PDA

View Full Version : When it was fun to watch the defense in Houston!

ProximoMetalica
08-05-2010, 10:11 AM
I am new to these boards and glad I found you guys! I thought I would start things off for myself by stirring some old memories for some of you old Houston Oiler fans! Until last year, I had very little interest in watching our Texans play defense. It was just an opportunity for disappointment and sometimes embarrassment! Brian Cushing changed that for me last year! I could actually feel myself getting excited to see what he was going to do next!

In the "glory days of the early 1990's, the Houston franchise known as the Oilers had a formidable defense that was fun to watch and took the experience of watching a football game to a different level for me! in 1992 we had a starting defensive line of:

William Fuller 8.5 sacks
Ray Childress 13.5 sacks
Lee Williams 11.0 sacks
Sean Jones 8.0 sacks

I can remember watching us put so much pressure on QB's that I could not get up to pee when we were on defense. Afterall, when we were in the dome, we were in the "House of Pain".

We also had Chris Dishman, Bubba McDowell, Marcus Roberston, Jerry Gray, Lamar Lathon and Al Smith! Wow, what a defense!

I know we didn't win any championships or even get to the superbowl, but it sure was fun watching games back then even if I was ultimately disappointed in the end!

My point is that, I started to enjoy watching the Texans play defense last year and I cannot imagine what Schobel would do for this team. Would we be on the verge of having a dominant defense again or at least one that is fun to watch on every down again?

What are your thoughts? Are you excited to watch our defense now or will you be if we get Aaron Schobel?

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Up until last season (and after our 1st season), I was always sure that our defense would do something to lose the game. If it was clutch time, it always seemed like our defense became totally porous. Like the Lee Evans game against the Bills. It always seemed like it didn't matter how long 3rd down was, we'd always give up the first. The longer the 3rd down, the better for the other team.

Last season, that changed.

I'm hoping that our defense picks up where it left off and we kick ass. Over the last 13 games last season, we were one of the top defenses in the league. However... the same thing happened the first season of Kubiak's regime. After a terrible start against the Eagles, Colts, and Redskins, our defense actually played pretty well the last 13 games of that season; the problem was our offense was beyond horrible. I was hoping that our defense was going to carry on from that point and become a force... but it didn't.

So, even though I was heartened by our defensive performance last year, I'm going to have to see a strong start by our defense this year to convince me that it wasn't some sort of illusion.

If we have a dominant defense AND our running game picks up AND our passing game continues at the level it was at last year, this team is going to be a monster.

DexmanC
08-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I hope so, Pencil Neck. One of those 13 games, our defense choked at
Jacksonville, allowing MJD to get as many 1st downs as he wanted to
off a million handoffs in a row late in the 4th.

All the defense needed was ONE stop, and Jacksonville shoved it
up on us with something like 12 rushes in a row. Our defense
was lame in almost every division game we played last year.
8-2 against the rest of the NFL, though.

Texan_Bill
08-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Quite possibly the baddest man to ever grace our city:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/1976/09/26/001094826.jpg

Dr. Doom, 'nuff said.

infantrycak
08-05-2010, 11:58 AM

up on us with something like 12 rushes in a row.

For the record it was 7 straight rushes two of which were for no gain. Unfortunately they couldn't stop him on 3rd and 3 from getting 3 with 2 minutes to go to give Schaub a chance to work.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2010, 12:06 PM

up on us with something like 12 rushes in a row. Our defense
was lame in almost every division game we played last year.
8-2 against the rest of the NFL, though.

I swear every time you tell this story another rush is added to it. Jones-Drew ran 7 times and then there were 3 kneel downs. On the game as a whole, Jones-Drew had 76 yards rushing and averaged 3 yards a pop. That's not a bad day against Jones-Drew.

Yes. We needed to stop him and No, we didn't stop him when we needed to. I think that was one of our worst games in terms of 3rd down efficiency as a defense. At the end of that game, we looked more like our old selves.

But what really killed us in that game was that Schaub went out and Sexy Rexy couldn't handle the offense. That, and Chris Brown's errant attempt at a throw.

We lost the game but it wasn't just the defense's fault.

alphajoker
08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Quite possibly the baddest man to ever grace our city:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/image/1976/09/26/001094826.jpg

Dr. Doom, 'nuff said.

That's way before my time...is that him on the far right in the white shirt w/glasses? ;)

Texan_Bill
08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
That's way before my time...is that him on the far right in the white shirt w/glasses? ;)

:foottap:

http://www.sportsattic2.com/nflphotos/photos12/Brazile,Robert5.jpg

http://static.zoovy.com/img/helmethead2/W225-H225-Bffffff/robert_brazile_1x.jpg

http://home.flash.net/~hsclau/images/robert_brazile.jpg

Showtime100
08-05-2010, 01:37 PM

You're 34 at that was way before........geeez in old. http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Emoticons%20II/thcv.gif

Welcome to our dysfunction, ProximoMetalica! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Emoticons%20II/thalcohol.gif

HJam72
08-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I heard the Jags rushed on us for like every play for like 3 games in a row and we only tackled MJD once when he was trying to kneel. :mcnugget: But we still won one of those games, because AJ runs like a goat....or something like that. Oh, and now we have some little dude that's gonna score a lot on kickoffs while riding a little pink big-wheel type thing.

badboy
08-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I am new to these boards and glad I found you guys! I thought I would start things off for myself by stirring some old memories for some of you old Houston Oiler fans! Until last year, I had very little interest in watching our Texans play defense. It was just an opportunity for disappointment and sometimes embarrassment! Brian Cushing changed that for me last year! I could actually feel myself getting excited to see what he was going to do next!

In the "glory days of the early 1990's, the Houston franchise known as the Oilers had a formidable defense that was fun to watch and took the experience of watching a football game to a different level for me! in 1992 we had a starting defensive line of:

William Fuller 8.5 sacks
Ray Childress 13.5 sacks
Lee Williams 11.0 sacks
Sean Jones 8.0 sacks

I can remember watching us put so much pressure on QB's that I could not get up to pee when we were on defense. Afterall, when we were in the dome, we were in the "House of Pain".

We also had Chris Dishman, Bubba McDowell, Marcus Roberston, Jerry Gray, Lamar Lathon and Al Smith! Wow, what a defense!

I know we didn't win any championships or even get to the superbowl, but it sure was fun watching games back then even if I was ultimately disappointed in the end!

My point is that, I started to enjoy watching the Texans play defense last year and I cannot imagine what Schobel would do for this team. Would we be on the verge of having a dominant defense again or at least one that is fun to watch on every down again?

What are your thoughts? Are you excited to watch our defense now or will you be if we get Aaron Schobel?Welcome! We seem to be getting a lot of new members & that is good. I watched the Oilers before the two leagues merged and have always been a defensive guy. Really enjoyed the Luv Ya Blue but had a lot of stomach acid those days. Last season with Texans was pretty good for me to watch Schaub show what he could do, especially when he ran back on the field after being injured. Who did that not pump up? I am a CB guy and tv just does not allow enough of that for me but I also like watching the trenches. This is gonna be a very good year.