Pages : [1] 2 3

No More 8-8's
08-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Not sure if this is posted yet.

Via Chron....

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7135755.html

Cjeremy635
08-02-2010, 03:01 PM
If we could get him at a low base salary, then I don't see the problem. I can't see paying him $8 million a year though. I could see a contract with incentives and such, but not the kind of base salary he's used to getting.

TexansFanatic
08-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Wow, ten sacks! I don't like how old he is and I hate the idea of him taking the place of someone who's been around a while just because he has a relationship with Kollar. But ten sacks.....hmmmmm....

CDNTexansFan
08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't get why he's dinking around with his decision though. It's one thing to mutually agree with the Bills to move on but you're either going to play or you aren't, dragging the decision into camp does no one any favours.

I'd hate to see an older player like Schobel come in and steal reps from a guy like Connor Barwin, I thought he really came on at the end of last season.

Rey
08-02-2010, 03:20 PM
I'd bring him in if the money was right...

I don't think he'd steal reps from Barwin...Maybe from Okoye or Cody...

Maybe Schobel comes in at end and Smith bumps down to DT more often...Or Maybe Smith gets more breaks...Either way, I think that we could find enough snaps for him to fit in without disrupting too much..

Texecutioner
08-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Get this done! I don't see how anyone could be against this.

WHo cares if we have Mario, Barwin, or Smith? Put the best guy out there and make them all compete. Hell, this is great for rotation any way. You want as many guys at DE as you can get. Plus, Mario could always get injured. Our defensive line is still a work in progress and this guy could really help. Make it happen! :evil:

BSofA04
08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Move Mario inside with Antonio Smith and use Barwin and Schobel as DE's on 3rd down. Try stopping that!

Ok, so I'll just accept my award for preposterous idea of the day but it's crap like this that I think would work.

Texecutioner
08-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Move Mario inside with Antonio Smith and use Barwin and Schobel as DE's on 3rd down. Try stopping that!

Ok, so I'll just accept my award for preposterous idea of the day but it's crap like this that I think would work.

Preposterous? I say try it out and let em rip!!! It couldn't hurt.

Texas T
08-02-2010, 03:26 PM

WHo cares if we have Mario, Barwin, or Smith? Put the best guy out there and make them all compete. Hell, this is great for rotation any way. You want as many guys at DE as you can get. Plus, Mario could always get injured. Our defensive line is still a work in progress and this guy could really help. Make it happen! :evil:

See the other thread about Marios hip problems...he'd be a great addition.
I'm betting he'd love coming here since his family lives in Columbus (I ate at their resturaunt on the way to my daughters graduation in Kerrville in May)

El Tejano
08-02-2010, 03:28 PM

In my best Gregorian Chant:

AMEN!!

This is a guy that is a low risk, high reward signing. Your team gets better with him on it. We got a rookie and a second year guy playing CB, they are going to need all the pass rush they can get.

Rey
08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
From the article it sounds like all the Texans have to do is make that call....

Texas T
08-02-2010, 03:30 PM
From the article it sounds like all the Texans have to do is make that call....

Hey I'll even make it for them if that helps.

No More 8-8's
08-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I dont think, he will be taking away so much of Barwins reps. Part of what makes Connor great is that occasionally he will be standing up like an outside 3-4 linebacker. Schobel would be more of a traditional DE.

But when it comes down to it.........10 sacks.

BSofA04
08-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Preposterous? I say try it out and let em rip!!! It couldn't hurt.

Thanks. Image all the stunts/twists we could use. Maybe we wouldn't be as predictable upfront!

Texecutioner
08-02-2010, 03:34 PM
See the other thread about Marios hip problems...he'd be a great addition.
I'm betting he'd love coming here since his family lives in Columbus (I ate at their resturaunt on the way to my daughters graduation in Kerrville in May)

Must spread the rep for mentioning the restaurant. I had a nice country dinner there about a year or two ago while watching the Texans lose to the Jags. Good country cooking.

I'd love to have Schobel here. Hell, you can't go wrong with any of the Schobel brothers. All good hard working Texas boys. And this one has a very high motor. I don't trust Mario Williams like so many others do either. He's the most talented DE in the league, but he takes plays off at times and doesn't seem to have the intense motor 100% of the time like you want your star DE to have. If Mario gets hurt, we're screwed and Schobel is a high motor guy all of the time and a solid veteran. Hell, he'd be great in rotation. I'd would be ecstatic if we had him on this D line and I think he'd make a hell of an impact to this team.

gary
08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Let's do this. If nothing else he'd be a great teacher for everyone on the team.

gary
08-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Must spread the rep for mentioning the restaurant. I had a nice country dinner there about a year or two ago while watching the Texans lose to the Jags. Good country cooking.

I'd love to have Schobel here. Hell, you can't go wrong with any of the Schobel brothers. All good hard working Texas boys. And this one has a very high motor. I don't trust Mario Williams like so many others do either. He's the most talented DE in the league, but he takes plays off at times and doesn't seem to have the intense motor 100% of the time like you want your star DE to have. If Mario gets hurt, we're screwed and Schobel is a high motor guy all of the time and a solid veteran. Hell, he'd be great in rotation. I'd would be ecstatic if we had him on this D line and I think he'd make a hell of an impact to this team.Mario has always had some nagging bug which has really held him back from progress.

El Tejano
08-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I bet Tenn or Jville does what they can to get him....

gtexan02
08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
uncapped year and its not my money, so who cares how much he makes. Make the move mcnair

GuerillaBlack
08-02-2010, 03:45 PM
The Texans need to make the call! Schobel would be great to have here. That's simply more depth and formations we could use on our D-Line. Move Marion and Smith to the inside with Barwin and Schobel on the outside. Or, have Mario and Schobel on the outside, with Smith and Mitchell on the inside. So many other formations, too. Maybe a 3-4 formation with Mario, Smith, and Schobel with Barwin as a linebacker? I like it. Not to mention he'd bring in more veteran leadership to this young defense.

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
I am on board with this.

BIG TORO
08-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Ok the Texans have my approval, now it can happen! :)

houstonspartan
08-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Once I saw "10 sacks" I kind of blanked out.

For the right price...get...him...here...now.

b0ng
08-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I'd be down for this. If he's good enough to steal reps then that means the coaches think he's the better player at that time. I don't see how it would hurt the Texans unless they came to rely on him to play 60% and he got injured.

JB
08-02-2010, 04:15 PM
TexansChick points to a good read about Schobel

For interested #Texans fans, good read. RT @buffalobillscom: Buffalo Bills: Schobel: "I'm relieved.": http://bit.ly/d8lCat
about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

http://twitter.com/StephStradley

dalemurphy
08-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Here are some thoughts from http://www.texansbullblog.com on Schobel coming to Houston to sack Peyton Manning and some other dudes too!:

Rumors and reports are circulating that the Texans could sign Aaron Schobel this preseason if they want him. At this point, the Texans can not sign, contact, nor comment on Schobel because he is still officially a Buffalo Bill. John McClain has an informative article at http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7135755.html that details the situation. Essentially, the Bills will be releasing Schobel and because of Schobelís relationship with Bill Kollar (Texans DL coach), and his farm in Colombus, TexasÖ he would like to play in Houston.

Schoble is 32 years old and has been a highly successful DE pass rusher and playmaker in his career. He has suffered a number of injuries that past few years, limiting his practice time and gameday snaps, but he has remained a pass rushing force. He only played five games in 2008 due to injuries but rebounded last season with 10 sacks in 16 games, while still hampered with knee/leg ailments (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SchoAa99.htm).

He is an undersized, high energy DE. He has less than elite speed and strength but has a great motor and understands the finer points of the game. Though he is unlikely to remain and every down player, I think he would be highly effective in a DE rotation. The Texans have three DEs that are assured of making the roster: Mario, A.Smith, and Barwin. However, only Barwin is strictly an edge rusher. So, Schobel could certainly fit into the rotation. As a matter of a fact, it is a wonderful thought to imagine a 3rd and long with Schobel and Barwin lined up at DE and Mario and A. Smith both pinched in at DT. There are many combinations that could be effective, and I think a deeper rotation of the DL is something that will help the pass rush significantly. I know that Kollar believes in heavy rotation and keeping guys fresh and their motors running high (strange that Okoye had so many snaps last year under Kollar). Iím sure there will be more on this potential development soon. Essentially, his presence would push out at least two of the following DEs from the roster: Bulman, Jamison, Nading.

hereís a fun highlight from last season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7OAzUqlaHQ

Dutchrudder
08-02-2010, 04:24 PM
He's not going to steal reps from Barwin, he's going to steal reps from guys like Tim Bulman and Jesse Nading. If he does get signed to the Texans, he will come in as a 2nd team DE and work opposite Barwin. It is a great idea to get a guy like him and be 4-deep on DE for rotational purposes.

gtexan02
08-02-2010, 04:31 PM
10 sacks
wants to play if the team needs him
DL coach he liked is on the Texans
Didn't like Buffalo because too far from columbus, tx

Seems perfect

76Texan
08-02-2010, 04:34 PM
hereís a fun highlight from last season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7OAzUqlaHQ
Show that to Barwin.
He's been wanting to sky for an INT like that! :kingkong:

Malloy
08-02-2010, 04:39 PM
What contractial problems are we looking at here, he needs to be released by the Bills first, and we're expecting this to happen when?

I like the idea btw, I'm just trying to figure out how much speculation we're looking at here :)

No More 8-8's
08-02-2010, 04:42 PM
What contractial problems are we looking at here, he needs to be released by the Bills first, and we're expecting this to happen when?

I like the idea btw, I'm just trying to figure out how much speculation we're looking at here :)
I think, if he doesnt get released than he will just retire.

Either way, it appears he wont be playing in a Bills uniform in the near future.

ChampionTexan
08-02-2010, 04:50 PM

I think, if he doesnt get released than he will just retire.

Either way, it appears he wont be playing in a Bills uniform in the near future.

Jason LaCanfora is tweeting that the Bills have already informed him that they intend to release him.

LINK (http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/20149889078)

I would think if it's a done deal, and The Bills know he still wants to play, they'd do it sooner as opposed to later to give him the best chance possible to end up with a good fit for him.

kiwitexansfan
08-02-2010, 04:52 PM
If the price is right, anyone is a consideration.

If we can get the pass rush going at a good level, the defense is pretty much fixed as it helps on the back end too.

76Texan
08-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Jason LaCanfora is tweeting that the Bills have already informed him that they intend to release him.

LINK (http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/20149889078)

I would think if it's a done deal, and The Bills know he still wants to play, they'd do it sooner as opposed to later to give him the best chance possible to end up with a good fit for him.

Nice!

Come on Smith, bring him in!

TEXANS84
08-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Bills will NOT release Schobel for free, want something in return. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/02/buddy-nixes-talk-of-releasing-schobel/)

Don't get too excited guys...GM Buddy Nix will not let him go for free...and I highly doubt Texans will give anything in return. I'd be shocked if they did.

dalemurphy
08-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Bills will NOT release Schobel for free, want something in return. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/02/buddy-nixes-talk-of-releasing-schobel/)

Don't get too excited guys...GM Buddy Nix will not let him go for free...and I highly doubt Texans will give anything in return. I'd be shocked if they did.

Well, they have publicly said that they don't want him on the team...yet, he is due to make $8million this season. So, he's going to get cut. They could, out of spite, hang on to him until the cutdowns at the end of August. But, nobody is going to trade for him and incur that salary.

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Funny how this gets posted earlier this morning, just around the time that the "intent to release" Twitter by Jason LaConfora.

Nix makes it clear on Schobel (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/02/nix-makes-it-clear-on-schobel/)
Chris Brown
Posted August 2, 2010 Ė 10:42 am
Tags: Aaron Schobel, Buddy Nix
Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobelís career with the Bills. Itís over.

ďHe will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether itís retire or if he might want to play somewhere else,Ē said Nix.

If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. Itís clear the Bills will not outright release him.

ChampionTexan
08-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Well, they have publicly said that they don't want him on the team...yet, he is due to make $8million this season. So, he's going to get cut. They could, out of spite, hang on to him until the cutdowns at the end of August. But, nobody is going to trade for him and incur that salary.

Shades of Favre and the Packers circa 2008 Training Camp.

JB
08-02-2010, 05:07 PM

A little contradictory to what Schobel says

Schobel has four years left on a $50.5 million contract extension he signed in 2007, and will remain on the team's Reserve/Did Not Report List. Schobel told The Associated Press in a phone interview from his home outside of Houston that the Bills told him they would release him if he decided to come back at this point.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5430063)

TheCD
08-02-2010, 05:21 PM
For those a little more in the know:

What ever happened to kicking Mario inside on certain downs? I know when we drafted him they had moved him all around the line, and have pretty much stopped.

If he can be effective inside, what would you guys think aboud:

Barwin - Smith - Mario - Schobel

Or perhaps when changing things up we could:

Smith - Okoye - Mario
Barwin - Cushing - DeMeco - Schobel

I know Schobel is a 4-3 linemen, but just a thought to see if we could create some serious mismatches with having Mario and Antonio playing inside. Barwin is coming on, and Schobel is enough of a vet to be able to take advantage of a 1 on 1. If he doesn't get a 1 on 1, that leaves Mario the ability to bullrush through the middle of the line (assuming he's healthy enough to do so).

I'm not so adept on linemen, my keen interest is in DB's...so those of you who are line guru's, would this work, or even be plausible?

EDIT: This is on obvious passing downs, as Okoye would be absolutely manhandled at NT, of course.

TEXANS84
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I would put or play Schobel like this:

Passing downs:

Schobel, Smith, Mitchell, Williams or
Schobel, Smith, Williams, and Barwin

houstonspartan
08-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Eh. I'm for bringing him in for a year if we can get him for cheap. But, if the Bills are wanting something in return, forget it.

No More 8-8's
08-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Eh. I'm for bringing him in for a year if we can get him for cheap. But, if the Bills are wanting something in return, forget it.
There is no way, any team will be giving the Bills anything. The Bills are just grasping at straws, knowing full well they wont be paying the 8mil salary.

Goldensilence
08-02-2010, 05:33 PM
I'd bring him in if the money was right...

I don't think he'd steal reps from Barwin...Maybe from Okoye or Cody...

Maybe Schobel comes in at end and Smith bumps down to DT more often...Or Maybe Smith gets more breaks...Either way, I think that we could find enough snaps for him to fit in without disrupting too much..

Ugh. Really the fact that people talk about how Smith can rotate inside is getting ridiculous. For a few snaps a game? Sure, but for a prolonged period of time? It would render him ineffective as a pass rusher.

Mario inside? Ugh. I can't even respond. Just get him back healthy playing at high level at DE.

Yes he would be taking some reps from Barwin, but hey, that's the move the FO made on getting a pass rushing, project DE high. Either take reps from him or Smith and unless Barwin becomes better at stopping the run he's never going to be a 3 down DE on this team.

IDEXAN
08-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Anything we can do to get some pressure on Manning, I say do it. Just don't pay too much for him.
BTW, he's 33 next month.

Brisco_County
08-02-2010, 05:40 PM
This is amazing! It must happen! Think about what the Schobel family would do for our tailgates!

ChampionTexan
08-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Ugh. Really the fact that people talk about how Smith can rotate inside is getting ridiculous. For a few snaps a game? Sure, but for a prolonged period of time? It would render him ineffective as a pass rusher.

Mario inside? Ugh. I can't even respond. Just get him back healthy playing at high level at DE.

Yes he would be taking some reps from Barwin, but hey, that's the move the FO made on getting a pass rushing, project DE high. Either take reps from him or Smith and unless Barwin becomes better at stopping the run he's never going to be a 3 down DE on this team.

If the FO thinks Schobel's a better pass rusher than Barwin right now, then try to get him for a reasonable price (I'd happily give a 6th or maybe even a 5th round pick for him). Heaven forbid we have a backup DE with too much talent.

Schobel's not a long term solution, anyway. Having him together with Barwin for a year or two may end up helping Barwing develop - not the other way around.

Brisco_County
08-02-2010, 05:46 PM
I would put or play Schobel like this:

Passing downs:

Schobel, Smith, Mitchell, Williams or
Schobel, Smith, Williams, and Barwin

Let's establish something before our imaginations run too wild. Mario is not moving inside.

I can see Schobel being used in blitz packages with five on the line, in rotation to relieve Mario, and deep frying delicious stuffed jalapenos during tailgates. Sign 'em up!

nero THE zero
08-02-2010, 05:46 PM

Based on what?

He's highly effective on the inside because he plays with solid technique and his speed causes match-up problems for inside linemen.

He almost played exclusively inside on third downs last season as well, so I don't know where the idea that his potential there is limited or marginalized by more snaps is coming from.

I don't know that he could be a full-time player at tackle, but the idea that he's ideally suited at DE is rubbish.

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2010, 05:47 PM

The last place you would want to "test" him after coming off of any shoulder surgery this soon is inside.

The1ApplePie
08-02-2010, 05:51 PM
The best pass rush I've ever seen was the Giants against the Pats in the Super Bowl. They rotated 8-plus guys into every position on the line. Even had 4 DEs at once.

Would be great here with Schobel

Goldensilence
08-02-2010, 06:00 PM
If the FO thinks Schobel's a better pass rusher than Barwin right now, then try to get him for a reasonable price (I'd happily give a 6th or maybe even a 5th round pick for him). Heaven forbid we have a backup DE with too much talent.

Schobel's not a long term solution, anyway. Having him together with Barwin for a year or two may end up helping Barwing develop - not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong.With both parties outright saying his time in Buffalo is over Buffalo won't be getting anything higher than a 5th. I'd welcome him here.

I'm more lamenting the fact we chose an undersized pass rush specialist with our second round pick instead of getting a 3 down player on either side of the ball. We could've gotten similar production later in the draft, considering as well we had just signed Smith to a big contract. Also consider Barwin signed a 4 year contract and what do we get for that contract? I still think the guy is more ideally suited to be a 3-4 LBer. But, Hey, obviously I'm not a scout or GM.

Based on what?

He's highly effective on the inside because he plays with solid technique and his speed causes match-up problems for inside linemen.

He almost played exclusively inside on third downs last season as well, so I don't know where the idea that his potential there is limited or marginalized by more snaps is coming from.

I don't know that he could be a full-time player at tackle, but the idea that he's ideally suited at DE is rubbish.

Playing limited snaps inside on third downs when you're more likely seeing pass blocking is one thing, but moving him inside for more snaps there when teams are run blocking is different. Way different scenarios.

I mean we already have a plethora of undersized defensive linemen (who are paid much less). Why add the one guy who has shown he can consistently get in the backfield opposite Mario Williams and is good against the run?

How is that rubbish?

steelbtexan
08-02-2010, 06:05 PM

This, The only Texan that knows what it feels like to get 10 sacks is MW.

This doesn't include HWNSNBM.

Sign him up.

Barwin probably play SAM until Cushing gets back. I dont care where MW likes to play. If it was good enough for Reggie whit to drop down and play DT in some passing situations. Then MW shouldn't have a problem.

On 3rd and long a DL of Barwin MW AS and Schobel would create the most pressure on the QB in team history.

Tailgate
08-02-2010, 06:12 PM
http://pwnwear.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Owen-Starsky-Hutch-Signature-Do-It.jpg

BullNation4Life
08-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Let's establish something before our imaginations run too wild. Mario is not moving inside.

I can see Schobel being used in blitz packages with five on the line, in rotation to relieve Mario, and deep frying delicious stuffed jalapenos during tailgates. Sign 'em up!

And why are you so sure about this? Knowing Koller and Kubiak, that is exactly what they would do, move Mario inside with Smith and have Barwin and Schobel on the outside on passing situations...

Don't dismiss something until the FO says so and even then it still may happen...

J_R
08-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Nothing really new but..

News 4 Sports reached Schobel by phone, at his house in Columbus, Texas.

"When I heard the news, I sorta was relieved to tell you the truth,Ē Schobel told us. ďWhenever somebody takes it from you and it doesn't bother you, it's probably what you wanted to do anyway."

Schobel says he still hasnít decided once and for all not to play. And he expects the Bills will accommodate him and trade his rights if he decides to come back. He mentioned Houston as a possible site for him to play.

ďIím just gonna wait a couple of more weeks and see. You know, Iíve mentioned Houston (Texans) would be an idea. I donít know. The only reason I say Houston is because I know that defense, itís so close to home. But I donít know.Ē

For now, he's content to stay at his home in Texas and take a few more weeks to decide what to do.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/bills_and_nfl/schobel-looks-to-future

Brisco_County
08-02-2010, 07:28 PM
And why are you so sure about this? Knowing Koller and Kubiak, that is exactly what they would do, move Mario inside with Smith and have Barwin and Schobel on the outside on passing situations...

Don't dismiss something until the FO says so and even then it still may happen...

Firstly, he's not built for penetrating like a three-technique DT. Secondly, he's coming off shoulder surgery.

ObsiWan
08-02-2010, 07:47 PM
News 4 Sports reached Schobel by phone, at his house in Columbus, Texas.

"When I heard the news, I sorta was relieved to tell you the truth,Ē Schobel told us. ďWhenever somebody takes it from you and it doesn't bother you, it's probably what you wanted to do anyway."

Schobel says he still hasnít decided once and for all not to play. And he expects the Bills will accommodate him and trade his rights if he decides to come back. He mentioned Houston as a possible site for him to play.

ďIím just gonna wait a couple of more weeks and see. You know, Iíve mentioned Houston (Texans) would be an idea. I donít know. The only reason I say Houston is because I know that defense, itís so close to home. But I donít know.Ē

For now, he's content to stay at his home in Texas and take a few more weeks to decide what to do.

I dunno.... and this is probably just me.... or maybe it's the thought of going back to Buffalo, but it doesn't sound like his heart is totally in the game any longer to me.

ChampionTexan
08-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I dunno.... and this is probably just me.... or maybe it's the thought of going back to Buffalo, but it doesn't sound like his heart is totally in the game any longer to me.

I think ESPN and The NFL Network should each create some sort of "Schobel Watch" segment, and devote a portion of every Sports Center/NFL Total Access/NFL Live/Sports Center In Game etc., etc., etc. to whether Schobel's going to retire or not. If it works out, maybe they can bring it back next pre-season, and perhaps even the pre-season after that.

Goldensilence
08-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I think ESPN and The NFL Network should each create some sort of "Schobel Watch" segment, and devote a portion of every Sports Center/NFL Total Access/NFL Live/Sports Center In Game etc., etc., etc. to whether Schobel's going to retire or not. If it works out, maybe they can bring it back next pre-season, and perhaps even the pre-season after that.

Interrupt the Favre watch? Never.

BullNation4Life
08-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Firstly, he's not built for penetrating like a three-technique DT. Secondly, he's coming off shoulder surgery.

His "surgery" was a scope. Nothing to be concerned about a scope of the shoulder, no more than Casey getting his knee scoped.

He is 6'8 and near 300 lbs how is he not built? Love how folks can say "oh he isn't built for this position or that position." He is a baller, easy as that. Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis are built like a LBs yet seems to do pretty fine where they are...

If they sign Schobel, you will most likely see Mario inside on some passing downs...

dalemurphy
08-03-2010, 01:40 AM
His "surgery" was a scope. Nothing to be concerned about a scope of the shoulder, no more than Casey getting his knee scoped.

He is 6'8 and near 300 lbs how is he not built? Love how folks can say "oh he isn't built for this position or that position." He is a baller, easy as that. Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis are built like a LBs yet seems to do pretty fine where they are...

If the sign Schobel, you will most likely see Mario inside on some passing downs...

I've seen him lineup at DT and even MLB on passing downs... So, clearly, he can move around.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he become a DT. But, he's a similar athlete and weapon to Reggie White. And, Reggie moved all over the place. Of course, he didn't have arthoscopic shoulder surgery... he just did things like play entire seasons with a torn pectoral and a detached bicep.

GNTLEWOLF
08-03-2010, 07:23 AM
If he has anything left in the tank and his contract demands are reasonable and he truely wants to play for the Texans......we won't get him.....

J_R
08-03-2010, 08:28 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/02/nix-makes-it-clear-on-schobel/

Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobelís career with the Bills. Itís over.

ďHe will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether itís retire or if he might want to play somewhere else,Ē said Nix.

If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. Itís clear the Bills will not outright release him.

TimeKiller
08-03-2010, 08:58 AM
I'd rather see Schobel than Nading....

Dutchrudder
08-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Why would anyone want to trade for him and his 8 million dollar salary scheduled for next year? There's no way anyone would pick him up for that much money, unless they can make him take a pay cut.

HOU-TEX
08-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't trade much for him. If we were to trade a late round pick for him he'd have to re-structure his contract.

Rey
08-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Trade Andre Davis for him.

El Tejano
08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Trade Andre Davis for him.

That would be a good trade. Or one of those DT like Bulman, although I like him alot.

GP
08-03-2010, 10:53 AM
This won't happen. Too much money at the end of his career.

The new philosophy is weighted more heavily toward refusing the temptation of Ahman Green'ish signings.

Plus, McNair is about to lay out some cash to AJ. So there's no way in Dallas he's going to absorb the cost of Schobel nor trade anything for him.

texanfan2002114
08-03-2010, 10:54 AM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/02/nix-makes-it-clear-on-schobel/

Bills GM Buddy Nix made it clear regarding Aaron Schobel’s career with the Bills. It’s over.

“He will remain on our Reserve/Did Not Report list until he makes a decision about what he wants to do, whether it’s retire or if he might want to play somewhere else,” said Nix.

If Schobel does want to play elsewhere, the Bills will then begin to explore trade options. It’s clear the Bills will not outright release him.

The Bills have been trying to trade Schobel all offseason with no takers. When Aaron says he is coming back , the Bills will release him and be free to sign anywhere.

Be hero and help me save a life!
http://pages.teamintraining.org/txg/tucson10/sperryrd3j

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
His "surgery" was a scope. Nothing to be concerned about a scope of the shoulder, no more than Casey getting his knee scoped. He is 6'8 and near 300 lbs how is he not built? Love how folks can say "oh he isn't built for this position or that position." He is a baller, easy as that. Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis are built like a LBs yet seems to do pretty fine where they are...

If they sign Schobel, you will most likely see Mario inside on some passing downs...

These days, major surgical reconstructions may be performed via scope.The recovery depends on what TYPE OF SURGERY is performed for what TYPE OF PROBLEM. One of the problems with shoulder arthroscopy is that the procedure hurts much less than open shoulder surgery, and therefore players may tend to do too much, too soon. Depending on the type of surgery and type of problem, certain maneuvers may be more taxing of the repair than others. Playing inside requires more variable and more consistent stresses on the shoulder girdle. Avoidance and/or control of certain tactical moves as an outside rusher allows for the ability to steer clear of applying shoulder stresses that could otherwise increase the risk of reinjury, especially in the 1st year postoperative recovery period.

Hooston Texan
08-03-2010, 12:00 PM
The Bills have been trying to trade Schobel all offseason with no takers. When Aaron says he is coming back , the Bills will release him and be free to sign anywhere.

Schobel is still under contract with the Bills. They don't have to release him if he does not report, nor do they have to pay him. They can declare him retired.

This is the same reason that Brett Favre was forced to take a one year detour with the Jets before finally getting to Minnesota: he was under contract with the Packers and they were not going to simpy release him and allow him to go where he wanted. So they traded his rights to the Jets (adding a poison pill that required the Jets to cough up multiple high draft picks if they cut him or traded him prior to the end of that season).

The rub is the contract. If the Texans make a trade, they acquire the contract. That won't happen. If the Bills cut Schobel, they lose any ability to trade him. So some creativity will be involved if the Texans want to acquire Schobel for a price lower than his contract. As for what they'd give to Buffalo, I'd have to think a 6th rounder would do the trick--it's at least something.

gtexan02
08-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Lets trade him for a 2015 7th rounder. Take a page out of the rockets book

ChampionTexan
08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Schobel is still under contract with the Bills. They don't have to release him if he does not report, nor do they have to pay him. They can declare him retired.

This is the same reason that Brett Favre was forced to take a one year detour with the Jets before finally getting to Minnesota: he was under contract with the Packers and they were not going to simpy release him and allow him to go where he wanted. So they traded his rights to the Jets (adding a poison pill that required the Jets to cough up multiple high draft picks if they cut him or traded him prior to the end of that season).

The rub is the contract. If the Texans make a trade, they acquire the contract. That won't happen. If the Bills cut Schobel, they lose any ability to trade him. So some creativity will be involved if the Texans want to acquire Schobel for a price lower than his contract. As for what they'd give to Buffalo, I'd have to think a 6th rounder would do the trick--it's at least something.

Three things with the Favre-Packers comparison.

First, Favre reported to camp - that forced the Packers into a situation where they had to pay him, waive him, or trade him. Whether Schobel would ever force the Bills hand like that I don't pretend to know, but he could if he chose to.

Second, Favre actually agreed to restructure the contract with the Jets prior to the trade. It was done to comply with the salary cap, but if Schobel was willing to take a reduced salary as a requirement to get a trade done, they could make that happen. If Schobel is unwilling to restructure his contract, then most likely him reporting to camp will force the Bills to pay him or waive him.

Finally, Green Bay's prime objective with the Favre trade (and their refusal to simply cut him) was to keep him out of the NFC North in general, and away from the Vikings specifically. I don't believe Buffalo has any such concerns - certainly not in regard to Schobel coming to the Texans.

badboy
08-03-2010, 12:35 PM

The rub is the contract. If the Texans make a trade, they acquire the contract. That won't happen. If the Bills cut Schobel, they lose any ability to trade him. So some creativity will be involved if the Texans want to acquire Schobel for a price lower than his contract. As for what they'd give to Buffalo, I'd have to think a 6th rounder would do the trick--it's at least something."Look, I am not saying you should never trade a 6th round pick for some veteran. I am just saying it can lead to fan discontent and lengthy threads on message boards. But go ahead and do what you want to do." signed Chris Myers

Tailgate
08-04-2010, 09:35 AM
John McClain twitter:

I hear Aaron Schobel is being released by Bills today. That means Texans can talk to his agent, Jeff Nalley.#Texans

http://twitter.com/mcclain_on_nfl

RTP2110
08-04-2010, 09:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5436331

The Buffalo Bills will release two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Schobel on Wednesday, according to a league source.

BIG TORO
08-04-2010, 09:48 AM
John McClain twitter:

http://twitter.com/mcclain_on_nfl

There saying the same thing on RotoWorld, I must be true!

So there is a good chance now with some negotiating that he could end up being a Texan, If we are intrested, Are we?

TexansBlood
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Let's get him signed.

Vinnie
08-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't think there is any doubt they're interested. They haven't been able to say as much due to the situation, but there's been enough smoke in the media to tell me there's a fire there.

gtexan02
08-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't think there is any doubt they're interested. They haven't been able to say as much due to the situation, but there's been enough smoke in the media to tell me there's a fire there.

I dont believe the Texans have said a word.

The smoke has been because Schoebel has repeatedly said he would like to play for us.

A 4-3 DE who wants to live closer to Columbus, TX, we are pretty much his best option

Vinnie
08-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Right, but Kubiak nearly slipped up and said something in a training camp press conference when a reporter asked him about the situation. Someone else stopped him before he let any info out.

Hooston Texan
08-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Sounds like he does intend to play. We have the inside track on this given his home, connection to Kollar and our use of the 4-3. All the 3-4 teams (including Dallas) will be out of the running. My guess is he'll give us the last shot to match any offer he gets elsewhere.

The competition for his services will probably be Atlanta, New Orleans and/or Tennessee. All could use a DE with his pass-rush skills (what 4-3 team couldn't?), and it sounds like he doesn't want to be a long way from home. But, again, nobody can match our geography.

If I'm Rick Smith, I'd offer a one year deal with two tiers keyed to the number of snaps he gets. The lower tier applies if, as expected, he's used purely as a pass rush specialist. If injuries force him into an every down role, then he gets into the higher tier. Make sure he'd be happy at the lower tier (so that he won't be upset if he doesn't get enough snaps) and that he understands that the higher tier is there solely to protect him from giving us the windfall of getting every down production in exchange for a specialist's pay.

But make every effort to sign this man. He's absolutely a guy who can help us.

hobie
08-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Sounds like he does intend to play. We have the inside track on this given his home, connection to Kollar and our use of the 4-3. All the 3-4 teams (including Dallas) will be out of the running. My guess is he'll give us the last shot to match any offer he gets elsewhere.

The competition for his services will probably be Atlanta, New Orleans and/or Tennessee. All could use a DE with his pass-rush skills (what 4-3 team couldn't?), and it sounds like he doesn't want to be a long way from home. But, again, nobody can match our geography.

If I'm Rick Smith, I'd offer a one year deal with two tiers keyed to the number of snaps he gets. The lower tier applies if, as expected, he's used purely as a pass rush specialist. If injuries force him into an every down role, then he gets into the higher tier. Make sure he'd be happy at the lower tier (so that he won't be upset if he doesn't get enough snaps) and that he understands that the higher tier is there solely to protect him from giving us the windfall of getting every down production in exchange for a specialist's pay.

But make every effort to sign this man. He's absolutely a guy who can help us.

You are absolutely correct with that !!!

Porky
08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Pay him Rick! :fingergun::spin:

BIG TORO
08-04-2010, 10:36 AM
You are absolutely correct with that !!!

Yea, I agree too. I'm also worried about Mario's hip and who knows if his shoulder will act up this year.

TheCD
08-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Pay him Rick! :fingergun::spin:

Someone get Schobel some cleats, masking tape and a sharpie stat!

Dutchrudder
08-04-2010, 10:49 AM
He could go to the New Orleans Saints. They play a 4-3 and are relatively close to home for him. Just depends on what the bids are for his services.

No More 8-8's
08-04-2010, 10:53 AM
They were just talking about this on NFL radio, and the two best solutions would be the Patriots and Texans. I think he will have a lot of suitors, its just a matter how much of a hometown discount can we give him.

gary
08-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't want to trade a top pick for him.

No More 8-8's
08-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't want to trade a top pick for him.
I dont think we will have too, the Bills are going to be most likely release him.

BIG TORO
08-04-2010, 11:00 AM
They were just talking about this on NFL radio, and the two best solutions would be the Patriots and Texans. I think he will have a lot of suitors, its just a matter how much of a hometown discount can we give him.

You mean it's just a matter of how much of a hometown discount he can give us.

gary
08-04-2010, 11:01 AM
I dont think we will have too, the Bills are going to be most likely release him.
Are they? I have heard otherwise.

HOU-TEX
08-04-2010, 11:04 AM

I think the Patriots run too much 3-4 for his liking. They did run some 4-3 stuff, but not as much as we do.

nero THE zero
08-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Are they? I have heard otherwise.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7138551.html
If the Buffalo Bills release defensive end Aaron Schobel as expected, he will become a free agent.

That means Schobel, a Columbus native, can sign with any team if he decides not to retire and play for a 10th NFL season.

Schobel said this week if he becomes a free agent he would like to play for the Texans.

The Texans can't comment as long as Schobel is under contract.

Dutchrudder
08-04-2010, 11:06 AM
I think the Patriots run too much 3-4 for his liking. They did run some 4-3 stuff, but not as much as we do.

Their 2-5 defense was terrible against the Texans last year. I doubt he would want to run that scheme...

:kitten:

Tailgate
08-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Not sure if this has been posted yet. But advancednflstats.com had Schobel ranked as its # 1 DE last year...

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defenderstats.php?year=2009&pos=DE&season=all

dalemurphy
08-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Schobel will be a Texan in 24 Hours, I Think

I’m not Adam Schefter but my sources are as solid as ESPN’s sources saying “Bret Favre is retiring”. Multiple reports assert the Bills will cut Aaron Schobel today. Given the fact that the Bills GM is on record saying that they don’t want him on the team and given his huge contract, I am confident the reports are accurate.

Why do I have confidence he’s coming to Houston? Well, I am not always a believer in reports from John McClain. However, yesterday, McClain directly quoted Schobel saying that Houston is the team he wants to play for. McClain doesn’t make up quotes. When he is speculating or trying to fill newspaper/blog space, he will say “I think” or “I’m hearing”… Also, there seems to be some real momentum to this deal.

I think it is a great deal for the Texans. I’m not a guy who usually gets excited about big name free agents and 30+ year old veterans signing with my team but this move would make a ton of sense. The Texans have two pure edge rushers on their entire 80 man roster right now: Connor Barwin and Tim Jamison. Both players are young and somewhat unpolished. Antonio Smith is actually a better interior pass rusher and Mario, though he provides an excellent pass rush, is not a classic edge rusher. (more http://www.texansbullblog.com/schobel-texan-24-hours/news/)

Vinnie
08-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Sure hope you're right Dale. :hurrah:

No More 8-8's
08-04-2010, 11:18 AM
They are saying that Bill Bellichek really loves signing guys that hurt him when playing on different teams. And it looks like they maybe moving to more of a 4-3 defense due to lack of personell.

steelbtexan

I seem to recall Boselli having a minor surgical procedure on his shoulder one offseason. It was said that Boselli would be ready for the regular season.

How did that turn out?

You wont know how MW is until the regular season. This is yet another reason to sign Schobel. I have a feeling uncle BoB will cough up the $$$ for Schobel.

Schobel fits the profile uncle BoB wants on his team. (Cookie and milk, Ice cream and apple pie)

Luckily, Schobel can still play. IMHO

gary
Schobel will be a Texan in 24 Hours

I’m not Adam Schefter but my sources are as solid as ESPN’s sources saying “Bret Favre is retiring”. Multiple reports assert the Bills will cut Aaron Schobel today. Given the fact that the Bills GM is on record saying that they don’t want him on the team and given his huge contract, I am confident the reports are accurate.

Why do I have confidence he’s coming to Houston? Well, I am not always a believer in reports from John McClain. However, yesterday, McClain directly quoted Schobel saying that Houston is the team he wants to play for. McClain doesn’t make up quotes. When he is speculating or trying to fill newspaper/blog space, he will say “I think” or “I’m hearing”… Also, there seems to be some real momentum to this deal.

I think it is a great deal for the Texans. I’m not a guy who usually gets excited about big name free agents and 30+ year old veterans signing with my team but this move would make a ton of sense. The Texans have two pure edge rushers on their entire 80 man roster right now: Connor Barwin and Tim Jamison. Both players are young and somewhat unpolished. Antonio Smith is actually a better interior pass rusher and Mario, though he provides an excellent pass rush, is not a classic edge rusher. (more http://www.texansbullblog.com/schobel-texan-24-hours/news/)
Great news Dal.

No More 8-8's
08-04-2010, 11:19 AM

I hope so too. But does your sources say anything about him being signed by the Texans? or just being released?

Inquiring minds want to know.

badboy
08-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I think he is also looking for a tad of respect as he did not get to decide if he will retire or come back. If he can't beat out what we have, he can retire & not feel embarrassed. Why not offer him a 2-3 year deal with a decent signing bonus as none of the years are guaranteed? I see no indicators he should slide much this season & should be worth $3-4m base + bonus. Even if he turns into a back up like Wade Smith appears to be headed, having him on roster makes me more comfortable about Mario's health. Sort of like the Miller backing up Yao deal.

BIG TORO
08-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I think he is also looking for a tad of respect as he did not get to decide if he will retire or come back. If he can't beat out what we have, he can retire & not feel embarrassed. Why not offer him a 2-3 year deal with a decent signing bonus as none of the years are guaranteed? I see no indicators he should slide much this season & should be worth $3-4m base + bonus. Even if he turns into a back up like Wade Smith appears to be headed, having him on roster makes me more comfortable about Mario's health. Sort of like the Miller backing up Yao deal.

Your right, but the problem is going to lie with Bob and Rick wanting to spend the money because they know they have to take care of AJ.

dalemurphy
08-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I hope so too. But does your sources say anything about him being signed by the Texans? or just being released?

Inquiring minds want to know.

My "source" is simply a collection of information from national guys, local stories in Buffalo, and McClain's report/quotes of Schobel and Schobel's friend. I was partially mocking ESPN... That being said, I am genuinely confident that this is going to happen. If you take all that information together, it is pretty clear the direction this thing is going.

On the bottom of the blog, I have a youtube video that plays a report from a local Buffalo TV station. Among other things, the story concludes by mentioning that Schobel will be at his home in Houston while he waits for Buffalo and also decides what he is going to do next:

http://www.texansbullblog.com/schobel-texan-24-hours/news/

eriadoc
08-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Remember, no football next year. So this would be a three year deal unless the Texans wanted to retain his rights beyond the lockout for some reason.

HoustonFrog
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
He will be released today according to Schefter..love his updates

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Bills have no practice this morning, but they do have news. They will release two-time Pro Bowl DE Aaron Schobel today.

Schobel does want to continue playing and soon will begin looking for a new home. He's from Houston, a team that could use a pass rusher.

I love that family because they added so much to TCU football. He would be a good addition. But with next year looming and people not spending cash, Bob couldn't just throw a ton of cash at him.

Hooston Texan
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
My "source" is simply a collection of information from national guys, local stories in Buffalo, and McClain's report/quotes of Schobel and Schobel's friend. I was partially mocking ESPN... That being said, I am genuinely confident that this is going to happen. If you take all that information together, it is pretty clear the direction this thing is going.

On the bottom of the blog, I have a youtube video that plays a report from a local Buffalo TV station. Among other things, the story concludes by mentioning that Schobel will be at his home in Houston while he waits for Buffalo and also decides what he is going to do next:

The only part of your assessment I question is "24 hours".

I don't think Schobel will be in a hurry here. No established veteran likes the early part of training camp. And he'll want to field offers from other team to establish his value. Unless we're simply not interested--we can't be that stupid, can we?--we'll get the chance to match his best offer.

For our part, we can afford to wait on him. Unlike a certain drama queen in Mississippi, Schobel doesn't play a position that requires much practice time to get on the same page with his teammates. All we need to do is wind him up, send him in on passing downs and watch him eat some QBs.

My guess is he'll hang out for a week, field offers and ultimately sign with us before the first preseason game.

No More 8-8's
08-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Cool. Thanks for the info. I sincerely hope that this does work out.

dc_txtech
08-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Iím not Adam Schefter but my sources are as solid as ESPNís sources saying ďBret Favre is retiringĒ. Multiple reports assert the Bills will cut Aaron Schobel today. Given the fact that the Bills GM is on record saying that they donít want him on the team and given his huge contract, I am confident the reports are accurate.

Why do I have confidence heís coming to Houston? Well, I am not always a believer in reports from John McClain. However, yesterday, McClain directly quoted Schobel saying that Houston is the team he wants to play for. McClain doesnít make up quotes. When he is speculating or trying to fill newspaper/blog space, he will say ďI thinkĒ or ďIím hearingĒÖ Also, there seems to be some real momentum to this deal.

I think it is a great deal for the Texans. Iím not a guy who usually gets excited about big name free agents and 30+ year old veterans signing with my team but this move would make a ton of sense. The Texans have two pure edge rushers on their entire 80 man roster right now: Connor Barwin and Tim Jamison. Both players are young and somewhat unpolished. Antonio Smith is actually a better interior pass rusher and Mario, though he provides an excellent pass rush, is not a classic edge rusher. (more http://www.texansbullblog.com/schobel-texan-24-hours/news/)

Why do I keep hearing people say this? I couldn't disagree more. Mario is an elite edge rusher in this league.

No More 8-8's
08-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Yeah, the further we wait, the more chances some other team would like to join in and over pay. Especially since TC has started and more players are likely to get injured.

Hooston Texan
08-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Remember, no football next year. So this would be a three year deal unless the Texans wanted to retain his rights beyond the lockout for some reason.

We should be looking at a one year deal. If he likes us and we like him, we can do it again if/when we get the chance for 2011. I can't see anyone offering an about-to-be 33 year old DE a long term contract. For his part, I think he'll maximize his money by playing a year at a time.

b0ng
08-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Buffalo Bills message boards are a fun thing to read. Well, if your idea of "fun" is eternal depression that is.

eriadoc
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
We should be looking at a one year deal. If he likes us and we like him, we can do it again if/when we get the chance for 2011. I can't see anyone offering an about-to-be 33 year old DE a long term contract. For his part, I think he'll maximize his money by playing a year at a time.

I agree. There was some comment above about a 2-yr. deal, and I figured I'd remind people about the lockout.

dalemurphy
08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Why do I keep hearing people say this? I couldn't disagree more. Mario is an elite edge rusher in this league.

How many times in the past three years has Mario lined up outside of the OT, attacked the OT's left side, dipped his shoulder, planted his left foot, and then explode into the blindside of the QB.... Then, how many times did he counter that move with an inside spin move when the OT is over-committed to the outside?

Mario is an excellent DE and a very good pass rusher. But, his skills aren't the same as guys like Freeney, D.Ware, etc... that is not a criticism. Mario could lineup at DT or faceup on the OT and his pass rush would still be good. He can play the run very well... something some of these guys can't. He's big and very strong, so he has a different skill set than someone 3 inches shorter and 45 lbs lighter.

Here's something from LZ that talks about it: http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/07/conner_barwin_paging_connor_ba.html

No More 8-8's
08-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I told you Boston would be generating interest.....

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/08/04/former-bill-pass-rusher-aaron-schobel-is-really-available-is-patriots-coach-bill-belichick-interested/

steelbtexan
08-04-2010, 12:29 PM
He will be released today according to Schefter..love his updates

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

I love that family because they added so much to TCU football. He would be a good addition. But with next year looming and people not spending cash, Bob couldn't just throw a ton of cash at him.

Bob could throw cash at him. It's an uncapped year. He wont throw cash at Schobel. Because that's just the way uncle BoB operates.

With that said Schobel will be a Texan next year and make this the best pass rushing team in Texans history. IMHO

johndoe
08-04-2010, 12:31 PM
As mentioned prior, if Schobel causes us to bump Mario inside on passing downs then it's a great idea! I dont like the idea of playing Schobal over Barwin but a front four of Schobal-Mario-Smith-Barwin would be nice!

gary
08-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I like Adam he seems like a good guy who knows his stuff.

dc_txtech
08-04-2010, 12:33 PM
How many times in the past three years has Mario lined up outside of the OT, attacked the OT's left side, dipped his shoulder, planted his left foot, and then explode into the blindside of the QB.... Then, how many times did he counter that move with an inside spin move when the OT is over-committed to the outside?

Well, he's lined up on at LDE most of the time so he's not going after the QB's blindside but to answer your question in general, I see him blow by tackles on a pretty consistent basis. Trouble is the QB is usually able to step up in the pocket due to a lack of penetration from the DT's. I do admit that he hasn't developed much of a spin move.

Mario is an excellent DE and a very good pass rusher. But, his skills aren't the same as guys like Freeney, D.Ware, etc... that is not a criticism. Mario could lineup at DT or faceup on the OT and his pass rush would still be good. He can play the run very well... something some of these guys can't. He's big and very strong, so he has a different skill set than someone 3 inches shorter and 45 lbs lighter.

Freeney and Ware are probably number 1 and 2 in the league when it comes to rushing from the edge, so just because Mario doesn't have the type of numbers those guys do doesn't mean he's not an elite edge rusher. Also, just because he can play the run well doesn't take anything away from the fact that he is also great at rushing from the edge. Yeah, he's big and strong, but he's also fast and agile.

Here's something from LZ that talks about it: http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/07/conner_barwin_paging_connor_ba.html

Yeah I read that article, that's probably where I first heard the "Mario not a classic edge rusher" statement made. I still gotta disagree with you and LZ here, although I do see your points.

b0ng
08-04-2010, 12:39 PM
As mentioned prior, if Schobel causes us to bump Mario inside on passing downs then it's a great idea! I dont like the idea of playing Schobal over Barwin but a front four of Schobal-Mario-Smith-Barwin would be nice!

I just don't see our coordinator putting the meanie at the end in the middle. They did it his rookie season because they were idiots and have been sacked because of idiocy, and I don't think that Kubiak is going to return to that. I think they are going to be impressed enough in training camp to keep at least 1 listed DT on the field, even for passing downs.

dalemurphy
08-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah I read that article, that's probably where I first heard the "Mario not a classic edge rusher" statement made. I still gotta disagree with you and LZ here, although I do see your points.

We're arguing semantics a bit, I think. I'm not criticizing Mario at all. Think about the RB position. Even if we had Earl Campbell on the team, someone like Darren Sproles would be an asset, because Sproles has a skill set that Campbell does not.

Mario's heighth and size benefits him in a number of ways. However, there are matchups that a smaller and quicker guy would excel in, where Mario might not. Obviously, the reverse is true also. One of the greatest LTs in the history of the NFL was Jonathan Ogden. Ogden was huge, had great feet, long arms, and excellent technique. He was 6'8". Freeney murdered him, because Freeney was so short that he could dip his shoulder and turn the corner and Ogden simply couldn't reach him without overbending at the waist... that's just one obvious example.

HOU-TEX
08-04-2010, 12:44 PM
I know it's not really similar, but the Rosevelt Colvin signing keeps popping into my head. Many of us had high expectations from that signing and it ended up a joke.

I wouldn't mind grabbing him for a Texan friendly deal. It'd be interesting how the Dline shakes out if we were to bring him in.

False Start
08-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Pats fans seem to think they have the upper hand on Schobel. I think its just wishful think on their part.

b0ng
08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Pats fans seem to think they have the upper hand on Schobel. I think its just wishful think on their part.

A lot of them also have a huge mancrush on Connor Barwin.

BIG TORO
08-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Why cuz they are the pats?

Dutchrudder
08-04-2010, 12:58 PM
A lot of them also have a huge mancrush on Connor Barwin.

They had a couple opportunities to pick him before us, but passed. The organization couldn't have liked him too much or not enough.

badboy
08-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Your right, but the problem is going to lie with Bob and Rick wanting to spend the money because they know they have to take care of AJ.It is an uncapped year and this guy offers a possibility of double digit sacks. The problem lies in determining how much gas is left in the tank. Work in a ratio for plays per game to earn bonus and you will be ok.

thunderkyss
08-04-2010, 02:56 PM
I gaurantee you Schobel will not be with the Houston Texans in 2010. Want to know what makes me so sure?

Because you guys want it so bad, and it makes too much sense.

It will never happen.

BIG TORO
08-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I gaurantee you Schobel will not be with the Houston Texans in 2010. Want to know what makes me so sure?

Because you guys want it so bad, and it makes too much sense.

It will never happen.

Lol, I understand your logic, but I don't like it!:bat:

Goldensilence
08-04-2010, 03:00 PM

:thud:

Why do I keep seeing this? They aren't going to slip Mario inside.

They had a couple opportunities to pick him before us, but passed. The organization couldn't have liked him too much or not enough.

I heard they liked him going into that draft. My guess is they were surprised Brace fell to them and were thin at corner so they went with someone who could turn into a real solid in in Butler.

Probably took a chance as well that he might slip further and could make a move.

Conor has the athleticism you usually look for in a 3-4 Lber and would've fit in really well there I think.

TexasBoY25
08-04-2010, 03:03 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Bills announced Schobel is released.

BIG TORO
08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Bills announced Schobel is released.

You have a Link?

Kaiser Toro
08-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Besides his sack totals, I like his other stats - forced fumbles and pass deflections on the edge. His career stat line is right on par with Freeney's.

Kaiser Toro
08-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Bills release Schobel

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Bills-release-Schobel/58e6a835-2275-4201-978d-7638334e5e0d

The nine-year relationship between the Bills and Aaron Schobel has officially come to an end. Though the team announced on Monday that they were moving forward without him on their roster, the plan was to keep him on the Reserve/Did Not Report list until he made a decision about his playing future. That plan changed on Wednesday as the team outright released him.

“As everyone knows by now, on Monday we had informed Aaron’s agent that he was not in our plans for the 2010 season and we made a formal announcement right after that so our fans knew. Aaron remained on the “Did Not Report to Camp” list so no transaction had taken place at that time. We continued to evaluate the situation and feel the best way to proceed is to release Aaron and that’s what we have done.”

Releasing Schobel frees the Bills of the last four years of Schobel’s contract. It also gives Schobel the opportunity to pursue a playing opportunity elsewhere if he chooses to play in 2010.

As of Wednesday morning Schobel was still undecided.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” Schobel stated via text to Buffalobills.com. “I’m going to take a week and then maybe, I would say within a two week period I’m going to go one way or the other, that’s for sure. I’m either going to try to get it going or I’m going to put my (retirement) papers in. That’s what I’ll do.”

Nix made it clear that the organization felt Schobel deserved the opportunity to play elsewhere if he chooses to do so.

“If he chooses to retire, he will do so as a Buffalo Bill,” said Nix. “But this move allows him the opportunity to play somewhere else if so chooses and we felt that was a fair thing to do for a guy who has played hard for us the past nine seasons. I enjoyed a good conversation with Aaron after we turned the transaction into the league and he still has not decided what he wants to do. Our fans should know that this decision was made in the best interests of the Buffalo Bills and Aaron Schobel and like I said on Monday, we wish Aaron the best of luck in whatever he ultimately decides.”

Knowing his young family, which includes three school age children, is a big part of the decision making process, many believe if Schobel does elect to play one more season that he would prefer the Houston Texans, which are about an hour away from his Columbus, Texas home. Houston’s defensive line coach Bill Kollar also coached Schobel in Buffalo for three seasons and is a close personal friend.

The Texans are a team looking to get over the hump and make the playoffs and might consider Schobel a worthwhile option if the price is right, especially with top pass rusher Mario Williams currently sidelined with a hip injury.

Schobel, who turns 33 in a month, is coming off a 2009 season in which he had 10 sacks, the fourth double-digit sack season of his career.

Vinnie
08-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Go get em Rick.

No More 8-8's
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Bills release Schobel

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Bills-release-Schobel/58e6a835-2275-4201-978d-7638334e5e0d
tick tock tick tock........

b0ng
08-04-2010, 03:10 PM
The question is, is Houston the only team he wants to play for? (probably not)

Vinnie
08-04-2010, 03:12 PM
The question is, is Houston the only team he wants to play for? (probably not)

I doubt the only team, but probably the preferred team.

b0ng
08-04-2010, 03:17 PM
I doubt the only team, but probably the preferred team.

This just seems like something that will end up with the Texans just being used for something (I don't know what in this case). I imagine New Orleans would also be a place that he wouldn't mind playing.

barrett
08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't even think it's probably unless he's blowing smoke.

"If I were a free agent and I could choose a team, it would be the Texans without a doubt, (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2010/08/schobel_would_bolster_the_pass.html)" Schobel said Monday. "Houston would be the best spot for me."

Schaub2Dre
08-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Let the games begin! I know the Patriots are going to make a good run. Remember Alan Faneca? Very similar situation. Very solid veteran, the city is close to his hometown, would provide more depth, and we thought he wouldnt want that much money to come back and play for the Texans. We were wrong with Faneca and hopefully we'll be right about Schobel.

TexasBoY25
08-04-2010, 03:19 PM
You have a Link?

Yeah I have a sausage link, I am my own source! I report the news Buddy

Kaiser Toro
08-04-2010, 03:20 PM
I don't even think it's probably unless he's blowing smoke.

"If I were a free agent and I could choose a team, it would be the Texans without a doubt, (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2010/08/schobel_would_bolster_the_pass.html)" Schobel said Monday. "Houston would be the best spot for me."

It's a slam dunk.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/279843/3_61_tenet_george_2004.jpg

Second Honeymoon
08-04-2010, 03:24 PM
get this deal done. schobel would become the best pass rusher the Texans have ever had.

Truth Hurts. Sorry Mario....now get off your butt and do something besides waltz with OTs. Beating TEs and scrub OL is one thing, but why not beat decent LTs. After all, you were the #1 overall pick....not as if we have had much luck with #1 overalls anyway.

BIG TORO
08-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah I have a sausage link, I am my own source! I report the news Buddy

This is what all you are! :hobie:

gtexan02
08-04-2010, 03:28 PM
I hope this isn't another roosevelt colvin

TexasBoY25
08-04-2010, 03:31 PM

:goodpost:
thanks for the compliment

Dutchrudder
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Is that Mr. Peanut? Looks like he lost his monocle.

Kaiser Toro
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
get this deal done. schobel would become the best pass rusher the Texans have ever had.

Truth Hurts. Sorry Mario....now get off your butt and do something besides waltz with OTs. Beating TEs and scrub OL is one thing, but why not beat decent LTs. After all, you were the #1 overall pick....not as if we have had much luck with #1 overalls anyway.

Since 1999, I'll take Mario over all of his #1 pick brethren.

JB
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM

:goodpost:
thanks for the compliment

:lol:

nero THE zero
08-04-2010, 03:40 PM

By truth, do you mean your opinion?

First four seasons:
Mario -- 39.5 sck
Schobel -- 34.5 skc

jaayteetx
08-04-2010, 03:41 PM

http://www.nfl.com/players/mariowilliams/profile?id=WIL431243
http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronschobel/profile?id=SCH422487

I strongly disagree, Mario is a beast and has outperormed Schobel since he came in the league. Geez.

Dutchrudder
08-04-2010, 03:41 PM

The only other quality players since then has been Jake Long and maybe Michael Vick. Long certainly was a good pick and had Vick kept out of trouble he would have been worth it, but yeah I would take Mario too.

jaayteetx
08-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Amen my brutha!

BIG TORO
08-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Big Toro: Daddy, Daddy can we please get schobel to play for us!

BOB:I don't know son I have already spent alot of money on those nice leather pouches I got you, plus AJ wants more money and you know I have to keep him happy, he is the #1 reciver in the NFL.

Big Toro: But dad those pouches looked like they were made in china for a buck, besides it's and uncapped year, this is the year we can spend the money and really make a run for the playoffs and all the players are chanting 1-2-3 superbowl.

BOB:I know son, but as a business man I have to be financially responsible and look at the Texans future not just one year.

Big Toro: Well can we just be unresposible one year and not care how much we spend, kind of like Jerry Jones or Al Davis.

BOB:Son don't you ever compare me to those owners, they have no morals all they care about is winning no matter who they trample to get there.

Big Toro: Sorry dad I just got exited, and all my brothers and sisters (fans) are really exited too, they think this would be a great opportunity too.

BOB:Well, "we will see said the blind man" if we get a really, really, really, really good deal on him I wilL sign him.

AND THE BLIND MAN NEVER SAW!

gtexan02
08-04-2010, 03:54 PM
:backsout:

dalemurphy
08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I've updated the story a couple times since this morning so I am going to repost it here:

Aaron Schobel will Be a Texan in 24 Hours (I'm pretty sure)

UPDATE: Itís official, Schobel has been released. Adam Schefter via Twitter.

ďItís official: Bills have released two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Schobel.Ē

Update- Thereís chatter that a team like New England could step up and outbid for Schobelís services. I donít know what we are willing to offer him. However, remember that teams that made the playoffs (especially those who made the divsional round) are very restricted in their ability to sign free agents under the 2010 uncapped rules. Essentially, most playoff teams would have to sign him for less than $5 million per season.

Also, Iím assuming there is a 24 hour timetable for Schobel to clear waivers, if so, perhaps this thing doesnít get done until Friday.

Iím not Adam Schefter but my sources are as solid as ESPNís sources saying ďBret Favre is retiringĒ. Multiple reports assert the Bills will cut Aaron Schobel today. Given the fact that the Bills GM is on record saying that they donít want him on the team and given his huge contract, I am confident the reports are accurate.

Why do I have confidence heís coming to Houston? Well, I am not always a believer in reports from John McClain. However, yesterday, McClain directly quoted Schobel saying that Houston is the team he wants to play for. McClain doesnít make up quotes. When he is speculating or trying to fill newspaper/blog space, he will say ďI thinkĒ or ďIím hearingĒÖ Also, there seems to be some real momentum to this deal.

I think it is a great deal for the Texans. Iím not a guy who usually gets excited about big name free agents and 30+ year old veterans signing with my team but this move would make a ton of sense. The Texans have two pure edge rushers on their entire 80 man roster right now: Connor Barwin and Tim Jamison. Both players are young and somewhat unpolished. Antonio Smith is actually a better interior pass rusher and Mario, though he provides an excellent pass rush, is not a classic edge rusher. Furthermore, Schobel is more skilled and fundamentally sound as a pass rush DE than any of those guys (itís not even close). Also, he is exactly the kind of player the Texans pursue (ďWe want tough, smart football players with a passion for the gameÖĒ-Brian Gardner, director of football personnel).

Think about this: Aaron Schobel, on a wretched Bills team that rarely had a lead, registered 10 sacks last season while hobbled with lower leg injuries. Mario had nine sacks on a team with a prolific offense. Iíd say Schobel could be useful!

Last preseason, another struggling team that changed front office and coaching staffs in the off-season, decided to cut a productive player in order to move on. Just like the Kollar relationship with Schobel, the Texans had an assistant coach with a history with that playerÖ and, the Texans signed him. The coach was David Gibbs and the player was Bernard Pollard.

(http://www.texansbullblog.com)

The1ApplePie
08-04-2010, 04:11 PM

The speed rush/twist isn't Mario's game. He's a mountain of a man, with the best bullrush in this business. Trying to turn him into a finness rusher would make him worse. He's a monster truck, drive him like a monster truck, not a sports car.

It doesn't help that Okoye is a complete bust either.

Kaiser Toro
08-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Blog entry

With Aaron Schobel officially released by the Bills Wednesday afternoon, naturally the Patriots, who often sign veteran players to fill holes are being thought of as a possible destination for him. Knowing Schobel’s family situation it’s unlikely to happen.

Echoing those sentiments was FOX Sports reporter Adam Caplan.

caplannfl Highly unlikely to happen. RT @WAD1980: @caplannfl I was hoping the Pats could land him cause Bill and Co.

What most outside of Bills fans do not know is Schobel’s family situation. With three school age kids, Schobel and his wife would prefer to keep them in the same school year round instead of splitting the curriculum between their home and another NFL city.

Living an hour outside of Houston, the family dynamic is no longer a concern, if he plays for the Texans, which most have pegged as his number one choice. Truthfully it’s likely his only choice. Of course that’s if he decides to play.

Schobel to Pats “highly unlikely” (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/08/04/schobel-to-pats-highly-unlikely/)

jaayteetx
08-04-2010, 04:12 PM
On a side note, anybody doubt if he was interested in Dallas this would be front page news everywhere?

ArlingtonTexan
08-04-2010, 04:23 PM
On a side note, anybody doubt if he was interested in Dallas this would be front page news everywhere?

A little bigger, but Schobel is a better football player than familiar name. In fact, between the Rangers' sell, and the Rangers' playoff push, the Cowboys are actually playing second fiddle in DFW (as it should be). Now, once Tony Romo has a hangnail or Roy williams gets pissed because another WR passed him on the depth chart that will probably change, but let me enjoy the relative balanced coverage for now.

MoCityBull
08-04-2010, 04:34 PM
If he can help make the team get better...why not. Make the call Rick!

El Tejano
08-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Low risk/high reward. Gotta make this happen.

gary
08-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Besides his sack totals, I like his other stats - forced fumbles and pass deflections on the edge. His career stat line is right on par with Freeney's.Then, why is he only a two time probowler? Just a question.

gtexan02
08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Then, why is he only a two time probowler? Just a question.

I guess its because he plays for the Bills.

Teams with successful records usually end up with tons of probowlers. Schoebel has been under the radar because he plays for a poor team in a small market

gary
08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I guess its because he plays for the Bills.

Teams with successful records usually end up with tons of probowlers. Schoebel has been under the radar because he plays for a poor team in a small market
Probably so.

Big Poundcake
08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
I hope the Texans sign him!

dalemurphy
08-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Then, why is he only a two time probowler? Just a question.

I can't read the mind of voters, so I don't know... here's what I do know about him:

He has had at least 6.5 sacks every season of his career, including as a rookie (except in 2008 when he missed 11 games)... Also, 2008 is the only season he every missed a single NFL game. He has 78 carreer sacks in his 9 years. He has forced 21 turnovers. And, he really wants to play here.

badboy
08-04-2010, 05:13 PM
These are the kind of deals where a coach, stadium/training facility and owner can bring you a good player that might have gone elsewhere.

DexmanC
08-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Bring this dude in. He's far more accomplished than Roosevelt Colvin,
Ahman Green, or Morlon Greenwood. Can't hurt.

Cjeremy635
08-04-2010, 05:20 PM
I can't read the mind of voters, so I don't know... here's what I do know about him:

He has had at least 6.5 sacks every season of his career, including as a rookie (except in 2008 when he missed 11 games)... Also, 2008 is the only season he every missed a single NFL game. He has 78 carreer sacks in his 9 years. He has forced 21 turnovers. And, he really wants to play here.

word. :cool:

gary
08-04-2010, 05:21 PM

He has had at least 6.5 sacks every season of his career, including as a rookie (except in 2008 when he missed 11 games)... Also, 2008 is the only season he every missed a single NFL game. He has 78 carreer sacks in his 9 years. He has forced 21 turnovers. And, he really wants to play here.And let me tell you what I know which is I am all for it.

Cjeremy635
08-04-2010, 05:22 PM
And let me tell you what I know which is I am all for it.

Preach on brotha! I'd pick him up in a heartbeat. He'd immediately be able to contribute and help us out on the D-line, which will make or break our secondary this year.

No More 8-8's
08-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I know sometimes we get on this board "wishing" "predicting" "forecasting" which players would look great in a Texans uniform. But frankly, if this does not happen, I will be disappointed. Everything seems perfect for him to join, I just hope that Rick Smith doesnt think we have no spot for him on the roster.

Cjeremy635
08-04-2010, 05:31 PM
I know sometimes we get on this board "wishing" "predicting" "forecasting" which players would look great in a Texans uniform. But frankly, if this does not happen, I will be disappointed. Everything seems perfect for him to join, I just hope that Rick Smith doesnt think we have no spot for him on the roster.

You can never have too much QB pressure. I think we can definately cut somebody out of the 53 to make room for this dude. Give him a year and see what he does. He may not want to play after this season anyways, but from what I've gathered, it's playoffs or bust this year. I have a feeling that somebody will be losing their job if we fall short of the post season, so a proven veteran can't hurt the cause.

DexmanC
08-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Maybe Jesse Nading is a more valuable asset to this team?

gary
08-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Preach on brotha! I'd pick him up in a heartbeat. He'd immediately be able to contribute and help us out on the D-line, which will make or break our secondary this year.Exactly.

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Maybe Jesse Nading is a more valuable asset to this team?

Child, please. Jesse Nading is from Colorado State.

Someone else will have to be cut to make room for Mr. Schobel.

Allstar
08-04-2010, 05:51 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1289

Texans to evaluate Schobel
By Nick Scurfield - Today, 4:33 PM

Defensive end Aaron Schobel was released by the Buffalo Bills on Wednesday, prompting speculation that the Texans might be interested in signing the two-time Pro Bowler.

Schobel, 32, has 78 career sacks. He told the Houston Chronicle on Monday that the Texans would "without a doubt" be his top choice if he were a free agent. A native of Columbus, Texas, about an hour away from Houston, Schobel played under Texans defensive line coach Bill Kollar for three seasons (2006-08) in Buffalo.

"He’s a heck of a player obviously," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Wednesday afternoon. "I’ve followed him for a lot of years, being a local guy around town here. But we are going to do our homework on him like we do on every player. He’s a fine football player. We’ll do our homework, just like every other team, and see what happens.”

Schobel had 10 sacks in 2009, the fourth double-digit sack season of his nine-year career. He was a second-round draft pick of the Bills out of TCU in 2001 and has spent his entire NFL career to date in Buffalo.

"Right now, it’s all about evaluating him just like we do every player that’s been released," Kubiak said. "You look at your team and see where you’re at and what’s going on with your team. We’ll do that just like everybody else.”

Schobel told the Chronicle on Monday that his relationship with Kollar was a factor in his interest in the Texans. The best season of Schobel's career came under Kollar in 2006, when Schobel recorded 14 sacks, made the Pro Bowl and was named second-team All-Pro.

"Bill has obviously coached him and thinks a lot of him as a player," Kubiak said. "That’s part of this league. Players are released... and you sit there and usually one of us (coaches) have a relationship with somebody. So from that standpoint, Bill speaks very highly of him.”

MightyTExan
08-04-2010, 05:56 PM
The stars are in alignment, if this doesn't happen blood vessels are going to start popping at an exponential rate.

DexmanC
08-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Child, please. Jesse Nading is from Colorado State.

Someone else will have to be cut to make room for Mr. Schobel.

Wow, I didn't know Nading went to Colorado State. That makes him
untouchable.

Grforces
08-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I agree that this is a low risk, high reward pick up if we make it. I really think that this guy can come contribute from day one. Having depth at on the DL is never a bad thing. I think we pick him up. It wouldnt make any sence if we dint.

TexasBoY25
08-04-2010, 06:09 PM
PFT

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 4, 2010
The Texans can have defensive end Aaron Schobel if they want him.

A few days back, Schobel told the Houston Chronicle, "If I were a free agent and I could choose a team, it would be the Texans, without a doubt," Schobel said.

He's a free agent now, after the Bills officially released him Wednesday afternoon.* Coach Gary Kubiak admitted some level of interest.

"He's a heck of a player," said Kubiak.* "We'll do our homework, just like every other team."

The Texans are fairly well stocked at defensive end, but every team could use an extra pass rusher.* Schobel passed up $8 million from the Bills, so the trick now will be coming up with the right price for him to play in his home state of Texas.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Texans coach Gary Kubiak confirmed that the team plans to at least do its due diligence on free agent Aaron Schobel. (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2297&line=177024&spln=1)
"Heís a heck of a player," said Kubiak. "We'll do our homework, just like every other team." Schobel has indicated publicly that he'd prefer to play for the Texans, but they have something of a logjam at his position. While you can never have too many pass rushers, Connor Barwin deserves more snaps, and RE Mario Williams and LE Antonio Smith rarely come off the field. Aug. 4 - 5:10 pm et
Source: Nick Scurfield on Twitter

thunderkyss
08-04-2010, 06:22 PM
"Right now, itís all about evaluating him just like we do every player thatís been released," Kubiak said. "You look at your team and see where youíre at and whatís going on with your team. Weíll do that just like everybody else.Ē

Translation
Unless he can play tight-end, or took some distance learning courses from the Colorado State, we aren't interested.

Seriously, remember when the stars last lined up, and we were in need of a QB, and the "best" QB in the draft was from Houston.... remember how we passed on him? (not that I'm regretting that decision, I'm just pointing to a similar situation.)

Then there was that time, when we were in need of a back-up QB, & the stars lined up again, and there was an excellent back-up QB that eventually went to Philly, so we could draft our 40th TE?

This time, it is just too easy... we need to improve our pass rush. "Oh my" an excellent pass rush specialist, with ties to Texas, with a desire to play in Houston, with ties to members of the coaching staff, who just threw out any negotiating leverage he could have possibly had... right there. He's right there.

My balls would go bald before the Texans offer Aaron Schobel a spot on this team.

Ain't gonna happen, so go ahead and breath, stop holding your breath, forget this story.

ChampionTexan
08-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Seriously, remember when the stars last lined up, and we were in need of a QB, and the "best" QB in the draft was from Houston.... remember how we passed on him? (not that I'm regretting that decision, I'm just pointing to a similar situation.)

Then there was that time, when we were in need of a back-up QB, & the stars lined up again, and there was an excellent back-up QB that eventually went to Philly, so we could draft our 40th TE?

This time, it is just too easy... we need to improve our pass rush. "Oh my" an excellent pass rush specialist, with ties to Texas, with a desire to play in Houston, with ties to members of the coaching staff, who just threw out any negotiating leverage he could have possibly had... right there. He's right there.

My balls would go bald before the Texans offer Aaron Schobel a spot on this team.

Ain't gonna happen, so go ahead and breath, stop holding your breath, forget this story.

And then there was the time when we badly needed a safety, and KC had just released one, and it just so happened that his former D-back coach was on staff here in that same capacity.

I respectfully disagree with your prediction, and will be surprised if he's not on board by the time the first pre-season game rolls around.

We'll find out.

thunderkyss
08-04-2010, 06:30 PM
And then there was the time when we badly needed a safety, and KC had just released one, and it just so happened that his former D-back coach was on staff here in that same capacity.

Difference there, nobody was saying, "Sign Pollard, we need that guy, go get him."

This is more like billboards on I-59 begging for Vince, millions of fans ecstatic about Reggie coming to Houston... all waking up one morning saying, "Mario who? From where? Is he even in this draft?"

steelbtexan
08-04-2010, 07:18 PM

I hear you man. But this time I believe Schobel is Uncle BoB's kinda guy. As long as he come doesn't ask for too much $$$$$.

Pollard and Schobel are 2 different situations. Hopefully Smithiak learned something after dragging their feet on signing Pollard last year and that contributing to not making the playoffs.

They need to sign Schobel ASAP. IMHO

ATXtexanfan
08-04-2010, 07:19 PM
the best way to fix your secondary is to get after the qb. bring him in.

Brandon420tx
08-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Passing Downs DLine
Schobel Mitchell Smith Williams

Well ... Madden does come out next week

Jackie Chiles
08-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Difference there, nobody was saying, "Sign Pollard, we need that guy, go get him."

This is more like billboards on I-59 begging for Vince, millions of fans ecstatic about Reggie coming to Houston... all waking up one morning saying, "Mario who? From where? Is he even in this draft?"

Quite a few people were saying it actually. It died down because we didn't even know the Texans were interested at all and he was still unsigned going into week 2 of the season. Pretty much everyone was thrilled when he did sign here, obviously.

Other than that, are we still hung up on 06? Really?

TheRealJoker
08-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Passing Downs DLine
Schobel Mitchell Smith Williams

Well ... Madden does come out next week

Don't forget sending in Barwin as a rush backer. I actually expect to see Barwin worked into the LB rotation a lot until Cushing comes back.

TimeKiller
08-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Goodness gracious. This is one of those kinda deals where you sign first, ask questions later. How are we gonna play all these talented players at one time? I dunno buuuut I bet you it's fun figuring it out. I'm trying not to get to invested in Schobel to Houston thoughts....but Mario - Smith - Okoye - Schobel gives plenty of reason to think that line gets upwards of 35 sacks by themselves. Not to mention going crazy sending Barwin, Mitchell, Bulman and don't forget ol' Cushing roaming not too far behind the line. This is as no brainer as no brainer goes. Dude's practically begging to be on the team. As evidenced by this quote I read in an article and saw on television:

"C'mon MAAAAN MY KIDS LIVE HERE!! C'MON KUBIAK YOU LIKE KIDS!! C'MON BOB McNAIR I'M JUST A GOOD OL' CHOIR BOY LIKE YOU LIKE TO HAVE!! C'MON RICK SMITH I LIVE AN HOUR AWAY, COME VISIT MEEEE FOOOOOOOOOLIOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

See. Begging. He's/I'm begging you.

JB
08-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Goodness gracious. This is one of those kinda deals where you sign first, ask questions later. How are we gonna play all these talented players at one time? I dunno buuuut I bet you it's fun figuring it out. I'm trying not to get to invested in Schobel to Houston thoughts....but Mario - Smith - Okoye - Schobel gives plenty of reason to think that line gets upwards of 35 sacks by themselves. Not to mention going crazy sending Barwin, Mitchell, Bulman and don't forget ol' Cushing roaming not too far behind the line. This is as no brainer as no brainer goes. Dude's practically begging to be on the team. As evidenced by this quote I read in an article and saw on television:

See. Begging. He's/I'm begging you.

Got a link for that?

nytexan
08-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Although I don't necessarily disagree with anything anyone has said, I think one of the benefits of signing this guy will be to cut back on the inordinate amount of plays Mario, Smith and Okoye are in. These guys almost never come off the field and in the 4th quarter where most sacks occur, being fresher can only help.

Schobel and the continued development of Barwin and Mitchell can only help. So even more than just putting your 4 best pass rushers on the field at the same time can help, getting the aformentioned players some rest with competent replacements will assist the defense even more in my opinion. Plus it may even cut back on all the minor injuries Mario seems to pile up with all the plays he's in.

JB
08-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Although I don't necessarily disagree with anything anyone has said, I thing one of the benefits of signing this guy will be to cut back on the inordinate amount of plays Mario, Smith and Okoye are in. These guys almost never come off the field and in the 4th quarter where most sacks occur, being fresher can only help.

Schobel and the continued development of Barwin and Mitchell can only help. So even more than just putting your 4 best pass rushers on the field at the same time can help, getting the aformentioned players some rest with competent replacements will assist the defense even more in my opinion. Plus it may even cut back on all the minor injuries Mario seems to pile up with all the plays he's in.

Well said! People, rep this guy for me please.

houstonspartan
08-04-2010, 08:36 PM

For starters, I'm really surprised such a "Rah, rah, the Texans can do no wrong" fan like yourself is so down on this deal. I know you think the Texans are the perfect organization and Gary Kubiak is the perfect coach, so I'm really shocked you don't give them more credit with this situation.

Second, I recall another qb situation. I remember everybody and their grandmother was after this guy named Matt Schaub in Atlanta. He was a hot commodity. However, after a weekend of golf with Gary Kubiak, he called Rick Smith, and they hammered out a major deal in a couple of days. It was a complicated deal that they had to MOVE FAST ON. They were criticized for moving so fast and giving up so much, we we all know how that turned out.

Yes, this seems like a "too good to be true" scenario. But let's wait and see how this turns out. We have a lot at stake here, maybe they realize they need to move fast here.

And, trust me, I'm a very critical member of this team and staff, but, I think this may be situation where we can't ignore the obvious: Schoebel would be a perfect move.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Although I don't necessarily disagree with anything anyone has said, I thing one of the benefits of signing this guy will be to cut back on the inordinate amount of plays Mario, Smith and Okoye are in. These guys almost never come off the field and in the 4th quarter where most sacks occur, being fresher can only help.

nytexan, you make too much sense. Please report to sick call immediately.

[rep coming your way]

drewmar74
08-04-2010, 08:49 PM

Well said. You and TimeKiller hit the nail squarely on the head as far as I'm concerned. Very well put.

Rep given from myself and on behalf of JB as well.

Honoring Earl 34
08-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Sign Schobel and let the competition begin . Play him like the 9ers played Fred Dean and whoever doesn't want to get after the QB ... won't be in there .

thunderkyss
08-04-2010, 09:28 PM
For starters, I'm really surprised such a "Rah, rah, the Texans can do no wrong" fan like yourself is so down on this deal. I know you think the Texans are the perfect organization and Gary Kubiak is the perfect coach, so I'm really shocked you don't give them more credit with this situation.

:shocked

I've criticized the Texans plenty. Granted, moreso the previous regime...

But this is just too easy... I think we're setting ourselves up for a big letdown.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Anybody remember Stifler in American Pie??

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20100803&Category=SPORTS11&ArtNo=8030353&Ref=AR&Profile=1049&MaxW=320&MaxH=300&Q=100&mime=jpeg

If not, you may remember Stifler's mother.

El Tejano
08-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Jerry Jones would've made this signing already.

RagingBull
08-04-2010, 11:17 PM
This is worth it just as an insurance policy in case Mario is hurt again, not to mention the overall improvement we would see from rotating fresh, competant, guys in regularly.

steelbtexan
08-04-2010, 11:27 PM

Great post

Repped

Got it for you JB

houstonspartan
08-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Exactly. And I hate Jerry Jones.

jaayteetx
08-04-2010, 11:46 PM

Who cares what Jerry Jones would've done, how many superbowls has this guy won since Jimmy Johnson left? Exxxxcatly!

Big Lou
08-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Has anyone said:

MCNAIR IS CHEAP, A REAL OWNER WOULD HAVE SIGNED THIS GUY ALREADY!!!:pissed:

If so I'm sorry, if not I said it first!!! HAHAHAHA, JK.

J_R
08-05-2010, 12:06 AM
McClain_on_NFL (http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL)

The Texans are also interested in DE Aaron Schobel. He told the Chronicle Monday night the Texans are at the top of his list.

McClain_on_NFL (http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL)

Schobel, who resides an hour from Houston, wants to be reunited with Bill Kollar, the Texans D line coach who coached him in Buffalo.

GuerillaBlack
08-05-2010, 12:13 AM
Sign the man! Nytexan and Timekiller are so right when they say it'll also help with giving our other lineman some rest. It also makes the Texans D-Line very deep. Think about it...we'll be rotating Mario, Smith, Mitchell, Schobel, Barwin, Okoye, etc. Keeps everyone more fresh for the fourth quarter...not to mention the season.

And for those that say it'll take away reps from Barwin...I disagree, and even if it does, so what? Schobel on the team would only make Barwin better (as Schobel can be a good teacher to Barwin, as well as keep Barwin healthy). We lose nothing by having Schobel on the team, and gain a whole bunch. This is a no brainer signing.

zanth91
08-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Something from earlier, what most of you know already - http://torotimes.com/2010/08/04/aaron-schobel-coming-to-houston/

drs23
08-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Chill. Rick's gonna ink him. Give 'em a little time :foottap:

dalemurphy
08-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Chill. Rick's gonna ink him. Give 'em a little time :foottap:

AJ first... then Schobel. I think everything will be agreed upon by tomorrow night.

houstonspartan
08-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Sign the man! Nytexan and Timekiller are so right when they say it'll also help with giving our other lineman some rest. It also makes the Texans D-Line very deep. Think about it...we'll be rotating Mario, Smith, Mitchell, Schobel, Barwin, Okoye, etc. Keeps everyone more fresh for the fourth quarter...not to mention the season.

And for those that say it'll take away reps from Barwin...I disagree, and even if it does, so what? Schobel on the team would only make Barwin better (as Schobel can be a good teacher to Barwin, as well as keep Barwin healthy). We lose nothing by having Schobel on the team, and gain a whole bunch. This is a no brainer signing.

Yep. And, it sounds like Schoebel will be up for one, maybe two more years before he's done for good. During that time, Barwin can be learning from him, and waiting his turn. That gives us New England Patriots-type of depth.

People are forgetting that basically the only way to beat Peyton Manning is to keep him off the field. Schoebel can go a long way towards helping us with that.

run-david-run
08-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Who cares what Jerry Jones would've done, how many superbowls has this guy won since Jimmy Johnson left? Exxxxcatly!

Uhh, one more than we ever have.

GuerillaBlack
08-05-2010, 02:08 AM
Uhh, one more than we ever have.

That was still a Jimmy Johnson made team.

infantrycak
08-05-2010, 02:27 AM
That was still a Jimmy Johnson made team.

Yup. If Switzer had been half the coach Jimmy was that would have been four in a row.

mexican_texan
08-05-2010, 02:52 AM
AJ first... then Schobel. I think everything will be agreed upon by tomorrow night.

610 said it was close tonight.

But his deal has to be done first to know the cap implications.

zanth91
08-05-2010, 03:36 AM
610 said it was close tonight.

But his deal has to be done first to know the cap implications.

Cap? What cap?

infantrycak
08-05-2010, 03:48 AM
Cap? What cap?

There isn't a team in the league acting as if there won't be a cap after this year.

Texans34Life
08-05-2010, 08:52 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m8d4-How-would-Schobel-fit-into-the-Texans-rotation

Aaron Schobel is officially a free agent and fans and media alike seem to be in overwhelming agreement that the Texans should sign the soon-to-be 33 year old defensive end from Columbus.

The trending topic on sports talk radio has been 'whooeee' think about him opposite Mario .. watch out Peyton Manning!'

Yeah, sack numbers are good and the Texans desperately need to pressure the quarterback this year to take pressure off a highly suspect secondary, but for me it's not just the simple question of going out and signing the guy.

When questioned today about Schobel, Gary Kubiak acknowledged that the former Horned Frog is a 'heck of a player' but he also said something that gets to the crux of what's been lodged in my brain since 'Schobel Watch' started a few days ago.

"You look at your team and see where you're at and what's going on with your team," said Kubiak.

To me, that's another way of saying 'how exactly would he fit in to the Texans defensive line rotation?'

Let's get beyond the knee jerk 'sign him now' and see what it would mean if Schobel really became a Texan.

Rewind to last season.

The Texans took 9 defensive linemen into Week One of the 2009 season: Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, Antonio Smith, Shaun Cody, Connor Barwin, Tim Bulman, DelJuan Robinson, Frank Okam and Jeff Zgonina.

Tim Jamison was added to the roster in October and the Texans carried 10 DLs on the 53 for the second half of the season.

I went back and looked at gamebooks for every game in 2009 and you can see patterns on how the Texans set up their DL rotation.

First of all the 'starting four' for almost every game was Antonio Smith, Amobi Okoye, Shaun Cody, and Mario Williams.

DT Jeff Zgonina, DE Tim Bulman (6-4, 271) and DE Connor Barwin were the primary rotation guys. DT DelJuan Robinson (6-3, 307) was active and in the rotation for most of the games. DT Frank Okam (6-5, 346) was not active for most of the games. DE Tim Jamison (6-3, 275) was active for only a few games, mostly against the pass oriented teams like Indy and Arizona.

The Texans currently have 14 DLs on the roster.

Based on what I've seen at practice there's no reason to believe the Texans starting DL won't be Smith, Okoye, Cody and Williams. And based on last year's precedent and this year's draft there's good reason to believe that Connor Barwin and Earl Mitchell are the first two DLs in the rotation.

Zgonina is gone so DelJuan Robinson seems to be the logical choice to move up to the backup nose behind Cody. (talking the base 4-3 now - not nickel because 94 has been playiing inside some at camp)

Frank Okam was inactive for most games in 2009 and he appears to be an underdog to make the roster in 2010.

So let's count: Smith, Okoye, Cody, Williams, Barwin, Mitchell, Robinson, Bulman are my top eight.

After that, the Texans have a bunch of defensive ends on the roster - and remember what we're going to do here. We're going to sign another DE.

Bulman is 6-4, 271 he's a bit light to play inside except for passing situations. Adding Schobel (6-4, 243) to the Smith, Williams, Barwin, Bulman rotation would obviously take reps away from Bulman or maybe even Barwin.

Smith has been working inside some in camp but at 6-4, 282 you can't expect him to play inside on more than just 3rd downs.

Jamison, Mitch Unrein, Malcolm Sheppard, Jesse Nading and Pannel Egboh are the bottom five of the 14 DLs currently on the depth chart.

There are no answers in this rambling mess, just a few tidbits that Kubiak and Kollar are probably tossing around as we speak. This is more to make you think than anything.

If Mario's hip becomes a real issue, then I can see the Schobel signing making perfect sense. Otherwise, I think I'd rather have a badass nose tackle than yet another defensive end - especially if he would cost a lot of money and only be able to play for one or two years (especially if retroactive cap accounting becomes a reality with the new CBA).

thunderkyss
08-05-2010, 09:20 AM
If Mario's hip becomes a real issue, then I can see the Schobel signing making perfect sense. Otherwise, I think I'd rather have a badass nose tackle than yet another defensive end - especially if he would cost a lot of money and only be able to play for one or two years (especially if retroactive cap accounting becomes a reality with the new CBA).

If they decide to keep Bulman, Jamison, Nading instead of signing Schobel for one year (maybe 2, maybe 3)... then there isn't much that can be said about that.

Bulman, rah-rah, and all that, but he would be (& should be) the odd man out. Schobel should take his spot in the rotation.

period.

But like I said... this is more evidence, that it will not happen.

Blake
08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
If Schobel plays for a team this year, it will 100% be for the Texans. If he isnt playing for the Texans this year, it is because he retired as a Bill.

His ties to Houston and Kollar are all you need.

Porky
08-05-2010, 09:39 AM
In regards to the article posted, I'm not sure where the author thinks we can get a "bad ass" nose. Is there one growing on a tree somewhere that the author would like to toss our way?

In regards to the "competition" at DE that he suggests....really? I mean Jesse Nading or Tim Bulman providing competition for snaps with Schobel? Really? Really?

I would place Malcolm Shepard on the practice squad, and if you want to keep 10, then Bulman is my 10th, but let's not mince words. Tim Bulman, for all his hustle, is no Aaron Schobel. So what if he takes some snaps away from Barwin or anyone else. If you can make your team better and deeper, you do it. Period. End of story.

dalemurphy
08-05-2010, 10:16 AM
In regards to the article posted, I'm not sure where the author thinks we can get a "bad ass" nose. Is there one growing on a tree somewhere that the author would like to toss our way?

In regards to the "competition" at DE that he suggests....really? I mean Jesse Nading or Tim Bulman providing competition for snaps with Schobel? Really? Really?
I would place Malcolm Shepard on the practice squad, and if you want to keep 10, then Bulman is my 10th, but let's not mince words. Tim Bulman, for all his hustle, is no Aaron Schobel. So what if he takes some snaps away from Barwin or anyone else. If you can make your team better and deeper, you do it. Period. End of story.

Porky, I couldn't agree with you more!

Goatcheese
08-05-2010, 10:17 AM
This team doesn't sign old players as anything more than depth. Their philosophy is to bring in young players who haven't reached their full potential yet rather than old players who are on the decline.

Maybe this will be the exception that breaks the rule, but Rick Smith hasn't deviated yet and I wouldn't get my hopes up. :bubbles:

thunderkyss
08-05-2010, 10:25 AM
This team doesn't sign old players as anything more than depth. Their philosophy is to bring in young players who haven't reached their full potential yet rather than old players who are on the decline.

Maybe with this will be the exception that breaks the rule, but Rick Smith hasn't deviated yet and I wouldn't get my hopes up. :bubbles:

Hadn't really noticed that before, but I think you're right.

One more reason to believe it ain't going to happen.

badboy
08-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Don't forget sending in Barwin as a rush backer. I actually expect to see Barwin worked into the LB rotation a lot until Cushing comes back.I have heard nothing to support that but is interesting. Please let me know if you find any link.

Rey
08-05-2010, 11:26 AM
I have heard nothing to support that but is interesting. Please let me know if you find any link.

He was used that way last year, and I don't remember when I saw it but Barwin himself recently said that the coaches plan to move him around a lot.

edit:

This is what I read--

Attacking from every angle

Kollar might move Barwin around as he progresses this season, including standing him up and rushing him at times. Barwin is intelligent enough to handle whatever the coaches throw at him, and he's eager to take advantage of every opportunity.

"I want to (move around)," he said. "That will help us disguise our rushes. Then, hopefully, I won't be a step short (of the quarterback) like I was last season."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7138122.html

Looks like if he can handle it, they will do it.

datchapin
08-05-2010, 11:28 AM

Maybe with this will be the exception that breaks the rule, but Rick Smith hasn't deviated yet and I wouldn't get my hopes up. :bubbles:

So umm, what were A. Green, J. Putzier, C. Brown, and E. Wilson among others? Almost forgot E. Moulds.

Or were you being sarcastic?

Rey
08-05-2010, 11:32 AM
So umm, what were A. Green, J. Putzier, C. Brown, and E. Wilson among others? Almost forgot E. Moulds.

Or were you being sarcastic?

Ron Dayne, Danny Clark (the first time), Ephriam Salaam wasn't brought in to start but he started a lot of games for us...

datchapin
08-05-2010, 11:35 AM
He was used that way last year, and I don't remember when I saw it but Barwin himself recently said that the coaches plan to move him around a lot.

edit:

This is what I read--

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7138122.html

Looks like if he can handle it, they will do it.

Barwin never lined up off the line. I don't think they're going to work him at LB, just think they meant moving him around on the line. Probably flipping him between LE and RE for stunts and such. I think.

Rey
08-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Barwin never lined up off the line.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall a few times where Barwin was standing up a little off the line and backed off into coverage. I don't know if he was at LB per se, but I do recall him standing up a few times and either rushing or dropping into coverage.

I don't think they're going to work him at LB, just think they meant moving him around on the line. Probably flipping him between LE and RE for stunts and such. I think.

That may be the case.

But moving from one side to the other to rush the QB is not much of an adjustment. From the tone of the snippet I posted it seems that they want to do some things that are a little more complex.

datchapin
08-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Ron Dayne, Danny Clark (the first time), Ephriam Salaam wasn't brought in to start but he started a lot of games for us...

Kay, so what are we debating here? Dayne brought in with a purpose as the goal line back. I think he was on the downside of his career. Danny Clark.. Okay he was the exception, but he wasn't brought in for depth, he competed and earned a starting job. Salaam was no spring chicken and Swing tackle is not just for depth.

I just don't agree with GC I think Schobel fits the mold of our FA aquisitions. Experienced veteran who we might get on the cheap that can help the team.

Don't know if we'll get him, but I would hope so.

Rey
08-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Kay, so what are we debating here? Dayne brought in with a purpose as the goal line back. I think he was on the downside of his career. Danny Clark.. Okay he was the exception, but he wasn't brought in for depth, he competed and earned a starting job. Salaam was no spring chicken and Swing tackle is not just for depth.

I just don't agree with GC I think Schobel fits the mold of our FA aquisitions. Experienced veteran who we might get on the cheap that can help the team.

Don't know if we'll get him, but I would hope so.

Was not debating anything with you...Was just adding more players to the list you started to back up your argument :clown:

datchapin
08-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I could be wrong, but I seem to recall a few times where Barwin was standing up a little off the line and backed off into coverage. I don't know if he was at LB per se, but I do recall him standing up a few times and either rushing or dropping into coverage.

That may be the case.

But moving from one side to the other to rush the QB is not much of an adjustment. From the tone of the snippet I posted it seems that they want to do some things that are a little more complex.

Yeah, our DE's play standing from time to time and drop into coverage. That's part of the evolution of the DE position though. I think Peppers was one of the first DE's that made that more commonplace.

True it's not much of and adjustment, but it can be used to exploit matchups.

datchapin
08-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Was not debating anything with you...Was just adding more players to the list you started to back up your argument :clown:

My bad:rake:

thunderkyss
08-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Barwin never lined up off the line. I don't think they're going to work him at LB, just think they meant moving him around on the line. Probably flipping him between LE and RE for stunts and such. I think.

He stood up plenty of times, and dropped back into coverage several times.

I wouldn't necessarily say he was a LB or anything, we use to see Weaver in coverage at times.

Vinnie
08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
He stood up plenty of times, and dropped back into coverage several times.

I wouldn't necessarily say he was a LB or anything, we use to see Weaver in coverage at times.

Unfortunately, we've also seen Mario in coverage.

Rey
08-05-2010, 11:55 AM
I thought this was an interseting and somewhat telling quote from Kollar (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6251) about Antonio Smith:

"When we move him inside, you really start to see him produce and make more plays. He was more effective for us last year when we moved him inside and obviously, we'll be doing the same thing this year a bunch. He keeps getting better all the time at defensive end, but he really played more inside when he was in Arizona, and that's where he feels more comfortable. He's been doing a good job."
- Kollar, on Smith, who tied for second on the team with 4.5 sacks last season

To me he is saying that they plan on bumping him down a lot more often than just sure passing situations. I have no problem with that because teams pass on first down all the time. Last year they moved him inside on run downs as well so I'd expect to see a lot more of this.

Sean Cody hasn't been mentioned much by anyone. I rarely see his name brought up. I don't really know what qualities he brings to the table other than being a solid experienced player at DT. Maybe he's not being mentioned much because he's just playing his role and going about his business...On the other hand, maybe he's not being mentioned much because he doesn't flash much. Probably a combonation of both.

That said, I don't think a Schobel signing would take away snaps from the DE's...I think it would take away snaps from our DT's...More specifically Cody... IF we sign Schobel I think we'd be able to bump Smith down (where there seems to be a consensus that he plays better) and play Schobel/Barwin on the outside more. I think that give our D-line a lot more punch...

If we are playing a team like the Colts I would not be upset with a starting line of Schoebel/Smith/ Okoye/Mario. Thats a team that passes a lot, so why wait till third and long situations? If we sign Schoebel I seriously doubt that we'll be seeing Smith/Cody/Okoye/Mario for two consecutive downs unless it's a team that runs a lot because like I said earlier...teams don't just wait until third down to pass the ball...

steelbtexan
08-05-2010, 12:05 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m8d4-How-would-Schobel-fit-into-the-Texans-rotation

Aaron Schobel is officially a free agent and fans and media alike seem to be in overwhelming agreement that the Texans should sign the soon-to-be 33 year old defensive end from Columbus.

The trending topic on sports talk radio has been 'whooeee' think about him opposite Mario .. watch out Peyton Manning!'

Yeah, sack numbers are good and the Texans desperately need to pressure the quarterback this year to take pressure off a highly suspect secondary, but for me it's not just the simple question of going out and signing the guy.

When questioned today about Schobel, Gary Kubiak acknowledged that the former Horned Frog is a 'heck of a player' but he also said something that gets to the crux of what's been lodged in my brain since 'Schobel Watch' started a few days ago.

"You look at your team and see where you're at and what's going on with your team," said Kubiak.

To me, that's another way of saying 'how exactly would he fit in to the Texans defensive line rotation?'

Let's get beyond the knee jerk 'sign him now' and see what it would mean if Schobel really became a Texan.

Rewind to last season.

The Texans took 9 defensive linemen into Week One of the 2009 season: Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye, Antonio Smith, Shaun Cody, Connor Barwin, Tim Bulman, DelJuan Robinson, Frank Okam and Jeff Zgonina.

Tim Jamison was added to the roster in October and the Texans carried 10 DLs on the 53 for the second half of the season.

I went back and looked at gamebooks for every game in 2009 and you can see patterns on how the Texans set up their DL rotation.

First of all the 'starting four' for almost every game was Antonio Smith, Amobi Okoye, Shaun Cody, and Mario Williams.

DT Jeff Zgonina, DE Tim Bulman (6-4, 271) and DE Connor Barwin were the primary rotation guys. DT DelJuan Robinson (6-3, 307) was active and in the rotation for most of the games. DT Frank Okam (6-5, 346) was not active for most of the games. DE Tim Jamison (6-3, 275) was active for only a few games, mostly against the pass oriented teams like Indy and Arizona.

The Texans currently have 14 DLs on the roster.

Based on what I've seen at practice there's no reason to believe the Texans starting DL won't be Smith, Okoye, Cody and Williams. And based on last year's precedent and this year's draft there's good reason to believe that Connor Barwin and Earl Mitchell are the first two DLs in the rotation.

Zgonina is gone so DelJuan Robinson seems to be the logical choice to move up to the backup nose behind Cody. (talking the base 4-3 now - not nickel because 94 has been playiing inside some at camp)

Frank Okam was inactive for most games in 2009 and he appears to be an underdog to make the roster in 2010.

So let's count: Smith, Okoye, Cody, Williams, Barwin, Mitchell, Robinson, Bulman are my top eight.

After that, the Texans have a bunch of defensive ends on the roster - and remember what we're going to do here. We're going to sign another DE.

Bulman is 6-4, 271 he's a bit light to play inside except for passing situations. Adding Schobel (6-4, 243) to the Smith, Williams, Barwin, Bulman rotation would obviously take reps away from Bulman or maybe even Barwin.

Smith has been working inside some in camp but at 6-4, 282 you can't expect him to play inside on more than just 3rd downs.

Jamison, Mitch Unrein, Malcolm Sheppard, Jesse Nading and Pannel Egboh are the bottom five of the 14 DLs currently on the depth chart.

There are no answers in this rambling mess, just a few tidbits that Kubiak and Kollar are probably tossing around as we speak. This is more to make you think than anything.

If Schobel is signed, it looks like Bulman, Okam are out and Schobel is in. With Sheppard taking the role of Jamison. As a PS/sometimes on the active roster sometimes not.

If the cost (you can front load $$ this year) is reasonable. Giving Schobel 2yrs 10 mil (8mil this year in the uncapped year and 2 mil in 2012) wouldn't seem out line. IMHO

Not for a guy that can put up double digit sack numbers. Especially when their is not another DE on the roster that can do that not named MW. The bonus to all of this is that Barwin can learn the tricks of the trade from Schobel. Barwin and Schobel are the same type of players. (high motor guys)

I could see Barwin playing the SAM LB spot some until Cushing gets back. Barwin has the ability to do this. Overall signing Schobel and creating competition is a great problem to have. Something the Texans haven't had since their inception.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2010, 12:08 PM

He lined up off the line quite a bit.

dalemurphy
08-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm guessing that they will give Andre Johnson his news day with the press conference. I'm hopeful they are already ironning out contract details for Schobel now and will announce him tomorrow.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Yeah, our DE's play standing from time to time and drop into coverage. That's part of the evolution of the DE position though. I think Peppers was one of the first DE's that made that more commonplace.

True it's not much of and adjustment, but it can be used to exploit matchups.

If a DE stands up and backs up, then he's off the line. It effectively transforms a 4-3 to a 3-4. We used Barwin like that more than any other player last year. In those situations, Barwin was a rush linebacker able to move anywhere along the line to rush the passer.

ALL d-line positions, including DT, sometimes drop back into zone coverages. We do that quite a bit in Prevent situations. If you send someone else on a blitz when you drop your dlinemen into coverage, it's the zone blitz popularized by the Steelers and Panthers back in the early 90's.

HOU-TEX
08-05-2010, 12:21 PM
If a DE stands up and backs up, then he's off the line. It effectively transforms a 4-3 to a 3-4. We used Barwin like that more than any other player last year. In those situations, Barwin was a rush linebacker able to move anywhere along the line to rush the passer.

ALL d-line positions, including DT, sometimes drop back into zone coverages. We do that quite a bit in Prevent situations. If you send someone else on a blitz when you drop your dlinemen into coverage, it's the zone blitz popularized by the Steelers and Panthers back in the early 90's.

I liked this look a lot last season. Barwin never go to the QB in this scheme, but it opened things up a bit for the other Dlinemen. I think Barwin needs to do a better job at "picking his *****", so to speak. Maybe a slight hestitation after the snap to allow Olinemen to engage their men and then he can shoot the gap. Easier said than done...just thinking aloud

IDEXAN
08-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I could see Barwin playing the SAM LB spot some until Cushing gets back. Barwin has the ability to do this. Overall signing Schobel and creating competition is a great problem to have. Something the Texans haven't had since their inception.
What, Barwin is still learning how to be a 4-3 (hand down) pass-rushing DE,
and has also got much to learn about defensing rushing plays as a DE, and now you want him to take a crash-course as a 4-3 SAM so he can play that position some next month while Cushing is out ? Any other positions you want him to learn this month ?

Texan_Bill
08-05-2010, 12:26 PM
What, Barwin is still learning how to be a 4-3 (hand down) pass-rushing DE,
and has also got much to learn about defensing rushing plays as a DE, and now you want him to take a crash-course as a 4-3 SAM so he can play that position some next month while Cushing is out ? Any other positions you want him to learn this month ?

Given that OD had a set-back, I would suggest the Barwin take some reps as TE... :turtle: