View Full Version : Glen Coffee retires

ThaShark316
08-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Shocker here...dude's 23.

http://i38.tinypic.com/35ks8k5.jpg

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38694908/ns/sports-player_news/

GP
08-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Wow. If this is true, then I must admit that I was WRONG.

I felt we should have selected him a round earlier than we tried to, and look what would have happened: He quits.

Holy cow. I mean, I am just floored.

drewmar74
08-13-2010, 02:36 PM
Wow...

brakos82
08-13-2010, 02:37 PM
I smell a conspiracy..... :spy:

IBleedTexans
08-13-2010, 02:37 PM
That's amazing! Think about how much grief gk would have had, had he picked gc in the third round last year.

chicagotexan2
08-13-2010, 02:38 PM
There's more to this. Maybe he's pulling a Ricky and quitting a failed drug test.

eriadoc
08-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Wow! I was a big Glen Coffee fan. How wrong.

brakos82
08-13-2010, 02:41 PM
There's more to this. Maybe he's pulling a Ricky and quitting a failed drug test.

Or he'll be dead in 2 weeks and doesn't want anyone to worry. Maybe some illegal... coffee... smuggling gone bad?

:shades:

Kulluminatii
08-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Wow...I'm shocked. Something is up, the guy was a pretty good #2 and could have potentially been a #1 RB.

gtexan02
08-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Me too. I cna't wait to hear what the rest of this story is...

Ole Miss Texan
08-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I smell a conspiracy..... :spy:

Singletary's been locking kids in electrical closets during practice...

This is just strange. I was a fan of his, dissappointed he went before our 3rd round pick but like the fact we got his Bama counterpart Antoine Caldwell instead.

gary
08-13-2010, 02:53 PM
He is not just a quiter there is merit behind this just wait.

J_R
08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Wow. If this is true, then I must admit that I was WRONG.

I felt we should have selected him a round earlier than we tried to, and look what would have happened: He quits.

Holy cow. I mean, I am just floored.

Bring up a point, did he quit or retire?

gtexan02
08-13-2010, 02:57 PM
He is not just a quiter there is merit behind this just wait.

If he lost the passion for the game, is he a quitter?

Kulluminatii
Maybe he "found God"? I remember reading about a player (I believe in college) not entering the draft because he'd rather be a pastor or something. Still, this is quite strange...Quitting/retiring after 1 season? :headhurts:

gary
Bring up a point, did he quit or retire?I don't think he ment it like that but I won't speak for him.

GP
08-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Bring up a point, did he quit or retire?

Nobody knows the whole story yet, but the guy quit.

You announce a retirement, at THAT stage of a career, then it's either an injury or drug problems or doesn't want to play anymore.

I didn't think his injury was career-ending. Doesn't seem to be a druggie. I have my money on the reason being a lack of interest in playing. Just a hunch.

You'd think there would have been smoke before the fire, meaning we would have watched him battle a lingering injury that just never would heal, or running into legal problems here and there. Right in the middle of training camp, he's done. And with no big announcement or anything.

gtexan02
08-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Nobody knows the whole story yet, but the guy quit.

You announce a retirement, at THAT stage of a career, then it's either an injury or drug problems or doesn't want to play anymore.

I didn't think his injury was career-ending. Doesn't seem to be a druggie. I have my money on the reason being a lack of interest in playing. Just a hunch.

Especially given the Balmer angle.

Apparently camp-singletary is pretty bad?

gary
08-13-2010, 03:00 PM
If he lost the passion for the game, is he a quitter?That would be rare but nope. Why do you love to quote me anyway?

brakos82
08-13-2010, 03:01 PM
That would be rare but nope. Why do you love to quote me anyway?

We're just one big quote-happy family. :thisbig:

GP
08-13-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't think he ment it like that but I won't speak for him.

What does it matter how I meant it?

Why am I suddenly under the microscope here.

Players usually "retire" because their body can't take it anymore. Unless he has an injury or illness that means he can't compete, then he "quit" IMO.

If he found something else, fine by me. But it doesn't negate the fact that he quit. The real story here is how close we came to getting this guy. Wow.

The1ApplePie
08-13-2010, 03:05 PM
The Colts had a guy quit after one year a few seasons back (DT from Ohio State), it happens.

Some people just don't like the schedule or lifestyle

GP
08-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Are you OK? You seem to be on the attack here.

