PDA

View Full Version : Ben Tate done for season (Broken Ankle)

Section516
08-15-2010, 12:37 AM
via John McClain on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/21203384756

TexanSam
08-15-2010, 12:40 AM
This would suck if true. Luckily we have Foster and Slaton but still, not good.

Honoring Earl 34
08-15-2010, 12:44 AM
You know ... the way Foster is playing and the depth they have , I'd rather see him redshirt ( I know college term ) than comeback to quick . Besides I think it's good for young players to sit , learn , and get hungry .

J_R
08-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Appears so. John Lopez saying the same and Robert Henslee

SportsRadioRH (http://twitter.com/SportsRadioRH)

Now hearing Tate injury is more serious than a high ankle sprain as previously reported. Tune in to SportsRadio 610 for more. #texans (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23texans)

mikey21
08-15-2010, 12:46 AM
this really sucks, i was really looking forward to seeing the kid run

SteveSlaton20
08-15-2010, 12:49 AM
well, furk.

mexican_texan
08-15-2010, 12:51 AM
610 says the same thing.

He's done :(

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 12:51 AM
just got a flash on my blackberry saying fractured ankle...

And so it begins....

Honoring Earl 34
08-15-2010, 12:53 AM
I think if you ask CnD he might say a simple fracture is better than a high ankle sprain .

powerfuldragon
08-15-2010, 12:55 AM
sad, sad, sad.

NitroGSXR
08-15-2010, 12:57 AM
You know ... the way Foster is playing and the depth they have , I'd rather see him redshirt ( I know college term ) than comeback to quick . Besides I think it's good for young players to sit , learn , and get hungry .

He's now damaged goods. I don't like players with previous injuries too much. Just look at Slaton. I mean... folks who thought he was coming back strong from neck surgery... LMAO.

Nawzer
08-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Damn. It looked bad on tv but I was hoping it was nothing too serious. I guess this gives Chris Henry and Jeremiah Johnson a better shot at making the team.

Honoring Earl 34
08-15-2010, 01:00 AM
He's now damaged goods. I don't like players with previous injuries too much. Just look at Slaton. I mean... folks who thought he was coming back strong from neck surgery... LMAO.

We'll see on Tate .

Slaton wants to wear flags .

Topher
08-15-2010, 01:01 AM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee256/flipsydoodaa/fuuuuuuuuu.jpg

NitroGSXR
Damn. It looked bad on tv but I was hoping it was nothing too serious. I guess this gives Chris Henry and Jeremiah Johnson a better shot at making the team.

If Chris Henry makes the team, I will give myself an enema.

I could not have been more disappointed with his performance tonight. There was one block where he ended up getting himself Meyered silly. I DVRed the game and intend to watch it tonight. I will try and get the time frame of that so called block but it was as clear as day.

It was then... that I realized... we need more RBs. Jeremiah Johnson didn't really look that impressive. Very awkward despite his impressive numbers.

mattieuk

I know there are pluses to getting rookies to sit back and learn, but thats gotta be combined with actively participating in practice.

No one redshirts and spends the whole season sitting down with a clipboard.

Although I agree, the kid will be hungry as crap, if he does miss the whole season.

Honoring Earl 34
08-15-2010, 01:02 AM
I know there are pluses to getting rookies to sit back and learn, but thats gotta be combined with actively participating in practice.

No one redshirts and spends the whole season sitting down with a clipboard.

Although I agree, the kid will be hungry as crap, if he does miss the whole season.

Nolan did .

mattieuk
08-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Nolan did .

Ok, ok you win, lol.

I was talking more along the lines of no one (that I can recall) has a season ending injury their rookie year, and uses the year out to great effect. Although hopefully Nolan will provide Tate with some inspiration!

Jackie Chiles
08-15-2010, 01:16 AM

I could not have been more disappointed with his performance tonight. There was one block where he ended up getting himself Meyered silly. I DVRed the game and intend to watch it tonight. I will try and get the time frame of that so called block but it was as clear as day.

It was then... that I realized... we need more RBs. Jeremiah Johnson didn't really look that impressive. Very awkward despite his impressive numbers.

Gotta disagree on Johnson, I thought he looked fantastic. With this injury Henry and Johnson have great shots at making the final cut. I could see Jeremiah being 3rd on the depth chart and Henry being more of a STs guy and emergency depth/mop up. Still three games to sort it out though.

SheTexan
08-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Foster cannot carry the load alone! Slaton has not changed, not ONE DAMN bit!! I think the boy has an attention disorder or something! I kept yelling at my TV for the boy to TUCK the ball. What does he do? Gets to the goalline and goes HIGH, does NOT tuck the ball, and fumbles!! I wonder how many times that boy has been told how to carry a ball, and what to do in certain situations! I have my doubts that he's teachable!!!BYE BYE playoff hopes if we depend on SS to play with his head screwed on right! Chris Henry and J Johnson are both big ? ! I think we're in deep doo-dooo at RB. JMO!!

I feel really bad for Ben. His facebook post this off season have been fun, and he was so looking forward to making it big this year, as were all his fans from Auburn. A sad twist of fate.

JB
08-15-2010, 01:19 AM

In comparison to Chris Hernry he did. *hris may not be a good name for this franchise.

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 01:21 AM
I think if you ask CnD he might say a simple fracture is better than a high ankle sprain .

As I pointed out in another thread, I wouldn't be surprised if he had both.
Determination of the type and the exact bone and anatomic location of the fracture have to be made known to determine a shorter vs. longer prognosis. With a high ankle sprain, recovery from the original injury can be unpredictable, yet carries a high risk of subsequent reinjury. We just have to wait for more details.

JB
08-15-2010, 01:24 AM
As I pointed out in another thread, I wouldn't be surprised if he had both.
Determination of the type and the exact bone and anatomic location of the fracture have to be made known to determine a shorter vs. longer prognosis. With a high ankle sprain, recovery from the original injury can be unpredictable, yet carries a high risk of subsequent reinjury. We just have to wait for more details.

Doc, you just blew an old drunk out of the water. :shots:

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Doc, you just blew an old drunk out of the water. :shots:

Good night, Gracie!:barman:

TexanSam
08-15-2010, 01:34 AM
I feel really bad for Ben. His facebook post this off season have been fun, and he was so looking forward to making it big this year, as were all his fans from Auburn. A sad twist of fate.

This makes it even worse. You could tell by his facebook updates that he was enjoying his time with the Texans thus far. Then this happens :( What luck...

I hope he recovers fully and comes back and proves himself next season though!

Spled
08-15-2010, 01:53 AM
Shouldn't a fracture be able to heal in 2 months? We've still got a month before the season starts.

Brisco_County
08-15-2010, 02:05 AM
He's young. It'll probably take about four months to heal. He might get some reps at the end of the season.

Schaub2Dre
08-15-2010, 02:13 AM
Man, this one definitely hurts the most from tonight. I really liked him as person. He basically had me at hello. He was just so personable, like showing the video of him being drafted and him ended up in tears, and he was so incredibly open to talking with fans on facebook and twitter and holding contests and whatnot. It just doesn't feel like any player that got severely injured. It seriously feels like I know the guy and really do feel bad for him. He had such a great future ahead of him this season and seemed so eager to get out there and play. Oh well life goes on, and we are faced with depth problems at the running back position. :(

powerfuldragon
08-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Shouldn't a fracture be able to heal in 2 months? We've still got a month before the season starts.

a fracture that doesn't really bear the load, yeah, maybe even less time. but the ankle's all about dispersing weight. i'm assuming it's one of the tarsals that's fractured, if so, that's one (or more) of like seven or eight bones (not sure) that could be busted. you really gotta make sure your ankle's 100% before you want to make an nfl-level cut on that foot. CnD will be able to explain it better.

zanth91
08-15-2010, 02:25 AM

The ankle fracture could have also led to ligament damage, which I believe is the case.

TimeKiller
08-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Wow. Could any bigger of a bubble been burst? ****ing Preseason injuries. God damnit they always take away something good.

TheRealJoker
08-15-2010, 02:38 AM
This is terrible news. We are going to need Foster to be a workhorse and someone between Johnson and Henry to step up and steal reps from Slaton. The more chances Slaton gets to touch the ball, the greater risk we have of turning it over.

SS can no longer be trusted. Losing a promising young rookie like Tate is a tough pill to swallow.

The Pencil Neck
08-15-2010, 03:07 AM
And this is why I was saying that the best strategy with running backs (for teams that are focused on running) is to draft running backs early and often.

You just can't have too much talent at that position.

imatexan
08-15-2010, 03:14 AM
Man this sucks, Tate just seemed like such a great guy as well.

Now we really need Slaton to step up and seeing that he fumbled again I am getting a little worried!

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Ok, ok you win, lol.

I was talking more along the lines of no one (that I can recall) has a season ending injury their rookie year, and uses the year out to great effect. Although hopefully Nolan will provide Tate with some inspiration!

Isn't that what happened with Frank Gore?

Besides, I think I know what you mean. No one is happy this happened, I'm sure. But it makes a tough decision easier.

If the plan was to with 4 running backs, that decision has been made. Foster, Slaton, Henry, Johnson. They can even feasibly, put Johnson on the PS, and use that spot for an extra TE.

kiwitexansfan
08-15-2010, 08:01 AM
And this is why I was saying that the best strategy with running backs (for teams that are focused on running) is to draft running backs early and often.

You just can't have too much talent at that position.

Odd because that is why I would say don't use high picks on backs, use them on OLine so any half talent back can be productive.

TheMatrix31
08-15-2010, 08:08 AM
I mean...where's the luck?

False Start
08-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Foster cannot carry the load alone! Slaton has not changed, not ONE DAMN bit!! I think the boy has an attention disorder or something! I kept yelling at my TV for the boy to TUCK the ball. What does he do? Gets to the goalline and goes HIGH, does NOT tuck the ball, and fumbles!! I wonder how many times that boy has been told how to carry a ball, and what to do in certain situations! I have my doubts that he's teachable!!!BYE BYE playoff hopes if we depend on SS to play with his head screwed on right! Chris Henry and J Johnson are both big ? ! I think we're in deep doo-dooo at RB. JMO!!

Yep.

I just hope he can recover strong.

Grams
08-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Well Henry is not the answer. He looked like he was running in mud.
Johnson looked pretty good - course it was the forth and he was running against the "trying to make the team" players.

Isn't Westbrook still out there? Even older and partially used up, he is a better option than Henry.

Porky
08-15-2010, 08:44 AM
I couldn't be more disappointed. That run Tate made was very impressive prior to the injury, showing a real nice burst, speed and vision.

And considering Steve Slaton's performance, or lack thereof, it makes it all the worse because Steve was about to go at least 3rd and maybe 4th on my depth chart. He looked exactly like last year. I don't know what happened to the guy. He was awesome as a rookie, and has just cratered.

And for a fairly short RB to run so upright and high with the ball exposed like that along the goal line? That's a mistake you forgive a rookie in his first camp, but this is his 3rd rodeo and he is doing that? Severe mental mistake and if he keeps doing that kind of thing, and giving underwhelming performances throughout the preseason it's time to bench him or use him strictly as a 3rd down pass catcher - in space is where he still tends to shine. I sure as hell don't trust him around the goal line.

m5kwatts
08-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Well Henry is not the answer. He looked like he was running in mud.
Johnson looked pretty good - course it was the forth and he was running against the "trying to make the team" players.

Isn't Westbrook still out there? Even older and partially used up, he is a better option than Henry.

Jeremiah was running with the 3rd string but he looked way better than Henry did running with the same line and against the same defense. He was noticeably more comfortable in the scheme, he looked like he was playing with his instincts. Henry plays like he's thinking about the defense and it makes him slower on game day than practice.

