PDA

View Full Version : Really Slaton ???

mikey21
08-14-2010, 09:17 PM
fastest way to lose play time is to go against a teams secound teamers and only have 22 yards on 10 carries and fumble the ball ... the future of the running game is Foster and Tate

Thorn
08-14-2010, 09:32 PM
As pissed off at Slaton as I am right now, I wouldn't count him out just yet. If he fumbles next week, he's in big shit trouble though.

cman321
08-14-2010, 09:39 PM
i thought slaton shows nice quickness. tate not so much. slaton's game is not to run up the middle on short yardage. he is like reggie bush (actually probably better) but with fumble probs.

he is a valuabe asset....just have to know how to use him

stingray
08-14-2010, 09:43 PM
i thought slaton shows nice quickness. tate not so much. slaton's game is not to run up the middle on short yardage. he is like reggie bush (actually probably better) but with fumble probs.

he is a valuabe asset....just have to know how to use him

You've decided this on one rush by Tate?

stingray
08-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Damn! Tate is hurt.

WolverineFan
08-14-2010, 09:54 PM
fastest way to lose play time is to go against a teams secound teamers and only have 22 yards on 10 carries and fumble the ball ... the future of the running game is Foster and Tate

Can't judge Slaton by his stat line. He was playing with the 2nd team offense and the line was very rusty coming out. He got stuffed in the backfield on his first few carries because the line was missing blocks. When they got down the field and got in a rhythm he was making some good plays.

I liked what I saw from him outside of the fumble. He won't be in on the goalline though during the season.

ProximoMetalica
08-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, it does not look real good for Tate right now. Anytime your taken off the field in a cart, it ain't good. I am going to bet he is out for the season and will never be the same. I hope I am wrong, but it looked pretty darn bad to me. Just our luck!

WolverineFan
08-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Yeah, it does not look real good for Tate right now. Anytime your taken off the field in a cart, it ain't good. I am going to bet he is out for the season and will never be the same. I hope I am wrong, but it looked pretty darn bad to me. Just our luck!

Wow dude don't be such a negative nancy.

He has a hurt ankle or knee so of course they took him inside on the cart. What they're going to make him walk all the way to the locker room? Come on man.

Thorn
08-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Wow dude don't be such a negative nancy.

He has a hurt ankle or knee so of course they took him inside on the cart. What they're going to make him walk all the way to the locker room? Come on man.

Exactly. Until we know the story, we don't don't know.

Ranger Tom
08-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Hope Tate's all right. I watched the play with someone who happens to be a doctor, though, whose tone and assessment were not encouraging. If Slaton doesn't learn from his goal-line mistake, this could be another long season.

(I know we have two other backs; I'm afraid I'll jinx them if I express hope.)

dinkatoid
08-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I do not put too much stock into Slaton's performance. Kinda felt bad for him. Foster gets out there with Shaub and AJ and such, and Slaton has Dan-O, which the cards are nowhere near as afraid of. He did make a few good plays, but for the sake of my blood pressure, I am going to pretend that fumble was a fluke.

Hervoyel
08-14-2010, 11:08 PM
My only concern right now is Tate. Slaton was simply trying too hard and busted out a giant case of the stupid on the goal line. That wasn't at all indicative of the way he has approached that kind of play in the past. He was clearly pressing because he got stuffed so much early.

Still, it was maybe the worst possible thing that could happen to him tonight and I hope he can find a way to get past it. The last thing he needs is to start thinking about fumbling.... more.

LikeMike
08-14-2010, 11:13 PM
I actually thought Slaton looked pretty good out there... until he fumbled the ball.. again. But before that he was hitting all the right holes, fighting for extra yards - with a little better blocking his stat line would`ve looked a lot better.

WolverineFan
08-14-2010, 11:16 PM
I actually thought Slaton looked pretty good out there... until he fumbled the ball.. again. But before that he was hitting all the right holes, fighting for extra yards - with a little better blocking his stat line would`ve looked a lot better.

I agree. He looked a lot better with the lost weight. Much more explosive and quicker cuts.

CloakNNNdagger
08-14-2010, 11:18 PM
One thing the broadcasters mentioned is that Slaton in his backpedalling doesn't know when he's going to get hit, implying he is more likely to lose the ball. My concern when he turns his back to the D and backpedals, he becomes a high risk at being hit from the back and sustaining a whiplash injury. This is the mechanism that creates cervical compression injury (his original problem), even more commonly than direct head on top of helmet impact. If he is determined to use backpedalling, he better be fit with an appropriate heavy posterior horse collar pad.

Marcus
08-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Come on guys! Some of you act like you've never seen someone come off the field with no weight on the leg.

Tate is done for the year and will probably be cut next year. Move on.

