PDA

View Full Version : Referee's right and left feet

keyser
08-15-2010, 02:45 AM
OK, there is something I've heard announcers and others refer to numerous times, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what they are talking about. When a referee is spotting a ball, I've heard people comment about whether they are using their left foot or right foot for the spot. I heard it again on tonight's Texans broadcast. It seems to have some influence on where the ball is placed (but why?), and thus how likely it is that a player makes a 1st down in a close situation. Does the referee "choose" which foot to use, and if so, how much difference does this make?

Can someone give me some insight, here?

powerfuldragon
08-15-2010, 02:51 AM
maybe the announcer is just trying to seem more observant? i dunno, but you might be reading too much into this one.

cuppacoffee
08-15-2010, 10:58 AM
OK, there is something I've heard announcers and others refer to numerous times, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what they are talking about. When a referee is spotting a ball, I've heard people comment about whether they are using their left foot or right foot for the spot. I heard it again on tonight's Texans broadcast. It seems to have some influence on where the ball is placed (but why?), and thus how likely it is that a player makes a 1st down in a close situation. Does the referee "choose" which foot to use, and if so, how much difference does this make?

Can someone give me some insight, here?

I can't give any insight.

I've always though it was a duh' moment for the announcer when they would say, "it could be a first down, depending on where they spot the ball".

I always think the same thing when I hear them say that.

No sheat sherlock.

:coffee:

JB
08-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Just the commentators way of filling space.