El Tejano
08-15-2010, 08:58 AM
After Foster, I don't like what we have. Jeremiah Johnson can stay but Slaton can't be trusted and Chris Henry looked like his reputation - Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

m5kwatts
08-15-2010, 09:03 AM
After Foster, I don't like what we have. Jeremiah Johnson can stay but Slaton can't be trusted and Chris Henry looked like his reputation - Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

If you ask me JJ looked better than Slaton last night. Arian and JJ were clearly the 2 backs that ran in our scheme the best. I think the Slaton-Tate back up battle just turned into a Slaton-JJ battle. Henry is still in it but JJ separated himself IMO.

GlassHalfFull
08-15-2010, 09:54 AM
The expression on Tate's face as he was carted off made me fear the worst. What a heartbreaking thing to happen. I feel horrible for him and for the team and the fans.

Cjeremy635
08-15-2010, 10:32 AM

This.

Honestly, I didn't think it was going to be this bad when it happened. The initial play and the replay didn't look anything different than 99% of the other players going down when they get tackled. Then I saw him being carted off and I was like, WTF? Just one of those freaky incidents I guess. Hopefully he'll be able to contribute in our playoff run.

:texflag:

Tailgate
08-15-2010, 11:00 AM
SUX Dammit. But oh well, he will be forgotten here soon. There was a reason Foster started this game. We will just have to try and not lament the upside that Tate would have brought to this season and remember the couple games at the end of last year...and think thats pretty much what we will see this year from Foster and an improved Slaton.

Joe Texan
08-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I really want ti wish Ben a speady recovery, he did exactly what we wanted only to have some retard fall on his foot the wrong way.

That being said Slaton has the perfect oppurtunity and he turns in 2.2 yards per carry. I do not see Steve getting any better that 3 string. probabaly cut.

gtexan02
08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
I think people are jumping on Steve too soon. This is preseason, week 1. He was out most of last year with a serious cervical injury.

Most players coming off injury have the jitters a little when they get hit that first time. Shouldn't be surprising that he did too.

Give him tons of reps, see if he can work it out.

He's got the most potential of any RB on our squad now. We can't give up on him when the games dont mean anything

Pollardized
08-15-2010, 11:29 AM
I hated seeing Tate injured like that. Maybe he should just go home and drink a little milk????

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 11:44 AM

a fracture that doesn't really bear the load, yeah, maybe even less time. but the ankle's all about dispersing weight. i'm assuming it's one of the tarsals that's fractured, if so, that's one (or more) of like seven or eight bones (not sure) that could be busted. you really gotta make sure your ankle's 100% before you want to make an nfl-level cut on that foot. CnD will be able to explain it better.

The ankle fracture could have also led to ligament damage, which I believe is the case.

Most of the classic fractures of the main ankle joint are at the lower ends of the lower leg bones (the larger main weight-bearing tibia [shin bone] and smaller fibula that connect to the main ankle bone, the talus.

Here is a simplified illustration of the anatomy.
http://www.foottalk.com/popups/images/lateral_ankle_anatomy1_web.jpg

This illustration demonstrates one classic injury (a fracture of the tail of the fibula), which I include to demonstrate how these fractures typically involve ligament tears, all of which contributes to ankle instability. The tail of the fibula is what you feel as the "inside"/medial ankle bone prominence. On the other side, the tail of the tibia is what you feel as the "outside"/lateral ankle bone prominence.

http://arthritis-symptom.com/images/ankle-fracture.jpg

There are other "ankle bones" besides the talus: calcaneus (the heel bone), the cuboid bone, the navicular bone, and the intermediate, lateral, and medial cuneiform bones. Fortunately, since they many times demonstrate long term poor healing (sometimes non-healing) despite proper treatment, fractures of these bone are relatively uncommon, .

http://www.eorthopod.com/sites/default/files/images/adult_foot_fx_anatomy01a.jpg

We don't have enough information about the type or location or the stability/instability factors or the treatment necessary (surgical vs casting alone) to make any intelligent prediction of return to play. Keep in mind that my example of fracture (above) involved the fibula. If the fracture involves the tail of the bone of the other side (the tibia), implications of treatment and length of rehab may be quite different, since the tibia bears 90% of weight bearing load, the fibula only 10%.

Just as a relatively uniformed generic look at the problem, I'll make these statements.

Although most people return to normal daily activities, except for sports, within 3 to 4 months, studies have shown that athletes can still be recovering up to 2 years after their ankle fractures. It may take several months for patients to stop limping while they walk. Again, we need more information to determine return to competitive level........and then prognosis will not be entirely predictable...........to be determined only by Tate's unique course.

JB
08-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Doc. If it is a fracture, what is the best case scenario? Broken fibula with no ligament damage? How unlikely is that.

Worst case? Could his career be over before it got started?

Thorn
08-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Although most people return to normal daily activities, except for sports, within 3 to 4 months, studies have shown that athletes can still be recovering up to 2 years after their ankle fractures. It may take several months for patients to stop limping while they walk. Again, we need more information to determine return to competitive level........and then prognosis will not be entirely predictable...........to be determined only by Tate's unique course.

OK, now I'm depressed. I guess we'll just to wait and see. Right now it looks like we'll have to depend on Foster this year. Until Slaton quits fumbling, he'll remain on my shit list. Henry looked like crap, and J. Johnson looked good against their 3rds.

We need next two games to sort out this RB situation.

DexmanC
08-15-2010, 11:57 AM
The Steelers lost Rashard Mendenhall, their first round pick, during his rookie
year, and still won Superbowl. When Ben went down, I felt bad for Ben,
but for the Texans' production at halfback. We still seem to have
two more realistic options, and one scatback.

As good as Jacoby Jones and Dickerson looked last night, this offense
shouldn't miss a beat. It took Moulden two seasons to recover from
a shattered ankle, so here's hoping Ben makes a speedy recovery.

Texas T
08-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I didn't get to see the game (being in NJ and all) but I've got the DVR set up for a 1 a.m. replay.

That being said when I saw this I was very disappointed. I was really looking forward to Ben being our RB of the future. Especially with Slaton still fumbling.
I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully he'll come out of this with a vengeance next year or whenever he can come back.

IDEXAN
08-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Foster & JJ both undrafted FAs the Texans signed. Let's just not invest anymore high draft picks in backs because it's too easy for them to get banged up, especially in the NFL.
As for Slaton, I thought he looked good until the fumble. Ok maybe that's like saying Chicago was doin fine untile the fire, or San Fran was OK until the earthquake, but let's give some more time before we write him off ? Still 3 more weeks of preseaon, 3 more preseason games.

Thorn
08-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Foster & JJ both undrafted FAs the Texans signed. Let's just not invest anymore high draft picks in backs because it's too easy for them to get banged up, especially in the NFL.
As for Slaton, I thought he looked good until the fumble. Ok maybe that's like saying Chicago was doin fine untile the fire, or San Fran was OK until the earthquake, but let's give some more time before we write him off ? Still 3 more weeks of preseaon, 3 more preseason games.

I'm not writing him off, because we all know and have seen what he is capable of. But that doesn't get him off my shit list however. LOL

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks Doc. If it is a fracture, what is the best case scenario? Broken fibula with no ligament damage? How unlikely is that.

Worst case? Could his career be over before it got started?

Your examples span the possibilities. However, the broken fibula with no ligament damage, even though possible, is probably unlikely.

JB
08-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Your examples span the possibilities. However, the broken fibula with no ligament damage, even though possible, is probably unlikely.

Yeah, I know. How likely is ligament damage with no fracture? Would that be a better scenario in terms of recovery time?

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I know. How likely is ligament damage with no fracture? Would that be a better scenario in terms of recovery time?

Probably, but "a fractured ankle" has been reported by McClain.

GP
08-15-2010, 12:37 PM
What about the often-claimed phrase "It's better, in the long run in terms of recovery and future stability, to have broken it instead of fractured it"?

Is that a an urban legend? My wife played volleyball and has always said that it's better to have a break than a fracture. Have just always wondered if this is true or not.

Goatcheese
08-15-2010, 12:39 PM
I thought Slaton ran well considering what he had to work with. Every touch up until the :facepalm: he broke a few tackles, often in the backfield. It was just that once Schaub to AJ wasn't an issue they switched from playing the pass to defending the run, so there weren't many good running lanes for him to go through for easy yards. He pulled positive yards out of a wall of defenders in the backfield a couple of times, and picked up a nice gain a few times when it looked like there was nothing there.

Obviously the fumble left everyone shaking their head, but it's still just one fumble until he shows it's a trend. Kubes will have him on a shorter leash when he's not carrying the ball securely, but I think he's still going to get his chance.

Jackie Chiles
08-15-2010, 12:41 PM

First thing that jumped to mind when reading this was the potential lockout.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 12:45 PM

Is is just me or does anyone else feel like their IQ went up 10 pts after reading CnD's posts :)

Well, we've got 3 more weeks of camp and 3 other p/s games to find out how bad this impacts the running game. And there have got to be tons of other RBs to bring in to compete for that 4th RB spot. Right now it's still Foster/Slaton/Johnson/Henry. If our line improves, that might be enough.

What I don't get is how it happened. The tackler grabbed Tate by his ankle; was that enough to do the damage or did he land on that joint during the tackle and that's what broke it??

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 12:53 PM
What about the often-claimed phrase "It's better, in the long run in terms of recovery and future stability, to have broken it instead of fractured it"?

Is that a an urban legend? My wife played volleyball and has always said that it's better to have a break than a fracture. Have just always wondered if this is true or not.

GP,

In medical terminology, a fracture of a bone and a broken bone are synonymous. Lay people assign all sorts of specific meanings (although incorrectly) to these terms. Sometimes, I've seen partial break assigned to one to distiguish it from complete separation break . Other times, I've seen a "clean" break assigned to one to distinguish it from a comminuted (multiple pieces) break assigned to the other. If your wife is trying to say that a "clean" break [her term-"a break"] is better to have sustained than a comminuted (multiple fragmentation) break [her term-"a fracture"], then she is correct.

JB
08-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Probably, but "a fractured ankle" has been reported by McClain.

Do you still have faith in what McClain says? I know he said he thinks Ben is done for the year with a broken ankle, but I will wait for the official report.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 12:57 PM
The Steelers lost Rashard Mendenhall, their first round pick, during his rookie
year, and still won Superbowl. When Ben went down, I felt bad for Ben,
but for the Texans' production at halfback. We still seem to have
two more realistic options, and one scatback.

As good as Jacoby Jones and Dickerson looked last night, this offense
shouldn't miss a beat. It took Moulden two seasons to recover from
a shattered ankle, so here's hoping Ben makes a speedy recovery.

I was thinking the same thing. I recall all the uproar when we had a chance to snag him but traded down and ended up with Slaton.

Any of you draftniks or waiver wire bloodhounds out there know of anyone that we could bring in?

JB
08-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Is is just me or does anyone else feel like their IQ went up 10 pts after reading CnD's posts :)

Well, we've got 3 more weeks of camp and 3 other p/s games to find out how bad this impacts the running game. And there have got to be tons of other RBs to bring in to compete for that 4th RB spot. Right now it's still Foster/Slaton/Johnson/Henry. If our line improves, that might be enough.

What I don't get is how it happened. The tackler grabbed Tate by his ankle; was that enough to do the damage or did he land on that joint during the tackle and that's what broke it??

Agree with what you are saying. His posts are wonderful to read and very enlightening, but you give too much credit to the mental capacity of some of us.

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Do you still have faith in what McClain says? I know he said he thinks Ben is done for the year with a broken ankle, but I will wait for the official report.

I'm not always sure that my lack of faith in the accuracy of reporting Texans injuries stops with McClain.

The Pencil Neck
08-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Odd because that is why I would say don't use high picks on backs, use them on OLine so any half talent back can be productive.

