PDA

View Full Version : Bryant refuses to carry Williams pads

JB
07-25-2010, 07:48 PM
"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5409306&campaign=rss&source=DALLASHeadlines)

Does this lead to serious dissension in the locker room?

eriadoc
07-25-2010, 07:51 PM
He'll carry the pads or he'll catch them across the chin.

valleytexfan
07-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Dez better watch it before he loses any support/respect he has coming...

Kaiser Toro
07-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I would have done the same thing during my playing days. Williams is lazy, soft and overpaid, no respect should be given to that type of player. I bet Bryant won some points, discreetly, with guys in the locker room.

steelbtexan
07-25-2010, 08:06 PM
I would have done the same thing during my playing days. Williams is lazy, soft and overpaid, no respect should be given to that type of player. I bet Bryant won some points, discreetly, with guys in the locker room.

Agreed

I wouldn't carry a guys pads that I knew his job would be mine come the regular season.

eriadoc
07-25-2010, 08:22 PM

Hold on, I thought we were talking about the other Roy Williams .. you know, the one that has the opportunity to jack him up on the practice field. Yeah, I agree with him if it was the WR.

TexasBoY25
07-25-2010, 08:24 PM
There's is reason why the Broncos passed on this fool, Character issues and probably more BS to come. watch this kid be T.O Jr

gg no re
07-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Hold on, I thought we were talking about the other Roy Williams .. you know, the one that has the opportunity to jack him up on the practice field.

IIRC he's not a Cowboy anymore

TexanSam
07-25-2010, 08:33 PM
IIRC he's not a Cowboy anymore

You are correct. He's with the Bengals

TheRealJoker
07-25-2010, 08:59 PM
It's a common practice for rookies to hold a vets pads. It doesn't matter if you're a first round pick that is earmarked for a starting role, you'll hold the backup veteran's pads.

I'm sure Brian Cushing had no problem holding Chaun Thompson's pads when asked last season.

BullNation4Life
07-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Hmm not surprised Bryant already thinking he is bigger than tradition....

Difference between Cushing and Bryant...Cushing is a team player and Bryant is a me player or soon will be....

CloakNNNdagger
07-25-2010, 09:18 PM
NFL rookie hazing has purpose (http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/insider/news/story?id=4502895)

Hey, rookie.

You've made it through training camp. Yo on the roster. You're cashing a paycheck. Now listen up. Respect the veterans. Do what they tell you to do. And by all means, put up with the hazing. Because it's not going to stop until you've made it through a full season.

The veterans said Cushing was a good sport about it all.

"Sampson wouldn't let them cut his hair, but I think Cushing is going to be just fine without it," right tackle Eric Winston said. "I think he even looks meaner than before, too, so I think that's going to suit him well, especially in this heat."

"I thought it was pretty impressive for him to grow that crop and let those guys do that to him last night," head coach Gary Kubiak said. "I know one thing—they know he's with them. I know that. It was pretty impressive."
LINK (http://www.playerpress.com/articles/texans-cushing-takes-rookie-hazing-in-stride)

BTW, did everyone that discussed Roy Williams as being deserving of such disrespect fail to read the entire description of Dez's player inclusion???

According to the rookie first-round pick, Roy Williams and the other veteran receivers can carry their own shoulder pads after practice.

I predict this is not a maneuver that will endear him to most of his team mates, coaches or GM/owner, and is only a peek into what the future brings.

Allstar
07-25-2010, 09:30 PM
What a party pooper.

ubecool454
07-25-2010, 09:38 PM

I know its tradition but Roy Williams has to know this guy is going to be one of the reasons that Dallas cuts his ass. I'm down with you ....a soft overpaid and overated player shouldn't even attempt to ask a high profile rookie to carry his pads.

ArlingtonTexan
07-25-2010, 09:41 PM
This type of "hazing" really does not mean spit, but falls under the category of just do it to make your life easier. Any embarassment or disrespect is temporary, not understanding that there are 50 some + other guys you are pissing off lasts much longer.

That said, if Bryant turns out to be that damn good, everyone will get over this.

BSofA04
07-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't see what's the big deal. It's a right of passage (sorta). All rookies, especially first rounders, do it. Dez is being a diva.

sakebomb
07-25-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't see what's the big deal. It's a right of passage (sorta). All rookies, especially first rounders, do it. Dez is being a diva.

I disagree. Dez is being a *****.

JB
07-25-2010, 10:14 PM

I disagree. Dez is being a *****.

Y'all both saying the same thing.

edo783
07-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Dez should have been smart enough to go over and carry someone else's pads and just ignore Williams. Shows respect for the tradition and that he thinks Williams isn't worth the effort, which he isn't.

CloakNNNdagger
07-25-2010, 10:23 PM
This type of "hazing" really does not mean spit, but falls under the category of just do it to make your life easier. Any embarassment or disrespect is temporary, not understanding that there are 50 some + other guys you are pissing off lasts much longer.

That said, if Bryant turns out to be that damn good, everyone will get over this.

If all is ignored and Bryant turns out to be that damn good, everyone will have to get over this past incident, because they will have to be dealing with even more grandiose issues which were caused by letting this first incident slide.

drs23
07-25-2010, 10:25 PM
It's a common practice for rookies to hold a vets pads. It doesn't matter if you're a first round pick that is earmarked for a starting role, you'll hold the backup veteran's pads.

I'm sure Brian Cushing had no problem holding Chaun Thompson's pads when asked last season.

Did this actually occur?

JB
07-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Did this actually occur?

Don't know if he carried Thompson's pads or not, but IIRC there was a pic floating around of him carrying someone's pads.

ArlingtonTexan
07-25-2010, 10:36 PM
If all is ignored and Bryant turns out to be that damn good, everyone will have to get over this past incident, because they will have to be dealing with even more grandiose issues which were caused by letting this first incident slide.

Fair point. This could be an indication that (as some expected) that Dez is not a guy who "gets it."

Edit: From my time up here, I can tell you GM/Owner Jerry Jones, does not care much about issues of tradition and chemistry; only about bottom line production. It would be surprising if somebody from above the player level tells Dez, just deal with it everybody does it.

drs23
07-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Cool. Thanks JB.

I agree with some of the posts prior. I see this as a diva move. If he allieanates his team mates, not good. So who's got the stones to put him in his place ya think?

JB
07-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Cool. Thanks JB.

I agree with some of the posts prior. I see this as a diva move. If he allieanates his team mates, not good. So who's got the stones to put him in his place ya think?

As was mentioned by others, the big issue here is not him refusing to carry the pads. Though that is a big one in mind. But the precedence it sets for treating with him and his ego. Ya think TO has an ego? Arrogant?

For the solid pro's on the team, this is a slap in the face. It wasn't that he refused to carry William's pads, but any veterans. This guy thinks he is above it all.

Not gonna be pretty.

Hookem Horns
07-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Fair point. This could be an indication that (as some expected) that Dez is not a guy who "gets it."

Edit: From my time up here, I can tell you GM/Owner Jerry Jones, does not care much about issues of tradition and chemistry; only about bottom line production. It would be surprising if somebody from above the player level tells Dez, just deal with it everybody does it.

This is probably why all of his non Jimmy Johnson teams have failed (the Switzer SB season still being a Jimmy Johnson team btw).

Like someone else said, Bryant doesn't get it. This is not about him being more talented than certain veterans, it's about being a team player. To me this just tells us what type of person he is and what type of player he is probably going to be, a cancer in the locker room. Of course it couldn't happen to a better team.

RTP2110
07-26-2010, 07:01 AM
"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads.

What a tool. How is carrying someone's pads after practice in the off-season taking away from winning a Super Bowl? "Man, the Cowboys really could have won the Super Bowl. If only Dez Bryant wasn't carrying pads around after practice, they would have won it all."

TimeKiller
07-26-2010, 07:40 AM
You roll with hazing when you know it's coming. He better not pick up a damn person's pads but I think I might be mortified to learn of someone carrying his pads in the future.

Tailgate
07-26-2010, 08:17 AM
What a douche. This absolutely has nothing to do with Roy Williams, and everything about Dez Bryant and simply refusing to do what thousands upon thousands of rookies before him went through. He basically is saying he is above and better than everyone else. Not a good start for him.... especially one with some character concerns already. If you think he "secretly" gained any respect from all of this you are kidding yourself. This category only includes rookies and vets. And hes a rookie, but he is "special" and refuses to be treated like one.

dalemurphy
07-26-2010, 08:21 AM

I totally agree.

By the way, the entire hazing culture is moronic and anyone that stands up to it endears themself to me.... especially when the "hazer" is a turd like Roy Williams.

dalemurphy
07-26-2010, 08:22 AM
What a douche. This absolutely has nothing to do with Roy Williams, and everything about Dez Bryant and simply refusing to do what thousands upon thousands of rookies before him went through. He basically is saying he is above and better than everyone else. Not a good start for him.... especially one with some character concerns already. If you think he "secretly" gained any respect from all of this you are kidding yourself. This category only includes rookies and vets. And hes a rookie, but he is "special" and refuses to be treated like one.

He's actually saying that he isn't subserviant to Roy Williams. Which he isn't, nor should he be. Good for Bryant!

dalemurphy
07-26-2010, 08:25 AM
As was mentioned by others, the big issue here is not him refusing to carry the pads. Though that is a big one in mind. But the precedence it sets for treating with him and his ego. Ya think TO has an ego? Arrogant?

For the solid pro's on the team, this is a slap in the face. It wasn't that he refused to carry William's pads, but any veterans. This guy thinks he is above it all.

Not gonna be pretty.

I'm not a fan of Dez Bryant at all! But, this hazing culture is total crap.

By the way, not carrying Roy Williams' shoulder pads is much less a slap in the face than the fact he is probably going to take his job from him by mid-August. I wonder which slap in the face will upset Roy Williams more?

GP
07-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Meh. I'm not one who thinks hazing is important for the health of the team.

It's just a silly way of bullying the new guys. Not for any other reason than because you can. Some guys grow up feeling like nobody respects them, and then they get into their job (yes, the NFL is a paying job) and they're getting told to degrade themselves right off the bat. To fit in.

Well, I don't blame a guy for saying "You know what, I want to do my job. Get off my back. I'm not your *****. I work here. I give my sweat and blood here, just like you do. So back off already."

That's just me. Boo-hoo if the vets feel like THEY went through it, so the new guys surely MUST go through it. At some point, silly traditions need to be retired.

If a guy feels like getting hazed, then good. If not, leave him alone.

JB
07-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Meh. I'm not one who thinks hazing is important for the health of the team.

It's just a silly way of bullying the new guys. Not for any other reason than because you can. Some guys grow up feeling like nobody respects them, and then they get into their job (yes, the NFL is a paying job) and they're getting told to degrade themselves right off the bat. To fit in.

Well, I don't blame a guy for saying "You know what, I want to do my job. Get off my back. I'm not your *****. I work here. I give my sweat and blood here, just like you do. So back off already."

That's just me. Boo-hoo if the vets feel like THEY went through it, so the new guys surely MUST go through it. At some point, silly traditions need to be retired.

If a guy feels like getting hazed, then good. If not, leave him alone.

I can understand your point. And no, he doesn't have to go thru with it if he does not want to. Just like Cushing did not have to let them cut his hair last year. Nor did he have to carry pads. But he felt like it was more important to fit in with the team and just be opne of the guys.
Kinda reminds me of the Naval tradition on the crossing of the the equator for the first time. You do not have to go through the ceremony if you do not want to. But if you do not, you will never be considered part of the team. Just an outsider that happens to be on the same ship.

Tailgate
07-26-2010, 08:57 AM
He's actually saying that he isn't subserviant to Roy Williams. Which he isn't, nor should he be. Good for Bryant!

He didnt say that. What he said is he is here to play football.... not to carry ANYONES pads.

And I dont care if it was Roy Williams or not.... he is a Vet, and Dez is a Rook. End of discussion.

Blake
07-26-2010, 09:33 AM

What a punk. I dont care if its Roy Williams, or DeMarcus Ware. He needs to fall in line before its him vs. the locker room.

Just because Roy isnt the great player he was supposed to be in Dallas, doesnt mean he doesnt have alot of friends in the locker room.

disaacks3
07-26-2010, 10:06 AM
IMHO - There are FAR too many people defending Bryant's actions on here. 1st-round draft choice or not, he's still a rookie. It's not like this is some ridiculously abusive form of hazing. Joe Montana got hazed and THIS kid is above it? Gimme a break...this is going to turn into T.O. #2 a a locker room cancer if it isn't cured quickly.

The1ApplePie
07-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Hazing is for bitches anyways.

Either Bryant sticks to his guns all the way through or he punks out. May not be smart but the kid has balls.

dalemurphy
07-26-2010, 10:41 AM
He didnt say that. What he said is he is here to play football.... not to carry ANYONES pads.

And I dont care if it was Roy Williams or not.... he is a Vet, and Dez is a Rook. End of discussion.

Refusing to carry someone's pads doesn't mean he thinks he is better than the veteran, it just communicates that he sees himself as (at least) equal to them.

It's likely that Dez Bryant has an out of control ego and is in dire need of some humility. Regardless, though, this single act of defiance is totally respectable and appropriate, IMO.

Tailgate
07-26-2010, 10:47 AM
It's likely that Dez Bryant has an out of control ego and is in dire need of some humility. Regardless, though, this single act of defiance is totally respectable and appropriate, IMO.

Sure, of course its your opinion. To all the current vets on that team, the thousands of others before in the NFL who came in as rookies and who simply picked up the pads and carried them for friggin 5 minutes or whatever and went along with it all.... this shows DISRESPECT to all of them and DEFIANCE to all of them. IMO.

dalemurphy
07-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Sure, of course its your opinion. To all the current vets on that team, the thousands of others before in the NFL who came in as rookies and who simply picked up the pads and carried them for friggin 5 minutes or whatever and went along with it all.... this shows DISRESPECT to all of them and DEFIANCE to all of them. IMO.

People with wrong-thinking, that engage in ridiculous rituals and traditions are often offended and feel disrespected when people outside of their mishapen world make decisions counter to their expectations.

GP
07-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I can understand your point. And no, he doesn't have to go thru with it if he does not want to. Just like Cushing did not have to let them cut his hair last year. Nor did he have to carry pads. But he felt like it was more important to fit in with the team and just be opne of the guys.
Kinda reminds me of the Naval tradition on the crossing of the the equator for the first time. You do not have to go through the ceremony if you do not want to. But if you do not, you will never be considered part of the team. Just an outsider that happens to be on the same ship.

But why is that? How come? What does that ceremony actually produce? That you were a blind follower of tradition and subjected yourself to some silly ritual that has absolutely nothing to do with being part of a team whatsoever? If I were in the military, I would probably be OK with the hazing. In the professional world? Not so much.

It's just bullying. It's an acceptable form of making someone subjugate himself to others. How is that, in all honesty, a part of being a team? I would want others on my team, or in my profession, to lift me up. Not pull me down. That's where I have the disconnect.

The better rookie "ritual" would be to make them earn a very modest amount of money in their first year. Instead of unproven rookie QBs or RBs or WRs making more than the veterans who have been there and earned it more.

I suppose as long as we have stoopid amounts of cash being thrown to the Cushings and Bryants of the NFL world, before they've even earned it, then there must be a need to knock them down a peg.

And by the way, a guy like Cushing probably has an easier time of being hazed than a guy like Bryant who has had a whole different background. I can see where Dez would say "Man, I'm so far past that kind of crap. I just want to be a man and work hard and let that be who I am."

I actually think MORE of Bryant now. He didn't conform, and it wasn't an issue that is divisive and will hurt the team. He just didn't let himself be laughed at and used for cheap fun. Maybe he's seen enough of that while growing up, if you know what I mean.

Tailgate
07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
People with wrong-thinking, that engage in ridiculous rituals and traditions are often offended and feel disrespected when people outside of their mishapen world make decisions counter to their expectations.

Me me me.... thats all its about. Boo hoo. Carry the frickin pads already for crying out loud.

And the wussification continues...

MojoMan
07-26-2010, 11:04 AM
I think the hazing only lasts through the first six games of the season.

GP
07-26-2010, 11:06 AM
IMHO - There are FAR too many people defending Bryant's actions on here. 1st-round draft choice or not, he's still a rookie. It's not like this is some ridiculously abusive form of hazing. Joe Montana got hazed and THIS kid is above it? Gimme a break...this is going to turn into T.O. #2 a a locker room cancer if it isn't cured quickly.

Joe Montana is not god. He was going to be great whether he was hazed or not. And I doubt Dez Bryant is the first person to refuse to made a fool of with this sort of bilge.

It plays ZERO importance in the grand scheme of things. I question the line of thinking that says "This is how we do things, and you don't question it. Never." when in all honesty, the ritual has no productive purpose.

Other than to say "We had to do it, so YOU have to do it." How mindless is that? Saying that it's trying to teach the new guy how to fit in is a crock of crap. What if, later down the road, you're asked to do other things because "This is how we roll"? And those things are wrong. But hey, that's how we roll! Are you in? Or are you out? Clock's ticking...

I think a lot of hazing is done to see who would be open to doing other things later down the road. If you won't go through hazing, then you can't be trusted with the other stuff later down the road.

All this fake macho-man stuff is for insecure children and sneaks, IMO. But like I said: If you WANT to go through it, then go through it. If you don't, then you shouldn't be treated as a leper for it. Some people are free thinkers.

dalemurphy
07-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Me me me.... thats all its about. Boo hoo. Carry the frickin pads already for crying out loud.

And the wussification continues...

What does a rookie standing up to team veterans have to do with wussification? That's an interesting spin.

GP
07-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Hey, why don't we all start a tradition of hazing our children?

We could make the little boys dress up as girls, complete with all attire and makeup, and have them scrub floors and bring us our beers when we're thirsty.

Then our sons can grow up and haze their sons to do the same thing.

Or, we could take our son to a baseball game. Or take him on his first hunt. Or do any number of other rituals that create fond memories, expressing to our son that he's valued and cherished.

No, let's degrade him. And he can make his son do the same thing, or maybe kick it up a notch and make it even WORSE! Yeah, that's the ticket. I mean, if you want to be a part of this family then you'll do it. I had to do it.

Silliness.

Tailgate
07-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Joe Montana is not god. He was going to be great whether he was hazed or not. And I doubt Dez Bryant is the first person to refuse to made a fool of with this sort of bilge.

It plays ZERO importance in the grand scheme of things. I question the line of thinking that says "This is how we do things, and you don't question it. Never." when in all honesty, the ritual has no productive purpose.

Other than to say "We had to do it, so YOU have to do it." How mindless is that? Saying that it's trying to teach the new guy how to fit in is a crock of crap. What if, later down the road, you're asked to do other things because "This is how we roll"? And those things are wrong. But hey, that's how we roll! Are you in? Or are you out? Clock's ticking...

I think a lot of hazing is done to see who would be open to doing other things later down the road. If you won't go through hazing, then you can't be trusted with the other stuff later down the road.

All this fake macho-man stuff is for insecure children and sneaks, IMO. But like I said: If you WANT to go through it, then go through it. If you don't, then you shouldn't be treated as a leper for it. Some people are free thinkers.

Doesn't serve any significance TO YOU. But how do you really know that? How do you know that just maybe, eating a small piece of humble pie is not good for the man? He was a big bad star and big man on campus for years. But now he is just a Rook. And like all rooks before him, and the ones along side him, they go with the program. The program is the real world. But he, and sounds like you.... are "above" it all. And that dont fly very well in the real world.

Tailgate
07-26-2010, 11:18 AM
What does a rookie standing up to team veterans have to do with wussification? That's an interesting spin.

Its just all the mushy holier than thou crap. Trying to make some big life point out of carrying fricking pads and what not. Like he is some hero standing up to the man or something. And then posts bringing children and hazing into the discussion like above. The... OMG where does it all end speech... I mean spare me.

Carry the damn pads like all the others before you, shut up, and get to work. Its simple.

WWJD
07-26-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't care if he carries his pads or not and I'm really surprised that such a big national deal is being made out of this. I guess it is a man's world. This stuff is silly to me.

disaacks3
07-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Simple solution, don't join that organization then. Dez wants the $$ that the NFL has to offer, but doesn't want the "hassle". Poor baby.

Don't like ritual, then why cheer at the game? It certainly isn't part of the rulebook either.

GP
07-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Simple solution, don't join that organization then. Dez wants the $$ that the NFL has to offer, but doesn't want the "hassle". Poor baby.

Don't like ritual, then why cheer at the game? It certainly isn't part of the rulebook either.

Cheering is positive: Yay! Do a good job! Way to go!

Hazing is along the lines of boo'ing. Both have the potential to spread the misery around.

Some rituals are foolish. And it seems like Dez Bryant is destined to be everyone's whipping post for some reason or another. The next time I see him involved in a murder, throwing money at strippers, carrying a gun into a nightclub, involved in a murder-suicide with a mistress, permitting and actively managing a dog fighting organization, blowing his brains up with cocaine, jumping out of a moving vehicle and dying because his girlfriend was mad at him, etc., etc., is when I will question Dez Bryant's attitude toward the sanctity of the NFL.

Until then, let's just all agree that refusing to carry a grown man's shoulder pads is not grounds for being labeled a cancer. Sheesh...:rake:

Ryan
07-26-2010, 11:41 AM
I wonder if Mario carried any pads when he got here. I would have been too frightened to ask.

disaacks3
07-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Cheering is positive: Yay! Do a good job! Way to go!

Hazing is along the lines of boo'ing. Both have the potential to spread the misery around.

Some rituals are foolish. And it seems like Dez Bryant is destined to be everyone's whipping post for some reason or another. The next time I see him involved in a murder, throwing money at strippers, carrying a gun into a nightclub, involved in a murder-suicide with a mistress, permitting and actively managing a dog fighting organization, blowing his brains up with cocaine, jumping out of a moving vehicle and dying because his girlfriend was mad at him, etc., etc., is when I will question Dez Bryant's attitude toward the sanctity of the NFL.

Until then, let's just all agree that refusing to carry a grown man's shoulder pads is not grounds for being labeled a cancer. Sheesh...:rake: I guess T.O. isn't a locker room problem by those standards either. Maybe it's OK with you, but I prefer to shoot higher.

Can you see a Texans rookie receiver refusing to carry AJ's pads? It's about class.

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2010, 11:55 AM

We could make the little boys dress up as girls, complete with all attire and makeup, and have them scrub floors and bring us our beers when we're thirsty..

There is plenty of my parents [insert behavior] did, so I will parenting that goes on all through out the world. Some is pretty harmless say baptisim into a religion at birth to very harmful such as sewing up female parts in some tribes.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Stupid move. My guess, opposing team vets may just take umbrage with Bryant's actions........and let him know about it on the field. His high goals now may just be to stay alive and well.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/30/128698790200214271.jpg

JB
07-26-2010, 12:22 PM
lol:

Brando
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Bryant also refused to carry Martellus Bennett's equipment also. :photos:

OzzO
07-26-2010, 12:42 PM
"If I won't carry pads, I won't carry pads. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about carrying pads. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about carrying pads. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about pads, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about pads. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it's my last but we're talking about carrying pads man. How silly is that?

Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know hazing's important, I honestly do but we're talking about pads. We're talking about carrying pads man. We're talking about pads. We're talking about pads. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about pads. When you come to Jones' shrine, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about pads right now."

Thanks AI.

Mr teX
07-26-2010, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't carry that bum's equipment either....Witten, D-ware... ok.

BullNation4Life
07-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Refusing to carry someone's pads doesn't mean he thinks he is better than the veteran, it just communicates that he sees himself as (at least) equal to them.

Problem with that is he is not equal to them because he has not taken one snap of NFL football. This is a "ME" issue. Irvin did it, Rice, Cris Carter and go through the list. He thinks he is above that and he isn't because he hasn't proven a damn thing in the NFL...

Yankee_In_TX
07-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm not saying right or wrong, but McClain, Lopez and Golic kept calling it 'time honored tradition' and Golic was emphatic that doing things like that and making them stand on chairs and sing, etc., is not 'hazing.'

Errr, ESPN finally got one right and has been calling it hazing.

It's not tradition it is hazing. Period. They sound like they guys' whose fraternity I refounded's fathers 'if you weren't hazed you should be ashamed to be a member of this fraternity."

[side rant - I'm not worthy because I didn't get hazed? How did hazing work out? Oh wait, your frat ended up being nothing but coke head douche bags that got kicked off campus and the frat got shut down and my ass helped re-start it, so shove it [/side rant]

Huh?

I'm not arguing there should or should not be hazing, but let's call it what it is.

The1ApplePie
07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
[side rant - I'm not worthy because I didn't get hazed? How did hazing work out? Oh wait, your frat ended up being nothing but coke head douche bags that got kicked off campus and the frat got shut down and my ass helped re-start it, so shove it [/side rant]

Huh?

I'm not arguing there should or should not be hazing, but let's call it what it is.

You founded the first frat ever that wasn't for coke-head douche bags? I salute you.

GP
07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
I guess T.O. isn't a locker room problem by those standards either. Maybe it's OK with you, but I prefer to shoot higher.

Can you see a Texans rookie receiver refusing to carry AJ's pads? It's about class.

I think you're connecting dots when there's not even a pen and paper yet.

I'll stick by my stance: If a guy wants to be hazed, let him be hazed. If he doesn't, then leave him the Hell alone. And then have an exclusive players-only meeting--excluding the one guy who obviously isn't a team player-- and hold a prayer session to the NFL Gods so they don't curse the whole team because (GASP!) one guy didn't want to conform to it.

Some of the same people [no names are implied, though can be inferred if you desire to] who are screaming about how belief in God is hocus pocus are actually ranting because a man-made system (hazing) isn't being adhered to. Sigh.

And by the way, a guy who subjects himself to hazing can just easily turn out to be a self-centered "selfish" douche bag who doesn't bring one single ounce of productivity to the team when it actually counts. A guy who goes through hazing might just be doing that so that he'll be accepted DESPITE his lack of skills on the field and rapport in the locker room. So hazing is not some magical wand that waves over a person and makes them suddenly be a part of the team.

Maybe Dez wants to go out there and PRODUCE on the field, instead of being like Roy Williams and Terrell Owens who are the master of the art of illusion. Has that ever crossed anybody's mind, or are we just going to write off Dez Bryant because he got mad his mom was insulted and now he's not having any part of what he might feel is yet another attempt at insult?

Sounds like the guy has a positive attitude about himself. Stands up for his mother, and stands up for himself. How is that translating to the guy being a cancer?

Yankee_In_TX
07-26-2010, 01:36 PM
You founded the first frat ever that wasn't for coke-head douche bags? I salute you.

It lasted for a year, then the rich alumns ensured that the coke head douche bags took it over at which point I disaffiliated.

GP
07-26-2010, 01:43 PM
It seems even the players are ready for football season to start.

There's no other explanation for how (a) this is a story in the first place, (b) all the media is talking about it to no end, and (c) it's trickled its way down to us fans who are now debating it with complete 100% seriousness about it.

LOL.

Beware of things that trickle down. I'm just sayin'......:turtle:

Kaiser Toro
07-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Wouldn't it be silly if there were no usage of pads on the day the rookie was requested to carry them?

Hazing practices are dumb in the first place, they are not team builders, just shame builders. They are even dumber when they have no direct correlation to contributing to the betterment of the team, especially when the team is together for practice related activities.

I refused hazing, and got the shit beat out of me the first month of practice as a freshman in college. Toughened by ass up, won the respect of the Seniors and most importantly the staff and my fellow freshmen. I became the team captain as a Junior and wound up becoming the recruiting coordinator upon graduation. To this day there is no hazing at my alma mater - the team's team builder remains the camping trip to the Adirondacks that I put together my Junior year.

Freshman do set up the tents, Sophomores put together the menus, Juniors are in charge of transport and Seniors do the buying. A shared team activity with roles defined will tell you more about your team and individuals prior to the season, rather than someone carrying some asshat's pads.

GP
07-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Wouldn't it be silly if there were no usage of pads on the day the rookie was requested to carry them?

Hazing practices are dumb in the first place, they are not team builders, just shame builders. They are even dumber when they have no direct correlation to contributing to the betterment of the team, especially when the team is together for practice related activities.

I refused hazing, and got the shit beat out of me the first month of practice as a freshman in college. Toughened by ass up, won the respect of the Seniors and most importantly the staff and my fellow freshmen. I became the team captain as a Junior and wound up becoming the recruiting coordinator upon graduation. To this day there is no hazing at my alma mater - the team's team builder remains the camping trip to the Adirondacks that I put together my Junior year.

Freshman do set up the tents, Sophomores put together the menus, Juniors are in charge of transport and Seniors do the buying. A shared team activity with roles defined will tell you more about your team and individuals prior to the season, rather than someone carrying some asshat's pads.

:bravo:

:toast2:

:clap:

------------------

Because :handshake: is better than :dangit:

If you're going to teach "belonging" then do something like what you described. To mask hazing as some sort of rite of passage just rings hollow. If you want to make newbies understand their role to the team or entity, put some effort into it at least.

I've always felt there's three types of people: Those who think it would be cool to pee on a hot-wire fence, those who try it, and those who watch others try it...and then keep their fly shut after watching the guy writhe on the ground in agony.

Do what is right because it is right. A good lesson from an average movie.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Now the story is that he was just joking around. I think somebody sat him down.

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/Index

BullNation4Life
07-26-2010, 04:42 PM

WOW maybe they should move Bryant to DB cause he backpedals like a son of a gun....

I

Double Barrel
07-26-2010, 05:12 PM

We could make the little boys dress up as girls, complete with all attire and makeup, and have them scrub floors and bring us our beers when we're thirsty.

Then our sons can grow up and haze their sons to do the same thing.

Or, we could take our son to a baseball game. Or take him on his first hunt. Or do any number of other rituals that create fond memories, expressing to our son that he's valued and cherished.

No, let's degrade him. And he can make his son do the same thing, or maybe kick it up a notch and make it even WORSE! Yeah, that's the ticket. I mean, if you want to be a part of this family then you'll do it. I had to do it.

Silliness.

I agree with the above perspectives. Hazing is lame. I've been on the receiving end of it and I never felt like I was more a part of something. It was a way for the older kids to bully someone with adult approval. When it came my time to be the hazer, I refused to take part in that childish crap.

Give me a freakin' break about "tradition" and "building teams". Hazing is douche bag behavior. Standing for the national anthem is TRADITION. Hazing, not so much.

GP
07-26-2010, 05:37 PM

No. He actually stood his ground. In that video, when asked if he was going to do it, he said "No." When told there was phase 2 (punishment, according to the tubby little reporter) Dez (again) says "Nope."

IMO, he throws out the "We're just jokin'" phrase to make an attempt to lay down some cover. He smiled and laughed about it.

If anything, I think someone, somewhere, had a talk with Roy Williams and told him to leave it alone. I think Jerry Jones takes care of his players, and I think he might have personally saw to it that this story ended quickly.

There was nothing in that story, to me, that points to Dez backpedaling. Unless I am just missing something altogether.

I think I'm going to watch some Cowboys football this year. Dez Bryant and the way he's standing his ground on stuff makes me want to watch him to see how he does.

disaacks3
07-26-2010, 05:58 PM
No. He actually stood his ground. In that video, when asked if he was going to do it, he said "No." When told there was phase 2 (punishment, according to the tubby little reporter) Dez (again) says "Nope." I guess you see what you want to. I saw a rather sheepish Dez trying to play down the whole thing as if he'd never diss his teammate like that.

scourge
07-26-2010, 06:01 PM
If a guy wants to be hazed, let him be hazed. If he doesn't, then leave him the Hell alone.

That worked out real well for Ryan Leaf... story goes that Ryan didn't want to pay the check so Seau stole his credit card and paid.

Look, there are rights of initiation and there is hazing. I don't consider carrying someones pads hazing. There are far worse things than carrying pads that cross the line.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
No. He actually stood his ground. In that video, when asked if he was going to do it, he said "No." When told there was phase 2 (punishment, according to the tubby little reporter) Dez (again) says "Nope."

IMO, he throws out the "We're just jokin'" phrase to make an attempt to lay down some cover. He smiled and laughed about it.

If anything, I think someone, somewhere, had a talk with Roy Williams and told him to leave it alone. I think Jerry Jones takes care of his players, and I think he might have personally saw to it that this story ended quickly.

There was nothing in that story, to me, that points to Dez backpedaling. Unless I am just missing something altogether.

I think I'm going to watch some Cowboys football this year. Dez Bryant and the way he's standing his ground on stuff makes me want to watch him to see how he does.

GP,
I am getting a totally different take on this. He's making a purposefully ambiguous answer by running it onto an answer to another question. I think that if I agreed with you on this point, we'd both be wrong.:)

GP
07-26-2010, 06:17 PM
GP,
I am getting a totally different take on this. He's making a purposefully ambiguous answer by running it onto an answer to another question. I think that if I agreed with you on this point, we'd both be wrong.:)

I dunno. I'm not latching onto what you are.

I think the guy shuns the spotlight. He seems like a nervous laugher, the kind of guy who giggles when things get weird. And how weird is it for a tubby little oompa-loompa reporter with slicked back hair to go stoking the fire on a topic that's being heralded as "news"?

I can't infer that Dez saying "We just jokin' around" as to meaning he had a Cool Hand Luke You-Need-To-Get-Your-Mind-Right pep talk from someone.

I see a guy, for the second time now, just wishing that people would drop the shenanigans and leave him alone on a topic. That's what I see. Maybe it's what I want to see. Who knows.

Second Honeymoon
07-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Deion and Mike will let him know it's not about him
this is about the team and showing respect for the people thatcame before you

one thing is for sure Jimmy would never put up with Dez making waves
as a rookie no less

Tailgate
07-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Heard Marcus Coleman on the radio earlier. As we all knew, he said everyone in the locker room had to do this. Everyone. He said about every 4 or 5 years or so you get a rookie with a giant head who feels entitled. He said the OL and DL usually take care of that pretty quickly by shaving a head, giving a mohawk, or taping him to a goalpost. He said this isn't about Roy Williams, but about one guy who thinks he shouldn't do what every other player on the team had to do. He said this will not impact team building b/c the veterans will absolutely step up and put Dez in his place. He also said this story should have never hit the media (ahem Roy Williams) and that this is a problem they need to take care of internally.

So when all the other rookies have to stand up and sing their fight song in meetings or at lunch,etc.... I guess Dez is just supposed to not do that too? I remember Dez Bryant basically spent the entire draft process trying to sell himself as simply misunderstood. That he is not some self absorbed diva,etc.

Tailgate
07-26-2010, 06:59 PM
Posting this link again that Cloak posted earlier:

The veterans said Cushing was a good sport about it all.

"Sampson wouldn't let them cut his hair, but I think Cushing is going to be just fine without it," right tackle Eric Winston said. "I think he even looks meaner than before, too, so I think that's going to suit him well, especially in this heat."

"I thought it was pretty impressive for him to grow that crop and let those guys do that to him last night," head coach Gary Kubiak said. "I know one thing—they know he's with them. I know that. It was pretty impressive."

http://www.playerpress.com/articles/texans-cushing-takes-rookie-hazing-in-stride

JB
07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Heard Marcus Colemun on the radio earlier. As we all knew, he said everyone in the locker room had to do this. Everyone. He said about every 4 or 5 years or so you get a rookie with a giant head who feels entitled. He said the OL and DL usually take care of that pretty quickly by shaving a head, giving a mohawk, or taping him to a goalpost. He said this isn't about Roy Williams, but about one guy who thinks he shouldn't do what every other player on the team had to do. He said this will not impact team building b/c the veterans will absolutely step up and put Dez in his place. He also said this story should have never hit the media (ahem Roy Williams) and that this is a problem they need to take care of internally.
So when all the other rookies have to stand up and sing their fight song in meetings or at lunch,etc.... I guess Dez is just supposed to not do that too? I remember Dez Bryant basically spent the entire draft process trying to sell himself as simply misunderstood. That he is not some self absorbed diva,etc.

Yeah, Roy picked a bad time to drop his pads for Dez to carry, but Dez should have let it slide until the media was gone, or just done it and then said something later. He will get his comeuppance, right or wrong, and how he handles that will be huge in locker room chemistry in regards to him.

GP
07-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah, Roy picked a bad time to drop his pads for Dez to carry, but Dez should have let it slide until the media was gone, or just done it and then said something later. He will get his comeuppance, right or wrong, and how he handles that will be huge in locker room chemistry in regards to him.

If this is THAT complex, then I argue it's all bogus to begin with.

It's like there's so many rules about how this is supposed to go down. So-and-so does this, and so-and-so says when he was there that this-and-that happened and this is how it is, etc. etc.

LOL.

Man, why the obsessive attitude about making sure certain people (who allegedly need to be brought down from an alleged throne of inflated ego) get forced to do something. Or else. The sky is falling because one guy refused Roy Williams (of all people). Which I find extremely hilarious, btw, because if there's anybody who didn't learn from hazing it has to be Roy "Lord of Nothing Noteworthy" Williams.

The things we do. :polevault:

JB
07-26-2010, 08:21 PM
http://twitter.com/mortreport

Now a dissenting thought from reputable former baseball writer Gery Fraley, who also covers Cowboys:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/072710dnspoblogcowchanhopark.1ea2d2ee.html

By defying the NFL's time-honored tradition of rookies serving veterans during training camp, wide receiver Dez Bryant threatens to become the Dallas Cowboys' version of Chan Ho Park.

read the rest of the article

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2010, 08:25 PM
For ten straight minutes, Wade Phillips answered questions about Dez Bryant not carrying Roy Williams' pads yesterday. The look on his face went from bemused to exasperated by the end before a Cowboys staffer mercifully ended the mostly pointless proceedings.

"It's a non-issue," Phillips said. "Not a problem with either of them or our football team."

Phillips was told at some point that the story led a newscast in Toronto, but he didn't know what the fuss was about. Phillips also defended Bryant's right to do as he pleased.

"We don't haze. That's it," Phillips said. "I didnt like it when I was in college. We treat our men like men. As far as certain traditions that go -- if you want to participate in it or you don't, that's your preogorative. . . . Anytime you make someone uncomfortable, that is [going] too far."

For those scoring at home, Bryant didn't carry Williams' pads off the field on Monday. Williams says it isn't a big deal, according to Todd Archer of the Dallas Morning News.

Phillips pointed out that Bryant wouldn't be the first rookie to do his own thing.

"Flozell [Adams] didnt do one thing. You don't have to," Phillips said. "I dont think they ostracized Flozell. He was too big and too good."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/26/wade-phillips-roy-williams-say-carrying-pads-is-non-issue/

PapaL
07-26-2010, 08:33 PM
You know why the military punches on and "tacks" on promotions and medals? Because it's EARNED. Call it hazing, call it whatever you want but it is what it is...a man thing.

This sissy la la doesn't wanna carry another dudes pads? Count me as one that does not want to be in a fox hole with him. When things get tough, he won't be the one to lean on. Total 13ITCH move.

My :twocents: keep the change.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2010, 08:42 PM
For ten straight minutes, Wade Phillips answered questions about Dez Bryant not carrying Roy Williams' pads yesterday. The look on his face went from bemused to exasperated by the end before a Cowboys staffer mercifully ended the mostly pointless proceedings.

"It's a non-issue," Phillips said. "Not a problem with either of them or our football team."

Phillips was told at some point that the story led a newscast in Toronto, but he didn't know what the fuss was about. Phillips also defended Bryant's right to do as he pleased.

"We don't haze. That's it," Phillips said. "I didnt like it when I was in college. We treat our men like men. As far as certain traditions that go -- if you want to participate in it or you don't, that's your preogorative. . . . Anytime you make someone uncomfortable, that is [going] too far."

For those scoring at home, Bryant didn't carry Williams' pads off the field on Monday. Williams says it isn't a big deal, according to Todd Archer of the Dallas Morning News.

Phillips pointed out that Bryant wouldn't be the first rookie to do his own thing.

"Flozell [Adams] didnt do one thing. You don't have to," Phillips said. "I dont think they ostracized Flozell. He was too big and too good."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/26/wade-phillips-roy-williams-say-carrying-pads-is-non-issue/

I find this statement somewhat amusing coming from a Cowboys head coach. "We treat our men like men?" Over the past few years, I've heard Cowboys fans repeatedly call out Phillips as not being man enough to stand up to this or that. And "anytime you make someone feel uncomfortable, that is going too far?" Now there's a sign of a great coach........and the great Jerry certainly doesn't try to make anyone uncomfortable?.......or hasn't Phillips' keen perception missed that?

The1ApplePie
07-26-2010, 10:08 PM
If Dez comes in and kicks ass, all will be forgiven

drs23
07-26-2010, 10:46 PM
If this is THAT complex, then I argue it's all bogus to begin with.

It's like there's so many rules about how this is supposed to go down. So-and-so does this, and so-and-so says when he was there that this-and-that happened and this is how it is, etc. etc.
LOL.

Man, why the obsessive attitude about making sure certain people (who allegedly need to be brought down from an alleged throne of inflated ego) get forced to do something. Or else. The sky is falling because one guy refused Roy Williams (of all people). Which I find extremely hilarious, btw, because if there's anybody who didn't learn from hazing it has to be Roy "Lord of Nothing Noteworthy" Williams.

The things we do. :polevault:

GP,

Nothing here about time honored tradition? Those that have existed for years and years? Traditions exist on so many levels. JB mentions one's 1st crossing of the equator. Navel Acadamy grads fling their caps into the air. I stood on the RH side when my wife and I exchanged rings. Again, tradition.

#56 got buzzed and turned it into a Cush Hawk (which impressed his coaches and team mates).

At your house is there a Christmas Tree? A Thanksgiving Turkey or ham? Easter eggs from the Easter bunny? A 4th of July cookout? Again, traditions.

Of coarse we could just have Bryant set up the tents while the rest of the team shops and gets back to the campfire to sing Kum-ba-ya.

Wanna bet if the tents will be up? :smooch:

Rey
07-27-2010, 12:19 AM
This is not a big deal to me. I'm pretty much in the same place Dez is on the issue. I didn't join a frat in college because I know that I wouldn't have put up with the hazing and such.

