PDA

View Full Version : Game Review Thread

Maddict5
08-14-2010, 10:04 PM
post any overall thoughts on the game here

Ryan
08-14-2010, 10:06 PM
First team dominated both sides...second team dominated both sides. The Cardinals 3rd stringers are better than ours. The Texans aren't giving Rackers much of a fair chance at all to win the kicking job.

That's about all i have to say.

Kimmy
08-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Ugh .... I have no thoughts right now, just lots of cuss words

mariowillshine15
08-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Our linebacker depth is awesome. Diles, Sharpton, and Bing were great.

Our first stringers were dominant as were our 2nd stringers.

Really like Dickerson.

Hope Tate isnt hurt too bad.

Bennett sucks.

WolverineFan
08-14-2010, 10:08 PM
If this had been a real game we would have won by a wide margin. Not happy about the finish but I want to win every game preseason or not.

Out of the rookies, McMannis and Dickerson make the team for sure. Sharpton makes the team and could contribute very early and maybe compete for the SLB job while Cush is out. Graham and Tate make the team. Bad luck about Tate, but I don't think it's serious. Didn't see Shelley Smith so the jury is still out on him.

Fred Bennett and Trindon Holliday will not survive the first cut.

We probably go into the season with 2 QB's. Liked what I saw from Orlovsky.

m5kwatts
The score would have been 42-0 if this was a regular season game.

Relax people, 90% of the players apart of the collapse in this game won't make the team.

Thorn
First team dominated both sides...second team dominated both sides. The Cardinals 3rd stringers are better than ours. The Texans aren't giving Rackers much of a fair chance at all to win the kicking job.

I'm not sure I can come up with a whole lot that is different from that. Well, Jacoby Jones seems to want to play. My heart is broke over Tate.

JB
08-14-2010, 10:09 PM

Would have been nice to see Rackers attempt a long one, but I think Kubes wanted to see how Booty handled the pressure. Now we know. I think Kubiak told him, do not take a sack, do not hold onto the ball. Throw it quick. Hah!

Pantherstang84
08-14-2010, 10:09 PM

I agree and it pisses me off.

Pantherstang84
08-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Tim Melton is an *****.

LikeMike
08-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Kinda feel like last season - great overall game at the beginning. Then the inability to score TDs in the red zone - then Slaton fumbles. And the team finds a way to lose the game. Just a FG miss by Brown was missing ;-).

But on the other hand: 1st team looked great on offense and defense. Second team was still looking really good... but when the 3d string guys came in our offense and defense just fell apart. But since most of those guys will probably not see the field too often, there`s not too much to be worried about.

Overall pretty good game - I´m glad that Sharpton, Nolan and Dickerson looked good. Holliday looked like a guy desperately fighting for a job and doing bad decisions - I didn`t really see Mitchell, but then again I wasn`t really looking for him. And I hope it`s nothing too serious with Tate.

ObsiWan
08-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Disappointed.

Disappointed that we lost.
Disappointed that we didn't put more pts on the board when the 1st & 2nd stringers were in there
Disappointed that Slaton still has fumblitis
Disappointed in both backup QBs
Disappointed in the way Holliday returned kickoffs - or rather DIDN'T return kickoffs

mariowillshine15
08-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Slatons fumbleitis is troubling

WolverineFan
08-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Holliday is a KR that is afraid to return kicks. Which means he will soon be unemployed.

JB
08-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Disappointed.

Disappointed that we lost.
Disappointed that we didn't put more pts on the board when the 1st & 2nd stringers were in there
Disappointed that Slaton still has fumblitis
Disappointed in the way Holliday returned kickoffs - or rather DIDN'T return kickoffs

Mostly this for me. I think he was thinking too much. After the first return, Coach Joe talked to him and after that he was totally ineffective.

Hoping he shows better next week.

utahmark
Ugh .... I have no thoughts right now, just lots of cuss words

why? i thought they looked great.

dinkatoid
a few things I noticed -

- as said earlier, Sharpton looked really good out there. He really impressed me

- Troy Nolan actually made a few good plays, made me feel a lot better about our saftey depth

- Mario Williams seemed like the hip was not bothering him much at all, and he looked good. Nice to see the power move back (plus its always fun to watch Leinart hit the dirt)

- Seemed like Molden made a play or two out there

Did anyone see much of mitchell? I was not paying close attention to him.

ObsiWan
08-14-2010, 10:18 PM
oh and bummed that Tate got hurt
I hope it's not too serious

Big Poundcake
08-14-2010, 10:18 PM
I thought Sharpton looked solid.

I thought Barwin and Mario played well.

Big Poundcake
08-14-2010, 10:19 PM

Yeah, me too.

WolverineFan
08-14-2010, 10:20 PM

Heard it's a high ankle sprain so not too serious.

JB
08-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Heard it's a high ankle sprain so not too serious.

From where?

WolverineFan
08-14-2010, 10:22 PM
Sr610

BorrowMe
08-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Texans look good, I mean REAL good! Ofcourse I'm talking about the starters and 2nd stringers. We're going to be ok for the start of the season. :)

Thorn
08-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Texans look good, I mean REAL good! Ofcourse I'm talking about the starters and 2nd stringers. We're going to be ok for the start of the season. :)

After ONE preseason game, I'm in agreement.

But I'd wait for another preseason game or two before jumping the gun.

JB
08-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Sr610

Thanks!

CloakNNNdagger
08-14-2010, 10:27 PM
My initial post/impression during the game thread was that the injury was ankle rather than knee injury called by the broadcasters.

alphajoker
08-14-2010, 10:27 PM
Nolan is a ballhawk
Cushing (did you see him take the RB to the ground on that busted play of the first defensive series?!)
Okoye was disruptive
Diles made plays
The defense in general - really aggressive and strong.

Dislikes:
Losing
Holliday going half ass on kick returns
Booty taking sack and not allowing chance to measure Rackers in a FG opportunity (game tying chance at that)
Tate being taken off the field on a cart
Slaton fumbling is a concern still

Sucks they lost but very encouraging performance by the 1st team offense and defense.

:fans:

Houston_Fanatic
08-14-2010, 10:34 PM
I thought the first and second teams looked better than I have ever seen them at the beginning of the season.

I feel bad for Tate and hope it isn't too serious.

Holliday looked good on his first KR and then Joe talked to him and he kept running up the middle instead of breaking to the outside where he is dangerous. Makes no sense to me.

Troy Nolan made some good plays, as did Sharpton.

Fred Bennett is history.

Dan O. started out shaky (typical) but I thought he settled down a bit and looked more comfortable. Still made a lot of mistakes so I hope he spends the entire season holding a clipboard. Booty won't make the team unless he improves dramatically over the next 3 games.

Jacoby made Dan O. look good LOL.

Casey made a couple of good clutch catches.

I don't care that we lost - I am happy our 1's and 2's look so good and even a few bright spots on our 3's.

Kubiak winning a challenge made me smile - is that like his 3rd or 4th EVER to win LOL. Maybe it is a good omen for the season.

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I was very happy with this game:

1. I'm not worried about our 1's unless you count Studdard.
2. I'm excited about our LB's. We've got some great depth now with Bentley, Bing, and Sharpton.
3. I think Dorin Dickerson is going to be hard to keep off the field.
4. I think Holliday is a failed experiment.
5. I didn't like what I was seeing from Deljuan Robinson, he totally ran himself out of some plays.
6. It looked like Sheppard and Mitchell played OK but they also got washed out a few times.
7. Dan O has nothing to worry about from JDB.
8. I'm not that worried about Dan O as a backup now. I mean, he's not great, but he could manage OK, I think.
9. Jeremiah Johnson looked better than Chris Henry to me... JJ looked pretty damn good... against the 3's granted.
10. I'm not too worried about our Safety depth any more.
11. Bennett is gone.
12. I almost forgot, Arian Foster is #1 and Slaton may not be #2.

This was only a preseason game but I feel better about the running game than I did after the preseason games last year.

Texan_Bill
08-14-2010, 10:35 PM
So.... 31 pages of the game thread, where no one reads anyone else's posts, we're gonna try to break it down here? Cool!

Our 1's and 2's looked fine. Our 3's had their moments. When it came down to 3's and 4's.... Well, we sucked ass.

thunderkyss
08-14-2010, 10:36 PM
After ONE preseason game, I'm in agreement.

But I'd wait for another preseason game or two before jumping the gun.

Even then, we're talking about a Warner-less offense, and the Bucaneers. The team won't really be tested, until we play Dallas. Not that Dallas will be playing like it's a regular season game or anything, but it will be a real offense, and a real defense to watch our guys play.

Maddict5
08-14-2010, 10:37 PM
First unit O

looked very sharp overall.

-schaub was surgical. aj & walter had some nice catches
-arian had the nice 20 yd run. just great blocking by the whole left side and fb and arian had a nice burst
-kasey had a nice block on that run but he was the only guy i noticed getting beat with any regularly
-awesome blocking on the td throw. schaub had all day

First unit D

again looked very good overall.
-the DE's, and especialy mario, were beating their tackles fairly consistently and got a couple sacks. all of leinarts completions had to be pretty quick passes
-the DT's didnt really stand out that much but were stout against the run. mitchell had a couple plays with them
-the LB's were very solid as always
-the secondary looked pretty good too. lots of nice hits by wilson, pollard & quin. no deep passes. molden did well as the 3rd cb also

other thoughts:

-not really that confident in Dan but he was pretty solid tonight overall. left a couple plays out there esp that one he threw out the EZ when he had gotten all kinds of time.
-booty is awful
-slaton looked like 08 steve apart from the fumble :( tate had that one nice run on the play he got injured. hope its not too serious. JJ ran well & henry played good overall good in pass pro and ST and ran hard. the last play was ugly for henry but there wasnt much he could do as he wouldve had to cut across bootys dropback which he had to do eventually. on ST he made a tackle or two also
-wr's across the board were impressive. dickerson, jacoby, anderson and even bobbie williams all made nice grabs
-i noticed studddard getting beat by iwabama when he played with the second string also (not a great sign) and white made an awful read helping the G block a guy who was already taken care of while two players shot thru the middle of the line to the rb. apart from that nothing stood out which is good i guess
-jamison is the only d-lineman who stood out later in the game. noticed okam getting moved by double teams a couple times
-Bing: played well on all units. had one dodgy play (got stiff armed by beanie but somebody else cleaned it up). his closing speed is exciting and used it to make a couple standout plays. based on tonight, i wouldnt be upset id he was WILL on opening day while diles flips over for 4 games
-all the LB's were solid. bentley and sharpton had nice plays too.
-bennett looked petey-esque on the PI but came back and played the 2 pt conversion very well. the second big play was on williams as they def looked in zone and he was late making it over. sherrick mcmanis was impressive tonight also
-troy nolan continues to excite. i could see that kid was a player since i first saw his draft highlights and hes def the heir apparent for the FS spot. may even challenge for it without an injury.
-first return by holliday got me pumped but after that he was pretty bad
-nothing really happened with the kickers as all the FG's were gimmies (although i prob shouldnt say that after last yr). wouldve been nice to see rackers get a chance to tie from around 50 at the end (his stat of 19/39 from 50+ all time made my mouth a little dry). its clear we lose around 5 yds on rackers kickoffs

valleytexfan
08-14-2010, 10:42 PM
First unit O

looked very sharp overall.

-schaub was surgical. aj & walter had some nice catches
-arian had the nice 20 yd run. just great blocking by the whole left side and fb and arian had a nice burst
-kasey had a nice block on that run but he was the only guy i noticed getting beat with any regularly
-awesome blocking on the td throw. schaub had all day

First unit D

again looked very good overall.
-the DE's, and especialy mario, were beating their tackles fairly consistently and got a couple sacks. all of leinarts completions had to be pretty quick passes
-the DT's didnt really stand out that much but were stout against the run. mitchell had a couple plays with them
-the LB's were very solid as always
-the secondary looked pretty good too. lots of nice hits by wilson, pollard & quin. no deep passes. molden did well as the 3rd cb also

other thoughts:

-not really that confident in Dan but he was pretty solid tonight overall. left a couple plays out there esp that one he threw out the EZ when he had gotten all kinds of time.
-booty is awful
-slaton looked like 08 steve apart from the fumble :( tate had that one nice run on the play he got injured. hope its not too serious. JJ ran well & henry played good overall good in pass pro and ST and ran hard. the last play was ugly for henry but there wasnt much he could do as he wouldve had to cut across bootys dropback which he had to do eventually. on ST he made a tackle or two also
-wr's across the board were impressive. dickerson, jacoby, anderson and even bobbie williams all made nice grabs
-i noticed studddard getting beat by iwabama when he played with the second string also (not a great sign) and white made an awful read helping the G block a guy who was already taken care of while two players shot thru the middle of the line to the rb. apart from that nothing stood out which is good i guess
-jamison is the only d-lineman who stood out later in the game. noticed okam getting moved by double teams a couple times
-Bing: played well on all units. had one dodgy play (got stiff armed by beanie but somebody else cleaned it up). his closing speed is exciting and used it to make a couple standout plays. based on tonight, i wouldnt be upset id he was WILL on opening day while diles flips over for 4 games
-all the LB's were solid. bentley and sharpton had nice plays too.
-bennett looked petey-esque on the PI but came back and played the 2 pt conversion very well. the second big play was on williams as they def looked in zone and he was late making it over. sherrick mcmanis was impressive tonight also
-troy nolan continues to excite. i could see that kid was a player since i first saw his draft highlights and hes def the heir apparent for the FS spot. may even challenge for it without an injury.
-first return by holliday got me pumped but after that he was pretty bad
-nothing really happened with the kickers as all the FG's were gimmies (although i prob shouldnt say that after last yr). wouldve been nice to see rackers get a chance to tie from around 50 at the end (his stat of 19/39 from 50+ all time made my mouth a little dry). its clear we lose around 5 yds on rackers kickoffs

:bravo:

Tedc
08-14-2010, 10:42 PM
I think our starters looked great other than Kubiak at the end.

WTF?!

CloakNNNdagger
08-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Bob Allen reported that the team orthopod came out after looking at Tate's x-rays looking very disappointed.

If he looks disappointed at looking at just a preliminary gross plain x-ray without even having seen an MRI, then it means there has to be at least evidence of a diastasis (significant separation) of the bones (due to complete tear of the supporting ankle ligaments), which most likely point to surgery being recommended. But we need the complete findings, which haven't been released. They will probably perform the MRI tomorrow or later tonight.

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Bob Allen reported that the team orthopod came out after looking at Tate's x-rays looking very disappointed.

If he looks disappointed at looking at just a preliminary gross plain x-ray without even having seen an MRI, then it means there has to be at least evidence of a diastasis (significant separation) of the bones (due to complete tear of the supporting ankle ligaments), which most likely point to surgery being recommended. But we need the complete findings, which haven't been released. They will probably perform the MRI tomorrow or later tonight.

You are always just a li'l ray of sunshine.

Houston_Fanatic
08-14-2010, 10:48 PM
And one more thing.....

They need to BURN that reverse play with Jacoby - it never works.

JB
08-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Even then, we're talking about a Warner-less offense, and the Bucaneers. The team won't really be tested, until we play Dallas. Not that Dallas will be playing like it's a regular season game or anything, but it will be a real offense, and a real defense to watch our guys play.

We play the Saints week 2. You know, the defending World Champs? I think that will be a pretty good test on both sides of the ball. We play the Bucs the 4th preseason game at Reliant.

Lucky
08-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Fred Bennett and Trindon Holliday will not survive the first cut.

Mostly this for me. I think he was thinking too much. After the first return, Coach Joe talked to him and after that he was totally ineffective.

Hoping he shows better next week.
Bingo. Holliday had a very good return to begin the game, Marciano talks to him on the sideline, motioning toward the middle, and Holliday runs up the middle to nowhere the rest of the game. Returning is about instinct. Let the guy trust his instincts and don't try to over coach.

I'm glad Kubiak has learned his lesson in regards to running plays at the end of the game, sans timeouts. :gun:The Texans almost blew a chance at Kris Brown's last second miss in Indy, last year. Keep up the good work, Gary.

mariowillshine15
08-14-2010, 10:50 PM
More running in the redzone.

Especially with Dan O he did alot of play action and either nobody was open or he couldnt read the defense.

The run game was working they should have run it more.

Texan_Bill
08-14-2010, 10:51 PM

Thank you Dr. Jean "Cheery"!

Hervoyel
08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
I thought the first and second team (offense and defense) looked pretty good. Get out there, knock some rust off, and get into a rhythm and everything's fine. There were no real surprises with that group. Picking right up where they left off.

The end result of the game I could care less about. As has already been pointed out there were a lot of guys out there at the end of the game who aren't going to be here in 3-4 weeks. No big deal.

On individuals I think the following.

Special Teams

Holiday seemed to be a little overwhelmed. I thought his first return he didn't think much, just took off and did well. After that he seemed to be almost shell-shocked by the speed of the game at this level. That was just my impression from watching the broadcast. He might have eaten a bad peanut or something for all I know. He did seem out of sorts though.

The kicking battle needed one more round. I'd have really liked to have seen Rackers try that long game tying FG but it didn't happen so maybe next week.

Offense

I'm worried about our backup QB situation. I just really don't like Orlovsky. To me he looks awkward and "unnatural" I know the circumstances in which I've seen him haven't been optimal but he reminds of Carr in the way he seems to rush his throws when he doesn't need to or hang on to the ball too long when he has little time or doesn't see what he must (I assume) expect to see. I've seen enough of Orlovsky. Rosenfels, who I wasn't much of a fan of looked light-years better after one training camp here. Booty looks like a camp arm not a prospect to me. I dunno, maybe if you give him more to work with he'd be better. I wonder if we're going to see him get to come in second next week or something like that? If Orlovsky ends up being beaten out for the #2 spot by Grossman and then Booty I think his contract was a waste of money.

The RB situation was interesting. Foster looked franchise to me just like he did at the end of last season but he had 4 carries so what does that really mean? It was a good sign. Slaton looked like he was trying too hard and he made mistakes that were consistent with that. Sometimes I think in the aftermath of his 2009 season we forget how he made so many of his yards in 2008. Running him up the middle is kind of a waste of time and it was that way back before he started fumbling. That little dump off pass he took for 21 yards was what he needed to be doing most of the night. Instead he was trying to be the feature back we probably already have and had a bad night. I hope Tate isn't too badly injured because between him and Foster they pretty much got the workhorse position covered. Chris Henry I have always heard looked like Tarzan, ran like Jane and I don't think that's right. I think he runs just like Tarzan but with blinders on. He's like an old Dodge Charger. He's pretty fast and powerful but he doesn't turn so good so his impact is going to be limited I suspect. Jeremiah Johnson looked pretty good. It would be funny if our feature backs ended up being the two UDFA's we signed a year ago. If Tate is out for any real length of time (like "IR") then I want to see Johnson stick. He's like having another Steve Slaton around (but without the fumbles... so far).

WR/TE is so deep on this team it's sick. AJ, Walter, and Anderson are right where they were last year so no need to discuss them. I think Dickerson might be special. Jacoby Jones has become the player I didn't think he would ever manage to be. Andre Davis doesn't make this team. I thought Casey looked really good. He's on his way towards becoming Owen Daniels II, Garrett Graham is a season behind him (OD3?). We're deep.

The center of that offensive line is pretty ugly past the starters (and they're not all that but they at least get the job done). I'd say depth there isn't quite where we are at the skill positions (excluding QB where we are "one deep" as far as I'm concerned).

Defense

All of our starters looked "right" and I was happy with pretty much everything I saw. Outside of Mario though no sacks (as usual). Some pressure was present though. I thought we were a lot closer to seeing somebody else get to the QB than we usually are.

I think Sharpton might end up being a real find. The guy is all over the place and that's usually a really good sign. Pretty much always around the ball is good. Bing was impressive too. Bentley did good but it seems like to me that his instincts are what keep him from being starter quality. He's seems to have instincts that are closer to Morlon Greenwood or Jay Foreman than DeMeco, Cushing, or Diles. Solid backup but it seems like Bing and Sharpton are guys I'd rather have backing up my LB's than Bentley. Special teams being what they are though we probably end up keeping him. I thought Molden showed up which was nice and what do you know? We have more than two safeties. Nolan was hard to ignore.

I really can't stop thinking of how much I don't like the play of Dan Orlovsky though. Is anyone still at home waiting on a phone call that we could ring up? I really would prefer an old veteran to Dan-O and Booty-Time.

SheTexan
08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Not worried, just yet! Lotta Texans gonna get pink slips pretty soon, and from what I saw from the 3rd stringers, much deserved. It's always hard to lose a game, preseason or not, but, comforting to know it doesn't mean sheeeeeet!!

Based on what I saw tonight, Boody gets pink slip #1!!

Not sure how I feel about Holliday, maybe NFL gitters tonight. BUT, most likely a bad draft pick. I reallly hate that cause I like pulling for the underdog!

For those who said the "TEXANS" didn't give Rackers a chance, didn't read the numerous post, articles, NOR listen to the radio or TV commentary, that said he and KB would be ROTATING kicks with KB starting. Thats how it came down. The kicker job will be up for grabs throughout the preseason. JMO on that.

Starters looked GOOD, and exciting!! Can't wait to see them last an entire game though. Sorry about Tate, but, glad noone else got hurt.

I LIKE Sharpton! I bet big Uncle is proud!

Hate we lost, but, I won't lose sleep over it, like I did a few times last season! Preseason is just what it is, preseason!! A time to weed out the wannabe's!!

BullNation4Life
08-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Nolan and Bing should be starters on Defense. They were flying all over the field...

Maddict5
08-14-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm glad Kubiak has learned his lesson in regards to running plays at the end of the game, sans timeouts. :gun:The Texans almost blew a chance at Kris Brown's last second miss in Indy, last year. Keep up the good work, Gary.

but they didnt. so it was perfect execution and judgement as they have done on many occasions (i want to say at the end of the first half v SF & maybe the rams last yr too) so whats your point?

do you rly think what happened tonite happens if schaub and the offence are in there?

CloakNNNdagger
08-14-2010, 10:58 PM
You are always just a li'l ray of sunshine.

Thank you Dr. Jean "Cheery"!

I could have stated that accompanying fractures are commonly not detected on early x-rays, but if present will be detected by MRI.:roast:

Lucky
08-14-2010, 10:58 PM
For those who said the "TEXANS" didn't give Rackers a chance, didn't read the numerous post, articles, NOR listen to the radio or TV commentary, that said he and KB would be ROTATING kicks with KB starting. Thats how it came down. The kicker job will be up for grabs throughout the preseason. JMO on that.
You're absolutely correct that Brown and Rackers are to rotate attempts. But, I think the reason fans are saying Rackers didn't get a chance is due to the unnecessary play run at the end of the game, that resulted in a sack. Rackers should have been given the chance to make that kick.

Thorn
08-14-2010, 10:59 PM
Hate we lost, but, I won't lose sleep over it, like I did a few times last season! Preseason is just what it is, preseason!! A time to weed out the wannabe's!!

GMa speaks the truth. Let the lessor players go, and keep the good ones. It's why we play these preseason games.

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2010, 11:01 PM
I could have stated that accompanying fractures are commonly not detected on early x-rays, but if present will be detected by MRI.:roast:

It can be fixed by rubbing it with chicken bones then taking a shot of rum ... right .

TexanBacker93
08-14-2010, 11:02 PM

Don't we play the Saints next week? That should test us.

Lucky
08-14-2010, 11:03 PM
do you rly think what happened tonite happens if schaub and the offence are in there?
I don't know what to think or what Kubiak was thinking. The competition for kicker is perhaps the most important job left to be determined. This was a great opportunity to test Rackers on a pressure kick. If he makes it, perhaps Brown gets an opportunity for a game winner, later. I don't really care how you spin it, it was a big, fat fail.

Houston_Fanatic
08-14-2010, 11:03 PM
I really can't stop thinking of how much I don't like the play of Dan Orlovsky though. Is anyone still at home waiting on a phone call that we could ring up? I really would prefer an old veteran to Dan-O and Booty-Time.

I don't disagree. I would rather have an old vet than Dan O as our backup. I thought he did better after he played a bit but he strikes me as too dumb to play the position. May not be a fair assessment, but that is my impression.

CloakNNNdagger
08-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Bingo. Holliday had a very good return to begin the game, Marciano talks to him on the sideline, motioning toward the middle, and Holliday runs up the middle to nowhere the rest of the game. Returning is about instinct. Let the guy trust his instincts and don't try to over coach.

This same observation of what appeared to be micromanagement especially bothered me a great deal too. Just like what seemed to be a philosphy of Marciano's in the past to have the kicker kick short of the end zone, anticipating aggressive inside the 20 stops..........something that has not worked out very well.

BullNation4Life
08-14-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't know what to think or what Kubiak was thinking. The competition for kicker is perhaps the most important job left to be determined. This was a great opportunity to test Rackers on a pressure kick. If he makes it, perhaps Brown gets an opportunity for a game winner, later. I don't really care how you spin it, it was a big, fat fail.

Wow, overreact much? If you are worrying about wins and losses in pre-season, need to pull the stick out and relax....

J_R
08-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Kubiak:

Nolan, Sharpton, Barwin, Jacoby stood out

Dan O solid. Can improve in some areas

Outcomes are important. We wanted to win. We know why we didnt.

Time to go compete against world champs next week.

Thorn
08-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't disagree. I would rather have an old vet than Dan O as our backup.

DanO is not that great, but at this point in the season, getting someone better is not easy. He really didn't look THAT bad, at least not as bad as Booty.

Not that I dont wish we still rosencopter. Orlansky did OK, and he's probably better than about half of all the other backup QBs in the league. I don't think we are that bad off with him, and I don't see anything changing to replace him. If he was really that good, he'd be starting for someone anyways. backups are backups for a reason.

edo783
08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
I don't disagree. I would rather have an old vet than Dan O as our backup. I thought he did better after he played a bit but he strikes me as too dumb to play the position. May not be a fair assessment, but that is my impression.

I to would be more comfortable with a vet player, but who???

J_R
08-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Wow, overreact much? If you are worrying about wins and losses in pre-season, need to pull the stick out and relax....

I dont necessarily care about the W/L, but I gotta disagree. You have an ongoing kicking competition. Most talk about how you cant gage a kicking competition in practice as there is no game time or real time pressure. Tonight, there was that. You had a chance to send one of your kickers out and see how he responds in a game-tying situation. Instead, you go for it. OTOH, who wants to go to OT in preseason.

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2010, 11:10 PM

It was supposed to be a double move by the wr . They were going for the win . Why ... first game I guess he didn't want to get anybody else hurt in OT .

dinkatoid
08-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Outside of Mario though no sacks (as usual).

I think Barwin should be given a little credit though. He may not have had a real sack, but he caused that horrid throw that got intercepted cause he was all over the QB.

Lucky
08-14-2010, 11:15 PM
Not this.
I dont necessarily care about the W/L, but I gotta disagree. You have an ongoing kicking competition. Most talk about how you cant gage a kicking competition in practice as there is no game time or real time pressure. Tonight, there was that. You had a chance to send one of your kickers out and see how he responds in a game-tying situation.
This.
It was supposed to be a double move by the wr . They were going for the win . Why ... first game I guess he didn't want to get anybody else hurt in OT .
Who was going to get hurt on a FG attempt?

Hervoyel
08-14-2010, 11:16 PM
I think Barwin should be given a little credit though. He may not have had a real sack, but he caused that horrid throw that got intercepted cause he was all over the QB.

Oh yeah, there was pressure (as I said) and it was nice to see it. Barwin is getting there. It would be nice to add Schobel to the mix though.

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Not this.

This.

Who was going to get hurt on a FG attempt?

If he makes it their tied .

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2010, 11:19 PM

Well ... just watching Stefon Johnson ( guy who dropped weights on his throat ) brake his leg , I guess we're fortunate .

dalemurphy
08-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Here are our early thoughts at Texans Bull Blog:

Overall, I am exceedingly pleased with the team’s performance. The defense, with few exceptions, looked very good. The offense, with a few more issues, also looked good. Here’s a first glance rundown of what we noticed. We will follow this up tomorrow with a more indepth DVR study of the game and some special attention paid to postgame quotes/comments.

The Good:

1. Mario Williams- looked healthy and active. 2 sacks, including an impressive bull-rush on a 3-man rush is very reassuring.

2. DTs- looked very good with one exception (clears throat, OKAM). I thought Mitchell and Sheppard showed a little sloppiness as rookies playing in their first game. However, they both were very active, able to penetrate, and seemed solid at the point of attack. VERY ENCOURAGING!… Amobi Okoye looked pretty good as well. He was able to penetrate a few times, helping create a pass as well as a pass defensed. He also appeared strong at the point of attack despite his off-season weight loss.

3. Arian Foster… WOW! He looked amazing. Quick, powerful, decisive. Clearly he is our starting RB. CONTINUE READING (http://www.texansbullblog.com/postgame-commentary-arizona-game/news/)

Lucky
08-14-2010, 11:22 PM
If he makes it their tied .
And? If the Texans wanted to end the game so badly to avoid injuries, why not just take a knee on the final drive and head to the locker room?

digitalswim
08-14-2010, 11:22 PM
McClain says on Twitter Ben Tate broke his ankle and is done for the season. Will know for sure on Sunday he said.

http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/21203384756

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2010, 11:23 PM
And? If the Texans wanted to end the game so badly to avoid injuries, why not just take a knee on the final drive and head to the locker room?

Ask Kubiak .

Hervoyel
08-14-2010, 11:25 PM
McClain says on Twitter Ben Tate broke his ankle and is done for the season. Will know for sure on Sunday he said.

I think we're now looking at Foster, Slaton, Henry, and Johnson. Still deep, but not quite where we hoped to be. Very unfortunate situation and I feel bad for the young man.

NitroGSXR
08-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Would have been nice to see Rackers attempt a long one, but I think Kubes wanted to see how Booty handled the pressure. Now we know. I think Kubiak told him, do not take a sack, do not hold onto the ball. Throw it quick. Hah!

No. I know EXACTLY what he said. Camera was right on them. Professional lipreader here...

You have to throw it out of bounds.

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2010, 11:29 PM
I think we're now looking at Foster, Slaton, Henry, and Johnson. Still deep, but not quite where we hoped to be. Very unfortunate situation and I feel bad for the young man.

I think Johnson is a player with good vision , and quickness . I think that's what Henry lacks is vision , Slaton lacks stick um .

newtexan
08-14-2010, 11:31 PM
I agree about MITCHELL and SHEPPARD, nothing really impressive but i think they did ok being the first game, i see them getting better now that this first game is out the way, now they truly have a better grasp of the speed of the game, I hope the Texans find a spot for SHEPPARD in this rotation, he and MITCHELL could be a special tandem.

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2010, 11:31 PM
No. I know EXACTLY what he said. Camera was right on them. Professional lipreader here...

You have to throw it out of bounds.

Booty reminded me of another QB who would have took that sack .

NitroGSXR
08-14-2010, 11:34 PM
You're absolutely correct that Brown and Rackers are to rotate attempts. But, I think the reason fans are saying Rackers didn't get a chance is due to the unnecessary play run at the end of the game, that resulted in a sack. Rackers should have been given the chance to make that kick.

Absolutely not. We do not want to go into overtime during preseason. I felt it was the right call.

Houston_Fanatic
08-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Well......why didn't they put Booty in the shotgun then? I wish they would have kicked it but since they didn't, they needed to give him a chance or take a knee.

BorrowMe
08-14-2010, 11:42 PM
If this was 5 years ago and I said, "I still think we'll do good in the running game even with out (Insert good running back)" You'd call me crazy and I'd would look like a dumbass, but not this year. This year is different. This year we have the most talent at running back of all time and I feel confident that we'll do good in the running game.

NitroGSXR
08-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Booty reminded me of another QB who would have took that sack .

Funny... I thought Leinart reminded me of Carr more than anybody else with those rinky dink passes he kept dumping off. I mean.... look at the stat line and don't tell me you don't think of David Carrbage?

1 fumble.
2 sacks.
A gorgeous completion rate at 6/7 finishing with a 7 yard per pass average with a long of 16 yards.

All that in about a total of 7 minutes of play which included 8 clock eating running plays.

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Funny... I thought Leinart reminded me of Carr more than anybody else with those rinky dink passes he kept dumping off. I mean.... look at the stat line and don't tell me you don't think of David Carrbage?

1 fumble.
2 sacks.
A gorgeous completion rate at 6/7 finishing with a 7 yard per pass average with a long of 16 yards.

All that in about a total of 7 minutes of play which included 8 clock eating running plays.

That last guy for the Cardinals who picked on Bennett , threw the ball well .

NitroGSXR
08-14-2010, 11:53 PM

Well sure! Anybody throwing at Bennett WILL do well. He is our Jason David.

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Well sure! Anybody throwing at Bennett WILL do well. He is our Jason David.

His days are numbered .

The Pencil Neck
08-15-2010, 12:21 AM

Although he was playing with/against the 3's, if I were a Cardinal fan, I'd be calling for Skelton to get a look-see. That's a kid that's pushing for some playing time.

HouSportsWriter
08-15-2010, 12:21 AM
Schaub looked great! The deep pass was a great way to end the day for Schaub and A.J! Arian Foster looked like he is ready for the season to begin as he ran very well. Mario gave pressure on every down and so did the rest of the line. The O - line did a great job seeing that schaub did not get sacked.The saftys i think did a steller job. Bernard Pollard first hit i think may of been one of his best of his carrer! Troy Nolan and wilson did a great job. Nolan with the pick off and wilson with the tackle that fliped Larry Fitz.Connor Barwin was doing ok he could of got a sack ,but the qb got the ball off. Jacoby Jones did a great job! I think he can be a solid number 2 wide out. Trindon Holliday has to step up or he risks being cut. Fred Bennett got screwed because of the flag ,but he did stop the 2 point conversion.i can see him being cut.

Texans will do beter next week!

powerfuldragon
08-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Schaub looked great! The deep pass was a great way to end the day for Schaub and A.J! Arian Foster looked like he is ready for the season to begin as he ran very well. Mario gave pressure on every down and so did the rest of the line. The O - line did a great job seeing that schaub did not get sacked. the saftys i think did a steller job. Bernard Pollard first hit i think may of been one of his best of his carrer! Troy Nolan and wilson did a great job. Nolan with the pick off and wilson with the tackle that fliped Larry Fitz.Connor Barwin was doing ok he could of got a sack ,but the qb got the ball off. Jacoby Jones did a great job i think he can be a solid number 2 wide out. Trindon Holliday has to step up or he risks being cut. Fred Bennett got screwed because of the flag but he did stop the 2 point conversion.i can see him cut.

Texans will do beter next week!
all of a sudden your misspellings seem forced. OoOoOoOo.:tinfoil:

HouSportsWriter
08-15-2010, 12:26 AM
all of a sudden your misspellings seem forced. OoOoOoOo.:tinfoil:

Sorry im tired ill bring out the book *dictionary or how ever you spell it.* tomarow and fix it.

zanth91
08-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Here's a writeup/summary of the game.

http://torotimes.com/...-texans-at-cardinals/ (http://bit.ly/doV7UU)

powerfuldragon
08-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Sorry im tired ill bring out the book *dictionary or how ever you spell it.* tomarow and fix it.

cough.

nevermind.

Brisco_County
08-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Orlovsky has an incredible throwing arm, but I think his problem is that he's a slow learner. Coaching and studying don't give him faster reads. He needs reps and a lot of experience. If he ever had to take over for Schaub, it would probably be about three games before he started looking decent.

He also needs to take several months of acting classes before his play action fake is nearly as convincing as Schaub's.

Foster is solid. He deserves that spot.

Studdard didn't look very good.

Our starting D line collapsed the pocket on almost every play. I was already thrilled, but then I watched Mario manhandle his blocker by pure strength and sack Leinart. Manning's going to hate playing us.

Pollard did what he does: Prevent an RB with an open field from gaining substantial yards. Hightower was running through a gaping hole and Pollard shot in and stopped him cold. If we end up as a top 5 run-stopping defense, it's because of him.

Heads up play by Nolan, but that was a team effort. Their experience showed. That's what gives me the most confidence about this team.

And I love the LB penetration into the backfield on so many plays. We demolished their O-line at times. I can't wait for the Colts.

Allstar
08-15-2010, 12:43 AM
How about our 7th round picks! Diles, Nolan and Dickerson proving that even the last round of the draft matters.

NitroGSXR
08-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Orlovsky has an incredible throwing arm, but I think his problem is that he's a slow learner. Coaching and studying don't give him faster reads. He needs reps and a lot of experience. If he ever had to take over for Schaub, it would probably be about three games before he started looking decent.

He also needs to take several months of acting classes before his play action fake is nearly as convincing as Schaub's.

Foster is solid. He deserves that spot.

Studdard didn't look very good.

Our starting D line collapsed the pocket on almost every play. I was already thrilled, but then I watched Mario manhandle his blocker by pure strength and sack Leinart. Manning's going to hate playing us.

Pollard did what he does: Prevent an RB with an open field from gaining substantial yards. Hightower was running through a gaping hole and Pollard shot in and stopped him cold. If we end up as a top 5 run-stopping defense, it's because of him.

Heads up play by Nolan, but that was a team effort. Their experience showed. That's what gives me the most confidence about this team.

And I love the LB penetration into the backfield on so many plays. We demolished their O-line at times. I can't wait for the Colts.
You were a no-show at Pluckers.

*shakes head*

Arky
08-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Actually, I think Kubes wanted to give Rackers the shot at the FG - but just a bit closer. With 10 seconds left, time for a sideline pass, dump to a back that heads for the sideline, etc... Then, send Rackers in for maybe a little more makeable kick.

Not sure who was at fault on the O-line but I saw B Helms and S Smith in the middle totally whiffing. I need to check again to verify. But after the loss of 5 or 6 or whatever it was on the sack, the FG was near impossible and the clock ran out. I think there was no time outs left anyway.... Booty just didn't get rid of it - he got swarmed ... And then again, I don't think anyone likes OT in a pre-season game..

GNTLEWOLF
08-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Actually, I think Kubes wanted to give Rackers the shot at the FG - but just a bit closer. With 10 seconds left, time for a sideline pass, dump to a back that heads for the sideline, etc... Then, send Rackers in for maybe a little more makeable kick.

Not sure who was at fault on the O-line but I saw B Helms and S Smith in the middle totally whiffing. I need to check again to verify. But after the loss of 5 or 6 or whatever it was on the sack, the FG was near impossible and the clock ran out. I think there was no time outs left anyway.... Booty just didn't get rid of it - he got swarmed ... And then again, I don't think anyone likes OT in a pre-season game..

I know I'm gonna get burned on this ,but, I read blitz all the way on that last play. The coaching staff had to know that this was coming and there should have been an audible built in. maybe a run away from the blitz or a quick screen. The blitz should have been accounted for though. I know that time was short and we had to get to the sideline, but everyone in that Stadium knew the Cards were going to blitz.
As for the game in general, taking into account it was just preseason and it was just the cardinals, I was very pleased with the first and second team. Bennett has got to go. And i am disappointed Ben Tate is injured. I hope it gets better from here. Go Texans

Jackie Chiles
08-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Adibi is going to have his work cut out for him fending off Darnell Bing. X could go from being the projected starter for Cushing's suspension to not making the final cut. Maybe they can find a way to keep them both but if not its going to be a tough call.

Dickerson looked way more natural than I thought he would this early. His speed and athleticism really jump out and he just looks like a WR. Shedding that weight was a good move for his career.

Holliday was disappointing. I assumed he was going to make the roster no doubt and have been skeptical hearing about how tough it is going to be for him to make this team. Looks like its the truth but I don't think its going to save Andre Davis. Just put Jacoby back there on returns and pray he doesn't fumble a game away on a punt return. Holliday is going to have to do something special in the next three games.

Speaking of Jacoby, he was Orlovsky and the 2nd unit's go to guy and seemed to relish it. Less reverses and more passes please.

I think we are going to see quite a bit of James Casey in 2 TE sets. A part of me wants to see more 2 TE sets in general but our 3 WR set is going to be explosive. I wonder if Vonta Leach could see his snaps reduced this year.

Really bad news with the Ben Tate injury but I assumed as much when it happened, I just figured it was a kneecap/ACL injury. Its too bad but I still think we are going to be a really solid running team. Foster looks legit, Slaton looked ok before the fumble and Jeremiah Johnson looked natural and a bit more explosive than I thought he would. I know people are down on Steve right now but he is still capable of turning it around on the ground and regardless, he is going to be an asset on 3rd downs.

I focused on Earl Mitchell a few times and he definitely flashed. One of his first few snaps he had a hesitation move which caused the O-lineman to lunge at him and he got by him very quick. He came as close as you can come to a sack on a real nice spin move. Also saw him get some solid penetration on a few running plays.

Fred Bennett...... don't let the door hit ya.

Troy Nolan was reacting very well as the ball was thrown. Plays physical as well. I could see him becoming the safety equivalent of Zach Diles. Late round guy that just keeps surpassing expectations. Dom Barber didn't stick out to me but I feel pretty comfortable with those two as our backups.

Antonio Smith is quick as a cat. He is going to make a huge impact this season. On Mario's first sack (more on that later) Smith was standing up and pretty much met Mario at the QB (on a three man rush no less).

Mario. I felt like that kid in Peter Pan when he squeezes and twists Robin Williams face until finally exclaiming "Oh, there you are Peter!" There you are Mario, nice to see what you can do with two good arms again. Haven't looked through the gamethread but did anyone else notice one of the line-judges/first down guys obviously talking to his buddy about how impressive that play was? Great stuff. Brandon Keith, the unfortunate RT was quoted after the game: "I don't care what anybody says, there ain't nothing wrong with his hip," Keith said.

Barwin had some flashes similar to last year's preseason. I would still feel much more comfortable with the pass rush if we grabbed Schobel. Not saying Barwin can't be an impact guy but i'd rather bet on more of a sure thing. This season is just too important.

Okam is gone. He is going to get another chance or two with some team that thinks it can turn him into the monster he should be. Oh well, not going to lose much sleep over it.

Not a Texan (well, he kinda is actually) but Skelton looked really impressive. Poised with a big arm. Don't see too many third string QBs with that kind of talent. See Booty.

On the subject of QBs, Orlovsky looked improved from last season but it would have been a tall task to look any worse. I'm just not that worried about it though, I have a lot of trust in Matt taking less hits and just being in total command of the offense. I can see him taking 20 sacks or less this year.

Overall I can't remember ever being this impressed in a preseason game with the guys that are going to play significant roles. They need to keep up the intensity during practice and during the next three PS games and carry it over all year long.

TheRealJoker
08-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Dan Orlovsky - Looks like Schaub, plays like Carr.

eriadoc
08-15-2010, 01:56 AM
A couple things ruined the game for me. First, the obvious one - Tate's injury. I was already a little miffed that he hadn't asserted himself more in TC, and now he's finished for the year. If he carries the same work ethic into rehab .... well, call me concerned.

Second, Slatons' fumble was the one point in the entire game where I stood up and screamed at the TV. I just can't take it anymore. He's a butterfingered scatback. He shouldn't be used on goal line runs anydamnway, but if he's going to continue last season's trend of coughing up the ball that easily, then he shouldn't be used for ANYTHING. EVER.

Sort of related to the Slaton fumble - I'm just left with a feeling of deja vu, where the offense just moves the ball all over the field and yet the team scores one or maybe two TDs in a game and then a bunch of FGs (unless KB is off that year). I mean, how many games do we seem to score 23 points? 2TDs and 3FGs seems to be the norm (just perception, I know). It's just preseason, and the starters weren't out there too long, so it's fine, but I just have that nagging, "I'm a Texans fan and have been here before" feeling. The bombs to AJ are always great, but give the man some help getting into the EZ.

On the positive side, I really like what I saw from the defense. Mario's play was encouraging, given the injury reports. Pollard was just Pollard, which is enough to make any fan giddy. Barwin did a couple good things. The LBs as a unit looked good. Nolan impressed me (well, except for his perfect illustration of why he plays defense, when the INT hit him between the 3 and the 3 and he dropped it, LOL). On offense, Foster looked pretty good, I thought. Jeremiah Johnson was a little off and on, but I liked what I saw, on balance. Walter looking like he might be back to '08 form? Jacoby Jones looked pretty good, I thought. Dickerson looks like he has plans to be in games past August.

So there was plenty to be encouraged about, but a couple things are nagging at me.

keyser
08-15-2010, 02:21 AM
I'm just left with a feeling of deja vu

I was about to write a longer post, but yours summed up my thoughts almost exactly. The part that bugs me is that deja vu feeling. The offense not managing to quite put things together, especially in the red zone. Stupid mistakes (Slaton's fumble) costing the team big. Looking to be in good shape at first, but then finding a way to make the game close, and then losing, at the end.

I know that most of the problems were with the 3rd string players, but I worry that those more vague, overall, attitude/momentum issues are the type of thing that the team needs to get over in order to have a successful season, and the team didn't show improvement in those areas tonight.

sakebomb
08-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Why is everyone upset about not kicking the FG and Booty taking the sack? I agree it would have been nice to see Brown/Rackers under some pressure but no way they were going to go into OT during the preseason. Of course they attempt the FG in the regular season. They would have even kicked it if it were at the end of the half.

Everyone at my house last night even called the sack before the last play. The OL just "ole'd" it and that was it. No biggie.

Lucky
08-15-2010, 07:20 AM
I agree it would have been nice to see Brown/Rackers under some pressure but no way they were going to go into OT during the preseason.
So you're saying that Kubiak planned to fail?

What does Gary have to say (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6281) about that?

Rackers, who played with the Cardinals from 2003-09 before leaving as a free agent, was booed by the Arizona crowd before his second-quarter attempt. He would have had a chance for a game-tying 51-yard field goal in the closing seconds had John David Bootyhttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6281#) not been sacked to end the game.

"I would have liked to have seen the last one there," Kubiak said. "Neil was up. He was going to be the guy to kick it. I wish we would have had a shot of getting that done, but it didn't happen."

nytexan
08-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Agreed with most posters but I'll add the 1st team defense looked scary good. Wilson and Nolan both looked good and teamed with Pollard there's hope the Safety position is now as solid as its ever been.

Mario, Smith, Cushing and Pollard were all as advertised. WOW, I realize they didn't play much but when they did they were nothing short of dominating. If this holds up, the defense may have just come into their own and actually be better than the offense.

Except for Slaton's fumble at the goal line, the runningbacks all looked ok. Henry may have been the only one I looked for more out of by all the reports coming out of practice. 1 run doesn't give a full picture but Tate EXPLODED thru the line on that carry he was hurt on. Foster or no Foster, he would have taken over as the #1 back if he kept that up. I've never seen a Texan just explode thru the line like that before.

An overall "A" for the game except for the possible exception of the 4th quarter defense but even then the first TD was a referee gift with 2 major penalties on the 3rd down roughing the passer call and to be fair the fanthom call on Bennett. That was not interference although I think he's gone also.

The OL played well as a hole and I thought Butler did a nice job when he was in there also. Andre looked Andreish and that TD just cemented that he'll never see single coverage again this year. I thought Jacoby played well and he seemed to relish the go to role. You can also see the confidence just oozing out of Schaub. Please keep that boy healthy.

Although I would have liked to see Rackers get a chance on that late kick the fact of the matter was the coaching staff wanted no part of a possible OT and I don't blame them. First preseason game nightmare if that happens.
I'm guessing the coaching staff will make that call from practice and are not going to judge them much from the preseason unless one of them implodes.

nytexan
08-15-2010, 07:39 AM
So you're saying that Kubiak planned to fail?

What does Gary have to say (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6281) about that?

Although I really do understand your disappointment, did you really think Kubiak was going to say anything else?? Actions speak volumes over those words.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 07:50 AM

It was supposed to be a double move by the wr . They were going for the win .

Can someone please explain to me why this is a fail on Kubiak? If there is 10 seconds to go (or 8) and you have time for one more play, why wouldn't you take that one more play? Especially in this case, you're going for the win, if that go route isn't there, throw it away, get your kicker on the field.

That was Kubiak's plan, take the go route (Touchdown), or throw it away. How are we going to blame Kubiak because the third string RB and the third string QB choked & got sacked?

Looks like some people are just going to pile everything on Kubiak no matter what, and it's just ridiculous. It's insane really.

Why wasn't our third string as ready as their third string, that's a more relevant criticism than "why did he tell Booty to take a sack?"

Freak'n insane.

:slapfight:

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Mario gave pressure on every down and so did the rest of the line.

This is what we'll have, if we can get an upgrade over Bullman, Schobel maybe??

If Mario knows he's only going to be out there for 12 snaps, he can do this every game, he can look like this every time he steps on the field.

To me, this isn't the same as taking plays-off, or not playing 100% all the time. That's not what I'm saying here. But Mario plays way to many snaps, Antonio Smith takes way too many snaps. We need someone like Barwin who can produce, so they can get a good rotation (something we don't have). Strahan rotated, Tuck Rotated, Freeney, Mathis, Brock rotated.

m5kwatts
08-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, Frank Bush. He's made this HIS defense. I couldn't tell we had a young secondary full of late round draft picks until the 3rd stringers came in late in the 3rd quarter. Our supposed "weak" secondary held a shutout for 2/3 of that game. And we didn't even have our 1st round corner playing.

The highlight of the game for me was the exotic defensive packages the 2nd string was showing out there. If thats what they're doing in preseason I can't imagine everything they have planned for the season. They'd played Barwin for multiple snaps at every position in the front seven except middle linebacker. He's going to become a piece of the defense that you can't replace with anyone else.

The 3-4 look we gave was a pure 3-4 formation. I was stunned to see it because we've never walked out an actual 3-4 base formation before, usually the 4th LB is a DB and we only ran this on 3rd and longs in obvious pass plays. This 3-4 look came on 2nd and short. And it was a run that they stopped for no gain. This was the 3-4 look:

RDE Mitchell
NT Okam
LDE Nading
ROLB Barwin
MLB Bentley
MLB Bing
LOLB Sharpton

I was surprised at how well it worked. Its your guess as to who they would plug in if the 1's ever ran the look. Of course they might have been doing it on purpose so they don't give away any of their 4-3 plans.

nytexan
08-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, Frank Bush. He's made this HIS defense. I couldn't tell we had a young secondary full of late round draft picks until the 3rd stringers came in late in the 3rd quarter. Our supposed "weak" secondary held a shutout for 2/3 of that game. And we didn't even have our 1st round corner playing.

The highlight of the game for me was the exotic defensive packages the 2nd string was showing out there. If thats what they're doing in preseason I can't imagine everything they have planned for the season. They'd played Barwin for multiple snaps at every position in the front seven except middle linebacker. He's going to become a piece of the defense that you can't replace with anyone else.

The 3-4 look we gave was a pure 3-4 formation. I was stunned to see it because we've never walked out an actual 3-4 base formation before, usually the 4th LB is a DB and we only ran this on 3rd and longs in obvious pass plays. This 3-4 look came on 2nd and short. And it was a run that they stopped for no gain. This was the 3-4 look:

RDE Mitchell
NT Okam
LDE Nading
ROLB Barwin
MLB Bentley
MLB Bing
LOLB Sharpton

I was surprised at how well it worked. Its your guess as to who they would plug in if the 1's ever ran the look. Of course they might have been doing it on purpose so they don't give away any of their 4-3 plans.

Actually I saw that also but at the time I thought Barwin was just dropping into coverage as opposed to it being a classic 3-4. I'll have to take another look at that on the DVR.

Lucky
08-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Although I really do understand your disappointment, did you really think Kubiak was going to say anything else?? Actions speak volumes over those words.
So you're saying Kubiak is lying?

Can someone please explain to me why this is a fail on Kubiak? If there is 10 seconds to go (or 8) and you have time for one more play, why wouldn't you take that one more play?
It's freakin' insane to criticize Kubiak for anything, according to some on this board. But, let me explain (in excruciating detail) why the Texans should not have run the last play.

Question: Who cares who won the game?
Answer: Nobody, aside from the fools who bet preseason games. So why is going for the win with a go route a big deal?

Question: What can be learned from 3rd stringers that won't make the roster going against other 3rd stringers?
Answer: Other than determining your practice squad, not a thing.

Question: What can be learned from having Rackers attempt a game tieing FG from 51 yards?
Answer: It would have helped determine who will be your kicker in the 2010 season.

Question: What about possible injuries from a preseason game that extends into overtime?
Answer: Injuries to 3rd & 4th teamers? That's who would have been on the field. Some of these guys will go on IR before the cut date, anyway.

Question: But didn't the Texans have "the perfect call" (according to Kubiak) against the Arizona blitz?
Answer: The "perfect call" would have been lining up for the FG. If a play was to be run, a better call would have been running the play out of the shotgun. The likelihood of the play being a success was very low. I'm not sure JDB has the arm to get that ball into the end zone, anyway. Not in the time left on the clock. A completion and tackle in bounds ends the game. An offensive penalty ends the game. And as we saw, a sack ends the game. And the Texans learn nothing.

Question: Why would anyone question a coaching decision made in a preseason game?
Answer: If preseason games are meaningless, why show up at all? The final score is meaningless, but there are plenty of things a team can learn about itself that are meaningful. Such as, who will be the place kicker once the real games start. And it's not as if the head coach hasn't had the same brain freeze in a regular season game.

The preseason is about getting ready for the real season. Where it can be seen if the players and coaches have improved over the previous season. I can see that the players have improved. That's undeniable. The coaches? Well, there's always next week.

Wolf
08-15-2010, 08:37 AM
well for shits and giggles

in his career

Neil is hitting only 48.7% over 50 yards
40-49 he is 74.3%
(http://www.nfl.com/players/neilrackers/careerstats?id=RAC540222)

and didn't attempt any 50+ yarder last season and was 1-2 the year before

I can't blame Kubiak for trying to squeeze a few more yards closer

Lucky
08-15-2010, 08:47 AM
and didn't attempt any 50+ yarder last season and was 1-2 the year before

I can't blame Kubiak for trying to squeeze a few more yards closer
If Rackers comes up short and no longer has the leg for 50+, that's learned that from a game that doesn't count. That's the type of information than can be factored into the final decision of who will be the kicker.

nytexan
08-15-2010, 08:53 AM
So you're saying Kubiak is lying?

No, but it's typical coach speak.
I took that play to be nothing more than Kubiak wanting to see what the players would do in that situation as being more important than the kick. You may disagree but in that situation in that game does it really matter.

Lucky
08-15-2010, 09:10 AM
You may disagree but in that situation in that game does it really matter.
Does any of this really matter? Kubiak setup this kicking competition. It may be the only starting job in question (though Studdard's play should put his spot in jeopardy). I'm hearing that this is meaningless from some of the same fans (not you) who wanted to blame missing the 2009 playoffs on the kicker. So I ask them, is the kicker important? Or not?

kiwitexansfan
08-15-2010, 09:21 AM
To be honest the most important and impressive thing for me out of that game is how aggressive and enthusiastic the defense was in running to the ball and laying the wood on the ball carrier.

Never seen that intensity and passion from a Texans defense.

Lucky
08-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Never seen that intensity and passion from a Texans defense.
We didn't see that in many of the early games last season. The difference?

Bernard Pollard.

rmartin65
08-15-2010, 09:32 AM
I have not seen the game yet (had a hockey game last night), so I am going off reading the threads.

It is way too early to say rookies are going to get the axe. It is their first taste of NFL action, of course there is going to be an adjustment period.

Also, it is too early to say who will be a stud or not. It is one, pre-season game.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 09:37 AM
It's freakin' insane to criticize Kubiak for anything, according to some on this board.

It's insane to get so worked up after a preseason game.

Question: What can be learned from 3rd stringers that won't make the roster going against other 3rd stringers?
Answer: Other than determining your practice squad, not a thing.

It might be nice to know if it's even worth it to keep Booty on the PS, or if it's time to move on. It might be the same for the guy he was throwing the ball to. Everyone of those guys are being evaluated to determine their future with this team.

