PDA

View Full Version : Notes On The Kicker Battle From Day Five

gary
08-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Kris went five for six today while Neil was a perfect six for six. A heated kicker battle rages on in traing camp nonetheless. Any thoughts?
http://www.foxsportshouston.com/08/03/10/Texans-Training-Camp-Notes-Day-5/landing_dynamo.html?blockID=282837&feedID=3716

painekiller
08-03-2010, 07:51 PM
what is not being said here is that they are using an arena ball goal post which is half the size of the NFL goal post.

gary
08-03-2010, 07:54 PM
what is not being said here is that they are using an arena ball goal post which is half the size of the NFL goal post.
Intersting.

GP
08-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't care if Kris Brown made every attempt, and made them blindfolded.

It's not a real game. There's nothing on the line. It's buddy vs. buddy, and not 52 other teammates glaring at you after you shank a 35-yard potential game winning FG in a real game.

My money, in a REAL game, is on Rackers. I just think Kris is done with the gig altogether. He's there, but he's not "there." What I saw last season was a guy who cratered and it wasn't just going through a dry spell. It looked like he was hitting the eject button on every trip onto the field. Even for an extra point attempt.

Nobody needs to forget last season. All his kicks this camp and preseason mean doodly-squat to THIS fan. Great guy, yada-yada-yada, but I just feel that his era is over here and Rackers hasn't shown any of the shakes that plagued Kris Brown. Maybe there was a Rackers injury that nagged him, but I want to see where he was shanking PATs and looked scared on his way out to kick FGs, even the short ones nicely lined up for him.

Man, this is the ONE area that I have got to see Kubiak make a concentrated effort to address out of camp. No kid gloves, please. I'm going to self-ban myself for a few days if Brown escapes the hangman's noose. I seriously will.

Tailgate
08-03-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't care if Kris Brown made every attempt, and made them blindfolded.

It's not a real game. There's nothing on the line. It's buddy vs. buddy, and not 52 other teammates glaring at you after you shank a 35-yard potential game winning FG in a real game.

My money, in a REAL game, is on Rackers. I just think Kris is done with the gig altogether. He's there, but he's not "there." What I saw last season was a guy who cratered and it wasn't just going through a dry spell. It looked like he was hitting the eject button on every trip onto the field. Even for an extra point attempt.

Nobody needs to forget last season. All his kicks this camp and preseason mean doodly-squat to THIS fan. Great guy, yada-yada-yada, but I just feel that his era is over here and Rackers hasn't shown any of the shakes that plagued Kris Brown. Maybe there was a Rackers injury that nagged him, but I want to see where he was shanking PATs and looked scared on his way out to kick FGs, even the short ones nicely lined up for him.

Man, this is the ONE area that I have got to see Kubiak make a concentrated effort to address out of camp. No kid gloves, please. I'm going to self-ban myself for a few days if Brown escapes the hangman's noose. I seriously will.

Well, to be fair....its not like theres "nothing" on the line. They are fighting for a job. And Kris has had a solid career up until last year. Its not like its impossible for him to get back on track and have a comeback year.

Btw.... I am thinking (somewhat hoping) Rackers wins the job in the end.

GP
08-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Well, to be fair....its not like theres "nothing" on the line. They are fighting for a job. And Kris has had a solid career up until last year. Its not like its impossible for him to get back on track and have a comeback year.

See, this is where you and I take different lines of thought.

From what I saw last year, there is no recovering from that far of a fall. It wasn't a minor slump. I think Kris Brown's mentality changed.

I know it sounds like I am really digging at the guy, but it is what it is: We can't have a repeat of the inconsistency. Not with the schedule we have this year.

I became a more critical and cynical Texans fan the day my eyes were opened by David Carr's departure from this team. I don't tend to hang on and have faith in guys; that they can salvage their train wreck situation. I am a believer that the food chain in the NFL is very, very clear cut: You're either going to have it, or you're not. And once you lose it, someone else is there to take advantage of the opportunity.

The ice is soooo thin in the NFL.

ATXtexanfan
08-03-2010, 08:37 PM
i'm on the kris brown is done bandwagon. all it will take is one miss in regular season and the nightmares will start.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2010, 08:40 PM

From what I saw last year, there is no recovering from that far of a fall. It wasn't a minor slump. I think Kris Brown's mentality changed.

I know it sounds like I am really digging at the guy, but it is what it is: We can't have a repeat of the inconsistency. Not with the schedule we have this year.

I became a more critical and cynical Texans fan the day my eyes were opened by David Carr's departure from this team. I don't tend to hang on and have faith in guys; that they can salvage their train wreck situation. I am a believer that the food chain in the NFL is very, very clear cut: You're either going to have it, or you're not. And once you lose it, someone else is there to take advantage of the opportunity.

The ice is soooo thin in the NFL.

The problems in Pittsburg were the ghostly winds. The problems in Houston are the ghosts.:kitten::kitten:

J_R
08-03-2010, 08:45 PM
i'm on the kris brown is done bandwagon. all it will take is one miss in regular season and the nightmares will start.

You're not mad that he already had a miss in camp?!

thunderkyss
08-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm all for a kicker battle and everything but Rackers has his own ghosts. I don't think we'll be in any better situation than if they hadn't have brought anyone out at all

GP
08-03-2010, 08:52 PM
The problem in Pittsburg was the ghostly winds. The problem in Houston are the ghosts.:kitten::kitten:

Well, whatever it is, it's not good.

I saw a guy, last season, who looked like he wanted a meteor to crash into Reliant Stadium rather than to have to kick a meaningful field goal.

That's why him making 5-of-6 in camp does ZERO for me. Camp is perhaps THE most distant environment you can create, in terms of being a real game scenario. There is no national TV audience. No packed stadium. No coach grimacing and already looking the other way before your ass even hits the field for the kick. No sideline full of players whose four quarters of blood and sweat depend on your field goal kick. No press conferences or reporters. No impact on W-L record.

Camp is the worst thing for this team, in terms of allowing Kris Brown to live in the bubble that will pop once he has one bad kick in regular season.

They made the effort to spend money on a second kicker. Frankly, I was shocked that we pulled the deal off. For a KICKER. So they better have brass balls on 'em when it comes to cut one of them, and they better not let nostalgia for Kris Brown keep them from doing the right thing.

This is actually a very humane way of firing Kris Brown. You give him the appearance that he has a shot at coming out on top, you make the other kicker produce on his own (because he doesn't just get awarded the job without earning it). And then it's nothing left to do but to say "You know, Kris is such a character guy. He's one of the best players and all around good guys the Texans have ever put on the field. We're gonna' miss Kris. He had a great camp but just barely missed out on this year's roster. I have no doubt that he's going to go somewhere else and do a solid job for any other team in the league."

I really hope they have the guts to go all the way, and that they don't back out due to him having a miracle camp and preseason effort. Because I don't think the regular season will mirror it.

GP
08-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm all for a kicker battle and everything but Rackers has his own ghosts. I don't think we'll be in any better situation than if they hadn't have brought anyone out at all

I don't think Rackers has the mental/emotional ghosts.

From what I gather, it's been the body.

That's very, very different problems.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2010, 08:55 PM

You're certainly correct............if this is only an appeasement "show" for the fans, with the winner already covertly ordained prior to TC.

ATXtexanfan
08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
You're not mad that he already had a miss in camp?!

to be honest i dont know why he is in camp. the guy has lost his mojo. cut him and move on.

Buffi2
08-03-2010, 09:15 PM
to be honest i dont know why he is in camp. the guy has lost his mojo. cut him and move on.

Ditto. The dude needs to go no matter how well he does in camp. I don't want to wait until the regular season for him to start missing field goals again - much less anything longer than that.

MoCityBull
08-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Kris is the only original Texan left on the team...with that said...CUT him :pirate:

BSofA04
08-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I think it's time to let Kris Brown go. His miss against the titans cut me real deep. All the emotion in that game, the drive by Schaub to put us in position to tie and he freaking misses.

Then on the last game of the season, his multiple misses against the Patriots caused me to lose all confidence. He no longer had the mental aspect he needs to be successful.

gary
08-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I am not ready to choose a kicker just yet IMO.

painekiller
08-03-2010, 10:14 PM

There is a reason he is not a Cardinal this season. The guy got hurt last season to be fair, but he had all but already lost the job there. He is a wonderful kicker on any kick inside of 40 yards. That is any ball that is staring inside the 23 yard line at the snap. Come on that is ridiculous for a NFL kicker.

Lucky
08-03-2010, 10:33 PM
There is a reason he is not a Cardinal this season.
There are also reasons Kris Brown should not be a Texan this season.

Rey
08-03-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm all for the kicker competition.

Personally, I am not rooting for either guy...It's hard to tell what either will do when clutch situations arise so I say the best kicker throughout training camp and pre-season wins the job...Might as well judge them on something tangible.

houstonspartan
08-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Well, whatever it is, it's not good.

I saw a guy, last season, who looked like he wanted a meteor to crash into Reliant Stadium rather than to have to kick a meaningful field goal.

That's why him making 5-of-6 in camp does ZERO for me. Camp is perhaps THE most distant environment you can create, in terms of being a real game scenario. There is no national TV audience. No packed stadium. No coach grimacing and already looking the other way before your ass even hits the field for the kick. No sideline full of players whose four quarters of blood and sweat depend on your field goal kick. No press conferences or reporters. No impact on W-L record.

Camp is the worst thing for this team, in terms of allowing Kris Brown to live in the bubble that will pop once he has one bad kick in regular season.

They made the effort to spend money on a second kicker. Frankly, I was shocked that we pulled the deal off. For a KICKER. So they better have brass balls on 'em when it comes to cut one of them, and they better not let nostalgia for Kris Brown keep them from doing the right thing.

This is actually a very humane way of firing Kris Brown. You give him the appearance that he has a shot at coming out on top, you make the other kicker produce on his own (because he doesn't just get awarded the job without earning it). And then it's nothing left to do but to say "You know, Kris is such a character guy. He's one of the best players and all around good guys the Texans have ever put on the field. We're gonna' miss Kris. He had a great camp but just barely missed out on this year's roster. I have no doubt that he's going to go somewhere else and do a solid job for any other team in the league."

I really hope they have the guts to go all the way, and that they don't back out due to him having a miracle camp and preseason effort. Because I don't think the regular season will mirror it.

GP,

Amen to all you are saying. Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. I think there is a difference between recognzing a "nice guy" and someone who is no longer effective.

The thought of Kris Brown kicking terrifies me. By the end of the season, I could barely watch his kicks. Something is wrong, and I would much, much rather take my chance with Rackers.

I think the better tack would have been to flat-out release him after last season, and start all over. The guy can't handle any kind of pressure at all. Ok, I get that he's an "original" Texan. So?

Sadly, I'm betting that Kris Brown will win out over Rackers simply because the coaches and owner likes him. I'm not convinced that the coaches have acquired the "whatever it takes" mentality to win.

El Tejano
08-04-2010, 01:08 AM

The ice is soooo thin in the NFL.If there is anyone that spoke of removing Kris Brown, it has been me. However you do have to remind yourself how we got Kris in the first place. He was missing FGs for Pittsburgh. Once he was removed from there, he kicked very well for us for 8 years, although you got to remember that horrible kick vs. Tenn that gave us Mario Williams. There is something to be said about a kicker that gets released from one team and then keeps his next job for eight years before going into a slump. Perhaps the competition brings him back to norm.

The one thing I am hoping for is that we also take a look at who is holding down the kicking duties on the kickoff special teams. I used to hate Kris' kicks to the 15 or 20 and not try to get the touchback.

SheTexan
08-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Blogkimmy went to Football 101 and ask Coach Marciano about the kicker competition. She posted his reply in her thread "some notes from tonight." Marciano told her KB is making 97% of his kicks and Rackers is making 96.5% of his.

Competition is good for the soul!! I truly believe that if Kris Brown thinks he has lost his "mojo" or that he just simply does not have what it takes anymore, he would be the first one to say "I'm done." He would not put the team or the fans through another season like he had last year. As long as he is out there kicking his ass off, and believing in himself, I'll keep my sig pic, and I'll be pulling for him all through camp. If he loses out in the end, then so be it. I hope he retires a TEXAN!!!! He is a brilliant financial planner, so I've heard, and a lot of the players go to him for advise in that field. He has a future here in Houston on or off the field.

GP
08-04-2010, 01:28 AM
If there is anyone that spoke of removing Kris Brown, it has been me. However you do have to remind yourself how we got Kris in the first place. He was missing FGs for Pittsburgh. Once he was removed from there, he kicked very well for us for 8 years, although you got to remember that horrible kick vs. Tenn that gave us Mario Williams. There is something to be said about a kicker that gets released from one team and then keeps his next job for eight years before going into a slump. Perhaps the competition brings him back to norm.

The one thing I am hoping for is that we also take a look at who is holding down the kicking duties on the kickoff special teams. I used to hate Kris' kicks to the 15 or 20 and not try to get the touchback.

Not trying to pick nits here, but I think Brown shanked the kick against the 49ers to grab us the Mario pick in next year's draft. LOL. There isn't anybody sane who thinks he legitimately shanked that kick.

I have thought about what you've said. In a sense, he did come to us after having a field goal blocked in the AFC Championship game during the 2001 season (his last in Pittsburgh). And Rackers botched a few before coming here. No kicker is perfect.

I just think, when we talk about degrees of shankiness...Kris has that chronic look to him. Truthfully, either guy could win the job and then be a goat in the regular season. This is where prayer, or positive thinking, or maybe pledges of chastity are needed. I think I will be praying and thinking positive.

El Tejano
08-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Not trying to pick nits here, but I think Brown shanked the kick against the 49ers to grab us the Mario pick in next year's draft. LOL. There isn't anybody sane who thinks he legitimately shanked that kick.

I have thought about what you've said. In a sense, he did come to us after having a field goal blocked in the AFC Championship game during the 2001 season (his last in Pittsburgh). And Rackers botched a few before coming here. No kicker is perfect.

I just think, when we talk about degrees of shankiness...Kris has that chronic look to him. Truthfully, either guy could win the job and then be a goat in the regular season. This is where prayer, or positive thinking, or maybe pledges of chastity are needed. I think I will be praying and thinking positive.

I personally think he had the season he had because he got comfortable. He made so many game winning kicks - two against Miami that come to mind, and that great one in Green Bay, add in the fact that noone was challenging him and you got a kicker that's ready to start choking. Lost focus. So then when he starts missing, he doesn't know what to do.

That one against the 49ers was bad but nothing beat that total shank against Tenn after Jerome Mathis put us in FG position to win that game. To me, that was Kris wanting Bush.

GP
08-04-2010, 01:52 AM
I personally think he had the season he had because he got comfortable. He made so many game winning kicks - two against Miami that come to mind, and that great one in Green Bay, add in the fact that noone was challenging him and you got a kicker that's ready to start choking. Lost focus. So then when he starts missing, he doesn't know what to do.

That one against the 49ers was bad but nothing beat that total shank against Tenn after Jerome Mathis put us in FG position to win that game. To me, that was Kris wanting Bush.

OK, am I not right on this? I thought the final game of that season was AT the 49ers and Brown shanked it badly, giving us the 1st pick. I thought it was losing that particular game that gave us the No. 1 over the Saints.

Going to bed. 2 tired 2 look it up.

By the way, I'm gone with the family until Monday. No Internet access, but lots of trees and cool weather. So nobody get the idea that I got pissed off and abandoned all of you. You're just going to have to deal with not having me around for awhile. So stop your sniveling and whining. Pansies.

Malloy
08-04-2010, 07:16 AM
The problems in Pittsburg were the ghostly winds. The problems in Houston are the ghosts.:kitten::kitten:

As long as the problem is not wind :)

thunderkyss
08-04-2010, 08:21 AM
There are also reasons Kris Brown should not be a Texan this season.

I'm just saying bringing Rackers in isn't much of a competition, if you as me. Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other. I don't know that we win either way.

We could have brought 4 or 5 FA rookie Kickers in here, that are just ready to make a name for themselves.

I just don't see Rackers as much of an improvement.

gtexan02
08-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Even though I really like everything Ive heard about Brown as a person, the fact that he's still on the team at all is a bad sign for the Texans.

After a season like that, he should have been released in the middle of the season.

If multiple running backs can be demoted for fumbling, why is it that a kicker who single handedly costs us more than 1 game is still starting, let alone getting a chance to keep his job?

silvrhand
08-04-2010, 10:10 AM

*BLINK* as a steelers fan see why they got rid of him in Pittsburgh..

gary
08-04-2010, 10:28 AM
There are not many great kickers around the NFL period.

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Personally, I don't care who wins this competition. To me, they're pretty much different types of the same guy. They're both solid kickers who've choked under pressure recently.

rmartin65
08-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Personally, I don't care who wins this competition. To me, they're pretty much different types of the same guy. They're both solid kickers who've choked under pressure recently.

Exactly the way I see it. This "competition" seems like its more for show than for substance.

HOU-TEX
08-04-2010, 10:57 AM

I agree. I don't care much for kickers in general, but obviously understand the need of consistency at the position. At least most of Rackers chokes have been in the playoffs, so at least he's got that going for him.

eriadoc
08-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Please back up that assertion.

Rackers and Brown have had similar careers to this point, to be honest. They've both been inconsistent from one year to the next, they've both had great seasons and not-so-great seasons. They've both choked big kicks, and they've both made booming long clutch kicks (check out Rackers in '05; one of the best kicker seasons ever). The real question is: which one will have a good season this year? I have no doubt that Brown can have a great season, and I have no doubt Rackers can have a great season. It's all between the ears for these guys. Being a bit closer to the Brown situation, I can say that I have less faith in him, but I also recognize that it's a toss up.

Rey
08-04-2010, 12:00 PM

That's how I feel about it.

Exactly the way I see it. This "competition" seems like its more for show than for substance.

I posted earlier in the thread, but you have two accomplished Kickers who have recently choked in game situations...

I don't think they can accurately judge what their state of mind will be in those situations again so they might as well create a competition so they can judge them on something tangible.

I don't think the competition is just for show because that would indicate that they already have picked a winner and are just going through the motions. I believe that the best kicker will win...I don't have a preference...

HJam72
08-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I don't know. Maybe my sig can advise me on this one...

gary
08-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I hope the Texans are not in a lot of game winning FG games this season as it is.

HuttoKarl
08-04-2010, 12:30 PM

I've been on that bandwagon since Mason Crosby was a draft prospect.

disaacks3
08-04-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm just saying bringing Rackers in isn't much of a competition, if you as me. Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other. I don't know that we win either way.

We could have brought 4 or 5 FA rookie Kickers in here, that are just ready to make a name for themselves.

I just don't see Rackers as much of an improvement. Find me an available FA kicker that had a higher FG% last year than Rackers.

Wanting something better doesn't mean its available.

OzzO
08-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Kris is the only original Texan left on the team...with that said...CUT him :pirate:

Oooh - maybe that'll lift the curse from the C&C dee dee dee factory and we'll break the playoff barrier for the first time!.

:whip:

KB lost me when he missed 2 FG's and a PAT last year in the Pats game.

OK, am I not right on this? I thought the final game of that season was AT the 49ers and Brown shanked it badly, giving us the 1st pick. I thought it was losing that particular game that gave us the No. 1 over the Saints.

GP - you're right by the way. Bush bowl (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/02/sports/football/02niners.html?_r=1)was against the Niners... and I don't think it was intentional either.

Second Honeymoon
08-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Go away, Kris Brown.

Rackers was the best alternative around, and with KB's shenanigan's with Bob McNair and the NFLPA, he has to go.

McNair was getting inside information from Kris Brown, and both those guys should be ashamed of themselves..especially KB. That is traitorous and I am sure some of the players aren't too fond of him after that dishonorable act.

Then the guy goes out and has an awful season costing the Texans a playoff spot and some big wins.

GO AWAY KRIS BROWN!! YOU AREN'T WANTED AROUND HERE ANYMORE!!

HOU-TEX
08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Oooh - maybe that'll lift the curse from the C&C dee dee dee factory and we'll break the playoff barrier for the first time!.

:whip:

KB lost me when he missed 2 FG's and a PAT last year in the Pats game.

Ain't that the truth. I watched that game again a couple nights ago. KB should've got on his knees in front of Pollard and Mario after the game.

gary
08-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Both have my full support and may the best man win the job.

Texan_Lee
08-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Very interesting posts, all of them... I see it like this though.

With all the reports I have seen on TV, I get the feeling that Kubiak plans on keeping Kris on the team, at least for this season. Why I have this feeling... I figured this when I listen to how he answers questions about the kickers, and I see it in his physical characteristics as he talks.

In Kris's defense, he had a bad season last year for sure, but there were a few other games in the past years he had a hard time with as well... but he came back. Will he do it this time??? I honestly don't know, part of me wouldn't mind seeing the ol' Kris from the first few seasons where he was the highest point scorer on the team. Heck, I think Kris was ranked 19th last year between Kickers.

Now Rackers on the other hand isn't a rookie anymore either... he has been in the league for a few years now. Is he better than Kris? Compared to last year, Yes, he probably is since Kris went to who knows where it was he went. Will he be a good addition to the team? I guess that remains to be seen.

I am not sure if I want to see Kris gone and Rackers to take that position, I still need to see more, especially in a real game and not how they do in training camp.

HOWEVER!!! The BIG question here is, who will help the team get to the Playoffs, Brown or Rackers? With what we all witnessed last year, I have a feeling a majority of the fans are going to side with Rackers... They each have been in the league for 10 years now, they are both averaging around 77% - 78% success of field goals, which is still pretty damn good.

I really don't know which way to go yet, I would really see how they both do the first three - maybe all of the pre-season games before I make my decision.

houstonspartan
08-04-2010, 05:54 PM

With all the reports I have seen on TV, I get the feeling that Kubiak plans on keeping Kris on the team, at least for this season. Why I have this feeling... I figured this when I listen to how he answers questions about the kickers, and I see it in his physical characteristics as he talks.

In Kris's defense, he had a bad season last year for sure, but there were a few other games in the past years he had a hard time with as well... but he came back. Will he do it this time??? I honestly don't know, part of me wouldn't mind seeing the ol' Kris from the first few seasons where he was the highest point scorer on the team. Heck, I think Kris was ranked 19th last year between Kickers.

Now Rackers on the other hand isn't a rookie anymore either... he has been in the league for a few years now. Is he better than Kris? Compared to last year, Yes, he probably is since Kris went to who knows where it was he went. Will he be a good addition to the team? I guess that remains to be seen.

I am not sure if I want to see Kris gone and Rackers to take that position, I still need to see more, especially in a real game and not how they do in training camp.

HOWEVER!!! The BIG question here is, who will help the team get to the Playoffs, Brown or Rackers? With what we all witnessed last year, I have a feeling a majority of the fans are going to side with Rackers... They each have been in the league for 10 years now, they are both averaging around 77% - 78% success of field goals, which is still pretty damn good.

I really don't know which way to go yet, I would really see how they both do the first three - maybe all of the pre-season games before I make my decision.

Sorry, but, I want to win some games. It's pretty clear that at this point Rackers gives us a better shot at doing so than Brown. As others have said, Kris was fine back when the games didn't mean much. But when the pressure was on, it was over. This season is too important.

Do we know if Rackers will be better than Brown? Of course not. But at this point, I'm for fresh blood and having a kicker who won't make me sweat every time he takes the field.

spurstexanstros
08-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I think it's time to let Kris Brown go. His miss against the titans cut me real deep. All the emotion in that game, the drive by Schaub to put us in position to tie and he freaking misses.

Then on the last game of the season, his multiple misses against the Patriots caused me to lose all confidence. He no longer had the mental aspect he needs to be successful.

that was the fastest i have heard 70,000 go silent.....thanks for reminding me....at least you didnt remind me of the colts miss...dang

spurstexanstros
08-04-2010, 06:07 PM

we would have been in playoffs if he makes one of the three missed kicks.....so you are right on why the fans are bent, but i think that the competition is closer than you think....if KB kicks a few benders in non important preseason games , he is gone. Remember he missed extra points and fgs that would have given the Texans a larger leads ie...kick that would have put Texans up by 20 against Colts

Kris missed alot of big kicks last year true...but he missed alot of the close range non pressure ones as well... its time for a change

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2010, 09:10 PM
My concern on Rackers is his "long" field goal percentage completion. Brown as been commendable on those, in general.

On the other hand, if our established potent offense reappears, and our new D shows up as improved as billed, those longer attempts should be an uncommon demand and accuracy on shorter field goals a premium.

GuerillaBlack
08-04-2010, 10:50 PM

Actually, Brown has always been bad when the pressure is on. It's why he got cut from the Steelers. It's also why he did okay for the Texans, until it became clear we were in playoff contention. Dude can't handle the pressure. Cut him and give the job to Rackers.

eriadoc
08-05-2010, 12:08 AM
My concern on Rackers is his "long" field goal percentage completion. Brown as been commendable on those, in general.

Did he suffer a leg injury or something? In '05 he was booming long kicks with great accuracy (19/21 at 40+ and 6/7 at 50+). I lucked into getting him on my fantasy team, which is the only reason I really remembered that. Then every year after that, his range dropped. Last year, he was 6/7 at 40+, but did not try any 50+.

mattieuk
08-05-2010, 12:15 AM

Then he cost us millions. If we'd been the 2nd pick, I'm pretty sure the Saints would have had Reggie at number one, and we'd saved a few million in the process!

And I'm gunning for Kris to keep his job. Yea, he had a poor one last season, but I hold an irrational, emotional attachment to the guy.

GuerillaBlack
08-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Then he cost us millions. If we'd been the 2nd pick, I'm pretty sure the Saints would have had Reggie at number one, and we'd saved a few million in the process!

And I'm gunning for Kris to keep his job. Yea, he had a poor one last season, but I hold an irrational, emotional attachment to the guy.

Actually, if we had won the game, I believe we would have had the third or fourth pick in the draft. Something with strength of schedules.

eriadoc
08-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Neil Rackers Can Miss From Anywhere (http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2010/01/11/neil-rackers-can-miss-from-anywhere/)

There was a time not long ago when Neil Rackers was considered one of the best kickers in the NFL. In fact, in 2005 he set a record for number of field goals in a season (40) and converted on 95 percent of his attempts.

Rackers was noticeably less accurate over the next two seasons (his conversion percentage fell to 76 percent in '06 and 70 percent in '07), but all misses aren't created the same.

It's one thing to, say, honk a 50-yarder in the second quarter of a meaningless Week 4 game. It's something else entirely to have developed a habit of doinking makable tries on national television in critical situations.

Through the magic of YouTube we've documented some of Rackers' most memorable attempts below:

Video at the link.

eriadoc
08-05-2010, 12:26 AM
Just trying to find whatever I can about Rackers, and sharing as I go. Here's one random blogger (http://arizonacardinals.contentquake.com/2007/11/26/player-spotlight-neil-rackers/) talking about Rackers' range, FWIW. Also some worthless factoids at the end.

Ever seen an 85-yd FG??

Well, I have. During Cardinals training camp in Flagstaff, AZ (elevation 7000 feet - take THAT Jason Elam!) I had the pleasure of watching Neil Rackers kick several 70+ yarders. Amazing!

After Rackers’ missed FG Sunday against San Francisco, I figured we all needed some reminding about how good he actually is….

Some Neil Rackers factoids:

eriadoc
08-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Found this article (http://www.nicknovak.net/nicksticks.html), which is about kicker Nick Novak. It talks about how the Cards signed him to replace Rackers in Dec. '05, but Rackers returned before the '06 season.

The Cardinals signed Novak on Dec. 3, after Pro Bowl kicker Neil Rackers tore his left calf muscle in practice. Novak played in three games with the Cardinals. Although Rackers returned earlier than expected, the Cardinals kept Novak on the roster until Aug. 30.

"It was pretty much for insurance purposes," said Chad Wiestling, Novak's agent. "In case anything happened to Neil Rackers, they'd have a great kicker to fall back on. Unfortunately, a young guy like Nick didn't have much of a shot replacing a Pro Bowl kicker long-term."

So I'm wondering if the calf injury affected his range. Found this (http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100118/SPORTS/100119945/-1/rss04) as well, dated Jan. 18, 2010:

15. Neil Rackers' leg ain't what she used to be. In 2004 and 2005, the Cardinals' kicker had two of the best long-distance seasons in recent memory, going a combined 11 for 16 from 50+ yards and getting a reputation as the league's best bomber. Since, he's gone 5 for 18 and didn't even try one from 50+ in the regular season. Saturday, he tried one from 51 – hit it great, right down the middle … and a couple of yards short.

mattieuk
08-05-2010, 01:12 AM
Actually, if we had won the game, I believe we would have had the third or fourth pick in the draft. Something with strength of schedules.

We would have had a strength of schedule battle against the 49ers according to Mr Wikipedia, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NFL_season#Statistical_leaders) so it would have been either 2nd or 3rd.

According to this author (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/02/sports/football/02niners.html), and his quote from Bob, we'd have been picking second (although the quote from Bob hardly looks like an overly thought out or accurate one). Not that it matters, I was just musing.

House of Pain
08-05-2010, 02:10 AM
I'd rather lose one season do to Rackers than lose another because of Kris Brown.

Let the stink of CC finally be off this team.

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Found this article (http://www.nicknovak.net/nicksticks.html), which is about kicker Nick Novak. It talks about how the Cards signed him to replace Rackers in Dec. '05, but Rackers returned before the '06 season.

So I'm wondering if the calf injury affected his range. Found this (http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100118/SPORTS/100119945/-1/rss04) as well, dated Jan. 18, 2010:

He tore his left calf muscle. He is a right foot kicker. Therefore, he relies significantly on his left foot strength to push off of for a long powerful kick. Unless it is a subtotal or total tear of the the calf muscle, rehab is usually less than six months. If it is the former type of tear, surgery is recommended, with a rehab usually of under 1 year. If rehab alone is attempted on subtotal tears, complete rehab may be anywhere from 1-2 years, and chronic problems/recurrence is not uncommon.

Last year Rackers sustained an aggravation of an already nagging groin injury that he was playing with a good part of the season. That type of injury's effect on a kicker is self-evident.

thunderkyss
08-05-2010, 08:30 PM
I'd rather lose one season do to Rackers than lose another because of Kris Brown.

Let the stink of CC finally be off this team.

This makes sense..

I can get behind this.

But if signing Rackers takes 50+ yard field goals off the table... I don't know.

Goldensilence
08-05-2010, 09:24 PM
This makes sense..

I can get behind this.

But if signing Rackers takes 50+ yard field goals off the table... I don't know.

With all the attention put into improving the running game I'm hoping that we're much better inside the red zone. Also will help to have a healthy OD.

Those two alone make me confident that we won't NEED him to be booming long FGs, rather that if he gets his range back it becomes a luxury.

J_R
08-05-2010, 11:21 PM
NickScurfield (http://twitter.com/NickScurfield)

From 55 yards, Brown was 1-of-2 with a miss of the post and crossbar. Rackers was 2-of-2. Overall, both were 6-of-7. Rackers' miss from 48

SheTexan
08-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Has anyone noticed what an odd approach Rackers has to the ball? Made me nervous. Anyway, looks like a toss up right now. May the best man win!!:fans::fieldgoal

barrett
08-06-2010, 01:14 AM
This makes sense..

I can get behind this.

I'm wondering if we're going to have much difficulty getting beyond the opponents 34 this season. Having said that, I get what you're saying, and I can get behind it too.

gary
08-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Anyway, looks like a toss up right now. May the best man win!!:fans::fieldgoalAmen.

thunderkyss
08-06-2010, 10:43 AM
NickScurfield (http://twitter.com/NickScurfield)

From 55 yards, Brown was 1-of-2 with a miss of the post and crossbar. Rackers was 2-of-2. Overall, both were 6-of-7. Rackers' miss from 48

In all fairness, if they aren't kicking over a defensive line, this number really doesn't mean a whole lot. If the coaches aren't putting them on the field with a 50+ yard kick, it has nothing to do with how far he can kick it in practice.

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 11:39 AM
In all fairness, if they aren't kicking over a defensive line, this number really doesn't mean a whole lot. If the coaches aren't putting them on the field with a 50+ yard kick, it has nothing to do with how far he can kick it in practice.

From what I saw in one of the videos, I got the feeling these kicks were in full ST practice with both lines going at it.

Cjeremy635
08-16-2010, 10:05 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd keep this one going.

What's up with our kickoffs? I thought I heard that Rackers had a pretty strong leg and could get us some touchbacks. I couldn't help but notice that they were definately coming up short. I know Brown isn't known for his touchbacks, but I was hoping Rackers would be. Any thoughts? Am I wrong about either Rackers or Brown?

JB
08-16-2010, 10:14 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I'd keep this one going.

What's up with our kickoffs? I thought I heard that Rackers had a pretty strong leg and could get us some touchbacks. I couldn't help but notice that they were definately coming up short. I know Brown isn't known for his touchbacks, but I was hoping Rackers would be. Any thoughts? Am I wrong about either Rackers or Brown?

Yeah, you are wrong about Rackers. I remember when we first brought him here there was a lot of talks about his leg not being as strong... or I am/was drunk.

hookinreds
08-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Rackers does not have the big leg and wont be thumping them into the endzone on kickoffs. If they go toe to toe during the preseason Brown will keep getting a paycheck from the Texans. Becuase they are both good kickers, I don't know how a decision will be made unless someone shanks one. The way I see it, it's Brown's job to lose and in the end Rackers will be picked up by another team. Only on field time will tell.

JB
08-16-2010, 10:42 PM
I noticed that Rackers kick-off were not only short, but also seemed very low. Am I wrong in this?

noxiousdog
08-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Seems to me there isn't a big difference between either of them. To me, the risk of Brown outweighs any possible talent deficit of Rackers.

Norg
08-17-2010, 02:45 AM
at the end of the day i just feel like Neil will be our kicker

just got that huntch

bah007
08-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Brown definitely has the stronger leg.

Rackers the more accurate one.

HOU-TEX
08-17-2010, 10:17 AM
I noticed that Rackers kick-off were not only short, but also seemed very low. Am I wrong in this?

They were definitely low, like line-drive low. I didn't have a problem with his distance either. They both kicked to, or within the 5, right? I could very well be mistaken.

Ole Miss Texan
08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
I did a quick comparision from nfl.com/stats on both Brown and Rackers regarding Kickoffs.

Analyzed as 2009/Last 4 Years/Career

Kris Brown
Kick Offs: 82/314/802
Touchbacks: 10/40/86
TB%: 12/13/11
Avg KO: 66.2/64.6/62.3

Neil Rackers
Kick Offs: 65/310/635
Touchbacks: 14/63/128
TB%: 22/20/20
Avg KO: 63.4/64.7/63.5

Turns out Rackers has more touchbacks and a higher touchback percentage. Rackers' Avg Kick Off distance as compared to Brown's if marginal as is Avg Return (see below).

An additional aside: Average Return is tough to compare as it's very dependant on the entire special teams' skill/coaching/execution. However, due to the concern that Rackers may kick it low, I thought the different trajectory, landing spot, time in air, etc. could have an effect on the teams ability to get downfield and tackle. Due to the average return comparison, it doesn't appear that it should be a huge concern. (Note that return yards were not found so the 4 year avg is the average of the 4 year averages. if that makes sense! it's a less accurate figure than Total Return Yards/Total Returns)

Brown's Avg Rtn: 22.5/22.9/21.9
Racker's Avg Rtn: 20.5/23.7/23.9

JB
08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
They were definitely low, like line-drive low. I didn't have a problem with his distance either. They both kicked to, or within the 5, right? I could very well be mistaken.

Yeah, they were to the 10 anyway. I didn't really have a problem with the distance, but a kick that low should be in the end zone, imo.

HOU-TEX
08-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah, they were to the 10 anyway. I didn't really have a problem with the distance, but a kick that low should be in the end zone, imo.

I think he has to kick that low just to get it that far. If you watch him in practice, his field goals are just the opposite. They seem a lot higher and sorta like a lob compared to Browns line-drive field goals. Maybe Rackers foot to ball contact is a bit lower than Browns? Who knows?

*I need to nut-check myself for breaking down kickers*

JB
08-17-2010, 11:12 AM

:lol:

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
I think he has to kick that low just to get it that far. If you watch him in practice, his field goals are just the opposite. They seem a lot higher and sorta like a lob compared to Browns line-drive field goals. Maybe Rackers foot to ball contact is a bit lower than Browns? Who knows?

I punched myself in the junk just for reading this thread...

Señor Stan
08-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Since this competition involves kickers, it will most likely end up in a draw.

Sincerely,

Soccer.

gary
08-17-2010, 12:06 PM
It is clutch kicks where both have failed.

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 12:07 PM

Sincerely,

Soccer.

And just as exciting!!

Regards,

Field Hockey.

HOU-TEX
08-17-2010, 12:25 PM
And just as exciting!!

Regards,

Field Hockey.

Just riveting, I must say

Sincerely,

Under-water basket weaving

Cjeremy635
08-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Just riveting, I must say

Sincerely,

Under-water basket weaving

I concur.

Regards,

Competitive speed knitting

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 12:43 PM
We're all in!!

Signed,

Students of Field Equipment Operation A.K.A. Tractor Driving at U.C. Davis

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 12:58 PM
I've got it... I figured out our kicking situation. Forget Kris and Neil. We need to bring in Nigel "The Leg" Gruff and Kathy Ireland:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:jNH5wZT2YauBTM:http://blitzmagonline.com/userfiles/image/Nigel+Gruff.jpg&t=1

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.cinematical.com/media/2008/01/ireland.jpg

Sinbad could be the holder.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/top-ten-chicago-sports/assets_c/2010/03/necessaryroughness-thumb-572xauto-92084.jpg

HOU-TEX
08-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Posting pictures from Necessary Roughness should automatically equate to negative rep.

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Posting pictures from Necessary Roughness should automatically equate to negative rep.

Or revocation of my man card?? :D

C'mon now, Kathy Ireland was hot.

Texas T
08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Or revocation of my man card?? :D

C'mon now, Kathy Ireland was hot.

I just wanted to be on your side in this, Bill. I'm betting if Kathy Ireland was our kicker the other team would never recover because they would be paying attention to her (okay I haven't seen her in a while but I'm betting it would still work).

Gotta love those trick plays!!

ChampionTexan
08-17-2010, 01:40 PM
We're all in!!

Signed,

Students of Field Equipment Operation A.K.A. Tractor Driving at U.C. Davis

You're all a bunch of pansies!

Signed

Extreme Ironing Competitors

http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/extreme_ironing_competition.jpg

drs23
08-17-2010, 05:31 PM
You're all a bunch of pansies!

Signed

Extreme Ironing Competitors

http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/extreme_ironing_competition.jpg

OK CmpTxn, I think the Extreme Ironers get the trophy. That's funny!

gary
08-17-2010, 06:49 PM
I'll just have to be the kicker.

Brisco_County
08-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I'll just have to be the kicker.

You can't qualify; You must be over the age of 37.

But's it's also a picture of Sinbad, which also equates negative rep, which results in a double negative equating positive rep.

ATXtexanfan
08-17-2010, 08:03 PM

Sincerely,

Soccer.

i have never been so pissed about not being able to rep, +1, that was funny

Texan_Bill
08-17-2010, 08:04 PM
You can't qualify; You must be over the age of 37.

But's it's also a picture of Sinbad, which also equates negative rep, which results in a double negative equating positive rep.

Repped in return for the double negative equaling a positive!

b0ng
08-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Clicked on the thread to see if something had happened in practice with the kickers.

Got pictures of competitive ironing instead.

steelbtexan
08-17-2010, 08:10 PM
It is clutch kicks where both have failed.

Truth

JB
08-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Clicked on the thread to see if something had happened in practice with the kickers.

Got pictures of competitive ironing instead.

Remember where you are...

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2010, 08:18 PM
We need to bring in this guy for a tryout as a kicker and/or punter.

CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YMAfjN7VjQ)

gary
08-17-2010, 08:20 PM
TruthThat is the reason I don't buy into this kicker battle hype but that's just me.

Ole Miss Texan
08-17-2010, 10:06 PM

Sincerely,

Soccer.

i have never been so pissed about not being able to rep, +1, that was funny

I got him for you. That's pretty friggin clever! LOL :spit:

BullNation4Life
08-17-2010, 10:36 PM

FAKE! That guy was clearly using a ball with a magnet in it, being remotely controlled by someone off camera.....

Wonder if he could do that with an oblong ball....

drs23
08-17-2010, 10:44 PM

Dayum! If that wasn't staged it was most impressive!

b0ng
08-17-2010, 11:09 PM
FAKE! That guy was clearly using a ball with a magnet in it, being remotely controlled by someone off camera.....

Wonder if he could do that with an oblong ball....

Apparently it's real (http://www.youtube.com/user/nqtv#p/u/4/17G5u6obrTY).

EDIT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9mi_Gaillard)

JB
08-17-2010, 11:10 PM

I don't care what, that was awesome!

C Madd
08-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Remi Gaillard's Saving Private Ryan prank was pretty damn funny. Not sure how many takes it took to do make the 2 vids but they are still sick, regardless.

GP
08-18-2010, 12:54 AM
Remi Gaillard's Saving Private Ryan prank was pretty damn funny. Not sure how many takes it took to do make the 2 vids but they are still sick, regardless.

I liked the comments: One guy was asking "Where does this guy live, tits everywhere!" Classic.

The user's name on that comment was Bill_Texan. Sounds familiar. j/k, j/k

One nude beach and a guy thinks its paradise. LOL.