PDA

View Full Version : Why the McLain hate???

nytexan
08-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm not trying to defend him, I'm just curious when I see all the John McLain bashing that goes on especially here. Since the Texans have arrived he's been the beat writer for the team. Which normally means he's passing on news from the Texans and occasionally passes out an opinion as opposed to a Columnist who passes out opinions.

Is he the problem or are your expectations of what he should be doling out not what a beat writer does???

Speaking of Columnists, I caught this on the Dallas paper from R. Gosselin. He has his NFL rankings on hand. He also commented in a Cowboy column how the Texans are a Superbowl contender this year. Normally I don't go haywire over rankings but I do enjoy and respect his work.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/080810dnsponflrankings.2596962.html (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/080810dnsponflrankings.2596962.html)

JB
08-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Gosselin is a fine reporter and probably the best mock drafter out there.

McClain had ties with the Oilers, and was a good reporter when they were here. But he has no ties with the Texans, and often just posts his opinions. Many others get facts before he does. There are better sources for Texans info.

Pollardized
08-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I have no faith in anyone who ranks the cowbitches that high... :nolisten:

Wolf
08-08-2010, 07:30 PM
McClain ,to me at least, is more hollywoodish and just likes to do entertaining stories and nothing that really makes me want to read his stories and they seem to regurgitate what the national media is already putting out there.

John has his "style" but his blogs are more "hey kubiak, wants to run the ball better, what do you think?

Of course when you have Steph, AJ, Chris and I apologize that I am missing others

they come in and do a way better job in their blogs, they put some insight,facts and a lot more information

and heck their blogs seem to come out with information quicker than the chron writers anyway

Texan_Bill
08-08-2010, 07:31 PM
McLame is a great reporter for the Tinnbrreds.. :kitten:

Pollardized
08-08-2010, 07:49 PM
McLame is a great reporter for the Tinnbrreds.. :kitten:

And his voice just really gets on my nerves....

thunderkyss
08-08-2010, 08:19 PM
8. Houston: Bernard Pollard is determined to make the most of his fresh start in Houston. Cut by Kansas City before last season, Pollard signed with the Texans a month later and helped transform their defense into one of the league's best over the last 13 games of the season. – AP

I like what this guy has to say.

I think McClain's biggest problem, is that with all his credentials and "contacts" he can't get into the Texans' locker room.

I don't hate the man, I love what he did for Warren Moon. But he just seems to be a day late, and a dollar short on Texans' news.

Now, Richard Justice... that's the guy these fans seem to hate.

m5kwatts
08-08-2010, 08:23 PM
McClain is a Texan, he's one of our own, I like him for who he is not necessarily what his opinions are or what he says. He's not a douche bag out of towner east coast hack that thinks football revolves around the NFC East and that the Texans are just a cute little thing only important to Houston. There's too many bad members of the Houston sports media to pick on John McClain.

And Gosselin's a good read because he recognizes talent. He has a good understanding of players when they come into the league whether they're 1st rounders or undrafted free agents. If you look at his rankings they really reflect more of the talent on the teams. He recognizes the talent on the Texans and thats why they're ranked 8th.

Pollardized
08-08-2010, 08:26 PM
I like Gosselin's view on the Texans. But the cowbitches #2? Nope....

ProximoMetalica
08-08-2010, 11:22 PM
John McClain does not bother me too much, except for the fact that he is a name dropper.

I cannot stand Jerome Solomon or however you spell his name. He is so anti-Houston, I am not sure why he lives here or why the Chronicle keeps him onboard. He is an *****!

Richard Justice is just such a flip flop artist from one day to the next. Sometimes I think he as already gone senile. One day he will write a commentary about how Drayton is such a good owner and the next day he is telling us the complete opposite. Is he serious or is he just trying to drive us crazy?

Hagar
08-08-2010, 11:46 PM
I've never had a problem with John McLain, but it seems the national media is closer to the Texans locker room then him.

Now Justice on the other hand reads worse then he is personally. I hate his column, but his videos are better. I find that he explains himself better in his videos then in his writting.

Of course my favorite Chron reporter is Anna Megan. Granted her pieces are mostly fluff, well all fluff, but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Brisco_County
08-08-2010, 11:59 PM
The reason McClain receives so much criticism is because the value of his reporting and blogging has diminished to near worthlessness, which is made obvious to readers by the contrast between his current and past writing. I'm talking recent past, not Oilers.