Kulluminatii
08-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Haha, found this on the 9ers forum :lol:.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv279/thewizmolestsdogs/amazing-girl-quits-1copy.jpg

gary
08-13-2010, 03:10 PM
What does it matter how I meant it?

Why am I suddenly under the microscope here.

Players usually "retire" because their body can't take it anymore. Unless he has an injury or illness that means he can't compete, then he "quit" IMO.

If he found something else, fine by me. But it doesn't negate the fact that he quit. The real story here is how close we came to getting this guy. Wow.So, he was in it for the cash? Humm. Maybe. He almost would be stealing money then by not waiting for his contract to exspire.

GP
08-13-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't think he ment it like that but I won't speak for him.

I think he meant this:

That brings up a point: Did he quit, or retire?

In my mind, the difference is....

Quit: To give up because you've been beaten in the game or no longer have interest in continuing even though you're capable.

Retire: To stop the game because you indeed desire to continue, but cannot continue playing for reasons outside your control.

gary
08-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Are you OK? You seem to be on the attack here.He just qoutes me a lot and I'd like to know why.

GP
08-13-2010, 03:15 PM
So, he was in it for the cash? Humm. Maybe. He almost would be stealing money then by not waiting for his contract to exspire.

If he were in it for the money, he would not have quit. He would play out his contract and give the minimum of effort. That, to me, would be stealing from the company.

But he got his guaranteed money, via the bonus that you get when you sign the contract. Now he's been on a salary, which means he gets paid not on future work but on each game he plays.

Once he retires, the 49ers owe him zero dollars. Unless there is some sort of pension type thing going on. I just am pretty sure that once he said "I'm done" and he signed the papers stating his retirement and making it official, he's no longer getting contract money.

GP
08-13-2010, 03:16 PM
He just qoutes me a lot and I'd like to know why.

Well, gary, he quotes me too. And he and I don't always agree on topics, but we quote each other so people can see our responses and to whom it was intended or meant for.

I didn't even sense any sort of bad attitude in how gtexan replied to you. Maybe try sending him a private message and ask him questions to see what he says back.

gary
08-13-2010, 03:21 PM
If he were in it for the money, he would not have quit. He would play out his contract and give the minimum of effort. That, to me, would be stealing from the company.

But he got his guaranteed money, via the bonus that you get when you sign the contract. Now he's been on a salary, which means he gets paid not on future work but on each game he plays.

Once he retires, the 49ers owe him zero dollars. Unless there is some sort of pension type thing going on. I just am pretty sure that once he said "I'm done" and he signed the papers stating his retirement and making it official, he's no longer getting contract money.He still did not ad hear to it for some reason like he should have which is not right. We don't know why yet.

Ryan
08-13-2010, 03:22 PM
He might have just lost the competitive fire. Maybe he never liked football in the first place? Might have had folks that forced it upon him at a young age.

Dutchrudder
08-13-2010, 03:24 PM
It happens, but I'm glad the Texans didn't draft him. There was a lot of talk about the Texans hoping to get him in the 3rd round, but the 49ers grabbed him just a few spots before us.

brakos82
08-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Haha, found this on the 9ers forum :lol:.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv279/thewizmolestsdogs/amazing-girl-quits-1copy.jpg

:spit:

gary
08-13-2010, 03:30 PM
He might have just lost the competitive fire. Maybe he never liked football in the first place? Might have had folks that forced it upon him at a young age.If true, then that would be sad if you ask me. I have not ever been forced into anything nor known some one who has been? So, how do you deal with that thus allowing it to happen? I honestly do not know.

Ryan
08-13-2010, 03:37 PM
If true, then that would be sad if you ask me. I have not ever been forced into anything nor known some one who has been? So, how do you deal with that thus allowing it to happen? I honestly do not know.

I've seen it happen plenty of times. Having parents force you into a sport or something because they are trying to live their lives through their children. Hasn't happened to me personally, but i've seen it. I doubt an adult really can really be forced into something once they get to the college level, so that probably isn't the case with Coffee. My guess is he just lost his competitive edge.

JB
08-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Per Maiocco, Coffee exits the game after drawing the ire of position coach Tom Rathman by getting blown up by Mike Balogun on a blitz.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/13/glen-coffee-retires/

Last memory of Coffee at 49ers practice yesterday morn. He got pancaked by Mike Balogun on blitz, and RB coach Tom Rathman was not pleased.

http://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/statuses/21080776299

ChampionTexan
08-13-2010, 03:48 PM
That's amazing! Think about how much grief gk would have had, had he picked gc in the third round last year.

