PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak: Tate has had an 'up and down' camp

Texecutioner
08-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Coach Gary Kubiak described rookie Ben Tate's training camp performance thus far as "up and down."
"He’s every bit the talent that we drafted," Kubiak said. "He’s learning to be a pro. He has to catch up because he missed a lot time because he missed OTAs. He needs to know to get his motor going when he leaves out of the locker room and not 30 minutes into practice ... He could help this team if he continues to grow up." We still like Tate in Dynasty leagues, but it would be an upset if he works his way into a major role by the season opener.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/headlines.aspx?sport=NFL

Not the greatest of description of Tate for now, but it's still very early in camp. Can't wait to see how he runs in his first game.

Cjeremy635
08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Coach Gary Kubiak described rookie Ben Tate's training camp performance thus far as "up and down."
"He’s every bit the talent that we drafted," Kubiak said. "He’s learning to be a pro. He has to catch up because he missed a lot time because he missed OTAs. He needs to know to get his motor going when he leaves out of the locker room and not 30 minutes into practice ... He could help this team if he continues to grow up." We still like Tate in Dynasty leagues, but it would be an upset if he works his way into a major role by the season opener.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/headlines.aspx?sport=NFL

Not the greatest of description of Tate for now, but it's still very early in camp. Can't wait to see how he runs in his first game.

What are Dynasty leagues?

Rey
08-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Sounds like Kubiak is preparing us for him not playing a major role..

Then at the end of the season he'll be one of those kids he should have played more

Rey
08-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Sounds like a leauge where you keep your players from year to year??

Texecutioner
08-10-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm not sure what a Dynasty League is. Rotoworld is a Fantasy Football website, but they get their information extremely fast and up to date. I looked and it said that this came from HoustonTexans.com though and that was "their source."

Hervoyel
08-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm not worried about it yet. Young running backs seem to often have some growing up to do and since we have people in front of him who are capable AND he's probably going to have to learn to pass protect better before he even gets a chance to get in there this isn't an issue.

Brisco_County
08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Dynasty leagues are also called keeper leagues. You can keep up to three players at the end of the season, and each player you keep costs you a draft spot three notches up from where you originally got him. That means if you pick up Tate in round 12 this year, you can keep him for next year and only lose a 9th round pick.

Big Lou
08-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Now entering data in to the Kubiak 3000-Kubiak Translator:

"He’s learning to be a pro. He has to catch up because he missed a lot time because he missed OTAs. He needs to know to get his motor going when he leaves out of the locker room and not 30 minutes into practice ... He could help this team if he continues to grow up."

computing.....
computing.....
computing.....

Kubiak 3000: Tate will be cut before the regular season......

Just kidding, but this is pretty worrisome in Kubiak Speak if you ask me.

thunderkyss
08-10-2010, 02:47 PM

Then at the end of the season he'll be one of those kids he should have played more

If we had a Ron Dayne, or a Chris Brown on the Field stinking things up (and I'm a Ron Dayne fan) I would be worried. If Slaton and/or Foster are producing... I don't think it's a big deal.

If Tate isn't turning it on till 30 minutes into practice, then this is the kind of thing the coach should be saying. Especially when he's been praising Foster's approach all summer long.

The1ApplePie
08-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Hopefully we can emmulate Dallas and the Giants (from a few years ago) and use a trio of quality backs effectively.

No More 8-8's
08-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Dynasty leagues are also called keeper leagues. You can keep up to three players at the end of the season, and each player you keep costs you a draft spot three notches up from where you originally got him. That means if you pick up Tate in round 12 this year, you can keep him for next year and only lose a 9th round pick.

Actually Dynasty Leagues are different than Keeper Leagues. Well slightly. Dynasty usually means that once you have the initial draft, you are basically stuck with those same players for years to come. You can only add players via freeagent pickups or rookies. Basically its the closest thing to being your own GM.

ArlingtonTexan
08-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Dynasty leagues are league where you keep most if not your entire roster from year to year. The goal is to be more like a 'real" team in make decisions for multiple years versus short term. Dyansty leagues generally hold drafts somewhere around the NFL draft with primary emphasis on the rookies.

Keeper leagues are a different animal, in that you only keep a set number of players and throw the rest back and hold a draft during the normal august drafting season.

Rey
08-10-2010, 02:50 PM
If we had a Ron Dayne, or a Chris Brown on the Field stinking things up (and I'm a Ron Dayne fan) I would be worried. If Slaton and/or Foster are producing... I don't think it's a big deal.

If Tate isn't turning it on till 30 minutes into practice, then this is the kind of thing the coach should be saying. Especially when he's been praising Foster's approach all summer long.

I was just having fun...

I don't think that his comments mean much at all, other than Tate is a young RB that needs to learn how to be consistent.

I really didn't take much from the quote that Kubes made besides the fact that Tate isn't tearing it up and will probably remain 3rd on the depth chart for the foreseeable future. Nothing that I didn't already know.

Brisco_County
08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I stand corrected. Dynasty leagues sound interesting, but they also sound like they could take all the fun out of it. Plus, all it would take is one manager to go half-ass or quit to really sour the season. I would do an auction draft if I joined one.

Back on topic: I'm not too worried about Kubiak's criticism. He is exactly where a rookie RB should be at this point, and we're not in the same situation with RB's that we were last year.

ArlingtonTexan
08-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I stand corrected. Dynasty leagues sound interesting, but they also sound like they could take all the fun out of it. Plus, all it would take is one manager to go half-ass or quit to really sour the season. I would do an auction draft if I joined one.

Most of them are year round in nature and for hardcore guys who follow the draft and off-season stuff looking for surprise guys. And yes one or two owners who don't pay attention can really hurt a league. I play in more than I am going to admit and commish a couple.

Guess we need to get back to Tate though.

THE NFL
08-10-2010, 03:34 PM
So it appears the Texans used another high draft pick on yet another project player.

IDEXAN
08-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Tate is my one problem with the Texans Draft, atleast the basic philosophy of the Draft which included using a 2nd round pick on a running back (and perhaps even a first round pick if Matthews had been on the Board).
I wanted the Texans to use that #2 on an interior lineman which still has issues icluding the lack of really upper level talent even with the FA acquisition of FA C/G Smith.
Regarding Tate in particular, he seems to be a redundant back with Foster as the entrenched starter ? That's a lot to spend for reserve a running back ?

JB
08-10-2010, 03:36 PM
So it appears the Texans used another high draft pick on yet another project player.

Really? You base that on what? A couple of early training camp comments? Not even a third of the way thru camp. Really?

spurstexanstros
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM

got to be the best first post ever

drewmar74
08-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Agreed. That was really spectacular.

:cow:

THE NFL
08-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Yes JB. I based it exactly on that. The reports from camp are that he isnt getting it. His visions wasnt good in college and it isnt good in his 1st NFL camp.

JB
08-10-2010, 03:52 PM
First time I have heard anything negative about his vision. And Kubiak did not say anything about his vision, or lack of it.

Honoring Earl 34
08-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Yes JB. I based it exactly on that. The reports from camp are that he isnt getting it. His visions wasnt good in college and it isnt good in his 1st NFL camp.

The dude gained 1400 yards last year in the SEC . He ran a 4.39 at 220 lbs at the combine . If the Texans didn't draft him in the 2nd , someone would have .

The fact that he doesn't have to start from day one is a good thing if you ask me . Viva Foster , Viva Slaton .

Texecutioner
08-10-2010, 03:54 PM

Where are these reports about his poor vision? IS there a way that you can find them or link them here?

I've never heard Kubiak bash his vision either.

Brisco_County
08-10-2010, 03:57 PM

Source?

Someone would've taken Tate 2nd round. He was a necessary hedge for our bet on Slaton and Foster, and still is.

Marcus
08-10-2010, 04:00 PM

I'm betting he was one of the regulars who decided to create a new username just to make that statement. Someone in the pink soap club most likely.

THE NFL
08-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Do a little research.. the info is out there.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/RB/Ben-Tate.php

THE NFL
08-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Nope... Im a new guy. Pink Soap crowd? Explain....

JB
08-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Do a little research.. the info is out there.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/RB/Ben-Tate.php

If you post the supposition, then you are the one who needs to provide the links to support that. And the link you supplied here does not say he has poor vision or lacks vision. It merely states he does not have great vision. And that is his opinion.

Texan_Bill
08-10-2010, 04:09 PM

I've been prepared. I don't see Tate touching the ball much more than 5 touches a game.

J_R
If you don't like "negativity" or "realism"(depends on how you view things), you're not gonna like THE NFL as a poster. Check the other board as an example. You'll see. Not saying it's good or bad or anything like that, just sayin'.

THE NFL
JB.. everything is someones opinion.

So Tate doesnt see the holes. He is a 1 cut 1st contact and down runner.

But he is good for a team that uses ZBS.

He is perfect. Greatest RB in NFL history.

Read all the scouting reports and tell me he isnt a project or a limited use back.

THE NFL
08-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Thank you 09. I was invited over here and here I is! Just keeping it real.

:chef:

infantrycak
08-10-2010, 04:13 PM

So the MB has perspective, The NFL is a Titans fan who claims to be a Texans fan as well except for the fact that at HT.com he has never said anything positive about the Texans and instead has spent his entire time poking sticks at the Texans. Negativity is fine - Second Honeymoon is often negative but at least I believe he is a Texans fan. My opinion is The NFL is a tacks fan just trying to stir crap up.

JB
08-10-2010, 04:19 PM
JB.. everything is someones opinion.

So Tate doesnt see the holes. He is a 1 cut 1st contact and down runner.

But he is good for a team that uses ZBS.

He is perfect. Greatest RB in NFL history.

Read all the scouting reports and tell me he isnt a project or a limited use back.

Dude, you are all over the place here. If you want to be negative that's fine.

But if you are going to throw statements out there like we wasted another early round pick on a project, you need to back it up. Nobody is saying Tate is the next Earl or anything, but it is too early to call him a project also.

Marcus
08-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Kubiak is a stickler for his RBs knowing what to do when they don't have the ball. RBs have to know where to be, and who to pick up in blitzing schemes.

I wouldn't be suprised at all if Tate, or any other rookie RB doesn't have that down yet. It will probably take him the whole season to learn it, especially since he's behind from missing the OTAs.

I don't look for him to do anything until next year.

Texan_Bill
08-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I'd bet any issues he's having is related to the speed of the game (-or- practice for that matter.)

Texecutioner
08-10-2010, 04:25 PM
So the MB has perspective, The NFL is a Titans fan who claims to be a Texans fan as well except for the fact that at HT.com he has never said anything positive about the Texans and instead has spent his entire time poking sticks at the Texans. Negativity is fine - Second Honeymoon is often negative but at least I believe he is a Texans fan. My opinion is The NFL is a tacks fan just trying to stir crap up.

I don't know if he's completely a Titan fan just here to ruffle people's feathers just off of what he said in those 6 posts. He might just not be high on Tate as an NFL RB. I think that calling him just another project player though was a little over the top. RB is the one position that plenty of college players can come in and do damage at right away, so to call him a project player the way he did was definitely premature.

infantrycak
08-10-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't know if he's completely a Titan fan just here to ruffle people's feathers just off of what he said in those 6 posts. He might just not be high on Tate as an NFL RB. I think that calling him just another project player though was a little over the top. RB is the one position that plenty of college players can come in and do damage at right away, so to call him a project player the way he did was definitely premature.

I am basing my opinion off of many more posts over at HT.com.

Texecutioner
08-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Oh my bad. You're probably right then. Sounds like another Flaming Sparrow than.

JB
08-10-2010, 04:28 PM

Are you saying he's a troll?

C Madd
08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Rotoworld is a Fantasy Football website, but they get their information extremely fast and up to date. I looked and it said that this came from HoustonTexans.com though and that was "their source."

Rotoworld gets all their information from team websites and city newspapers. At least that's how it was when I worked for them. They are probably much quicker now since I was the only one updating football info when I was working there.

thunderkyss
08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Thank you 09. I was invited over here and here I is! Just keeping it real.

:chef:

Can someone please ban the guy that invited this "person" here?

J/K

Does anyone know how many starts Shonn Greene got last year?

How many carries per game?

Does anyone believe he is a project player?

How many people think Toby Gerhart will start by Game 1?

Game 9?

At all (barring injury)?

hmmmm...

Just don't let Kubiak do anything this stupid I guess.

THE NFL
08-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Infantry... thats your opinon and you are wrong. I have made my position clear on the Titans and the Texans and never hid the fact. I say positive things about the Texans and negative things about the Titans. You and some others choose to ignore it. I am over the top sometimes. I admit that too. But my points are valid regardless of the packaging.

You are a MOD here and you chose to call me out to inflame the situation?

Now it will be full blown flaming. Nice job " lead moderator "

I need to look up the definition of " Moderator " and see what that means.

infantrycak
08-10-2010, 04:34 PM

I won't call him a troll. He seems to have some football knowledge and behaves himself but I think he disingenuously claims to have some interest in the Texans when his real purpose is just to get Texans fans riled up. Folks interact with him as you will so long as he obeys the MB rules and he has at HT.com. I'm not slamming the guy but people will have to decide how they want to respond (hopefully themselves obeying the rules) or put him on ignore as many have done over there.

Infantry... thats your opinon and you are wrong. I have made my position clear on the Titans and the Texans and never hid the fact. I say positive things about the Texans and negative things about the Titans. You and some others choose to ignore it. I am over the top sometimes. I admit that too. But my points are valid regardless of the packaging.