The carrying pads thing is tradition, but tradition or not, no one is going to play me.

Rey
07-27-2010, 12:23 AM
GP,

Nothing here about time honored tradition? Those that have existed for years and years? Traditions exist on so many levels. JB mentions one's 1st crossing of the equator. Navel Acadamy grads fling their caps into the air. I stood on the RH side when my wife and I exchanged rings. Again, tradition.

#56 got buzzed and turned it into a Cush Hawk (which impressed his coaches and team mates).

At your house is there a Christmas Tree? A Thanksgiving Turkey or ham? Easter eggs from the Easter bunny? A 4th of July cookout? Again, traditions.

Of coarse we could just have Bryant set up the tents while the rest of the team shops and gets back to the campfire to sing Kum-ba-ya.

Those are traditions in which people choose to engage in. Everyone doesn't celebrate Christmas with a tree...I know some families like to go out and get the real thing...Me, I can do just find with a synthetic one.

What if the tradition was to wax someones ass hair????

I'm pretty sure there would be plenty of people who would reject that, no matter how deep that tradition ran.

Just like everything in life, if you produce no one cares about your quirks...In fact, some might even say that your quirks or bad attitude is what drives you to be great. If you fail though, folks will use those same areas as reasons for why you didn't succeed. Cocky doesn't = fail. Sometimes a little cockiness and a bad attitude can be beneficial.

GP
07-27-2010, 12:43 AM
GP,

I'm all for positive-minded traditions, many of which you named off.

I'm all about those.

Tell ya' what, I had a thought a few hours ago. I'd be cool with Dez Bryant ignoring Roy Williams and walking straight over to some other Cowboys player and picking up someone else's pads and carrying them. Or is this about Roy needing to get over on Dez? Like someone else said, maybe Roy should start worrying about on-the-job skills.

Like I said: I'm amazed by all the man-made rules and views on this thing. Whatever happened to a man being able to stand up for what he thinks is right, and being honored for it? Dez didn't skip a meeting. He didn't disgrace anybody or anything. I'm having a hard time seeing how people can continue to seek out a villain in the guy. It's what we're doin' in this country, though: We got to find a villain. A BP villain. An economy villain--Is it Bush or is it Obama? A LeBron-to-Miami villain.

There's a lot bigger fish to fry than someone refusing to carry an overrated Cowboys WR's pads. But I understand why Roy would want him to carry his pads, since Roy can't hold onto a football on Sundays. He probably drops the pads, too. Good thing those pads are strapped on to his body, huh? He'd drop them all day long if they weren't.

GP
07-27-2010, 12:46 AM
This is not a big deal to me. I'm pretty much in the same place Dez is on the issue. I didn't join a frat in college because I know that I wouldn't have put up with the hazing and such.

The carrying pads thing is tradition, but tradition or not, no one is going to play me.

Word.

I'm with you, rey. Now give me 20 pushups and sing me a Mariah Carey song at the same time. SING IT! :brando:

Tailgate
07-27-2010, 06:11 AM

Pfft... I am pretty sure most everyone with some common sense would have simply just picked up the damn pads in that situation.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2010, 07:35 AM
I can't help but think that this is only an extension of "stupid" Bryant exhibited in college......and will continue as a pattern throughout a career destined to be marked by more of the same.

Bryant And Under Armour Part Ways (http://www.cnbc.com/id/38415831)

In February, shoe and apparel company Under Armour signed a yet undrafted Dez Bryant to an endorsement deal. Weeks later, the former Oklahoma State wide receiver, who only played three games his senior season, was featured in the company’s “I Will” television commercial that aired during the NFL Scouting Combine that Under Armour sponsored.

But less than a month after Bryant was drafted 24th overall by the Dallas Cowboys, Bryant showed up to organized team activities wearing Nike shoes and Nike gloves and apparently has been wearing that brand ever since.

On Monday, an Under Armour official told CNBC that the short-lived relationship was already over.

“Under Armour and Dez Bryant mutually agreed to part ways,” UA’s senior vice president of sports marketing told CNBC, in a statement. “We wish Dez all the best as he embarks on a professional career.”

Bryant's marketing agent Peter Miller of Jabez Marketing Group was not immediately available for comment.

What makes the severing more remarkable is that Bryant, who was featured wearing all Under Armour gear on the cover of Eastbay’s April issue, didn’t even leave Under Armour for Nike. Nike spokesman Kejuan Wilkins said Bryant is not on the company’s list of current NFL endorsers.

Dwade
07-27-2010, 09:03 AM
I can't help but think that this is only an extension of "stupid" Bryant exhibited in college......and will continue as a pattern throughout a career destined to be marked by more of the same.

Bryant And Under Armour Part Ways (http://www.cnbc.com/id/38415831)

If you read the whole article, it says he didn't feel comfortable wearing the under armor shoes. He was willing to sacrifice endorsement money so he could wear shoes that he feels comfortable in and can perform better in. Are you really slamming him for that? I think it is pretty unselfish.

JB
07-27-2010, 09:08 AM
If you read the whole article, it says he didn't feel comfortable wearing the under armor shoes. He was willing to sacrifice endorsement money so he could wear shoes that he feels comfortable in and can perform better in. Are you really slamming him for that? I think it is pretty unselfish.

I didn't read that in the article anywhere.

disaacks3
07-27-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm w/ JB...exactly where are you pulling that info from? Even IF true, then why did he endorse them in the first place?

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 09:42 AM
What an asshat!!

Cush took his hazing, like a man:

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/brian-cushing-720x350.jpg

This along with having to sing various school's fight songs in front of the veterans.

I forget who mentioned it earlier in this thread but they were spot on with the "wussification" comment. Just another Diva who I hope turns out worse than Roy Williams.

Ckw
07-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Those are traditions in which people choose to engage in. Everyone doesn't celebrate Christmas with a tree...I know some families like to go out and get the real thing...Me, I can do just find with a synthetic one.

What if the tradition was to wax someones ass hair????

I'm pretty sure there would be plenty of people who would reject that, no matter how deep that tradition ran.

Just like everything in life, if you produce no one cares about your quirks...In fact, some might even say that your quirks or bad attitude is what drives you to be great. If you fail though, folks will use those same areas as reasons for why you didn't succeed. Cocky doesn't = fail. Sometimes a little cockiness and a bad attitude can be beneficial.

I agree a ton with many of your individual statements on the issue, but the bold is why I believe the way I believe. Carrying a veteran's pads, getting your head shaved, etc. is not the equivalent of having someone wax your ass hair.

What you guys are calling "hazing" isn't exactly some ultra demeaning or embarrassing type of punishment. I don't like "hazing" anymore than the next guy, but this crap is minor. They aren't forcing the guy to strip butt naked and run around the field singing kumbaya.

This is just another example of why Dez Bryant has been and seemingly always will be a loser. He is a punk kid that thinks he is bigger than the game of football and thinks he is God's gift to the gridiron.

Dutchrudder
07-27-2010, 10:31 AM
One of the hazing traditions that a lot of teams do is going to a nice restaurant and racking up a HUGE tab, then make the rookie pay for it. I recall one report of a Chargers rookie getting stuck with a $13,000 bill for one dinner. I think he refused to pay for it too, not sure how that turned out, but it sound ridiculous to me.

Rey
07-27-2010, 10:37 AM
I agree a ton with many of your individual statements on the issue, but the bold is why I believe the way I believe. Carrying a veteran's pads, getting your head shaved, etc. is not the equivalent of having someone wax your ass hair.

What you guys are calling "hazing" isn't exactly some ultra demeaning or embarrassing type of punishment. I don't like "hazing anymore than the next guy, but this crap is minor. They aren't forcing the guy to strip butt naked and run around the field singing kumbaya.

This is just another example of why Dez Bryant has been and seemingly always will be a loser. He is a punk kid that thinks he is bigger than the game of football and thinks he is God's gift to the gridiron.

To me, carrying someones pads can make you someones biatch, or it can make you a nice guy going with the flow. I don't know the relationship between Roy and Dez, but if Roy is coming off like a jack ass trying to make this guy carry his pads then I probably would react the same way...Like dude, I'm not your flunky. If it's good nature-like ribbing that's different...But with the situation being as it is with a young Bryant being drafted and an over paid, under productive Williams trying to keep his career alive, I'm going to bet that William was being a little jack asshish. If so, I can see how Dez would have felt slightly embarrassed...They are in front of a lot of people and Williams is trying to make him his *****.

But my point about the waxing hair was that everyone has different comfort levels. Some people may actually go along with stripping naked and singing Kumbaya. I have known plenty of people who would have done that if it was required of them to join some kind of club. In fact, I bet they would wax ass hair too. But I wouldn't.

If you are ok with it, do it. If not, I'm a firm believer in not being afraid to say no.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2010, 10:58 AM
The difference between Bryant and Cushing, if Cushing was guaranteed a team trip to the Super Bowl, he'd be out there at Sally's buying a year's supply of heatable wax for the entire entire team.:pirate:

drs23
07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm all for positive-minded traditions, many of which you named off.

I'm all about those.

Tell ya' what, I had a thought a few hours ago. I'd be cool with Dez Bryant ignoring Roy Williams and walking straight over to some other Cowboys player and picking up someone else's pads and carrying them. Or is this about Roy needing to get over on Dez? Like someone else said, maybe Roy should start worrying about on-the-job skills.
Like I said: I'm amazed by all the man-made rules and views on this thing. Whatever happened to a man being able to stand up for what he thinks is right, and being honored for it? Dez didn't skip a meeting. He didn't disgrace anybody or anything. I'm having a hard time seeing how people can continue to seek out a villain in the guy. It's what we're doin' in this country, though: We got to find a villain. A BP villain. An economy villain--Is it Bush or is it Obama? A LeBron-to-Miami villain.

There's a lot bigger fish to fry than someone refusing to carry an overrated Cowboys WR's pads. But I understand why Roy would want him to carry his pads, since Roy can't hold onto a football on Sundays. He probably drops the pads, too. Good thing those pads are strapped on to his body, huh? He'd drop them all day long if they weren't.

^^^^Now this I can agree with. Especially the bolded.

Section516
07-27-2010, 12:58 PM
N ANTONIO -- Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant says he never expected his refusal to carry Roy Williams' shoulder pads to become such a big issue.

And the Cowboys' first-round pick says he didn't know that rookies carrying the pads of veterans after practice was a long-standing ritual.

Bryant says he told Williams that if he had known the situation was going to turn out like this, the rookie would have carried all of Williams' equipment. Bryant says he's trying to do the right things.

While signing autographs Tuesday with fans shouting their support for him, Bryant insisted everything is fine between him and Williams, and all his teammates.

Bryant says he has no problem with another rookie tradition of paying for meals.

ESPN.com

b0ng
07-27-2010, 01:01 PM
That's a lot of damn words about a guy who is unwilling to carry another players pads.

dc_txtech
07-27-2010, 01:29 PM
One of the hazing traditions that a lot of teams do is going to a nice restaurant and racking up a HUGE tab, then make the rookie pay for it. I recall one report of a Chargers rookie getting stuck with a $13,000 bill for one dinner. I think he refused to pay for it too, not sure how that turned out, but it sound ridiculous to me.

I didn't see it posted anywhere but I saw Roy Williams on ESPN say that he was going to be extra hungry when Bryant has to take the team out to dinner.

“He wants to concentrate on football, and we’re going to let him concentrate on football. But when we go out to eat, I’m going to be a little bit more hungry and thirsty.”

http://oklahomastate.scout.com/2/986767.html

Vinnie
07-27-2010, 01:36 PM
N ANTONIO -- Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant says he never expected his refusal to carry Roy Williams' shoulder pads to become such a big issue.

And the Cowboys' first-round pick says he didn't know that rookies carrying the pads of veterans after practice was a long-standing ritual.
Bryant says he told Williams that if he had known the situation was going to turn out like this, the rookie would have carried all of Williams' equipment. Bryant says he's trying to do the right things.

While signing autographs Tuesday with fans shouting their support for him, Bryant insisted everything is fine between him and Williams, and all his teammates.

Bryant says he has no problem with another rookie tradition of paying for meals.

ESPN.com

Dumbass

Hardcore Texan
07-27-2010, 01:39 PM
It's probably because his mom was a prostitute that did drugs. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71556&highlight=Bryant)

:jk:

To me, this is not hazing, anyone that's been through some real hazing knows that, this about "rite of passage", "paying homage to the older guys", etc. It's not bullying either. It's about inclusion really.....and all you need to do is listen to every NFL analyst that was formerly a NFL player. There the ones that know more than anyone else.

Some of the other hazing and bullying mentioned in this thread, I agree with those being absolutely wrong but let's not put somthing as silly as this up there with the more serious stuff. We are talking about carrying someone's pads, it seems like to me he has to big of an ego to suck it up.

He needs to get over himself.

False Start
07-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Dumbass

Couldn't have said it better.

Rey
07-27-2010, 01:44 PM
There is no way that he didn't know he'd be "messed with" and asked to do things as a rookie.

scourge
07-27-2010, 01:58 PM

The guy you are referring to was Ryan Leaf. By all accounts his teammates had little respect for him. Not saying that is all from that instance, but from a series of events that showed he was trying to fit in at all.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
This is how I figured it would evolve............at least with this FIRST controversy he has generated (and there will be more........many more). Someone sat his dumb ass down and "explained" the situation. The problem, a person like Bryant can't abstract to the next potential "situation."

scourge
07-27-2010, 02:01 PM
It's probably because his mom was a prostitute that did drugs. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71556&highlight=Bryant)

:jk:

To me, this is not hazing, anyone that's been through some real hazing knows that, this about "rite of passage", "paying homage to the older guys", etc. It's not bullying either. It's about inclusion really.....and all you need to do is listen to every NFL analyst that was formerly a NFL player. There the ones that know more than anyone else.

Some of the other hazing and bullying mentioned in this thread, I agree with those being absolutely wrong but let's not put somthing as silly as this up there with the more serious stuff. We are talking about carrying someone's pads, it seems like to me he has to big of an ego to suck it up.

He needs to get over himself.

Same thing I've been saying all along. There are differences, and what he's being asked of is far from extreme or insulting.

Texan4Ever
07-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Hazing has been going on in the NFL for a long time and as long as its not like the frat boy stuff then it should be okay. As for Roy Williams, he is a *****. Williams has not lived up to his expectations so its obvious even a rookie wouldn't want to carry his pads.

Hell if I were an equipment manager, I wouldn't even carry his pads but that's just me...

GP
07-27-2010, 02:59 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of dot-connecting here that's beyond me. Thank you for pointing that out.

Why is there this intense level of hatred for the guy? It really is disturbing. People on here are actively rooting for this guy to suck and to be found as a wussy and cancer. I just don't get it.

It just makes me root FOR him all the more. I have a feeling the guy is going to go about his business, do his job on the field, and Roy Williams will be a tiny little footnote at the end of it all. And that's what Rey was theorizing, which I also can see going on: Roy Williams is scared, and he's pushing the envelope on this thing for personal reasons....NOT for tradition reasons.

I have a feeling, and this is just me, that Dez Bryant would have picked up Michael Irvin's pads in a heartbeat. It would have been an honor, seeing as how Irvin is one of the best and most talented WRs to ever play the game.

But Roy Williams? LOL. If Dez refused because he knows this is a dog-eat-dog world and he's wearing milk bone underwear, then good for him. They're teammates, but positional battles remain. This is, after all, a freaking JOB.

GP
07-27-2010, 03:06 PM
LOL. Dez should make Roy a wager.

"At the end of the season, let's see who has better stats. And whoever wins the stats battle gets his pads carried next training camp." Catches, drops, yards, TDs, and YAC. Win three categories and you win the bet.

Let's stop the posturing and make it serious. That'd be my response to Roy if I were Dez Bryant. Put your pads where your mouth is.

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 03:07 PM
To me, carrying someones pads can make you someones biatch, or it can make you a nice guy going with the flow. I don't know the relationship between Roy and Dez, but if Roy is coming off like a jack ass trying to make this guy carry his pads then I probably would react the same way...Like dude, I'm not your flunky. If it's good nature-like ribbing that's different...But with the situation being as it is with a young Bryant being drafted and an over paid, under productive Williams trying to keep his career alive, I'm going to bet that William was being a little jack asshish. If so, I can see how Dez would have felt slightly embarrassed...They are in front of a lot of people and Williams is trying to make him his *****.

But my point about the waxing hair was that everyone has different comfort levels. Some people may actually go along with stripping naked and singing Kumbaya. I have known plenty of people who would have done that if it was required of them to join some kind of club. In fact, I bet they would wax ass hair too. But I wouldn't.

If you are ok with it, do it. If not, I'm a firm believer in not being afraid to say no.

He'll really be somebody's ***** when a few of the veteran "Big Nasties" tape his ass to the goal post.

Besides that he looks like a little prima donna ***** now.

Geez... Y'all should see what they in baseball to the rookies. Way more humiliating.

Pirates hazing:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2007/09/pirate-rookie-hazing.jpg

Padres hazing:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/28900/padres_rookie_hooters_hazing3.jpg

Astros hazing:

http://slanchreport.com/images/stories/galleries/astroshazing/astros-rookies-1.jpg

Notice, they're all laughing or at least smiling. You know why???

They don't take themselves that seriously and they have fun with it.

ChampionTexan
07-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeah, there's a lot of dot-connecting here that's beyond me. Thank you for pointing that out.

Why is there this intense level of hatred for the guy? It really is disturbing. People on here are actively rooting for this guy to suck and to be found as a wussy and cancer. I just don't get it.

Really? I mean you really don't get it? I mean - c'mon, you may not agree with it, but please don't tell me you don't get it.

Because it's the Cowboys!

There's a large group of fans who will jump all over everything that might indicate a problem in Jerry's world. There's also a large group of fans that cling on every minute detail that hints at success for the Cowboys.

The fact this board contains an unusually large concentration of the former type of fans just amplifies the level of attention this gets.

dc_txtech
07-27-2010, 03:11 PM

I don't know that I would describe it as an intense level of hatred, but the guy is a Cowboy and therefore is going to be hated by Texans fans. Not sure what's so hard to get about that. Why would we root for him to have a great career?

GP
07-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Seems weird that the hazing you pictured revolves around making them dress as females or gays. What's that communicating?

I still don't get it. Some things are funny, organized degradation by making someone pose as an exploited Hooters waitress or homosexual isn't.

This is the sort of stuff that was cool in the 1980s, along with smoking in the workplace at your desk and other things that just needed to be retired.

I didn't see anybody with blackface on. How did African-Americans escape the menu of hazing possibilities? Because it's wrong, that's why, and because most pro athletes are African-American. But few are gay. None of the male athletes are women, so it's cool to make guys dress like Hooters waitresses. By the way, this guy ate at a Hooters when I was in college. And has since decided that I can't (in good conscience) eat there anymore. Great food, don't get me wrong, but they have some of the most appalling harassment issues because of the nature of their business. Now, I know I am treading on thin ice with certain people on this subject. It's just my opinion.

As much as I detest Roy Williams, I wouldn't call him a lady. That's an insult to ladies.

JB
07-27-2010, 03:22 PM

It just makes me root FOR him all the more. I have a feeling the guy is going to go about his business, do his job on the field, and Roy Williams will be a tiny little footnote at the end of it all. And that's what Rey was theorizing, which I also can see going on: Roy Williams is scared, and he's pushing the envelope on this thing for personal reasons....NOT for tradition reasons.

I have a feeling, and this is just me, that Dez Bryant would have picked up Michael Irvin's pads in a heartbeat. It would have been an honor, seeing as how Irvin is one of the best and most talented WRs to ever play the game.

But Roy Williams? LOL. If Dez refused because he knows this is a dog-eat-dog world and he's wearing milk bone underwear, then good for him. They're teammates, but positional battles remain. This is, after all, a freaking JOB.

Roy Williams really doesn't have anything to do with it. What would you be saying if it was Miles Austin whose pads he refused to carry?

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Seems weird that the hazing you pictured revolves around making them dress as females or gays. What's that communicating?

I still don't get it. Some things are funny, organized degradation by making someone pose as an exploited Hooters waitress or homosexual isn't.

This is the sort of stuff that was cool in the 1980s, along with smoking in the workplace at your desk and other things that just needed to be retired.

I didn't see anybody with blackface on. How did African-Americans escape the menu of hazing possibilities? Because it's wrong, that's why, and because most pro athletes are African-American. But few are gay. None of the male athletes are women, so it's cool to make guys dress like Hooters waitresses. By the way, this guy ate at a Hooters when I was in college. And has since decided that I can't (in good conscience) eat there anymore. Great food, don't get me wrong, but they have some of the most appalling harassment issues because of the nature of their business. Now, I know I am treading on thin ice with certain people on this subject. It's just my opinion.

As much as I detest Roy Williams, I wouldn't call him a lady. That's an insult to ladies.

I'll tell ya what. You continue to take yourself so seriously while Major League Baseball and the National Football League continue with their traditions. It's no different then when I was a senior, it was tradition to tape Freshman to the goal posts. Oh yeah and coach would continue practice while the fish was taped up. :truck:

Geeeez. Some people have no sense of humor.

GP
07-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Really? I mean you really don't get it? I mean - c'mon, you may not agree with it, but please don't tell me you don't get it.

Because it's the Cowboys!

There's a large group of fans who will jump all over everything that might indicate problem in Jerry's world. There's also a large group of fans that cling on every minute detail that hints at success for the Cowboys.

The fact this board contains an unusually large concentration of the former type of fans just amplifies the level of attention this gets.

I guess I see Dez Bryant as a person first. He was chosen by the Cowboys. Him doing awesome as a Cowboy has little impact on my team and my affiliation with the Texans.

I can't root for Romo because I think he's a flake. He's all over the place. One second he's helping someone change a flat tire, the next second he's on vacation with a celebrity before a playoff game. He thinks everything he says in a pre-or-post-game interview is like something Ghandi would have said--He thinks he's deep, in other words. Have never seen what makes him valuable to the Cowboys. He's a safer version of Quincy Carter, with slightly better passing skills.

I can't root for Roy Williams, either, because he also is just on his own planet. He defies logic and reasoning.

Other than those two guys, I really can't find a fault with the Cowboys. They no longer have the residue of the Jimmy Johnson days on them. And let me tell you, I really detested that whole era of Cowboys football. Maybe Aikman and Novacek escaped my wrath. But nobody else did.

Having said all of that, if we play them and we don't win...I will be angry. Cowboys and Titans are two MUST WINS (not Must Play Well, btw) for me. Outside of that, I can watch a few quarters of Cowboys football if I am interested to see if Dez Bryant takes his college game to the next level. It's a story line I want to follow, since I watched him go beast in the Big 12.

GP
07-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Roy Williams really doesn't have anything to do with it. What would you be saying if it was Miles Austin whose pads he refused to carry?

I'd be singing a different tune. To me, it does matter.

I can carry a water pail for someone I respect. No way I do that for a turd. Never.

You can't have your character and self-worth taken away from you. You have to give it away.

Choices, choices, choices. They are a bugger aren't they?

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 03:33 PM
I guess I see Dez Bryant as a person first. He was chosen by the Cowboys. Him doing awesome as a Cowboy has little impact on my team and my affiliation with the Texans.

Really?? I see him as a liar. :choke:

GP
07-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I'll tell ya what. You continue to take yourself so seriously while Major League Baseball and the National Football League continue with their traditions. It's no different then when I was a senior, it was tradition to tape Freshman to the goal posts. Oh yeah and coach would continue practice while the fish was taped up. :truck:

Geeeez. Some people have no sense of humor.

Bill, I will repeat: I know I am treading on thin ice by having my opinion.

I'm not a "Eat this crap sandwich and LIKE IT" guy. That's just how I roll. I laugh at myself all the time. In fact, it's one of my best traits--Because I generally believe that we ought to find humor in the things we do.

But a guy saying "No" should not be made out to be scum of the earth. I'd rather know the guy next to me would take a bullet for me, rather than knowing that the guy next me can dress up like a girl and get laughed at.

The Roy Williams I watched (in games, and in media interviews on TV) is not a guy that I think should have his pads carried. Being a Cowboys WR doesn't automatically make Roy someone who should have his pads carried. I reserve that stuff for guys who play a good game out there on the field. Miles Austin is 10-times the receiver Roy Williams is, and I'd wager good money that he's 10-times a better off-the-field person than Roy Williams, as well.

Dez isn't dense. I think he knows when he's being played and when he's not.

GP
07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Really?? I see him as a liar. :choke:

I see him as someone who grew up poor in spirit, without a family support system like I had, who wants to play pro football and has been royally deuced upon the majority of his life.

At the end of the day, what's my total emotional investment in hoping or finding out that he's scum? I don't see the red flags with this guy like there was when PacMan Jones was drafted by the Titans--Every single media outlet draft analyst was openly saying that the Titans were taking a high risk gamble on Jones.

So Dez likes Nike shoes better. So what.

So he doesn't want to be subservient to Roy Williams. LOL, smart move IMO.

He stood up for the honor of his mother when he was put on full blast at the combine. He risked draft position to let a random guy know that that crap won't be tolerated, not even by a yet-to-be-drafted player out of OSU.

I think he's navigating the waters better than many other high profile draft choices who had rap sheets that could fit onto two rolls of toilet paper. When he pulls Vince Young/Ray Lewis/Pacman Jones/Ben Roethlisberger/Michael Vick stuff...then I'll consider switching my opinion of him. Only then.

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
I see him as someone who grew up poor in spirit, without a family support system like I had, who wants to play pro football and has been royally deuced upon the majority of his life.

At the end of the day, what's my total emotional investment in hoping or finding out that he's scum? I don't see the red flags with this guy like there was when PacMan Jones was drafted by the Titans--Every single media outlet draft analyst was openly saying that the Titans were taking a high risk gamble on Jones.

So Dez likes Nike shoes better. So what.

So he doesn't want to be subservient to Roy Williams. LOL, smart move IMO.

He stood up for the honor of his mother when he was put on full blast at the combine. He risked draft position to let a random guy know that that crap won't be tolerated, not even by a yet-to-be-drafted player out of OSU.

I think he's navigating the waters better than many other high profile draft choices who had rap sheets that could fit onto two rolls of toilet paper. When he pulls Vince Young/Ray Lewis/Pacman Jones/Ben Roethlisberger/Michael Vick stuff...then I'll consider switching my opinion of him. Only then.

**** 'em!! He lied. Add to that that he thinks he's bigger than the game itself.

Roy Williams may have been a disappointment for the Cowboys last season, but he's been around for a few years. Dez hasn't played a down yet.

Double Barrel
07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Eric Winston was on Rome today and when asked, he basically said that while he doesn't condone or participate in hazing, and he thinks it's admirable for a guy to make a stand, he asked if this issue was really where Bryant wanted to make a stand?

He elaborated that making these kind of waves will not endear someone to their teammates, and on a football field, those memories can often be the difference between having someone's back or not.

I can understand the perspective. While I'm not a joiner and avoid the whole hazing thing, I do think I'd be carrying some pads if I was making millions and trying to fit into my new team's chemistry. I'd make a stand if it came to getting my nads shaved with Nair or something like that. Bryant just has a bad judgment on when and where is a good point to make his stand.

gary
07-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Here is my take. Roy is a tool first off. I would have just carried the pads maybe not for Roy but for someone else. It would just be out of pure respect for the old timers or whatever. This should not even be as big a story as it is. I'm not all for hazing on the job site and feel this whole idea should go away but Dez should just suck it up and be a man untill that time comes. The vets may still have fun in any sport but I think everyone should be included in the hazing and not just rookies. After a hard day at work I think it's not a bad idea for everyone to sit, relax, and really enjoy it all in order to take their mind off the game for awhile. Everyone on the team is a Cowboy and aught too be treated like one but a lot of players take their jobs very seriously and prefer to be left alone after having a bad game or practice and they should be. On the other hand though you have to take all of the hazing with a grain of salt though and remember this too will pass and just do it because it won't last forever. And the following season when your time has come I am sure you'll enjoy doing the same exact thing to your new teamates I am sure.

Hardcore Texan
07-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Just listen to the vets or retired players on the issue, that's all we need to know. They have been there and know more about it than those that haven't.

GP
07-27-2010, 04:00 PM
We need Hazing Consultants then.

"Hello, sir, I am Eduardo...your assigned Hazing Consultant. Now, let me just say that I know you're new to the pro leagues here. Let me show you a brief video on hazing. You might be surprised as to what forms of hazing are acceptable and what forms are never acceptable. Yes, the decision to surrender yourself to the whims of your peers is a difficult one. But here at Team A we have a comprehensive Hazing Protocol Program that allows you to pre-select the forms of hazing you are most comfortable with. In addition, their is a safe word...such as "Vancouver!" or any other word you prefer...that you can use to opt out of any hazing situation you find uncomfortable. Each year, the players have a meeting and vote on what forms of hazing are optional and what forms are mandatory. Your well-being is important to us all, and you will be allowed to have input during the next off-season, too! Just think, you too can be very involved in the future hazing of new rookies in 2011...that is, if there IS a season in 2011!"

[Watches video, with Eduardo, and video ends]

"Well, rookie, what do you think? I know that was a rather intense and long presentation to endure. What are your questions? Have you thought about designating a friend or family member to make your hazing selection decisions FOR you in the case you have suffered an extreme concussion and are unable to make sound decisions? By the way, our policy is to put concussed players in a dark mechanical closet and make them stand for the duration of a practice. Standard procedure, obviously."

-------------

I kid, I kid. It was fun just to write a script about it. Good times.

GP
07-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Which is worse for your team:

1. Dez Bryant not carrying Roy Williams' pads

2. Terrence Cody, Ravens rookie, failing a basic physical test because he's out of shape and couldn't get fit for practice.

Which is worse for your team:

1. Dez Bryant not carrying Roy Williams' pads

2. Being suspended 1 or more games of the regular season for violating league rules on conduct (Ask the Steelers which one is worse for the team)

BTW, I see a lot of people saying Dez needs to suck it up and move on. I don't see anything pointing to Dez as being someone who ran off the field in tears. It's not like he got boo'd by his own fans, got depressed, and took off in his car with a loaded pistol in the car and had to be coaxed into returning to the team. He just told Roy Williams "No." The unmitigated gall!

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2010, 05:08 PM
"Distraction" has an insidious way of eventually undermining the focus of even the best of teams. How many people have excused TO over the years, pointing out that he hasn't been caught doing drugs or participating in criminal activity?

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Dez Bryant says he didn't know about tradition
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 27, 2010 1:31 PM ET

We should have known that Roy Williams' comments wouldn't have the last word about Dez Bryant not carrying his pads.

After all, Bryant needed to speak on the matter before we could begin to forget this mini-controversy with actual football news starting to pick up around the country.

Bryant said on Tuesday that he didn't know that rookies carrying the pads of veterans after practice was a long-standing ritual. (Hmmm.)

"I told Roy, if I knew that situation was going to turn out this big he could have walked in with his tights on," Bryant said.

Thankfully, that didn't happen and the Cowboys got an extra helper for all the difficult pads-carrying responsibilities. Jerry Jones' grandson helped Williams take off his pads today and he carried Dez Bryant's pads.

We'll be back later this afternoon with breaking news on what pads Terrence Cody carried off the field in Baltimore.

PFT: Dez Bryant says he didn't know about tradition (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/27/dez-bryant-says-he-didnt-know-about-tradition/)

Tailgate
07-27-2010, 05:50 PM

Because these are MAN sports. NFL Football generally is not a place for liberalism.

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Because these are MAN sports. NFL Football generally is not a place for liberalism.

Don't worry about GP, he already had his man card revoked once today! :spin:

ChampionTexan
07-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Don't worry about GP, he already had his man card revoked once today! :spin:

How in the hell did he get ever one in the first place?

GP - I kid, I kid (assuming of course you understand and agree with the concept).

Double Barrel
07-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Just listen to the vets or retired players on the issue, that's all we need to know. They have been there and know more about it than those that haven't.

Unless that retired player is Deacon Jones. He thinks that 99% of today's players are soft and a bunch of pansies. ;)

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2010, 06:52 PM
PFT: Dez Bryant says he didn't know about tradition (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/27/dez-bryant-says-he-didnt-know-about-tradition/)

Jerry Jones' grandson helped Williams take off his pads today and he carried Dez Bryant's pads.

Well, now I understand. It wasn't that Bryant didn't WANT to carry William's pads. After trying to carry his own pads and finding that they were too heavy for him to handle, he wasn't about to embarrass himself trying to carry William's heavy ass pads. Yup, now it's clear.......crystal clear.:spin:

GP
07-27-2010, 08:07 PM

It's not liberalism to stand up for yourself and refuse to join in with what the in-crowd is doing. Quite the opposite, actually.

Dez punked a punker. No big scene, no running off the field in tears, no fight, no profanity-laced tirade where he shouts down everyone within earshot.

He just said "No." Looks like a good, MANLY move to me.

JB
07-27-2010, 08:09 PM
It's not liberalism to stand up for yourself and refuse to join in with what the in-crowd is doing. Quite the opposite, actually.

Dez punked a punker. No big scene, no running off the field in tears, no fight. He just said "No." Looks like a good, MANLY move to me.

You just can't get past the Roy Williams bit. Has nothing to do with Roy Williams, but you keep ignoring this.

GP
07-27-2010, 08:11 PM
How in the hell did he get ever one in the first place?

GP - I kid, I kid (assuming of course you understand and agree with the concept).

Ha ha. 1000 out-of-work comedians and I'm stuck with you.

My man card was issued to me by none other than Chuck Norris himself. In fact, he tore his man card up and asked me to issue him his new man card because he said it would mean more if issued by GP.

Neener, neener, ChampTexan! :neener:

Dwade
07-27-2010, 08:16 PM
You just can't get past the Roy Williams bit. Has nothing to do with Roy Williams, but you keep ignoring this.

Roy Williams is the one that tried to make him do it.

If you were hired at a company and you were competing for a promotion with another person who had been at the company for a few years, would you fetch his coffee or carry his briefcase for him just because he had been with the company longer?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

GP
07-27-2010, 08:17 PM

The same as when I say this has nothing to do with how "everyone else has done this, why doesn't Dez just do it too."

It's the end of life as we know it because a grown man didn't play reindeer games like a good little soldier.

Dez said "No" and the haters are making a bigger scene than one man who said one word: "No." I fail to see the drama, the big scene, the painful display of arrogance and dishonoring of Roy Williams nor any other Cowboys player past or present.

He's in hot water because people want him to be. I have no interest in chasing after phantom transgressions. It's swamp gas.

JB
07-27-2010, 08:23 PM

If you were hired at a company and you were competing for a promotion with another person who had been at the company for a few years, would you fetch his coffee or carry his briefcase for him just because he had been with the company longer?

I sure as hell wouldn't.

Have you ever been part of any kind of team?

It shows.

GP
07-27-2010, 08:23 PM

I sure as hell wouldn't.

That's the other component of this. I agree.

Yeah, I'm going to lick the shoe soles of the person whose status on the team is threatened by my mere presence. I should just "get along" for my own good.

Oh I wish he would have refused to carry Roy Williams' pads and instead casually walked over and carried Austin's pads. With no hint of malice on his face, and no comments as he's walking of the field. Just pick 'em up and walk off. As a way to say "If I am going to dignify this task, I'm carrying the pads of someone I want to emulate on the field. Miles Austin."

Now THAT would have been classic curb-stomp to the ego of Williams. Everyone would have been hooting and hollering, and laughing about it. It would have made Bryant an instant "In" man. Because that would have been so ballsy that not even Roy Williams could have done anything, lest he show that it bothers him because it might show his insecurity even more.

GP
07-27-2010, 08:24 PM

It shows.

Aw, come on now. You've moved (IMO) beyond making arguments and now into the phase of personal attacks.

JB
07-27-2010, 08:29 PM
The same as when I say this has nothing to do with how "everyone else has done this, why doesn't Dez just do it too."

It's the end of life as we know it because a grown man didn't play reindeer games like a good little soldier.

Dez said "No" and the haters are making a bigger scene than one man who said one word: "No." I fail to see the drama, the big scene, the painful display of arrogance and dishonoring of Roy Williams nor any other Cowboys player past or present.

He's in hot water because people want him to be. I have no interest in chasing after phantom transgressions. It's swamp gas.

Sorry GP. I might be drunk, but I don't get what you are saying at all. I don't think he is in any kind of "hot water". I just don't think he gets the comradery bit.

GP
07-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Sorry GP. I might be drunk, but I don't get what you are saying at all. I don't think he is in any kind of "hot water". I just don't think he gets the comradery bit.

LOL. Drink some hot coffee.

Time will tell. I have a feeling he's going to make catches and easily climb towards WR 2 status behind Miles Austin by the end of the season. I think Roy Williams has cracked under the pressure of how much was given up by Jerry Jones to get him out of Detroit.

The drafting of Dez Bryant, IMO, probably sent Williams over the edge into a free fall at Ego Canyon.

JB
07-27-2010, 08:45 PM
LOL. Drink some hot coffee.

Time will tell. I have a feeling he's going to make catches and easily climb towards WR 2 status behind Miles Austin by the end of the season. I think Roy Williams has cracked under the pressure of how much was given up by Jerry Jones to get him out of Detroit.

The drafting of Dez Bryant, IMO, probably sent Williams over the edge into a free fall at Ego Canyon.

That could be. And it could very well be that Bryant turns into another Carlos Rogers or Mike Williams. Remember, Roy tore up the Big 12 also, and was very highly regarding coming out. And he did not skip his final year in college.

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Unless that retired player is Deacon Jones. He thinks that 99% of today's players are soft and a bunch of pansies. ;)

FTD Florist pitchman / Little House on the Prairie actor, Merlin Olson, thinks today's players are soft. Merlin is rolling over in his grave.

Kaiser Toro
07-27-2010, 09:15 PM
FWIW

Sports hazing incidents (http://espn.go.com/otl/hazing/list.html)

Considering that an Alfred University survey found that 80 percent of college athletes had been hazed, the vast majority of hazing incidents -- on the high school, college and pro levels -- go unreported. Nonetheless, incidents that eventually gain the attention of the news media have increased steadily since 1980, when the abuse of athletes by athletes first began to receive public attention.

Below is a list, compiled by ESPN.com with the help of hazing authority Hank Nuwer, of 68 alleged and confirmed incidents on the high school, college and professional levels that received media attention. Most situations came to light through the police or court system.

Not included in the list are the deaths and injuries involving athletes who were hazed during fraternity initations (including fraternities dominated by fellow athletes), and more minor incidents, such Los Angeles Dodgers veterans shredding the clothes of rookie Chan Ho Park.

How does one become a hazing authority?

JB
07-27-2010, 09:19 PM
FWIW

Sports hazing incidents (http://espn.go.com/otl/hazing/list.html)

By writing a bs paper and declaring yourself an expert.

Lucky
07-27-2010, 09:20 PM
FWIW

You really don't want to know.

http://media.amctv.com/photo-gallery/kevinbacon/animal_house_760.jpg

Kaiser Toro
07-27-2010, 09:22 PM
By writing a bs paper and declaring yourself an expert.

I was scouting in Varna, Bulgaria and a Croatian runner wanted to exchange business cards. We did and his title was, Expert.

Kaiser Toro
07-27-2010, 09:24 PM
You really don't want to know.

http://www.stephenfurst.com/gallery/pics/furst80.jpg

GP
07-28-2010, 09:05 AM
That could be. And it could very well be that Bryant turns into another Carlos Rogers or Mike Williams. Remember, Roy tore up the Big 12 also, and was very highly regarding coming out. And he did not skip his final year in college.

I watched Roy Williams play in the Big 12.

I watched Dez Bryant play in the Big 12.

IMO, Dez Bryant is better. And will be the better (of the two) in the NFL. I have no proof, obviously, but it's just a feeling based on watching both guys play in college.

So I can't wait to see how this all unfolds. As an NFL fan, I am glad that this little incident between the two guys happened. It makes for a better story line throughout the season. Outside of rooting for my Texans, it's little things like the competition between Williams-Bryant that make me excited about watching NFL each season.

HoustonFrog
07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Glad I was in Flagstaff for some family fun during all this :toast2:

gtexan02
07-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Carrying someones pads is hazing?

News to me

TimeKiller
07-28-2010, 11:03 AM

News to me

Hahahaha yeah. Exactly.

In friggin high school drumline they locked my freshman ass in a black tenor box and set me outside in the 100+ degree heat for a couple minutes. I was ready to kick some ass but the life was damn near sucked out of me, I could barely walk back inside, let alone deal fisticuffs. That was like being way, way too close to a fire for way, way too long. I honestly drank about 2 gallons of water in the following half hour.

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2010, 11:08 AM

News to me

When you're an arrogant rookie asswipe, I suppose your team mates making suggestions and your coaches correcting you is hazing.

gtexan02
07-28-2010, 11:11 AM
When you're an arrogant rookie asswipe, I suppose your team mates making suggestions and your coaches correcting you is hazing.

Sounds about right.

If this is hazing, I guess Ive been hazed a LOT in my life.

My parents hazed me all the time. Something about being "part of a family"

"Standing up" to real hazing, I can respect. Refusing to carry some pads from the field to the equipment room is just silly

Dwade
07-28-2010, 07:54 PM

It shows.

Yes, I have. Nobody tried to pull that hazing crap on me, sure I saw other freshman getting put in trash cans but those were the ones that nobody respected because they weren't any good. My teammates respected me because I performed on the court.

rmartin65
07-28-2010, 08:37 PM
Carrying pads is not hazing. I played hockey, and saw some hazing. I took no part in it (as I was not hazed myself), and I did stop what I could, but I saw it happen. Carrying pads is a right of passage. Same with buying dinner or stupid haircuts.

JB
07-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Yes, I have. Nobody tried to pull that hazing crap on me, sure I saw other freshman getting put in trash cans but those were the ones that nobody respected because they weren't any good. My teammates respected me because I performed on the court.

I guess it's good that you think so highly of yourself...:rolleyes:

GP
07-28-2010, 08:39 PM

Wait a second, you mean that SOMEHOW in SOME WAY hazing is not exactly being carried out in a fair and consistent manner? Shocking.

I thought hazing was applied equally, fairly, and was to be as American as a hot dog at a baseball game or sparklers on the fourth of July?

It seems there are loopholes.

1. You are so good at what you do, that nobody cares to try and make YOU look like a clown. Instead, the hazers move onto easier prey. No need in ruffling the feathers of the team star. In fact, it's probably the star players who are the ring leaders in some cases. Celebrity status has its privileges. Seniority also means you're exempt from hazing--You did your time, after all.

2. You flat out refuse to play along, no matter your star status or lack thereof. Yeah, you might get beaten up, or you might get ostracized, but you stuck to your guns. Heck, you might get left alone and the hazers move onto other prey.

Forget the AZ immigration law! We need some hazing enforcement in this country. How are players going to be a part of a team if they are slipping through the cracks?

Some of you are very mad at me right now. I'm just yanking your chain, that's all. Just trying to provoke people to entertain a different take via satire.

Texan_Bill
07-28-2010, 09:55 PM

I sure as hell wouldn't.

:spit: Are you serious?? What a ****ing joke!! AWESOME!!! I haven't seen a sense of humor like this in a long time!!!

Ummmm, last time I checked, Roy Williams has actually played in the NFL. Meanwhile, the liar, errrrrrrrrrrrrr Dezzie hasn't played a down...

Thanks for playing............ amateur !!! I needed a good laugh.

Texan_Bill
07-28-2010, 09:57 PM

WOW!!! That's awesome! I hope that HCC or HBU career worked out well for you!!

rmartin65
07-28-2010, 10:36 PM
WOW!!! That's awesome! I hope that HCC or HBU career worked out well for you!!

You realize you are arguing with the Dwayne Wade, dont you? Think about it, it all adds up.

JB
07-28-2010, 10:41 PM
You realize you are arguing with the Dwayne Wade, dont you? Think about it, it all adds up.

:lol:

Texan_Bill
07-28-2010, 10:47 PM

:lol:

:hides: My bad... D-Wade, Bosh and Queen LeBitch will kick my ass!!!

HOU-TEX
07-29-2010, 08:25 AM
:hides: My bad... D-Wade, Bosh and Queen LeBitch will kick my ass!!!

Nah, but they'll slap you silly.

GP
07-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Ummmm, last time I checked, Roy Williams has actually played in the NFL.

Technically, Roy Williams HAS played in the NFL. Correct.

Frankly, he hasn't done so hot with the Cowboys. At least not in terms of what was given up, to Detroit, to get him. He played better on a crappy Lions team than he has on the mighty more-improved Cowboys.

Prediction: Roy Williams chokes this season, under the pressure of the past (what was given up to acquire him) and under the pressure of the present (the failed attempt to "get one over" on Dez Bryant, the guy who was drafted by Jerry Jones to do the job Roy Williams can't get done).

Roy should have sat that one out. He called down more pressure on himself, IMO. Should have chosen some undrafted free agent WR to haze. :lion:

HoustonFrog
07-29-2010, 10:16 AM
I haven't made a comment. Not sure what to say and these threads take on weird lives of their own. Here are some bullet points.

1) I was in a frat in college. I got hazed pretty badly in the late 80s. Stuff I won't put here. Carrying pads would have been a rest during those times. But it is a form of hazing, just a light form.

2) This has been going on for years so he probably should have gone along. He said he didn't know about it though and considering his background, I don't doubt that. But doing it would have been no biggie.

3) With #2 said, I don't mind that he he didn't do it. It's stupid. I think if this wasn't Dez or wasn't a "Cowgirl" many might change their tune and say that they liked having a guy have some attitude. Just an opinion from reading people here say that teams need people with an edge.(Surprisingly, I've seen just as many media members applaud the move)

4) From what I've read the guy is first to practice, last to leave and works his ass off.

5) I think this really is a non-issue. Boring off-season. Nothing to do with him being a Cowboy either. I actually agree with the thought that in this day and age the media makes small things big. It is why people like Kate Gosselin are still getting 15 minutes. In the 60s and 70s these guys were "colorful." If he pulls stunts during the season, ala TO, I'll be worried.

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2010, 10:23 AM
This preseason hype of Bryant smells of the same stuff Bush hype was made of. Or for that matter, Roy Williams enjoyed the same type of hype. When the chips are down during the regular season, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see Bryant disappear into semi-anonymity based on vanishing expectations due to ghostly forgettable performance.

Double Barrel
07-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Chuck Norris would never carry anyone's pads. :aggressive:

Only problem is that Dez Bryant ain't no Chuck Norris.

TexasBoY25
07-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Video on Dez and Roy about this issue..
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/21134540/vp/38445944#38445944

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Looks like the Girls are putting all their Man Love and marbles on Bryant, who is practicing strickly as the X receiver. I can hardly wait until our D DEZtroys his routes and his body.........oh yeah, and his shoulder pads.:)

El Tejano
07-30-2010, 04:01 PM
He didn't come here to carry anyones pads but he will carry my jock!!

Knockin The Piss Out of You,

Bernard Pollard

JB
07-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Karma?

Dez Bryant just hurt near end of practice, needed help off field....we're checking on it

Dez tangled up on next to last play. Got up but went back down. Needed help. Ankle? We will have video of the play on SportsCenter

Word with Cwboys is ankle but they'll tell us more around 5:45

WWJD
07-30-2010, 05:02 PM
He's ok. He is out there signing autographs and said he rolled his ankle.

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2010, 05:13 PM
Karma?

Got up..........went back down..........very likely ankle ligament tear and/or ankle fracture. Would not be surprised if we don't see him when we play the Girls.

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2010, 05:36 PM
He's ok. He is out there signing autographs and said he rolled his ankle.

Posted before I saw your post. But when you can't get back up vs. afraid to get back up, you think in terms of my previous post. If the ankle is properly wrapped/supported, you can still stand/walk.......and still have significant ankle ligament tear or an ankle fracture (stress or otherwise) which is not immediately diagnosed. An MRI will be necessary to better characterize his injury. Many times the MRI uncovers injuries not otherwise appreciated. Even a supposed simple ankle sprain can be a very limiting and nagging problem for an X receiver.

WWJD
07-30-2010, 06:08 PM
I just heard that streamed on the TICKET from Dallas. The guy said Dez was signing autographs and said he rolled his ankle. I wouldn't imagine he'd be walking around signing autographs if they thought he was hurt badly but I don't know.Maybe they told him to go out there and do what he wanted if he felt ok. Randy Galloway said it was a sprain.

JB
07-30-2010, 06:15 PM
The incident occurred on the second-to-last play of practice when Bryant went for a pass over the middle and collided with cornerback Orlando Scandrick. Bryant tried to get up and walk back to the huddle but couldn't stand on his feet and had to drop back to the ground where he was attended to by the training staff.

"Preliminary indications is Dez has an ankle sprain," head coach Wade Phillips said in his press conference immediately following practice. "We're checking further."

Bryant, who was seen standing on his own power in the locker room area after practice, will undergo an MRI Friday evening and will likely miss practice Saturday and possibly further than that. At this point, the Cowboys are hoping for a regular ankle sprain and not the dreaded high-ankle sprain, which can often keep players out 2-4 weeks.

Scandrick said he thought Bryant tweaked it a couple of days ago.

When asked if Bryant was bothered by an ankle injury before the collision on Friday, Phillips dismissed the notion. However, Scandrick said he noticed Bryant had tweaked his ankle two days earlier in a one-on-one drill

"I guess he just rolled his ankle. I batted the ball away, was competing for the ball," Scandrick said. "I think his ankle was already bothering him a little bit."

Link (http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=25492CE8-DA01-21BA-1A1D7E3278E9240C)

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Scandrick was quoted as saying he thought that Bryant's ankle was already bothering him before the hit.........not a good sign.
LINK (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/07/dez-bryant-injured-at-end-of-c.html)

What's even stranger to me is that no matter what the extent of the injury, even a "minor" rolled ankle, the very first measures taken are ice, compression and elevation for a minimum of 24-48 hours. Walking around/standing signing autographs???

The most common reason for major ankle injury following minor ankle injury is improper attention to the minor injury. Bryant could easily have suffered a "high ankle strain" and still be walking. No matter how it turns out, advising him not to take the above measures empirically is not wise.

JB
07-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Scandrick was quoted as saying he thought that Bryant's ankle was already bothering him before the hit.........not a good sign.
LINK (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/07/dez-bryant-injured-at-end-of-c.html)

What's even stranger to me is that no matter what the extent of the injury, even a "minor" rolled ankle, the very first measures taken are ice, compression and elevation for a minimum of 24-48 hours. Walking around/standing signing autographs???

The most common reason for major ankle injury following minor ankle injury is improper attention to the minor injury.

Yep, if this was a PR move to get him out there to reassure the fans, this might come back to bite them in the ass. If the MRI comes back negative, what does that say about Bryant?

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Yep, if this was a PR move to get him out there to reassure the fans, this might come back to bite them in the ass. If the MRI comes back negative, what does that say about Bryant?

See edit on my last post.

JB
07-30-2010, 06:47 PM
oops Dez worst than they thought.... Jerry says 4-to-6 weeks.

Link (https://twitter.com/mortreport)

If this is a high ankle sprain, his season could be pretty much done.

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Link (https://twitter.com/mortreport)

If this is a high ankle sprain, his season could be pretty much done.

This is much more along the lines of what my initial impressions have been. My guess, depending on whatever the final diagnosis, you will probably see him in a boot for 4-6 weeks........that is, if the ankle is stable. If the ankle demonstrates significant instability, surgery will be indicated. Either way, recurrent injury becomes an additional concern, even beyond recovery from this "episode."

JB
07-30-2010, 06:57 PM
This is much more along the lines of what my initial impressions have been. My guess, depending on whatever the final diagnosis, you will probably see him in a boot for 4-6 weeks........that is, if the ankle is stable. If the ankle demonstrates significant instability, surgery will be indicated. Either way, recurrent injury becomes an additional concern, even beyond recovery from this "episode."

For some reason this seems hauntingly familiar.

jaayteetx
07-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Karma is indeed a biaatch!

HoustonFrog
07-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Karma is indeed a biaatch!

So a guy deserves an injury because he doesn't carry a guys pads?It's stuff like this that makes fans like me cringe and mention P Envy. If the Boys don't matter than don't make stupid comments. Sorry, stuff like injury love or comments similar to it are just b.s. This is the second one. If a Texans WR got hurt do you think people in Dallas would be celebrating? No, because it doesn't matter and people shouldn't take joy in injuries. If you want to know why people have had a hard time jumping on board, it is this attitude.

As for the injury 4-6 weeks...basically preseason

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5424332

SAN ANTONIO -- Dallas Cowboys rookie receiver Dez Bryant will be sidelined the rest of training camp and perhaps for the entire preseason with a right high-ankle sprain.

After the team announced that its first-round pick will miss four to six weeks, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones questioned whether Bryant should have been participating so late in Friday's practice session.

Bryant was injured on the second-to-last play of practice in the Alamodome.

"It was really disappointing and it really causes you to ... ask what can you do, what can you do in practices that can mitigate some of the exposure to some of these injuries," Jones told ESPN's Chris Mortensen after watching footage of the injury. Jones did not attend Friday's practice.

Jones told Mortensen that Bryant might have been tired after a heavy workload, which included returning kickoffs and punts and running numerous routes with the first and second teams all week.

"The key thing is you ask yourself, 'Are we pushing him too hard; does it happen at the end of practice when the players are tired?' " said Jones, who added, "We all know now when you get a little tired you can get injured."

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2010, 09:04 PM
So a guy deserves an injury because he doesn't carry a guys pads?It's stuff like this that makes fans like me cringe and mention P Envy. If the Boys don't matter than don't make stupid comments. Sorry, stuff like injury love or comments similar to it are just b.s. This is the second one. If a Texans WR got hurt do you think people in Dallas would be celebrating? No, because it doesn't matter and people shouldn't take joy in injuries. If you want to know why people have had a hard time jumping on board, it is this attitude.

Not a fan of Bryant or the Girls. But not a fan of injuries being wished on any player.

GNTLEWOLF
07-30-2010, 09:11 PM

I basically hate the Cowboy's guts but i couldn't agree with your sentiment more. It's time Texans fans show some class. Rep

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Per HoustonFrog's link:

"The key thing is you ask yourself, 'Are we pushing him too hard; does it happen at the end of practice when the players are tired?'" said Jones, who added, "We all know now when you get a little tired you can get injured."

The number one cause of ankle injuries in players is inadequate conditioning.

At practice earlier this week, Bryant tweaked his ankle and missed one or two reps while getting it retaped.

It has been shown that ankle taping, with continued activity, is essentially worthless after 30 minutes. Once injured........rest.

Furthermore, it has been reported that

At the rookie mini-camp after the draft, Bryant suffered a minor ankle injury that kept him out of running post-practice sprints. He also missed part of the organized team activities with a strained hamstring.LINK (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/07/cowboys-dez-bryant-out-4-6-wee.html)

These are conditioning problems. Also, keep in mind that ankle joints have the highest recurrence rate of any joint injury. We are apparently already seeing the pattern occurring with Bryant.

HoustonFrog
07-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Not a fan of Bryant or the Girls. But not a fan of injuries being wished on any player.

Right. It's a minority but it makes me cringe. Appreciate the conditioning info CnD.

I basically hate the Cowboy's guts but i couldn't agree with your sentiment more. It's time Texans fans show some class. Rep

Again, there is plenty of class around here but I just had to express displeasure at the comment.:handshake:

CloakNNNdagger
07-31-2010, 08:23 AM
HoustonFrog,

Julius Jones, Anthony Henry, and Ken Hamlin are all names that you should be familiar with. Each sustained a high ankle sprain. Each were initially underestimated as to expected return to action...........and all were plagued with significantly compromised performance once they did make their reappearance.

If you look a little deeper into the “conditioning” factor with Bryant, there may be a pattern to reinforce this feeling. You may remember :

Bryant expected to return Wednesday (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5219826)
Updated: May 25, 2010, 8:37 PM ET

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant left Tuesday's organized team activities early with a stomach virus, owner Jerry Jones confirmed.

Bryant, who was given medication by the Cowboys' doctors, was sleeping and unavailable for comment Tuesday afternoon.

Tuesday's practice was closed to the media, and so is Wednesday's.
Jones, at the NFL owners meetings Tuesday in Irving, Texas, was asked if thought Bryant would return to practice Wednesday.

"I do, and we basically told him to stay home and be there tomorrow [Wednesday]," Jones said, adding that Bryant first felt ill Monday. "Flu, upset stomach yesterday, and the trainers who saw him yesterday told him to stay home."

Bryant, the Cowboys' first-round draft pick, battled fatigue on the first day of the rookie minicamp at the end of April. He was coughing up water and bent over, but he was fine the next two days of the minicamp.

Was the May 25 OTA “illness” truly a virus, or was it a repeat of the same first day rookie minicamp conditioning problems?

In a player whose conditioning is already in question, you have to ask yourself how wise would it be to take a player who should be in relative immobility for 4-6 weeks, and immediately throw him onto the field as though nothing happened, and his ankle is miraculously back to "normal" strength.

jaayteetx
07-31-2010, 09:10 AM

Not celebrating his injury and not wishing one on any player, if it came across that way, it wasn't my intention. Injuries suck and I hate to see it happen to anyone, including Cowboys.

GuerillaBlack
07-31-2010, 11:34 AM
So, Dez Bryant refuses to carry Roy's pass. So yesterday, Roy decides to carry Bryant's pads that were left on the field inside. Classic.

kastofsna
07-31-2010, 11:47 AM
i respect Bryant's decision to not carry the pads. hazing is childish nonsense. that's all i will say.

Tailgate
07-31-2010, 12:07 PM
i respect Bryant's decision to not carry the pads. hazing is childish nonsense. that's all i will say.

Doesn't matter. Your not an NFL Vet. Its only what they think that matters. Its why 99% of all rookies simply pick up the pads, and I am pretty sure you would too.

kastofsna
08-01-2010, 09:07 AM
nope.

GP
08-01-2010, 11:23 AM
So, Dez Bryant refuses to carry Roy's pass. So yesterday, Roy decides to carry Bryant's pads that were left on the field inside. Classic.

Yeah, it was a nice gesture.

Instead of the opposite: TELLING someone that they will carry the pads.

In one instance, it was pad carrying as an insult. In the other instance, it was being a genuinely good guy. Is this concept lost on people?

Seems Roy Williams learned a lesson: It's better to be a nice guy than to be a jerk. His social rehab is going well thus far. Proud of him. He might just start playing better if he keeps it up.

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, it was a nice gesture.

Instead of the opposite: TELLING someone that they will carry the pads.

In one instance, it was pad carrying as an insult. In the other instance, it was being a genuinely good guy. Is this concept lost on people?

Seems Roy Williams learned a lesson: It's better to be a nice guy than to be a jerk. His social rehab is going well thus far. Proud of him. He might just start playing better if he keeps it up.

Must spread the rep.

HoustonFrog
08-01-2010, 12:14 PM
HoustonFrog,

Julius Jones, Anthony Henry, and Ken Hamlin are all names that you should be familiar with. Each sustained a high ankle sprain. Each were initially underestimated as to expected return to action...........and all were plagued with significantly compromised performance once they did make their reappearance.

If you look a little deeper into the “conditioning” factor with Bryant, there may be a pattern to reinforce this feeling. You may remember :

Was the May 25 OTA “illness” truly a virus, or was it a repeat of the same first day rookie minicamp conditioning problems?

In a player whose conditioning is already in question, you have to ask yourself how wise would it be to take a player who should be in relative immobility for 4-6 weeks, and immediately throw him onto the field as though nothing happened, and his ankle is miraculously back to "normal" strength.

From what I've read up until now the guy has been a beast in workouts....first in, last out. I'm not sure what point you are making. I don't believe Jerry is forcing guys back out there knowing they will not be 100%. They get a timetable from the team docs and then they are evaluated. I think on most teams once that happens you have to trust what the player says and what the docs say. I think you get these things with players yearly. We already have seen the Ravens killed by injuries. The Broncos just had Moreno and Buckhalter forced out on their first day of camp. The average career of players is so short I think players feel the need to come back quicker from injuries.

WWJD
08-01-2010, 01:34 PM
From what I've read up until now the guy has been a beast in workouts....first in, last out. I'm not sure what point you are making. I don't believe Jerry is forcing guys back out there knowing they will not be 100%. They get a timetable from the team docs and then they are evaluated. I think on most teams once that happens you have to trust what the player says and what the docs say. I think you get these things with players yearly. We already have seen the Ravens killed by injuries. The Broncos just had Moreno and Buckhalter on their first day of camp. The avergae career of players is so short I think players feel the need to come back quicker from injuries.

They won't rush him back Frog..I agree with you.

Crayton said call him "Allstate"..insurance for other guys going down like Dez.

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2010, 05:08 PM
From what I've read up until now the guy has been a beast in workouts....first in, last out. I'm not sure what point you are making. I don't believe Jerry is forcing guys back out there knowing they will not be 100%. They get a timetable from the team docs and then they are evaluated. I think on most teams once that happens you have to trust what the player says and what the docs say. I think you get these things with players yearly. We already have seen the Ravens killed by injuries. The Broncos just had Moreno and Buckhalter on their first day of camp. The avergae career of players is so short I think players feel the need to come back quicker from injuries.

My point was not directed to Jones or the coaches. I, don't believe they were "forcing" him into anything. Bryant can be a workout beast...........and push himself too early, leading to injuries. "Conditioning" cannot be solely evaluated by trainers. Pain or "discomfort" is a very important symptom that docs and trainers ask about when making their evaluations and "releases." Many players get injured because they ignore (and don't relate) what their body is telling them (especially "beasts") and overestimate their conditioning level for certain activities, and get ahead of what they are capable.

The second point I was making is that when athletes come back from a severe high ankle sprain in the same season, they seldom perform at their expected level, and not uncommonly with long-lasting nagging sequelae and tendency to re-injury.

The Pencil Neck
08-01-2010, 07:37 PM
My point was not directed to Jones or the coaches. I, don't believe they were "forcing" him into anything. Bryant can be a workout beast...........and push himself too early, leading to injuries. "Conditioning" cannot be solely evaluated by trainers. Pain or "discomfort" is a very important symptom that docs and trainers ask about when making their evaluations and "releases." Many players get injured because they ignore (and don't relate) what their body is telling them (especially "beasts") and overestimate their conditioning level for certain activities, and get ahead of what they are capable.

The second point I was making is that when athletes come back from a severe high ankle sprain in the same season, they seldom perform at their expected level, and not uncommonly with long-lasting nagging sequelae and tendency to re-injury.

To be an elite athlete, you've got to have a mind-set of pushing through pain and ignoring it. If you're a hypochondriac, you're going to have problems achieving elite athlete status.

We had a friend who was an elite level powerlifter and she decided to compete in a strong woman competition. One of the events involved carrying a keg across a parking lot. It was hot outside and the parking lot was burning. Our friend didn't have the right kind of shoes and it was very painful for her to walk across it. But... because it was competition, she did. I think she came in second place. And burned her feet so bad she couldn't couldn't finish the meet. She was burned so badly, her doctor told her she couldn't train for a couple of months (she was back in the gym within a couple of weeks.)

That's the mindset that it takes to achieve that level of performance. And it can border on stupidity. And that's why it's so difficult to properly diagnose these sorts of things. The one source of information that the team doctor has is an athlete who has been denying pain for most of his life. This could end up being a problem for Dez because he is a workout warrior.

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Greenbay safety Atari Bigby says ankle injured during conditioning test (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/99701804.html)

He originally rolled the same ankle in a 2008 preseason game. A couple of weeks into the regular season he was treated conservatively with a 6 week rest, missing 5 games and the bye before returning. After that, played pretty gimpy on that ankle, then missing the last 2 games with the announcement that he was to undergo ankle surgery. I post this just to exemplify how troublesome these type of ankle injuries can be, and how commonly reinjury raises its ugly head.

JB
08-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Greenbay safety Atari Bigby says ankle injured during conditioning test (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/99701804.html)

He originally rolled the same ankle in a 2008 preseason game. A couple of weeks into the regular season he was treated conservatively with a 6 week rest, missing 5 games and the bye before returning. After that, played pretty gimpy on that ankle, then missing the last 2 games with the announcement that he was to undergo ankle surgery. I post this just to exemplify how troublesome these type of ankle injuries can be, and how commonly reinjury raises its ugly head.

Yep! Those ankle injuries are troublesome. Has there been anyone that had a high ankle sprain and come back and play at their full potential the same year? If they try to overcome the pain, and tape it up trying to get on the field, they are doomed to problems for a long time. Kinda like turf toe...imo.

HoustonFrog
08-02-2010, 09:26 AM

I wasn't saying you were blaming anyone...just clarifying your points. I wasn't sure where you were going. Thanks for the explanation.

Here are some thoughts from MMQB. This is the third time in the last 3 days that I've read where the Cowboys were trying to slow down the Dez express and the hype.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/01/mmqb/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

Such is the early love affair with Bryant, who, two days later, suffered a high ankle sprain that will cause him to miss the preseason. My first thought about the injury: Good for the Cowboys. Good for Bryant. First, the hype for Bryant was ridiculously out of control, so much so that when I sat with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, he was already trying to figure out ways to shut down the Bryant Hall of Fame Express. Second, the Cowboys are practicing on artificial turf at the 'Dome -- sometimes twice a day -- which is never a good idea in training camp.

Bryant was practicing as if he were in an NFL playoff game, trying to win a starting job and to prove the Cowboys made the right decision by picking him in the first round when other teams were taking him off their draft boards. Dallas is lucky it was a high ankle sprain and not some season-ending thing.

Third, it's not like we're talking about a mature-beyond-his-years kid to begin with. It didn't appear as if the hype was going to his head, but who knows if all the pub eventually would have turned him into the kind of diva the guy on the other side of the field, Miles Austin, decidedly is not.

I just know this: Bryant has a chance to be a great player. But a little humble pie on the sidelines won't be such a bad thing for the kid.

Tailgate
08-02-2010, 09:57 AM
nope.

Yeah yeah yeah...

WWJD
08-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Nobody will pay a bit of attention to Dez today. Kim has shown up to watch Miles.

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I wasn't saying you were blaming anyone...just clarifying your points. I wasn't sure where you were going. Thanks for the explanation.

Here are some thoughts from MMQB. This is the third time in the last 3 days that I've read where the Cowboys were trying to slow down the Dez express and the hype.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/01/mmqb/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin

I posted early on that this had a familiar smell of the Bush non-NFL-earned hype, except mostly locally generated. This tends to be counterproductive to a rookie player on many counts. The Cowboys were wise to try to "slow down the Dez express and hype" that mostly they were responsible for initially. The article you presented is a refreshing take on the realities of the surrounding events. Thanks for posting.

Heath Shuler
08-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Travis Ivey carries some of his teammates gear after NFL football training camp, Sunday, Aug. 1, 2010 in Davie.
WILFREDO LEE / AP

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2010/08/01/21/Dolphins_Camp_Football4.embedded.prod_affiliate.56 .JPG

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Give the young man credit. Bryant has been sighted now practicing carrying around his own boot.
http://www.blogcdn.com/nfl.fanhouse.com/media/2010/08/dez-bryant-200wide.jpg

rmartin65
08-02-2010, 05:32 PM
http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2010/08/01/21/Dolphins_Camp_Football4.embedded.prod_affiliate.56 .JPG

Wanted Ivey for the Texans. Big player, loads of potential if he can keep his weight down.

Showtime100
08-02-2010, 06:01 PM

Wanted Ivey for the Texans. Big player, loads of potential if he can keep his weight down.

I know of a way and it wouldn't even take long! :secret:

Texan_Bill
08-09-2010, 09:13 AM
From last season:

http://images.chron.com/photos/2009/08/08/17817208/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Texans rookie linebacker Brian Cushing reaches down to pick up Kevin Bentley's pads as he leaves practice.

The caption fails to mention that he already has DeMeco's pads...

Wolf
09-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Dez Bryant, who in the preseason refused to go along with traditional rookie hazing at the Dallas Cowboys training camp, has received his payback. After refusing the carry the pads of fellow WR and vet Roy Williams, Bryant agreed to take Williams and the offense to dinner. That resulted in a near $55K bill.

At the time that Dez Bryant refused to carry his pads, Williams said it was no big deal if Bryant just took the team out to dinner. Bryant agreed to take the offense to Pappas Bros. Steakhouse on Monday night. However, WIlliams took the liberty of inviting the defense, as well.

http://www.huliq.com/3257/dez-bryants-payback-refusing-cowboys-tradition-55k

disaacks3
09-28-2010, 05:42 PM
http://www.huliq.com/3257/dez-bryants-payback-refusing-cowboys-tradition-55k 55K?? For how many people? Seriously folks, a GRAND + per diner?

gg no re
09-28-2010, 05:44 PM
55K?? For how many people? Seriously folks, a GRAND + per diner?

Apparently some teammates got fancy and bought some expensive bottles of wine.

drs23
09-30-2010, 11:09 AM

Those special teamers can eat,now. And you know how much call drinks are. Plus built in gratuity. 55k, he got out cheap. :kitten:

Double Barrel
09-30-2010, 11:34 AM

wow...that way more than I gross in a year. For one freakin' dinner.

I really don't want to hear players whine about the looming CBA battle. I have no sympathy.

Dutchrudder
09-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Don't forget the 'to go' orders they usually do to take food home for the family or the weekend.

The1ApplePie
09-30-2010, 12:51 PM
There were $9000 bottles of wine on the menu as well.

Texecutioner
09-30-2010, 01:06 PM
wow...that way more than I gross in a year. For one freakin' dinner.

I really don't want to hear players whine about the looming CBA battle. I have no sympathy.

This is why I have so little respect for a lot of athletes. They go over board to flock their money around in people's faces a lot and brag on tv about it all of the time, and then so many of them whine and complain about money like children when they run around spending it so foolishly and sporadically with all caution to the wind. Especially NFL players. They are the worst of them all. Funny, how you rarely hear about this kind of stuff with baseball players.