Even three years ago, I found a lot of value in his blog. He provided insightful information and opinions. Now it's just bland and generalized. His chat sessions offer no substance-- just knocking down questions without answering them. He has even stopped doing his NFL Notebook, which I used to link in emails to my friends. It just seems he isn't concentrating on his day job anymore.

I wish him much success in his peripheral projects and movie stuff, but his role at Chron needs to be reduced.

Hookem Horns
08-09-2010, 01:17 AM
McClain caught a lot of flak for being a pro Bud Adams, Titans guy. Though to his credit he does take the time to reply back and respond to those who were hating on him for that. We had some exchanges in the past and as a result some of us here go to know him a little better. Despite what one thinks about him professionally, personally JM is a pretty good guy.

nytexan
08-09-2010, 05:32 AM
John has his "style" but his blogs are more "hey kubiak, wants to run the ball better, what do you think?

Of course when you have Steph, AJ, Chris and I apologize that I am missing others

they come in and do a way better job in their blogs, they put some insight,facts and a lot more information

and heck their blogs seem to come out with information quicker than the chron writers anyway

I agree with you concerning the other bloggers but I take that as dealing with different audiences. Steph, AJ, Chris, LZ are speaking to us diehard fans (sorry Chris couldn't resist) who are starving for info while McLain is catering to a general audience that's happy with some of the fluff he puts out. I'm guessing that the others would love to have the hits on their blog that McLain gets.

I also agree with M5kwatts in that he comes across as a Texan and not a full of themselves yankee even though I was born up there myself. McLain is far from the worst guy to listen to and comes across as a regular joe.

gtexan02
08-09-2010, 07:51 AM
The thing that bothers me about McClain is his apparent attitude and mannerisms. He frequently comes off as disgruntled, rude, and short. He answers in as few words as possible, and rarely elaborates. If you suggest "Hey, maybe the Texans would do well to try <this> out" he might just reply "No."

He seems to believe that everything he says or believes is 100% truth, and nothing he disagrees with could possibly have any validity.

I'd like him a lot more if he simply seemed to put more effort or enthusiasm into his work. As it is, I find myself getting very frustrated when listening or asking him things

El Tejano
08-09-2010, 08:50 AM
I agree with most who say Mclain isn't as ground breaking with The Texans as he was with The Oilers. Living in Austin, I depended on him to bring me Oiler news because our paper didn't cover them like they did The Cowboys.

However, it is unfair to compare his coverage with both teams. How many of you had access to player info on the internet back in 1990? Most of the reason we see the news we get is because we got websites like KFFL.com or even NFL.com etc...

Hervoyel
08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
I stopped interacting with McClain (not that I ever did much anyway) and find that I enjoy his coverage a lot more than I did when I tried to engage him in any kind of debate or get him to speak in greater detail about a story. He's not the guy to do that with and I don't think there is anything to be gained by expecting that kind of stuff out of him. He's been the same writer pretty much all of my life and in the old days with the Oilers I enjoyed reading whatever I could get out of him on them. Frankly I think the problem is more about all of us and our expectations vs John McClain and how he does his job in 2010. I think he still covers the local team the way he did in the old days but as people have already pointed out he doesn't have the same level of access or contacts with the Texans that he did with the Oilers. At the same time the demands on him are much greater. He used to write a couple of stories a week and answer some mail. Now he has to do that plus we expect him to blog, chat with fans once a week or so, and do his little Chron.com videos, talk on the radio, and anything else he can do. It's just not enough from our perspectives. He's a 80's-90's writer covering a team in the internet age and I don't think he's a great fit for it.

It's like he's accustomed to operating in a medium that goes one way (from him to us) and he doesn't do as well when his readers can interact with him to the extent they can today.

drs23
08-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I stopped interacting with McClain (not that I ever did much anyway) and find that I enjoy his coverage a lot more than I did when I tried to engage him in any kind of debate or get him to speak in greater detail about a story. He's not the guy to do that with and I don't think there is anything to be gained by expecting that kind of stuff out of him. He's been the same writer pretty much all of my life and in the old days with the Oilers I enjoyed reading whatever I could get out of him on them. Frankly I think the problem is more about all of us and our expectations vs John McClain and how he does his job in 2010. I think he still covers the local team the way he did in the old days but as people have already pointed out he doesn't have the same level of access or contacts with the Texans that he did with the Oilers. At the same time the demands on him are much greater. He used to write a couple of stories a week and answer some mail. Now he has to do that plus we expect him to blog, chat with fans once a week or so, and do his little Chron.com videos, talk on the radio, and anything else he can do. It's just not enough from our perspectives. He's a 80's-90's writer covering a team in the internet age and I don't think he's a great fit for it.

