PDA

View Full Version : Raiders great Jack Tatum dies at 61

TexasBoY25
07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Notorious Raiders defensive back Jack Tatum, whose hit on Darryl Stingley during a preseason game in 1978 left Stingley a paraplegic, has died at the age of 61.

According to 10TV.com, Tatum suffered a heart attack.

Tatum suffered from diabetes for years.* He lost all five toes on his left foot, and his right leg ultimately was amputated.

The hard-nosed safety's autobiography was titled They Call Me Assassin.* For the youngsters in the crowd, YouTube will get you up to speed regarding Tatum's substance and style.* (And please wait to see Tatum's hit on Earl Campbell.)

A member of the College Football Hall of Fame, Ohio State awards during the season a "Jack Tatum Hit of the Week" award.

Loved by Raiders fans and despised by those who followed every other team, Tatum was a key part of the fabric of the game in the 1970s.* There hasn't been another Jack Tatum, and there likely never will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJrDYQwwbuY&feature=youtube_gdata

rmartin65
07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
RIP. One of my favorite safeties to watch when I can see the old games.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
I will never forget watching him locally (Love Ya Blue) during his last NFL year..........lethal to the end.

WWJD
07-27-2010, 02:55 PM
I am sure our Raider friend on here is sad. I didn't realize he had all that happen to him; the amputations and all that. Sad.

TexasBoY25
07-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Wish I vould've had the chance to watch him play in person

Giant Tiger
07-27-2010, 03:25 PM
I will never forget watching him locally (Love Ya Blue) during his last NFL year..........lethal to the end.

Didn't he score a touchdown on an interception for the Oilers on MNF? :thinking:

eriadoc
07-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Jack Tatum at #6 on that YouTube list is ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

brakos82
07-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Didn't he score a touchdown on an interception for the Oilers on MNF? :thinking:

The Pats game? I think he got down inside the 5.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2010, 04:39 PM

The Pats game? I think he got down inside the 5.

A 35 yd interception return against the Pats (no touchdown) LINK (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198011100oti.htm)

brakos82
07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
A 35 yd interception return against the Pats (no touchdown) LINK (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198011100oti.htm)

Yeah, I saw that play yesterday.

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 04:44 PM

I was trying to find a picture of him in an Oilers uni... Anywho, RIP Jack.

TexasBoY25
07-27-2010, 05:28 PM
I was trying to find a picture of him in an Oilers uni... Anywho, RIP Jack.

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/cardimages/cards/193/663/08f.jpg

JB
07-27-2010, 05:30 PM

Nice!

TexasBoY25
07-27-2010, 05:51 PM
His Rookie and only season with the Oilers he had 7 INTs, he had a INT in all 10 seasons he played. Not only a hard hitter but also a good all around football player

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Nice find. I would rep. you if I could, but I've repped. too much in the last 24 hours.

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 06:52 PM
It would be interesting to find out what Daryl Stingley's reaction might be, if he were still alive.

Spled
07-27-2010, 06:57 PM
I guess this wouldn't be legal now - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gARi1MIyPRc

b0ng
07-27-2010, 07:05 PM
It would be interesting to find out what Daryl Stingley's reaction might be, if he were still alive.

According to Stingley in his 1983 autobiography, "Happy To Be Alive," Tatum never made any effort to apologize or to see him after the incident. [1]. The two did not speak from that day until Stingley's death on April 5, 2007.[15] Tatum has never apologized for the hit.[16] "It could have happened to anybody," said Tatum. "People are always saying, 'He didn't apologize.' I don't think I did anything wrong that I need to apologize for. It was a clean hit."

link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Tatum).

Of course if you believe everything you read on the internet, he only tried to contact Stingley to promote one of his books. I'm sure Stingley wouldn't be too broken up about it if he wasn't dead.

TexasBoY25
07-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Nice find. I would rep. you if I could, but I've repped. too much in the last 24 hours.

It's cool, thanks!

brakos82
07-27-2010, 08:08 PM

Bill, don't abuse the punctuation... unless you're into periods. :peek:

Kulluminatii
07-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Wish I vould've had the chance to watch him play in person

Same here, the guy was amazing. Its kinda funny though, if he were still able to play today and tried to do half the hits he did back then he would have been banned from the game within his first season :D.

RIP "The Assassin" Jack Tatum

StarStruck
07-28-2010, 12:44 AM
RIP. Just a week or two ago I was quoting something about the Raiders of that era that I had read in his book, They Call Me Assassin. Also, Darryl Stingley passed away two or three years ago.

TexasBoY25
07-28-2010, 12:51 AM
RIP. Just a week or two ago I was quoting something about the Raiders of that era that I had read in his book, They Call Me Assassin. Also, Darryl Stingley passed away two or three years ago.

yeah it was 2007

Mr teX
07-28-2010, 10:04 AM
best known for the paralyzing hit on stingley or getting trucked by earl?

Texan_Bill
07-28-2010, 10:14 AM
It's cool, thanks!

Repped... Finally!

Bill, don't abuse the punctuation... unless you're into periods. :peek:

:foottap: I was punctuating abbreviations, you over-officious jerk. :lol:

rmartin65
07-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Repped... Finally!

:foottap: I was punctuating abbreviations, you over-officious jerk. :lol:

I thought you were. just. speaking. like. William. Shatner.

toronto
07-28-2010, 12:29 PM
As Er said, Tatum at #6 is flat out ridiculous.

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Anyone interested in a more in depth look at the man, this will alert you to things you probably didn't know about him and his "reputation."

The Assassin and The Reverend: Remembering the late Jack Tatum (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/07/28/tatum/) (You may just want to read THE ENTIRE article)

"You never make a tackle with a smile on your face," Woody Hayes had told him back at Ohio State

"When Jack hit someone, it was a different sound," linebacker Phil Villapiano told me. "There was a different sound between everyone else's hits and Jack Tatum's hits."

At Biletnikoff's party, I introduced myself to Tatum, and told him I was writing a book about his Super Bowl-winning Raiders of 1976: the last team of the old era, when you could be an outlaw and a rebel and a partier, and still play championship football. "Cool," he said. "Call me." I did, and left a few messages. But his health was failing. I didn't want to press. I knew that, 32 years after the Darryl Stingley play, the hit for which he'll forever be known, he was still reluctant to give interviews.

Then, one day, Tatum called me back, and we talked about the many unknown sides to the man. Of his grandfather's farm in North Carolina: "If I hadn't played football, I'd've probably been a farmer," he told me. "I just liked the peace and serenity." Of his other nickname on the Raiders -- The Reverend -- because, off the field, he was so contemplative and quiet. "Both my dad and grandfather were quiet and reflective guys, but they were real men," he said. Clearly, in Tatum's mind, the two were not mutually exclusive concepts.

"He was quick to smile, and so relaxed," Raiders fullback Mark van Eeghen told me. "Quick to giggle and laugh. Then he'd put the helmet on, and, Jesus, the switch that would turn on."

"I wanted them to know that I was in control of the field from the middle to the hashmarks," Tatum told me. "If you wanted to play in that area, you had to pay. You had to pay me. But you can't be off the field what people see on the field. That's a whole different world ... It was a different person when you take the field."

And, finally, we talked about Darryl Stingley. It had been a meaningless exhibition game in August 1978, in Oakland: Steve Grogan's pass had sailed high and behind the receiver, out of reach. As the two neared each other, Tatum lowered his head to the left, so as to avoid a head-to-head hit; Tatum's tackles had always been torso-to-torso, mano-a-mano. He had never been a head-hunter. But Stingley lowered his head, and it collided with Tatum's right shoulder. Two of his vertebrae fractured, instantly rendering him a quadriplegic.

"My shoulder pad hit him," Tatum told me, reluctant but willing to discuss the play. "It wasn't head-to-head. And, yes, it was legal." It was a horrid confluence of events, just tragic physics. After the game, Tatum went to the hospital to visit Stingley but was denied admission: "When I got there they told me only the family was allowed to come that day," Tatum told me.

Up until his death in 2007, Stingley never professed any anger at Tatum. "For me to go on and adapt to a new way of life," Stingley, who would die of complications from the injury, said in 1983, "I had to forgive him. I don't harbor any ill feelings toward him. In my heart I forgave Jack Tatum a long time ago."