I'm not calling you out. Look what I wrote above. You obey the rules and have football knowledge. My original post was frankly to provide perspective so people didn't flame you more. But like I have my opinion you will have yours.

Texecutioner
08-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Can someone please ban the guy that invited this "person" here?

J/K

Does anyone know how many starts Shonn Greene got last year?

How many carries per game?

Does anyone believe he is a project player?

How many people think Toby Gerhart will start by Game 1?

Game 9?

At all (barring injury)?

hmmmm...

Just don't let Kubiak do anything this stupid I guess.

I wouldn't call those comparable examples to Tate at all right now though.

Greene went to a team that had Jones and Washington on there already who were both proven players and Jones had just come off of his best season of his career. There was no way that he was going to supplant that job from Jones.

Gerhart's on a team with Adrian Peterson. Of course he isn't even dreaming of possibly being able to start.

Tate's on a team where he'd have a very strong chance if he tore it up considering the fact that Slaton is questionable coming off of injury and a down year after his impressive rookie year and Foster hasn't proven anything other than the fact that he had two good games last year and Kubiak likes him right now.

Tate's in a much different situation where he'd have a chance to grab the starting position as oppose to those other two.

Texecutioner
08-10-2010, 04:40 PM

So you are a Texans fan? And since you don't seem to feel that Tate is that good of a prospect, then how do you feel about Foster? Most of the reports have been very positive and he at least has shown strong signs of being a strong RB in two games last season in limited opportunities. Between Foster, Tate, and Slaton wouldn't you agree though that the Texans running game should be pretty good this year or at least be drastically improved?

Hervoyel
08-10-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm betting he was one of the regulars who decided to create a new username just to make that statement. Someone in the pink soap club most likely.

You should let it go Marcus.

Hervoyel
08-10-2010, 04:41 PM

A fine one indeed.

Carr Bombed
08-10-2010, 04:43 PM
:pop:

thunderkyss
08-10-2010, 04:44 PM
I'd bet any issues he's having is related to the speed of the game (-or- practice for that matter.)

He was pretty specific about what issue(s) Tate is having. Pretty much sounded like the antithesis of what Foster is doing.

Kubiak said he needs to learn to be ready to play, when he breaks from the locker room, and not 30 minutes into practice. It's all about being a pro, which I think is a good thing.

It's the same issue he's had with Jacoby, what he loves about Andre & Walter. This isn't anything new, practice like you play, and be a pro at all times.

thunderkyss
08-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Oh my bad. You're probably right then. Sounds like another Flaming Sparrow than.

I'll confirm what Infantrycak is saying about him. Sorta... while I can't confirm he is a Titans' fan, I can also not confirm he is a Texans' fan.

Dutchrudder
08-10-2010, 04:47 PM
What's this 'other forum' you guys keep referring to? Is there an imposter Texans board out there?

:D

Honoring Earl 34
08-10-2010, 04:48 PM
He was pretty specific about what issue(s) Tate is having. Pretty much sounded like the antithesis of what Foster is doing.

Kubiak said he needs to learn to be ready to play, when he breaks from the locker room, and not 30 minutes into practice. It's all about being a pro, which I think is a good thing.

It's the same issue he's had with Jacoby, what he loves about Andre & Walter. This isn't anything new, practice like you play, and be a pro at all times.

I think that Foster picked that up this year. So I look at it this way , Foster kept Montario Hardesty on the pine at UT . Hardesty was a 2nd round pick this year to the Browns I believe . What does that put Foster's value at ?

thunderkyss
08-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Tate's in a much different situation where he'd have a chance to grab the starting position as oppose to those other two.

My point is that even if Tate never starts a game in 2010, or he doesn't take a major share of the carries, that doesn't mean that he is a project player.

And even if he somehow fit your description of project player, it is not unheard of to take a second round pick with a few rough edges.

Texan_Bill
08-10-2010, 05:08 PM

John Harris (1560) has been attending practices. Today he was talking specifically about Kube's comments and Ben Tate. It didn't sound good. Sounds almost though he has a carefree. Harris talked about how Andre stays late after practice just to work with the jugs machine, but Tate (who dropped two passes in one practice is darn near the first guy on the field.

No, no, no!! Not those jugs, you pervs!

This jugs:

http://www.worldsportinggoods.com/images/Worlds_Portable_Cart2.jpg

michaelm
08-10-2010, 05:14 PM

Dynasty leagues are different than keeper leagues. What you described is a keeper league.
In a dynasty league, you keep 100% of your roster going into the next season, but can trade players for draft picks in the next draft.
It's pretty cool, because it keeps even the teams with bad records interested until then end of the season. You always have the ability to trade an older player to a contending team for a draft pick, or a young player with potential.

*edit*
I guess this has already been explained a few times... I guess I should have read a few more posts before replying.

False Start
08-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I think once Ben gets his head straight, learns the system well enough he will be what was expected. (hopefully)

Brisco_County
08-10-2010, 05:26 PM
I think once Ben gets his head straight, learns the system well enough he will be what was expected. (hopefully)

I think it's more about attitude. If you're a 2nd round pick and you're behind on your learning curve, you need to put in the extra effort.

JB
08-10-2010, 05:28 PM

It sounds pretty much like what Arian said he had to overcome last year. The dedication level needed to succeed is way beyond what most of these guys have ever seen. Guys like Foster and Tate have been successful their whole lives before the NFL. It takes some getting used to. It cannot be all that easy to adjust to the speed of the game that the NFL is, and understand Kubiak's playbook, at the same time having your whole lifestyle changed. New city, new friends, everything hits these rookies like a sledgehammer. Some adapt better than others.

thunderkyss
08-10-2010, 06:20 PM
It sounds pretty much like what Arian said he had to overcome last year. The dedication level needed to succeed is way beyond what most of these guys have ever seen. Guys like Foster and Tate have been successful their whole lives before the NFL. It takes some getting used to. It cannot be all that easy to adjust to the speed of the game that the NFL is, and understand Kubiak's playbook, at the same time having your whole lifestyle changed. New city, new friends, everything hits these rookies like a sledgehammer. Some adapt better than others.

I thought at one time, I would be able to play in the NFL. I used to tell myself, & I think Michael Irvin said it, that once I get there I can't relax, and think, "Whew... I made it."

I think many players need to get over that.

JB
08-10-2010, 06:33 PM
I thought at one time, I would be able to play in the NFL. I used to tell myself, & I think Michael Irvin said it, that once I get there I can't relax, and think, "Whew... I made it."

Totally agree. And most are not prepared for the step they are trying to take. It's not just the physical change, but the mental demands plus the physcological change as well. ( don't know if I typed what I was trying to say there). But the rookie comes in often overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. Some guys step it up soon (Slaton, Cushing, Ryans), some take a bit longer (Foster, Brown, Jones), and some never quite get it (TJ, Okam? Okoye?). But I think 1/3 of the way through training camp is way too early to put a label on a rookie.

