PDA

View Full Version : McNair-Passion for the Game

Insideop
07-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Good interview with McNair. Gives some insight about who he likes as players and Kubes. I know Justice isn't one of the favorite reporters for the chron but this article wasn't too bad.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7123595.html

El Tejano
07-25-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm hoping it'll rub off on Mario (Williams). If Mario could develop that kind of intensity with his athletic ability, oh my goodness.

"And you've got Amobi (Okoye), who is just an outstanding person, but he doesn't have that tiger in him yet. But he's young, and as he matures, I think he will become a little more intense."

Seems like Mr. Mcnair has been reading our Mario, You Suck threads and noticed how Mario responds to them.

Amobi, that's not fans talking. That's the man that writes your checks.

CloakNNNdagger
07-25-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm hoping it'll rub off on Mario (Williams). If Mario could develop that kind of intensity with his athletic ability, oh my goodness.

"And you've got Amobi (Okoye), who is just an outstanding person, but he doesn't have that tiger in him yet. But he's young, and as he matures, I think he will become a little more intense."

Seems like Mr. Mcnair has been reading our Mario, You Suck threads and noticed how Mario responds to them.

Amobi, that's not fans talking. That's the man that writes your checks.

It is statements like these..........."a LITTLE more intense??????".........."a little more intense is supposed to make the difference? These types of sad expectations contribute to why can't get the most out of many players......and still hang on to them forever. I hope that Amobi turns up the burners, but it won't happen because he becomes "a LITTLE more intense."

Austrian
07-25-2010, 10:40 AM
What happened to Richard Justice? I really enjoyed reading his last few articles.

drs23
07-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks. Good read, Doc. I hope they post this and make it required reading to the entire team and they respond. 33 players with Cush's passion, look out NFL. Sadly I think passion is one of those things that come from within and are either there or it's not. Hopefully, it can be instilled and Mr. McNair's words can bring it out. I hope so.

eriadoc
07-25-2010, 10:52 AM
From the article:

When the season ended, though, McNair extended Kubiak's contract for two years, through 2012.

"I think No. 1, he has the passion," McNair said. "Yet he is a very humble guy. He doesn't try to put blame on other people. If anything and I've talked to him about it I thought he was taking too much of the heat, and he was trying to deflect it off of his players. If you keep saying it enough 'it's my fault, it's my fault' after a while people start saying, 'Maybe it was.'

"It wasn't his fault, but he didn't want to say where the fault might lie. He's not going to point his finger at someone else. ... (The players) appreciate it, and they play hard for him."

Hmmm ....

Lucky
07-25-2010, 10:59 AM
While I agree with much of what McNair said, I'm not sure he is the one to say it. People are who they are. Bernard Pollard is Bernard Pollard because he is Bernard Pollard. Amobi Okoye won't suddenly morph into Bernard Pollard.

It's the coach's job to maximize the players' talents. To give a pat on the back, or a kick in the seat. Whatever the situation calls for. It's the owners job to select the right coach, and pay the players who produce. Speak softly, and carry a big checkbook. I don't want Bob McNair to become a Drayton "What have you done to become a champion today?" McLane.

Texans34Life
07-25-2010, 11:23 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/25/cushing-still-a-favorite-of-texans-owner/

Linebacker Brian Cushing brought the Texans and the league's PED problems plenty of unwanted attention this offseason, not to mention a major hole in Houston's lineup to open the season.

That hasn't dimmed Texans owner Bob McNair's enthusiasm for last year's Defensive Rookie of the Year, however. McNair sees Cushing as the ideal Houston Texan.

"Everybody I've talked to -- strength coaches, assistant coaches, what have you -- say Brian Cushing is the hardest-working athlete they've ever worked with, that his workouts are so strenuous that no one could compare," McNair told Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle.

Asked what he's learned in nine years of being owner, McNair essentially said he needs to find more Cushings. And fewer guys like David Carr.

"Maybe in the case of David Carr, that was probably the one thing we overlooked," McNair said. "I think David enjoyed the game, but I don't think he has that real burning desire, that passion, that not only do I want to play, but I want to be the very best at this position."

