PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Schobel Retired

Pages : 1 [2] 3

badboy
08-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I thought this was an interseting and somewhat telling quote from Kollar (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=6251) about Antonio Smith:

To me he is saying that they plan on bumping him down a lot more often than just sure passing situations. I have no problem with that because teams pass on first down all the time. Last year they moved him inside on run downs as well so I'd expect to see a lot more of this.

Sean Cody hasn't been mentioned much by anyone. I rarely see his name brought up. I don't really know what qualities he brings to the table other than being a solid experienced player at DT. Maybe he's not being mentioned much because he's just playing his role and going about his business...On the other hand, maybe he's not being mentioned much because he doesn't flash much. Probably a combonation of both.

That said, I don't think a Schobel signing would take away snaps from the DE's...I think it would take away snaps from our DT's...More specifically Cody... IF we sign Schobel I think we'd be able to bump Smith down (where there seems to be a consensus that he plays better) and play Schobel/Barwin on the outside more. I think that give our D-line a lot more punch...

If we are playing a team like the Colts I would not be upset with a starting line of Schoebel/Smith/ Okoye/Mario. Thats a team that passes a lot, so why wait till third and long situations? If we sign Schoebel I seriously doubt that we'll be seeing Smith/Cody/Okoye/Mario for two consecutive downs unless it's a team that runs a lot because like I said earlier...teams don't just wait until third down to pass the ball...If I remember correctly, Antonio had voiced prior to season 1 wih Texans that he preferred to play DE not DT & as the Texans were at that time looking for a "pass rusher opposite to Mario", that was why he signed with Houston. He is not opposed to DT just prefers DEs who usually get more sacks and therefor recognition.

RT22
08-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Schobel in 4 career games vs the Colts has a total 0 sacks.

gary
08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
The Broncos might now be in the mix with Elvis now out four months even though I know Aaron would not be the best fit for them.

Rey
08-05-2010, 11:45 AM

I guess that means he's due!:goodluck:

Rey
08-05-2010, 11:54 AM
If I remember correctly, Antonio had voiced prior to season 1 wih Texans that he preferred to play DE not DT & as the Texans were at that time looking for a "pass rusher opposite to Mario", that was why he signed with Houston. He is not opposed to DT just prefers DEs who usually get more sacks and therefor recognition.

I looked and I can't find anything with him saying that...But I do vaguely remember talk of him wanting to be a DE. I can't remember if that was fans talking or if there was an actual source though. If he did say that, it would seem to contradict the quote I posted from Kollar saying that he feels more comfortable inside.

But despite all of that, I am not saying move him to DT full time...I am just saying that against certain teams/matchups it might benefit us more if he slid down to DT more often. I have not heard anything from him recently that would indicate that he is not wanting to move down as often.

Goatcheese
08-05-2010, 12:31 PM
So umm, what were A. Green, J. Putzier, C. Brown, and E. Wilson among others? Almost forgot E. Moulds.

Or were you being sarcastic?

I'm talking about Rick Smith's stated philosophy.

Moulds and Putzier were brought in under CC in 2006.
C.Brown was not expected to start and was only 27 when they brought him in. Hardly the downside of a RB's career.
E.Wilson didn't make the Bucs as their 5th corner and was certainly not signed here as the expected starter. He worked hard and won the job. He was 27 at the time. Hardly the downside of his career.

A.Green is pretty much the only example, and Smith has been gun shy ever since.

Ron Dayne, Danny Clark (the first time), Ephriam Salaam wasn't brought in to start but he started a lot of games for us...

None of those were brought in as expected starters even in 2006 before Rick Smith got here. They got a chance and took advantage of it.

Texans34Life
08-05-2010, 12:34 PM

He didn't have Mario on the other side.

nero THE zero
08-05-2010, 12:34 PM
If I remember correctly, Antonio had voiced prior to season 1 wih Texans that he preferred to play DE not DT & as the Texans were at that time looking for a "pass rusher opposite to Mario", that was why he signed with Houston. He is not opposed to DT just prefers DEs who usually get more sacks and therefor recognition.

He had said that he preferred the 4-3 scheme over the 3-4 scheme (Arizona was making the transition over the final year of his contract)

Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

HouSportsWriter
08-05-2010, 12:49 PM
i dont think this was posted

"If I were a free agent and I could choose a team, it would be the Texans, without a doubt," Schobel told the Houston Chronicle earlier this week prior to his official release from the Bills.

Now, Kubiak has weighed in on Schobel, a Texas native, and sounds interested.

“He’s a heck of a player, obviously," Kubiak said today in remarks distributed by the team. "I’ve followed him for a lot of years and being a local guy, you know him around town here. But we are going to do our homework on him like we do on every player. He’s a fine football player. We’ll do our homework just like every other team and see what happens.”

*link*

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100805_gary_kubiak_on_aaron_schobel_hes_a_heckuv a_player

HouSportsWriter
08-05-2010, 12:54 PM
800th post! woot

and 200th highjacked post

I dont think we get him. Unless its for a 1 year deal.

Ryan
08-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I wonder with this new deal we're about to give AJ, if there's enough room to sign Schobel. He shouldn't cost a ton since he's definitely not in his prime anymore, but it has me curious. We tend to want to overpay FA's.

gtexan02
08-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I wonder with this new deal we're about to give AJ, if there's enough room to sign Schobel. He shouldn't cost a ton since he's definitely not in his prime anymore, but it has me curious. We tend to want to overpay FA's.

If its a one year rental deal, who cares?

Or we can frontload AJs contract to get the brunt of the cap hit out of the way

Mr teX
08-05-2010, 02:35 PM
If its a one year rental deal, who cares?

Or we can frontload AJs contract to get the brunt of the cap hit out of the way

I believe we've got plenty of cap room but just in case, we could do the bolded, & save 2 million by cutting Andre Davis & that should be able to get Schoebel here for a couple of years @ a reasonable price.

ArlingtonTexan
08-05-2010, 02:40 PM
I believe we've got plenty of cap room but just in case, we could do the bolded, & save 2 million by cutting Andre Davis & that should be able to get Schoebel here for a couple of years @ a reasonable price.

No cap for 2010.

El Tejano
08-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Hopefully Aaron saw how pleased Andre is and now figures he should try to end his career here.

steelbtexan
08-05-2010, 02:58 PM
What, Barwin is still learning how to be a 4-3 (hand down) pass-rushing DE,
and has also got much to learn about defensing rushing plays as a DE, and now you want him to take a crash-course as a 4-3 SAM so he can play that position some next month while Cushing is out ? Any other positions you want him to learn this month ?

He did drop into coverage quite a bit last year. It's not hard to make the swicth from DE to OLB.

Think Kampan,Ware,Porter etc....

Yeah while he's at it he could relearn the position he played 3 yrs in college. (TE) LOL

painekiller
08-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Barwin never lined up off the line. I don't think they're going to work him at LB, just think they meant moving him around on the line. Probably flipping him between LE and RE for stunts and such. I think.

He was in an upright stance on Monday. Do not remember if we were in a 3-4 or a 4-3. But Barwin was in a 2 point stance on a few plays.

ObsiWan
08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Okay... time for somebody to swim against the current

I haven't seen this much fuss :firehair::firehair: since Fat Albert was let go by the Tacks and there was a vocal contingent that was screaming "Sign him up!"

BTW... How'd that work out for the Redskins?

Color me skeptical... skeptical that Schobel has very much left in his tank.

If he had some value, any value, why didn't Buffalo hold out for a pick?
My goodness people, Smithiak managed to get a 5th out of San Diego for a gimpy Travis Johnson; who, even healthy, doesn't have near the motor that Schobel has shown.

I will say that IF Schobel really has a couple of good seasons left in him - say 20-25 quality snaps/game, then we should make him an offer.

I just really wonder if he does. Because if he does, why didn't Buffalo try to get something for him????

:twocents:

Fico
08-05-2010, 05:26 PM
They didn't hold out for a pick because they would have gotten nothing. Not because he can't play but because he was due an $8 mil bonus and everyone knew the Bills weren't going to pay that. So as a team why wouldn't you wait until he was released when you know it is going to happen?

I think he would add tremendous value here, especially with a player like Mario opposite him.

JB
08-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Okay... time for somebody to swim against the current

I haven't seen this much fuss :firehair::firehair: since Fat Albert was let go by the Tacks and there was a vocal contingent that was screaming "Sign him up!"

BTW... How'd that work out for the Redskins?

Color me skeptical... skeptical that Schobel has very much left in his tank.

If he had some value, any value, why didn't Buffalo hold out for a pick?
My goodness people, Smithiak managed to get a 5th out of San Diego for a gimpy Travis Johnson; who, even healthy, doesn't have near the motor that Schobel has shown.

I will say that IF Schobel really has a couple of good seasons left in him - say 20-25 quality snaps/game, then we should make him an offer.

I just really wonder if he does. Because if he does, why didn't Buffalo try to get something for him????

:twocents:

Because he had told them he was contemplating retirement, and he needed to report to be tradeable. When he did not report, the Bills put him on the did not report/retired list.

texans90
08-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey guys I don't post much but I enjoy reading what you guys have to say,I love the texans but I don't hear much about them in virginia,I had to order the sunday ticket to watch them I was wondering if y'all have heard any news on Aaron schobel since most of y'all live there maybe updates on sports talk radio,idk I'm just hoping he signs,but this is where I get all my texans news so I just wanna say thanks to all

ObsiWan
08-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Because he had told them he was contemplating retirement, and he needed to report to be tradeable. When he did not report, the Bills put him on the did not report/retired list.

Was he just tired of Buffalo (who wouldn't be?) or tired of football period?

JB
08-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Hey guys don't post much but I enjoy reading what you guys have to say,I love the texans but I don't hear much about the in virginia,I had to order the sunday ticket to watch the I was wondering if y'all have heard any news on Aaron schobel since most of y'all live there maybe updates on sports talk radio,idk I'm just hoping he signs,but this is where I get all my texans news so I just wanna say thanks to all

Your welcome! And any news, rumours, speculation and innuendo available about Schobel will be found in the 14 pages of this thread.

ChampionTexan
08-05-2010, 05:35 PM

I think as much as anything, his desire to play somewhere other than Buffalo (if he plays at all this season) is driven by:

1. The Bills switch to a 3-4 scheme
2. The Bills failure to make the playoffs for 10 straight years, with no realistic hope in sight.

JB
08-05-2010, 05:37 PM

From what I have read (his quotes), he was not sure if he wanted to go through the grind again. Also, his kids are in school and having to move them back and forth was a real drain and not something they wanted to do. But as things got closer he missed being with the guys and the fun of football. He said he had changed his mind maybe 10 times. Also, if he plays again, he would like it to be in Houston, and it would just be for one year.

disaacks3
08-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Was he just tired of Buffalo (who wouldn't be?) or tired of football period? The word was, he wanted OUT of Buffalo. Since Buffalo didn't seem interested in trading him, he decided to stay at home. Buffalo then cut him...which is what he seemed to want in the first place. He's coming off of a 10-sack year - I daresay he's still got enough "left in the tank" to compete for the Texans rotation.

ObsiWan
08-05-2010, 06:01 PM
They didn't hold out for a pick because they would have gotten nothing. Not because he can't play but because he was due an $8 mil bonus and everyone knew the Bills weren't going to pay that. So as a team why wouldn't you wait until he was released when you know it is going to happen?

I think he would add tremendous value here, especially with a player like Mario opposite him.

I did some searching and he was due a $2MIL bonus on March 1st but didn't collect because he didn't take the physical. And according to this article (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-08-04/ap-source-bills-release-lb-schobel), he still had a few yrs left on his contract.

He had four years left on a $50.5 million contract extension he signed in 2007. It's a deal that included a $2 million roster bonus he was due March 1. Schobel did not receive that money, because the payment was due on the condition he passed a physical.

If he gets rejuvenated by reuniting with Kollar and playing close to home, then I'm all for it. Perhaps, as others have said, he can teach the youngsters something.

It's just that the last 30-something guy I remember us getting from Buffalo (Eric Moulds) didn't work out so well.

nytexan
08-05-2010, 06:12 PM

Here's the Buffalo Bills perspective if you haven't seen it, it appears to be a team trying to get younger and letting an older pro play at home.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article93163.ece

Jackie Chiles
08-05-2010, 06:25 PM
I did some searching and he was due a $2MIL bonus on March 1st but didn't collect because he didn't take the physical. And according to this article (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-08-04/ap-source-bills-release-lb-schobel), he still had a few yrs left on his contract.

Whoever used the word bonus misspoke. He was due 8 mil base salary so in a trade the team acquiring him would have to pay all 8. Bills aren't going to pay him that much so every team knows hes going to be cut=zero trade value.

stevn8r
08-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Here's the Buffalo Bills perspective if you haven't seen it, it appears to be a team trying to get younger and letting an older pro play at home.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article93163.ece

Sounds like MUCH love for Schobel up there :heart:
I hope we love him too!

Second Honeymoon
08-05-2010, 09:08 PM
With the re-signing of AJ, the Texans may have opened the door for them to sign Schobel. The details aren't yet out as far as year-by-year compensation, but maybe it helped pave the way for Schobel's signing.

I don't think he is going to come here for the league minimum to say the least, so maybe moving some money around with AJ allows them the flexibility to add Schobel to the payroll.

This move makes sense either way. We have to get a pass rush and counting on Smith, Barwin, and Mario isn't a recipe for success. We need a better pass rush at DE (and DT) and Schobel could be the right guy at the right time. It's not as if its going to cripple us with lost draft picks or major hits to the salary cap in 2011.

wagonhed
08-05-2010, 09:16 PM
How is Smith, Barwin, and Mario not a recipe for success? Maybe not a recipe for a top 5 pass rush, but top 15 easily.

gg no re
08-05-2010, 09:23 PM
How is Smith, Barwin, and Mario not a recipe for success? Maybe not a recipe for a top 5 pass rush, but top 15 easily.

With the amount of draft picks and money we've put into the dline, anything but top 5 is a ripoff.

TheRealJoker
08-05-2010, 09:39 PM

Were we top 15 last year?

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Texans owner acknowledges interest in Schobel (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7141743.html)
By JOHN MCCLAIN
Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 5, 2010, 9:16PM

Owner Bob McNair admitted Thursday the Texans are interested in former Buffalo defensive end Aaron Schobel.

Schobel, who was waived by the Bills on Wednesday, is a free agent who wants to sign with the Texans if he elects to play a 10th season. Other teams are interested in Schobel.

“(General manager) Rick (Smith) is talking with our coaches, and they’re evaluating things and trying to determine exactly what role a player like Aaron would fill,” McNair said. “We all respect him.

“He’s a good player, and I’ve always admired the way he plays the game. He’s certainly played hard every time he’s played against us. He’s got a great reputation around the league.

“I think anybody would be happy to have him.”

Schobel, 32, had 10 sacks last season.

Sounds like a PRELUDE to.................

Cjeremy635
08-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Texans owner acknowledges interest in Schobel (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7141743.html)
By JOHN MCCLAIN

Thanks for the update....:shades:

I, for one, hope this thing gets done. This guy already has experience with one of our coaches, so the learning curve isn't really an issue. That translates to immediate impact and we need all the help we can get with pressuring the QBs in our division.

TexanSam
08-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Were we top 15 last year?

We were 25th in sacks last year. Mario, Smith, and Barwin may have potential as a pass rushing force but the Texans need it now. Adding Schobel could only help

gtexan02
08-06-2010, 08:25 AM

lol thats what they say every year we spent another 1st round pick on a DL

Babin, Okoye, Williams, Barwin, Smith, Robaire Smith.... what do they all have in common?

Potential.

Unfortunately, potential doesn't count in the W/L column.

Weve always been at the bottom in terms of sacks. Getting a proven guy into the system he's comfortable with is about as much of a slam dunk as you can get

SheTexan
08-06-2010, 09:24 AM
lol thats what they say every year we spent another 1st round pick on a DL

Babin, Okoye, Williams, Barwin, Smith, Robaire Smith.... what do they all have in common?

Potential.

Unfortunately, potential doesn't count in the W/L column.

Weve always been at the bottom in terms of sacks. Getting a proven guy into the system he's comfortable with is about as much of a slam dunk as you can get

Maybe it's a coaching thing! These guys are young and dumb with dollar signs in their eyeballs!! Hopefully Bush will be the guy to knock some sense into those over extended craniums and make them EARN those big bucks!! We can only hope!

thunderkyss
08-06-2010, 09:39 AM
By JOHN MCCLAIN

“(General manager) Rick (Smith) is talking with our coaches, and they’re evaluating things and trying to determine exactly what role a player like Aaron would fill,” McNair said.

Sounds to me like they are trying to find a reason to explain to all the fans why they didn't sign him. Seriously, is anyone on this board trying to figure out what role he would play? Most of us are trying to figure out what guy get's cut, we're trying to figure out what role the other guys would be playing. We know what Schobel would be doing.

I'm telling you, get ready for a "Not interested, we're comfortable with where we are right now."

& you know me, gumdrops & rainbows, but ain't no reason to be satisfied with what we got.

ubecool454
08-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Schobel would probably play for the Texans for less than most teams .....no state income tax and he is local guy that probably would love to end his career playing for his home team. He would be a good pickup because he is proven and would be great helping get pressure to help out the young secondary.

Vinnie
08-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Sounds to me like they are trying to find a reason to explain to all the fans why they didn't sign him. Seriously, is anyone on this board trying to figure out what role he would play? Most of us are trying to figure out what guy get's cut, we're trying to figure out what role the other guys would be playing. We know what Schobel would be doing.

I'm telling you, get ready for a "Not interested, we're comfortable with where we are right now."

& you know me, gumdrops & rainbows, but ain't no reason to be satisfied with what we got.

Yeah, I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy off that response either.

ubecool454
08-06-2010, 09:46 AM

Cut Okoye and move Antonio Smith inside and give Conner Barwin the start opposite Mario.

Goldensilence
08-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Maybe it's a coaching thing! These guys are young and dumb with dollar signs in their eyeballs!! Hopefully Bush will be the guy to knock some sense into those over extended craniums and make them EARN those big bucks!! We can only hope!

I don't think its as easy as banging their heads three stooges style. However, I do think it has been a coaching and schematic issue. I think Frank Bush has done a good job installing a system he know how to work. It's only his second year but, he has managed to put together a competent staff.

With such a young secondary I think it becomes vitally important even more so that we have a healthy pass rush. I think singing Schobel could only help at this point. We'll see if the two sides can come to a reasonable agreement.

rmartin65
08-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Cut Okoye and move Antonio Smith inside and give Conner Barwin the start opposite Mario.

Except that Okoye is having arguably the best camp of his short career.

As much as everyone hates this excuse, Okoye is very young still. So much so that he is now about rookie age. His body is probably just now finishing maturing, and it shows now. The Texans owe it to themselves to keep him on the roster. He still has the potential to become a very, very good DT. Plus, there are other DTs to cut before Okoye. I am looking at Okam.

ubecool454
08-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Except that Okoye is having arguably the best camp of his short career.

As much as everyone hates this excuse, Okoye is very young still. So much so that he is now about rookie age. His body is probably just now finishing maturing, and it shows now. The Texans owe it to themselves to keep him on the roster. He still has the potential to become a very, very good DT. Plus, there are other DTs to cut before Okoye. I am looking at Okam.

RMartin Ok, you convinced me.....keep Okoye...................................on the bench until he grows up completely.

drs23
08-06-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't think its as easy as banging their heads three stooges style. However, I do think it has been a coaching and schematic issue. I think Frank Bush has done a good job installing a system he know how to work. It's only his second year but, he has managed to put together a competent staff.

With such a young secondary I think it becomes vitally important even more so that we have a healthy pass rush. I think singing Schobel could only help at this point. We'll see if the two sides can come to a reasonable agreement.

Would they haze him? He's a vet after all? :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist. Had visions of Schobel standing on a chair singing his college fight song.

rmartin65
08-06-2010, 09:56 AM
RMartin Ok, you convinced me.....keep Okoye...................................on the bench until he grows up completely.

If he is not starting material, then absolutely keep him on the bench. He is still better than Okam, and in an uncapped year talent is all that should matter.

That said, I think Okoye takes a big step this year. He is an incredibly chiseled 280 ish, something that shows extreme dedication (to the degree of Cushing, even). People say that he looks explosive and strong. He is a starter to me until someone proves they are better.

Goldensilence
08-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Doubt they cut Okoye this year. However, if we don't see a steady improvement over last year's numbers I think next year it could be a reality.

Why move Smith inside full-time? Why move in the one guy we know for a fact can generate a decent pass rush on the outside and is still good against the run? Why do I keep seeing this posted over and over? How about giving Mitchell reps? I still don't see why this staff hasn't played Robinson more either.

If they do sign Schobel I'm guess one of the guys on the lower rung at DE gets cut and we see them rotated in and out more. Which if nothing else means as the game wears on we'll have fresher legs to throw at opposing offensive lines.

ubecool454
08-06-2010, 10:04 AM
If he is not starting material, then absolutely keep him on the bench. He is still better than Okam, and in an uncapped year talent is all that should matter.

That said, I think Okoye takes a big step this year. He is an incredibly chiseled 280 ish, something that shows extreme dedication (to the degree of Cushing, even). People say that he looks explosive and strong. He is a starter to me until someone proves they are better.

I would rather see, Cody, Earl Mitchell or Deljuan Robinson than Okoye. I think Okam can be better if he can keep that weight down and gain more intensity from somewhere. The way Okoye was getting tossed around last year....and you say is is down to 280? They'll throw him around like a rag doll for sure now..lol

rmartin65
08-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I would rather see, Cody, Earl Mitchell or Deljuan Robinson than Okoye. I think Okam can be better if he can keep that weight down and gain more intensity from somewhere. The way Okoye was getting tossed around last year....and you say is is down to 280? They'll throw him around like a rag doll for sure now..lol

Weight does not equal strength. Yes, it is a good indicator, but it is not the end all. I would go to say that Okoye is stronger than Okam. In addition, he is quicker and has better technique. Deljuan looks good against 3rd stringers in the pre season, Mitchell is an unknown (although, reports out of camp are looking good. I am getting ready to eat some crow here), and I actually feel more comfortable with Okoye than with Cody.

Also, Antonio Smith is about the same weight as Okoye is now. Actually lighter I believe, and not as strong.

Rey
08-06-2010, 10:22 AM

I don't think the Texans would go through all the motions just to string the fans a long.

I have no idea if a deal gets done, but I think there is genuine interest there.

I can't see any reason that they wouldn't just come out and say we are happy with the guys we have if that was the case.

Thorn
08-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I don't think the Texans would go through all the motions just to string the fans a long.

I have no idea if a deal gets done, but I think there is genuine interest there.

I can't see any reason that they wouldn't just come out and say we are happy with the guys we have if that was the case.

I'm thinking this as well, and the talks are probably all about money and his accepting a rotating rather than a starting role would be my guess.

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
You don't want the FO and coaches coming out and gushing about how great they think he is and how he's an immediate upgrade over anything we have on the team. At least, not until they sign him.

There's this common theme where fans listen to what coaches and front office people say and they expect them to be saying what they really think and feel. They can't do that. They can't give away that kind of information both to their players as well as to their opponents.

I mean, come on guys. They've got to do some negotiating here.

I don't know if we're going to get a deal done with him or not. I can't imagine that we wouldn't sign him if he wanted to play with us. But it's never that simple. There's always a ton of things going on in the background that we'll probably never hear about.

IDEXAN
08-06-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm thinking this as well, and the talks are probably all about money and his accepting a rotating rather than a starting role would be my guess.
I may be wrong, but I doubt that he'd really expect to displace Mario or Smith as a starter ?
Maybe he's really lukewarm about playing anymore and won't do so unless he gets a real premium, something the Texans (or any team) shouldn't reasonably be expected to fork over ?

Goldensilence
08-06-2010, 10:36 AM

I'm thinking TK is working the reverse psychology angle here.

ChampionTexan
08-06-2010, 10:45 AM
You don't want the FO and coaches coming out and gushing about how great they think he is and how he's an immediate upgrade over anything we have on the team. At least, not until they sign him.

You mean kind of like what happens if you're Darrelle Revis and you spend the better part of a season listening to your head coach spout off about how under-rated you are, and how you're the best defensive player in football, and then realize you're making less than $1 Million for the upcoming season?

You're saying that's not a business plan we should emulate?

badboy
08-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I would rather see, Cody, Earl Mitchell or Deljuan Robinson than Okoye. I think Okam can be better if he can keep that weight down and gain more intensity from somewhere. The way Okoye was getting tossed around last year....and you say is is down to 280? They'll throw him around like a rag doll for sure now..lolFact not opinion is that the Dline including Okoye as a starter shut down the running game beginning game 4. This was one of the "priority needs" that Smith and Kubiak identified for two last seasons. This has not been identified yet this season as a need due to the results. Okoye's drop in weight may allow him to get to the QB more. Let's allow him that chance before we fire him.

eriadoc
08-06-2010, 10:57 AM
This thread topic seriously needs to change to "Texans sign Schobel". Get on it, Smithiak.

Hooston Texan
08-06-2010, 11:08 AM
This thread topic seriously needs to change to "Texans sign Schobel". Get on it, Smithiak.

Won't happen until some time next week. Schobel, like any veteran who had his choice, would probably rather skip the rigors of early training camp with its emphasis on two-a-days. Next week is when the regimen shifts from two-a-days to practices designed to gear up for that weekend's game.

I'm pretty confident we'll get him (why would our coach and owner be so openly talking about him if we weren't interested?), but, wherever he goes, it will not be until sometime next week.

sometexansfan
08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Won't happen until some time next week. Schobel, like any veteran who had his choice, would probably rather skip the rigors of early training camp with its emphasis on two-a-days. Next week is when the regimen shifts from two-a-days to practices designed to gear up for that weekend's game.

I'm pretty confident we'll get him (why would our coach and owner be so openly talking about him if we weren't interested?), but, wherever he goes, it will not be until sometime next week.

I don't care when they do it, just do it!

painekiller
08-06-2010, 11:36 AM
After reading this thread I can say without reservation, Thank God most of you guys are not our GM.

Rick Smith has a cool head, and he will do what is best for the team.

HouSportsWriter
08-06-2010, 11:38 AM
REAL GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texans owner says his team is interested in Schobel

Houston Texans owner Bob McNair said his team is interested in signing the former Bills defensive end/linebacker.

Schobel, who played collegiately at TCU and lives in the Houston area, was waived by the Bills on Wednesday after oscillating on retirement this offseason. He is second in Bills club history with 78 sacks.

Schobel's pass-rush abilities hold plenty of interest for the Texans, who are trying to reach the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.

"(General manager) Rick (Smith) is talking with our coaches, and they’re evaluating things and trying to determine exactly what role a player like Aaron would fill," McNair told the Houston Chronicle. “We all respect him."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8198f9af/article/texans-owner-says-his-team-is-interested-in-schobel

sign him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HouSportsWriter
08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
shit just read the post from a hour ago sorry atleast it gos into detail

michaelm
08-06-2010, 11:41 AM
By JOHN MCCLAIN

Owner Bob McNair admitted Thursday the Texans are interested in former Buffalo defensive end Aaron Schobel.

Schobel, who was waived by the Bills on Wednesday, is a free agent who wants to sign with the Texans if he elects to play a 10th season. Other teams are interested in Schobel.

“(General manager) Rick (Smith) is talking with our coaches, and they’re evaluating things and trying to determine exactly what role a player like Aaron would fill,” McNair said. “We all respect him.

“He’s a good player, and I’ve always admired the way he plays the game. He’s certainly played hard every time he’s played against us. He’s got a great reputation around the league.

“I think anybody would be happy to have him.”

Schobel, 32, had 10 sacks last season.

Maybe you're interpreting what they're saying the wrong way. Maybe what they are saying is just coach-speak for saying that they're trying to figure out who they want to cut to make room for Schobel.

Honoring Earl 34
08-06-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm thinking if the Texans don't get him the Titans might . Go for the block Bob .

Nawzer
08-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Sign Schobel if it means Manning will see more face time with the ground. We need to win at least one game against the Colts this year imo to make the playoffs.

Rey
08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Maybe you're interpreting what they're saying the wrong way. Maybe what they are saying is just coach-speak for saying that they're trying to figure out who they want to cut to make room for Schobel.

This.

I can't really imagine them sitting around debating whether or not he'd be a worthy addition. I see the discussions leaning more toward who/whether or not the want to cut one of the D-linemen.

michaelm
08-06-2010, 11:52 AM
This.

I can't really imagine them sitting around debating whether or not he'd be a worthy addition. I see the discussions leaning more toward who/whether or not the want to cut one of the D-linemen.

I don't think the decision is whether or not they want to cut some one, but who they will cut.

gary
08-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Amobi.

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 12:28 PM
You mean kind of like what happens if you're Darrelle Revis and you spend the better part of a season listening to your head coach spout off about how under-rated you are, and how you're the best defensive player in football, and then realize you're making less than $1 Million for the upcoming season?

You're saying that's not a business plan we should emulate?

As examples go, I think that'll work.

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Amobi.

No. It will be one of the young DEs: Egboh or Jamison. Someone they can PS when the season starts.

Cjeremy635
08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Sign Schobel if it means Manning will see more face time with the ground. We need to win at least one game against the Colts this year imo to make the playoffs.

Face on the ground

Face on the ground

Lookin' like a fool with your face on the ground!

Sorry, I couldn't help it. That stupid "pants on the ground" song won't get out of my damn head for some reason. :wild:

HOU-TEX
08-06-2010, 01:50 PM
No. It will be one of the young DEs: Egboh or Jamison. Someone they can PS when the season starts.

As it stands now, we have 8 DE's on the roster.

Barwin
Mario
Smith
Bulman
Nading
Jamison
Egboh
Unrein

If we signed Schobel, I'd like to see

If we go with 4:
Mario
Schobel
Smith
Barwin

If we went with 5:
Mario
Schobel
Smith
Barwin
Bulman

Jackie Chiles
08-06-2010, 01:57 PM
For those who continue to doubt:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=5442286

"Houston-bound

There is good interest in former Buffalo defensive end Aaron Schobel, but even some of the clubs intrigued by the veteran pass-rusher, released by the Bills this week after he missed all the spring workouts and hinted at retirement, believe he's headed to Houston. Schobel is from the Houston area, played collegiately at TCU and, maybe most important, has played virtually all his career in a 4-3 front. Many of the teams interested in Schobel use a 3-4.

"If he wanted to play [a 3-4], he would have stayed in Buffalo and not forced his way out," said a coach from another AFC team.

The Texans need another end and pass-rusher, and Schobel has notched 78 career sacks with four seasons of 10 or more sacks. The Texans have never had a double-digit sack man other than Mario Williams. They haven't had another player with more than six sacks since 2006."

rmartin65
08-06-2010, 02:04 PM
As it stands now, we have 8 DE's on the roster.

Barwin
Mario
Smith
Bulman
Nading
Jamison
Egboh
Unrein

If we signed Schobel, I'd like to see

If we go with 4:
Mario
Schobel
Smith
Barwin

If we went with 5:
Mario
Schobel
Smith
Barwin
Bulman

I am thinking they go with 5. Mario has been having injury issues, Barwin is not quite ready to be an every down guy, and Schobel is a little old. 5 allows them a backup at each spot, and a spare that can be scratched on game day.

HOU-TEX
08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I am thinking they go with 5. Mario has been having injury issues, Barwin is not quite ready to be an every down guy, and Schobel is a little old. 5 allows them a backup at each spot, and a spare that can be scratched on game day.

I can be cool with that. I just think the team is getting to the point to where we don't have to hang on to the blue-collar effort guys like the Bulman, Nading and Jamison types any more. Especially in areas where we've underachieved like DE.

Honoring Earl 34
08-06-2010, 02:18 PM

I'm thinking Schobel can help turn Barwin into a beast .

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2010, 02:25 PM

I agree with that.

It's going to be a 5 way battle for that 5th spot with Bulman in the driver's seat for it. Jamison, Egboh, and Unrein still have PS eligibility afaik. That leaves the odd man out as Nading.

I really liked Jamison coming out of school and I'm rooting for him to take the spot.

J_R
08-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Linebacker Aaron Schobel, released this week by the Buffalo Bills, tells
FoxSportsHouston.com that he has yet to decide if he will play next season, but he’s leaning toward continuing his NFL career. If he plays in 2010, Schobel is maintaining his interest in joining the Texans.

“At this point, I have interest in them and I have interest in still playing,” Schobel said from his home in Columbus. “I’m not positive that’s what I want to do. I just want to keep all my options open.”

Schobel also said he is unsure how long it will take him to decide whether he’ll be in the NFL next season.

“I’m going to need at least two weeks before the season starts to get in game shape and understand what’s going on, ‘said Schobel.

Schobel said he is not in advanced talks with any team at this point.

“The Texans would be the first choice,” Schobel said. “I could keep my family here. I’m from here.

“The thing with the Texans would be a positive. I could keep all of them home and I would be the one doing all the traveling.”

Schobel said he considered retirement after last season, but wanted to make certain that he was through with football before formally retiring.

Schobel turns 33 in September. ...

The Texans say they are interested in at least exploring a contract with Schobel, but the two sides say they are not currently in negotiations.

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/08/06/10/Schobel-is-showing-interest-in-Houston/landing.html?blockID=285115&feedID=3714

nero THE zero
08-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Sounds like he'll sign about halfway through preseason; just skipping out on all the superfluous camp stuff.

thunderkyss
08-06-2010, 03:06 PM
For those who continue to doubt:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=5442286

"Houston-bound

There is good interest in former Buffalo defensive end Aaron Schobel, but even some of the clubs intrigued by the veteran pass-rusher, released by the Bills this week after he missed all the spring workouts and hinted at retirement, believe he's headed to Houston. Schobel is from the Houston area, played collegiately at TCU and, maybe most important, has played virtually all his career in a 4-3 front. Many of the teams interested in Schobel use a 3-4.

"If he wanted to play [a 3-4], he would have stayed in Buffalo and not forced his way out," said a coach from another AFC team.

The Texans need another end and pass-rusher, and Schobel has notched 78 career sacks with four seasons of 10 or more sacks. The Texans have never had a double-digit sack man other than Mario Williams. They haven't had another player with more than six sacks since 2006."

Just saying, but a lot of people had us taking a scat-back from USC with the #1 overall pick a few years back too.

Grain of salt.

El Tejano
08-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Sounds like he'll sign about halfway through preseason; just skipping out on all the superfluous camp stuff.

I'm okay with that. Like alot of people said, Barwin needs the reps anyhow.

rmartin65
08-06-2010, 03:28 PM
I can be cool with that. I just think the team is getting to the point to where we don't have to hang on to the blue-collar effort guys like the Bulman, Nading and Jamison types any more. Especially in areas where we've underachieved like DE.

Well, based on the guys that you listed, one "blue collar effort" guy is going to be on the roster. And actually, I am ok with that. Its nice to have high energy guys who give it their all every snap. Use them to wear the OLine out, it will be good. That said, I agree that I am glad they no longer make up half of the DE group. Only one of those guys is needed.

I'm thinking Schobel can help turn Barwin into a beast .

Me too! The old vet could really teach the young guy (who is very new to playing the defensive side of the ball) a thing or two.

I agree with that.

It's going to be a 5 way battle for that 5th spot with Bulman in the driver's seat for it. Jamison, Egboh, and Unrein still have PS eligibility afaik. That leaves the odd man out as Nading.

I really liked Jamison coming out of school and I'm rooting for him to take the spot.

I agree with you hear. Bulman is the guy at the moment. Beween the other 3, I dont see much of a talent difference. I really like the effort that Unrein plays with (watched a couple Wyoming games last year), so I hope that he gets stashed on the PS. Nading, I feel, has lasted this long due to the Colorado State connection. I feel weird saying that an NFL coach will keep someone over such a trivial matter, but it is the only excuse that I can thing of, especially when coupled with the fact that Kubiak & Smith seem to draft a CSU player every year.

The1ApplePie
08-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Alot of people are going to be disapointed if "Schobel" ends up being the name of a race horse

CloakNNNdagger
08-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Aaron Schobel: Seahawks would be interested in Schobel (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2297&line=177305&spln=1)

Aug. 7 - 4:36 pm et

GM John Schneider indicated that the Seahawks would "absolutely" have interest in OLB Aaron Schobel if the free agent ends up not signing in Houston.

"But it sounds like he's well on his way to Houston is basically what the message we've received (is)," added Schneider. "He can clearly still play." Schobel's reunion with Texans' assistant head coach/defensive line Bill Kollar seems inevitable. It's only a matter of time before he signs with his hometown team. Aug. 7 - 4:36 pm et
Source: 710 ESPN Seattle

False Start
08-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Great news, cant wait to see him line up on the D-Line for the home team. :jam: :cool:

gary
08-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Get him there by the Monday morning practice.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-07-2010, 05:18 PM

Get the contract ready for him by Monday Gary! :lol:

Go Texans!!!

Andrew6
08-07-2010, 05:20 PM

:boogie:

The Pencil Neck
08-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Come on, the guy wants to take a little break. He's a vet that doesn't want to go through the toughest part of camp again.

Give him a couple of weeks.

gary
08-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Come on, the guy wants to take a little break. He's a vet that doesn't want to go through the toughest part of camp again.

Give him a couple of weeks.
I was not being too serious.

AnthonyE
08-07-2010, 08:39 PM
I was not being too serious.

Keyword, too. Eh, Gary?

gary
08-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Keyword, too. Eh, Gary?
LOL, you got me.

J_R
08-08-2010, 11:01 AM
fwiw:

MikeGiardi: Source: #Patriots have "strong" interest in Aaron Schobel. But this is no Seau situation. He wants big $

Mike Giardi of CSNNE reports that a source tells him the Patriots have a "strong interest" in Aaron Schobel.

Giardi also adds that unlike Junior Seau, Shobel is looking for big money. Schobel would join Tully Banta-Cain as the starting linebackers, relegating Rob Ninkovich to backup duty. Whether or not the Patriots decide to bring Schobel on board probably hinges on how confident the team is with rookie third rounder Jermaine Cunningham seeing playing time right off the bat. Should they feel unsatisfied, Schobel would be a great fit

gary
08-08-2010, 11:08 AM
This is not good for the Texans if he wants huge money.

b0ng
08-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Yeah if he's not coming here to play for a home discount then I am fine with him going to some other team.

BullNation4Life
08-08-2010, 12:26 PM
fwiw:

MikeGiardi:

That makes no sense, unlike Seau, Schobel wants big money? So why the hell would the Patriots be looking a Schobel, knowing they do not give big money to players....

Honoring Earl 34
08-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah if he's not coming here to play for a home discount then I am fine with him going to some other team.

I'll wait and see but that's what Roger Clements did .

Lucky
08-08-2010, 12:29 PM
So why the hell would the Patriots be looking a Schobel, knowing they do not give big money to players....
They're looking at Schobel as a starter. So giving him starter's money makes sense.

Really, I'm OK with using Barwin in role of pass rushing specialist. I think he's going to surprise some people (like Peyton Manning) this year.

Honoring Earl 34
08-08-2010, 12:37 PM
They're looking at Schobel as a starter. So giving him starter's money makes sense.

Really, I'm OK with using Barwin in role of pass rushing specialist. I think he's going to surprise some people (like Peyton Manning) this year.

i think Barwin will do well this year . I think with Schobel pushing them ... some other guys game will ignite .

J_R
08-08-2010, 12:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8199a186/article/patriots-reportedly-join-seahawks-texans-in-pursuit-of-schobel-?module=HP_headlines

El Tejano
08-08-2010, 02:07 PM
If anyone puts up a fight for this guy, we most certainly will concede. It's the Houston way.

painekiller
08-08-2010, 02:31 PM
And agents never leak stories about players trying to get more money for a client.

The Pats can only offer $4M, the question will be twofold, is he worth $4M plus, and will the Texans be willing to pay him that kind of money?

gary
08-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I'll say no.

thunderkyss
08-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Again, you know, and everyone knows I'm all bubble gum and lollipops when it comes to the decisions this team makes, and all things Kubiak.

But if we don't get Schobel, we better be top 10 in sacks regardless.

I think someone already said we were top 10 in pressures... that's good and everything, but nothing pressures QBs, like sacks.

I'll give Kubiak the benefit of the doubt... but I will be so disappointed if our front four doesn't inspire fear into the hearts of the QBs we face come December.

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2010, 02:58 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8199a186/article/patriots-reportedly-join-seahawks-texans-in-pursuit-of-schobel-?module=HP_headlines

Schobel also wanted to spend more time with his family, and he began making that transition in the spring when he sold his Buffalo-home and relocated to Texas

If spending more time with his family was indeed behind the move to Texas, this is "money" talk is likely posturing by the Schobel camp. Usually, we end up on the short end of the stick.
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/mo/money-toilet-roll--dollar-bill-toilet-paper.jpg This one may just turn out differently, with Schobel using the other teams to obtain the best Texans offer, but still including a nice "home town discount."

TheRealJoker
08-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Pay the man. We need a pass rush. With Schobel entering the fold, we finally have a quality veteran that can help out the younger guys and still bring the heat.

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Here is the CONTRA argument for the Pats (http://www.necn.com/08/08/10/Pats-want-Schobel-he-may-not-want-them/landing_sports.html?blockID=285893&feedID=3352) being the final choice.
August 8, 2010, 11:03 am

When a source close to Schobel was told this morning of the bubbling interest in New England for Schobel's service, the reply was, "It's nice up there."

Schobel's agent Jeff Nalley has not returned calls.

The 32-year-old had 10 sacks for the Bills last year. At 6-4, 243 pounds, Schobel's never played in a 3-4 defense. The fact that he would cite his comfort with Kollar and familiarity with the system in place in Houston is an indication that - at this juncture - he's not real keen on relearning a new position.

That being the case, New England would likely have to get into an overpay situation to convince Schobel to come. With Logan Mankins stewing about his lack of a new deal and Tom Brady tapping his foot awaiting his own, throwing money at Schobel and a position that was supposed to be manned by The Reluctant End Derrick Burgess (obtained for a third and a fifth last year), would be messy business. Necessary business, perhaps, but messy all the same.

ChampionTexan
08-08-2010, 03:14 PM

I'll wait and see but that's what Roger Clements did .

Hopefully Bill Kollar will step in and fill the role Andy Petitte did for Roger.

awtysst
08-08-2010, 03:31 PM
The Pats play a 3-4. If Schobel is adament about not playing in a 3-4, the Pats do not make sense for him. If, on the other hand, he just wanted out of Buffalo, the Pats make a lot of sense.

Seattle is also an interesting spot, but it is a ways away from contending.

The Texans and Pats should be contenders for the playoffs. In my mind it comes down to $, if he is willing to switch his position, and how much he wants to win. If it comes down to winning, and he is ok about switching his position, he will go to the Pats.

gary
08-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Pay the man. We need a pass rush. With Schobel entering the fold, we finally have a quality veteran that can help out the younger guys and still bring the heat.How much at 32?

The Pencil Neck
08-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Who knows what's being said that's real and what's crap.

If he wants to be a starter, that's bad for us.

If he wants to play in a 4-3, that's good for us.

If he really wants to keep his kids here and be close to them, that's good for us.

If he really just wants the biggest paycheck he can get... that's good for Seattle. The Patriots probably aren't going to throw much money at him and I doubt we're going to throw a ton of money at a man who's not going to be a starter.

Nawzer
08-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Yesterday on our way to Austin, we made a quick stop in Columbus. And we saw Schobel's restaurant there (big place) and I decided to go in and see if the man himself was there. Unfortunately, Aaron wasn't there but I talked to some of the people there and they were sure he was going to sign with the Texans soon. So take that for what's its worth.

gary
08-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Yesterday on our way to Austin, we made a quick stop in Columbus. And we saw Schobel's restaurant there (big place) and I decided to go in and see if the man himself was there. Unfortunately, Aaron wasn't there but I talked to some of the people there and they were sure he was going to sign with the Texans soon. So take that for what's it worth.
I sure hope so.

Texas T
08-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Yesterday on our way to Austin, we made a quick stop in Columbus. And we saw Schobel's restaurant there (big place) and I decided to go in and see if the man himself was there. Unfortunately, Aaron wasn't there but I talked to some of the people there and they were sure he was going to sign with the Texans soon. So take that for what's it worth.

But did you also eat-Excellent food and service.

Nawzer
08-08-2010, 03:59 PM
But did you also eat-Excellent food and service.

No, we didn't. We were in a bit of a hurry. I will if he signs with the Texans!

Texas T
08-08-2010, 04:02 PM
No, we didn't. We were in a bit of a hurry. I will if he signs with the Texans!

I would suggest trying it whether he signs or not.
Still good people...with good food.

Lucky
08-08-2010, 04:03 PM
The Pats play a 3-4.
The Patriots play a hybrid defense, and there are enough opportunities for Schobel to put his hand down and rush the passer. It's not as if the Pats are going to ask him to drop back in coverage much.

I don't think the Texans have ever beaten out the Pats for the services of a free agent (Colvin, Bodden to name a couple). Maybe Schobel will be the first? I won't hold my breath.

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2010, 04:05 PM
The Pats play a 3-4. If Schobel is adament about not playing in a 3-4, the Pats do not make sense for him. If, on the other hand, he just wanted out of Buffalo, the Pats make a lot of sense.

Seattle is also an interesting spot, but it is a ways away from contending.

The Texans and Pats should be contenders for the playoffs. In my mind it comes down to $, if he is willing to switch his position, and how much he wants to win. If it comes down to winning, and he is ok about switching his position, he will go to the Pats.

I've seen Schobel's weight listed as anywhere from 243 to 262. Last year, the average 3-4 DE was 299.9, obviously because they are truly the equivalent of a DT in a 4-3. He would essentially need to convert to an LB type, necessitating learning different strategies and techniques. Not that easy for instant impact, which would be the only reason the Pats would want him. Both sides would be playing out an "experiment." At this point in his career, I question, even if the Pats want to take the chance of a 1 year failure, will Schobel want to take the chance that his performance/numbers take a nose dive, thus either ruining his value should he decide to prolong his career, or retire at an all-career low.

gary
08-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Let's just throw him a boat and new home.

badboy
08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
While hanging at the pool Sunday, one of my neighbors (from New York) a big Buffalo fan brougt up this guy and said he can still be a very good player and said he thought Texans were a shoo in.

barrett
08-09-2010, 11:04 AM
In lieu of a potential issue with Mario Williams' health, Aaron Schobel fit's even more perfectly in Houston than previously though. The question exists does he want to play in an ideal situation or does he want to get paid? (http://www.texansbullblog.com/expect-houston-pony-schobel/news/)

Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/) want's some answers.

Jagsbch
08-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Patriots as well as the Denver Broncos will be playing a lot of 4-3 this season.

Denver make no mistake about it, is in the market for his services as well, especialy with Elvis having surgery tomorrow.

Wolf
08-09-2010, 07:00 PM
There’s a lot of buzz out there regarding veteran free agent Aaron Schobel, and the latest is he’s in no rush to sign anywhere.

The thinking, according to Albert Breer of The Boston Globe, is that Schobel, 32, isn’t high on attending camp two-a-days and there’s a pretty good chance that when he does sign, it will be after teams break camp. Sounds familiar.

The Texans have represented as the leaders for Schobel, with the Patriots and Seahawks rumored to be interested. John McClain of the Houston Chronicle had more to say on the potential match, including why it will likely come down to money.

Much will also have to do with how the teams envision Schobel fitting into their defense, and what that is worth. The Patriots run a 3-4 as their base defense, and would need to determine if Schobel is a situational player or can fit into the base packages. There’s also asking price and meeting Schobel’s demands — he walked away from $8 million this season in Buffalo, and McClain suggests he could get as much as $4 million from the Texans.

Even Seahawks GM John Schneider conceded (per Seattlepi.com) Schobel has the strongest connections to the Texans.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/08/09/schobel-in-no-rush-to-sign-with-suitors/

gary
08-09-2010, 07:03 PM
I do not see him signing for another couple of weeks or so.

GP
08-09-2010, 07:44 PM
The Patriots play a hybrid defense, and there are enough opportunities for Schobel to put his hand down and rush the passer. It's not as if the Pats are going to ask him to drop back in coverage much.

I don't think the Texans have ever beaten out the Pats for the services of a free agent (Colvin, Bodden to name a couple). Maybe Schobel will be the first? I won't hold my breath.

Schobel will use us, just as others have.

Brandon420tx
08-09-2010, 07:56 PM

:snowday: I sadly agree

TexansFanatic
08-09-2010, 09:12 PM

If that turns out to be the case, I'm going to be pretty pissed. And not just at Schobel.

I think it's a no-brainer that the Texans should get this guy. Houston needs another pass rusher in the worst way. His hometown is right down the road. There's no freaking cap. Pay the dude and let's start the season.

thunderkyss
08-09-2010, 11:45 PM

:snowday: I sadly agree

If that turns out to be the case, I'm going to be pretty pissed. And not just at Schobel.

I think it's a no-brainer that the Texans should get this guy. Houston needs another pass rusher in the worst way. His hometown is right down the road. There's no freaking cap. Pay the dude and let's start the season.

In this scenario, it doesn't matter what the Texans offer. We could offer more money, & Schobel still may decide to go play for New England, or Seattle, or Tennessee.

TexansFanatic
08-09-2010, 11:58 PM
In this scenario, it doesn't matter what the Texans offer. We could offer more money, & Schobel still may decide to go play for New England, or Seattle, or Tennessee.

I can't imagine Schobel playing for another team if the Texans offer the most money. If that happens, I'll be unhappy with Schobel.

But if the Texans lose out on his service due to a passive approach or a weak offer......

Well, we'll see.

Dutchrudder
08-10-2010, 10:29 AM

I haven't seen the Titans mentioned as a place of interest for him, have you? They do play a 4-3 and are relatively close to his home, more so than most teams.

El Tejano
08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
I haven't seen the Titans mentioned as a place of interest for him, have you? They do play a 4-3 and are relatively close to his home, more so than most teams.

And Tenn is the type of team that will make a serious move for a guy like that.

JWarren14
08-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Not sure if this has been posted in the previous pages.

Link (http://blog.seattlepi.com/hawkfan/archives/217283.asp?from=blog_last3)

Seahawks GM says Schobel well on his way to Houston

Clayton: "Aaron Schobel could be a good fit here, I know that Houston is after him hard and he probably, likely going to Houston, is he a candidate for this team?

Schneider "Candidate? Absolutely, but he sounds like he is well on his way to Houston is basically what the message we've received is"

ProximoMetalica
08-10-2010, 11:10 AM
The Texans cannot afford to miss out on signing this guy! This is the year for us to take the next step and adding a guy like Schobel would definately help to get us to where we need to be! I am worried though, somehow I just don't think it is going to get done. Its been too quiet, unless he just wants to get into camp as late as possible. Hopefully they will announce a news conference soon on his signing!

BIG TORO
08-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Not sure if this has been posted in the previous pages.

Link (http://blog.seattlepi.com/hawkfan/archives/217283.asp?from=blog_last3)

Seahawks GM says Schobel well on his way to Houston

Hell yea! I hope this is all true.

No More 8-8's
08-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Just Get It Done.

El Tejano
08-10-2010, 11:18 AM
The Texans cannot afford to miss out on signing this guy! This is the year for us to take the next step and adding a guy like Schobel would definately help to get us to where we need to be! I am worried though, somehow I just don't think it is going to get done. Its been too quiet, unless he just wants to get into camp as late as possible. Hopefully they will announce a news conference soon on his signing!

Most likely we will say, "oh that's too much to ask" and let him go take another team to the playoffs. Although Mcnair seems a little different this year.

ChampionTexan
08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Just Get It Done.

When the Brian Cushing PED thing originally came up, the Andre Johnson "holdout" provided a distraction to all of that.

We now have more Cushing crap going on, and bringing Schobel on board would be a way better distraction than the AJ thing was!

BIG TORO
08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
If we can pick up Schobel and reduce or eliminate Cushing's suspention our defense is going to shine.

P.S. Maybe Revis can come down and play too, since his contract was rejected.

Rey
08-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I think we'll sign Schobel in time for the third pre-season game.

BIG TORO
08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
How long do we have to wait?

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2010, 03:59 PM
How long do we have to wait?

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Probably a couple of weeks.

texanfan2002114
08-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Mark berman on Channel 26 here in Houston said he spoke with Aarron a couple of days ago and he will not make a decision whether to play this season or not for another 2 weeks.

Sounds like to me as a NFL player not wanting to be in training camp.

JWarren14
08-10-2010, 04:15 PM
As long as he can still make plays like this

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d812a17b6/WK-1-Can-t-Miss-Play-Schobel-INT-TD

Ole Miss Texan
08-10-2010, 04:24 PM
As long as he can still make plays like this

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/09000d5d812a17b6/WK-1-Can-t-Miss-Play-Schobel-INT-TD

Great video, thanks! I think Schobel would be INVALUABLE here. That play right there shows a savvy veteran, one that knows how to diagnose a play as it's happening and put himself in the best position.

I love Mario Williams, I'm a fan of Antonio Smith and a really really like Connor Barwin. I think Smith provides some of those veteran moves at both the DE and DT spot. If we can get Schobel in there on a decent number of snaps, with Smith pushing inside and then either Amobi or Earl Mitchell at the other DT spot - our DL becomes a strength! We've still got Barwin to plug in as a pass rushing DE to keep everyone fresh.

From all accounts Schobel is a great guy, would be wonderful in the locker room, is an extremely hard worker and hustles every single play until the whistle is blown. I think that would be a huge asset, not only for our team, but to mentor Connor Barwin (who I think can be VERY similar to Schobel as he develops).

I want us to sign this guy so much.

Texan_Bill
08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Mark berman on Channel 26 here in Houston said he spoke with Aarron a couple of days ago and he will not make a decision whether to play this season or not for another 2 weeks.

Kinda what I was thinking. Hell, he's a 9 year vet. I would stay away from camp as long as possible, if I were him.

TimeKiller
08-10-2010, 06:16 PM
So sign him and say, "C'mon folks, we brought you your hero...let him take an extra week to prepare for the season." There will be exactly zero complaints. Even Richard Justice couldn't spin that into negativity.

Imagine playing a 5-2 like this:
Barwin-Mario-Okoye-Smith-Schobel
Ryans-Cushing
Jackson-Pollard-?-Quin

Awesome.

JB
08-10-2010, 06:23 PM
So sign him and say, "C'mon folks, we brought you your hero...let him take an extra week to prepare for the season." There will be exactly zero complaints. Even Richard Justice couldn't spin that into negativity.

Imagine playing a 5-2 like this:
Barwin-Mario-Okoye-Smith-Schobel
Ryans-Cushing
Jackson-Pollard-?-Quin

Awesome.

That would be awesome! And replace the ? with Wilson. If he can stay healthy (bangs head against the table) we have a very good safety combo.

thunderkyss
08-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I can't imagine Schobel playing for another team if the Texans offer the most money. If that happens, I'll be unhappy with Schobel.

But if the Texans lose out on his service due to a passive approach or a weak offer......

Well, we'll see.

I don't know what we'll know. We'll find out what the other team signs him for, but I doubt you'll get credible information about what the Texans offered, it will get lost in ambiguity, and people will continue to believe McNair is cheap.

No, but if you remember the David Givens home town discount...

TexansFanatic
08-10-2010, 08:09 PM

Excellent point. I hate to admit it, but I hadn't really given that much thought. I actually feel much better about the delay now. Thanks! ;-)

HouSportsWriter
08-10-2010, 09:03 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d814eb4dd/Bills-fourth-down-stop

i want this to happen aginst the colts...

4th and goal from the one schobel gets a sack

HouSportsWriter
08-11-2010, 04:30 PM
kubes talked with him

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819ad745/article/kubiak-texans-spoken-to-schobel-but-nothing-is-imminent

Kubiak discussed the Texans' interest in the free-agent defensive end/linebacker, whom the Buffalo Bills released a week ago after Schobel waffled on retiring during the offseason.

"Nothing has changed. We're still in the informational process," the coach told the team's official Web site. "I talked to him the other day.

"It's just a matter of every day, what does Aaron want to do? Where does he want to do it? We'll stay part of that process."

How long Schobel's decision-making process will take is anyone's guess.

"As far as when, where, how, whatever, I don't know," Kubiak said

J_R
08-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Lance Z: Schobel to the Texans is not looking good right now. #trustme (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23trustme)

HouSportsWriter
08-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Lance Z: Schobel to the Texans is not looking good right now. #trustme (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23trustme)

when was that posted

Rey
08-11-2010, 04:33 PM

Why doesn't he give a reason?

J_R
08-11-2010, 04:35 PM
when was that posted

20 minutes ago

Not sure. I'll take his word though

HouSportsWriter
08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
20 minutes ago

Not sure. I'll take his word though

ill stick with this

Kubiak discussed the Texans' interest in the free-agent defensive end/linebacker, whom the Buffalo Bills released a week ago after Schobel waffled on retiring during the offseason.

"Nothing has changed. We're still in the informational process," the coach told the team's official Web site. "I talked to him the other day.

"It's just a matter of every day, what does Aaron want to do? Where does he want to do it? We'll stay part of that process."

How long Schobel's decision-making process will take is anyone's guess.

"As far as when, where, how, whatever, I don't know," Kubiak said

that was posted on nfl.com 30 min so i will stick with kubes

TexansFanatic
08-11-2010, 05:42 PM
lance z: Schobel to the texans is not looking good right now. #trustme (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23trustme)

son of a !!!

mexican_texan
08-11-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm finding it hard to get excited about signing a player who isn't even sure he wants to play football, let alone have the drive to be elite.

GP
08-11-2010, 06:04 PM
This is just comical.

08-11-2010, 06:10 PM
at this point...

Brett Favre : Minnesota :: Aaron Schobel : Houston

(on a smaller scale, of course)

Vinnie
08-11-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't care anymore, let's move on with the season. I think we'll be fine at DE, Mario got cleared to play, Bulman will be back, and Raheem is in camp. Let's just act like a bunch of Fonze's about the situation.

Cjeremy635
08-11-2010, 07:24 PM
I don't care anymore, let's move on with the season. I think we'll be fine at DE, Mario got cleared to play, Bulman will be back, and Raheem is in camp. Let's just act like a bunch of Fonze's about the situation.

http://obnoxious.webblogg.se/images/fonzy_1140205021.jpg

08-11-2010, 07:52 PM

i'm not stressing about him either, but yeah, schobel > brock > bulman. i'd rather have him.

BullNation4Life
08-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Why yall buggin about Schobel? Dude will get signed before Dallas pre-season game and come in already knowing the D-Line system because of his time with Kollar.

I don't blame him for not wanting to come into training camp until week 3, have yall been outside lately? It's hotter than a mutha out there....

J_R
08-12-2010, 07:17 AM

Lance Z: there are way more teams interested in Schobel than I thought and I think money will be an issue.

J_R
08-12-2010, 07:46 AM

Mario will be brought along slowly. Bulman is a candidate to go on IR, and Raheem is not in camp. He tried out and left town.

El Tejano
08-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Lance Z:

Yep. And so we are going to settle for a guy like Raheem Brock. How can you expect your team to do whatever it takes to win a championship if you aren't willing to do whatever it takes to win a championship.

Porky
08-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Yep. And so we are going to settle for a guy like Raheem Brock. How can you expect your team to do whatever it takes to win a championship if you aren't willing to do whatever it takes to win a championship.

Why don't we wait and see the outcome first before we bash the owner. I think Mcnair has shown he will spend the money if and when it makes sense (see Johnson, Andre) but when you have a 53 man roster to take care of you can't go throwing crazy money around or you end up eventually releasing guys or letting guys walk via Free agency that you want to keep.

IMO, we still have the inside track, but if Schobel wants 8 million, let someone else overpay him. At 33, he isn't worth that kind of jack. Don't get me wrong, I think he still has something left in the tank, but he is on the downside and will be a spot player.

Vinnie
08-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Mario will be brought along slowly. Bulman is a candidate to go on IR, and Raheem is not in camp. He tried out and left town.

Hey, there's that other whistlebritches they brought in too, and we still have Barwin. :bubbles:

HOU-TEX
08-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Why don't we wait and see the outcome first before we bash the owner. I think Mcnair has shown he will spend the money if and when it makes sense (see Johnson, Andre) but when you have a 53 man roster to take care of you can't go throwing crazy money around or you end up eventually releasing guys or letting guys walk via Free agency that you want to keep.

IMO, we still have the inside track, but if Schobel wants 8 million, let someone else overpay him. At 33, he isn't worth that kind of jack. Don't get me wrong, I think he still has something left in the tank, but he is on the downside and will be a spot player.

Agreed, and if we don't land him we'll hear the same BS from a select few around here with the, "McNair's a cheap SOB, he only cares about $"

If the dude doesn't have "the itch" yet then I'm not sure we'd want him anyway.

badboy
08-12-2010, 09:35 AM
If it was only money, he could have remained in Buffalo regardless of the D. I think if he gets a reasonable offer from Houston and he should, he will sign after allowing most of the TC heat to pass. I don't see him needing much time to ramp up.

drs23
08-12-2010, 09:41 AM

Thank you Porky. Might also add #59 and #83. I have no way to back up my opinion but I bet Schobel knows he's not going to match 8 mill that was he woulda made in Buffalo. But who knows? Some team may just step up and give him some Fat Albert bank

Ole Miss Texan
08-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Buffalo has been trying to trade him all offseason but no team would do it because of his contract. So I don't think a team is willingly going to offer up $8MM to him. Twill be interesting to see how much he ends up signing for and where. I really hope it's here for a fair amount.

HOU-TEX
08-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Buffalo has been trying to trade him all offseason but no team would do it because of his contract. So I don't think a team is willingly going to offer up $8MM to him. Twill be interesting to see how much he ends up signing for and where. I really hope it's here for a fair amount.

Yep, Poindexter LaCanfora said as much last night on NFLTA. Along with the Texans, he mentioned the Pats and Seahawks aren't offering what Schobel supposedly wants.

IDEXAN
08-12-2010, 12:36 PM
It's possible Schobel may end up signing with the Texans yet, but him deciding to come to Houston to play is obviously far from being the slam-dunk some were calling it just a couple days ago.

thunderkyss
08-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Why yall buggin about Schobel? Dude will get signed before Dallas pre-season game and come in already knowing the D-Line system because of his time with Kollar.

I don't blame him for not wanting to come into training camp until week 3, have yall been outside lately? It's hotter than a mutha out there....

I'm sure there are similarities between what we are doing, and what Schobel was asked to do in Buffalo. If he were going back to Buffalo, I could understand, and agree.

But this is Texas, like you said, have you been outside? He needs to be in here, sweating his butt off, and getting acclimated to our weather, and his new teammates.

We aren't asking him to be a locker room role model, we need him to put it all out on the field from day 1.

If Raheem BRock is ready to go, I say we roll with it. I would much prefer Schobel, but we don't have time to play around with Prima Donna DEs.

gary
08-12-2010, 05:50 PM
It's going to just come down to the prise if you ask me.

thunderkyss
08-12-2010, 05:53 PM
I just learned BRock signed in Tennessee (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/wires/08/12/2020.ap.fbn.titans.brock.0129/).

I'm officially miffed.

Second Honeymoon
08-12-2010, 06:01 PM
McNair is more concerned about profits than wins and losses...just look at him being one of the spearheads of the greedy owner gang. I guess a billion dollars doesn't go as far as it used to.

McNair needs to pay this guy and improve the team's chances. Mario is already laboring around and we didn't even have a pass rush with him.

More of the same. Hopefully the guys can overcome because McNair isn't willing to spend $$ to attract top players. He has retained a few, with mixed results (see Carr), but you gotta be able to lure good players...and overpaying for 2nd rate guys like Antonio Smith doesn't count.

Just spend the money you cheapskated on with Dunta, and spend it on Schobel.

ReliantTexan
08-12-2010, 06:06 PM
McNair is more concerned about profits than wins and losses...just look at him being one of the spearheads of the greedy owner gang. I guess a billion dollars doesn't go as far as it used to.

McNair needs to pay this guy and improve the team's chances. Mario is already laboring around and we didn't even have a pass rush with him.

More of the same. Hopefully the guys can overcome because McNair isn't willing to spend $$ to attract top players. He has retained a few, with mixed results (see Carr), but you gotta be able to lure good players...and overpaying for 2nd rate guys like Antonio Smith doesn't count.

http://i37.tinypic.com/15cinab.gif

JB
08-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Bwaahahahaha!!! I knew you would be around soon. Surprised it took this long.

Cjeremy635
08-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Are you seriously still spewing this argument? Come on bro, you gotta come up with a different angle.

ThaShark316
08-12-2010, 06:08 PM

:lol:

Haters gonna hate:bender:

The Pencil Neck
08-12-2010, 06:28 PM

Dude.

You've got issues.

Cjeremy635
08-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Dude.

You've got issues.

For realzzzzzzzzzz. :cool:

SheTexan
08-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Bwaahahahaha!!! I knew you would be around soon. Surprised it took this long.

Mr negativity is BAAAAAACCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!

Rey
08-12-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm sure there are similarities between what we are doing, and what Schobel was asked to do in Buffalo. If he were going back to Buffalo, I could understand, and agree.

Buffalo is switching to a 3-4

But this is Texas, like you said, have you been outside? He needs to be in here, sweating his butt off, and getting acclimated to our weather, and his new teammates.

We aren't asking him to be a locker room role model, we need him to put it all out on the field from day 1.

The weather is not really a factor in Reliant...Nothing to get acclimated to...

He's a vet who'd be playing in a back-up role, mostly as a guy who we want to pin his ears back and get the QB. I don't see why missing a few weeks of training camp would greatly affect his performance given the circumstances he'd be playing under.

b0ng
08-12-2010, 06:56 PM

He's a vet who'd be playing in a back-up role, mostly as a guy who we want to pin his ears back and get the QB. I don't see why missing a few weeks of training camp would greatly affect his performance given the circumstances he'd be playing under.

Same. He's playing for his old DL coach if he comes here. I don't think Kollar has changed his coaching techniques enough to where Schobel would be completely lost.

EDIT: I don't think I want him here if he's going to demand more than a couple million for this year.

El cabezon
08-12-2010, 07:01 PM

What are you smoking?

steelbtexan
08-12-2010, 07:09 PM

You know how I feel on this issue. But in this uncapped year I'm willing to wait and see if uncle BoB will step up to the plate. A front loaded 2 yr 10 mil $$$ deal sounds about right to me.

Cjeremy635
08-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Same. He's playing for his old DL coach if he comes here. I don't think Kollar has changed his coaching techniques enough to where Schobel would be completely lost.

EDIT: I don't think I want him here if he's going to demand more than a couple million for this year.

That's pretty much my line of thinking as well. We were all pretty optimistic about our defense this year prior to the Schobel interest. If this deal doesn't fall our way, it's not the end of the world. We're in the same boat that the coaches anticipated us being in heading into the season. Would an extra piece be nice? Sure. Is it required? No.

I'd like to have him here and I think that he could contribute from the beginning, but not at any cost.

Cjeremy635
08-12-2010, 07:11 PM
You know how I feel on this issue. But in this uncapped year I'm willing to wait and see if uncle BoB will step up to the plate. A front loaded 2 yr 10 mil $$$ deal sounds about right to me.

Really? I wouldn't pay him over $4 million a year.....and I think that's a stretch. JMHO.

steelbtexan
08-12-2010, 07:16 PM
That's pretty much my line of thinking as well. We were all pretty optimistic about our defense this year prior to the Schobel interest. If this deal doesn't fall our way, it's not the end of the world. We're in the same boat that the coaches anticipated us being in heading into the season. Would an extra piece be nice? Sure. Is it required? No.

I'd like to have him here and I think that he could contribute from the beginning, but not at any cost.

Uncapped year, you can front load the contract so there will be know salary cap ramifications. Aint my $$$$ but since Uncle BoB has the 10th most wealthy sports franchise in the world I'm sure he can afford Schobel if Kubes wants him.

JB
08-12-2010, 07:19 PM

I would be willing to give him $4 mill of Bob's money for the one year.

JB
08-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Uncapped year, you can front load the contract so there will be know salary cap ramifications. Aint my $$$$ but since Uncle BoB has the 10th most wealthy sports franchise in the world I'm sure he can afford Schobel if Kubes wants him.

I believe he is on record as saying that if he plays, he only wants to play one more year. He is not looking past this year.

Cjeremy635
08-12-2010, 07:24 PM

It doesn't matter if it's an uncapped year or not, IMO. To me, you can't set a precedence for over paying players. Pick a # you think they are worth and hold to your guns. It's one thing if they are already on the team and fall into the GOAT category (see Andre), but to over pay for a player that may not be an every down guy is a little tough to swallow. I'd rather people want to play for us than laugh at us for throwing around rediculous money. You can't build a dynasty like that. You could possibly be a one hit wonder with that philosophy, but I'd rather have staying power. I know everyone wants to win and win now. I just think we need to be smart how we do it.

steelbtexan
08-12-2010, 07:40 PM
I get what your saying, but I've had 9 yrs of staying power and it's time to start winning. I dont care how much it costs uncle BoB. It's not my$$$$.

1 yr 5.5/6 mill would be my number. That's a number that shouldn't have any long term effects on the state of this franchise.

steelbtexan
08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
I believe he is on record as saying that if he plays, he only wants to play one more year. He is not looking past this year.

If Schobel will take 1 yr 5.5/6 mil. McNair should do the deal.

With MW already having health issues in TC, Schobel is worth the $$$$. IMHO

Thorn
08-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Dude.

You've got issues.

We've all got issues. LOL

drs23
08-12-2010, 08:43 PM

A little late here but WTF SH? The only thing you have contributed in my short time here is how Bob McNair is a cheap SOB. Can we get a bar of soap for him too? What color should it be? I think you should choose. Pink's already taken. Red perhaps? Green maybe? I dunno. I think I'll just go back to my prior policy of not reading anything you have to spew. :boogereater:

edo783
08-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Might want to ask yourself the question "Since Schobel walked away from 8+ million to play this year in Buffalo (yes they released him, but at his request since he couldn't tell them if he was retiring or not), why would he want to play elsewhere for half of that"? Granted, the Bills are a BAD team, but money is money. Now I could see him going for the 4 mill thing with the Pats, because he would have a fair chance for a ring with them. With us, fair chance at the playoffs, but fairly unlikely to reach the SB in our first rodeo. He would be close to his home though. Not sure that trumps 4 mill.

Tailgate
08-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Might want to ask yourself the question "Since Schobel walked away from 8+ million to play this year in Buffalo (yes they released him, but at his request since he couldn't tell them if he was retiring or not), why would he want to play elsewhere for half of that"? Granted, the Bills are a BAD team, but money is money. Now I could see him going for the 4 mill thing with the Pats, because he would have a fair chance for a ring with them. With us, fair chance at the playoffs, but fairly unlikely to reach the SB in our first rodeo. He would be close to his home though. Not sure that trumps 4 mill.

Yeah, actually thats pretty much it imo.

SheTexan
08-12-2010, 09:52 PM

8 of our games are on the road, with only 2 of them in a domed stadium. One of the hottest games our boys have ever played was in Reliant stadium!! Don't let all those guys who are out there sweating their asses off know you think this dude is to good to get HOT!! If he truly wants to play here then he needs to make a deal, and get his butt in practice!! JMO!

JB
08-12-2010, 09:57 PM
8 of our games are on the road, with only 2 of them in a domed stadium. One of the hottest games our boys have ever played was in reliant stadium!! Don't let all those guys who are out there sweating their asses off know you think this dude is to good to get hot!! If he truly wants to play here then he needs to make a deal, and get his butt in practice!! Jmo!

Yeah!!!

76Texan
08-12-2010, 11:07 PM
8 of our games are on the road, with only 2 of them in a domed stadium. One of the hottest games our boys have ever played was in Reliant stadium!! Don't let all those guys who are out there sweating their asses off know you think this dude is to good to get HOT!! If he truly wants to play here then he needs to make a deal, and get his butt in practice!! JMO!

She, you're good because you're always a HOT mama! :runaway:

TexCanada
08-12-2010, 11:17 PM
It doesn't matter if it's an uncapped year or not, IMO. To me, you can't set a precedence for over paying players. Pick a # you think they are worth and hold to your guns. It's one thing if they are already on the team and fall into the GOAT category (see Andre), but to over pay for a player that may not be an every down guy is a little tough to swallow. I'd rather people want to play for us than laugh at us for throwing around rediculous money. You can't build a dynasty like that. You could possibly be a one hit wonder with that philosophy, but I'd rather have staying power. I know everyone wants to win and win now. I just think we need to be smart how we do it.

I completely agree with this post.

imatexan
08-13-2010, 03:27 AM

That cheapskate won't even pay AJ good money!

Ohh wait:thinking:

hobie
08-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I get what your saying, but I've had 9 yrs of staying power and it's time to start winning. I dont care how much it costs uncle BoB. It's not my$$$$.
1 yr 5.5/6 mill would be my number. That's a number that shouldn't have any long term effects on the state of this franchise.

In a way it is, as the more he shells out to players, trust me, he's going to get it back in ticket prices, parking and concessions.... so, in a way, yeah, it is your money....

HOU-TEX
08-13-2010, 08:28 AM
All I have to say is, thank the good Lord we don't have a GM that runs personel like a couple here. Giminey Christmas! We'd surely be worse than the Raiders ever were. Actually, Al would be laughing at us

:rolleyes: at SH

ThaShark316
08-13-2010, 04:24 PM
LanceZierlein

Aaron Schobel Texans info coming...... right..... now

HOU-TEX
08-13-2010, 04:26 PM
LanceZierlein

:confused:

J_R
08-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Said it on 1560. Anyone listening?

Edit: my bad.... the Texans/Schobel info was on 1560 just now. I didn't put it on the original tweet. I'll get the info out on twitter soon

ThaShark316
08-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Said it on 1560. Anyone listening?

Just turned it on...commercial...

eriadoc
08-13-2010, 04:29 PM

That's because you're more concerned with McNair's profits than wins and losses.

:D

J_R
08-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Lance Z: Schobel not looking for a long term deal at all. He'll play this year and Texans have interest but $$ appears to be a major stumbling block

LanceZierlein (http://twitter.com/LanceZierlein)

ths is simple. Texans wnt take a cap hit b/c its a 1 year deal in an uncapped year. Pass rush is a major need & Mario's health is a concern

CloakNNNdagger
08-13-2010, 04:53 PM
With Kubes referring to Mario as all of a sudden "doing great," my suspicious mind keeps telling that this may not be the case. The timing of his "miraculous" turnaround could be bargaining leverage for Schobel. Negotiations would be very tough if Mario was seen as being rested in anticipation of heading for the glue factory. Just saying.:kitten:

michaelm
08-13-2010, 05:49 PM
LanceZierlein

I can't understand what LZ is trying to say with half his tweets... is it just me?

JB
08-13-2010, 05:53 PM
I can't understand what LZ is trying to say with half his tweets... is it just me?

His tweets are sometimes disjointed. Or replying to an earlier question. Do you also follow HoustonDiehards and BigRon281 and the other bloggers?

michaelm
08-13-2010, 06:00 PM
His tweets are sometimes disjointed. Or replying to an earlier question. Do you also follow HoustonDiehards and BigRon281 and the other bloggers?

I don't really follow anyone on twitter. I clicked on a link in this thread that took me to LZ twitter page.
I've had various twitter apps on my iphone on and off for a while, but seem to never use them. I actually just re-installed the official twitter app so I could follow LZ to see if this story develops.

JB
08-13-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't really follow anyone on twitter. I clicked on a link in this thread that took me to LZ twitter page.
I've had various twitter apps on my iphone on and off for a while, but seem to never use them. I actually just re-installed the official twitter app so I could follow LZ to see if this story develops.

Ahh. ok. Yeah, then his tweets won't make any sense, because he is usually interacting with numerous others like those I mentioned and Stephanie Stradley...aka TexansChick

michaelm
08-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Ahh. ok. Yeah, then his tweets won't make any sense, because he is usually interacting with numerous others like those I mentioned and Stephanie Stradley...aka TexansChick

I just added Steph, and Houston Die Hards. I was already a follower of AJ at The Examiner, but I hadn't actually been following anyone in a while... if that makes any sense.
I guess I'm going through another phase giving it a try, but I just never have gotten into it that much, which is kind of strange I guess, because I'm a bit of a technology whore and I'm on facebook all the time...

JB
08-13-2010, 06:11 PM
I just added Steph, and Houston Die Hards. I was already a follower of AJ at The Examiner, but I hadn't actually been following anyone in a while... if that makes any sense.
I guess I'm going through another phase giving it a try, but I just never have gotten into it that much, which is kind of strange I guess, because I'm a bit of a technology whore and I'm on facebook all the time...

That's kinda funny to me, because I do not follow facebook at all (tho I have an account), even though that is where most of my family is. I just really like all the up to date info I get from twitter. And I follow a lot of the Texans, and it is really cool getting a question answered directly.

NitroGSXR
08-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Yes sir. Hopping on your boat.

And please don't start with the Andre Johnson contract. There was no getting out of that for Bobby. Even Marge Schott couldn't weasel out of that. Andre's getting his money no matter what. That's what franchise players get. I'm just glad our franchise player isn't a CB (Aso) or a safety.

TimeKiller
08-13-2010, 07:09 PM
So he wants the 8 mil he left on the table in Buffalo somewhere else (i.e. HOUSTON), for 1 year? I'm sorry but....come on. This isn't hard.

J_R
08-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Lance Z: Texans haven't made an offer yet. wht will B interesting is if Texans playing hardball b/c they think Schobel will have 2 agree 2 their price. Either way, they need him

welsh texan
08-14-2010, 06:09 AM
I'll admit i'm no real expert but I've been watching this story develop and taken on board all of the info available to me and cannot see for the life of me why they wouldn't do everything in their power to get this done.

Surely they aren't assessing their DLine situation thinking that will do when pass rush was still an issue last year.

Uncapped year, the guy wants to wear Deep Steel Blue, Mario is a doubt, Barwin is only going into year 2, Cushing is out for 4 games too and surely this would help to protect that position somewhat in his absence?

I hope this isn't a money issue because the uncapped year should fall in our favour as a young team who didn't make the playoffs last time out.

Pay him Rick.

dream_team
08-14-2010, 08:57 AM
I may be the only person on this forum who won't lose any sleep if this deal doesn't go through. Sure I'd love to have Schoebel, but I hope McNair doesn't over pay the guy. I also hope they consult the rest of the DLine and set the expectations if he comes in.

If Schoebel comes in, he should be the full-time starter at RDE. He's a better player than Smith, so no sense in keeping him on the bench. But Smith is still our 3rd best defensive lineman, so what to do with him? Shift him to DT? Will he be happy with a full-time shift to DT? And if so, he's taking Okoye's spot. Okoye worked hard in the offseason to prove his worth, so he won't be happy. Cody is the weak link on that d-line, but there's no way Smith or Okoye can play the two-tech. Where does that also leave Barwin? Will he be happy with only giving people a breather here and there, and no longer the 3rd down pass rusher?

I know alot of you will think "these guys have to be professionals and accept their roles". Unfortunately, most athletes have egos and don't like their spot being taken. You probably wouldn't like it either if management brought someone in to take your spot at work. The chemistry on the d-line is something I hope they're considering.

In my dream situation, Schoebel will play for Houston accepting a pay-cut. The current starters on the d-line will stay put and Schoebel will take Barwin's role as the 3rd down pass rusher. And I hope Barwin will agree to take a back seat and learn from two great pass rushers for the next couple of seasons.

NitroGSXR
08-14-2010, 09:03 AM
I may be the only person on this forum who won't lose any sleep if this deal doesn't go through. Sure I'd love to have Schoebel, but I hope McNair doesn't over pay the guy. I also hope they consult the rest of the DLine and set the expectations if he comes in.

If Schoebel comes in, he should be the full-time starter at RDE. He's a better player than Smith, so no sense in keeping him on the bench. But Smith is still our 3rd best defensive lineman, so what to do with him? Shift him to DT? Will he be happy with a full-time shift to DT? And if so, he's taking Okoye's spot. Okoye worked hard in the offseason to prove his worth, so he won't be happy. Cody is the weak link on that d-line, but there's no way Smith or Okoye can play the two-tech. Where does that also leave Barwin? Will he be happy with only giving people a breather here and there, and no longer the 3rd down pass rusher?

I know alot of you will think "these guys have to be professionals and accept their roles". Unfortunately, most athletes have egos and don't like their spot being taken. You probably wouldn't like it either if management brought someone in to take your spot at work. The chemistry on the d-line is something I hope they're considering.

In my dream situation, Schoebel will play for Houston accepting a pay-cut. The current starters on the d-line will stay put and Schoebel will take Barwin's role as the 3rd down pass rusher. And I hope Barwin will agree to take a back seat and learn from two great pass rushers for the next couple of seasons.
With a one-year contract in an uncapped year, what do you care if we pay him 100 million. It's a genuine question.

It seems like you're asking the Texans to pacify Connor Barwin's ego by limiting Schoebel's earning power. I find that logic somewhat difficult to swallow.

dream_team
08-14-2010, 09:39 AM
With a one-year contract in an uncapped year, what do you care if we pay him 100 million. It's a genuine question.

It seems like you're asking the Texans to pacify Connor Barwin's ego by limiting Schoebel's earning power. I find that logic somewhat difficult to swallow.

I know you're just exaggerating, but 100 mil wouldn't benefit anyone but Aaron Schoebel. Mario would instantly hold out, as well as others I'm sure. Then McNair would have to raise ticket prices to help pay that contract. So yes, I would care.

Now I hope I wasn't misunderstood, but I do hope Schoebel signs. I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of team chemistry.

steelbtexan
08-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I know you're just exaggerating, but 100 mil wouldn't benefit anyone but Aaron Schoebel. Mario would instantly hold out, as well as others I'm sure. Then McNair would have to raise ticket prices to help pay that contract. So yes, I would care.

Now I hope I wasn't misunderstood, but I do hope Schoebel signs. I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of team chemistry.

Screw MW if he hols out.

Team chemistry? Is this the same team chemisty that has failed to make the playoffs for the last 9 yrs?

Adding talent is the main thing. Dont really care who gets their feelings hurt if Schobel signs an above average deal.

I dont understand why people are concerned about saving uncle BoB's $$$$.

ObsiWan
08-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Screw MW if he hols out.

Team chemistry? Is this the same team chemisty that has failed to make the playoffs for the last 9 yrs?

Adding talent is the main thing. Dont really care who gets their feelings hurt if Schobel signs an above average deal.

I dont understand why people are concerned about saving uncle BoB's $$$$.

In my mind, it's not about "saving uncle BoB's $$$$"; it's about not being stupid. I'm STILL not convinced Schobel has much left in the tank. Until proven otherwise I see a defensive version of Ahman Green. Do you really want to overpay for that??

NitroGSXR
08-14-2010, 01:27 PM
In my mind, it's not about "saving uncle BoB's $$$$"; it's about not being stupid. I'm STILL not convinced Schobel has much left in the tank. Until proven otherwise I see a defensive version of Ahman Green. Do you really want to overpay for that??

I'd like to at least try. We need more production from our defensive line. I mean 10 sacks is plenty more than what we have been getting out of everybody else not named Mario COMBINED! Our defensive line was pathetic. There is NO reason not to think that Schoebel could match Barwin's production last year now. Even if he doesn't match it... his presence and leadership is one that I can gel with.

ObsiWan
08-14-2010, 01:45 PM
I'd like to at least try. We need more production from our defensive line. I mean 10 sacks is plenty more than what we have been getting out of everybody else not named Mario COMBINED! Our defensive line was pathetic. There is NO reason not to think that Schoebel could match Barwin's production last year now. Even if he doesn't match it... his presence and leadership is one that I can gel with.

Yeah, and the year before Ahman Green came here he was a 1000-yd rusher with over 1400 yds from scrimmage and 6 TDs. How did that work out?

Sorry, color me skeptical. I'd rather invest that money in someone with upside, not a 32-yr old passing down specialist.

Didn't we try that "sign a former pass-rushing DE/LB stud" strategy before with that guy from the Patriots? Again, how did that work out?

Hey, if we sign him and he proves me wrong, no one would be happier. In fact, I'll put his mug up as my avatar. :)

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2010, 01:51 PM
In fact, I'll put his mug up as my avatar. :)

Dude.

You cannot change your avatar.

NitroGSXR
08-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Yeah, and the year before Ahman Green came here he was a 1000-yd rusher with over 1400 yds from scrimmage and 6 TDs. How did that work out?

Sorry, color me skeptical. I'd rather invest that money in someone with upside, not a 32-yr old passing down specialist.

Didn't we try that "sign a former pass-rushing DE/LB stud" strategy before with that guy from the Patriots? Again, how did that work out?

Hey, if we sign him and he proves me wrong, no one would be happier. In fact, I'll put his mug up as my avatar. :)

So you must be one of those guys who falls off his bike and doesn't try to ride again.

ObsiWan
08-14-2010, 01:55 PM
So you must be one of those guys who falls off his bike and doesn't try to ride again.

First I have to figure out if it was me or if I bought an old used up bike that made me fall. Maybe a better strategy is not to waste money on an old bike.
:)

CloakNNNdagger
08-14-2010, 01:57 PM

The Bills did not have a notable supportive DL to Schobel, nor a DL that would allow them and him "rest rotation." He was essentially a permanent fixture when the D came out..........and he still put up commendable performance. The fact that with the Texans he would have a heck of a supporting cast and more opportunity to play "fresh," would make me take the side that he certainly should have at least one good year's worth left in the tank

ChampionTexan
08-14-2010, 02:04 PM

So if it's not about the money, what was so bad about the Ahman Green signing (and more to the point, what about the Ahman Green signing are you concerned could be repeated with Schobel?)

And yeah, we looked for a pass rusher with Roosevelt Colvin, and while it didn't turn out like everyone hoped, do you think the signing ended up hurting the Texans?

NitroGSXR
08-14-2010, 02:05 PM
First I have to figure out if it was me or if I bought an old used up bike that made me fall. Maybe a better strategy is not to waste money on an old bike.
:)

:snowday:

Must spread...

ObsiWan
08-14-2010, 02:07 PM
:snowday:

Must spread...

You know, I've been wondering when to use that smiley...
:D

Cjeremy635
08-14-2010, 02:13 PM

I agree with you Nitro and I think the guy could definitely contribute to this squad in more way than one. My only concern, if you will, is how much is a decent dollar amount to place on the guy without over paying for him. My biggest issue would be reaching and over paying. I think that would hurt us down the road with contract negotiations with our own players when the time comes....and it will. I'd hate to hear, "you threw stupid money at that guy and now I want more than that because I'm a solid contributor and have been for a while." If we can get around that issue, I'd love to have the guy here. I think that even if we were close with the money that he would chose to play here because of how close his family would be. He had made mention about not wanting to have to move his girls around with school and all. As a parent, I get that and I know you do too.
I just wonder what bringing in another player, like Aaron, and paying him more than what he is worth does to the psyche of the other players. I know that technically it isn't their business what anyone else makes, but we all know that isn't how it works. Everyone wants to be the highest paid player at their position on the team.

ObsiWan
08-14-2010, 02:16 PM
So if it's not about the money, what was so bad about the Ahman Green signing (and more to the point, what about the Ahman Green signing are you concerned could be repeated with Schobel?)

And yeah, we looked for a pass rusher with Roosevelt Colvin, and while it didn't turn out like everyone hoped, do you think the signing ended up hurting the Texans?

First, thanks because I couldn't remember Colvin's name for squat.

Second, we didn't have the talent back then that we do now. We're having to decide whether or not to keep or cut guys that in back in 2006-2008 we would have all drooled over.

To state my position more clearly, I'm not against giving Schobel a shot. I just don't think he's worth $8 million. If we can get him for half that, bring him in. For the record, we signed Colvin for ONE million and only half of that was guaranteed. So if Schobel come here for that kind of money - or a bit more - then it's a logical gamble. Eight million - for one season and for someone who was about to retire - is just nuts. That's Daniel Synder thinking.

ObsiWan
08-14-2010, 02:19 PM
I agree with you Nitro and I think the guy could definitely contribute to this squad in more way than one. My only concern, if you will, is how much is a decent dollar amount to place on the guy without over paying for him. My biggest issue would be reaching and over paying. I think that would hurt us down the road with contract negotiations with our own players when the time comes....and it will. I'd hate to hear, "you threw stupid money at that guy and now I want more than that because I'm a solid contributor and have been for a while." If we can get around that issue, I'd love to have the guy here. I think that even if we were close with the money that he would chose to play here because of how close his family would be. He had made mention about not wanting to have to move his girls around with school and all. As a parent, I get that and I know you do too.
I just wonder what bringing in another player, like Aaron, and paying him more than what he is worth does to the psyche of the other players. I know that technically it isn't their business what anyone else makes, but we all know that isn't how it works. Everyone wants to be the highest paid player at their position on the team.

"...must spread rep..."

This is my primary objection to signing Schobel. And maybe "objection" is the wrong word. Maybe "caution" is more applicable. Maybe we offer him 4 mill with incentives that can get him up to 8...

Rey
08-14-2010, 02:22 PM
I think that the Texans have the upper hand in this situation.

If Schobel signs elsewhere I will not be upset...I would like to get him here, but if he is asking for too much then I'd just let him move a long.

He's an upgrade but I don't think he is a player that is going to make or break our season.

steelbtexan
08-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Yeah, because the Green signing didn't work out Smithiak should never sign a vet FA again.

Schobel was a very productive DE last year and didn't get injured. What is it that makes you think Schobel is done? 10 sacks seems to indicate Schobel has alot left.

10 sacks, that would be more sacks in a season than anybody not named MW.

Oh well you're right the Texans couldn't use a guy like Schobel. LOL

ObsiWan
08-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah, because the Green signing didn't work out Smithiak should never sign a vet FA again.

Schobel was a very productive DE last year and didn't get injured. What is it that makes you think Schobel is done? 10 sacks seems to indicate Schobel has alot left.

10 sacks, that would be more sacks in a season than anybody not named MW.

Oh well you're right the Texans couldn't use a guy like Schobel. LOL

Again, I didn't say DON'T sign him. I say don't OVERPAY to sign him.

NitroGSXR
08-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Again, I didn't say DON'T sign him. I say don't OVERPAY to sign him.

Even a one year contract in an uncapped year? C'mon now...

ChampionTexan
08-14-2010, 02:28 PM
In my mind, it's not about "saving uncle BoB's $$$$"; it's about not being stupid.

To state my position more clearly, I'm not against giving Schobel a shot. I just don't think he's worth $8 million. If we can get him for half that, bring him in.

See, I find the above two statement contradictory. Yeah, the Texans should get him as reasonably as they can, but if there's a shot he can bolster your pass rush in a meaningful way, and there's no future cap ramifications, I'm willing to take a chance on looking stupid - it wouldn't be the first time, nor the last (for either the Texans, or me personally).

And for the record, I could argue that Ahman Green still had plenty in the tank, he just couldn't stay healthy. Schobel's had a much better injury history than Green did.