TexMexMom
08-10-2010, 07:43 PM

If you get over that, you become complacent. You can never get over it. It's what drives you in 100 degree heat, at 5 am and in the 4th quarter when you're dead dog tired. You cannot think you've ever made it. Or you won't.

JB
08-10-2010, 07:53 PM
If you get over that, you become complacent. You can never get over it. It's what drives you in 100 degree heat, at 5 am and in the 4th quarter when you're dead dog tired. You cannot think you've ever made it. Or you won't.

I think that perhaps you are mis-understanding him. I read what he is saying to mean that too many players think that once they have reached that level that they do not need to keep increasing their dedication. Once you have reached the best of the best, it is easy to become complacent. The really good ones never do.

stingray
08-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Real smart to judge a player by half a training camp. :thinking:

THE NFL
08-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I dont think Tate will ever be THE GUY. I think he will be a great addition for Goal line and short yardage situations. He doesnt break away and have big runs. He doesnt have great speed.

MY understanding and from what I have read is the best RB in camp has been Chris Henry.

I dont have alot of faith in Slaton. I think he was a flash in the pan. Foster did his damage late season when it really didnt matter.

I dont have alot of faith in the Texans rushing potential. The Texans O Line is a lass blocking finesse O Line. They dont beat the crap out of you.

Rey
08-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I dont think Tate will ever be THE GUY. I think he will be a great addition for Goal line and short yardage situations. He doesnt break away and have big runs. He doesnt have great speed.

There are a lot of RB's that have been good that didn't have 'great speed'...I don't know if Tate will ever be "the guy"...And really, I don't care if he ever is the main back as long as we have a productive run game.

But Tate's speed is not an issue...He's a bigger back who I believe ran a 4.3 something at the combine...That's not bad

MY understanding and from what I have read is the best RB in camp has been Chris Henry.

Foster has been the best back in camp.

I dont have alot of faith in the Texans rushing potential. The Texans O Line is a lass blocking finesse O Line. They dont beat the crap out of you.

The Texans used pretty much the same system when Slaton racked up all those yards just a few year ago. The ZBS may have it's flaws when the field gets shorter, but in between the twenties it doesn't hinder the run game.

THE NFL
08-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Tate did NOT run a 4.3. He ran a 4.43 HUGE difference.

The reports I have read say that Henry has run better than any of the other RBs in camp.

ReliantTexan
08-10-2010, 10:39 PM

One thing they have in common? They're both excellent for a RB especially one of Ben's size, actually that time is pretty close to what Slaton ran if I remember correctly. You don't have to be the fastest guy on the field to run for some huge gains.

b0ng
08-10-2010, 10:46 PM

The reports I have read say that Henry has run better than any of the other RBs in camp.

So you are saying that you have not attended any of the open camps and are just parroting words you have read on the internet?

stingray
08-10-2010, 11:08 PM

I think you just said it all right there cause Henry is an awful awful running back in an NFL game. Can't put too much stock in camp.

thunderkyss
08-10-2010, 11:18 PM
I think that perhaps you are mis-understanding him. I read what he is saying to mean that too many players think that once they have reached that level that they do not need to keep increasing their dedication. Once you have reached the best of the best, it is easy to become complacent. The really good ones never do.

Exactly, they can't look at getting to the NFL as their destination, as the end of their journey. They need to have something that drives them to be the starter, to be a champion, to be the best of the best, to be in the Hall of Fame.

I know a lot of people who have stopped watching the NFL, because they think the money has gotten too outrageous.

Me, I like the fact that a guy who grew up in the house next to mine (the Babineauxs, Jamaal Charles, Jimmy Johnson, and several others) can one day be a multi-millionaire due to the his drive and determination.

I also like the Emitt Smiths, the Jerry Rices, the Warren Moons, the John Randles, all those that came before them, and all those trying to fill their shoes.

thunderkyss
08-10-2010, 11:41 PM

I dont have alot of faith in Slaton. I think he was a flash in the pan. Foster did his damage late season when it really didnt matter.

That's the beauty of the whole thing. It's not inconceivable that we enter the season with 4 running backs. If Tate is nothing more than a goal-to-go back, that's fine, as long as he excels at it. If Foster isn't the guy we need him to be, we've got Slaton, If Slaton can't get it done, we've got Henry. What are the odds, that none of the four pan out?

How bad would it be, If Foster and Henry open the season getting the Majority of carries? How bad would it be to push Slate & Tate? How bad would it be to have a hungry Slate & Tate ready to step up if something happens to our primary/secondary backs?

I think you're putting too much value in the word finesse. With the cut blocking you'll see, there are going to be 300lb guys throwing their bodies into DLmen all day long. Wintson, Studdard, & Caldwell are going to be mauling people, popping LBs & safeties. Finesse doesn't mean that we're going to be tip-toeing around the defense.

If you think of the power run game as Mike Tyson, think of the ZBS as Anderson Silva.

Thorn
08-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Saturday will tell us a lot. I'm waiting until then before I start making any comments on Tate. Or anything else about the Texans. Practice is one thing, actually playing another team is another.

HouTxFan
08-10-2010, 11:46 PM

I'm curious as to what reports you read. While I've read that Henry has once again had a very good camp, I haven't read that he was better than any of the other backs. In fact, I've read quite a few articles that said Foster appears to have a lock on the job, and that Slaton appears to have recovered from his injury and is ready to reassume a prominent role in the offense. I have read good reports on Henry, but none that suggest he will be the #1 RB come the start of the season.

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2010, 11:49 PM

Ben Tate may never be the guy. You never can tell about these things. But he's a 220 pound back that runs a 4.43 40. That's the 3rd fastest time of any running back at this year's combine and faster than all but 4 of the wide receivers. You can say a lot about this guy but you can't say he's not fast. I mean, you can... but if you do, you're a fool.

You say he doesn't break big runs? He averaged over 4 yards a carry and broke at least a couple of 50+ yard runs last season. He had over 100 yards in a quarter against Arkansas.

Chris Henry has looked good in camp, but that's his history. He always looks good in camp. He hasn't been a game, though.

And you can say what you want about this line but this type of block scheme has at times been just as effective in goal line situations as power blocking schemes.

The main thing is that this year, we have more better running options than any time in our history. Our RBs are deeper than ever and our line will be better as well.

infantrycak
08-11-2010, 12:50 AM

Then link it, excuse me them since it is multiple reports, all us other poor Texans fans haven't heard or witnessed when we have been at the practices. It's the little earth looking button with the little link next to it.

alphajoker
08-11-2010, 02:46 AM
[I]Then link it, excuse me them since it is multiple reports, all us other poor Texans fans haven't heard or witnessed when we have been at the practices. It's the little earth looking button with the little link next to it.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7146622.html

Kaiser Toro
08-11-2010, 08:29 AM

Welcome to TexansTalk!

Could YOU explain what the difference of .13 seconds accounts for on the field? If you could drill down on how it affects hitting the hole in the ZBS scheme and also evading tacklers in a dead sprint that would be terrific. Perhaps you have some video, or you could chart it out, to illustrate the HUGE difference.

We should be linking reports, it is the correct thing to do, since you are only regurgitating someone else work, and gives other member's the ability to understand, not only your intel, but your analysis.

Lastly, given that most folks here go to training camp, all the games and/or live the Texans experience 365 days a year and share here daily, the above would probably be a best practice for you in order to be "adopted" more quickly into the community. With football season here, and the optimism abounding, who wouldn't want to be part of this community? :texflag:

Señor Stan
08-11-2010, 08:45 AM
[I]

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7146622.html

John McClain made the claim on the radio a couple weeks back that Henry was the best he had ever seen in camp. When he was called out on it he backed up a bit, but was still emphatic about his vision, burst, etc.

As for me, I have seen enough of the "looks great in shorts" Babin/Peek/ TJ Texans. (NTTAWWT)

Show me in the games.

gary
08-11-2010, 09:12 AM
I have not heard much about him but I think Jeremiah Johnson is still on the roster too. So, some one should pan out from those five.

THE NFL
08-11-2010, 10:15 AM
We will see how great this O Line and RB corps is come the season.

The Texans have always had alot of back sin camp. Having alot of RB options doesnt mean you have a great running game. if you dont have a great O Line and a talented runner you wont.

Alot of you overvalue guys like Slaton and Foster and Tate, as well as the OLine. What has this OLine done before? Why now all of a sudden are they going to be throwing DLines all over the place. They arent new. The Texans Oline is a pass blocking finesse group. They are big by NFL standards.

I think they will be better, but lets not go to far with this " mauling people " stuff. The Texans arent that team.

76Texan
08-11-2010, 10:23 AM
"He’s every bit the talent that we drafted," Kubiak said.

I did not start a breakdown tape on Tate.
I simply said that he's worthy of his draft status.
There's really no need to break down his games.
He's a solid all-around back.
As long as he stays healthy he will have a solid NFL career.
He may not be IT, but he's the best prospect at RB the Texans ever had, bar none!

A good combination of power and speed.
Can make guys miss to break the big ones as well as fight for extra yardage with defenders hanging onto him.
Can catch the ball. Can block.
Good vision to make the correct cut.
And yet, he also knows how to use his blockers.
Overall, he knows when to plow straight ahead, and when he should wait just a hair for the block to develop.

He was very good at Auburn.
Can he make the transition to the NFL?
That remains to be seen.
But from the look of it, he earned the right to be drafted in the 2nd round.

I had reviewed pretty much all of his games in his senior year - including all the conference games.
And I did read pretty much all the reports that were out there (including all the major ones.)

But, hey, it's still just one guy's opinion! :tiphat:

gary
08-11-2010, 10:25 AM

The Texans have always had alot of back sin camp. Having alot of RB options doesnt mean you have a great running game. if you dont have a great O Line and a talented runner you wont.

Alot of you overvalue guys like Slaton and Foster and Tate, as well as the OLine. What has this OLine done before? Why now all of a sudden are they going to be throwing DLines all over the place. They arent new. The Texans Oline is a pass blocking finesse group. They are big by NFL standards.

I think they will be better, but lets not go to far with this " mauling people " stuff. The Texans arent that team.
Explain why they were just one win away from the playoffs last season. You say they'll be better well, if they are any better they'll be in the post season which is all I care about. Neg rep for you from me.

rmartin65
08-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Alot of you overvalue guys like Slaton and Foster and Tate, as well as the OLine.

I just want to deal with this line here. What has Henry done? I mean, in an actual game? Slaton rushed for over 1200 yards his rookie season (I forget the actual number), and Foster tore it up the last 2 games. Henry has 122 yards in his career, and a 3.8 average per carry.

eriadoc
08-11-2010, 10:30 AM
He's a solid all-around back.
As long as he stays healthy he will have a solid NFL career.
He may not be IT, but he's the best prospect at RB the Texans ever had, bar none!

A good combination of power and speed.
Can make guys miss to break the big ones as well as fight for extra yardage with defenders hanging onto him.
Can catch the ball. Can block.
Good vision to make the correct cut.
And yet, he also knows how to use his blockers.
Overall, he knows when to plow straight ahead, and when he should wait just a hair for the block to develop.

None of that really matters if he doesn't have his head on straight. When we hear things about how he doesn't get his motor running right away, I have to question some things about him. You get a shot to win the job in TC, you better take it. He's not. All the physical stuff won't matter if his mind's not right.

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2010, 10:39 AM

Dude.

What the hell are you talking about? The only person talking about mauling people is you. No one here said our offensive line was going to maul anyone.

But Slaton and this offensive line did have a respectable season a couple of years ago and the line we have today is better than the line we had then. Even last year, the problem wasn't as much with the line not opening the seams as it was with the running backs not reading the holes correctly. A lot of yardage was left on the field last year. Foster's production at the end of the season showed that the offensive line was doing its job.

This year's stable of running backs is much more talented that the running backs of previous years. A fat Steve Slaton and Chris Brown and Ryan Moats vs. a quicker Steve Slaton and Ben Tate and Arian Foster... who you gonna take?

We're not going to maul people. We're not going to throw defensive lines all over the place. We don't have to. We're going to be better than last year. Probably significantly better.

gary
08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Dude.

What the hell are you talking about? The only person talking about mauling people is you. No one here said our offensive line was going to maul anyone.

But Slaton and this offensive line did have a respectable season a couple of years ago and the line we have today is better than the line we had then. Even last year, the problem wasn't as much with the line not opening the seams as it was with the running backs not reading the holes correctly. A lot of yardage was left on the field last year. Foster's production at the end of the season showed that the offensive line was doing its job.

This year's stable of running backs is much more talented that the running backs of previous years. A fat Steve Slaton and Chris Brown and Ryan Moats vs. a quicker Steve Slaton and Ben Tate and Arian Foster... who you gonna take?

We're not going to maul people. We're not going to throw defensive lines all over the place. We don't have to. We're going to be better than last year. Probably significantly better.
Just disregard him TPN.

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Just disregard him TPN.

Aw, Gary. What's wrong with taking a troll for a stroll?

:kitten:

gary
08-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Aw, Gary. What's wrong with taking a troll for a stroll?

:kitten:
He does know what he's talking about but be my guest if you'd like.

76Texan
08-11-2010, 10:53 AM

I think they will be better, but lets not go to far with this " mauling people " stuff. The Texans arent that team.Where did you get all these stuffs about mauling and throwing people around?

The ZBS is predicated on "not to lose" yardage if possible, and then breaking for a medium run when the back can find the hole (it may be small) quickly.
And when he receives a 2nd level block from a releasing lineman (or TE) and/or his receiver(s), he could break a big one.

Slaton's rookie year was an example.

And may I remind you that the Niners of old built a dynasty with smaller lines (on both sides of the ball; they were even smaller than the Texans as compare with the NFL standard at the time.)
Roger Craig made All-Pro and was in the Pro-Bowl 4 times behind those TINY O-linemen.

On the other side of the ball, in 1984, for example, their D ranked first against scoring, and 7th in yard allowed.
The NT Tuiasosopo weighed 255 lbs and he was their biggest!

The Colts are very comparable to the Texans (on both sides of the ball).
But James had some good years.
Addai also had a couple of productive years until he was injured in his third and hasn't looked the same).

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2010, 10:54 AM
He does know what he's talking about but be my guest if you'd like.

If he says that we said that our offensive line was a bunch of maulers that were going to throw opposing defensive lines around the field like rag dolls, then he doesn't know what he's talking about.

If he thinks that this group of running backs is of the same talent level of the groups of running backs we've had in the past, then he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Texecutioner
08-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Rotoworld gets all their information from team websites and city newspapers. At least that's how it was when I worked for them. They are probably much quicker now since I was the only one updating football info when I was working there.

What was your job there? Over the last two years I've pretty much followed most of what Chris Rosenthal puts in his weekly rankings. He's the best guy out there for FF advice to me. Other than that though, Roto always has the quickest updates as to depth chart changes, coaching comments, and just random info that you need to know.

How did you get a job there?

76Texan
08-11-2010, 10:56 AM
None of that really matters if he doesn't have his head on straight. When we hear things about how he doesn't get his motor running right away, I have to question some things about him. You get a shot to win the job in TC, you better take it. He's not. All the physical stuff won't matter if his mind's not right.

Let's not forget that he is coming back from a hamstring injury.

And IMHO, I think Kubiak wanted to build the confidence of the other guys too. We have a lot of young backs.

gary
08-11-2010, 10:58 AM
If he says that we said that our offensive line was a bunch of maulers that were going to throw opposing defensive lines around the field like rag dolls, then he doesn't know what he's talking about.

If he thinks that this group of running backs is of the same talent level of the groups of running backs we've had in the past, then he doesn't know what he's talking about.I left the word not out.:)

Texecutioner
08-11-2010, 11:04 AM

Earnest Graham, Willis Mcgahee, Marion Barber, Ronnie Brown, Joseph Addai, Lendale White, Brandon Jacobs, and many many others have all been similar backs that didn't have a ton of break away speed to where they hit the HR plays regularly. All of them have been very good and effective runners in between the tackles though and have been able to have strong roles on their teams in instances where they didn't have to be the main back. Sometimes those slower guys that are strong bangers in between the tackles are some of the most effective backs to have in the NFL.

Hell, if Tate could end up playing a role similar to Marion Barber over the last 5 years I'd be just fine with that.

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2010, 11:07 AM
I left the word not out.:)

LOL.

That's a pretty important word. :)

JB
08-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Earnest Graham, Willis Mcgahee, Marion Barber, Ronnie Brown, Joseph Addai, Lendale White, Brandon Jacobs, and many many others have all been similar backs that didn't have a ton of break away speed to where they hit the HR plays regularly. All of them have been very good and effective runners in between the tackles though and have been able to have strong roles on their teams in instances where they didn't have to be the main back. Sometimes those slower guys that are strong bangers in between the tackles are some of the most effective backs to have in the NFL.

Hell, if Tate could end up playing a role similar to Marion Barber over the last 5 years I'd be just fine with that.

I think you could put Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton in that grouping as well.

gary
08-11-2010, 11:11 AM
lol.

That's a pretty important word. :)lol.

C Madd
08-11-2010, 12:50 PM
What was your job there? Over the last two years I've pretty much followed most of what Chris Rosenthal puts in his weekly rankings. He's the best guy out there for FF advice to me. Other than that though, Roto always has the quickest updates as to depth chart changes, coaching comments, and just random info that you need to know.

How did you get a job there?

This was in 2001 so I never talked to Rosenthal. There were only two guys running the site at the time and it was only getting about 100k hits per month, according to them. I played a fantasy baseball game called Baseball Challenge with both guys, Matthew Pouliot and Troy Beech. I'm not sure if Beech still works there but he took care of all the advertising while Matthew did most of the article writing. Troy asked me if I wanted to write one day and I submitted a sample of my writing. They hired me to do the updates for baseball at first, then it progressed to football and writing a few fantasy football articles.

I was supposed to start profit sharing after a certain amount of time but I quit to focus on college. Now they're huge and my college degree isn't helping find a job in this economy. :pissed:

All the writers they have now are so much better than me, anyways. They probably would have to had given me a different job or fired me.

TexMexMom
08-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Mr. THE NFL, I'm not sure if you're just trying to stir the pot or not. It has made for good conversation though. That's all I'm interested in. But I'm willing to throw my 2 cents in!

First, I watched a lot of Steve Slaton when he was at WV. I watched him tear up a lot of tough defenses. I watched him some (admittedly not as much) his rookie year with the Texans but by all accounts, he was nothing short of spectacular. Ben Tate's numbers at Auburn were very impressive and he played against arguably some of the toughest defenses in the country in the SEC and still put up strong numbers. Arian Foster put up some of the same numbers against some of those same defenses in the SEC during his time at Tennessee. I watched a little bit of Jeremiah Johnson at Oregon and he can run the ball as well, has a vicious stiff arm. I know less about Henry but he appears to be hungry.

I think this is a pretty strong testimony to the backfield we have. They're all potentially good backs. It's all got to be settled on the field of course, but I think it's a great place to start.

I don't think you can downplay our OL as I think we'll have a little more depth than last year. This Texan team is pretty young. But they're talented as most anyone out there with enough veteran leadership to get further than they ever have. I know playoffs is everyone's measuring stick, but this team wants more.

One thing I've learned about football is that one can never ever measure the size of man's heart and I think this team collectively is hungry. And it's going to be fun to watch.

JB
08-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Great post TexMexMom! That is how I feel about it as well. This team has never had the depth it has now. And all the players are excited about this year. Following them on twitter lets you know how pumped up they are.

HOU-TEX
08-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Mr. THE NFL, I'm not sure if you're just trying to stir the pot or not. It has made for good conversation though. That's all I'm interested in. But I'm willing to throw my 2 cents in!

First, I watched a lot of Steve Slaton when he was at WV. I watched him tear up a lot of tough defenses. I watched him some (admittedly not as much) his rookie year with the Texans but by all accounts, he was nothing short of spectacular. Ben Tate's numbers at Auburn were very impressive and he played against arguably some of the toughest defenses in the country in the SEC and still put up strong numbers. Arian Foster put up some of the same numbers against some of those same defenses in the SEC during his time at Tennessee. I watched a little bit of Jeremiah Johnson at Oregon and he can run the ball as well, has a vicious stiff arm. I know less about Henry but he appears to be hungry.

I think this is a pretty strong testimony to the backfield we have. They're all potentially good backs. It's all got to be settled on the field of course, but I think it's a great place to start.

I don't think you can downplay our OL as I think we'll have a little more depth than last year. This Texan team is pretty young. But they're talented as most anyone out there with enough veteran leadership to get further than they ever have. I know playoffs is everyone's measuring stick, but this team wants more.

One thing I've learned about football is that one can never ever measure the size of man's heart and I think this team collectively is hungry. And it's going to be fun to watch.

Just wanted to tell you Arian is looking awesome. I hope he continues to impress everybody, he deserves it. Going by his comments on twitter and your posts here on the board, y'all seem like great people. Good luck to the both of you.

Texecutioner
08-11-2010, 01:38 PM
This was in 2001 so I never talked to Rosenthal. There were only two guys running the site at the time and it was only getting about 100k hits per month, according to them. I played a fantasy baseball game called Baseball Challenge with both guys, Matthew Pouliot and Troy Beech. I'm not sure if Beech still works there but he took care of all the advertising while Matthew did most of the article writing. Troy asked me if I wanted to write one day and I submitted a sample of my writing. They hired me to do the updates for baseball at first, then it progressed to football and writing a few fantasy football articles.

I was supposed to start profit sharing after a certain amount of time but I quit to focus on college. Now they're huge and my college degree isn't helping find a job in this economy. :pissed:

All the writers they have now are so much better than me, anyways. They probably would have to had given me a different job or fired me.

Man, that's very interesting C Madd. To think that you were messing with those guys in their earlier stages is funny and cool at the same time. Yeah, Roto is shit as far as info though man. I started reading most of Rosenthal's stuff and all of their updates about two years ago and I've won my Fantasy Leagues both seasons and I play against some Fantasy Football Lions man. Guys that take this stuff extremely seriously. We have rivalries around our league man. Guys that really hate each other through this stuff. Lol!!!

That would be cool to have job writing FF articles though. Did you ever persue that in any other type of way after that?

C Madd
08-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Haven't looked into writing again since that time. I ended up with a degree in finance so that was my primary focus for a while. I'd love to get back into sports writing again, though, whether it be about the Texans, the NFL in general or fantasy football. Even if no one reads it, writing is something that you can feel good about when you have a finished product.

Maybe I'll just start posting here more.

thunderkyss
08-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I have not heard much about him but I think Jeremiah Johnson is still on the roster too. So, some one should pan out from those five.

JJ is there, and best case scenario, we can stash him on the practice squad again. If something takes one of the other 4 out, one isn't performing, injury, suspension of some sort, we can bump JJ up. None of the other guys are PS eligible, I think.

thunderkyss
08-11-2010, 04:36 PM

the adverb "too" would be appropriate here, as a modifier to the verb go.

I'm just telling you what I saw. Winston & Studdard are maulers as they have mauled members of the opposing defense, most especially at the end of the season.

Dude.

Sorry, that was me.

gary
08-11-2010, 04:39 PM
JJ is there, and best case scenario, we can stash him on the practice squad again. If something takes one of the other 4 out, one isn't performing, injury, suspension of some sort, we can bump JJ up. None of the other guys are PS eligible, I think.
One of them should work out which is my point.

76Texan
08-11-2010, 10:36 PM

I like your post! :splits:

Really feel bad about the things you had to endure on the Volunteers board.

THE NFL
08-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Let me back up a bit. I dont really have a problem with the stable of RB's the Texans have. They are great, but they arent trash either. They are decent backs. Its Kubiak. I am not a Kubiak fan. I think he was a Draytonish former Houston Boy hire more about PR than what was best for the Franchise. I think he coaches scared and makes bad decisions and is a horrible clock manager.

What is saving Kubiak is 2 guys.. Schaub and Johnson.

I just dont have alot of faith in him taking this team to the next level. What they win, they win in spite of him.

76Texan
08-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Let me back up a bit. I dont really have a problem with the stable of RB's the Texans have. They are great, but they arent trash either. They are decent backs. Its Kubiak. I am not a Kubiak fan. I think he was a Draytonish former Houston Boy hire more about PR than what was best for the Franchise. I think he coaches scared and makes bad decisions and is a horrible clock manager.

I just dont have alot of faith in him taking this team to the next level. What they win, they win in spite of him.
You are changing the subject, my friend!

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2010, 10:08 AM

There are plenty of people here who aren't Kubiak fans. I'm personally not one of them but I understand that there are people who think Kubiak should have been fired and the reasons they think that. In the offseason, we had a ton of threads arguing the subject back and forth.

But just because you're not a Kubiak fan doesn't mean that you should look at the Texans through sh%t colored glasses and take a cynical view of every player and every move they make.

To me, this team looks like an improvement of last year's team which was an improvement of the team from the year before, etc. Last year's team was good enough to make the playoffs. This year's team, despite the so-call more difficult schedule, should make it.

thunderkyss
08-12-2010, 10:55 AM

Both Schaub & Johnson are better players than they were before Kubiak. I understand they each work on their own to get better, but I have to believe Kubiak fosters that work ethic, and pushes them both as well. Andre used to drop a lot of balls. I can only think of one he dropped in '09, and the determination, and raw power he's displayed this year, to get the ball, and get into the endzone, I believe are new aspects of his game, that I believe Kubiak, or one of the coaches Kubiak brought, helped develop in Andre. He's still a quiet leader, but his actions are much louder today, than they were even two years ago.

Schaub is another one. As late as the SF game last year, you could still see Schaub taking what the defense gave him. A broken play was a broken play. Past the halfway mark, he wasn't waiting for the game to come to him, he was much more assertive, and was actually directing the outcome of more and more plays. If he got chased out of the pocket, he didn't look to throw the ball away, he was looking to make a play, and he made several plays. Even from the pocket, although his sack numbers went down, from being more decisive, he's also taking that last second hit, and making a perfect pass at the same time.

You can say those improvements in their games are in spite of their HC, but I find that hard to believe. Similar developments have been happening all over the field, on both sides of the ball. Jacoby, Barber, Winston, Studdard, just to name a few were playing much better at the end of the season, than they were at the beginning of the season.

newtexan
08-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I like Ben Tate a lot, but i think he struggles his first year, this will be the year Chris Henry emerge and be the back everyone thought he'd be, i'm talking 1000 yd. rusher if he gets touches early.

stingray
08-12-2010, 11:20 AM
I like Ben Tate a lot, but i think he struggles his first year, this will be the year Chris Henry emerge and be the back everyone thought he'd be, i'm talking 1000 yd. rusher if he gets touches early.

:spit:

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2010, 12:40 PM

Chris? Is that you?

newtexan
08-12-2010, 01:17 PM
nope, sorry pencil neck.

rmartin65
08-12-2010, 01:26 PM
What is with these new posters and Chris Henry?