ObsiWan
08-14-2010, 11:20 PM

I'll give you that he fairly looked good effort-wise. But that fumbling has got to stop!

Thorn
08-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Come on guys! Some of you act like you've never seen someone come off the field with no weight on the leg.

Overreact much?

why don't we wait until news is released.

ObsiWan
08-14-2010, 11:21 PM

your problem is that you're just too damned optimistic
:)

ReliantTexan
08-14-2010, 11:25 PM

http://i38.tinypic.com/2ef5jds.jpg

Marcus
08-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Overreact much?

why don't we wait until news is released.

I'm not overreating. If you want to delude yourself with false hopes, be my guest.

Thorn
08-14-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm not overreating. If you want to delude yourself with false hopes, be my guest.

The only thing I delude myself with is beer. As to the Texans, they'll be on TV next week. And the week after that.

The one thing about the NFL is you can't predict it.

Texan_Bill
08-14-2010, 11:32 PM
:facepalm: Steve!

mikey21
08-14-2010, 11:41 PM
here is the problem i see. this is not the first time he has had fumble problems, he had them at west virginia and last year, when he gets a chance to punch it in, he ran high and your supposed to lower your shoulders at the goalline plus he did not have the ball secured properly. i am not saying slaton is a bad player, but he is quickly becomeing just a third down back and not someone who can be depended upon to carry the load

JB
08-14-2010, 11:42 PM

It's a high ankle sprain. You really think that ends his career?

Negative Nancy rearing her ugly head about the first preseason game...tsk tsk.

:barman:

silvrhand
08-14-2010, 11:47 PM
here is the problem i see. this is not the first time he has had fumble problems, he had them at west virginia and last year, when he gets a chance to punch it in, he ran high and your supposed to lower your shoulders at the goalline plus he did not have the ball secured properly. i am not saying slaton is a bad player, but he is quickly becomeing just a third down back and not someone who can be depended upon to carry the load

Yep, he was running straight up, didn't have both hands on the ball, and on goal line offense he fumbled again. Sorry NFL players don't do that, the time is ticking on Slaton, besides holiday can fill in on third downs :)

mikey21
08-14-2010, 11:49 PM
just what we wanted to hear about tate, high ankle sprain, that sucks, i was really wanting to see the kid get more carries

mikey21
08-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Yep, he was running straight up, didn't have both hands on the ball, and on goal line offense he fumbled again. Sorry NFL players don't do that, the time is ticking on Slaton, besides holiday can fill in on third downs :)

would have a hard time finding holiday :)

El Tejano
08-14-2010, 11:56 PM
I hope Tate is better than I think because after tonight, I'm wondering who our big back is going to be.

mikey21
08-14-2010, 11:57 PM
I hope Tate is better than I think because after tonight, I'm wondering who our big back is going to be.

i'm with you on that

powerfuldragon
08-15-2010, 12:33 AM
slaton's better than his fumble, and we/he know(s) it.

mikey21
08-15-2010, 12:37 AM
slaton's better than his fumble, and we/he know(s) it.

he is? he fumbled way too much last year and had fumble problems at west virginia. on top of it all, he didnt even take a hard hit for him to fumble the ball on the goal line. slaton is quickly becoming just a third down back

Marcus
08-15-2010, 12:47 AM
It's a high ankle sprain. You really think that ends his career?

Negative Nancy rearing her ugly head about the first preseason game...tsk tsk.

:barman:

Bob Allen saw Dr. Walter Lowe shaking his head when he looked at Tate's ankle x rays, so I got your Negative Nancy shit hangin.

Dwade
08-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Slaton was very disappointing.

The rest of the 1st offense looked good though, can't wait for the regular season!

powerfuldragon
08-15-2010, 12:53 AM
he is? he fumbled way too much last year and had fumble problems at west virginia. on top of it all, he didnt even take a hard hit for him to fumble the ball on the goal line. slaton is quickly becoming just a third down back

he has flashes of brilliance. it's a shame he fumbles enough to overshadow that's all i'm trying to say.

mikey21
08-15-2010, 12:58 AM
have to be able to hold on to the ball to even get a chance to have flashes of brilliance

powerfuldragon
08-15-2010, 01:02 AM
have to be able to hold on to the ball to even get a chance to have flashes of brilliance

you're just being an ass now. i won't dispute his fumbling issue, but dude's got quicks.

NitroGSXR
08-15-2010, 01:12 AM
Bob Allen saw Dr. Walter Lowe shaking his head when he looked at Tate's ankle x rays, so I got your Negative Nancy shit hangin.

Dr. Walter Lowe of Orthopedic Associates? He operated on my shoulder 15 years ago.

mikey21
08-15-2010, 01:14 AM
you're just being an ass now. i won't dispute his fumbling issue, but dude's got quicks.

just because you have quicks doesnt make for a great running back, being able to block, have great vision, catch, good speed and most importantly holding on to the ball does

NitroGSXR
08-15-2010, 01:15 AM

Eh. His running looked the same as last season which was subpar. It's his pass catching that continues to be impressive.

THE NFL
08-15-2010, 01:43 AM
Slaton and brilliance should never be in the same sentence. He looks good at times, but he doesnt look brilliant.

Slaton is a 3rd down pass catching back. His season in 2008 was a flash in the pan. It happens all the time in the NFL.

powerfuldragon
08-15-2010, 01:45 AM
sue a guy for trying to stay positive.

eriadoc
08-15-2010, 02:38 AM
I might have to revive my "Cut Slaton Now" thread from last season. I had hoped that he'd come back and be used in situations that were more suited to his explosiveness and keep him out of the type of traffic that facilitates fumbles. However, as I pointed out last season, he was just plain dropping the ball as much as he was having it knocked out.

As much as some guy on Arizona would like to claim a forced fumble, tonight's fumble was just ineptitude by Slaton. So the thing is, if the guy can't be counted on for even decent ball security, then you can't even really use him on screens and such. I mean, it's not like what he's bringing to the table is so awesome that it outweighs his fumbles. He's not AP or anything. He's a butterfingered scatback.

Well, I guess he has all preseason to rack up fumbles and prove he can't be trusted in the NFL, so we'll see.

Schaub2Dre
08-15-2010, 02:51 AM
From his tweet tonight: "Stay with me fans we all have are bad days an dark nights. When i get through this it'll be worth it. "

I sure hope so!

TexanExile
08-15-2010, 05:02 AM
From his tweet tonight: "Stay with me fans we all have are bad days an dark nights. When i get through this it'll be worth it. "

Unfortunate that his "bad days" always seem to be Sundays. Except in August, when they are usually Saturdays. Last year's league leader in fumbles hasn't missed a beat. (Or a tweet, apparently.)

I'm having a hard time seeing that fumble as no big deal. Slaton knows what the one major rap on him is--the whole NFL knows it, for that matter. I still like his receiving ability and his moves, but come ON...goal line fumble!? He came into the game locked in a competition for playing time and probably THE only thing he couldn't do was fumble. With Tate out, the competition eases a little, but he's going to be under even more scrutiny for the rest of the preseason now.

If he doesn't "get through this" by Labor Day, I don't see how you trust the guy when real football starts. This fumble bothered me a lot more than the final score.

Hervoyel
08-15-2010, 05:30 PM
I think he'll be fine. He's trying too hard, pressing, and hoping to bust out and win his starting job back. He needs to just settle down and focus. He's not done yet. He just needs to be patient and quit trying to force things.

b0ng
08-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Put me in the "Slaton is not done" camp. 1 preseason game and 1 fumble. He did have some decent runs and catches so I can't completely write him off.

thunderkyss
08-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Am I alone in thinking if he put up a bunch of yards, and a couple of touchdowns every game we would overlook this fumble thing?

PHAROAH
08-15-2010, 06:43 PM
If slaton plays well that is a plus but we can't count on him to carry the load and I say make a move to make a major trade to some team that really has a need like Carolina who has two number 1 backs and a nice 3rd back in Mike Goodson. I say give up a 3rd round pick and the rights to WR Jacoby Jones or Steve Slaton as they have a huge need at WR for Deangelo Williams. I know this sounds crazy but we need to make a move now as the season could be lost without a steady ground game this is a huge loss with tate going down.

TheRealJoker
08-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Am I alone in thinking if he put up a bunch of yards, and a couple of touchdowns every game we would overlook this fumble thing?

It works for Adrian Peterson, but Slaton got the butterfingers when he was not producing...

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Dr. Walter Lowe of Orthopedic Associates? He operated on my shoulder 15 years ago.

He is one and the same.:)

Marcus
08-15-2010, 07:10 PM

I don't know who else would think that, but I don't. Slaton has given himself a reputation as a fumbler, meaning it's on film for other teams to look at, and they will certainly not miss any opportunity to help him maintain that reputation.

And I think I can safely say, that if there is only person on this earth who is aggravated by Slaton's propensity to fumble, it's Kubiak. If he coughs it up during a real game this season, he won't play another down that game. He won't get the chance to put up yards or score touchdowns.

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 07:49 PM
It works for Adrian Peterson, but Slaton got the butterfingers when he was not producing...

This is a piece BASED on Peterson's positive vs negative value in relationship to performance contributing to winning vs fumbles. ADVANCEDNFLSTATS.COM has developed an interesting formula for determining this issue. LINK (http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/01/win-probability-added-wpa-explained.html)

Click on the Win Probability Added (WPA) (http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/01/win-probability-added-wpa-explained.html) here or the link highlighted in the second paragraph of the article for an explanation for this stat.

Then look at Slaton's stats by clicking on Running Backs for the 2008 and/or the 2009 season.

Accordingly, it is apparent that, at least to date, Peterson has a much more favorable presence than Slaton when it comes to fumbles to performance contributing to wins.

SheTexan
08-15-2010, 08:44 PM

I sure hope so!

Kubes needs to send him to a Sports Psychologist! JMO! I think he has some serious issues, with immaturity being #1. I still think he has some type of ADD problem also. This is his third year, and he's still unable to concentrate, focus, and REMEMBER basic instructions. If you guys think Kris Brown scares the hell out of you when he gets up to kick, well, that's the effect SS has on me. Instant stomach ache!!

Kimmy
08-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Kubes needs to send him to a Sports Psychologist! JMO! I think he has some serious issues, with immaturity being #1. I still think he has some type of ADD problem also. This is his third year, and he's still unable to concentrate, focus, and REMEMBER basic instructions. If you guys think Kris Brown scares the hell out of you when he gets up to kick, well, that's the effect SS has on me. Instant stomach ache!!

REPPED! I couldn't agree more. I "unfollwed" him on Twitter, if he can't get it together for a text message, makes me wonder how he is getting through the meetings.

El Tejano
08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm rewatching the games. Anyone else think it's time for SS to put on some kind of sleeves? Dudes arms look like he got a water hose and just ran water right over them. Those arms are very sweaty and look very slick, especially in the forearm area.

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm rewatching the games. Anyone else think it's time for SS to put on some kind of sleeves? Dudes arms look like he got a water hose and just ran water right over them. Those arms are very sweaty and look very slick, especially in the forearm area.

Pine tar should do just fine:truck:

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Pine tar should do just fine:truck:

You are talking about just the forearms, right?
:ahhaha:

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 09:19 PM
You are talking about just the forearms, right?

Exactly.:tiphat:

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Exactly.:tiphat:
you know the application of pine tar onto human skin can be painful...

...what am I doing... you're a doctor; of course you know that.

how about a pair of those rubberized sleeve thingies some guys use to keep from getting carpet burns..?

NitroGSXR
08-15-2010, 10:57 PM

how about a pair of those rubberized sleeve thingies some guys use to keep from getting carpet burns..?
I know that back in high school we used to spray this stuff on the soles of our shoes to stick to the floor better... maybe we should dip Slaton in that stuff?

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Actually, it could also cure his psoriasis, eczema, and dry skin problems.:)

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Actually, it could also cure his psoriasis, eczema, and dry skin problems.:)

Well, yeah... no skin, no skin issues.

The1ApplePie
08-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Sadly, with Tate gone, Slaton is the only playmaker we have at RB. Foster is solid, but he is not going to burn a defense on the screen.

ObsiWan
08-15-2010, 11:25 PM
I know that back in high school we used to spray this stuff on the soles of our shoes to stick to the floor better... maybe we should dip Slaton in that stuff?

That's an idea... Better yet, somebody get Fred Biletnikoff or Lester Hayes' phone number. Maybe they still have some of that stick'em left from their playing days

eriadoc
08-15-2010, 11:37 PM

1.) If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass when he jumped.

2.) If his fumbles are causing the team to lose, the stats don't matter.

I was optimistic about the RB position 36 hours ago. Now we are without Tate and Slaton has revealed that his fumbling is in fact a pattern.

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Well, yeah... no skin, no skin issues.

:spit:

Actually pine tar is used for treating skin conditions.

Seņor Stan
08-16-2010, 07:45 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0907/nfl.remember.when/images/elvin-hayes.jpg

Paging Mr. Hayes...

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2010, 08:09 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0907/nfl.remember.when/images/elvin-hayes.jpg

Paging Mr. Hayes...

Pine tar moved from MLB to the NFL.

It isn't clear who started the tar trend, although the first such player Uni Watch recalls seeing was Craig Biggio, back in the 1990s. In any case, the idea is to turn the helmet into a surrogate pine tar rag, so the player can simply touch his helmet during an at-bat to access the sticky stuff. (Note that several of the pine partisans, including Mientkiewicz, Jorge Posada, and Vlad Guerrero, are also among the small contingent of big league hitters who don't wear batting gloves.) This essentialy makes the pine tar crew the spiritual heirs of NFL legends Lester Hayes and Fred Biletnikoff, who were notorious for slathering themselves with so much adhesive goo that they essentially were walking stickum factories.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/041021)