It's all about strategy. A great line can make a crappy back look good but the reverse is also true. A great back can make a crappy line look good.

You never know which RB is going to get injured. So you need your overall talent level to be high and it's a helluva risk thinking you're going to get talented UDFA's like Foster and Johnson. If you look at the top RBs in the league, most of them are high round draft choices. OTOH, if you look at starting offensive linemen, more of them are UDFA and low round draft choices.

Therefore, despite stories of players like Terrell Davis and Arian Foster, you have a higher chance of having a good line with UDFAs and low round draft choices than you have of finding a good running back down there.

GP
08-15-2010, 01:04 PM
GP,

In medical terminology, a fracture of a bone and a broken bone are synonymous. Lay people assign all sorts of specific meanings (although incorrectly) to these terms. Sometimes, I've seen partial break assigned to one to distiguish it from complete separation break . Other times, I've seen a "clean" break assigned to one to distinguish it from a comminuted (multiple pieces) break assigned to the other. If your wife is trying to say that a "clean" break [her term-"a break"] is better to have sustained than a comminuted (multiple fragmentation) break [her term-"a fracture"], then she is correct.

Yes, that's what she meant. Thank you for taking the time to respond. You might need to create a new user name on here, to catch a break from our inquiries.

We should have a donate button that let's us contribute to CND!

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 01:05 PM
it's all about strategy. A great line can make a crappy back look good but the reverse is also true. A great back can make a crappy line look good.

You never know which rb is going to get injured. So you need your overall talent level to be high and it's a helluva risk thinking you're going to get talented udfa's like foster and johnson. If you look at the top rbs in the league, most of them are high round draft choices. Otoh, if you look at starting offensive linemen, more of them are udfa and low round draft choices.

Therefore, despite stories of players like terrell davis and arian foster, you have a higher chance of having a good line with udfas and low round draft choices than you have of finding a good running back down there.

qft

GP
08-15-2010, 01:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I recall all the uproar when we had a chance to snag him but traded down and ended up with Slaton.

Any of you draftniks or waiver wire bloodhounds out there know of anyone that we could bring in?

I wonder if Larry Johnson would have been a good pickup, had we shown interest in him?

Or maybe even Thomas Jones? But he slipped away.

Cedric Benson? I know, know: legal problems.

Willie Parker? Signed with someone else.

(Sigh)

You're always going to have a RB problem, IMO. It's never-ending.

JB
08-15-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm not always sure that my lack of faith in the accuracy of reporting Texans injuries stops with McClain.

:spit: This made me literally laugh out loud. And I agree.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 01:25 PM
I wonder if Larry Johnson would have been a good pickup, had we shown interest in him?

Or maybe even Thomas Jones? But he slipped away.

Cedric Benson? I know, know: legal problems.

Willie Parker? Signed with someone else.

(Sigh)

You're always going to have a RB problem, IMO. It's never-ending.

I did a quick Google search and it looks like all the veteran F/A RB names I recognized have signed on with someone already. WalterFootball has a decent list (http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2010RB.php) that was updated on 8/13.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info CND.

Atleast Tate will have 2 seasons to get healthy.

The looming lockout may work in Tate's favor.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I did a quick Google search and it looks like all the veteran F/A RB names I recognized have signed on with someone already. WalterFootball has a decent list (http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2010RB.php) that was updated on 8/13.

Willie Parker or Ryan Torrain will probably be cut by the Redskins.

I bet Henry and Johnson slept better last night than they have in weeks.

dream_team
08-15-2010, 01:41 PM
i just re-watched the play multiple times where Tate got injured... didn't look like there was much there that should've caused an injury? Did I miss something?

TexanSam
08-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Maybe Glen Coffee doesn't really want to retire after all

DexmanC
08-15-2010, 02:10 PM
i just re-watched the play multiple times where Tate got injured... didn't look like there was much there that should've caused an injury? Did I miss something?

The defender wrapped Ben up by his ankles, and momentum drove the
front of his foot into the ground, WHILE rolling over. It must have
snapped his ankle. Complete freak accident during a legal tackle.

Second Honeymoon
08-15-2010, 02:52 PM
The regime has egg on their face. Their failure to secure a veteran Rb made them reach for a RB early in draft and now the guy is done after one carry.

So the spendthrift ways cost them a 2nd and leaves them with Foster and a bumbling and fumbling loser like Slaton

thank god we have foster running well but we need more....now!!

So much for worrying about the durability of the vets...
...they wouldn't even commit 6million to get one of the plethora of vets available
shame on you mcnair and smithiak

but at least you have another excuse to go along with Cush's suspension
excuse after excuse for Gary the flatlining moron of a head coach
great OC but it's a fact that he is a loser of a head coach
can't argue that either
guy is a big fat loser, period. It sucks but it's true

GP
08-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Willie Parker or Ryan Torrain will probably be cut by the Redskins.

I bet Henry and Johnson slept better last night than they have in weeks.

If Torrain is available, it would be a GOOD pickup for us.

I watched the end of the Redskins-Bills game, and while it WAS 3rd stringers finishing out the game, Torrain was easily identifying the seams during the play and hitting that gap very quickly and with authority.

I think he could fit in here. I really do.

GP
08-15-2010, 03:00 PM
The regime has egg on their face. Their failure to secure a veteran Rb made them reach for a RB early in draft and now the guy is done after one carry.

So the spendthrift ways cost them a 2nd and leaves them with Foster and a bumbling and fumbling loser like Slaton

Man, just stop it already. Everyone knows when they see your avatar and user name what is going to be said.

You can't spend 95% of your posts by opening a can of whoop-ass on the team's leadership and then end it with a token "But here's something I think is OK" statement.

Even I know when to move on. Join me. It's liberating, SH. You won't have to give up your Hater Card all at once. Just a little piece of it at a time. Nobody is asking you to completely sell out all at once.

JB
08-15-2010, 03:09 PM

...they wouldn't even commit 6million to get one of the plethora of vets available

can't argue that either

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

b0ng
08-15-2010, 03:09 PM

Hey look, another completely predictable post! You could possibly write a book, maybe title it something like "Gary Kubiak Is A Loser" I mean in your head nobody could argue that point right? After the success of your first book, you could follow it up with "Bob McNair Is Cheap" because again, nobody could argue that point with you could they?

Oh well, maybe you'll post something in the realm of reality in a month or two.

Marcus
08-15-2010, 03:11 PM
It's all about strategy. A great line can make a crappy back look good but the reverse is also true. A great back can make a crappy line look good.

Don't agree with that at all. If you have a crappy line, it will just make a great back look crappy.

As for Slaton, I've totally lost faith in him. He's been moved to the "I'm worried that he's going to cough it up everytime he touches it" department". And I don't like players who are in that department . . at all.

The commentators were even worried about it even before the fumble, 'not tucking in the ball', 'turning his back to the defender', etc. And this is all after he spent the offseason supposedly concentrating on just one thing, protecting the ball. Lot of good that did.

Boy, what a difference one game makes. Now it's down to 'well, I hope Foster stays healthy or we're screwed'.

JB
08-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Hey look, another completely predictable post! You could possibly write a book, maybe title it something like "Gary Kubiak Is A Loser" I mean in your head nobody could argue that point right? After the success of your first book, you could follow it up with "Bob McNair Is Cheap" because again, nobody could argue that point with you could they?

Oh well, maybe you'll post something in the realm of reality in a month or two.

Don't hold you breath.

Second Honeymoon
08-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Truth hurts

they screwed up in not getting a vet RB
is it even up for debate after the Tate disaster?

Rey
08-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Truth hurts

That makes 0 sense. Don't even understand your point here.

TheDrifter
08-15-2010, 03:21 PM
That makes 0 sense. Don't even understand your point here.

No, dont you see?

Vet running backs dont get injured.

Only rookie ones.

I mean, who doesnt know that, am I right?

GP
08-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Truth hurts

Yeah, but what if we had acquired a RB (from your list) and he gets hurt, too?

Injuries happen. What if Schaub gets hurt and misses 8 games or more?

Freak stuff happens. Ask Charles Spencer.

I think what's angering most people about your post in this particular instance, is that you're leveraging freak injuries in order to support your theories.

I think it's border line "Bad fan" to use unforeseen and accidental situations to your advantage. It's like you're an ambulance chaser: "Gee whiz, sir, sorry you lost your wife in that accident back down the road...do you have legal counsel for what just happened a few minutes ago? I'd like to help you..."

I know we're all worried about the newly-created problem that Tate's injury presents us...but we're going to find a way to make things work. Trent Green of the St. Louis Rams got hurt and A guy named Kurt Warner popped up from pure obscurity to lead that team to a title.

Injuries do not discriminate. It's life. I hope a guy like Steve Slaton sees this and somehow gets his damn head screwed on straight: You might not get another chance, so make the best of it and do your job better than you have.

Right now, my main concern is will Ben Tate ever get to play and be able to show what he can do? One great run, and BAM! it's done. That, ladies and gents, sucks.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Truth hurts

While it is true I would've prefered a vet. FA signing. Nobody has foresight to know who's going to get injured.

As far as the Kubes thing we're in agreement that Kubes isn't the guy to lead a team to a championship. But the tone you have seems to get koolaid drinkers blood pressure up.

This makes me LOL so keep it up.

b0ng
08-15-2010, 03:33 PM
I like how Tate getting injured is a perfect springboard for the crazies to say that it's the Texans fault.

I mean hell, my Madden franchise is the bomb now because I totally traded a bunch of 6th rounders for LaDanian Tomlinson and Thomas Jones. Hell I even got Shaun Alexander back and he's a BEAST NOW, don't you see how this is the Texans fault?

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Yeah, but what if we had acquired a RB (from your list) and he gets hurt, too?

Injuries happen. What if Schaub gets hurt and misses 8 games or more?

I think what's angering most people about your post in this particular instance, is that you're leveraging freak injuries in order to support your theories.

I think it's border line "Bad fan" to use unforeseen and accidental situations to your advantage. It's like you're an ambulance chaser: "Gee whiz, sir, sorry you lost your wife in that accident back down the road...do you have legal counsel for what just happened a few minutes ago? I'd like to help you..."

I know we're all worried about the newly-created problem that Tate's injury presents us...but we're going to find a way to make things work. Trent Green of the St. Louis Rams got hurt and A guy named Kurt Warner popped up from pure obscurity to lead that team to a title.

Injuries do not discriminate. It's life. I hope a guy like Steve Slaton sees this and somehow gets his damn head screwed on straight: You might not get another chance, so make the best of it and do your job better than you have.

Right now, my main concern is will Ben Tate ever get to play and be able to show what he can do? One great run, and BAM! it's done. That, ladies and gents, sucks.

Great analogy

Ambulance chasers, LOL

MojoMan
08-15-2010, 03:37 PM

can't argue that either

Did someone wee-wee in your Cheerios this morning? Seriously, Gary Kubiak may not be the greatest football mind in NFL history, but the ferocity of your criticism of him is clearly excessive and over the top. Maybe you are just trying to get a rise out of people. Just saying.

GP
08-15-2010, 03:38 PM
http://images2.cpcache.com/product/83808152v12_480x480_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

dalemurphy
08-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Truth hurts

Name the player they should've signed.

Second Honeymoon
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
While it is true I would've prefered a vet. FA signing. Nobody has foresight to know who's going to get injured.

As far as the Kubes thing we're in agreement that Kubes isn't the guy to lead a team to a championship. But the tone you have seems to get koolaid drinkers blood pressure up.

This makes me LOL so keep it up.

They are the same yayhoos that thought carr's problem was the OL
so excuse me if I take all the hate with a grain of salt

I have always shot straight and will never adopt the sheeple mindset that afflicts some posters. Kubiak us what he is. A hc with a losing record over 5 years. That isn't an opinion or being a 'bad fan'. It's called being honest.

Kubiak has done a good job fostering the development of the passing ge but he is head coach and his results have had his team losing more than winning.

That isn't a take
it's a fact. So while you are posting about me and how horrible and evil I am, I will be posting truths, trends, and cold facts

I was right before amidst much witch hunting and I am right again
just get your excuses lined up...looks like we got some new ones coming down the proverbial pipe. This isn't about me, it's about failing to aim high and setting the bar at mediocrity and not going for championship in the regime

kubiak has shown nothing that he is a championship level hc to me
maybe it's just wishful thinking or blind myopia amongst some
I don't know and really don't care but it would be nice if being honest wasn't labeled as being a bad fan

Second Honeymoon
08-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Taylor, tomlinson, or jones would have helped greatly
that is an opinion not a fact though
it is a fact that their plan has not worked out as planned

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 03:56 PM
can't argue that either

We haven't had a losing season in three years.

Wolf
08-15-2010, 03:59 PM
geeze SH .. just when I thought I got so used to your posts that I would quit shaking my head when I read them , but you ,my friend, cease to amaze me

GP
08-15-2010, 04:00 PM

I have always shot straight and will never adopt the sheeple mindset that afflicts some posters. Kubiak us what he is. A hc with a losing record over 5 years. That isn't an opinion or being a 'bad fan'. It's called being honest.

Kubiak has done a good job fostering the development of the passing ge but he is head coach and his results have had his team losing more than winning.

That isn't a take
it's a fact. So while you are posting about me and how horrible and evil I am, I will be posting truths, trends, and cold facts

just get your excuses lined up...looks like we got some new ones coming down the proverbial pipe. This isn't about me, it's about failing to aim high and setting the bar at mediocrity and not going for championship in the regime

I don't know and really don't care but it would be nice if being honest wasn't labeled as being a bad fan

You're irrationality has helped me to shake the spider webs from my mind, and to finally embrace that there is no perfect head coach in existence.

Had our team come out as flat as the Cardinals did last night, I'm probably throwing some pretty heavy rocks at Kubiak right now. But you know what? We didn't. Almost to-a-man our team was doing its jobs and doing them well.

The worst part, and it was easily (PERHAPS) the ONLY bad part of the whole game, was the injury to Tate. Which was nobody's fault.

Trying to triangulate Kubiak to this situation is poor character, IMO. Again, that's only my opinion. He's putting JJ in there as essentially the number 2 WR. He let go of Richard Smith and look what THAT has done for our defense. He brought in David Gibbs and look what happened: We get Pollard because Gibbs jumped all over that opportunity. He lets Alex Gibbs walk, which was good timing because we grew beyond him IMO. We lose Shanny Jr. and our offense didn't skip a beat last night. He brought in Rackers to give Kris some competition. He drafted a CB from a national championship team who is known for extensively coaching up his defensive backs. He didn't wait until round 6 to draft a RB this year--But the 2nd rounder (Tate) gets hurt in a freak play and Kubiak is now a goat for it.

As much as you can be "right" about David Carr, at some point you have to move beyond it and realize that it's no longer a part of your resume that's going to get you the job as Chief Criticizer & Judge of Talent around here.

Return, with me, to the land of analysis and dialogue. It flows with milk and honey. I promise.

Wolf
08-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Ben's facebook
Ben Tate Thanks to everyone for your prayers and wishing me well!!! i didnt break my ankle i can tell you that but thanks to everyone

GP
08-15-2010, 04:03 PM
He didn't break it?!?!?!

Now we have to wonder if it's ligament damage or other non-break trauma.

Oh man, but that he DIDN'T break it is some sort of consolation for all of us!

Just gotta' get the whole story now. Thanks, Wolf. Rep your way if it lets me.

b0ng
08-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Ben's facebook

I hope he's not downplaying his injury or that it's something worse than an ankle break. But it at least made my day a little brighter reading that from Tate.

Second Honeymoon
08-15-2010, 04:05 PM
We haven't had a losing season in three years.

He has had five years
losing record over five years
good coaches don't need five years and five offseasons to build a winner

but we are one game over .500 the last 3 years so let's start the parade
while we are at it let's just build a statue of the guy with
'no losing record in three years' engraved on it

hip hip hooray

Lucky
08-15-2010, 04:10 PM
We're not going to start with the personal attacks this early in the preseason, are we?

I guess we are.

Had they signed a vet RB, he could have been done after the first preseason game. Remember Ahman Green didn't last very long.

Rather than dwell on what Smithiak has done, we should be wondering what they will do. Another RB should be secured before the season starts. Let's see how this plays out.

steelbtexan

That isn't a take

Man,I'm with you on the whole McNair/Kubes thing.

I have the bar for this franchise set just as high as you do. (championship)

I was just enjoying poking a little fun at you.

That wont happen again.

GP
He has had five years

hip hip hooray

At least you could wait until week 8 or 9 to start this.

Because if we're rockin-and-rollin by then, you're going to have some explaining to do. We're not even in the reg season yet. You're saying that we should not even care to watch or have hope this season, until we get us a real good coach who knows how to win.

You know, man, I've positive rep'd you in the past but right now is a time when we just love football and could care if our coach was Kubiak or Perez Hilton. It's been a long time since football, and you're finding every opportunity to make it miserable.

Oh wait, my bad. Gary Kubiak is making it miserable for us. I forgot. :(

Second Honeymoon
08-15-2010, 04:13 PM
So I guess it's time to go to the personal insult-card when peope point out truths and facts that you don't like or. Anger you

I won't be responding to the personal attacks with ones of my own but thanks for playing anyway

GP
08-15-2010, 04:13 PM
We're not going to start with the personal attacks this early in the preseason, are we?

I guess we are.

Abso-freaking-lutely we are. LOL.

I bet Rams fans wish they were us right now. I bet Bills fans wish they were us right now. We're not world-beaters but we're tolerable by a mile. We have a fighting chance, that's what I'm trying to say.

But when there's someone always in the back of the room, heckling, it just gets old after awhile. That's all.

FirstTexansFan
08-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Stop this SH! :)

GP
08-15-2010, 04:17 PM
So I guess it's time to go to the personal insult-card when peope point out truths and facts that you don't like or. Anger you

I won't be responding to the personal attacks with ones of my own but thanks for playing anyway

You are engaging in personal attacks with your passive aggressive "I know football better than you do" crap. It's condescending. Can't you tell by now?

Join us in actually talking about the entire aspects of this team, not just the parts that you pick and choose so that you can gather around you a great number of disciples to share in the fun of tearing things down.

And yet you wonder why so many people are mad at you? At some point, you do have to give two shits about what perception people have of you. It doesn't have to drive your entire conversation, but just at least stop walking around the room popping everyone's balloon and pee'ing in their ginger ale when they're not looking. Just a tiny bit of decorum, please?

Lucky
08-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Let's stay on topic rather than tell other posters how to post. For those who don't know how to use the ignore function, please PM me.

FirstTexansFan
08-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Let's stay on topic rather than tell other posters how to post. For those who don't know how to use the ignore function, please PM me.

That's awful close to PMS, which seems to be running rampant on the boards of late... :)

Thorn
08-15-2010, 04:25 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=4225&play_clip=y

Kubiac's live interview is about to happen now.

Marcus
08-15-2010, 04:31 PM
That's awful close to PMS, which seems to be running rampant on the boards of late... :)

deleted

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 04:32 PM

While we are thumping chests here, let me get mine in. I was on the fore-front of the "Carr ain't going to get it done" band wagon myself. I believe I was the first to point out his ability to run into a sack.

A hc with a losing record over 5 years. That isn't an opinion or being a 'bad fan'. It's called being honest.

I know it's a technicality, but he hasn't had a loosing record over 5 years.
1) 2006
2) 2007
3) 2008
4) 2009

He only had a losing record once.

& while we are on technicalities, it's yahoos.

He's had a top 5 offense two years running. I'm betting he'll have a top 10 defense in 2010, maybe even top 5.

That isn't a take
it's a fact.

Actually, it's skewed. We have won more than we've lost in the most recent years, which is what counts.

So while you are posting about me and how horrible and evil I am, I will be posting truths, trends, and cold facts

I think he was a fan of your before you posted this.

I didn't label you a bad fan. I don't recall anyone labeling you a bad fan, though I would understand if they did.

Let me ask you this. IF (& that is a big If) we just happen to be the AFC Champs this year, what are you going to say? "I knew it"

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 04:33 PM

I believe the Texans will finish 7-9 and Kubes will never be a championship caliber HC.

However a new football season is upon us. Hope should remain supreme. I can relistically say that without major injuries this team could go 10-6 or 11-5 if everything fell into place.

It's a new year stay positive until you have a reason not to be positive.

Kaiser Toro
08-15-2010, 04:34 PM
I really did not see Tate having much of an impact on the Texans' playoff hopes other than who would get cut at the position. I am happy with Foster, Slaton and whoever based on what I saw from the offense last night. Foster looks like the real deal with his smooth, efficient gait. I will be interested to see him block and catch the next couple of games.

I hope the injury is not as worse as it could be, but we will certainly see how strong Tate's work ethic is over the next year or so.

TheRealJoker
08-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Truth hurts

Yes, if we got a vet running back, like Ahman Green for example, there is no chance they would've gotten hurt.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Truth hurts

Ahman Green was a vet RB with multi 1000-yd seasons on his resume'
Didn't he get injured both seasons he was here?
Chris Brown was a vet RB how did that work out?

Get a better argument, that one has too many holes in it.

PHAROAH
:scarygirl:Man this is sad.

thunderkyss
He has had five years

Is there something wrong with my math here?

Can we really say he has had a losing record over 5 years, at the beginning of the fifth year?

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Kubiak has just confirmed Tate will require SURGERY. He said "It is really bad." This is
what I expected. He said would would have more details tomorrow.

ChrisG
08-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Tate is saying it isnt broken but needs surgery (per rotoworld). I want one preseason without a major or new player not getting hurt

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Texans coach Gary Kubiak confirmed Sunday that Ben Tate will need surgery on his injured ankle.

Tate insists the ankle isn't broken, but it's got to be dislocated at least. It's unclear if the Texans will place him on injured reserve. Arian Foster is even more locked in as Houston's starting tailback, and worth a mid-round pick in all fantasy drafts. The Texans may have to keep Chris Henry on the roster as a third-string runner. Tate is undraftable in re-draft leagues. LINK (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38715394/ns/sports-player_news/)

Without MRI results fracture will not be ruled out. But if he has enough ligaments torn without fracture to require surgery, this will be a long enough rehab to make a return this year unlikely, very possibly unwise.........for not only Tate's sake, but for the team's benefit (since return to same level of performance would be highly unlikely for this season). Who knows, though. We haven't heard the final diagnosis........just some vague description by Kubiak, and a statement from Tate.

PHAROAH
08-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Man looks like we will have to trade for a back this year or draft another one in the first or second round in the 2011 NFL draft. There is no telling how he will come back from this injury.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 04:59 PM
He has had five years

hip hip hooray

Tom Landry didn't post a winning record until his 7th season.
But maybe you don't consider him a "good coach".

Lucky
08-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Tom Landry didn't post a winning record until his 7th season.
In today's NFL, Landry would have never made it to a 7th season. Apples & oranges.

MojoMan
08-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Man looks like we will have to trade for a back this year or draft another one in the first or second round in the 2011 NFL draft. There is no telling how he will come back from this injury.

The Texans should draft another running back reasonably high in 2011 regardless of what Tate's status turns out to be. Unfortunately, RB's tend to get injured a lot and their average tenure in the NFL is quite short. Despite all the recent hype about how deep the Texans are at RB, I will believe it when I see it. As far as I can tell, after the loss of Ben Tate the Texans are probably not any deeper at this position than they were last year or the year before. This is still a position of substantial uncertainty for this team.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 05:09 PM
The Texans should draft another running back reasonably high in 2011 regardless of what Tate's status turns out to be. Unfortunately, RB's tend to get injured a lot and their average tenure in the NFL is quite short. Despite all the recent hype about how deep the Texans are at RB, I will believe it when I see it. As far as I can tell, after the loss of Ben Tate the Texans are probably not any deeper at this position than they were last year or the year before. This is still a position of substantial uncertainty for this team.

I agree it is uncertain now, but as unlikely as it may sound, I would rather wait to see what Foster, Slaton, Henry, & JJ do. RB may not even be on the docket in 2011.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 05:10 PM
In today's NFL, Landry would have never made it to a 7th season. Apples & oranges.

and maybe that's the problem with this short-attention span, instant gratification generation. No patience.

PHAROAH
08-15-2010, 05:10 PM
The Texans should draft another running back reasonably high in 2011 regardless of what Tate's status turns out to be. Unfortunately, RB's tend to get injured a lot and their average tenure in the NFL is quite short. Despite all the recent hype about how deep the Texans are at RB, I will believe it when I see it. As far as I can tell, after the loss of Ben Tate the Texans are probably not any deeper at this position than they were last year or the year before. This is still a position of substantial uncertainty for this team. MojoMan i'm with you and too be honest I don't think that we are deep at all when we were ranked 30th in rushing overall last season and we come back with the same back minus our 2nd round pick who we were banking on stimulating the ground game. This is a huge blow and the Texans have to make a major move to trade for a very good back who can help us now and not wait on next season.

Jackie Chiles
08-15-2010, 05:11 PM

I don't know about that, ditching Chris Brown alone immediately changes the face of our running game. I was skeptical and I don't want to overreact to one preseason game, but we looked pretty solid yesterday. Our running game sucked in last years preseason as well as the regular so take that for what its worth.

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 05:12 PM
From what I can ascertain, I don't see a scenario where Tate goes PUP and is able to return in time to avoid IR.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 05:17 PM
and maybe that's the problem with this short-attention span, instant gratification generation. No patience.

9 yrs, no patience, no playoffs =?

How much patience is enough on your patience scale?

b0ng
08-15-2010, 05:20 PM

How long ago would you have chosen a different team to root for if you were a Bills, Lions or Browns fan? (Throw in the Bengals too if you want to ignore the one-and-done playoff year last year).

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 05:35 PM

How much patience is enough on your patience scale?

for me, as long as it takes. I used to root for the Oilers all those lean years until Bum and Earl showed up.
And it's only 8 yrs, the ninth year has yet to unfold.

JB
08-15-2010, 05:36 PM
for me, as long as it takes. I used to root for the Oilers all those lean years until Bum and Earl showed up.

Yeah, but this year is already wasted because we lost the first pre-season game...

Rey
08-15-2010, 05:37 PM
In today's NFL, Landry would have never made it to a 7th season.

I think that's his point.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 06:09 PM

As an old Oiler fan I'm with you and I will continue to be a Texan fan until I die or they move to some other city.

I hoped with the new franchise they wouldn't remind me so much of the old Oilers. (losing games when they counted the most)

Kubes actually reminds me of another former Oiler/Aggie HC. Jack Pardee

Great guy didn't ever win a championship. Had problems with clock management. I guess math isn't a strong suit up there in College Station. LOL

The Kubes extention really bothers me.

Marcus
08-15-2010, 06:29 PM

Would it still "bother" you if they went to the playoffs this year?

(Jeez . . don't even answer that. I'm in enough trouble already.)

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Would it still "bother" you if they went to the playoffs this year?

(Jeez . . don't even answer that. I'm in enough trouble already.)

You already know the answer to that ?

LOL

Jackie Chiles
08-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Great guy didn't ever win a championship. Had problems with clock management. I guess math isn't a strong suit up there in College Station. LOL

If I was an Aggie I would be mighty tempted to point out how spelling must not be a strong suit for steelbtexan. /duck

As far as Gary goes, I do believe we could do better but I also believe he can get better. If this team comes out every game with the type of intensity and discipline they had yesterday I will be pretty much completely satisfied.

dream_team
08-15-2010, 06:55 PM
It's kind of funny how a "Ben Tate injury" thread could lead to Kubiak/Smith/McNair regime sucks.

I think Kubiak haters already have their mind set... nothing will change their minds until he wins a SB. If we signed a vet like LT, instead of draft Tate, and LT got injured yesterday, then the haters would blast "didn't he learn anything from the Ahman Green fiasco?".

Like people have been saying, injuries are a part of the game... and most of the time, they're freak accidents. You can't put blame on Kubiak for Tate's injury.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 07:06 PM
You already know the answer to that ?

LOL

See, here's the deal. For me anyway.

There are several guys who would have been fine with it, had we made the play-offs, it doesn't matter if Kubiak had done a better job or not. There were three scenarios in which we could have gone to the playoffs where Kubiak had done nothing different.

If the Colts would have tried for the perfect season.

If the Bengals would have played to win.

By some weird chance, the Raiders beat the 9-7 Baltimore Ravens week 17.

All of those were plausible, and could have happened. I am well aware of all the things that could have happened to make us 8-8 or worse, this isn't about that.

If you're not happy with this team that Kubiak built, then you shouldn't be happy with being 9-7 & sneaking into the play-offs. IMHO, if this is you, then you're just taking your frustrations out on Kubiak, and may not be thinking rationally.

If you are truly not happy with Kubiak, you wouldn't be happy with this team, even if we went to the Super Bowl and won. Same way many people didn't like Terrell Owens, and tried to rationalize that he had nothing to do with getting the Eagles to the Super Bowl.

I truly believe there are people here, who hate Kubiak enough that a Super Bowl wouldn't change their mind about the team. & that is fine, that is their prerogative. Loving the Texans doesn't mean you have to love Kubiak.

Surely those people will flip this, and say there are people who would make excuses for Kubiak if we went 2-14, or anything less than 9-7 in 2010. Just to be clear, I'm not one of those people. I'll be upset if the Texans don't finish 10-6 or better.

I think it is totally possible for this team to finish with 14 wins with this schedule.

9-7 wasn't what I hoped for last season, but it was acceptable for who we were, and all that happened last season. To me. I didn't count on getting swept by the Jags, and I didn't think we would lose both the Jets game and the Cardinals game. Other than that, everything went the way I thought it might.

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Tate tweeted this:

Sucks to be hurt and not be out there with my teammates working to make the playoffs but what doesnt kill you only makes you stronger!!
about 1 hour ago via web

TimeKiller
08-15-2010, 07:16 PM
It's kind of funny how a "Ben Tate injury" thread could lead to Kubiak/Smith/McNair regime sucks.
Burn.

Dutchrudder
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM

I think they should have gone after Thomas Jones and a RB in the draft, such as Tate. 2 mill this year, 3 next for Jones is peanuts to most teams in the NFL besides the Texans. In an uncapped year, it's a terrible mistake not to bring in a vet presence at a position of eternal weakness for this team. Even if he isn't your #1 or #2 guy, he can bring some experience to a position that is full of young and unproven players.

Norg
08-15-2010, 07:38 PM
what if he ends up like green

he gets injured like 1st snap

comes back a year latter and gets injured agian on the 2nd snap .....

gets released his third year

Marcus
08-15-2010, 07:40 PM
See, here's the deal. For me anyway.

There are several guys who would have been fine with it, had we made the play-offs, it doesn't matter if Kubiak had done a better job or not. There were three scenarios in which we could have gone to the playoffs where Kubiak had done nothing different.

If the Colts would have tried for the perfect season.

If the Bengals would have played to win.

By some weird chance, the Raiders beat the 9-7 Baltimore Ravens week 17.

All of those were plausible, and could have happened. I am well aware of all the things that could have happened to make us 8-8 or worse, this isn't about that.

If you're not happy with this team that Kubiak built, then you shouldn't be happy with being 9-7 & sneaking into the play-offs. IMHO, if this is you, then you're just taking your frustrations out on Kubiak, and may not be thinking rationally.

If you are truly not happy with Kubiak, you wouldn't be happy with this team, even if we went to the Super Bowl and won. Same way many people didn't like Terrell Owens, and tried to rationalize that he had nothing to do with getting the Eagles to the Super Bowl.

I truly believe there are people here, who hate Kubiak enough that a Super Bowl wouldn't change their mind about the team. & that is fine, that is their prerogative. Loving the Texans doesn't mean you have to love Kubiak.

Surely those people will flip this, and say there are people who would make excuses for Kubiak if we went 2-14, or anything less than 9-7 in 2010. Just to be clear, I'm not one of those people. I'll be upset if the Texans don't finish 10-6 or better.

I think it is totally possible for this team to finish with 14 wins with this schedule.

9-7 wasn't what I hoped for last season, but it was acceptable for who we were, and all that happened last season. To me. I didn't count on getting swept by the Jags, and I didn't think we would lose both the Jets game and the Cardinals game. Other than that, everything went the way I thought it might.

Nice post, TK. Rep if it'll let me.

I knew going in that there are some here who have red asses that haven't healed because he was extended. So I know we're going to have to read their crying every single week, win or lose. But for those of us who want to put it behind, and let this new season stand on it's own merits, it will be aggravating.

This might indeed be a fun season watching the team play, but I don't think it's going to be fun around here.

swisher
08-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Why does this give me horrible flashbacks to Bennie Joppru? Lets hope this Ben can come back from this.

ubecool454
08-15-2010, 07:56 PM
I think they should have gone after Thomas Jones and a RB in the draft, such as Tate. 2 mill this year, 3 next for Jones is peanuts to most teams in the NFL besides the Texans. In an uncapped year, it's a terrible mistake not to bring in a vet presence at a position of eternal weakness for this team. Even if he isn't your #1 or #2 guy, he can bring some experience to a position that is full of young and unproven players.

Dutch you are on point......I've been wanting to pickup Thomas Jones since the Bears screwed up and released him in favor of Benson.

THE NFL
08-15-2010, 08:00 PM
14 wins? This team with this schedule is more likely to lose 14 than win 14.

I really want to know how you come up with that? I mean seriously. I want to know where you see 14 wins.

NitroGSXR
08-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Do you really want to ask Charles Spencer if the Texans about getting a better RB than Ron Dayne?

NitroGSXR
08-15-2010, 08:04 PM
Starting with Cedric Benson or LaDainian Tomlinson? Just wanted to get situated with which season to begin with...

ubecool454
08-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Why does this give me horrible flashbacks to Bennie Joppru? Lets hope this Ben can come back from this.

Relax dude and stop thinking the worst. Ben got hurt but he was going to be 1/3rd of the running game. I personally think that either Chris Henry or Jerimiah Johnson will be good enough to make the running game better than last year. I just wish Kubiak and Smith would have listened to me and picked up Lagarette Blount as a undrafted free agent along with Tate....then we would have no problems with a stable of young backs...I promise he would have made the loss of Tate a lot easier to deal with.

ubecool454
08-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Starting with Cedric Benson or LaDainian Tomlinson? Just wanted to get situated with which season to begin with...

Cedric Benson hasn't been good since his senior year in highschool.

NitroGSXR
08-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Cedric Benson hasn't been good since his senior year in highschool.
???

ArlingtonTexan
08-15-2010, 08:14 PM
It's kind of funny how a "Ben Tate injury" thread could lead to Kubiak/Smith/McNair regime sucks.I think Kubiak haters already have their mind set... nothing will change their minds until he wins a SB. If we signed a vet like LT, instead of draft Tate, and LT got injured yesterday, then the haters would blast "didn't he learn anything from the Ahman Green fiasco?".

Like people have been saying, injuries are a part of the game... and most of the time, they're freak accidents. You can't put blame on Kubiak for Tate's injury.

