PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Glenn to retire as a Texan

Schaub2Dre
07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
According to:

ChronicleTexans: Aaron Glenn will sign a one-day contract and retire as a Texan, the team announced Tuesday. #texans #hounews

and

NickScurfield: Longtime NFL CB Aaron Glenn will sign a 1-day contract w/ the Texans to retire with his hometown team, Glenn, Texans owner Bob McNair and GM Rick Smith will meet with the media Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. CT.

First Texan to do something like this! Yay!:texflag:

JB
07-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Fantastic!

Speedy
07-27-2010, 08:33 PM
I don't get the point but good for him...I guess.

Kaiser Toro
07-27-2010, 08:40 PM
A player announcing they are retiring as a Texan. I have no idea why, but that brought a smile to my face.

The franchise we support is all grownzd up. :texflag:

b0ng
07-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Remember when him and DR were considered a decent cb tandem? :(

JB
07-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Remember when him and DR were considered a decent cb tandem? :(

for one year, they were a decent CB tandem

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 08:46 PM
A player announcing they are retiring as a Texan. I have no idea why, but that brought a smile to my face.

Unbelievable. I just watched that movie the other night.

Anywho, good! Aaron played well while playing here at home. He had an overall good career. He really helped on D in those early years when the D actually kept the Texans in games and sometimes helped win games where the offense could only muster, like what? 47 total yards or something disgusting like that.

Hooston Texan
07-27-2010, 08:51 PM

Same here. Doesn't make the playoffs any more likely but I'm happy with this news for our team. Glenn is a well-respected figure among NFL players. He spent time with some "glamour" teams, but he felt good enough about the Texans to do this with them. Cool.

gary
07-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Isn't he the first one to retire a Texan?

HouSportsWriter
07-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Unbelievable. I just watched that movie the other night.

Anywho, good! Aaron played well while playing here at home. He had an overall good career. He really helped on D in those early years when the D actually kept the Texans in games and sometimes helped win games where the offense could only muster, like what? 47 total yards or something disgusting like that.

dang i forgot about that ,,, anyways is he the first texan to retire as a texan?

Hagar
07-27-2010, 09:15 PM
I always thought letting him and Sharper go was a big mistake. So much leadership out the door.

I wish him the best in his retirement. It'd be interesting if he decided to do some coaching.

TheIronDuke
07-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Don't know why but OK.

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 09:20 PM
dang i forgot about that ,,, anyways is he the first texan to retire as a texan?

Ummmmm, Did Chad Stanley ever play again??. What about Jimmy Herndon?? I think technically, wasn't James Allen the first Texan player to retire? Did Benny Joppru ever go anywhere else?

Yankee_In_TX
07-27-2010, 09:21 PM

My thoughts exactly.

texanfan2002114
07-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I always thought letting him and Sharper go was a big mistake. So much leadership out the door.

I wish him the best in his retirement. It'd be interesting if he decided to do some coaching.

The Texans knew Sharper had a bad knee and thats why they didn't resign him. As much as I didn't personally like that the didn't resign him they made the right move after seeing Sharper blow out his knee the next season in Seattle.

As far as letting Glenn go. We all wanted him gone. WR's were RUNNING past him with ease and he didn't want to play nickle on this team and at that time in his career he was only a nickle CB.

GP
07-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Neat. What a surprise.

I always liked him when he was on our team, and it feels good that he chooses to retire as a Texan.

Ryan
07-27-2010, 09:30 PM
This made me happy.

I don't know why he chose us but it's a cool story.

Goldensilence
07-27-2010, 09:33 PM

Always thought it was a big mistake as well to let both go without a backup plan for replacing what both brought to the table.

TexanSam
07-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Ummmmm, Did Chad Stanley ever play again??. What about Jimmy Herndon?? I think technically, wasn't James Allen the first Texan player to retire? Did Benny Joppru ever go anywhere else?

Just thinking of the running backs that have come and gone as Texans is crazy. Allen, Tony Hollings, Stacey Mack, Darius Walker, Chris Taylor, Wali Lundy, Ron Dayne, Jonathan Wells, Domanick Davis...I'm probably missing a few.

Lucky
07-27-2010, 10:10 PM
I think technically, wasn't James Allen the first Texan player to retire? Did Benny Joppru ever go anywhere else?
Right, Allen retired to become a rapper. I can't remember his stage name. I want to say it was something like Merciless, but that might have been Morlon Greenwood.

Joppru played in only one game as a Texan, in 2006. He played in 18 games as a Seattle Seahawk in 2006 and 2007.

valleytexfan
07-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Dare I say it...was Boselli the first to "retire?":headhurts:

JB
07-27-2010, 10:36 PM

Nah, didn't he like hang on on IR for like 6 years?

DexmanC
07-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Just thinking of the running backs that have come and gone as Texans is crazy. Allen, Tony Hollings, Stacey Mack, Darius Walker, Chris Taylor, Wali Lundy, Ron Dayne, Jonathan Wells, Domanick Davis...I'm probably missing a few.

Who could forget Edimchinobe Echimandu and Samkon Gado?

JB
07-27-2010, 10:38 PM

Damn, most anyone I would think.

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM

I think Tony Hollings, and Ahman Green wound up playing for Green Bay (in Green's case - again). Other than that, I think you're pretty much spot on.

Craig.
07-27-2010, 10:50 PM
HAHAHA that's lame. I won't be patronizing any of his greasy chicken stands, either.

Cjeremy635
07-27-2010, 11:06 PM
HAHAHA that's lame. I won't be patronizing any of his greasy chicken stands, either.

Well, don't hold anything back here.....

I always liked him and reading that he was going to retire as a Texan put a smile on my face. I think we should have kept him for one more year, for the veteran leadership alone. We got REALLY young the year we cut Aaron. IIRC, we cut quite a few other vets that year and we took a huge step backwards.

StarStruck
07-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Great! I can now put my jersey back in rotation.

Lucky
07-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Great! I can now put my jersey back in rotation.
I have plenty of Texan throwback jerseys. Boselli, Babin (yes that's me in the Babin Battle Red), and now Robinson. I gave my Carr to my least favorite nephew.

Hagar
07-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Dare I say it...was Boselli the first to "retire?":headhurts:Nope. One day contract with the Jags.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I believe still the best and classiest CB we've fielded to date........something we're still looking for and hoping we've found in this year's draft.

JB
07-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I believe still the best and classiest CB we've fielded to date........something we're still looking for and hoping we've found in this year's draft.

If Jackson can approach Glenn's level, I will be one happy camper!

J_R
07-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Mark Bruener last year. Still not sure he was the first though.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Did Benny Joppru ever go anywhere else?

Didn't Joppru go to Seattle and get injured in training camp?

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2010, 12:00 AM

Gado's still in the league. At least, he played last season with the Rams.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2010, 12:00 AM
It makes me happy that he'd want to retire with us rather than the Jets or the Cowboys. He's always been one of my faves.

GuerillaBlack
07-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Maybe he can help assist our young CBs as a coach? Doubt it, but it'd be cool. Glad he's retiring a Texan.

StarStruck
07-28-2010, 12:53 AM
It makes me happy that he'd want to retire with us rather than the Jets or the Cowboys. He's always been one of my faves.

I don't think the Cowboys would have been a consideration given he only played there a year or was it two. Houston seems logical since this is his home town.

El Tejano
07-28-2010, 01:10 AM
The purpose of this was because our organization had more jobs to offer him as a retired Texan than the Jets, Cowboys and Saints did. This was purely a PR move for him. He's now got a chance to be a "Texan Ambassador", and let's face it, how much longer do you want Spencer Tillman and Craig James calling our preseason games? If NYJ would've offered something like that he'd be out there getting his pen ready to sign with them.

Malloy
07-28-2010, 02:47 AM
I have plenty of Texan throwback jerseys. Boselli, Babin (yes that's me in the Babin Battle Red), and now Robinson. I gave my Carr to my least favorite nephew.

Awww... Tough love indeed! :)

beerlover
07-28-2010, 02:55 AM

:goodpost:

Seņor Stan
07-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Charles Hill retired a Texan. Couldn't make the roster on an expansion team. Nice 3rd round pick Casserly.

aj.
07-28-2010, 07:49 AM
a lot of players have 'retired as Texans.' (every one that's been cut/released/waived or retired that didn't go on to play for another team).

Glenn's career record will always show New Orleans as the last NFL team he played for regardless of this purely symbolic gesture.

This reminds me of the often misunderstoon notion about players 'going into the Hall of Fame as a Raider, Cowboy, Steeler, Packer or whatever. You don't go in the Pro Football Hall of Fame with a single team declaration. The HOF recognizes the player and his career, not team choice or uniform.

IDEXAN
07-28-2010, 08:07 AM
The HOF recognizes the player and his career, not team choice or uniform.
But if you visit Canton where the HOF is, don't they have each HOF members associated with just one team in the team exhibit area rather than multiple teams even if the members career included time with multiple teams ?

aj.
07-28-2010, 08:19 AM
But if you visit Canton where the HOF is, don't they have each HOF members associated with just one team in the team exhibit area rather than multiple teams even if the members career included time with multiple teams ?

No. The bust hall has the bust of the player with a placard below listing all the teams the player played for.

There's another hall with team displays and one that caused a stir a few years ago is the picture of Earl in Houston Oilers uniform at the Titans display.

If you go to the HOF website, you'll see players listed under multiple teams, e.g., Joe Montana is listed under the 49ers and Chiefs, and Warren Moon is listed under the Titans, Vikings and Chiefs as Brett Favre will be listed under the Packers and Vikings.

Thorn
07-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I'd rather Pitts be the first to retire as a Texan.

FirstTexansFan
07-28-2010, 09:04 AM

I didn't read the entire thread, and someone may have already stated this... but Boselli did a similar deal with Jacksonville... signed and retired as Jaguar.

nevermind: Haggar caught it :)

IDEXAN
07-28-2010, 09:11 AM
No. The bust hall has the bust of the player with a placard below listing all the teams the player played for.

There's another hall with team displays and one that caused a stir a few years ago is the picture of Earl in Houston Oilers uniform at the Titans display.

I remember the "bust hall" with each players resume of teams listed with his bust. But what I'm talking about is the team exhibit.
For example Jerry Rice, who of course had a career with more than one NFL team but is remembered primarily as playing for the 49ers, will probably be part of the San Fran team exhibit at the Hall after he's inducted into the Hall this year. But would we expect to see Rice in the Seahawk team exhitit where he also played ?

NitroGSXR
07-28-2010, 11:12 AM
What about the great Boselli? Where does it stand on that matter? Yeah... it.

TEXANS84
07-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Just got the email presser about Aaron Glenns press conference from ht.com.

Seriously, could they not have found a more blurry picture to email of Aaron? I know it was like 5 years ago, but geez. We were at least to 6.0 megapixels by then!

gtexan02
07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Just got the email presser about Aaron Glenns press conference from ht.com.

Seriously, could they not have found a more blurry picture to email of Aaron? I know it was like 5 years ago, but geez. We were at least to 6.0 megapixels by then!

lol I felt the same way. It looks like the photo was mega-enhanced too because there is an incredible amount of noise in the dark areas.

False Start
07-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I think this is cool as hell. I always loved AG. I was sad to see him go. :texflag:

No More 8-8's
07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
More like Samkon God-awful.

Dutchrudder
07-28-2010, 12:18 PM
a lot of players have 'retired as Texans.' (every one that's been cut/released/waived or retired that didn't go on to play for another team).

Glenn's career record will always show New Orleans as the last NFL team he played for regardless of this purely symbolic gesture.

This reminds me of the often misunderstoon notion about players 'going into the Hall of Fame as a Raider, Cowboy, Steeler, Packer or whatever. You don't go in the Pro Football Hall of Fame with a single team declaration. The HOF recognizes the player and his career, not team choice or uniform.

I think that has a lot to do with the MLB's HOF. There is always controversy with the MLB HOF because players don't get to choose which team are associated with. Some just don't want to be inducted with a team that is no longer in existence or regardless of how much time they played with them.

Double Barrel
07-28-2010, 12:33 PM

And now you're his least favorite uncle! ;)

The mercenary tendency of modern free agency always kept me from buying a player's jersey. I have preferred custom jerseys, simply because I'll be Double Barrel a couple of decades from now.

My sister bought me a Clemens Astros jersey when he was still untainted and pitching for us, and now look at it. I feel shamed by Astros fans whenever I have worn it. I do have a Biggio jersey that I bought on Ebay after he retired. I figured that one was safe, and Biggio is the ultimate Astro as far as I'm concerned. Plus, it was only $7!

Texan_Bill
07-28-2010, 12:55 PM
What about the great Boselli? Where does it stand on that matter? Yeah... it.

He never played a down. He doesn't count. :shades:

Texan_Bill
07-28-2010, 12:58 PM
And now you're his least favorite uncle! ;)

The mercenary tendency of modern free agency always kept me from buying a player's jersey. I have preferred custom jerseys, simply because I'll be Double Barrel a couple of decades from now.

My sister bought me a Clemens Astros jersey when he was still untainted and pitching for us, and now look at it. I feel shamed by Astros fans whenever I have worn it. I do have a Biggio jersey that I bought on Ebay after he retired. I figured that one was safe, and Biggio is the ultimate Astro as far as I'm concerned. Plus, it was only $7!

I just bit the bullet spending about eight hundy on NFL.com. I got authentic, customized jerseys: Steel Blue, Battle Red and Liberty White # 00 - Texan Bill jerseys... They can't trade me. They can IR or PUP me, damnit!!

Joe Texan
07-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Great for Aaron Glenn I will call Charlie Parillo and tell him Aaron is not the enemy any more

J_R
07-28-2010, 01:39 PM
McNair confirming he's the first retired Texan. Now a (well was before) Texan Ambassador.

disaacks3
07-28-2010, 01:40 PM
I believe still the best and classiest CB we've fielded to date........something we're still looking for and hoping we've found in this year's draft. We can only hope that Kareem Jackson fills the cover-corner need that this team has been sorely lacking for awhile.

I'm proud to have Aaron Glenn retire a Texan - I watched him play at A&M and he was my first signature at the first "draft party" in the Astrodome.

Dutchrudder
07-28-2010, 02:01 PM
I just bit the bullet spending about eight hundy on NFL.com. I got authentic, customized jerseys: Steel Blue, Battle Red and Liberty White # 00 - Texan Bill jerseys... They can't trade me. They can IR or PUP me, damnit!!

Hey, did you use a coupon code to save some cash on that order? You can use ENT16 from the 2010 Entertainment Couponbook to save %16 off your entire order. Call them up and have them add that to it if you didn't!

Texan_Bill
07-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey, did you use a coupon code to save some cash on that order? You can use ENT16 from the 2010 Entertainment Couponbook to save %16 off your entire order. Call them up and have them add that to it if you didn't!

:mcnugget: Products received, card charged... *punches self in the junk*

Dutchrudder
07-28-2010, 02:13 PM
:mcnugget: Products received, card charged... *punches self in the junk*

No worries, a lot of places will do it after the fact if you have a receipt and it is within the return policy limit. I've done this plenty of times with Amazon when I show another site having a game on sale after I just bought it from them. That is price matching, so it's not exactly the same, but it might work. Call them up, tell them you own a copy of the 2010 Entertainment Book and just found a coupon for the NFL.com shop in there. Give them that code and say you want your 16% off. It just might work and net you ~100$

texansdrummer
07-29-2010, 12:04 AM
I think that this is great. regardless of guys that may have been "forcibly retired", the fact that AG bothered to retire as a Texan speaks volumes, IMO.

Class act......and a true Texan.

aj.
07-29-2010, 07:44 AM
I remember the "bust hall" with each players resume of teams listed with his bust. But what I'm talking about is the team exhibit.
For example Jerry Rice, who of course had a career with more than one NFL team but is remembered primarily as playing for the 49ers, will probably be part of the San Fran team exhibit at the Hall after he's inducted into the Hall this year. But would we expect to see Rice in the Seahawk team exhitit where he also played ?

Of course when you think of Jerry Rice, you think of the 49ers. The fact is that NFL players don't go into the hall as 'a 49er,' (or anything else). They go in as themselves wearing a yellow jacket.

Obviously the team exhibit has to show one or more HOF players from that franchise regardless of wherever else they might have played. Earl being the best/worst example at the Titans display.

There's an obvious team affiliation when fans think of a HOF player but there's not an official single-team affiliation in terms of their induction into the Hall.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Of course when you think of Jerry Rice, you think of the 49ers. The fact is that NFL players don't go into the hall as 'a 49er,' (or anything else). They go in as themselves wearing a yellow jacket.

Obviously the team exhibit has to show one or more HOF players from that franchise regardless of wherever else they might have played. Earl being the best/worst example at the Titans display.

There's an obvious team affiliation when fans think of a HOF player but there's not an official single-team affiliation in terms of their induction into the Hall.

I think the main thing to remember is that you can get cut and then retire teamless or you can retire while you're signed to a team. There is no effective difference between the two states except in the mind of the guy retiring.

To me, it's an honor as a Texan fan not just that Aaron Glenn wanted to retire "signed" but that he wanted to retire as a Texan.

That's just an honor. It's a compliment. It doesn't change how he'll look in the hall, it doesn't change his bank account (although it might), it doesn't change anything anywhere. But it's a nice tip of the hat.