Yep - now if only Shonn Greene would decide to do the same thing, the Texans Front Office will be in line for deification!

(Probably wouldn't hurt the Hard Knocks ratings either.)

gary
08-13-2010, 03:48 PM
I've seen it happen plenty of times. Having parents force you into a sport or something because they are trying to live their lives through their children. Hasn't happened to me personally, but i've seen it. I doubt an adult really can really be forced into something once they get to the college level, so that probably isn't the case with Coffee. My guess is he just lost his competitive edge.He might have been forced into footballl through his school but give it up in college or before then. Some may say he should have just played through his deal and not just walk away and they have a point. But, if he has indeed lost his interest then he might just be doing his team a favor.

Grams
08-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I read he got reamed at practice by the postition coast Tom Rathman for failing to p/u a blitzer. Then did not show onThur or today at practice.

Think he would have to pay a portion of his signing bonus back if he has actually quit/retired.

The1ApplePie
08-13-2010, 03:54 PM
It seems that Singeltary's trainning camp is rubbing a lot of players than wrong way.

Kentwaan Balmer is apparently skipping out as well

thunderkyss
08-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Once he retires, the 49ers owe him zero dollars. Unless there is some sort of pension type thing going on. I just am pretty sure that once he said "I'm done" and he signed the papers stating his retirement and making it official, he's no longer getting contract money.

I think for an official NFLPA retirement, you have to have been on a Roster for 5 years. I don't think he can truly retire.

& If I were the 49ers, I'd want my money back, if he is not going to honor his end of the agreement. I understand guaranteed means guaranteed, but I don't think it means guaranteed.

Know what I mean?

gary
08-13-2010, 03:57 PM
It is very hard to decide with all these rumors floating around. How can anyone make a final jugement untill they know more? LOL.

HoustonFrog
08-13-2010, 03:59 PM
This guy was a rookie sleeper darling last year and now...nada

NitroGSXR
08-13-2010, 04:00 PM
It seems that Singeltary's trainning camp is rubbing a lot of players than wrong way.

Kentwaan Balmer is apparently skipping out as well
Mike Singletary rubs me (as a general fan) the wrong way. I'm not a fan of his antics despite him making the 49ers into a better overall team. I remember thinking... man it's going to suck playing for Singletary. He's like a Lombardi with some Buddy Ryan sprinkled in. A little old school.

gary
08-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I just need to know more info on this,

JB
08-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Coach Mike Singletary was glad RB Glen Coffee made his decision now and not later. "I respect his honesty and respect him for not going through the motions," he said, adding, "I'm looking for 53 men who love football."

Coach Mike Singletary described his conversation with RB Glen Coffee. “All I asked him was, ‘Are you sure? Have you really thought about this?’ He said, ‘Yes, I have. I thought about it for a long time.’” Singletary added that he appreciated Coffee told him face-to-face.

Coach Mike Singletary explained RB Glen Coffee’s attitude. “His demeanor was, ‘I really hate to lay this on you, coach. But since college, my heart just hasn’t been in it. As a matter of fact, I came out early because my heart wasn’t in it,’ Singletary said.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/date?tag=RR_Menu;RR_Archives

ChampionTexan
08-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Think he would have to pay a portion of his signing bonus back if he has actually quit/retired.

If I were the 49ers, I'd want my money back, if he is not going to honor his end of the agreement. I understand guaranteed means guaranteed, but I don't think it means guaranteed.

Know what I mean?

Typically (at most) guaranteed money in the NFL is guaranteed for skill (Getting cut) and injury. "Retiring" prior to the normal termination of your contract is neither, and the Niners are definitely in line to see the return of some money (See also the Dolphins and Ricky Williams, and the Falcons and Michael Vick).

gary
08-13-2010, 04:13 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/date?tag=RR_Menu;RR_Archives
Just wow. Maybe we all should look at this as him having the heart to come out and say it which in that case the team should be glad because at least he did not show it in the games. I say allow him to work out the money side of things and just let bygons be bygons JMO.

Kulluminatii
08-13-2010, 04:18 PM
I really dislike 49er fans, but I have to admit, they come up with some pretty funny stuff.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z36/JaymanInYoPocket/sigs/fodypb.jpg

And if you guys don't know about the Balmer situation, this (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819b87cb/article/report-49ers-want-absent-balmer-to-return-part-of-signing-bonus?module=HP_headlines) will fill you in.

gary
08-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I really dislike 49er fans, but I have to admit, they come up with some pretty funny stuff.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z36/JaymanInYoPocket/sigs/fodypb.jpg

And if you guys don't know about the Balmer situation, this (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819b87cb/article/report-49ers-want-absent-balmer-to-return-part-of-signing-bonus?module=HP_headlines) will fill you in.
Thanks.