Pretty much any thread can turn into _____ sucks.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 08:19 PM
This might indeed be a fun season watching the team play, but I don't think it's going to be fun around here.

I thoroughly enjoyed every football game, except the opener against the Jets. They were good football games. I would have loved if we won them all. I wanted to win them all. I'm not happy that we didn't win more, but I remember sitting in Reliant, when people would be leaving early in the 4th Qtr, because the game was basically over. They would at least wait for the Texans offensive drive, and if it sputtered and stalled, they would bolt.

Last year, the games were exciting to the very last minute, because we were in a position to win.

Again, my expectations for 2008 was at 11 wins. I'm disappointed we didn't do it. But that was the best football I've seen in Houston in a long, long time.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 08:30 PM

I really want to know how you come up with that? I mean seriously. I want to know where you see 14 wins.

I truly believe we can beat any team. I don't believe the NFC East will be as competitive as most people believe. I think we'll win between 10 & 14 games.

ubecool454
08-15-2010, 08:35 PM
I truly believe we can beat any team. I don't believe the NFC East will be as competitive as most people believe. I think we'll win between 10 & 14 games.

Thunda has spoken....10 - 14 wins is good enough for me...just want to make the playoffs and get a home game.

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 08:37 PM

Shot called

LOL

I hope you're right.

THE NFL
08-15-2010, 08:38 PM
10 I can see... 14 ? No way in hell.

Dutchrudder
08-15-2010, 08:40 PM

Do you realize this is a Texans forum?

Kimmy
08-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Do you realize this is a Texans forum?

BTW - love your nickname! Funniest part of that movie :)

Dan B.
08-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Has there ever been a team in the history of Houston football that won 14 games? I'd be absolutely stunned if this team manages that, especially with the schedule they face. Nothing I've seen from them so far indicates that they will consistently beat the teams that they are IMO equal to in talent.

I think that the Texans are gonna finish with a winning record, and that this is going to be one of the most frustrating seasons we've had in Houston in years. They'll win some great games, but I really think they are going to have a few heartbreaking games like last year -- the type of losses that really stick with you. We are learning to be a team.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic. I think this is the best Texans team we've ever had, and the best team in Houston since the Run and Shoot days. Realistically though I just haven't seen anything to show how they can be consistent enough to win more than 10 games. If things really go our way I could see 11 or 12 wins, max.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 08:51 PM

Careful there. Put the koolade DOWN. Take a deep breath.
:D
We'll know a bit better where we are after the next two P/S games. While I'm glad we looked good against the Cards' 1's and 2's the truth is Arizona has issues; namely no more Kurt Warner or Anquan Bolden on offense. No Karlos Dansby on defense. So that Cardinal game was not a true test of where we are against the upper crust of the league. Let's see how we do against the Champs and the media darling Cowpies.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Careful there. Put the koolade DOWN. Take a deep breath.
:D
We'll know a bit better where we are after the next two P/S games. While I'm glad we looked good against the Cards' 1's and 2's the truth is Arizona has issues; namely no more Kurt Warner or Anquan Bolden on offense. No Karlos Dansby on defense. So that Cardinal game was not a true test of where we are against the upper crust of the league. Let's see how we do against the Champs and the media darling Cowpies.

I'm watching the game now, for the first time, so I wrote that before I even saw this game. I've yet to see anything to change my mind.

But you're right, the next two games will tell us alot.

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Sorry to interrupt you guys by posting about Tate. :pop:

But I just finished replaying the time around the injury. And I keep on asking the question why would the training staff after examination allow him to WALK off the field limping all the way to the bench in obvious severe pain?......not making sure that there would be no weight bearing before definitive diagnosis? Why would they take the chance of making an already significant injury worse before complete radiologic exam? Minimal bone separation due to ligament tear could be further separated with other associated ligaments further traumatized, which may not have otherwise occurred, possibly taking a relatively stable ankle to unstable. This is not to mention possibly taking a potentially present undisplaced fracture and turning it into a displaced fracture and doing further damage? I guess I'm missing something.

Feel free to go back to your other discussions.:texflag:

cuppacoffee
08-15-2010, 09:58 PM

But I just finished replaying the time around the injury. And I keep on asking the question why would the training staff after examination allow him to WALK off the field limping all the way to the bench in obvious severe pain?......not making sure that there would be no weight bearing before definitive diagnosis? Why would they take the chance of making an already significant injury worse before complete radiologic exam? Minimal bone separation due to ligament tear could be further separated with other associated ligaments further traumatized, which may not have otherwise occurred, possibly taking a relatively stable ankle to unstable. This is not to mention possibly taking a potentially present undisplaced fracture and turning it into a displaced fracture and doing further damage? I guess I'm missing something.

Folks around here have been questioning the Texans medical staff since Bosseli passed his physical.

:coffee:

Lucky
08-15-2010, 10:10 PM
But I just finished replaying the time around the injury. And I keep on asking the question why would the training staff after examination allow him to WALK off the field limping all the way to the bench in obvious severe pain?
Following the Texans since their inception, I've reached an uneducated conclusion that this team has one of, if not the, worst medical staffs in the NFL. I base this on observations such as the Boselli fiasco, the Domanick Davis misdiagnosis, the Spencer uncertainty, not informing Kubiak that Schaub could have a serious knee injury and allowing him to stay on the field in Minnesota, and several other cases.

Am I wrong to think this? You may not be in a position to opine on this directly. So if I'm wrong, reply with a single ping. If I'm right, just don't respond to this post at all. That simple.

SheTexan
08-15-2010, 10:14 PM

I was wondering the same thing Jean The boy was in obvious pain and looked like he wanted to collapse. When I saw that I figured the boy was in serious trouble. The Texans medical staff continues to amaze me, in all the wrong ways! Truthfully, I think they need to hire me to give those boys the ULTIMATE in psychological care, lots of grandma TLC!!!:heart: I'd be happy to give um a shoulder to cry on!!

steelbtexan
08-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Folks around here have been questioning the Texans medical staff since Bosseli passed his physical.

:coffee:

Yep

beerlover
08-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm not going to say the sky is falling but Texans might also have some kind of Witch Doctor voodoo RB curse in play :voodoo:

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Following the Texans since their inception, I've reached an uneducated conclusion that this team has one of, if not the, worst medical staffs in the NFL. I base this on observations such as the Boselli fiasco, the Domanick Davis misdiagnosis, the Spencer uncertainty, not informing Kubiak that Schaub could have a serious knee injury and allowing him to stay on the field in Minnesota, and several other cases.

Am I wrong to think this? You may not be in a position to opine on this directly. So if I'm wrong, reply with a single ping. If I'm right, just don't respond to this post at all. That simple.

but one of our major supporters is Methodist Hospital...
how could we not have the best medical staff in the NFL?
:sarcasm:
you raise an excellent question. and CnD makes an excellent observation... damn if I know how to answer either of them. But all of those examples reflect negatively - to me anyway - on the Texans' medical unit.

NitroGSXR
08-15-2010, 10:28 PM

Don't need to be a doctor to understand that the Texans medical staff are flat out morons. Especially if Orthopedic Associates is involved...

WWJD
08-15-2010, 10:28 PM
I didn't watch the game but heard on the radio this am that the announcers were saying a knee injury?

uh..ok..maybe they thought he could limp off ok and didn't suspect his ankle was hurt.

I am only guessing but if the announcers are saying "oh no it looks like a serious knee injury" maybe they didn't even think about his ankle in those few minutes of him being on the ground and then going to the sidelines.

grasping at straws here....to those that watched did he look like he broke his ankle or was it his knee that they were working on?

SheTexan
08-15-2010, 10:39 PM
I didn't watch the game but heard on the radio this am that the announcers were saying a knee injury?

uh..ok..maybe they thought he could limp off ok and didn't suspect his ankle was hurt.

I am only guessing but if the announcers are saying "oh no it looks like a serious knee injury" maybe they didn't even think about his ankle in those few minutes of him being on the ground and then going to the sidelines.

grasping at straws here....to those that watched did he look like he broke his ankle or was it his knee that they were working on?

At the time, the announcers were saying "knee" and it appeared to me that they were concentrating on that. From the first replays it looked like it was knee, and I was a little surprised when they started talking about his ankle. I'm not sure, but, I thought they had ice on his knee when they were carting him to the dressing room. Not sure about that though.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 10:46 PM

I re-ran the play in slo-mo about 4-5 times looking for some sign of an awkward/unnatural twisting or bending of the knee or ankle. I never really saw either of those joints being bent backwards or rolled over or anything like that. I think the announcers were looking at how hard his knee impacted the ground during the tackle.

The1ApplePie
08-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Man this blows.

Hope this isn't a repeat of Kenny Irons from a few years ago.

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 11:25 PM

I was wondering the same thing Jean The boy was in obvious pain and looked like he wanted to collapse. When I saw that I figured the boy was in serious trouble. The Texans medical staff continues to amaze me, in all the wrong ways! Truthfully, I think they need to hire me to give those boys the ULTIMATE in psychological care, lots of grandma TLC!!!:heart: I'd be happy to give um a shoulder to cry on!!

When I was watching the game, shortly after the injury was replayed, I posted that it looked more like an ankle. The training team were not concentrating on doing ANY of the typical knee exam maneuvers such as the "drawer" test. They were pulling back the foot, thereby checking the ankle. And when they were transporting him on the cart, they were steadying the leg (evidently protecting it from movement on the cart) pressing down just below the knee (on the shin bone [tibia]), something that you would not expect if the knee was injured. There was no ice wrap on the knee or the ankle.

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 11:39 PM
I re-ran the play in slo-mo about 4-5 times looking for some sign of an awkward/unnatural twisting or bending of the knee or ankle. I never really saw either of those joints being bent backwards or rolled over or anything like that. I think the announcers were looking at how hard his knee impacted the ground during the tackle.

Most physicians agree that the cause of a dislocation/fracture of the ankle occurs when there is a combination of inversion of the foot along with a twisting while the foot is maximally plantar-flexed (toes fully extended like a diving into the water position). This is exactly what you see on replay if you watch carefully.

Dislocation of the ankle requires considerable force because of the mechanical efficiency and strength of the associated ligaments. Since ligaments are stronger than the small tails of the tibia and fibula bones where they attach, most ankle dislocations are associated with fractures with the ligament still attached to the broken bone fragment.

That’s why, with Tate’s statement of dislocation without fracture, I’m a little skeptical and waiting even more intensely for the final MRI results.

hookinreds
08-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Most physicians agree that the cause of a dislocation/fracture of the ankle occurs when there is a combination of inversion of the foot along with a twisting while the foot is maximally plantar-flexed (toes fully extended). This is exactly what you see on replay if you watch carefully (like a diving into the water position).

Dislocation of the ankle requires considerable force because of the mechanical efficiency and strength of the associated ligaments. Since ligaments are stronger than the small tails of the tibia and fibula bones where they attach, most ankle dislocations are associated with fractures with the ligament still attached to the broken bone fragment.

Thatís why, with Tateís statement of dislocation without fracture, Iím a little skeptical and waiting even more intensely for the final MRI results.

Holy crap that was a good read...not what I wanted to read but CnD, you can definitly get the message across. Thanks for analisys.

Dread-Head
08-16-2010, 01:31 AM
"Jim Brown played his whole NFL career without ever missing a game and never got hurt. Today there's motherTRuckers gettin' hurt in practice."

The Late Great Richard Pryor

WWJD
08-16-2010, 09:31 AM
At the time, the announcers were saying "knee" and it appeared to me that they were concentrating on that. From the first replays it looked like it was knee, and I was a little surprised when they started talking about his ankle. I'm not sure, but, I thought they had ice on his knee when they were carting him to the dressing room. Not sure about that though.