The guy is not a pro back. Before the combine of his draft, he was a nobody. After the combine, a second round pick. A couple years later, and he has a 3.8 yards per carry. 3 TDs. He looks good in every camp, but never in a game.

DexmanC
08-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Both Schaub & Johnson are better players than they were before Kubiak. I understand they each work on their own to get better, but I have to believe Kubiak fosters that work ethic, and pushes them both as well. Andre used to drop a lot of balls. I can only think of one he dropped in '09, and the determination, and raw power he's displayed this year, to get the ball, and get into the endzone, I believe are new aspects of his game, that I believe Kubiak, or one of the coaches Kubiak brought, helped develop in Andre. He's still a quiet leader, but his actions are much louder today, than they were even two years ago.

Schaub is another one. As late as the SF game last year, you could still see Schaub taking what the defense gave him. A broken play was a broken play. Past the halfway mark, he wasn't waiting for the game to come to him, he was much more assertive, and was actually directing the outcome of more and more plays. If he got chased out of the pocket, he didn't look to throw the ball away, he was looking to make a play, and he made several plays. Even from the pocket, although his sack numbers went down, from being more decisive, he's also taking that last second hit, and making a perfect pass at the same time.

You can say those improvements in their games are in spite of their HC, but I find that hard to believe. Similar developments have been happening all over the field, on both sides of the ball. Jacoby, Barber, Winston, Studdard, just to name a few were playing much better at the end of the season, than they were at the beginning of the season.

I'm not the biggest Kubiak fan; yet, I've tempered by anti-Kubiak sentiment
after training camp started. When you watch training camp on
the NFL Network, other teams are "live" during their practices.

The last two years, at The Steelers and home for The Jets, our team
looked like it forgot how to tackle. They were physically manhandled
on both sides of the ball for 4 quarters to start the season. Although
the enthusiasm is high, I'm still in a "wait 'till I see it" mindstate with
this Kubiak-led squad.

No one wants to be more wrong about the man than me. It's time he
puts Houston Football back on the NFL map.

Texecutioner
08-12-2010, 01:40 PM
What is with these new posters and Chris Henry?

The guy is not a pro back. Before the combine of his draft, he was a nobody. After the combine, a second round pick. A couple years later, and he has a 3.8 yards per carry. 3 TDs. He looks good in every camp, but never in a game.

Yeah, I'm wondering myself. Henry hasn't shown anything in this league since he's been in the NFL.

thunderkyss
08-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm not the biggest Kubiak fan; yet, I've tempered by anti-Kubiak sentiment
after training camp started. When you watch training camp on
the NFL Network, other teams are "live" during their practices.

The last two years, at The Steelers and home for The Jets, our team
looked like it forgot how to tackle. They were physically manhandled
on both sides of the ball for 4 quarters to start the season. Although
the enthusiasm is high, I'm still in a "wait 'till I see it" mindstate with
this Kubiak-led squad.

No one wants to be more wrong about the man than me. It's time he
puts Houston Football back on the NFL map.

DexmanC, I've never denied that Gary Kubiak has problems. The problem you point out here, is definitely a big one.

I've just been of the mindset, that he's doing (and has done) more good than harm since he's been here. To me, this looks like a championship team. Last year, they looked very good, despite making mistakes at key points in the games. Yes, some of that is Kubiak, but I also believe some of it is young players. When you look at how young we are, I find it hard to not believe that youth is/was the biggest factor. At the same time, that youth is going to be a big plus for us in the future.

TexMexMom
08-12-2010, 03:14 PM
I've just been of the mindset, that he's doing (and has done) more good than harm since he's been here. To me, this looks like a championship team. Last year, they looked very good, despite making mistakes at key points in the games. Yes, some of that is Kubiak, but I also believe some of it is young players. When you look at how young we are, I find it hard to believe that youth is/was the biggest factor. At the same time, that youth is going to be a big plus for us in the future.

I agree. I think, while we have some excellent veteran leadership in good spots, the youth on this team is what is helping change the landscape and that should come together this season. Will there still be some "young" mistakes? Absolutely. The proof in the pudding will be how everyone responds after those mistakes are made. My hope is they don't panic and just ride it out. It's going to be a fun thing to watch, IMO.

b0ng
08-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Honestly if Tate struggles this year, people are going to call him a bust (on this very board, in fact). Arian Foster and Slaton are going to have to provide a significant 1-2 punch to keep Kubes from putting his new toy into play. I think if we haven't seen enough of Tate by the end of the season to properly evaluate his talent then that means that Foster/Slaton ran us into the playoffs.

Understanding this, preseason is going to be huge for our second round pick because he may play his way into more snaps. I remember Slaton's first preseason. Dude was on FIYAH.

Señor Stan
08-13-2010, 02:56 PM
I remember Slaton's first preseason. Dude was on FIYAH.

That didn't turn out so well for me.

Sincerely,

swtbound07's hat

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=979621&postcount=1

dc_txtech
08-13-2010, 03:09 PM
That didn't turn out so well for me.

Sincerely,

swtbound07's hat

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=979621&postcount=1

Still waiting on that broadcast...

Texecutioner
08-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Still waiting on that broadcast...

I second this. :foottap:

Rey
09-16-2010, 11:21 PM

You were saying?

GNTLEWOLF
09-16-2010, 11:47 PM
You were saying?

Rey...Dude it's just one game. Not nearly enough to be gloating. This could just as easily an illusion brought on by our playing a Colt team that really sucked. Let's wait a few games to say "I told you so."

Rey
09-17-2010, 12:09 AM
Rey...Dude it's just one game. Not nearly enough to be gloating. This could just as easily an illusion brought on by our playing a Colt team that really sucked. Let's wait a few games to say "I told you so."

Who gloating? I'm not even saying " told you so"...because I actually didn't tell him anything...

But if you tell me I'm not going to knock anyone out, and I KO the first dude I step in the ring with in 10 seconds then you were wrong...

I didn't imagine Foster running for 230 so no...It wasn't an illusion...

GNTLEWOLF
09-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Who gloating? I'm not even saying " told you so"...because I actually didn't tell him anything...

But if you tell me I'm not going to knock anyone out, and I KO the first dude I step in the ring with in 10 seconds then you were wrong...

I didn't imagine Foster running for 230 so no...It wasn't an illusion...

I'm not saying it was an illusion and I'm with you on the enthusiam. I'm just saying let's get a few games under our belt...more concrete for the argument... its all good

thunderkyss
09-17-2010, 07:41 AM
I think the point is that The NFL said it wasn't going to happen, because it never happened before. Wether it is real or not isn't the question.

If The NFL said, "Rey doesn't have the power to knock a guy out with one punch. He's never done it before, therefore I won't believe it till I see it." and Rey knocks the first guy out with one punch, then it's obvious Rey does have that power, even though he is the same guy from before.

I think that was a very good analogy, and fits very well here.