It's like he's accustomed to operating in a medium that goes one way (from him to us) and he doesn't do as well when his readers can interact with him to the extent they can today.

:goodpost: Excellent analogy

WWJD
08-09-2010, 10:23 AM
John is a nice man. I don't always agree with what he writes and I get real tired of all the silly stuff they talk about on 610 but I have the option of not reading it or turning the radio off. So it's all good.

houstonspartan
08-09-2010, 10:46 AM
John McClain does not bother me too much, except for the fact that he is a name dropper.

I cannot stand Jerome Solomon or however you spell his name. He is so anti-Houston, I am not sure why he lives here or why the Chronicle keeps him onboard. He is an *****!

Richard Justice is just such a flip flop artist from one day to the next. Sometimes I think he as already gone senile. One day he will write a commentary about how Drayton is such a good owner and the next day he is telling us the complete opposite. Is he serious or is he just trying to drive us crazy?

Jerome was born, raised and educated in Houston. When Boston lured him away, he stayed for a few years and returned because he wanted to come back to his hometown and warm climate. I don't think he hates Houston at all.

Texan_Bill
08-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Jerome was born, raised and educated in Houston. When Boston lured him away, he stayed for a few years and returned because he wanted to come back to his hometown and warm climate. I don't think he hates Houston at all.

I don't think Queen Soloman hates Houston either.

That said, there have been plenty of times that I wanted to make the world a better place
and punch Queen Soloman in the face.

dgmtexas
08-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm not trying to defend him, I'm just curious when I see all the John McLain bashing that goes on especially here. Since the Texans have arrived he's been the beat writer for the team. Which normally means he's passing on news from the Texans and occasionally passes out an opinion as opposed to a Columnist who passes out opinions.

Is he the problem or are your expectations of what he should be doling out not what a beat writer does???

Speaking of Columnists, I caught this on the Dallas paper from R. Gosselin. He has his NFL rankings on hand. He also commented in a Cowboy column how the Texans are a Superbowl contender this year. Normally I don't go haywire over rankings but I do enjoy and respect his work.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/080810dnsponflrankings.2596962.html (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/080810dnsponflrankings.2596962.html)

Don't hate the guy, I just don't trust his judgments, remember, he is on file as stating that drafting Mario Williams will go down as the worst mistake the Texans ever made,

Hervoyel
08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't think there's a Houston sports writer who's worth taking the time to hate really and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm on this kick where I'm not going to get wound up over other peoples opinions or what they think of mine anymore and I can't help but extend that to the writers at the Chronicle.

badboy
08-09-2010, 02:18 PM
One one one I could probably get along with John especially if we were talking "back in the day". I love his stories about FOOTBALL (Jerry Glanville threatening McClain in a locked office,etc) but he has gone a bit too Holleywood for me. Heck, if I had been in a few movies, I'd probably would be also. 610 used to be the leading sports radio but have opted to be entertainment oriented. i don't like their trashy traffic with Laura Reynolds but guess it goes over with the men they are advertising to.

John lost his key to the Texans back door when he went off on the team choosing Mario. He made pretty specific comments & I don't think he has recovered. It was fun to watch him at TC with Oilers years ago in San Antonio. Top of his head and his face were sunburned rather quickly.

Tailgate
08-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Don't hate the guy, I just don't trust his judgments, remember, he is on file as stating that drafting Mario Williams will go down as the worst mistake the Texans ever made,

You could say that for pretty much everyone in the entire media and 95% of this town included.

Which is why I respect Michael Smith of ESPN that much more. He was blasted for defending the pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2419503

Let me begin by assuring you that, to my knowledge, I never have suffered a head injury, not even a minor one. I've never used/abused recreational or prescription drugs. And it has been well over a week since I last consumed any alcohol. Also rest assured that when I wrote the following, I did so with a straight face.

With the first pick of the 2006 NFL draft, the Houston Texans should not select running back Reggie Bush of Southern California. And my reason has nothing to do with the recent report that his family allegedly accepted extra benefits during Bush's junior season.

And sorry, Houstonians, this isn't another plea for the Texans to pass over Bush in favor of University of Texas quarterback (and hometown hero) Vince Young.

They shouldn't trade down, either, or they might miss out on the player they should take. Mario Williams, the North Carolina State defensive end, should be the Texans' pick.

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Waltrip guy, right?

infantrycak
08-09-2010, 04:10 PM

He was not always the beat writer and that is part of the problem. McClain covered the NFL generally for the 1st couple years of the Texans so he got to fly to whatever game he wanted, write about what he wanted and use his very good league wide contacts. Then the Chronicle made him the lead Texans writer and clipped his traveling wings. He was noticeably upset about that but he still had good contacts with the Texans until Capers/Casserly left town. Kubiak/Smith give him very little. That made him grumpier. It also left him somewhat adrift. He has never been an analyst. He lives off of contacts and inside info. When the current regime stopped the flow of info he had to start coming up with opinions of his own and generally they aren't high quality. Nice guy and maybe the key mistake was the Chronicle's in taking him of the NFL at large buy his attempts at analysis might as well be throwing darts.

Goldensilence
08-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Dunno what you are talking about McClane is a freaking bad ass.

http://www.montrealfilmjournal.com/img/pics/R0000159.jpg

Sluggo
08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
As far as print media goes, I like John McClain. Noone is 100% but I think he gets it right more often than not. I have had the opportunity to interact with him a few times and have found him to be a humble, down to earth guy. He has never struck me as a guy who lets his "personality" get in the way. He pretty much calls it as he sees it. Thats my read on him anyway, I'm sure others disagree.

I consider Jerome Solomon to be a lightweight. I could quickly name ten people who regularly post on this board - who Im sure have other full time jobs - whos insights and analysis I give more credence to than Solomon. He always seems to have an axe to grind. He may be an intelligent guy for all I know, but he cant seem to get out of his own way.

Richard Justice I dont take seriously either but for different reasons. Honestly I dont think Justice gives a rat's ass about serious reporting and analysis. He is a sensationalist in the mold of Skip Baylass. The positions he takes in his articles are based not necessarily on what he thinks is accurate, but on what he thinks will get the biggest rise out of his readers. Justice writes for a response bottom line.

The above or any in the Chronicle Houston's leading misinformation source stopped getting under my skin years ago. As someone posted earlier, there are much better info sources. Not the least of which is right here.

Texan_Bill
08-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Dunno what you are talking about McClane is a freaking bad ass.

http://www.montrealfilmjournal.com/img/pics/R0000159.jpg

:clap: Nice, GS!!!

"Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."

texanhead08
08-09-2010, 10:37 PM

UH fans like to refer to Solomon as "The Roach".

badboy
08-10-2010, 09:23 AM
He was not always the beat writer and that is part of the problem. McClain covered the NFL generally for the 1st couple years of the Texans so he got to fly to whatever game he wanted, write about what he wanted and use his very good league wide contacts. Then the Chronicle made him the lead Texans writer and clipped his traveling wings. He was noticeably upset about that but he still had good contacts with the Texans until Capers/Casserly left town. Kubiak/Smith give him very little. That made him grumpier. It also left him somewhat adrift. He has never been an analyst. He lives off of contacts and inside info. When the current regime stopped the flow of info he had to start coming up with opinions of his own and generally they aren't high quality. Nice guy and maybe the key mistake was the Chronicle's in taking him of the NFL at large buy his attempts at analysis might as well be throwing darts.
Exactly!

badboy
08-10-2010, 09:24 AM
UH fans like to refer to Solomon as "The Roach".And not in the way of maybe getting something good from it.

htownballa23
08-10-2010, 09:41 AM
You could say that for pretty much everyone in the entire media and 95% of this town included.

Which is why I respect Michael Smith of ESPN that much more. He was blasted for defending the pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2419503

Interesting article by Smith. That's a pretty bold analysis considering the hype Bush was receiving during that time. I'm not surprised at the blasting he took for defending Mario, and looking back now he was one of the few correct ones.

HoustonFrog
08-10-2010, 09:47 AM

Agree with alot of this. I used to enjoy, back in the early 2000s..his work and he had alot of inside info about picks, free agents, etc. As the years went by he got really surly and really had nothing analytical wise to offer. He would repeat something ad nauseum despite it being proven not true....."Texans can't blitz and Richard Smith has to hold everyone back." When confronted he would get defensive and pretty much sould foolish at times. I just don't pay attenmtion to him anymore.