That's what I heard..that the announcers were talking about his knee. I was just trying to throw out some excuses for the medical staff...why I don't know! :)

Regardless too bad the guy got hurt. Ankle, knee, whichever. I feel bad for him.

badboy
08-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Did not read all the posts as so much to get to today. Sure it is only one pre-season game but RB (which I have been high on) is a joke. Reminds me of the Dline first 3 games last season and I can only hope it is corrected also. Slaton goes to end of bench and the only positive thing I can say is if in a regular game, he should not have been on the field in the red zone. We know he can't produce & should not be in that position. I can say ok the O coordinator allowed Steve one final chance, but if it happens again, especially when it counts, McNair needs to fire someone. Slaton needs to be used in middle of the field. Foster is only one that looked good although Chris was running behind back ups I think. Did not see enough of Foster to say he is the man but what is left? I shudder to think that Smith will be looking for old, injured RBs to bring to camp.

Tate? I heard Kubiak say "He needs to learn how to practice." What? What the hell does that mean? One thing about being out for the year, I guess I can not say this was a total waste of a 2nd round pick, but I sure want to.

Playoffs
08-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Critical wound to playoff chances, imo.

ChampionTexan
08-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Did not read all the posts as so much to get to today. Sure it is only one pre-season game but RB (which I have been high on) is a joke. Reminds me of the Dline first 3 games last season and I can only hope it is corrected also. Slaton goes to end of bench and the only positive thing I can say is if in a regular game, he should not have been on the field in the red zone. We know he can't produce & should not be in that position. I can say ok the O coordinator allowed Steve one final chance, but if it happens again, especially when it counts, McNair needs to fire someone. Slaton needs to be used in middle of the field. Foster is only one that looked good although Chris was running behind back ups I think. Did not see enough of Foster to say he is the man but what is left? I shudder to think that Smith will be looking for old, injured RBs to bring to camp.

I disagree that Foster was the only one that looked good. I thought Jeremiah Johnson looked good also, and while it was only against the Cards 3's, I still felt he looked better than either Henry or Slaton. Plus, he doesn't carry the reputation that Henry does of looking great everywhere but the actual games. With Foster (for better or worse) nailing down the #1 spot, I'd like to see what Johnson can do playing with our 1's and against the Saints and Cowboys 1's.

While the fumble on Slaton's part was horrible, it was in a situation he should never see in a regular season game for the rest of his career. As far as the rest of the performance (The 2.2 ypc average), I didn't see the quicks from his rookie year, but I did see a glimpse of the vision and squirminess that helped him accomplish what he did in '08. I also saw someone coming off of a neck surgery (or spine surgery or whatever bad-ass sounding kind of surgery he came off of), and seeing full speed/full contact action for the first time since that surgery.

I think the next three games will tell a whole bunch about Slaton, and I still think he can be very productive if used properly. It's just that IMO, properly means catching passes out of the backfield, going wide, coming in as a change of pace back, and not plowing up the middle on 3rd and goal from the 1.

WWJD
08-16-2010, 12:30 PM
So basically there were 2 injuries in the game. Tate is out for the year which is a blow to the Texans. High draft choice in an area of need. And on another thread Fitzgerald hurt his knee for the Cards which would be a killing blow to that team if it's a nagging injury. I read it's just a few weeks for him so that's good. He's the best player on that team. That would be devastating to them to lose him for the whole year. I just can't stand preseason.

Texecutioner
08-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Man, this sucks. Tate gone for the season. There should be some reasonable talent out there that could help us in some way though.

For the record I thought Slaton looked great in that game until he fumbled. He was fighting for extra yards really nicely and I liked his vision that he had on quite a few carries. The fumbling thing is just nuts though. All I could do is laugh when I saw that.

Hopefully Foster can be everything that he's been advertised as and Slaton can have a bounce back year.

Tailgate
08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Critical wound to playoff chances, imo.

I am not gonna go that far. Foster has shown some good stuff for us late last year and so far this year. Tate has more upside but he wasnt ready just yet. What this does is kill the depth we sorely needed. We cannot afford another RB to go down.

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2010, 04:36 PM
PFT just report a HOUSTONTEXANS twitter CONFIRMING the Tate is being put on IR.

J_R
08-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Yup, Tate and Tim Bulman placed on IR. Defensive End James Wyche signed.

Dutchrudder
08-16-2010, 04:47 PM
BTW - love your nickname! Funniest part of that movie :)

I was using this name long before Zack and Miri came out. :D

beerlover
08-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Tate? I heard Kubiak say "He needs to learn how to practice." What? What the hell does that mean? One thing about being out for the year, I guess I can not say this was a total waste of a 2nd round pick, but I sure want to.

"Ben is going to go on I.R.," Kubiak said. "Ben is done for the season. He obviously needs surgery. The surgery should be fine; he should be back playing next year. It's a big blow because we were counting on him a great deal. He's a good-looking young player, but he'll be back. He's a good kid. He'll be back."

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ddYEY5XOcIk/SkNMILTHIsI/AAAAAAAAAF4/eCvO8PrUbwg/s320/arnold-schwarzenegger-the-terminator.jpg

badboy - you know who got him?

Darryl Washington

dalemurphy
08-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Yup, Tate and Tim Bulman placed on IR. Defensive End James Wyche signed.

Here it is: Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/)

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2010, 09:04 AM
MRI, indeed, ending up demonstrating not only ligament tears with separation, but also accompanying fracture.

Tate suffers two injuries (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7156266.html)

Second-year running back Ben Tate is undergoing season-ending surgery to repair damage in his ankle and to his fibula. He will be placed on injured reserve.

In the 16-13 loss at Arizona, Tate suffered torn ligaments in his ankle and a fractured fibula ó the bone that runs parallel to the tibia in the lower leg.

"The surgery should be fine; he should be back playing next year," coach Gary Kubiak said. "It's a big blow because we were counting on him a great deal. He's a good-looking young player, but he'll be back.

"You know, I went out on the field with him when he did it. I think we kind of knew it wasn't good just by watching what had happened on the field."

Tate was tackled by rookie linebacker Daryl Washington on a 12-yard run.

"I just told him that I thought a lot of him," Kubiak said. "I know I've been hard on him. I was hard on him because I knew was going to help this team a great deal. And he will again."

The1ApplePie
08-17-2010, 10:40 AM
MRI, indeed, ending up demonstrating not only ligament tears with separation, but also accompanying fracture.

Tate suffers two injuries (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7156266.html)

That sounds alot like Kenny Irons to me

Brisco_County
08-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Now I'd really like to know how that hit caused so much damage. If there's a broken bone too, I don't think this could be attributed to the idea that he's injury prone.

Blake
08-17-2010, 10:46 AM

"Tate suffers two injuries
Second-year running back Ben Tate is undergoing season-ending surgery to repair damage in his ankle and to his fibula. He will be placed on injured reserve."

Really John McClain? 2nd year RB? Not rookie RB? How do you miss something like this?

thunderkyss
08-17-2010, 10:50 AM
That sounds alot like Kenny Irons to me

Don't say Kenny Irons.

Too many similarities.

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Now I'd really like to know how that hit caused so much damage. If there's a broken bone too, I don't think this could be attributed to the idea that he's injury prone.

BC, This should explain it. LINK (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1494965&postcount=184)

Edit: That does not make him injury prone........just an unfortunate twist of events (excuse the pun).

J_R
08-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Really John McClain? 2nd year RB? Not rookie RB? How do you miss something like this?

Also said a 16-13 loss. John fails.

The1ApplePie
08-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Also said a 16-13 loss. John fails.

The Chron hates copy editing, its a known fact.

Take a red pen out one day with the sports page and circle all the typos sometime

J_R
08-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Sorry, that was unknown to me. I don't really read the chron.

eriadoc
08-17-2010, 11:43 AM
So after that slipshod report by McClain, I can assume that Tate is fine, right? I mean, the jackhole doesn't get anything else right ....

Second Honeymoon
08-17-2010, 02:44 PM

I think Kubiak haters already have their mind set... nothing will change their minds until he wins a SB. If we signed a vet like LT, instead of draft Tate, and LT got injured yesterday, then the haters would blast "didn't he learn anything from the Ahman Green fiasco?".

winning a Super Bowl? how about not being embarassed in divisional matchups? how about having his teams play with a little passion and purpose? my lack of trust in Kubiak has more to do with the results, or lack thereof, that he has shown. it has nothing to do with where he is from, or whether he is nice guy, or what school he went to, or whether 'good fans' support their team through thick and thin. screw that garbage.

I want wins. I want consistency. I want some freaking passion...and you know what. The team showed some passion and consistency in that preseason game. I thought the team played well and I thought Kubiak and his coaches coached well. Who cares about the 4th Quarter. Yeah, his clock management still sucks worse than just about anyone, but it was just preseason and both coaches didn't want OT. He gets a mulligan on that.

But just don't come to me and talk about being a good fan or how Kubiak is the coach we need to lead us to the championship. That is just mularkey. Kubiak is what he is. A nice guy who knows how to assemble an offense, knows how to get a job by claiming he thinks Carr is a starter, and someone who has very few of the skills needed to be a good head coach. His game time decisions, his clock management, and his propensity to get outcoached on a weekly basis, even by rookie head coaches, is not a good omen for the future.

you do realize we were one Collins fumble away from going 0-6 in the division last year, right?

Tate's injury was not Kubes fault, but them pooh-poohing the idea of a proven veteran running back IS their fault....and now they and all of us fans have to deal with their mistake.

Hopefully everything works out. The defense looked good. Our offense is good. I just hope his bumbling ways and his lacking critical head coaching skills doesn't come back to bite us in the ass....yet again.

I respect some of yall that are very optimistic and pie-in-the-sky thinkers...but don't criticize me for telling the truth and pointing out obvious failures and obvious problems with our direction.

Maybe the light clicks in Kubiak's head finally...maybe..I don't know...but going into Year 5 is probably a bit late because if it hasn't happened yet who really thinks its going to happen now.

Second Honeymoon
08-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Man, this sucks. Tate gone for the season. There should be some reasonable talent out there that could help us in some way though.

For the record I thought Slaton looked great in that game until he fumbled. He was fighting for extra yards really nicely and I liked his vision that he had on quite a few carries. The fumbling thing is just nuts though. All I could do is laugh when I saw that.

Hopefully Foster can be everything that he's been advertised as and Slaton can have a bounce back year.

he looked tentative on the goal line...per usual. you can't run and then turn your back to the contact. that is total punk ass.

then next play he tries to go for it and promptly fumbles...per usual.

sorry to say it, but slaton kinda sucks. you get what you pay for. i don't care how good of a runner he is. if you fumble, you suck. period.

JB
08-17-2010, 02:48 PM
he looked tentative on the goal line...per usual. you can't run and then turn your back to the contact. that is total punk ass.

then next play he tries to go for it and promptly fumbles...per usual.

sorry to say it, but slaton kinda sucks. you get what you pay for. i don't care how good of a runner he is. if you fumble, you suck. period.

Yep. Adrian Peterson sucks. Thomas Jones sucks. Curtis Martin sucked. Walter Payton sucked. Shall I go on?

Second Honeymoon
08-17-2010, 03:12 PM
So after that slipshod report by McClain, I can assume that Tate is fine, right? I mean, the jackhole doesn't get anything else right ....

that is a genius avatar, eriadoc.

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Yep. Adrian Peterson sucks. Thomas Jones sucks. Curtis Martin sucked. Walter Payton sucked. Shall I go on?

My beloved Earl must've really sucked!! :cry2:

Second Honeymoon
08-17-2010, 03:15 PM

Slaton fumbles too much and that makes him a pretty sucky RB. Is that better? AP fumbles, sure, but he also makes up for it with his quality of play whereas Slaton does not.

Slaton is an average to below average back that has a fumbling problem. AP is an elite back that has a fumbling problem. There is a difference in my eyes...maybe not in yours and that is fine. Different strokes for different folks. In my opinion (and in Gary's) Steve fumbles entirely too much to be counted on and its going to probably cost him his career soon if he doesnt' fix it. Hopefully we can't get someone in here to shoulder the load because logic tells me Foster can't shoulder the rock alone and JJ and Henry are probably not good enough to get the job done.

Please do not compare Slaton with Payton ever again. That is just wrong on so many levels.

and TB, cmon now...that is almost blasphemy :)

Honoring Earl 34
08-17-2010, 03:17 PM
:eek:My beloved Earl must've really sucked!! :cry2:

HJam72
08-17-2010, 03:21 PM
If Slaton would just stop fumbling, he'd be better than Payton! :stirpot:

JB
08-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Slaton fumbles too much and that makes him a pretty sucky RB. Is that better? AP fumbles, sure, but he also makes up for it with his quality of play whereas Slaton does not.

Slaton is an average to below average back that has a fumbling problem. AP is an elite back that has a fumbling problem. There is a difference in my eyes...maybe not in yours and that is fine. Different strokes for different folks. In my opinion (and in Gary's) Steve fumbles entirely too much to be counted on and its going to probably cost him his career soon if he doesnt' fix it. Hopefully we can't get someone in here to shoulder the load because logic tells me Foster can't shoulder the rock alone and JJ and Henry are probably not good enough to get the job done.

Please do not compare Slaton with Payton ever again. That is just wrong on so many levels.

and TB, cmon now...that is almost blasphemy :)

You have to consider that Slaton had one year with outstanding production, and few fumbles. The next year he had lousy production and 7 fumbles, and a severe injury. I am not ready to say he sucks yet, but he is on a shorter leash.

Maybe this year will tell us what we really have.

Texecutioner
08-17-2010, 03:29 PM
You have to consider that Slaton had one year with outstanding production, and few fumbles. The next year he had lousy production and 7 fumbles, and a severe injury. I am not ready to say he sucks yet, but he is on a shorter leash.

Maybe this year will tell us what we really have.

Exactly. I guess I'm in the minority but I liked what I saw on a few places involving Slaton before the fumble. His stats make it look like he had this awful game but he got stuffed a few times where he had nowhere to go.

I think Slaton still has plenty of game left if he can stay healthy and just manage not to fumble like crazy. He may not ever be a great runner in between the tackles, but he's a guy that could be a hell of a 3rd down change of pace back still in my eyes which is what he was drafted to be any way. I think that Slaton will help this team out plenty this year.

NitroGSXR
08-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm just bewildered at the folks who even had slim hopes of Slaton returning to form after neck surgery. NECK SURGERY!?!?

I knew that ball was coming out. Actually, I expected Slaton to be carted off the field sometime this year but it's all the same either way. Slaton needs to stop playing football for the sake of his life.

He promptly shows signs of neck related problems at the goalline and people are STILL hoping that he returns to form?

Lol.

HOU-TEX
08-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Exactly. I guess I'm in the minority but I liked what I saw on a few places involving Slaton before the fumble. His stats make it look like he had this awful game but he got stuffed a few times where he had nowhere to go.

I think Slaton still has plenty of game left if he can stay healthy and just manage not to fumble like crazy. He may not ever be a great runner in between the tackles, but he's a guy that could be a hell of a 3rd down change of pace back still in my eyes which is what he was drafted to be any way. I think that Slaton will help this team out plenty this year.

I thought he and Henry were the two that had the worst games. Henry didn't show much vision while running the ball. Slaton did fight for yardage, but imo, a RB should never turn his back to the defense while attempting to get the extra yards. Not only does he set himself up for injury, but better chances to have the ball knocked loose. He did this at least 3 times.

The fumble was just a poor choice by Slaton all together. He was crazy if he thought he was going to go up and over that pile.

I like Slaton a lot and wish him all the luck this season. We need him, but he can't continue to hurt this team. If he can't fix it this season I don't see much of a future for him.

ChampionTexan
08-17-2010, 03:48 PM
If Slaton would just stop fumbling, he'd be better than Payton! :stirpot:

Agreed - if Slaton would just stop fumbling, he would be a better runningback than either Sean or Gary Payton.

Edit: or Peyton Manning for that matter.

BigBull17
08-17-2010, 04:03 PM

I thought Johnson looked pretty good toting the rock.

Big Lou
08-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Anybody see this in the comicle:

"Tate suffers two injuries
Second-year running back Ben Tate is undergoing season-ending surgery to repair damage in his ankle and to his fibula. He will be placed on injured reserve."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7156266.html

Man Tate must have really learned a lot in camp to be a second year RB. Maybe that's why Kubiak was so tough on him.

The Chron can be pretty pittiful sometimes, looks like they need to hire an editor!!!!!

BigBull17
08-17-2010, 04:09 PM
winning a Super Bowl? how about not being embarassed in divisional matchups? how about having his teams play with a little passion and purpose? my lack of trust in Kubiak has more to do with the results, or lack thereof, that he has shown. it has nothing to do with where he is from, or whether he is nice guy, or what school he went to, or whether 'good fans' support their team through thick and thin. screw that garbage.

I want wins. I want consistency. I want some freaking passion...and you know what. The team showed some passion and consistency in that preseason game. I thought the team played well and I thought Kubiak and his coaches coached well. Who cares about the 4th Quarter. Yeah, his clock management still sucks worse than just about anyone, but it was just preseason and both coaches didn't want OT. He gets a mulligan on that.

But just don't come to me and talk about being a good fan or how Kubiak is the coach we need to lead us to the championship. That is just mularkey. Kubiak is what he is. A nice guy who knows how to assemble an offense, knows how to get a job by claiming he thinks Carr is a starter, and someone who has very few of the skills needed to be a good head coach. His game time decisions, his clock management, and his propensity to get outcoached on a weekly basis, even by rookie head coaches, is not a good omen for the future.

you do realize we were one Collins fumble away from going 0-6 in the division last year, right?

Tate's injury was not Kubes fault, but them pooh-poohing the idea of a proven veteran running back IS their fault....and now they and all of us fans have to deal with their mistake.

Hopefully everything works out. The defense looked good. Our offense is good. I just hope his bumbling ways and his lacking critical head coaching skills doesn't come back to bite us in the ass....yet again.

I respect some of yall that are very optimistic and pie-in-the-sky thinkers...but don't criticize me for telling the truth and pointing out obvious failures and obvious problems with our direction.

Maybe the light clicks in Kubiak's head finally...maybe..I don't know...but going into Year 5 is probably a bit late because if it hasn't happened yet who really thinks its going to happen now.

I agree with a little of what you said, but it looks like he has built a nasty little defense. I was super stoked at what I saw out of the gates. Also, being optimistic isn't 100% different than telling the truth. There is alot to be optimistic about, there is also stuff to worry about. The "truth" is somewhere in between.

P.S, after Ahman Green, there was no way they were signing an older back.

I agree. He had a few plays where you saw his rookie year. Also showed year 2.

NitroGSXR
08-17-2010, 04:10 PM
I thought Johnson looked pretty good toting the rock.

He looked very awkward against third stringers. I do not have much expectations out of Jeremiah Johnson. Just another one of our "stashes" that we expect to pan out. Riiight.

BigBull17
08-17-2010, 04:12 PM
He looked very awkward against third stringers. I do not have much expectations out of Jeremiah Johnson. Just another one of our "stashes" that we expect to pan out. Riiight.

I didn't see any of the awkward. Awkward as in hit holes, saw cut back lanes, and ran hard? That's what I saw. Henry looked more awkward than Johnson.

Corrosion
08-18-2010, 01:30 AM
I didn't see any of the awkward. Awkward as in hit holes, saw cut back lanes, and ran hard? That's what I saw. Henry looked more awkward than Johnson.

I just watched the game again this morning on DVR .... Johnson looked the better of the two imo. Although against the 3rd string defense.

BigBull17
08-18-2010, 09:18 AM
I just watched the game again this morning on DVR .... Johnson looked the better of the two imo. Although against the 3rd string defense.

I don't really think Henry looked bad, but Johnson looked pretty damn good, IMO.

CloakNNNdagger
08-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Tate is in surgery at this very minute.

GP
08-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm just bewildered at the folks who even had slim hopes of Slaton returning to form after neck surgery. NECK SURGERY!?!?

I knew that ball was coming out. Actually, I expected Slaton to be carted off the field sometime this year but it's all the same either way. Slaton needs to stop playing football for the sake of his life.

He promptly shows signs of neck related problems at the goalline and people are STILL hoping that he returns to form?

Lol.

I agree with what you're saying here.

As another side-note: I thought Henry looked erratic, jumpy, jittery, and wasn't in control of his body out there. He looked like a guy who wanted to bust it big once he touched the ball, but didn't understand that a journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step.

If Westbrook manages to stay healthy for the 9ers, it's going to be hard to swallow that pill. However, it does make one wonder if he's truly healthy or saying whatever it takes to get a deal and just play somewhere. Him saying that he thinks the 9ers is a team challenging for a title is laughable, IMO.

drs23
08-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I agree with what you're saying here.

As another side-note: I thought Henry looked erratic, jumpy, jittery, and wasn't in control of his body out there. He looked like a guy who wanted to bust it big once he touched the ball, but didn't understand that a journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step.

If Westbrook manages to stay healthy for the 9ers, it's going to be hard to swallow that pill. However, it does make one wonder if he's truly healthy or saying whatever it takes to get a deal and just play somewhere. Him saying that he thinks the 9ers is a team challenging for a title is laughable, IMO.

I dunno. Heard several of the talking heads championing the 49s to take the NFC West crown. It seems plausible to me. If so, is that not a "title"?

GP
08-18-2010, 10:56 AM
I dunno. Heard several of the talking heads championing the 49s to take the NFC West crown. It seems plausible to me. If so, is that not a "title"?

I would assume, if you're wanting the best chance to get a Super Bowl title, that you'd have 3 or 4 other teams you're interested in.

The Colts would have been a great place for him, IMO. His style suits that offense and you know his pass blocking will help Manning. Plus, he's so dangerous coming out of the backfield as a receiver. He would have been brutal in that offense.

I'm thinking that the 9ers are the only team who was really interested in him enough to sign him. It smells like hype machine, to me. The 9ers needed another body due to Coffee "retiring." Westbrook needed a place to play, but wasn't signed by anybody else.

So that makes me think this was a marriage of convenience and not so much about Westbrook having these grand plans and designs on going to the mighty 49ers. Granted, he's saying all the right things because you have to play the media game, I'm just saying it will be interesting to see if he pans out or if he busts like Ahman Green did here in Houston.

People will say anything to draw that paycheck. They'll say they're healthy. They'll say they think you (the employer) are the best organization on the planet and that they only want to work for the best. Etc., etc.

drs23
08-18-2010, 11:00 AM
I would assume, if you're wanting the best chance to get a Super Bowl title, that you'd have 3 or 4 other teams you're interested in.

The Colts would have been a great place for him, IMO. His style suits that offense and you know his pass blocking will help Manning. Plus, he's so dangerous coming out of the backfield as a receiver. He would have been brutal in that offense.

I'm thinking that the 9ers are the only team who was really interested in him enough to sign him. It smells like hype machine, to me. The 9ers needed another body due to Coffee "retiring." Westbrook needed a place to play, but wasn't signed by anybody else.

So that makes me think this was a marriage of convenience and not so much about Westbrook having these grand plans and designs on going to the mighty 49ers. Granted, he's saying all the right things because you have to play the media game, I'm just saying it will be interesting to see if he pans out or if he busts like Ahman Green did here in Houston.

People will say anything to draw that paycheck. They'll say they're healthy. They'll say they think you (the employer) are the best organization on the planet and that they only want to work for the best. Etc., etc.

Cool, gotcha.