08-18-2010, 06:59 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515HN2K5XSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

JB
08-18-2010, 07:01 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515HN2K5XSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

:clap:

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 07:04 PM

http://www.thewheelfx.com/lane/GIFS/Applause.gif

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z213/LittleLady718/gifs/applause.gif

http://www.crusha.com/gifs/audienceApplauseBnW.gif

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/Spookydragon/Applause.gif

J_R
08-18-2010, 07:05 PM
KICKING BATTLE Kickers Kris Brown and Neil Rackers went kick-for-kick against the Saints special teams from distances of 35 to 40 yards. Rackers went a perfect 8-for-8 while Brown missed his fourth kick, wide right, going 7-for-8. Special teams coach Joe Marciano has been looking for ways to put added pressure on each kick, but the kickers know that each kick could cost them a job. - Jordan Godwin

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 07:06 PM
KICKING BATTLE Kickers Kris Brown and Neil Rackers went kick-for-kick against the Saints special teams from distances of 35 to 40 yards. Rackers went a perfect 8-for-8 while Brown missed his fourth kick, wide right, going 7-for-8. Special teams coach Joe Marciano has been looking for ways to put added pressure on each kick, but the kickers know that each kick could cost them a job. - Jordan Godwin

This is how you figure out your kicker.

Rackers - 1
Brown - 0

*EDIT*

I'm probably going to regret posting this. :gun:

J_R
08-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Haha I wouldnt disagree.

JB
08-18-2010, 07:10 PM
This is how you figure out your kicker.

Rackers - 1
Brown - 0

*EDIT*

I'm probably going to regret posting this. :gun:

Will you never learn?

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Will you never learn?

One thing about the Irish, we're stubborn and gluttons for punishment. :brickwall:

Honoring Earl 34
08-18-2010, 07:17 PM
http://www.thewheelfx.com/lane/GIFS/Applause.gif

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z213/LittleLady718/gifs/applause.gif

http://www.crusha.com/gifs/audienceApplauseBnW.gif

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm200/Spookydragon/Applause.gif

http://www.lookingatlife.org.uk/files/assets/a856.jpg

JB
08-18-2010, 07:18 PM
One thing about the Irish, we're stubborn and gluttons for punishment. :brickwall:

Long live the Micks!

JB
08-18-2010, 07:19 PM
http://www.lookingatlife.org.uk/files/assets/a856.jpg

Damn dude! I didn't know you were an Elvis impersonator!

Texan_Bill
08-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Damn dude! I didn't know you were an Elvis impersonator!

He's not. He is just Bubba Ho-Tep!!

http://moviecultists.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bubba-ho-tep.jpg

JB
08-18-2010, 07:27 PM
:lol:

El Tejano
08-19-2010, 08:09 AM
So I looked back at the game and that specific play. I didn't like the play at first but looking back over it like 5 or 6 times I'm not so sure this was a bad call by the coach so much as a failure to run the play correctly by Chris Henry.

If you go back and look it seems as if we had planned a quick out to the short side of the field in hopes of getting another 5 - 10 yards down field for a more managable FG. If it's there take it if not fire it over the receivers head out of bounds and we try the 51 yarder. Everything about that sounds right in a regular game IF you can do it (With Schaub you probably can). Only problem was Chris Henry, makes a horrible attempt at a block and in doing so looks to hit Booty (stop! I know what you are going to say) enough to throw him off on his drop step causing booty to kind of eat the ball.

I have a feeling that if this didn't happen we would've had a chance at atleast the 51 yarder. If our first team was in there, I don't know how much more successful we would've been but I do know it's the play I want with :10 seconds remaining. I guess the only thing I would've changed was to maybe put my QB in Shotgun formation.

The trick to this scenario is did Gary learn from it? In the regular season this situation will present itself. It did twice for us last year, and that game against Tenn. was cutting it very close to time expiring. If it does, will he go for the FG right there? Will he try to get the yardage again? If he does, go for the yardage will he put his QB in Shotgun to give him more time?

Texan_Bill
08-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Neil Rackers woke up earlier than Kris Brown.

Rackers - 2
Brown - 0

:gun:

El Tejano
08-19-2010, 11:56 AM
So I looked back at the game and that specific play. I didn't like the play at first but looking back over it like 5 or 6 times I'm not so sure this was a bad call by the coach so much as a failure to run the play correctly by Chris Henry.

If you go back and look it seems as if we had planned a quick out to the short side of the field in hopes of getting another 5 - 10 yards down field for a more managable FG. If it's there take it if not fire it over the receivers head out of bounds and we try the 51 yarder. Everything about that sounds right in a regular game IF you can do it (With Schaub you probably can). Only problem was Chris Henry, makes a horrible attempt at a block and in doing so looks to hit Booty (stop! I know what you are going to say) enough to throw him off on his drop step causing booty to kind of eat the ball.

I have a feeling that if this didn't happen we would've had a chance at atleast the 51 yarder. If our first team was in there, I don't know how much more successful we would've been but I do know it's the play I want with :10 seconds remaining. I guess the only thing I would've changed was to maybe put my QB in Shotgun formation.

The trick to this scenario is did Gary learn from it? In the regular season this situation will present itself. It did twice for us last year, and that game against Tenn. was cutting it very close to time expiring. If it does, will he go for the FG right there? Will he try to get the yardage again? If he does, go for the yardage will he put his QB in Shotgun to give him more time?

Did anyone else notice this?

HOU-TEX
08-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Neil Rackers woke up earlier than Kris Brown.

Rackers - 2
Brown - 0

:gun:

But Brown chunked a larger deuce than Rackers this morning

Texan_Bill
08-19-2010, 11:59 AM
But Brown chunked a larger deuce than Rackers this morning

Touche'!!!

Rackers - 2
Brown - 1 1/2

What can Brown do for you??

Brown25 from Uranus:
http://technorati.com/videos/youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D008BPUdQ1XA

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Did anyone else notice this?

I haven't gone back and looked at that play.

I had heard Kubiak say in an interview that the hot route was a Go, not an Out. But of course, there are multiple routes being run on any jpass play.

If he was going for an Out, then there was more than enough time to execute the play. You normally have 4-6 seconds per pass play.

I'll go back and check it out later tonight.

dalemurphy
08-19-2010, 01:03 PM

As long as Rackers doesn't fall apart, he is going to win the job. You are right that the competition is rigged. However, it is rigged for Rackers to win. They know that they can't go into this season relying on Kris Brown.

utahmark
08-19-2010, 01:22 PM
While that may have played a part in the taxpayers minds, a small part, it was the fact that just a few years earlier, the city / county dumped a butt-load of money into the Dome (a portion of which is still owed today) on the tax-payers dime. He threatened to move the team to Jacksonville had he not gotten those renovations including an additional 10,000 seats. After the renovations were complete, Bud made a statement (paraphrased) "That the Astrodome was the greatest stadium in the NFL". Then just a couple / few years later he tries to hold the city hostage once again... That's why the taxpayers voted it down!! It would've been completely fiscally irresponsible to give that man anymore corporate welfare.

Oh and lest we forget, (and revisionists tend to forget this), towards the end Lanier offered Bud his new stadium anyway.

if that team would of won a superbowl the city would have agreed to buy him two new stadiums, which by the way would have been cheaper than what we paid to get the texans here.

everything you say about Bud is true. and it was his fault that they left. but if the team would have preformed better on the field this city would of found a way to keep them here. we sure found a way to get football back.

utahmark
08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
As long as Rackers doesn't fall apart, he is going to win the job. You are right that the competition is rigged. However, it is rigged for Rackers to win. They know that they can't go into this season relying on Kris Brown.

maybe that's why they did'nt let him kick the field goal. they did'nt want him to miss.

Texan_Bill
08-19-2010, 02:23 PM
if that team would of won a superbowl the city would have agreed to buy him two new stadiums, which by the way would have been cheaper than what we paid to get the texans here.

everything you say about Bud is true. and it was his fault that they left. but if the team would have preformed better on the field this city would of found a way to keep them here. we sure found a way to get football back.

Maybe... But I have more faith in voters than that. I would hope voters would vote in the best fiscal interest of the city, not some private business like an NFL franchise. If people voted (one way or the other) strictly on emotion and not fiscal responsibility than they should have their voter registration cards revoked.

Who is we?? Bob McNair's $750,000,000.00? Oh that's right we are paying for the stadium with Hotel and Car Rental taxes..... Oh wait, what? How often do I rent a car or stay in a hotel room while in Houston?? :thinking:

Lucky
08-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Who is "they"? If "they" knew that (and "they" should), Brown would have been released and given an opportunity to find a job elsewhere.

I still think this is Brown's job to lose. That's my fear, anyway.

The trick to this scenario is did Gary learn from it?
That's probably the most important aspect of this game. More important than the score, than the kicking competition, or even Tate's injury. Kubiak's improvement is the key to this season.

beerlover
08-19-2010, 07:57 PM
screw it just keep both :foottap:

El Tejano
08-19-2010, 08:45 PM
screw it just keep both :foottap:
But but..but then we'll have to cut a couple of TEs.

ObsiWan
08-19-2010, 08:51 PM

Noooooooo!!!

LOL

beerlover
08-20-2010, 01:54 AM

IR's should do, got enough of them already :ouch: