PDA

View Full Version : Sharpton or Diles?

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I've heard some people say that Sharpton has been looking good. We all love our Zac but this is the way it works in the NFL...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7138124.html

Sharpton elevated

Because starter Zac Diles is out with a groin injury, rookie outside linebacker Darryl Sharpton got to work with the starters. Sharpton was a fourth-round pick from Miami.

When middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans watches Sharpton, it reminds him of his first camp in 2006.

"Darryl has been moved around a lot," Ryans said. ""The same thing happened to me when I was a rookie, and he has handled it well.

"Darryl's a very smart kid. He's stepped in, and he's doing a good job. I know he's got a lot on his plate, just like it was for me. I'm proud of the way he's handling it."

We could be looking at a Sharpton-Ryans-Cushing trio of LBs by the 4th game of the season.

We bring in Clark and Bentley and Sharpton is taking snaps with the 1st team.

Rey
08-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm all for it...If he's the best, then he's the best

JB
08-04-2010, 10:02 PM
I've heard some people say that Sharpton has been looking good. We all love our Zac but this is the way it works in the NFL...

We could be looking at a Sharpton-Ryans-Cushing trio of LBs by the 4th game of the season.We bring in Clark and Bentley and Sharpton is taking snaps with the 1st team.

Perhaps by the 5th game...

But Kubiak has been quoted that Diles is very close to being a pro-bowl LB. Unless his injury really is serious or lingers, I do not see Sharpton winning the spot this year.

RipTraxx
08-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Make no mistake about it....Sharpton can RUN. He had a fast combine and has all the 'football' speed that you can want. Add the fact that he came from a pro style defense (much like Ryans). He actually reminds me of a quicker Diles.

But of couse im biased.......

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Damn, math.

76Texan
08-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Sharpton may not have the physical ability to match Ryans and Cushing, but I would say this: He's as ready to play as those two coming out of college.

I didn't have the opportunity to watch much at all of Demeco in college.
But I did watch a lot of Cushing. I said that Cushing needed more reps in coverage since he was asked mostly to play forward at USC and not dropping back much in coverage (he didn't look very sharp in those instances.)

In the first game last season against the Jets, when we go to the nickel, it would be Ryans and Adibi in there.

In 08, we played mostly nickel against the Colts; and when Adibi was healthy, he was in there with Ryans. He played very well in that game.

I've seen Sharpton play well in the nickel.
And yes, the Hurricanes did play Wisconsin in a bowl game last year.
And Garrett Graham played well, but Sharpton also played well.
(I would say Sharpton won that matchup just slightly).
He also practiced against a good TE in Jimmy Graham (third round pick by the Saints).

If we're going to play the Colts and Adibi can't play, Sharpton may surprise a lot of fans when he gets the nod. It's a possibility. The guy is a good solid all-around LB.

drs23
08-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Sharpton may not have the physical ability to match Ryans and Cushing, but I would say this: He's as ready to play as those two coming out of college.

I didn't have the opportunity to watch much at all of Demeco in college.
But I did watch a lot of Cushing. I said that Cushing needed more reps in coverage since he was asked mostly to play forward at USC and not dropping back much in coverage (he didn't look very sharp in those instances.)

In the first game last season against the Jets, when we go to the nickel, it would be Ryans and Adibi in there.

In 08, we played mostly nickel against the Colts; and when Adibi was healthy, he was in there with Ryans. He played very well in that game.

I've seen Sharpton play well in the nickel.
And yes, the Hurricanes did play Wisconsin in a bowl game last year.
And Garrett Graham played well, but Sharpton also played well.
(I would say Sharpton won that matchup just slightly).
He also practiced against a good TE in Jimmy Graham (third round pick by the Saints).

If we're going to play the Colts and Adibi can't play, Sharpton may surprise a lot of fans when he gets the nod. It's a possibility. The guy is a good solid all-around LB.

Thanks again 76, tried to rep but couldn't.

Jackie Chiles
08-05-2010, 01:47 AM
Coming from a guy who wanted Adibi to win the WLB spot last year theres just no chance that Sharpton beats out Diles. Zach really made a believer out of me and had an awesome year last season. I imagine what will wind up happening is we will try to resign guys like OD and Pollard and eventually we are going to have to let someone walk. Diles could be that guy and when it happens Sharpton will hopefully step in and not miss a beat.

GermanTexan
08-05-2010, 01:51 AM
If the injury isnt to serious, diles will be the starter.

zanth91
08-05-2010, 01:52 AM

But Kubiak has been quoted that Diles is very close to being a pro-bowl LB. Unless his injury really is serious or lingers, I do not see Sharpton winning the spot this year.

Confidence boost? I think Diles is good, but he's nowhere near the Pro Bowl.

PHAROAH
08-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Typical Miami Hurricanes Linebacker they all produce. Ray lewis, johnathon vilma, DJ Williams, Jon Beason etc. I could go on and on with great linebackers from miami so i'm not shocked if he wins the job.

False Start
08-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Diles has been playing pretty damn good these past few seasons, so unless Sharpton comes out and sets the world on fire I just cant see him unseating ZD.

Trail.Blazr
08-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Typical Miami Hurricanes Linebacker they all produce. Ray lewis, johnathon vilma, DJ Williams, Jon Beason etc. I could go on and on with great linebackers from miami so i'm not shocked if he wins the job.

My thoughts exactly! Dude will be a beast.

thunderkyss
08-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I think it's definitely Diles' job to lose. If Sharpton is all that, he'll get his opportunity to unseat Zac. Until then, he needs to carry the man's pads, and right now Zac Diles is the man.

TimeKiller
08-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Sharpton or Diles? This is a joke? Sharpton has more than just Diles to beat anyway...

badboy
08-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Sharpton gets the start now same as Diles did and if I remember correctly Adibi, due to injury. For now Sharpton is not the LB Diles is but he easily can get there. We are beginning to see the fruits of smart drafting as many positions are facing stiff competition. Depth will get us where we want to go as our backups should beat their back ups. Some teams are going to get good players as Kubes works through this roster & begins to let players go.

HOU-TEX
08-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Diles has been playing pretty damn good these past few seasons, so unless Sharpton comes out and sets the world on fire I just cant see him unseating ZD.

Agreed. To me, this isn't even debatable. Diles played awesome last season and had as many, or close to, the amount of TFL's as Cush and D-Ryans. He comes out in nickel and dime situations, so that says a lot IMO.

Like others have said, Diles has done nothing to lose the spot and Sharpton has done nothing to win the spot, yet

ubecool454
08-05-2010, 10:01 AM

We could be looking at a Sharpton-Ryans-Cushing trio of LBs by the 4th game of the season.

We bring in Clark and Bentley and Sharpton is taking snaps with the 1st team.

I'm not surprised by this...I mean, I can you go wrong drafting Miami and SEC players? lol

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Sharpton or Diles? This is a joke? Sharpton has more than just Diles to beat anyway...

Diles goes down to a groin injury and who's running with the ones in his spot? Is it Clark? No. Is it Bentley? No. It's Sharpton. That's no joke and that's no speculation. That's what has already happened.

I've heard that Sharpton's been doing well but I didn't expect him to take over for Diles when Diles went down. I didn't expect Sharpton to be getting time with the ones at this point. That being the case, I've got to wonder just how good this Sharpton kid is.

It's a pick that had most of us scratching our heads. None of us had LB as a position with any need associated with it. So maybe they had this Sharpton kid rated so high that they think he can take over for Diles/Adibi.

And I'm not saying that Diles hasn't played well or done everything asked of him. I'm just saying maybe Sharpton's going to be something special.

HOU-TEX
08-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Diles goes down to a groin injury and who's running with the ones in his spot? Is it Clark? No. Is it Bentley? No. It's Sharpton. That's no joke and that's no speculation. That's what has already happened.

I've heard that Sharpton's been doing well but I didn't expect him to take over for Diles when Diles went down. I didn't expect Sharpton to be getting time with the ones at this point. That being the case, I've got to wonder just how good this Sharpton kid is.

It's a pick that had most of us scratching our heads. None of us had LB as a position with any need associated with it. So maybe they had this Sharpton kid rated so high that they think he can take over for Diles/Adibi.

And I'm not saying that Diles hasn't played well or done everything asked of him. I'm just saying maybe Sharpton's going to be something special.

I think Adibi would've been Diles replacement, but he's got a groin too. Personally, if Adibi doesn't get his arse on the field and stay heathy he might be on his way out. I think Kubiak is getting a bit frustrated with him.

IDEXAN
08-05-2010, 11:09 AM
It's like with putting the 5 best OLineman out there, you put the best 3 LBs
out there. If Sharpton is really a better WIL than Diles, then you've got a
lineup of Sharpton, DeMeco, & Diles at SAM until Cushing returns.

76Texan
08-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Agreed. To me, this isn't even debatable. Diles played awesome last season and had as many, or close to, the amount of TFL's as Cush and D-Ryans. He comes out in nickel and dime situations, so that says a lot IMO.

Like others have said, Diles has done nothing to lose the spot and Sharpton has done nothing to win the spot, yet

Look at Diles' TFLs.
Many of them were due to the plays of our much-maligned interior D-line.
People can really contradict themselves! :cow:

But I agree that Diles had done nothing to lose his spot.
But he never started in the nickel, so that wasn't his spot to lose.

Rey
08-05-2010, 12:34 PM
• Adibi is one of the frontrunners to start at strongside linebacker during Cushing's suspension in the first four games of the season, but he has missed the past two days with what Kubiak termed a "very good groin strain" on Wednesday afternoon. "I'm concerned right now with Adibi," Kubiak said. "I think everybody (else) will get back here pretty quickly, but he's going to miss some time. Obviously, we were counting on him very much so as a team. I feel bad for him because it seems like every time he gets on the brink, something happens. Hopefully, we can get past this and keep him healthy for a period of time."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6251

If Adibi gets and stays healthy, I think Sharpton would have a long way to go before moving into the starting line-up. If guys get hurt (like they have been; Both Diles and Adibi out) then of course he'll get his chance to impress.

HOU-TEX
08-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Look at Diles' TFLs.
Many of them were due to the plays of our much-maligned interior D-line.
People can really contradict themselves! :cow:

But I agree that Diles had done nothing to lose his spot.
But he never started in the nickel, so that wasn't his spot to lose.

Don't know what your point is there

I know, I stated he came out in nickel and dime situations

76Texan
08-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Don't know what your point is there

Don't mean to direct it toward you.
I just don't want other people to assume things.

There were plays in which our DTs (Okoye and Cody especially) occupy the double-team long enough to allow Diles to get into the backfield to make play.

That was one of the reasons I said that our DTs were under-appreciated by quite many fans.

I don't agree with some fans who think that our DTs were bad, and Diles was all good by himself.

While we're at it, let me throw in something extra:
(This includes many other games), but let's just concentrate on our divisional rivals. If you carefully check out the plays of their centers against our "pitiful" D-linemen vs. Myers against theirs, you will find that Myers was better against their DTs than those Centers were against ours.

If you disagree, I will buy you a couple of beers; no question asked!
Good deal?

Goldensilence
08-06-2010, 01:34 AM

Pretty much my stance. Dile's consistent play has made me a believer. I think it's going to be hard to unseat him as a starter long as he's signed here.

I know both Clark and Bentley are versatile but, wasn't Clark brought in to compete at SLB? I thought Bentley as well was the backup MLB?

I'm not saying that Sharpton isn't a guy that looks to be up and coming already, just maybe it should be taken in context.

Jeeze it's so great to be able to argue about such strong depth at LB!

barrett
08-06-2010, 01:50 AM

Both OLB's are injured. (If you count Cushing out that's 3) So Between Clark, Bentley and Sharpton two of those guys got the knod and one of them was Sharpton. I'm very curious to see his developement.

I don't think I'm buying into the thinking that he's replacing Diles. Diles has played very well for 2+ seasons. Remember, he was leading the team in tackles two seasons ago when he broke his leg. He had a semi-offseason because he was coming back from the injury last year and he played well. This year he's had a full offseason healthy. I would expect him to be very good.

beerlover
08-06-2010, 03:31 AM

Sharpton is a three down LB, he doesn't have to come out, you want your best out there at all times. IMO

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 10:14 AM
I know both Clark and Bentley are versatile but, wasn't Clark brought in to compete at SLB? I thought Bentley as well was the backup MLB?

I'm not saying that Sharpton isn't a guy that looks to be up and coming already, just maybe it should be taken in context.

Jeeze it's so great to be able to argue about such strong depth at LB!

That's just it, up until this point, our DCs have played best 3 LBs at all time. Everybody played all three spots. Bentley and Clark should have been the next two up with Diles and Adibi down (and it pleases me that Adibi is before Bentley and Clark). That Sharpton saw the field means that they think he might be the 5th or 6th best LB on the team right now.

And now with Bing playing well, too. It's going to be interesting to see who gets cut from this LB crew.

Mike Kerns
08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Was talking with John Harris on Twitter and he thinks that the team lets Diles walk after this year and Sharpton is the starter in 2011.

rmartin65
08-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Was talking with John Harris on Twitter and he thinks that the team lets Diles walk after this year and Sharpton is the starter in 2011.

Really? Hmm, thats strange. I really like Diles, I will be really surprised if this happens. We have not even seen Sharpton in a game.

Mike Kerns
08-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Really? Hmm, thats strange. I really like Diles, I will be really surprised if this happens. We have not even seen Sharpton in a game.

He was likely speculating. But if Harris says it, it probably holds some weight.

drs23
08-06-2010, 10:43 AM

I just don't see it at all. GK has been speaking highly of Zac for the last two years saying he's on the cusp of being a Pro Bowler. I just don't see them developing him into this caliber of player and then letting him "walk". IMHO, just not gonna happen.

Mike Kerns
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
I just don't see it at all. GK has been speaking highly of Zac for the last two years saying he's on the cusp of being a Pro Bowler. I just don't see them developing him into this caliber of player and then letting him "walk". IMHO, just not gonna happen.

Understandable. Personally, I don't take any of Kubiak's "Coach speak" too seriously. I mean, he could be just trying to boost Diles confidence. It is much more advantageous than saying "Yeah, Diles is crap. We drafted Sharpton to replace him."

Personally I like Diles. Quite a bit. I just don't think he is irreplaceable. And with the money the team has been handing out to retain players lately, I could see Diles (and OD, sadly) being one that falls victim to the numbers and dollars game.

thunderkyss
08-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Understandable. Personally, I don't take any of Kubiak's "Coach speak" too seriously. I mean, he could be just trying to boost Diles confidence. It is much more advantageous than saying "Yeah, Diles is crap. We drafted Sharpton to replace him."

Personally I like Diles. Quite a bit. I just don't think he is irreplaceable. And with the money the team has been handing out to retain players lately, I could see Diles (and OD, sadly) being one that falls victim to the numbers and dollars game.

But Diles is playing very well, and it costs them next to nothing to keep him.

I do understand improving your team, whenever you get the chance, but that doesn't make sense, to just let Diles walk... He'll get a job on another team.

Cut Clark, cut Bently, keep Diles.

Mike Kerns
08-06-2010, 11:02 AM
But Diles is playing very well, and it costs them next to nothing to keep him.

I do understand improving your team, whenever you get the chance, but that doesn't make sense, to just let Diles walk... He'll get a job on another team.

Cut Clark, cut Bently, keep Diles.

You're right.

I'm just preparing myself for when the team starts trying to be "cost effective" on certain positions. With Mario due to be paid soon, it has to start happening.

Goldensilence
08-06-2010, 11:09 AM
You're right.

I'm just preparing myself for when the team starts trying to be "cost effective" on certain positions. With Mario due to be paid soon, it has to start happening.

Could see them letting walk, but only if he asks for a big contract. I think he's been solid, but nothing that is going to garner him a monster deal.

The team has the cap room to sign OD to a deal, I think it's going to hinge more on him proving he's healthy this year and can go back to playing at the elite level he was playing at before his injury.

Williams signed a six year rookie deal. I'm thinking his extension could come early as this year if the FO wants to accelerate what hit they can to the cap this year. Which is what I would do.

HOU-TEX
08-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Don't mean to direct it toward you.
I just don't want other people to assume things.

There were plays in which our DTs (Okoye and Cody especially) occupy the double-team long enough to allow Diles to get into the backfield to make play.

That was one of the reasons I said that our DTs were under-appreciated by quite many fans.

I don't agree with some fans who think that our DTs were bad, and Diles was all good by himself.

While we're at it, let me throw in something extra:
(This includes many other games), but let's just concentrate on our divisional rivals. If you carefully check out the plays of their centers against our "pitiful" D-linemen vs. Myers against theirs, you will find that Myers was better against their DTs than those Centers were against ours.

If you disagree, I will buy you a couple of beers; no question asked!
Good deal?

IMO, and I've said this before, our DT's were decent against the run and improved as the season progressed. However, Okoye was known as a pass rushing DT when he came out of College. His pass rushing has progressively gotten worse since his rook year. Our DT's must be able to collapse the pocket and force the QB out. Our DE's would benefit from an inside push as well.

I watched the Seahawk game last night. I was cooking while watching so tifwiw, Cody was my DT of the game. He was getting inside push while Okoye provided nada.

Agree to disagree on Myers. It's obvious neither of us are going to change our opinions on him, so not much reason to go round and round.....again. :)

Sharpton is a three down LB, he doesn't have to come out, you want your best out there at all times. IMO

So, who are you taking out in Nickel and dime situations? A Dlineman? Cushing? D-Ryans? I don't think so. Plus, Sharpton hasn't done jack in the NFL, so how do we know he's a 3 down LB?

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 03:43 PM
From Kube's Quotes:

(on with Adibi being out what is his plan A and B) "We'll just go to work with our starters right know and let this thing play itself out. Obviously, (LB) Kevin (Bentley) or (LB) Danny (Clark) will have to play that spot. One of the other options we talked about was that (LB) Zac (Diles) could move too. Now we have a young kid getting involved in (LB Darryl) Sharpton. We'll just keep going. We've got a lot of football left to play and let it work itself out and keep (LB Brian) (Cushing) and let it work itself out."

So. I was wrong. Forget Sharpton OR Diles and make it Sharpton AND Diles.

I think we can kiss Adibi goodbye. I really wanted him to make a splash on this team but he's done nothing but get injured or sick.

Goldensilence
08-06-2010, 04:12 PM
From Kube's Quotes:

I think we can kiss Adibi goodbye. I really wanted him to make a splash on this team but he's done nothing but get injured or sick.

Is this talking about working out at SLB? I thought Adibi would be a better fit at WLB.

Either rate you're right it's going to be difficult to keep Adibi around if he can't stay on the field.

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Is this talking about working out at SLB? I thought Adibi would be a better fit at WLB.

Either rate you're right it's going to be difficult to keep Adibi around if he can't stay on the field.

Originally, the idea from what I gathered was that they were going to keep Diles at the Will because he's so good at the position. And they were going to let Adibi/Bentley/Clark fight it out for the Sam even though Sam was Diles' position a couple of years ago when he was leading the team in tackles.

But, with Sharpton playing so well and Adibi (and I think Clark, now) having health issues, they're looking at throwing Diles into the Sam fight and promoting Sharpton to the Will.

Rey
08-06-2010, 06:05 PM
From Kube's Quotes:

I don't understand how you're coming to that conclusion...

Just before that he said this about Adibi:

This team has counted on him a great deal. It's been unfortunate that he's been nick up a lot and see if can get him back to a hundred percent and keep him on the field."

That sounds like, once he gets healthy (if he can stay healthy) the job is his to lose. Also, in the quote you posted, he mentioned Sharpton as an afterthought. He said:

(on with Adibi being out what is his plan A and B)--Obviously, (LB) Kevin (Bentley) or (LB) Danny (Clark) will have to play that spot. One of the other options we talked about was that (LB) Zac (Diles) could move too.

Then he said:

Now we have a young kid getting involved in (LB Darryl) Sharpton. We'll just keep going. We've got a lot of football left to play and let it work itself out

I think Zac would be moving over for Adibi, not Sharpton...

I don't think Kubiak even knows who's going to start at this point. I think his ideal line-up would be Adibi, Meco, and Diles though...But if guys are injured other guys will get opportunities to step up. The quote from Kubiak clearly outlines how he has them listed as of now though...Adibi, Bentley OR Clark....and then Sharpton...

Rey
08-06-2010, 06:09 PM
"No, we'll come back this afternoon and practice. I'll keep (WR) Andre (Johnson) and (DT Shaun) Cody off the turf, but other than that I think we're shooting for Monday. When you start talking about (DE) Mario (Williams), (DE Pannel) Egboh and (LB Danny) Clark those guys we're shooting for Monday."

Danny Clark has also been injured... (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6258)

So that's Clark, Adibi, and Diles who have been out or nicked up...Not to mention Cushing missed a day to handle "personal business"...

I don't understand the awe at Sharpton being in the starting lineup under these circumstances..

thunderkyss
08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Danny Clark has also been injured... (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6258)

So that's Clark, Adibi, and Diles who have been out or nicked up...

I don't understand the awe at Sharpton being in the starting lineup under these circumstances..

I think it's under these circumstances PLUS the accolades.

Rey
08-06-2010, 06:20 PM
But, with Sharpton playing so well and Adibi (and I think Clark, now) having health issues, they're looking at throwing Diles into the Sam fight and promoting Sharpton to the Will.

That's not what Kubiak said at all.

I'll just post everything he said about the LB situation :

(on the timetable of LB Xavier Adibi's recovery) "It'll be a few weeks. The news was good we probably thought that it was better than it could've been. He's going to miss some time I would probably say a few weeks. A few weeks in training camp is a lot so we'll see. This team has counted on him a great deal. It's been unfortunate that he's been nick up a lot and see if can get him back to a hundred percent and keep him on the field."

(on with Adibi being out what is his plan A and B) "We'll just go to work with our starters right know and let this thing play itself out. Obviously, (LB) Kevin (Bentley) or (LB) Danny (Clark) will have to play that spot. One of the other options we talked about was that (LB) Zac (Diles) could move too. Now we have a young kid getting involved in (LB Darryl) Sharpton. We'll just keep going. We've got a lot of football left to play and let it work itself out and keep (LB Brian) (Cushing) and let it work itself out."

Kubiak has never been shy about praising guys who are showing something...I don't understand why he'd start now. If Sharpton was in serious contention for starting right now I think he'd mention "how well the kid is playing" or how "the kid is really going to push for playing time"...

He doesn't do that...He clearly states Clark and Bentley are next up with Adibi being out...He only said moving Zach over had been discussed and he never said anything about who'd slide into the Will so I guess we can speculate until he says something concrete...I don't think Diles would move over for Sharpton...I think it'd be for Adibi or Bentley

Rey
08-06-2010, 06:25 PM
I think it's under these circumstances PLUS the accolades.

That and there is no one else...

Look, I'm not baggin on the guy...I have no idea whether he will be good or not. Just by virtue of him being a Miami LB I would personally give him the benefit of the doubt though.

I just think all this talk of him starting is pre-mature. Kubiak has clearly outlined the pecking order. As it stands right now, he has a long way to go.

thunderkyss
08-06-2010, 07:28 PM
That and there is no one else...

No... it's more than that. It seems like he is being asked to step up, and he's stepping up.

Darnelle Bing is there, Isaiah Greenhouse is there, but Demeco isn't comparing them to himself. Kubiak isn't talking about them.

I'm not one of the guys making a big deal about it. But I can see where they are coming from.

Rey
08-06-2010, 08:59 PM
No... it's more than that. It seems like he is being asked to step up, and he's stepping up.

Darnelle Bing is there, Isaiah Greenhouse is there, but

Like I said, there is no one else...

Darnelle Bing and Greenhouse...Really? It's not like he's leap frogging actual competition...Those two guys will be lucky to make any team...

We're talking about a 4th rd pick here...He should be the next in line after all those guys went down. If he wasn't then he wasn't worthy of a fourth.

Demeco isn't comparing them to himself. Kubiak isn't talking about them.

The other day Kubiak mentioned that Bing had a good practice and was playing well or something. Kubiak definitely hasn't talked about Sharpton as much as he's talked about the other draft picks. In fact, I'd say he's the second least talked about right in front of Shelley Smith.

Also, Demeco compared Sharpton to himself in that he was being moved around a lot and was being asked to learn a lot. He said he was absorbing it all well. He didn't say he was out there turning heads with his play.

I'm not one of the guys making a big deal about it. But I can see where they are coming from.

I'm not saying that he isn't going to be good. I'm not saying that he won't be in the starting line-up by some time this season. All I'm saying is that I haven't heard anything thus far that makes me believe he is immediately pressuring someone for a starting role. I haven't even seen anything that leads me to believe he is pushing for a back-up role if everyone is healthy.

Cushing, Clark, Adibi, and Diles have all missed time recently...So no, I don't get the fascination with Sharpton taking some reps with the first team.

JB
08-06-2010, 09:07 PM
The other day Kubiak mentioned that Bing had a good practice and was playing well or something. Kubiak definitely hasn't talked about Sharpton as much as he's talked about the other draft picks. In fact, I'd say he's the second least talked about right in front of Shelley Smith.

Actually, I would put McMannis in-between Sharpton & Smith. Or Holliday after the OTA's

Rey
08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Actually, I would put McMannis in-between Sharpton & Smith. Or Holliday after the OTA's

From today:

on CB Sherrick McManis) "He's been a nice surprise for a guy who didn't do anything throughout the offseason coming off from injury. We brought him along slowly he's done some good things these past few days. We're very pleased with him as a player. If he could stay healthy we think he has a chance to be a very good football player."

But yeah...I forgot about him...

JB
08-06-2010, 09:22 PM
From today:

Thanks for posting that quote. I had not seen that one. And I know he has been injured and was not able to work out. Feeling pretty sure he starts the season on the PS or pup.

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 09:39 PM
I think Zac would be moving over for Adibi, not Sharpton...

I don't think Kubiak even knows who's going to start at this point. I think his ideal line-up would be Adibi, Meco, and Diles though...But if guys are injured other guys will get opportunities to step up. The quote from Kubiak clearly outlines how he has them listed as of now though...Adibi, Bentley OR Clark....and then Sharpton...

No.

First off, it's not just about this one quote. Earlier in the season, he said that he wasn't going to move Diles over to the Sam. Diles is so good at the Will that he wants to leave him there.

Then, we get a groin in jury to Adibi. This injury is going to take him out for "weeks". Although it's not explicitly stated here, that could easily mean that Adibi is not going to be ready to go on Week 1. Adibi's history of getting injured is not good. At some point, you've got to give up on guys who can't stay on the field. I think Kubiak likes Adibi and wanted Adibi to step up and take that Sam position in Cushings absence.

I was hoping that Adibi was going to be our guy when he was drafted. BUT. At some point, you've got to cut guys loose who can't stay healthy. Kubiak hasn't said anything to lead me to that conclusion. That's totally on me.

Now, with Clark injured and Adibi injured, Kubiak is saying that he'll move Diles over to the Sam to replace them.

So... who takes Diles' spot on the Will? Sharpton. From what Kubes is saying, Sharpton has performed so well that Kubiak feels comfy shifting Diles over.

That's a huge vote of confidence in Sharpton. That alone says that he feels comfortable with Sharpton starting. Then add in Demeco's quotes about how well Sharpton is doing... and I think we got a really good LB there. One who's possibly more talented than Diles.

Now... is that a patchwork quilt of suppositions and assumptions? Sure. But, dammit, man, it's the preseason. It's the time of suppositions and assumptions. Lighten up.

awtysst
08-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Cush is already out for the first four games. So, it makes sense to leave Meco in the middle and Diles as the Will. For our Sam we have Adibi, Bentley, and Sharpton. I think we will see Adibi get the opportunity to start but Sharpton will get in the mix the first four games. Then when Cush returns, we will see where we stand. If Adibi and or Sharpton played well enough, we may go towards a rotational LB corp.

JB
08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Cush is already out for the first four games. So, it makes sense to leave Meco in the middle and Diles as the Will. For our Sam we have Adibi, Bentley, and Sharpton. I think we will see Adibi get the opportunity to start but Sharpton will get in the mix the first four games. Then when Cush returns, we will see where we stand. If Adibi and or Sharpton played well enough, we may go towards a rotational LB corp.

Don't forget about Clark

JB
08-06-2010, 10:15 PM

From today:

Now I find the quote. Actually a nice piece on McMannis.

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1300

The Pencil Neck
08-07-2010, 02:54 AM

It's supposed to be Meco in the Middle, Diles at the Will with Sharpton backing him up, then Adibi, Bentley, and Clark are supposed to be fighting for the Sam spot.

But it sounds like Kubes is thinking about going Meco, Diles at Sam, and Sharpton at Will.

beerlover
08-17-2010, 06:22 PM
It's supposed to be Meco in the Middle, Diles at the Will with Sharpton backing him up, then Adibi, Bentley, and Clark are supposed to be fighting for the Sam spot.

But it sounds like Kubes is thinking about going Meco, Diles at Sam, and Sharpton at Will.

I would rather put Sharpton in the middle he has a knack for filling spaces plus aggressive @ the point of attack. Leave Diles @ WILL thats where he fits best. Let DeMeco have some fun & play SAM while Cushing is out, like to see him blitz more & drop into coverage...he can still command the defense & assist Sharpton next to him.

JB
08-17-2010, 06:29 PM
I would rather put Sharpton in the middle he has a knack for filling spaces plus aggressive @ the point of attack. Leave Diles @ WILL thats where he fits best. Let DeMeco have some fun & play SAM while Cushing is out, like to see him blitz more & drop into coverage...he can still command the defense & assist Sharpton next to him.

I don't agree. Meco is a pro-bowler in the middle. We need to keep him there. I would prefer to keep as much stability as possible. Unless the staff thinks that Meco is the best SLB on the team (outside of Cushing), and the dropoff in the middle would not be that great.

barrett
08-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Ryans biggest weakness is his speed in coverage. He's very well suited close in at MLB.

ATXtexanfan
08-17-2010, 08:01 PM
i was puzzled by the sharpton pick but now it looks golden.

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2010, 08:37 PM
I love what I see with Sharpton. Kubes has said that Diles was playing at a ProBowl level AT HIS POSITION As a rookie, Sharpton feels comfortable at that same position. But either way, there will be a tampering with one of these player's "chemistry." Either way, it appears that you could effect one of those player's level of performance. If you're hell-bent to have them compete for the same position, you have as much the possibility of a lose-lose situation as you do a win-win.

TheRealJoker
08-17-2010, 08:45 PM
I think we need to get the best 3 LBs on the field. With Cushing out, I think the big 3 is Ryans, Diles, and Sharpton. Keep Ryans at Mike and move Diles over to Sam because he understands the scheme. Let the rookie learn one position and start him at the Will. When Cushing comes back, move Diles back over to the Will and start teaching Sharpton how to play the other LB positions to make him a more valuable backup.

A bigger question is, are we better off with Bentley at SAM and keeping Diles at Will? Bentley knows the scheme and is a solid player, but not as talented as athletic as Sharpton.

Carr Bombed
08-17-2010, 09:11 PM
I think we need to get the best 3 LBs on the field. With Cushing out, I think the big 3 is Ryans, Diles, and Sharpton. Keep Ryans at Mike and move Diles over to Sam because he understands the scheme. Let the rookie learn one position and start him at the Will. When Cushing comes back, move Diles back over to the Will and start teaching Sharpton how to play the other LB positions to make him a more valuable backup.

A bigger question is, are we better off with Bentley at SAM and keeping Diles at Will? Bentley knows the scheme and is a solid player, but not as talented as athletic as Sharpton.

But what happens if we do move Zack Diles to Sam during Cushing's absence and Sharpton shines at the Will the same way DeMeco and Cushing shined at their positions as rookies?

Why would you take him off the field when Cushing comes back? I like Zack Diles, but if this scenario happens, they'll be no reason to take Sharpton out of the line up......especially since Diles can already backup all 3 positions right now. (Thus eliminating the need to move a rookie player who's already shining at one position in a effort in trying to make him a Will, Mike, and Sam backup player when you already have a great versatile utility LBer on your roster in Diles.

We aren't talking about Quarterbacks here. The Linebacker position is all about instincts and as we've seen......a rookie can come in from day one and make a immediate impact at that position. (The NFL LBer position is like the RB position when it comes to rookie impact...one of the easiest transitional positions in the NFL). So if Sharpton gets his shot at the Will and does make plays and shows that he has "it", then he should get his shot to start at that position all season.

Good players get beat out all the time on good teams.....if Sharpton beats out Diles, then that can only spell great things for the Houston Texans. Absolutely nothing bad comes from competition. If Sharpton puts heat on Diles, it'll only make him a better player if he does keep his job and if Diles holds off Sharpton, it'll only make Sharpton that much hungrier. There's no lose lose situation here....competiton is extremely healthy for any team and we should welcome it. Hell after 8 seasons, I'm ecstatic that we finally are developing this kind of depth.....it's the kind of positional depth that SB winning teams have. I actually hope Sharpton beats out Diles......not because I don't like Diles, it's actually the complete opposite. I know that Diles is a hell of a football player, so if Sharpton is able to beat him out, that means we have a great young talented football player on our hands and R. Smith once again struck gold in the draft. YOU WANT YOUR LATE ROUND DRAFT PICKS TO SURPRISE AND BEAT OUT YOUR VETS.... I hope Dorin Dickerson eventually ends up beating out everybody not named Andre Johnson for instance, because that's what you want as a Texan fan.

76Texan
08-17-2010, 11:43 PM
But what happens if we do move Zack Diles to Sam during Cushing's absence and Sharpton shines at the Will the same way DeMeco and Cushing shined at their positions as rookies?

Why would you take him off the field when Cushing comes back? I like Zack Diles, but if this scenario happens, they'll be no reason to take Sharpton out of the line up......especially since Diles can already backup all 3 positions right now. (Thus eliminating the need to move a rookie player who's already shining at one position in a effort in trying to make him a Will, Mike, and Sam backup player when you already have a great versatile utility LBer on your roster in Diles.

We aren't talking about Quarterbacks here. The Linebacker position is all about instincts and as we've seen......a rookie can come in from day one and make a immediate impact at that position. (The NFL LBer position is like the RB position when it comes to rookie impact...one of the easiest transitional positions in the NFL). So if Sharpton gets his shot at the Will and does make plays and shows that he has "it", then he should get his shot to start at that position all season.

Good players get beat out all the time on good teams.....if Sharpton beats out Diles, then that can only spell great things for the Houston Texans. Absolutely nothing bad comes from competition. If Sharpton puts heat on Diles, it'll only make him a better player if he does keep his job and if Diles holds off Sharpton, it'll only make Sharpton that much hungrier. There's no lose lose situation here....competiton is extremely healthy for any team and we should welcome it. Hell after 8 seasons, I'm ecstatic that we finally are developing this kind of depth.....it's the kind of positional depth that SB winning teams have. I actually hope Sharpton beats out Diles......not because I don't like Diles, it's actually the complete opposite. I know that Diles is a hell of a football player, so if Sharpton is able to beat him out, that means we have a great young talented football player on our hands and R. Smith once again struck gold in the draft. YOU WANT YOUR LATE ROUND DRAFT PICKS TO SURPRISE AND BEAT OUT YOUR VETS.... I hope Dorin Dickerson eventually ends up beating out everybody not named Andre Johnson for instance, because that's what you want as a Texan fan.

Ding ding!
I've always said I agreed with CB that if you can find a guy who can improve a position, that's the way to go.

It's still too early to tell, even for guys who endorsed the Sharpton pick like me (who also do not dislike Diles, but disagree with Kubiak's Pro-Bowl comment.)

Just let the competition bring out the best in them!

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2010, 12:14 AM
If Sharpton continues to improve, we could end up with a LB corp of Sharpton, Ryans, and Cushing by mid-season. And I think that would be a slobber-knockin crew that Pollard would be proud of. :)

And I like Diles. I think Sharpton is just more athletic and could have better instincts.

76Texan
08-18-2010, 12:23 AM
If Sharpton continues to improve, we could end up with a LB corp of Sharpton, Ryans, and Cushing by mid-season. And I think that would be a slobber-knockin crew that Pollard would be proud of. :)

And I like Diles. I think Sharpton is just more athletic and could have better instincts.

If you like Bam Bam Bam accross the board, that's the way to go!

Dallas Texan
08-18-2010, 12:27 AM
I am always surprised how a lot of people on the board are always so eager to take Ziles off of the starting line up. It is always with the unproved players too. First it was Xavier Adibi ( we all saw what happened with him) and now it is with Sharpton ( the kid is decent but still has not proved himself).

Zac Diles have proved himself worthy of his starting position week in and week out, and he has done an excellent job at it. Also, dont forget Kubiak mentioned he might be having a Pro Bowl season this year.

I highly doubt Kubiak will be replacing him anytime soon, and I also think it's Zac's job until he loses it!

Jackie Chiles
08-18-2010, 12:36 AM
As well as Sharpton played this past game Diles was better. Heck, its thanks to Diles that Sharpton got his pick in the first place. I'm all for competition but unless Diles gets injured Sharpton won't beat him out when Cushing returns.

EDIT: Hmmm, now that I think back I actually believe it was Nolan that benefited from the Diles tip but he was still responsible for a turnover.

C Madd
08-18-2010, 12:39 AM
I am always surprised how a lot of people on the board are always so eager to take Ziles off of the starting line up. It is always with the unproved players too. First it was Xavier Adibi ( we all saw what happened with him) and now it is with Sharpton ( the kid is decent but still has not proved himself).

Zac Diles have proved himself worthy of his starting position week in and week out, and he has done an excellent job at it. Also, dont forget Kubiak mentioned he might be having a Pro Bowl season this year.

I highly doubt Kubiak will be replacing him anytime soon, and I also think it's Zac's job until he loses it!

For me personally, I think its the fact that I want Sharpton to be the next Cushing/Ryans. I don't have a problem with Diles and I think he is solid, but if they think Sharpton is good enough to take his spot, I feel like he could end up being a special player.

I do agree that it is Zac's job until he loses it, though.

b0ng
08-18-2010, 12:43 AM

The thing is that if there is a better player on the roster he will take your spot eventually. The reason you don't see people clamoring to get somebody to replace Cushing or Ryans in our LB corps is because those two guys are effing monsters. As good as Diles is, he's still the weak link. Now I'm not going to anoint Sharpton a starter after 1 preseason game, but he was damned impressive and has been impressing the right people during camp. I've been as big of a Diles defender on this board as most posters, but if Sharpton can play against 1's like he did against 2's last Saturday there's not going to be much in the way of keeping him out of the starting rotation. Again, I have loved watching Diles play, but if there is a player who is obviously playing better than him then he would probably willingly give up his spot (I'm just guessing here, but Diles seems like a team player). I never thought that Adibi was as solid and consistent enough to beat out Diles after I saw him in a handful of plays here or there over the last two seasons.

I really want to see the team use more blitzes for Sharpton against the Saints this weekend because I don't remember how he did on Saturday in that role. But if he's even half the blitzer that Cushing is then I don't see any reason not to put the guy out there sooner.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2010, 12:59 AM
As well as Sharpton played this past game Diles was better. Heck, its thanks to Diles that Sharpton got his pick in the first place. I'm all for competition but unless Diles gets injured Sharpton won't beat him out when Cushing returns.

It was Sharpton's first game. I think he's got a higher upside than Diles does. Sharpton is still learning and could improve quite a bit over the next few weeks.

All I'm saying is that Sharpton is someone to watch because he could make a push for some PT and he could be a hard guy to get off the field once he gets there.

76Texan
08-18-2010, 01:34 AM

First look in the 3-4 with a little less than 4 mins to play in the first.
Diles missed his assignment at RILB as the TE released.
Mario playing at ROLB clearly showed the pass-off, but Diles charged on, reading the run.

Now, unless you tell me Mario was supposed to drop back no matter what, so Diles can go on the attack mode, he may have an excuse.

But this is a FB going in motion to become the second TE in the set.
This guy had to be Diles' primary assignment to start with.

As a defender, missing an assignment is the biggest no-no.
You're putting the whole team in jeopardy.

Pro-Bowl?
Come on!

76Texan
08-18-2010, 01:37 AM

What happened with him?

76Texan
08-18-2010, 01:45 AM

Also, one needs to remember that Diles was as unproven as Adibi to start last year.

b0ng
08-18-2010, 01:55 AM
Also, one needs to remember that Diles was as unproven as Adibi to start last year.

Ahhhhhhhhh, I call baloney. I remember Diles being extremely solid in 2008 before he broke his leg about halfway through the season. Like leading the team in tackles, and oh man it was a blow to the defense when he went down because we had to play somebody crappy (Morlon Greenwood?) in his place.

76Texan
08-18-2010, 02:32 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh, I call baloney. I remember Diles being extremely solid in 2008 before he broke his leg about halfway through the season. Like leading the team in tackles, and oh man it was a blow to the defense when he went down because we had to play somebody crappy (Morlon Greenwood?) in his place.

We went 3-5 with Diles in the line-up and ended up 8-8.
Adibi played in place of Diles.

Man, I thought you young guys would have better memory than mine!
(b0ng, I have read a lot of your posts throughout the years - I think I know where you're coming from).

bckey
08-18-2010, 04:01 AM
Ding ding!
I've always said I agreed with CB that if you can find a guy who can improve a position, that's the way to go.

It's still too early to tell, even for guys who endorsed the Sharpton pick like me (who also do not dislike Diles, but disagree with Kubiak's Pro-Bowl comment.)

Just let the competition bring out the best in them!

Ding ding is the stupidest post ever. You elevate yourself as the one and only holder to the answer of an unasked question when in reality you are just praising someone for posting something you agree with. Screw that. It is your friggin opinion.

bckey
08-18-2010, 04:07 AM
Did I already say I hate ding ding?

76Texan
08-18-2010, 04:29 AM
Ding ding is the stupidest post ever. You elevate yourself as the one and only holder to the answer of an unasked question when in reality you are just praising someone for posting something you agree with. Screw that. It is your friggin opinion.

What is it that is your idea of contribution to the subject of this thread?

76Texan
08-18-2010, 04:32 AM

You don't even realize that CB and I have a lot of different opinions!

Bring something to the discussion!
Why do you even have to attack me?

And you claim that other people have stupid post?

HOU-TEX
08-18-2010, 10:13 AM
First off, Carr Bombed, repped ya for the good post, bro.

However, I think we might be getting ahead of ourselves a bit here. Sharpton had a very good game for a rook against back ups. I still haven't re-watched the game, but iirc, a lot of Sharpton's tackles were for plus yardage. I think we need to give it some time before we annoint him a starter. Plus, Diles has done nothing but solidify his spot since camp started.

For those that are raggin on Kubiaks Pro Bowl comments about Diles. I'm pretty sure Kubiak knows a 2 down LB will probably not make the pro bowl. Maybe, just maybe, he really means that Diles can play like a pro bowler when he's on the field.

Like CB said, I'm all for competition and having players beat each other out for positions. But imo, Diles has not been beaten out and I don't think it's close.....yet.

thunderkyss
08-18-2010, 12:35 PM

I agree with this. Our LBs are lights out, playing down hill. However, the opposing QB usually doesn't have an issue finding an open receiver under 3 seconds. To me, that's the under coverage, which is the LBs responsibility 9 times out of 10.

I know Kubiak wants to stop the run, & I'm with him on that. If there isn't a huge drop-off against the run and Sharpton makes a huge difference in pass pro... so sorry Zac, I love ya man... but I'd leave Sharpton in the game.

Zac isn't terrible in pass coverage, but he isn't great. So for me, Sharpton will have to be better than good (hopefully great) before I put Diles on the bench.

beerlover
08-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Sharpton has flashed the ability to be an explosive tackler, especially inside. Good in zone coverage defending against the pass too but scares me if isolated in space even with a TE (remember one play near the goalline where a big OG had him locked up (could have been called holding) so unable to disengage & make a play that scored a late TD for Arizona). Has some impressive short area quickness and a great motor against the run. So he is best suited to play MLB, fill gaps & free up DeMeco to be the playmaker. He was slowed often by nagging injurys while playing for the Hurricanes, his combine was nothing sensational, but he is a football player who fits Frank Bush's scheme.

Diles is better fit outside, decent in open field coverage with better closing speed. they are somewhat interchangeable if needed but I just like Sharpton alot plugging the middle. maybe what we see is more of a rotation like the DT's? moving DeMeco/Cushing around depending on playcalling & match-ups while leaving Sharpton planted in the middle & Diles weakside. Yes, Texans have added quality depth with Sharpton, heck we had our list of LB's too we wanted the Texans to draft, but they weren't MLB's they where Weakside linebackers with specific skill sets for that position like range, speed, coverage & length. the only player similar to Sharpton, think rmartin65 liked him the most was Pat Angerer, selected by Colts late in round 2 (hear nothing but good things about him too).

badboy
08-18-2010, 01:36 PM
I think the main point we should keep in mind is it is nice to be able to idenitify more than one player at a position that could start. Depth is going to help us down the stretch.

hradhak
08-18-2010, 09:03 PM
After watching the game again tonight, I think Sharpton seems to be a solid player. He may not be the starter for the Colts, but he's definitely going to see playing time. And I think that's only gonna increase.

I think either way, this is a great problem to have. We are solid and deep at the LB position.