PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak is gaga for Earl Mitchell

dalemurphy
08-03-2010, 08:41 AM
(on the progress of DT Earl Mitchell has made in his first team practice) "Well, he has been a very flashy player. He's made a lot of plays. He's quick and strong. He's a heck of a draft choice. We need somebody in there to get active to help us to get our rotation. He sure looks like he has a chance. But it's very early so we'll keep going, but I've been impressed with him."

Kubiak isn't prone to effusive praise and excited utterances. He's clearly been very high on Mitchell and then yesterday's comments really solidified for me that he is jumping out of his skin with excitement about this guy.

Here's my reaction to his jubilance:

God Please Don't Ron Dayne Earl Mitchell
Dallas Cowboy fans really don’t understand this mindset. They believe that they have some sort of God-given right to win every game they ever play. You could talk to a Cowboy fan during the Dave Campo era, and they would have bravado about how Quincy Carter was going to carve up the opposing defense, Troy Hambrick was going to run over the LB corp and don’t even get me started about safety Roy Williams! My uncle (a typical and rabid Cowboy fan) would argue with me for hours about how much better Roy Williams was than Ronnie Lott ever dreamed of being.

We’re Texan fans, though. I certainly am. So, I went to bed last night feeling so good about Kubiak’s effusive praise of Earl Mitchell http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6241. After all, I saw the same thing this weekend at camp http://www.texansbullblog.com/training-camp-day-3-pads-contact/news/ (read #1 from the article)… all of our Bloggin’ friends have noticed similar things. The last time it was this clear the Texans had struck gold with a player in a position of need like this was in 2006… And his name was Charles Spencer!

So, as I was saying, I went to bed absolutely thrilled about our new DT and how he is going to impact our interior pass rush and DL depth. Unfortunately, I woke up this morning with a series of horrible images in my head. They didn’t all make sense but they included Ron Dayne, an Angry God, and an evil wizard from Indianapolis all huddled together conspiring against me.

So, I don’t know what to do but plead with God, “LET ME HAVE THIS! PLEASE. LET ME HAVE THIS! Don’t shatter Earl’s tibia or his femur or crush his skull with Ron Dayne’s foot, belly, or anything else.

I feel a little better now. You have to get ahead of these things or terrible things can happen!

http://www.texansbullblog.com

TimeKiller
08-03-2010, 08:44 AM
I hope Earl does more of the crushing RBs than getting crushed.

CDNTexansFan
08-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Depth like this is what separates good teams from the truly elite. If Earl can carry this over to the preseason, it spells bad news for opposing QBs! Our front seven from top to bottom no matter who ends up starting is looking NASTY!

IDEXAN
08-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Kubiaks right, Mitchell does look like a very good Draft pick. But I'd have to temper the positive vibes by saying I'm as excited about Mitchell as I'm disappointed about Kareem Jackson, based upon the first few days of practice.

Kaiser Toro
08-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Kubiaks right, Mitchell does look like a very good Draft pick. But I'd have to temper the positive vibes by saying I'm as excited about Mitchell as I'm disappointed about Kareem Jackson, based upon the first few days of practice.

I would love to hear what you have seen at Training Camp that makes Jackson a disappointment, as well as anything positive.

IDEXAN
08-03-2010, 10:07 AM
I would love to hear what you have seen at Training Camp that makes Jackson a disappointment, as well as anything positive.
I'm a bit too far removed from H-Town zip codes to attend all the TC practices, so I'm making reference to the "vibes" I'm hearing 'bout the players on the different MBs, especially the rookies.
Let me just sum it by saying that there is so much positive vibe/noise about Mitchell that I don't think people would mind if he were the Texans first round pick, just as they'd also prefer that Jackson was our 3rd rounder since he seems to be falling way short of expectations for the first-pick.
For example I'm hearing that he's getting beat badly by the Texans WRs, and I don't mean just Andre J. And other reports indicate that he seems confused, his focus or instincts are lacking. And he's reportedly had problems keeping up with receivers on deep-routes, even though IIRC he reportedly ran his 40 in the 4.4s ? On the positive side, I'm hearing he's a "good kid" to use Kubiaks vernacular, good team guy so I guess he's got the "intangibles" covered.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm a bit too far removed from H-Town zip codes to attend all the TC practices, so I'm making reference to the "vibes" I'm hearing 'bout the players on the different MBs, especially the rookies.
Let me just sum it by saying that there is so much positive vibe/noise about Mitchell that I don't think people would mind if he were the Texans first round pick, just as they'd also prefer that Jackson was our 3rd rounder since he seems to be falling way short of expectations for the first-pick.
For example I'm hearing that he's getting beat badly by the Texans WRs, and I don't mean just Andre J. And other reports indicate that he seems confused, his focus or instincts are lacking. And he's reportedly had problems keeping up with receivers on deep-routes, even though IIRC he reportedly ran his 40 in the 4.4s ? On the positive side, I'm hearing he's a "good kid" to use Kubiaks vernacular, good team guy so I guess he's got the "intangibles" covered.

I'm not sure where you're getting this mumbo-jumbo from, but I think it's a bit early in camp to be coming to conclusions on K Jax. CB is much more difficult to learn than DT. Mitchell simply blasting somebody off the line is a bit easier than covering NFL WR's 4 days into camp, no?

El Tejano
08-03-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure where you're getting this mumbo-jumbo from, but I think it's a bit early in camp to be coming to conclusions on K Jax. CB is much more difficult to learn than DT. Mitchell simply blasting somebody off the line is a bit easier than covering NFL WR's 4 days into camp, no?

Exactly. The way I see it is if a guy like Mitchell is being disruptive, KJax will make alot of plays.

TimeKiller
08-03-2010, 01:28 PM
KJ looking bad? That there's why they have camp. He'll be a fine player with some practice.

HJam72
08-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Right now, before it's too late, resign Mitchell to a 10-year gazillion dollar contract and cut KJ. We gotta get ready for the season.

Texecutioner
08-03-2010, 01:50 PM

LIke TK said, that's why they have camp. What did you expect out of him? Did you think that he was going to be in there shutting down Jacoby Jones and a crafty vet like Walter right away. Hell, I won't even mention AJ. AJ would make any rookie that hasn't even attended a full training camp look like a joke.

I think he'll be a fine player. It's just a matter of how well he can play in this first season when we really need him in the secondary to play like a vet. He's going to have a huge responsibility on him this season and if he doesn't play well that will be more on the coaches than it will be on him since they didn't get any solid veteran CB to play the #1 spot and they're putting that burden on a first year player. It's not his fault that he's a rookie having to play the #1 CB spot on a team with high expectations that's going to be facing some real tough offenses this year.

badboy
08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Everyone knows I was pushing Kyle Wilson for CB and why but I have not heard anything negative on Kareem Jackson that was identified on this thread. Everything has been positive. WIth the number of posters that usually goes to TC, I would have thought negatives on Jackson would have been inundating this MB. McClain has been and has said nothing but Jackson is well thought of.

IDEXAN
08-03-2010, 02:13 PM
LIke TK said, that's why they have camp. What did you expect out of him? Did you think that he was going to be in there shutting down Jacoby Jones and a crafty vet like Walter right away. Hell, I won't even mention AJ. AJ would make any rookie that hasn't even attended a full training camp look like a joke.

Reportedly Mitchell was overwhelming from Day 1 in some drills, for example he blew-up the Texans starting LG on one 1-on-1 drill. I hear no such raves about Jacksons early play. On other hand some Houston websites I've seen report just the opposite on his workouts so far.
Now Jaclkson may turn out to be an All-Pro, maybe a HOFamer, I don't know I hope so, but early on he's sounding more like the midround project while Mitchell is sounding like the first-round pick who might seriously push
to break into the starting lineup. He's sounding like the guy we expected Okoye to be.

76Texan
08-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Reportedly Mitchell was overwhelming from Day 1 in some drills, for example he blew-up the Texans starting LG on one 1-on-1 drill. I hear no such raves about Jacksons early play. On other hand some Houston websites I've seen report just the opposite on his workouts so far.
Now Jaclkson may turn out to be an All-Pro, maybe a HOFamer, I don't know I hope so, but early on he's sounding more like the midround project while Mitchell is sounding like the first-round pick who might seriously push
to break into the starting lineup. He's sounding like the guy we expected Okoye to be.

It's always in human nature to put "undue" pressure on a first round pick and "show some love" for lower picks when they do well.

In the breakdown thread on Mitchell, I had clearly emphasized his abilty to penetrate due to an excellent first step. But let's remember also that he's not very strong at the POA, especially in short yardage situation. This part of his game is not readily observed due to the fact that we don't have montrous DTs.

Goldensilence
08-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Real good news to hear about Mitchell being impressive this early on. Let's hope he can keep that up as TC rolls along into the preseason.

I didn't expect Jackson to come in and be a lock down corner during TC or preseason. I expect that the more reps he gets he'll feel more comfortable in this defense.

Still wouldn't surprise me if the FO is going to be looking close at TC and preseason cuts for another veteran corner. It does make me nervous going into the season that our most experienced corner is Reeves who still has issues with fundamentals at the position.

Make no mistake this season hinges on our young corners growing up FAST.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2010, 03:19 PM
It's always in human nature to put "undue" pressure on a first round pick and "show some love" for lower picks when they do well.

In the breakdown thread on Mitchell, I had clearly emphasized his abilty to penetrate due to an excellent first step. But let's remember also that he's not very strong at the POA, especially in short yardage situation. This part of his game is not readily observed due to the fact that we don't have montrous DTs.

This very well may be true, it'd be hard to believe by the looks of him. The dude's lower body would put Earl's to shame. He's a freakin tree trunk.

I'm going to reserve my first impressions of the Mitch until I see him in game action, but if I were going by his quickness I saw from him yesterday, he'd destroy Okoye in pass rush and short yardage.

beerlover
08-03-2010, 04:01 PM
This very well may be true, it'd be hard to believe by the looks of him. The dude's lower body would put Earl's to shame. He's a freakin tree trunk.

I'm going to reserve my first impressions of the Mitch until I see him in game action, but if I were going by his quickness I saw from him yesterday, he'd destroy Okoye in pass rush and short yardage.

is it just me or does Okoye fit square peg in round hole syndrome? they try to play him over nose, off nose stuff him inside but no matter how you slice it he may actually be more of a 3-4 DE or strongside 4-3 DE. I just don't have a good sense about him yet & its going on three years.

thunderkyss
08-03-2010, 04:35 PM

I do not agree, that a guy picked in the third round is necessarily a project. But I wouldn't put too much into the hoopla being said about Mitchell. It's practice.

Kareem Jackson... I'm doubtful myself. I haven't seen anything to get excited about in the highlights, or the games they've replayed, and I watched. What I've seen so far, is that he is another Dunta Robinson, strong in run support, strong tackler, meh in coverage.

To me, it looks as if we're doomed, if we don't get the pass rush fixed. I believe the pass rush is essential for a great secondary, but I also believe good coverage is essential for a great pass rush.

Looks like we're going to be decent on the pass rush, and decent in coverage, and we're going to be giving up 25 points/game.

pbat488
08-03-2010, 06:06 PM

Remember, as some people have kind of touched upon, K-Jax is going up against the best WR in the league in AJ, one of the craftiest WRs in the league in Walter, and one of the most explosive players on our team in JJ.

Mitchell is blowing up Studdard, Myers, Chris White etc etc..

It's a bit different 1 on 1 on an island opposed to what the big nasties are doing in the trenches.

Rey
08-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Everyone knows I was pushing Kyle Wilson for CB and why but I have not heard anything negative on Kareem Jackson that was identified on this thread. Everything has been positive. WIth the number of posters that usually goes to TC, I would have thought negatives on Jackson would have been inundating this MB. McClain has been and has said nothing but Jackson is well thought of.

When I went out I saw a few bad plays by Jackson...I commented in the training camp thread...

I saw him get handled by AJ down on the goal line (to be expected) and Pollard let him know he wasn't pleased with him..

I also saw him get roasted by Dorin for about a thirty yard strike...Dickerson dropped the ball for a would be score..

That said it's only TC...He definitely has not been a world beater, but I wouldn't declare him a bust...He does have me a little worried about facing Manning wk 1 though...

I'd like to see him in some pre-season games before I get too worried though...

painekiller
08-03-2010, 11:51 PM
I remember a long time ago when Chris Dishman was a highly touted CB. He was starting on the Oilers and Glanville loved the kid, said he was going to be a great one. Well in the 1st home game the Raiders Willie Gault schooled him unmercifully.
Flash forward a few years and Dishman was half of the best CB duo in the AFC (Patrick Allen)

CBs take time, they have to be burned a few times, and all of them are. But that is how they learn.

Texan_Bill
08-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Re: Kubiak is gaga......

Really? This guy

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c117812/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/Gary-Kubiak.jpg

Is this?

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/blogs/snapcracklepop/LadyGaGaGaga.png

Awesome, I think....... :thinking:

JMacaroni
08-04-2010, 01:37 AM
You could talk to a Cowboy fan during the Dave Campo era, and they would have bravado about how Quincy Carter was going to carve up the opposing defense..

I'm not sure those were defenses he was carving up....just saying...:woot2

J_R
08-06-2010, 02:44 AM
Mitchell trying to prove he's ready as a rookie (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7141811.html)

I hope he steals someone's job. :)

Mike Kerns
08-06-2010, 11:29 AM
A couple of pics of Earl from last night:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/Zepp1978/DSCF2693.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r289/Zepp1978/DSCF2694.jpg

Dude has a terrific burst.

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 01:32 PM
He's gonna be our John Randle. Short, stout, tremendous burst, penetrating DT.

What Amobi was supposed to be.

El Tejano
08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I remember a long time ago when Chris Dishman was a highly touted CB. He was starting on the Oilers and Glanville loved the kid, said he was going to be a great one. Well in the 1st home game the Raiders Willie Gault schooled him unmercifully.
Flash forward a few years and Dishman was half of the best CB duo in the AFC (Patrick Allen)

CBs take time, they have to be burned a few times, and all of them are. But that is how they learn.

Patrick Allen sUUUUUUUUCked!!! Dishman became more of an elite CB when he was along side of Darryl Lewis. That's when Dish made the Pro Bowls. You may have got confused because Darryl Lewis and Patrick Allen shared the same # 29.

Mr teX
08-06-2010, 02:53 PM
This is good news not only b/c of what mitchell might be able to do for us on the field, but b/c kubes usually does put the best guys on the field rather immediately regardless of their status. Also Kubes has shown over the years he's got a good eye for finding talented guys later (or at least not in the 1st) that can contribute a great deal or even start for us. ...exhibit A:

Meco = 2nd rounder, 16 games started as a rook
Daniels = 4th rounder, 12 games started as a rook
Slaton = 3rd rounder, 15 games started as a rook
Spencer = 3rd rounder, 2 games started as a rook before injury
Quinn= 4th rounder -12 games as a rook
Nolan = 7th rounder probably would've been starting as a rook or at least by now if he hadn't gotten injured last year in the preseason.

You add in a 7th round gem like Diles who wasn't inserted immediately but contributed & eventually became a starter & Kube's instincts in this regard really haven't failed him. Free agency on the other hand..................

To sum it all up, if kubes truly is as high on mitchell as he's saying, i'll expect to see this kid in the 1st team rotation real soon, or at least early on in the season.....if he continues to perform like the others above did anyway.

BigBull17
08-06-2010, 03:46 PM

I think he'll be a fine player. It's just a matter of how well he can play in this first season when we really need him in the secondary to play like a vet. He's going to have a huge responsibility on him this season and if he doesn't play well that will be more on the coaches than it will be on him since they didn't get any solid veteran CB to play the #1 spot and they're putting that burden on a first year player. It's not his fault that he's a rookie having to play the #1 CB spot on a team with high expectations that's going to be facing some real tough offenses this year.

This. We have a pretty damn good group of recievers. It's gonna be rough from the start.

RunninRepub
08-06-2010, 04:12 PM
This is good news not only b/c of what mitchell might be able to do for us on the field, but b/c kubes usually does put the best guys on the field rather immediately regardless of their status. Also Kubes has shown over the years he's got a good eye for finding talented guys later (or at least not in the 1st) that can contribute a great deal or even start for us. ...exhibit A:

Nolan = 7th rounder probably would've been starting as a rook or at least by now if he hadn't gotten injured last year in the preseason.

You add in a 7th round gem like Diles who wasn't inserted immediately but contributed & eventually became a starter & Kube's instincts in this regard really haven't failed him. Free agency on the other hand..................

To sum it all up, if kubes truly is as high on mitchell as he's saying, i'll expect to see this kid in the 1st team rotation real soon, or at least early on in the season.....if he continues to perform like the others above did anyway.

Mr. KNow it all posting again. Go do your job and stop trying to be a coach!
:clown:

Mr teX
08-06-2010, 04:19 PM

I'm off work buddy....u should stick around..u might learn something from me about the gridiron!!!:hurrah:

rmartin65
08-06-2010, 04:21 PM

While I am not disagreeing with your overall point, there are a couple things.

1) I highly doubt all of these players were picked by Kubiak. I am leaning towards Smith being the true finder of talent. Kubiak is responsible for players like Putzier and Green (I think I remember hearing that).

2) Regardless of who is making those picks, this team is far more talented than the one they inherited. Late round players will have a harder time cracking the starting line up as early as they used to.

3) I dont think Nolan would have started last year. Just saying, there are people who are really high on him on this board, but I am not one of them. I will be very surprised if he sees a lot of playing time this season (barring injury of course).

Again, I agree with your overall point. The current regime has done well through the draft, and I would not be surprised to see at least one player drafted in rounds 2-5 gets serious playing time.

HOU-TEX
08-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm off work buddy....u should stick around..u might learn something from me about the gridiron!!!:hurrah:

Do you know this cat? Did you lay pipe to his ol lady or something? The dude's pp is hurting over you, bro.

JB
08-06-2010, 04:24 PM

Why don't you add something meaningfull and stop the bashing. If you don't agree with his comments, then say why. Or offer something to the thread.

Or don't.

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Why don't you add something meaningfull and stop the bashing. If you don't agree with his comments, then say why. Or offer something to the thread.

Or don't.

It's all fun and games until someone puts an eye out.

I actually thought the guy was just joking around. I didn't read it as nasty.

But I could be wrong.

JB
08-06-2010, 04:36 PM
It's all fun and games until someone puts an eye out.

I actually thought the guy was just joking around. I didn't read it as nasty.

But I could be wrong.

Well, the guy has made 3 post. All negative about MrTex

RunninRepub
08-06-2010, 04:51 PM

Thanks for keeping tabs on me Titan Rick. I'm a republican you don't want to mess with.

JB
08-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks for keeping tabs on me Titan Rick. I'm a republican you don't want to mess with.

:lol:

rmartin65
08-06-2010, 04:53 PM

What the hell does this mean? Seriously guy, you cant get upset when people point out some truth.

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 05:02 PM

MrTex trollin himself?

HuttoKarl
08-06-2010, 05:02 PM
What the hell does this mean? Seriously guy, you cant get upset when people point out some truth.

Maybe he's Rick Perry and will do some boy cheerleader moves all over yer azzz!!!!

HOU-TEX
08-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Lets neg rep him and see how red we can get it.

b0ng
08-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Well this thread went downhill quickly :(

DBCooper
08-06-2010, 05:23 PM

Hahahahahahaha!

Andre makes the best CBs look bad!

Jacoby Jones, KW.......

I'll bet he improves working against these guys for a few weeks.

Rey
08-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Hahahahahahaha!

Andre makes the best CBs look bad!

Jacoby Jones, KW.......

I'll bet he improves working against these guys for a few weeks.

Jacoby and Andre roasted him for long passes again today.

Bull
08-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Watch for this in the preseason mario,Mitchell,smith,schobel and barwin at Sam:kingkong:

Mr teX
08-06-2010, 08:09 PM
While I am not disagreeing with your overall point, there are a couple things.

1) I highly doubt all of these players were picked by Kubiak. I am leaning towards Smith being the true finder of talent. Kubiak is responsible for players like Putzier and Green (I think I remember hearing that).

2) Regardless of who is making those picks, this team is far more talented than the one they inherited. Late round players will have a harder time cracking the starting line up as early as they used to.

3) I dont think Nolan would have started last year. Just saying, there are people who are really high on him on this board, but I am not one of them. I will be very surprised if he sees a lot of playing time this season (barring injury of course).

Again, I agree with your overall point. The current regime has done well through the draft, and I would not be surprised to see at least one player drafted in rounds 2-5 gets serious playing time.

Couldn't agree more.... although i don't think Smith would bring in anyone Kubes didn't want and i look at Smith & kubes more as a team rather than individuals making moves.

As far as nolan goes..it's kind of tricky. We know that Kubes requires his safeties to learn both FS & SS & early last year, Barber & Busing both got looks in the starting line-up & looked horrid for the most part. In addition to this, Wilson went down early in the season as well. You've got to figure that Nolan probably would've gotten his look before Busing at least.....The only downside to this is that we might've not felt the need to go out and get pollard if Nolan had been able to play even ok.

76Texan
08-07-2010, 09:16 AM
As far as nolan goes..it's kind of tricky. We know that Kubes requires his safeties to learn both FS & SS & early last year, Barber & Busing both got looks in the starting line-up & looked horrid for the most part. In addition to this, Wilson went down early in the season as well. You've got to figure that Nolan probably would've gotten his look before Busing at least.....The only downside to this is that we might've not felt the need to go out and get pollard if Nolan had been able to play even ok.

I'm with this!

Many of us, including Vinny (who's been absent from the board for while, did he elope or what?) didn't like the situation in our secondary to start last season.

Vinny even "predict" that we would be out of contention due to the fact that we would lose a few early games and dug ourselves in a deep hole that we wouldn't be able to recover from (to make the playoffs).
I agreed completely; and that was exactly what happened.

If that was the case, I would have preferred to throw Nolan in there to see what he's made off (if he was healthy).

But of course, the Texans went into each game with the mindset that they would win (yeah, nice though!)

I don't blame the players. I pin those early losses to Smith, Kubiak, and Bush.

dalemurphy
08-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm with this!

Many of us, including Vinny (who's been absent from the board for while, did he elope or what?) didn't like the situation in our secondary to start last season.

Vinny even "predict" that we would be out of contention due to the fact that we would lose a few early games and dug ourselves in a deep hole that we wouldn't be able to recover from (to make the playoffs).
I agreed completely; and that was exactly what happened.

If that was the case, I would have preferred to throw Nolan in there to see what he's made off (if he was healthy).

But of course, the Texans went into each game with the mindset that they would win (yeah, nice though!)

I don't blame the players. I pin those early losses to Smith, Kubiak, and Bush.

I was with you guys regarding the frustration with the treatment of the safety situation. We were fortunate that Pollard dropped in our laps. But, I can't disagree with your conclusion that those early losses knocked us out of contention.. After all, we were 5-3 midway through the season. I would argue that the 4 consecutive division losses after that, probably was a bigger contributor.

76Texan
08-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I was with you guys regarding the frustration with the treatment of the safety situation. We were fortunate that Pollard dropped in our laps. But, I can't disagree with your conclusion that those early losses knocked us out of contention.. After all, we were 5-3 midway through the season. I would argue that the 4 consecutive division losses after that, probably was a bigger contributor.

5-3 with future games to go:
2 agaisnt the Colts, 1 against the Tacks, 1 against the Dolphins, 1 against the Pats.

Five difficult games and we needed to win at least 3 of those!
Plus a game against the Jax on the road.
I wouldn't call that a great percentage.

I fully expected that we either won against the Jets or the Jax at home to have a realistic chance at the play-offs.
(To win both of those games would have been even better.)

dalemurphy
08-07-2010, 01:32 PM
5-3 with future games to go:
2 agaisnt the Colts, 1 against the Tacks, 1 against the Dolphins, 1 against the Pats.

Five difficult games and we needed to win at least 3 of those!
Plus a game against the Jax on the road.
I wouldn't call that a great percentage.

I fully expected that we either won against the Jets or the Jax at home to have a realistic chance at the play-offs.
(To win both of those games would have been even better.)

Sure... If we had won one more game, then we would've been in the playoffs. If we had Bernard Pollard during the preseason then we probably win the Jacksonville game.

But, there are so many things to regret about last season, I have a hard time looking at those two losses as anywhere near the top of the list. We literally should've won each of the four losses during that losing streak... Hard for me to get past that.

Still, though, that is not a defense for the team's attitude/assessment regarding the safety position during last off-season. I am somewhat comforted to realize that we probably wouldn't have Bernard Pollard right now if it was better addressed in the off-season.

TheRealJoker
08-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I am excited to see Earl Mitchell in action next Saturday. However, I keep reminding myself that Okoye got big hype at the senior bowl because of how he did in one on one drills to temper my enthusiasm regarding Mitchell.

76Texan
08-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Sure... If we had won one more game, then we would've been in the playoffs. If we had Bernard Pollard during the preseason then we probably win the Jacksonville game.

But, there are so many things to regret about last season, I have a hard time looking at those two losses as anywhere near the top of the list. We literally should've won each of the four losses during that losing streak... Hard for me to get past that.

Still, though, that is not a defense for the team's attitude/assessment regarding the safety position during last off-season. I am somewhat comforted to realize that we probably wouldn't have Bernard Pollard right now if it was better addressed in the off-season.
Sure, we can play the what-if game all night long.

True, we should have won at least one more divisional game to be in better shape to compete for the play-offs.
But had we won one of those games, other scenarios would have manifested themselves:
The Jets most likely wouldn't have lost to the Falclons.
The Pats definitely wouldn't rest certain players (just ask Hou-Tex).
And they had us down 27-13 in the fourth.

I was counting on us to win one more of those early games and one more divisional game.
We could end up 11-5 (which was really what we wanted to shoot for).
Or we could be 10-6 (with a loss to the Pats but with a win over the Jets) and still make the play-offs just the same.
I would think that a win over the Jets was easier to imagine than a win over the Pats when that schedule came out, wouldn't you agree?

Once we're done with the what-if game, we can proceed straight to the lottery that landed Pollard.
(Sure, I was glad we got Mario. Did I celebrate what "we" did to get that lottery pick?)
Sure, I was among the very first to advocate the signing of Pollard. I just never mentioned that I thought it was an admission of failure by the FO to address the issue before the season started.

Now, i really don't want to dig deep into Antonio Smith's comment that "when we simplified (dumbing down?) the defense got better", because it would only open another can of worms.
Basically, it meant that the DC and the HC did not prepare the team well to start the season.

On the other hand, Rex Ryan was totally new to his team... and he managed to have his team embarrass the Texans on both sides of the ball.
What? The Jets even had a play in which they lined up only ONE true D-lineman to make mockery out of the Texans (and it wasn't Jenkins).
- Actually, there were at least two plays, but one didn't materialize due to a penalty.

LOL, never mind, that tidbit just flashes through my mind, I thought I'd mention it just for kick!

Oh and BTW, does anybody know that once, Myers actually pancaked Casey Hampton, that big NT from the Steelers!?!
:choke:

RipTraxx
08-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Just got back from camp this morning. Praises of Mitchell are well deserved. This guy is John Randle quick! One on one drills he had some olineman lunging for air.

Great draft pick.

LikeMike
08-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Did anyone pay any extra attention on Mitchell? How did he look in the 1st preseason game?

JB
08-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Did anyone pay any extra attention on Mitchell? How did he look in the 1st preseason game?

Like a rookie. Didn't do much at all.

alphajoker
08-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Like a rookie. Didn't do much at all.

Yes, he did look like a rookie but I wouldn't say he didn't do much at all, IMO. He got good penetration a few times and was also disruptive. He also had a great spin move up the middle on the last play of the 3rd Qtr. almost sacking the QB.

CloakNNNdagger
08-15-2010, 02:05 PM
I did notice that he showed poor awareness on a couple of plays of where the ball was. He was pushing his man back trying to get to the QB while the RB had the ball and was running right past him to his left side.

dalemurphy
08-15-2010, 02:07 PM
I thought he looked good. He was strong at the point of attack and had excellent penetration a few times.