PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Graham is in!

texanfan2002114
07-27-2010, 09:17 PM
McClain_on_NFL Texans just agreed with tight end Garrett Graham, their fourth round pick.

Kaiser Toro
07-27-2010, 09:28 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/100727-texans-reach-deal-with-te-graham

Houston - NFL sources told FOX 26 Sports the Houston Texans have reached a contract agreement with rookie tight end Garrett Graham.

Graham was the team's fourth-round pick from Wisconsin in the 2010 NFL Draft.

JB
07-27-2010, 09:42 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/100727-texans-reach-deal-with-te-graham

From your link...

He gets a 4-year contract worth $2,590,100. His signing bonus is $800,100.

I think that is a bit more than his slotted position. I think the 4th year was a sticking point, and they got it resolved with a bit more signing bonus and total money.

drs23
07-27-2010, 10:04 PM
From your link...

I think that is a bit more than his slotted position. I think the 4th year was a sticking point, and they got it resolved with a bit more signing bonus and total money.

JB, I've read where Doc, as well, referenced a 3yr gig possibly being a sticking point as well but don't remember seeing it in print. Was it?

jaayteetx
07-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Championship!

JB
07-27-2010, 10:09 PM
JB, I've read where Doc, as well, referenced a 3yr gig possibly being a sticking point as well but don't remember seeing it in print. Was it?

Yeah, the TE that was picked 4 or 5 spots in front of him signed a 3 year deal. And the shorter term is much more beneficial to the player.

ArlingtonTexan
07-27-2010, 10:09 PM

It was board speculation.

valleytexfan
07-27-2010, 10:34 PM
I like.

barrett
07-28-2010, 03:33 AM
1 RB, 1 CB and 6 more TE's to go before Friday!

dc_txtech
07-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Yeah, the TE that was picked 4 or 5 spots in front of him signed a 3 year deal. And the shorter term is much more beneficial to the player.

If they play well and stay healthy. Otherwise it's probably better to get that money up front in a 4 year deal.

TheRealJoker
07-28-2010, 11:16 AM
There's a lot of competition at TE this year. I hope James Casey finds a way to stick on this team. He's too talented a player to let go, but if we go by pure TEs he's got an uphill battle with OD, Dreesen, Graham, and Hill.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2010, 01:40 PM
There's a lot of competition at TE this year. I hope James Casey finds a way to stick on this team. He's too talented a player to let go, but if we go by pure TEs he's got an uphill battle with OD, Dreesen, Graham, and Hill.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hill's PUP or IR.

Casey's got the benefit of also being a backup FB and LS. He needs to show some TE pass catching skills but I wouldn't be surprised to have 4 TE's stick.

Dutchrudder
07-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Great news! We need more TE depth!

beerlover
07-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Every single TE went down one time or other with an injury during last season so they where basicly forced to draft another TE because value added to offense.

Garrett Graham provides solid depth, but its going to be hard to keep him off the field especially as the others continue to battle injury problems. In fact its very possible he rotates in first off the bench, to give Owen his breather. Also think they really liked him & wanted that 4th year he could become a fixture of this offense, great value while addressing depth from another excellent 4th rd. selection.

El Tejano
07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I think Hill is done.

Goldensilence
07-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I think Hill is done.

Makes two of us unless he can find his way on the field this year and stay there.

Speaking of healthy TEs....what's the status of OD? I have him on my FF team this year as a starter.

beerlover
07-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Makes two of us unless he can find his way on the field this year and stay there.

Speaking of healthy TEs....what's the status of OD? I have him on my FF team this year as a starter.

you guys could be right but I'm more worried about Casey with this signing. Hill can still support strong side, run blocking/pass protecting if he can get healthy.

ChampionTexan
07-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Hill's PUP or IR.

Casey's got the benefit of also being a backup FB and LS. He needs to show some TE pass catching skills but I wouldn't be surprised to have 4 TE's stick.

Agreed - I think Hill goes on the PUP, and if he's healthy enough after 6 weeks, they deal with it then, of if he's not healthy enough, he gets IR'd.

Given the fact O.D., Hill, and Dreesen are all coming off of surgery, I would imagine they'll keep all five around in some form or fashion for as long as they can.

V3rm0nt3r
07-28-2010, 03:35 PM
you guys could be right but I'm more worried about Casey with this signing. Hill can still support strong side, run blocking/pass protecting if he can get healthy.

If the coaches were worried about that I'd assume they'd start using a smaller backup o-lineman in a blocking roll as some other teams started doing last year (The Jets used a backup guard in this way and their running game was one of envy)

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2010, 03:36 PM
If the coaches were worried about that I'd assume they'd start using a smaller backup o-lineman in a blocking roll as some other teams started doing last year (The Jets used a backup guard in this way and their running game was one of envy)

I think we brought in Rashad Butler like that a few times last season.

No More 8-8's
07-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Is Hill really that good? I have not been impressed, even with the limited times he's been on the field.

Goldensilence
07-28-2010, 06:16 PM

I'm concerned as well if Casey can stick around as a TE if Hill gets healthy. I'm just not sure at this point if Hill will be long enough to stick himself. I was nervous when they drafted Casey because he has no true position, though i liked his versatility.

Agreed - I think Hill goes on the PUP, and if he's healthy enough after 6 weeks, they deal with it then, of if he's not healthy enough, he gets IR'd.

Given the fact O.D., Hill, and Dreesen are all coming off of surgery, I would imagine they'll keep all five around in some form or fashion for as long as they can.

Yes to the last part.

Every single TE went down one time or other with an injury during last season so they where basicly forced to draft another TE because value added to offense.

Garrett Graham provides solid depth, but its going to be hard to keep him off the field especially as the others continue to battle injury problems. In fact its very possible he rotates in first off the bench, to give Owen his breather. Also think they really liked him & wanted that 4th year he could become a fixture of this offense, great value while addressing depth from another excellent 4th rd. selection.

If they're right and he does prove to be OD 2.0 he will be hard to keep off the field. Was puzzled by the selection at first but after seeing the injuries stack up at TE, it looks like not only a smart short term selection but he could prove to be a real solid #2.

Wolf6151
07-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Yea, our or 7th string TE has signed that should really help the team and put us over the top. Super Bowl here we come.

TheRealJoker
07-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Is Hill really that good? I have not been impressed, even with the limited times he's been on the field.

He was generally thought to be the best blocking TE in his draft class last season.

2slik4u
07-28-2010, 08:18 PM
one down........:kitten:

bah007
07-29-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm concerned as well if Casey can stick around as a TE if Hill gets healthy. I'm just not sure at this point if Hill will be long enough to stick himself. I was nervous when they drafted Casey because he has no true position, though i liked his versatility.

Yes to the last part.

If they're right and he does prove to be OD 2.0 he will be hard to keep off the field. Was puzzled by the selection at first but after seeing the injuries stack up at TE, it looks like not only a smart short term selection but he could prove to be a real solid #2.

I really think Graham is a Jason Witten clone. He isn't as big but he has the same skills. I think he is the #2 this year and if we ever lose OD then he will be the guy to step in.

I'm still ecstatic that we managed to draft him.

HOU-TEX
07-29-2010, 10:39 AM
I really think Graham is a Jason Witten clone. He isn't as big but he has the same skills. I think he is the #2 this year and if we ever lose OD then he will be the guy to step in.

I'm still ecstatic that we managed to draft him.

Supposedly, his blocking is a bit more established than what OD had as a rookie. We all know the emphasis Kubiak puts on protecting the passer. A recieving TE that can block will definitely see the field early. That is, if he has the offense down pat.

76Texan
07-29-2010, 12:15 PM
I wasn't thrilled when we drafted Hill.
His receiving skills and route running need polish.
(In college, he was kept back for blocking most of the time when they go to a 2-TE set.)
His blocking is a hit-and-miss due to lack of foot-speed.
If he can get a body on a defender, he's good.
But he would miss his connection quite often.

Graham was kept back to block most of the times for Wisconsin when they go to a 2-TE set as well (since he was the better blocker), and yet his numbers are way up there. There were games (like vs. the Buckeyes), the O-line was big but slow, they couldn't keep the heat off the QB; they had to keep Graham back to block until they trailed by too much. But as soon as they try to release Graham, the D would be all over the QB.
Graham also did fine against Brandon Graham, the DE from Michigan whom the Eagles drafted at #13.

No, Graham is not the type of blocker that can sustain the block for long.
But generally, he will do enough to spring the play.

As a receiver, his numbers are much better than O.D. (during their respective college career) despite the fact that Graham was also the main blocking TE. He also did not have continuity at QB; and as I've said, the O-line was not very good in pass blocking against better defenses (pass rush).

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I wasn't thrilled when we drafted Hill.
His receiving skills and route running need polish.
(In college, he was kept back for blocking most of the time when they go to a 2-TE set.)
His blocking is a hit-and-miss due to lack of foot-speed.
If he can get a body on a defender, he's good.
But he would miss his connection quite often.

Graham was kept back to block most of the times for Wisconsin when they go to a 2-TE set as well (since he was the better blocker), and yet his numbers are way up there. There were games (like vs. the Buckeyes), the O-line was big but slow, they couldn't keep the heat off the QB; they had to keep Graham back to block until they trailed by too much. But as soon as they try to release Graham, the D would be all over the QB.
Graham also did fine against Brandon Graham, the DE from Michigan whom the Eagles drafted at #13.

No, Graham is not the type of blocker that can sustain the block for long.
But generally, he will do enough to spring the play.

As a receiver, his numbers are much better than O.D. (during their respective college career) despite the fact that Graham was also the main blocking TE. He also did not have continuity at QB; and as I've said, the O-line was not very good in pass blocking against better defenses (pass rush).

So, what you're saying is that with a little bit of experience GG could be better than OD? Is that what you're saying?

That would be all kinds of awesome.

76Texan
07-29-2010, 10:33 PM
So, what you're saying is that with a little bit of experience GG could be better than OD? Is that what you're saying?

That would be all kinds of awesome.

Kubiak on Garrett Graham: "I don't want to call him the next O.D. yet, but he's been very very good in these OTAs."

That ought to give us a pretty good idea how Kubiak likes him.
Kubiak said he might have to play real soon (probably due to the injury situation, and who knows, it could be leverage aiming at O.D. and Kubiak's way to push the other TEs).
But Kubiak also said that Graham still has a way to go.

The one thing Graham will need to learn is the ZBS, which the Badgers do not run, which means cut blocking.
In the 8 games I reviewed of him, I only saw him cut block 3 times and only from the HB position, never from the TE position.
He's agile and has quick feet, but he will need a lot of reps.
He will also need to learn to run block in the zone scheme.
He's a smart blocker who knows how to work with the guy next to him, whether in run block or in pass pro; I believe he will figure it out sooner rather than later.

He's already a very good blocker on the second level.
His connection ratio is really good downfield.
There was even one play in which he neutralized both the safety and the CB to allow the RB springing free for a TD.

The Badgers use the TE a lot, so Graham was in there 85-90% of the time.
He's a smart and natural receiver.

He knows how to exploit the seam, especially with a good receiver running routes ahead.
(The Badgers has one in Nick Toon, son of Al Toon.)
(Think AJ).

How many TE has a double move? Well, he does.

And Graham is very smooth in catching then running with the ball.
I've seen him run a lot of slant and quick out routes, catch the ball, and turn upfield in one swift motion.
The ball can be low and behind below the waist, or it can be high and over the shoulder pad. No problem!

Why I said I don't think the Texans would skip a beat without Dreessen.
With the receivers we have, Graham will fit into the passing game like a T, soon as he gets in sync with Schaub.

nero THE zero
08-27-2010, 09:19 AM
I know it's been relatively quiet about Graham thus far, but here's an encouraging analysis I stumbled upon:
Why Graham is Under the Radar: This draft class has several tight end prospects who overshadow Graham with their physical promise. Wisconsin teammates Travis Beckum and Lance Kendricks often got more press, because Graham lacks the eye-popping measurements or workout numbers that generate great interest.

Why He Has Promise: Versatility. Like several prospects in this class, Graham is a good receiver with decent yards-after-the-catch skills, but what N.F.L. teams will value more than the media is how he was used as a run blocker at Wisconsin. Graham was an effective lead blocker as a fullback, H-Back, slot receiver and an in-line tight end. He has the initial quickness and understanding of angles to get to his assignment in open space, but he also possesses the technique and tenacity to fire off the line and drive outside linebackers and defensive ends away from the play. Of all the tight ends I watched, he consistently played the most intelligent, physical brand of football, maintaining an intensity that frustrates opponents if they donít match his effort to the whistle.

Bottom Line: N.F.L. teams, draft analysts and football reporters are suckers for tight ends with great physical dimensions and athleticism. It stems from the belief that they can teach these prospects to become good football players, and every year teams are proven wrong. But they fail to learn. A great example is the 2006 class headlined by Vernon Davis, Marcedes Lewis, Joe Klopfenstein, Anthony Fasano, Tony Scheffler and Leonard Pope. The best tight end in this class might still be Davis, but the tight end with the best career thus far has been Wisconsinís Owen Daniels, who was the ninth tight end selected in that draft at the top of the fourth round. Like Daniels, Graham is a very similar player lost among the hype of better athletes who, chances are, arenít likely to become as good as Graham already is. I will not be at all surprised when Graham develops into a solid starter and when half of the prospects rated above him donít pan out.

dalemurphy
08-27-2010, 09:25 AM
I know it's been relatively quiet about Graham thus far, but here's an encouraging analysis I stumbled upon:

Excellent article. By the way, I think he's looked very good as a blocker during the preseason. He has been isolated on DEs a number of times and been very successful.

(you need to post a link to the story, though)

infantrycak
08-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Please provide a link to any material which may be copyrighted or we will have to take it down. Thanks.

Section516
08-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Found the link for him - http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/a-few-draft-sleepers-who-could-jolt-the-n-f-l/

dtran04
08-27-2010, 10:21 AM
So Graham was drafted before OD's stress fracture? Seems pretty shrewd either way if your TE's career was nearly over.