PDA

View Full Version : Eric Winston interview

Texans_Chick
07-29-2010, 09:35 AM
This might be my favorite blog post of the off-season:

The Eric Winston interview: Answering all the Texans' questions... (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/07/the_eric_winston_interview_ans.html)

Tried to ask some things I hadn't seen elsewhere and some things that people are interested in The discussion of offensive linemen tipping run/pass I thought was particularly interesting.

Enjoy. :texflag:

JB
07-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Great read Steph. Thanks!

gtexan02
07-29-2010, 10:23 AM
My high school football coach always said running the ball is like "pounding concrete". Basically meaning that, you can hit the concrete ten times and it might not budge but on the eleventh, you might crack it. After a few more swings, you will break through. Coach Dennison seems to have that mentality about him

I guess we now know why Kubiak runs the ball 25+ times even if he's only getting 2 yards a pop

HOU-TEX
07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Great interview! Definitely more informative than what we normally get from players in the off-season. Thanks

Texan_Bill
07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Steph, have I mentioned that you are the best, ever?? Awesome!!!

badboy
07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
1. Concrete analogy has to look at what one is hitting the concrete with...this season we have some tools.
2."tipping" the defense is not whether OL is in up or down stance, but small "tells" like foot placement or leaning forward or back.
3. Slow start? After TC and 4 pre-season games I doubt it is where team practices. I think it is up to the vets like Winston to make sure younger guys are focused and the other vets are stepping up to be game ready.
4. Swagger means going full throttle 4 quarters even if you are ahead in score.

76Texan
07-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks TC!

What do you think of Grove's claim, and how do offensive line players guard against tipping off what the play is going to be?

Eric: I think if you studied every player in the league, offense or defense, you would find tips. That's what film study is all about. Obviously, you never want that to happen but I think its one of those things that does happens. (I also think if you completely believe him than you are crazy. If he knew every play, they would have stopped a little more.)

It was just Groves shooting his mouth off.
I went back and checked all the plays.
Both Winston and Brown varried their stances in both running and passing plays.
Everything was very random, from setting up closer or further from the line to their foot stance.

Groves was full of B.S.!