JB
08-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Coach Mike Singletary may be starting to lose it. "We had our best practice yesterday of the training camp," he said, adding, "Today, the guys are excited. We’re ready to football." Not sure what we were watching all week, didn't see much execution or excitement.

Coach Mike Singletary said nothing has changed with DE Kentwan Balmer, who has missed his fifth straight day of practice. "If he wanted to be here, he'd be here," he said.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/SF/all_tags/today

gary
08-13-2010, 04:26 PM
This very bad for Mike.

mattieuk
08-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow...what a wierd story.

Perhaps he thought "wow, I can go one year of work, and get enough money to buy a really nice house, and start doing a career in something else, whilst I'm young enough to be able to climb a ladder, instead of potentially having my life expectancy shorted by playing 10 years of NFL football".

Who knows his thought process. I'm just glad this came up before my Fantasy Draft hit the later rounds!

brakos82
08-13-2010, 04:36 PM

Perhaps he thought "wow, I can go one year of work, and get enough money to buy a really nice house, and start doing a career in something else, whilst I'm young enough to be able to climb a ladder, instead of potentially having my life expectancy shorted by playing 10 years of NFL football".

Who knows his thought process. I'm just glad this came up before my Fantasy Draft hit the later rounds!

Oh god. *checks fantasy rosters*

J_R
08-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Could be headed to ministry

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/9267/Ian-Rapoport--Coffee-may-be-headed-to-ministry/Default.aspx

http://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/21086332704

Dutchrudder
08-13-2010, 04:46 PM

Yeah, this is going to really change how people look at the 49ers RBs. Gore may end up with a ton more carries, but given his injuries of the past I'm not so sure that is a good thing. When he's healthy, he's a beast and 16 games with 300+ attempts would be a fantasy gold mine.

eriadoc
08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
I think for an official NFLPA retirement, you have to have been on a Roster for 5 years. I don't think he can truly retire.

& If I were the 49ers, I'd want my money back, if he is not going to honor his end of the agreement. I understand guaranteed means guaranteed, but I don't think it means guaranteed.

Most signing bonuses are prorated over the life of the contract, IIRC (but paid out if team reneges).

Typically (at most) guaranteed money in the NFL is guaranteed for skill (Getting cut) and injury. "Retiring" prior to the normal termination of your contract is neither, and the Niners are definitely in line to see the return of some money (See also the Dolphins and Ricky Williams, and the Falcons and Michael Vick).

Coffee will have to pay back a portion of his signing bonus.

LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/13/glen-coffee-retires/)

The team will be able to recover the balance of his $828,000 signing bonus on a four-year deal.

It works out to $621,000.

stingray
08-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah, this is going to really change how people look at the 49ers RBs. Gore may end up with a ton more carries, but given his injuries of the past I'm not so sure that is a good thing. When he's healthy, he's a beast and 16 games with 300+ attempts would be a fantasy gold mine.

Anthony Dixon is the second man now.

JB
08-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Anthony Dixon is the second man now.

If he can learn the protection schemes.

Lucky
08-13-2010, 07:08 PM
gary, to be fair to gtexan02, you provide a lot of opportunities to quote when you have over 11,000 posts. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Besides, didn't you complain in another thread that you didn't get enough responses? I'm confused.

Regarding the Texans professed love for Coffee, I believe Rick Smith said in the '09 draft presser that the Texans were targeting Shonn Greene & Glen Coffee in the 3rd. Had that gone RB rather than DE in the 2nd, I have to believe it would have been Greene.

gary
08-13-2010, 09:26 PM
gary, to be fair to gtexan02, you provide a lot of opportunities to quote when you have over 11,000 posts. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Besides, didn't you complain in another thread that you didn't get enough responses? I'm confused.Getting responces to threads I start and qoutes are different but anyway I thought about it later and decided it was not the best thing to do by then it was too late to turn back. I became curious and became carried away it happens. I should have just PM him instead I just figured he might just think something about me but I hope not. I was probably in the wrong and I am sorry. It's all good now though I am not angry or one to go on the attack normally. The Texans season begins tomorrow night and I am glad not to highjack this thread in the mean time. I am sorry. GO TEXANS

NitroGSXR
08-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Getting responces to threads I start and qoutes are different but anyway I thought about it later and decided it was not the best thing to do by then it was too late to turn back. I became curious and became carried away it happens. I should have just PM him instead I just figured he might just think something about me but I hope not. I was probably in the wrong and I am sorry. It's all good now though I am not angry or one to go on the attack normally. The Texans season begins tomorrow night and I am glad not to highjack this thread in the mean time. I am sorry. GO TEXANS

You worry too much. It's all good!

gtexan02
08-14-2010, 11:10 AM

You post quite a bit, and frequently post in the same threads as me. I dont know, I didnt realize I was quoting you more than others. I'll pay more attention if you'd like me to stop. (obviously after this post).

I dont understand it though, exactly. You made a point in one of your other threads about how you felt people weren't responding to your posts. When I quote people its just to show that Im responding to what they are saying.

In this post, you said he didn't quit and there was something with merit behind it. I asked a clarification question, namely if he quit because he lost passion for the game, does that count as being a "quitter"? I was wondering what your opinion on that was.

I'll avoid quoting you from now on if you'd prefer it that way

gary
08-14-2010, 12:29 PM
You post quite a bit, and frequently post in the same threads as me. I dont know, I didnt realize I was quoting you more than others. I'll pay more attention if you'd like me to stop. (obviously after this post).

I dont understand it though, exactly. You made a point in one of your other threads about how you felt people weren't responding to your posts. When I quote people its just to show that Im responding to what they are saying.

In this post, you said he didn't quit and there was something with merit behind it. I asked a clarification question, namely if he quit because he lost passion for the game, does that count as being a "quitter"? I was wondering what your opinion on that was.

I'll avoid quoting you from now on if you'd prefer it that wayDon't worry about it you just keep on quoting me. It's all good.

steelbtexan
08-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Glad Smithiak didn't draft him.

Coffee is going into the ministry.

gtexan02
08-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Don't worry about it you just keep on quoting me. It's all good.

Glad were cool :). Thanks for the pm.

kiwitexansfan
08-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Reminds me of the Napolean Kauffman situation where the call to ministry was stronger than the call to play football.

If he isn't taking any money he hasn't earned, I have nothing but respect for him following his true passion in life.

JB
08-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Glad Smithiak didn't draft him.

Coffee is going into the ministry.

Reminds me of the Napolean Kauffman situation where the call to ministry was stronger than the call to play football.

If he isn't taking any money he hasn't earned, I have nothing but respect for him following his true passion in life.

He said he is going back to school to finish his degree, and then go on and get his Masters. He said nothing about going into the ministry, although he did say his faith led him to quit football.

gary
08-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Glad were cool :). Thanks for the pm.
You're welcome it's no problem.

J_R
08-16-2010, 06:19 PM
49ers sign Brian Westbrook to 1-yr deal (http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-1/49ers-Sign-RB-Brian-Westbrook/aa722191-7f80-4cda-8fec-da85b45012da)

thunderkyss
08-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Wow, they didn't wait long.

I like Singletary, I hope it works out for him.

NitroGSXR
08-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Wow, they didn't wait long.

And THAT is my problem with the Texans and FAs in regards to RBs. 49ers had a hole and they filled it immediately.

J_R
08-16-2010, 06:45 PM
And THAT is my problem with the Texans and FAs in regards to RBs. 49ers had a hole and they filled it immediately.

"Well, we're certainly gonna keep our eyes and ears open and see what's out there but our own guys need more looks and touches too."

GK

Dutchrudder
08-17-2010, 09:36 AM
A league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Westbrook's deal is worth $1.25 million guaranteed, with $1.25 million worth of incentives.

That's peanuts for a decent insurance plan. It's a shame the Texans missed out on him.

thunderkyss
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
That's peanuts for a decent insurance plan. It's a shame the Texans missed out on him.

Maybe the Texans didn't think much of his pass protection.

JB
08-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Maybe the Texans didn't think much of his pass protection.

I think it probably has more to do with his injury history.

thunderkyss
08-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I think it probably has more to do with his injury history.

If it weren't for Ahman Green's history, I'd agree.

gtexan02
08-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Coffee leaves football because he believes God has other plans for him

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/why-glen-coffee-quit-football/

Sounds like he lost passion for the game.

Some great quotes:

Football wasn't Coffee's cup of tea.
Coffee's retirement caused a buzz in the city of SF.
Wish he would have woken up and smelled the Coffee before he signed that contract.