Question: What can be learned from having Rackers attempt a game tieing FG from 51 yards?
Answer: It would have helped determine who will be your kicker in the 2010 season.

IMHO this "competition" is a farce anyway. They can both be 100% in the preseason, and miss every important kick in the regular season. Kubiak more than likely has his mind made up.

Another point, this wasn't an either or situation. Kubiak thought he was going to be able to do both. Maybe he thinks Booty doesn't have a future on this team, and couldn't have pulled that play off regardless. Maybe he wanted to be surprised by the kid. Maybe he wanted to verify the kid would make the right decision and throw it away. Who knows?

Question: What about possible injuries from a preseason game that extends into overtime?
Answer: Injuries to 3rd & 4th teamers? That's who would have been on the field. Some of these guys will go on IR before the cut date, anyway.

I'm with you on this one. These guys may never play another game again, might as well get as much film on them while you can.

Question: But didn't the Texans have "the perfect call" (according to Kubiak) against the Arizona blitz?
Answer: The "perfect call" would have been lining up for the FG. If a play was to be run, a better call would have been running the play out of the shotgun. The likelihood of the play being a success was very low.

Whatever you say coach.

I guess it would have been insane to think we could pick up a blitz. I suppose it wouldn't make sense that this was another opportunity to see how Booty handled a blitz.

If the only think Kubiak and his staff needs to do between now and Week 1 is decide on who will be our kicker for 2010, I can understand your point of view.

But if that was the case, I would think we wouldn't even run an offense out there in the 4th Qtr. We'd just send the kickers out there where ever the return team put us, and call it a day.

Question: Why would anyone question a coaching decision made in a preseason game?
Answer: If preseason games are meaningless, why show up at all? The final score is meaningless, but there are plenty of things a team can learn about itself that are meaningful.

My point exactly.

The preseason is about getting ready for the real season. Where it can be seen if the players and coaches have improved over the previous season. I can see that the players have improved. That's undeniable. The coaches? Well, there's always next week.

So if the coaches haven't improved is it time for the owner to make a change? Is it time for the fans to move on? What are you talking about, this isn't time to evaluate the coach.

Winning is not the main goal for the preseason. Evaluating your players, getting film to study (your own players), and getting through healthy. Those are the goals. Kubiak didn't get to evaluate the freak'n kicker on the last play of the game. Boo-hoo. He did get to see what the guys on the OL did (was there a TE up there?). He did get to see what his QB did, he did get to see what his RB did, he did get to see what his WRs did.

Is any of that important now? Well I don't know. We lost a RB for the season, do we look to bring someone in, or do we go with someone already on the roster.

Will any of this be important in the future? Maybe... everybody wanted Kubiak to draft a safety last year, but for some reason, Kubiak thought he already had a safety. Do you think some 4th Qtr performance (in last year's preseason) by a guy who probably wouldn't have mad the team might have had something to do with that decision?

practice.. we ain't even talking about a real game.. we talk'n about practice.

Lucky
08-15-2010, 09:42 AM
It's insane to get so worked up after a preseason game.
As usual, you're getting a little "worked up" when Kubiak is critiqued.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 09:46 AM
As usual, you're getting a little "worked up" when Kubiak is critiqued.

Never denied my love for the man.

Number19
08-15-2010, 09:54 AM

Hoping he shows better next week.Glad someone pointed this out. He gains 30 yards on his first run, getting to the outside. After that, no initiative, just tries to punch it up the middle. Seems to me this may have been more a coaches call, or instructions. Maybe they wanted to work on blocking, or something. But there sure wasn't anything up the middle. Was this Holliday's fault? If you're a rookie, fighting for a job, and the coaches tell you to do something, you do it. Right?

Yankee_In_TX
08-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Starters looked awesome on BOTH sides.

-was REALLY upset w/ Salton's goal line fumble (night mares of last year)
-Orlovsky is a train wreck, here's to Schaub's health
-stinks about Ben Tate BUT at least it is a deep position
-no idea what's happening with kicker
-some of our young secondary talent looks GOOD - Sharpton and Nolan had a heck of a showing

We left when the 4th quarter started - not a clue what happened but don't care.

Number19
08-15-2010, 10:13 AM
You're absolutely correct that Brown and Rackers are to rotate attempts. But, I think the reason fans are saying Rackers didn't get a chance is due to the unnecessary play run at the end of the game, that resulted in a sack. Rackers should have been given the chance to make that kick.They were beyond his range.

They had time for one more quick out; the blocking in the middle totally collapsed. A veteran QB would have had the instincts and presence of mind to have grounded the ball, but Booty is still learning the game. What I saw was the previous plays to get us into position at that point. This was a good series for him up to that final sack.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Glad someone pointed this out. He gains 30 yards on his first run, getting to the outside. After that, no initiative, just tries to punch it up the middle. Seems to me this may have been more a coaches call, or instructions. Maybe they wanted to work on blocking, or something. But there sure wasn't anything up the middle. Was this Holliday's fault? If you're a rookie, fighting for a job, and the coaches tell you to do something, you do it. Right?

He might have been telling him to press the middle longer, then make his cut. I understand that might have been a decent game, but maybe the coach is thinking if he would have started up the middle, like he was supposed to he could have had 6...

Coach Joe knows what he is doing.

Lucky
08-15-2010, 10:19 AM
They were beyond his range.
I saw Rackers make two FGs from further out in a training camp practice. He may now be over the injury that once limited his range.

Coach Joe knows what he is doing.
We get it, the coaches are infallible.

Number19
08-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I saw Rackers make two FGs from further out in a training camp practice. He may now be over the injury that once limited his range...After posting my comment I kept reading and came to your comment at #107 - good reasoning. But I'm also concerned about the backup QB. Had Booty pulled off that final pass attempt, knowing the blitz was coming, it would have been a remarkable drive for the young signal caller. As it was, it was still pretty good.

Lucky
08-15-2010, 10:45 AM
As it was, it was still pretty good.
JDB did his job and got the team in FG range. It was Kubiak that asked him to do too much. To be John Elway. He's just John David Booty.

JB
08-15-2010, 10:55 AM
JDB did his job and got the team in FG range. It was Kubiak that asked him to do too much. To be John Elway. He's just John David Booty.

While I would have liked to see Rackers attempt the field goal, a NFL caliber qb should be able to get a play off with 10 seconds remaining and still have time to attempt the field goal.

On the other hand, OT in a preseason game, the 1st, in which you had already lost one player for a significent amount of time, is not something you would wish for.

TheRealJoker
08-15-2010, 11:12 AM
While I would have liked to see Rackers attempt the field goal, a NFL caliber qb should be able to get a play off with 10 seconds remaining and still have time to attempt the field goal.

On the other hand, OT in a preseason game, the 1st, in which you had already lost one player for a significent amount of time, is not something you would wish for.

I agree with the bolded portion. I thought GK was going to take a shot downfield to end the game outright rather than attempt a FG and force overtime in an exhibition game.

drs23
08-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I agree with the bolded portion. I thought GK was going to take a shot downfield to end the game outright rather than attempt a FG and force overtime in an exhibition game.

Quote: Texans coach Gary Kubiak

(on if he had considered a 50-yard field goal on the last play) "Yeah, we did. But you know what, we were taking us out to win the game. We were fixing to throw a go route. We got the perfect defense. They blitzed us and we were going to have a chance and take a shot at winning the game. If not, kick the field goal. But we didn't get the ball off. That's just poor execution and that can't happen to you."

This. I don't agree that the decisions GK made were flawed. Take a shot on a go route for the win. If not time left for a 51 yd field goal attempt. The 3s & 4s didn't pick up the blitz. Game over.

b0ng
08-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Ahhhh pre-season game, time for some pre-season arguing over coaching decisions. I'm not sure what the real point is to getting upset that Rackers didn't get another chance to kick. Both kickers did look fine with their respected attempts. I'm sure we'll see more out of them in the upcoming games.

I actually thought Slaton looked decent enough. Yes the fumble at the goal line was pretty outrageous as he hit the line all wrong, but his running with the 2's that got the Texans from one end to the field to the other was fairly strong. The Ben Tate injury sucks really really badly, but at the same time I'm not nearly as worried about Foster/Slaton as I was before the game started. I'm not proclaiming the running game to be "fixed", but I don't think it's going to be a 30th ranked rushing attack again. Not by how it looked in this game. Dickerson looked pretty studly too, which was very nice and James Casey looks like he really stepped up his receiving game. The one part of the offense that bothered me was Caldwell/Studdard. Studdard can have some great run blocking on one play and then completely blown up on another. I hate that kind of inconsistency. Caldwell wasn't as glaring but I seem to remember a few plays where he ended up in our own backfield as well.

The defense looked pretty good. Cody actually looked like a decent player with the other first teamers, and I liked what Barwin was giving us. Okam didn't look like he offered much, and I really thought that Mitchell and Sheppard looked like rookies. Our LB's look pretty fantastic up and down the depth chart (Especially Sharpton), and our secondary doesn't appear as though it'll be a huge millstone around our necks this year like most have thought it would.

Seriously though, the armchair coaches around here are pretty laughable for what is a preseason game. I guess some of you guys are just getting any hope of Kubiak doing what you want him to do out of the way early this year.

JB
08-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Nice write up bong! I did not notice Caldwell, which I thought was a good thing. White looked horrible at C. I thought they ran way too many stunts with Okam. He his just not quick enough to try to run around someone. Bing also stepped up and had a pretty good game.

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 11:47 AM
I dont necessarily care about the W/L, but I gotta disagree. You have an ongoing kicking competition. Most talk about how you cant gage a kicking competition in practice as there is no game time or real time pressure. Tonight, there was that. You had a chance to send one of your kickers out and see how he responds in a game-tying situation. Instead, you go for it. OTOH, who wants to go to OT in preseason.

Exactly why Kubiak goes for it. They got 3 more games to decide the kicking game and Dallas will be the measuring stick...

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Ahhhh pre-season game, time for some pre-season arguing over coaching decisions. I'm not sure what the real point is to getting upset that Rackers didn't get another chance to kick. Both kickers did look fine with their respected attempts. I'm sure we'll see more out of them in the upcoming games.

I actually thought Slaton looked decent enough. Yes the fumble at the goal line was pretty outrageous as he hit the line all wrong, but his running with the 2's that got the Texans from one end to the field to the other was fairly strong. The Ben Tate injury sucks really really badly, but at the same time I'm not nearly as worried about Foster/Slaton as I was before the game started. I'm not proclaiming the running game to be "fixed", but I don't think it's going to be a 30th ranked rushing attack again. Not by how it looked in this game. Dickerson looked pretty studly too, which was very nice and James Casey looks like he really stepped up his receiving game. The one part of the offense that bothered me was Caldwell/Studdard. Studdard can have some great run blocking on one play and then completely blown up on another. I hate that kind of inconsistency. Caldwell wasn't as glaring but I seem to remember a few plays where he ended up in our own backfield as well.

The defense looked pretty good. Cody actually looked like a decent player with the other first teamers, and I liked what Barwin was giving us. Okam didn't look like he offered much, and I really thought that Mitchell and Sheppard looked like rookies. Our LB's look pretty fantastic up and down the depth chart (Especially Sharpton), and our secondary doesn't appear as though it'll be a huge millstone around our necks this year like most have thought it would.

Seriously though, the armchair coaches around here are pretty laughable for what is a preseason game. I guess some of you guys are just getting any hope of Kubiak doing what you want him to do out of the way early this year.

I think Bing and Sharpton will be fighting for a starting position before year is out. Both were flying all over the field. Nolan looked like he belonged as well....

BullNation4Life
08-15-2010, 11:51 AM

You do not go for a game tying FG in pre-season. Period! Nobody wants to go into overtime in the pre-season, why BECASUE IT's PRE-SEASON......

The Pencil Neck
08-15-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm not going to get into the debate about this but personally, I'm in the "no one wants a 1st preseason game OT".

Normally, Kubes is too conservative for me with his clock management. He doesn't run the clock down far enough for me when he's going to kick and he doesn't seem to force plays in when he could take the chance. Him taking a shot at a go-route to win the game instead of going for a game-tying field goal is not something he usually would do.

So, to me, his intention was never to tie the game. He wanted to give the 3rd stringers an opportunity to win the game. They didn't step up. Now he's got some game tape of them screwing up that he can use to teach them with.

I've got no problem with that. It's a preseason game. And like I said, it's nothing he would have done in a regular season game. That's not his MO.

False Start
08-15-2010, 12:07 PM
I thought they ran way too many stunts with Okam. He his just not quick enough to try to run around someone.

Hes not quick enough to run around anything. I bet he could around The Great Wall of China if there where donuts involved. :bat:

GP
08-15-2010, 01:15 PM
OFFENSE:
1. Pass protection looked spectacular. They each held their spot and uniformly absorbed the pass rush, closing gaps and giving Schaub all the time he needed to look for receivers.
2. Foster looked good. So did Tate, until the injury. You just knew the way he was writhing on the ground that it was going to be bad. In the first few seconds of his agony, I was hoping he had been hit in the helmet by a defender's knee. When we squirmed side-to-side, rolling around, I knew it was a joint injury.
3. I think Jeremiah Johnson is OK. Chris Henry looks sketchy to me.
4. Schaub-to-AJ is once again lethal for opposing defenses.
5. I did not like the reverse to JJ on first down near the red zone. Once again, a cute call that took too long to develop (it was telegraphed so badly) and lost four yards. Dumb.
6. If things continue, Kris Brown will win the kicking job. Let's face it, now that he has competition driving him each day he's actually focusing on the job again. And I don't see this owner, GM, and coach cutting him if he makes all his kicks out there in preseason.

DEFENSE:
1. Holy cow. Frank Bush and David Gibbs have been dynamite. The mindset out there on the field is night-and-day since Richard Smith left the team. There is a swagger--the sort of swagger Richard Smith said he was going to create, by the way--and it all has to do with players acquired and the leadership of the newer staff members.
2. Mario Williams should play 10-12 snaps each regular season game if it means getting two sacks. He absolutely jacked up the right guard, and did it by using his HANDS AND HIS STRENGTH, not just the outside edge move. Once he got the guard off-balance, he then used his quickness around the edge to close the distance and sack the QB in one fluid motion. Beautiful.
3. Cushing is going to be just fine! He read the play and shot the gap with perfect timing, crushing the running back.
4. The secondary is finally decent again. Pollard read the running play, and I think McCain held the WR and shoved him around in such a way that it forced Hightower back into the funnel where Pollard then wrapped it up. It was as if McCain and Pollard were in-sync out there and knew what the other was doing throughout the course of that play--That sort of synergy is worth its weight in gold. Both guys did their jobs and did them well. No funny business, nobody acting on their own and Lone Ranger'ing it out there. Team work!

SPECIAL TEAMS:
1. OK, the first kickoff return looked very good.
2. The rest were less than stellar. I felt Trin was not positioning himself properly out there. Then again, I think the Cardinals' punter was ranked as the best in the NFL with punts landed inside the 20--Sometimes, a guy is just THAT good at what he does. Hard to overcome that sort of skill sometimes.

TV COMMENTATORS:
1. Goldberg should stick to talking UFC. I was underwhelmed by his effort.
2. The other guy, who did color commentary, was perhaps THE worst color guy in the history of color. Period. Every single bad play by the Cards was turned into gold by the guy. I was just laughing and even getting into the whole deal at one point: OK, let's see how he spins THIS play! LOL. It just wore me out. It was like a complete, total hack job. It was putrid, asinine Public Relations stuff. I kept wondering if I was on video, a part of some prank show where a guy comes out and says "HA! You were pranked! That wasn't the REAL commentary on the game. Did we get you? Ha ha ha!"

-------------------------

AMOBI:
1. Once again, he's getting double-teamed.
2. Couldn't really tell much else.

MARIO:
1. Dude should only be played for 10 snaps every game. 2 sacks.

JAMES CASEY:
1. Had a very nice block on a running play
2. Made an Owen Daniels type of catch out there. Looked solid.

DARNELL BING:
1. Speedy guy, almost sacked their QB on a naked boot
2. But seemed, to me, like he was getting owned at the end of the game by the other teams' 3rd stringers. How many times do you get burned on the same pass play? They were throwing the ball to the same place (at Bing) all the time there at the end. He and Bentley were just getting targeted on the same freaking pass play over and over.

JACOBY JONES:
1. He's going to be good if he keeps it up. Seriously good. Scary good.

DAVID ANDERSON:
1. Why was he out there at the end of the game? To help sustain the 3rd stringers, or because Jacoby has pushed him down the depth chart?
2. He didn't get a very fair chance because every ball thrown his way was thrown by one of our QBs who was hurried and threw a bad pass at him.

BARWIN:
1. Finally, it seems a defensive line coach is teaching our guys that you can use the spin move ONLY if you set it up properly. Barwin stutter-stepped to the inside, in just that immediate split-second when the ball is snapped, and it caused the LG to lean inward to get his base under him...and then Barwin spins (without leaning on the guy, which a veteran LG would just let Barwin fall down at that point) and he gets to the QB and essentially disrupts the whole play by the QB.
2. He was dropping back into coverage A LOT. A LOT. One time, he covered the running back who had flared out and would have been the safety valve on that play, but Barwin was there to cover him and the QB was denied a chance to advance the ball.

SHARPTON:
1. Thick dude. I liked his overall attack out there. I think he's going to be the guy in the first four games while Cushing is serving his time.

TROY NOLAN:
1. OK, the guy bobbled his interception and got it off a deflection. I can see why we might not want to get all over his jock strap just yet. But the fact remains: He caught the ball, when in the past we've had issues with secondary players coming down with the ball in that situation.
2. He was influencing plays out there.
3. I think he was the guy (or was it Eugene Wilson) who flipped Fitzgerald in the first part of the game?

------------------

I didn't like the Cardinals 3rd stringers blitzing every play. It was obvious that the coaches were embarrassed, and that they knew they better try to win the game. I know all is fair on love and war and football, but it reeked of trying to save face out there. I am glad we're not in that position anymore: Trying to get the fans in the stadium off our backs because our 1's looked so awful.

On an apples-to-apples comparison, we stomped them. And I'm not being a homer here. We did. It was obvious. With Leinart as QB, they are going to be atrocious. He looked lost and scared. Indecisive. And outside of Fitzgerald, their WRs are 2nd stringers parading as 1st stringers, which is BAD NEWS when you don't have Kurt Warner to make things better for them.

The QB roughing call on Jamison was bogus. I saw not one thing that showed a Texans player hitting him in the head. It was laughable. A true gift.

Instead of Orlovsky going for it on 4th and 1, I wish we had just trotted out Rackers for a longer attempt. But I understand the need to see if we can get that one yard on 4th down. That's valuable experience for a similar future situation we'll be in.

Outside of the Tate injury, the game was about the best I have seen the Texans look on game one during camp. We were focused and ready on both sides of the ball, and the Cardinals were not. Found it interesting that Leinart took his offensive line to Hawaii (IIRC, from the photo the commentator hacks were showing on TV). The guys in that photo all looked like as if the staff from the Office had been forced to go an a vacation with Michael Scott, to build team chemistry. LOL. I think the Cardinals' offense is in real trouble.

"Look at Dan Williams. All butt. He's a dumpster truck with legs." I mean, that color commentary guy was atrocious. Not even debatable. It was like he was in a TV Commentator Simulator at Commentator Camp, and the instructors were all going :facepalm: as he went down in flames.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm not going to get into the debate about this but personally, I'm in the "no one wants a 1st preseason game OT".

Normally, Kubes is too conservative for me with his clock management. He doesn't run the clock down far enough for me when he's going to kick and he doesn't seem to force plays in when he could take the chance. Him taking a shot at a go-route to win the game instead of going for a game-tying field goal is not something he usually would do.

So, to me, his intention was never to tie the game. He wanted to give the 3rd stringers an opportunity to win the game. They didn't step up. Now he's got some game tape of them screwing up that he can use to teach them with.

I've got no problem with that. It's a preseason game. And like I said, it's nothing he would have done in a regular season game. That's not his MO.

Put me in this camp too. I'm sure during the course of three more P/S games, there will be other opportunities to see what the kickers can do. And as someone said in another thread, the kickers can go without any misses in preseason and still cost you a crucial game in the regular season.

See the 1998 Minnesota Vikings: Gary Anderson went 35 for 35 during the season and then missed a 38-yarder that would have put them in the Super Bowl.

Brisco_County
08-15-2010, 01:30 PM
You were a no-show at Pluckers.

*shakes head*

I was there, but I was sitting at the bar. Another guy who read the forum post drove in from Bastrop. Maybe it was your party we heard clapping on the other side of the restaurant.

Lucky
08-15-2010, 02:52 PM
You do not go for a game tying FG in pre-season. Period!
Period & Exclamation Point heard loud & clear there, Chief.

"Look at Dan Williams. All butt. He's a dumpster truck with legs." I mean, that color commentary guy was atrocious. Not even debatable. It was like he was in a TV Commentator Simulator at Commentator Camp, and the instructors were all going :facepalm: as he went down in flames.
Trust me, they were no worse than the Texans crew of Meyers, Tillman, and Allen. Nice review.

Put me in this camp too. I'm sure during the course of three more P/S games, there will be other opportunities to see what the kickers can do. And as someone said in another thread, the kickers can go without any misses in preseason and still cost you a crucial game in the regular season.

See the 1998 Minnesota Vikings: Gary Anderson went 35 for 35 during the season and then missed a 38-yarder that would have put them in the Super Bowl.
Thank could very well be the only opportunity for a clutch FG the Texans have this preseason. And I will take a season like the '98 Vikings had, thank you very much.

Jackie Chiles
08-15-2010, 02:59 PM
2. He was dropping back into coverage A LOT. A LOT. One time, he covered the running back who had flared out and would have been the safety valve on that play, but Barwin was there to cover him and the QB was denied a chance to advance the ball.

This was highly noticeable and I wonder if they aren't preparing him for more of a hybrid DE/OLB role during Cushing's suspension(perhaps afterwards as well). We are all trying to figure out who's going to win the SAM spot but I could see Barwin getting quite a few of those reps when its all said and done. Obviously we still need a more traditional LB to step up during Brian's absence but I get the feeling the coaching staff is going to really try and share that load.

The Pencil Neck
08-15-2010, 03:08 PM
AMOBI:
1. Once again, he's getting double-teamed.
2. Couldn't really tell much else.

I thought he was getting some good penetration. He looked better to me that he's ever looked.

TROY NOLAN:
1. OK, the guy bobbled his interception and got it off a deflection. I can see why we might not want to get all over his jock strap just yet. But the fact remains: He caught the ball, when in the past we've had issues with secondary players coming down with the ball in that situation.
2. He was influencing plays out there.
3. I think he was the guy (or was it Eugene Wilson) who flipped Fitzgerald in the first part of the game?

That was EW.

Brisco_County
08-15-2010, 03:16 PM
BARWIN:
1. Finally, it seems a defensive line coach is teaching our guys that you can use the spin move ONLY if you set it up properly. Barwin stutter-stepped to the inside, in just that immediate split-second when the ball is snapped, and it caused the LG to lean inward to get his base under him...and then Barwin spins (without leaning on the guy, which a veteran LG would just let Barwin fall down at that point) and he gets to the QB and essentially disrupts the whole play by the QB.

SHARPTON:
1. Thick dude. I liked his overall attack out there. I think he's going to be the guy in the first four games while Cushing is serving his time.

I think there's a good chance they'll be using Barwin as an OLB on special 3-4 type formations.

Sharpton is too inexperienced to start against teams like the Colts or Cowboys.

texasguy346
08-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Overall I thought we performed pretty well for our first preseason game. I believe we only had one penalty in the first half which is definitely a good sign. Usually the first preseason game is a flag fest, but the first and second units played a dominant first half with few mistakes. Foster certainly looked as though he deserved to be the starter. I was impressed with Johnson as well as what little we got to see of Tate (unfortunate that he'll be lost for the season). Our defense certainly seemed to have an intensity that it hasn't had in years past and performed very well. However, we also have to take into account we were facing the Cardinals with Leinart as the starter. With all that being said I was most interested to watch our rookies and young guys play.

Sharpton looked great out there. He looks to be a solid backup and might eventually be a starter. I was also impressed with Nolan. I really didn't expect to see much from the reserves at the safety spots but Nolan was a pleasant surprise. On the D-Line I was paying close attention to Mitchell and Sheppard. Mitchell looked very good from what I saw of him, but you can tell he's still a little raw. I think we'll see him become a starter eventually but maybe not this year. I still think he'll be in the DT rotation quite a bit as a rookie. On most plays it seemed as if Sheppard commanded a double team. While the extra attention on him may free up another player to make a play it's still important to see him beat or split a double team once in a while. I'll be interested to see how he performs the rest of the preseason.

On the offensive side of the ball I was impressed with what little I saw of Tate. Hopefully everything heals correctly and we get him back at 100% for next season. Wade Smith also looked pretty good when he came in with the second team offense. He definitely gets down field and he looks to have that aggressiveness we've been looking for in our O-Line for a long time. On the other hand Shelley Smith looked pretty lost out there at times. While that is to be expected to some extent for a rookie I sure hope he puts it together quickly or I don't think he'll make the roster. He may be a better fit for the practice squad anyway. I also really liked what I saw out of Graham at the TE spot. He didn't run many routes and I don't think he even had a pass thrown in his direction. However, he did seem to block in both the passing and running game much better than I ever expected. I hope to see him see a few passes thrown his way in the next game. I also have to say that I think Jeremiah Johnson has a legitimate chance to make the roster now. He looked really good out there last night but of course he was facing third and fourth string defenders. Chris Henry didn't impress me at all last night so I don't see how he makes the final cut. He looks the part but he just doesn't seem to have the vision or instincts to be a quality running back in the NFL. As for Holliday I hope his performance last night was due more to nervousness over his first NFL action rather than just an inability to hack it at this level. His first kickoff return looked pretty good, but all the ones that followed he seemed to hesitate or second guess himself. Hopefully that gets fixed in the next couple of games.

Edit: Forgot to add that Bennett still sucks! He was getting burned by third and fourth stringers.

JB
08-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Great post! Just wanted to point out that Graham did have at least 1 catch. A nice 3rd down conversion.

TheRealJoker
08-15-2010, 04:12 PM
This was highly noticeable and I wonder if they aren't preparing him for more of a hybrid DE/OLB role during Cushing's suspension(perhaps afterwards as well). We are all trying to figure out who's going to win the SAM spot but I could see Barwin getting quite a few of those reps when its all said and done. Obviously we still need a more traditional LB to step up during Brian's absence but I get the feeling the coaching staff is going to really try and share that load.

I would lean towards this being a longterm change. Especially if we end up getting Schobel. Barwin is a highly talented, versatile player. We need to figure out ways to get him snaps, he's too good to sit on the bench.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Thank could very well be the only opportunity for a clutch FG the Texans have this preseason. And I will take a season like the '98 Vikings had, thank you very much.

Roger THAT!!
LOL

gary
08-15-2010, 05:50 PM
I was very happy with the starters and second team for that matter but everything else sucked after that. The D looked great from what I saw early on getting to the QB which also led to much improved secondary play. I am not going to take anything away from them but every football fan knows the game starts with both lines doing their job and the rest falls into place. I am excited to see how Kreem Jackson plays into the mix on Saturday night. Both Sharpton and Bing reallly stood out to me. As for the O I was very happy Matt threw very well and Foster hit the hole hard almost every time the football touched his hands a huge shout out goes to the O line for creating running lanes once again where the game starts and ends. The two backs who came in after Tate when down did ok with JJ running just a little better between the two but that is just my opinion. David Anderson is safe on the roster that guy is undervalued by some IMHO. I watch him and he is just downright money and glue hands. Is he a Probowler? No, but he is very hard nosed and lays everything he has out there on the field. You do not have to have a whole team of Probowlers in order to win which is why every team should have a player like DA IMO. AJ was just AJ but the O line did pick up the blitz very nicely so credit goes to them for allowing Matt Shaub lots of time to look 44 yards down the field for a TD. I hope more TD's are scored the redzone but I have to remember the ones did not play for too long. Nolan made a very heads up play or two which was nice to see. Earl Mitchell did alright and I think he will only get better this season IMO. Frred Bennet will get cut and probably sign with a team in need of deapth at CB. Steve Stlaton worries me but again it's only one game so only time will with him. Jones had a good game and I hope he has a great season thus resigining with the Texans. Dickerson might just a steal IMO. I was happy to see the D getting into a group before they took the field before the first series to get pumped up. I really felt bad for Ben Tate after his injury and seeing his face was even worse for me. Holiday has a lot to prove over the next three ball games. The kickers are those guys who have made field goals but both have failed in the clutch so what gives. Lastly overall the team played very well and I was happy they were just going up against another team for a change. Football and most importantly the Texans are finnally back ya'll and that's a good thing.

TimeKiller
08-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Passing looks unstoppable. AJ gonna beast. KW looked good, JJ looked dy-no-mite and Dickerson looks like he just took Andre Davis' job. Oh and David Anderson is still on the team. TE looks strong...like...strooooong.

RB situation went from looking good to oh shit. Tate gone for the year and Slaton still fumbling. At least we have Foster to look forward to. Oh and the OL looks exactly the same: decent pass pro, shitty interior.

Defense looked crazy good. Pass rush...Run stopping and...did...did I....did you...hey WAS THAT A FRIGGIN SECONDARY?!? Hell yeah it was. Quin/McCain both look like the real deal. Pollard was wrecking dudes. Wilson, the silent assasin even flipped Fitzgerald. All the CBs looked good. Oh and this is all without the 1st round pick. Front 4 looked pretty mighty, LBer looks downright loaded and we might even have a pair of safeties worth talking about. You know what? I think this D is about to carry the team through a few more games.

El Tejano
08-15-2010, 08:25 PM
QBs - Matt looked like he's ready to make his mark in the NFL. Orlovsky....did good by not turning over the ball.

WR- AJ is worth his money. Jacoby looks like he's getting serious about becoming a WR. Walter is steady. Dickerson is going to be a nice addition. I still think Andre Davis has a spot on the team.

OL- Interior suprised me a little. Brown and Winston did a nice job. Studdard and Meyers got to get better. The OLine looked good with Schaub in.

RBs- Foster's ready. Slaton....needs to hold the ball still. With Tate's injury, I'm thinking we need to search for a big back because Henry is really looking soft. JJ may be a nice surprise.

DL- I'm glad to see Mario looking more active. Barwin was part of a turnover, Okoye had some nice plays and was responsible for Mario's second sack. Cody was looking like he got stood up but I'm not sure that was part of the scheme. Antonio is getting pressure. I can see why Kubiak is gaga for Mitchell (almost got a sack.)

LBs- Brian Cushing doesn't need any PEDs. Demeco is the leader of the defense. Bing, Diles, and Sharpton (especially Sharpton) had really good games. Adibi is on his way out.

Secondary - Our youngs CBs were very good. Nice to see our CBs line up directly in front of the receiver and not 15 yards off (Dunta). Quin, is a tackler. His named wasn't mentioned alot but Mccain had a very good game. Pollard set the tone, Wilson established himself and Nolan is going to be nice.

ST - Holliday gave me no reason to cut Andre Davis. Kickers made their kicks and our punter had some nice ones.

Coaching- Frank Bush has this defense playing fast. I can't remember our defense not looking so vanilla in preseason. I liked our offensive calls. I think the run game is going to have more wrinkles this season.

Overall: I came away seeing how deep our team is and I even noticed that Kubiak does less on the sidelines because the team seems to manage itself through the leadership and almost as if the coaches are now in place.

drs23
08-15-2010, 08:41 PM
QBs - Matt looked like he's ready to make his mark in the NFL. Orlovsky....did good by not turning over the ball.

WR- AJ is worth his money. Jacoby looks like he's getting serious about becoming a WR. Walter is steady. Dickerson is going to be a nice addition. I still think Andre Davis has a spot on the team.

OL- Interior suprised me a little. Brown and Winston did a nice job. Studdard and Meyers got to get better. The OLine looked good with Schaub in.

RBs- Foster's ready. Slaton....needs to hold the ball still. With Tate's injury, I'm thinking we need to search for a big back because Henry is really looking soft. JJ may be a nice surprise.

DL- I'm glad to see Mario looking more active. Barwin was part of a turnover, Okoye had some nice plays and was responsible for Mario's second sack. Cody was looking like he got stood up but I'm not sure that was part of the scheme. Antonio is getting pressure. I can see why Kubiak is gaga for Mitchell (almost got a sack.)

LBs- Brian Cushing doesn't need any PEDs. Demeco is the leader of the defense. Bing, Diles, and Sharpton (especially Sharpton) had really good games. Adibi is on his way out.

Secondary - Our youngs CBs were very good. Nice to see our CBs line up directly in front of the receiver and not 15 yards off (Dunta). Quin, is a tackler. His named wasn't mentioned alot but Mccain had a very good game. Pollard set the tone, Wilson established himself and Nolan is going to be nice.

ST - Holliday gave me no reason to cut Andre Davis. Kickers made their kicks and our punter had some nice ones.

Coaching- Frank Bush has this defense playing fast. I can't remember our defense not looking so vanilla in preseason. I liked our offensive calls. I think the run game is going to have more wrinkles this season.

Overall: I came away seeing how deep our team is and I even noticed that Kubiak does less on the sidelines because the team seems to manage itself through the leadership and almost as if the coaches are now in place.

:goodpost:

HouTxFan
08-15-2010, 09:53 PM

:goodpost: x 2

JB
08-15-2010, 10:18 PM

:goodpost: X3

El Tejano
08-16-2010, 08:25 AM
Overall I was reall impressed with our secondary. Az has some good WR and we did well to cover them. I liked seeing how our DBs weren't afraid to get in the face of Larry Fitz.