Cushing is the exact opposite, according to McNair: "There's not anybody on that field more intense than Brian, and the players know that," McNair said.

The Texans couldn't stand behind Cushing any stronger. They recognize he will be a huge part of the franchise for years to come and see his suspension as a temporary setback. McNair, in fact, hopes that Cushing's intensity rubs off on Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye.

Well, starting in Week Five at least.

ATXtexanfan
07-25-2010, 12:55 PM
that was a good read, intensity would help

cuppacoffee
07-25-2010, 01:01 PM
It is statements like these..........."a LITTLE more intense??????".........."a little more intense is supposed to make the difference? These types of sad expectations contribute to why can't get the most out of many players......and still hang on to them forever. I hope that Amobi turns up the burners, but it won't happen because he becomes "a LITTLE more intense."

Hopefully Mario and Amobi are bright enough to get the message.

If the players don't understand what McNair was saying without him raising his voice, then they are hopeless indeed.

McNair said all that needs to be said, no ranting, no raving, no throwing players under the bus. That is up to the coaches, not the owner. In fact I imagine the coaches will take McNairs comments to heart. A little motivation perhaps.

I've stated before on this site that I think Mario, so far, has been a very over rated player by many here. The guy just doesn't seem motivated to me. But that is just one mans opinion.

Amobe, well it's time to stop giving him a pass because of his age. Time to grow up. Almost a bust, but we'll see what this year brings.

Personally I don't think the D would miss a beat without either one of them.
Sad to say about two high draft picks.

Refreshing to be talking about football for a change.

:coffee:

beerlover
07-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Intensity starts at the top so this is a good sign that the Texans will play with more passion & sense of urgency :logo:

houstonhurricane
07-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Love McNair, but don't like the message he is sending by putting a guy who is suspended for the first four games of the season as the model for other players to follow...when taking performance-enhancing substances, it is no wonder you are more intense on the field and during workouts...

Texans_Chick
07-25-2010, 02:30 PM
While I agree with much of what McNair said, I'm not sure he is the one to say it. People are who they are. Bernard Pollard is Bernard Pollard because he is Bernard Pollard. Amobi Okoye won't suddenly morph into Bernard Pollard.

It's the coach's job to maximize the players' talents. To give a pat on the back, or a kick in the seat. Whatever the situation calls for. It's the owners job to select the right coach, and pay the players who produce. Speak softly, and carry a big checkbook. I don't want Bob McNair to become a Drayton "What have you done to become a champion today?" McLane.

Totally agree. If McNair wants the players to stay united and keep concerns within the lockerroom, then he shouldn't be airing out his concerns, and singling out players as not doing enough. I'm not sure if we have the total quote in context, but I think this is a distraction.

Mario Williams is going to be due for a contract. Do you really want to disgruntle him before the Brinks truck is going to have to roll up??

Players are who they are. Andre Johnson isn't going to turn into a non-quiet guy, and to expect Mario Williams from a small town in North Carolina to turn into a mouthy guy like Pollard isn't going to happen.

It makes me think of the Kareem Abdul Jabbar scene in Airplane where he blows up about people who things he doesn't show enough hustle. Williams had a messed up shoulder last year but didn't miss a game. And according to PFF (a source I don't trust on a lot of stuff, but probably would be okay and seeing what players are in the game at defensive line), Williams had among the most snaps in the league at 4-3 defensive end. About 150 more than Peppers, 100 more than Schobel. He had around the same number of snaps as a very mouth guy in Jared Allen, but Allen also has tons more help on the line. You try to show mouthy, hyped-up intensity for 950 defensive snaps where you are the largest part of the sack totals for the team.

McNair not being helpful in essence equating Carr to Williams, Okoye, even if it is true.

Pollardized
07-25-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't think McNair was saying he hoped Andre would turn into a non-quiet guy or that Mario would become a mouthy guy. I think what he was implying that certain players' on-field "PLAY" become more intense, not their personality traits. Andre is a very intense WR, and shows it through his play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpWqMqrZwTU He can be as quiet as he wants to be, it doesn't affect his play.

Mario and Amobe have all the physical abilities to dominate at their positions. They just lack that intangible known as "heart" or "passion" that some players like Cush or Pollard have. Players in all sports tend to bring their passion level up in contract years, so it seems to be something that can be controlled. "Quiet" guys like Mario and Amobe should continue being non-mouthy while on the field, but use their God-given talents with an intensity level like that of Cush or Pollard.

houstonspartan
07-25-2010, 06:18 PM

I agree. While it's great to have an owner that's involved and knows what's going on, there's a danger here in calling people out, which is what he praises Kubiak for NOT doing. There's a fine line.

And, I agree with with someone else on here said: As much as I like Cushing, let's be real - dude is out because of steroids. Let's be careful in putting him on a pedistal at this point in time.

It's sort of like the "Wide Recievers are always arrogant" argument I'm always hearing. No, they're not. Andre isn't. In fact, he's somewhat boring. And that's ok. Andre is Andre. He comes in, does his job to the best of his ability, is a great team make, and goes home. I am fine with that.

dalemurphy
07-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Totally agree. If McNair wants the players to stay united and keep concerns within the lockerroom, then he shouldn't be airing out his concerns, and singling out players as not doing enough. I'm not sure if we have the total quote in context, but I think this is a distraction.

Mario Williams is going to be due for a contract. Do you really want to disgruntle him before the Brinks truck is going to have to roll up??

Players are who they are. Andre Johnson isn't going to turn into a non-quiet guy, and to expect Mario Williams from a small town in North Carolina to turn into a mouthy guy like Pollard isn't going to happen.

It makes me think of the Kareem Abdul Jabbar scene in Airplane where he blows up about people who things he doesn't show enough hustle. Williams had a messed up shoulder last year but didn't miss a game. And according to PFF (a source I don't trust on a lot of stuff, but probably would be okay and seeing what players are in the game at defensive line), Williams had among the most snaps in the league at 4-3 defensive end. About 150 more than Peppers, 100 more than Schobel. He had around the same number of snaps as a very mouth guy in Jared Allen, but Allen also has tons more help on the line. You try to show mouthy, hyped-up intensity for 950 defensive snaps where you are the largest part of the sack totals for the team.

McNair not being helpful in essence equating Carr to Williams, Okoye, even if it is true.

I don't see a problem with what he did. What is Mario going to do? Either, he will set out to prove him wrong and be more intense or he will continue doing what he's doing. I don't see how those relatively benign comments would lead to a holdout, inability to re-sign him, or a dropoff in his production. Now, if he starts calling these guys out with some regularity or with some malice, then it would become a problem.

In the end, the shift in what kind of player the organization wants to represent them is very good for the football product... Bernard Pollard, Brian Cushing instead of David Carr, and Amobi Okoye.

steelbtexan
07-25-2010, 07:58 PM

McNair is a little more intense about only one thing.

How about those leather season ticket holders.

Cheap B******

Talk Talk Talk

Aint crap, How about we talk about the playoffs Uncle BoB.

devo-x
07-25-2010, 08:37 PM
I agree. While it's great to have an owner that's involved and knows what's going on, there's a danger here in calling people out, which is what he praises Kubiak for NOT doing. There's a fine line.

And, I agree with with someone else on here said: As much as I like Cushing, let's be real - dude is out because of steroids. Let's be careful in putting him on a pedistal at this point in time.

It's sort of like the "Wide Recievers are always arrogant" argument I'm always hearing. No, they're not. Andre isn't. In fact, he's somewhat boring. And that's ok. Andre is Andre. He comes in, does his job to the best of his ability, is a great team make, and goes home. I am fine with that.

Is there any further proof of that claim? Just wondering

steelbtexan
07-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Intensity starts at the top so this is a good sign that the Texans will play with more passion & sense of urgency :logo:

Yeah, Lets hope this happens.

So far 9 yrs and counting.

McNair's sense of urgency and mine are stratospheres apart.

Insideop
07-25-2010, 09:08 PM

I know this will be impossible to stop, but I cannot stand all the misinformation people spread. Cushing was not busted for steroids! He was busted for hCG.(human chorionic gonadotropin). Here is some info from a blog done by Texans Chick in the chron.

HCG is not a steroid masking agent. Masking agents try to hide unnatural steroid in the body. HCG is listed in the steroid policy as a "hormone"and not in the section of the policy relating to masking agents. It is a prohibited substance under the policy because it is something that can be related to steroid use. Steroid users try to use hCG to make sure that their body continues to make natural testosterone and to prevent their testicles from shrinking from steroids.

Because it is a hormone that can be found in the human body, it can also be manufactured in natural ways. A rise in HCG is what is used by pregnancy kits to determine if a woman is pregnant. Its presence can also be a marker of some tumors.

Brian Cushing's appeal was based in part on demonstrating that he had a medical condition consistent with natural hCG production.

From John McClain's report:

"He had a pre-existing medical condition (involving an enlarged pituitary gland) that was consistent with the natural production of hCG in males," Steinberg said. "They came out in the hearing, and they were documented.

"We learned that he had a particular medical condition that was consistent with natural production in the body of this banned substance. We felt with the low levels at which it tested was also consistent with natural production.

"We did research and found out that his was a plausible explanation. We consulted an expert who suggested further testing. We became convinced that this was a situation that was naturally produced."

Brian Cushing completely denies taking a banned substance.

From his opening statement at the press conference:

"Since being suspended by the league for a non-steroidal banned substance, I denied then and continue now that I ever took a substance banned by the National Football League."

Later he spoke of neither "ingesting or injecting" any substances, but I don't think much should be read into any of that.

Maybe I'm being totally naive, but I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt. I know that most of the professional athletes that have denied taking steroids have been proven to be lying, but I just think Cush is too much of a health geek (packaged meals, hyperbaric therapy, etc..) to do this, and until it is proven beyond any shadow of doubt, I will give him the benefit. I just wish other Texans fans would not spread false information.

Sorry for the rant!:rant:

steelbtexan
07-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I know this will be impossible to stop, but I cannot stand all the misinformation people spread. Cushing was not busted for steroids! He was busted for hCG.(human chorionic gonadotropin). Here is some info from a blog done by Texans Chick in the chron.

Maybe I'm being totally naive, but I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt. I know that most of the professional athletes that have denied taking steroids have been proven to be lying, but I just think Cush is too much of a health geek (packaged meals, hyperbaric therapy, etc..) to do this, and until it is proven beyond any shadow of doubt, I will give him the benefit. I just wish other Texans fans would not spread false information.

Sorry for the rant!:rant:

Do you feel the same way about Barry Bonds?

Cushing and Bonds are in the same boat. IMHO

JB
07-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Did Bonds get busted for HCG? No, I didn't think so.

steelbtexan
07-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Did Bonds get busted for HCG? No, I didn't think so.

No he didn't, but both Bonda and Cushing have been convicted in the court of public opinion.

I totally disagree with this thought process.

dalemurphy
07-25-2010, 11:24 PM

Barry Bonds is an arrogant jerk. That's the main difference. People that treat other people poorly don't get the benefit of the doubt. People that are friendly, kind, and engaging... do. Cushing is a meathead. But, he's a very friendly and engaging guy. People like him and want to root for him. Who wants to root for Bonds?

ChampionTexan
07-26-2010, 12:51 AM

I'm pretty reluctant to believe Cush's side of the story too, but when two investigative reporters write a book about Cush as incriminating as Game of Shadows, then they'll be in the same boat.

Until then - not so much.

imatexan
07-26-2010, 03:06 AM

NOT AT ALL!

Shoot if i thought that someone on the Texans were comparable to Barry Bonds I would be very upset. I am not saying Cushing is innocent but from the steroids he "took or did not take" to the way he carries himself Cushing is not anywhere near Barry Bonds level of disgusting(quite the opposite I still like Cushing).

Anyways I like that Bob wants to see passion in his players and I agree Cushing and Pollard bring that to the team, you have to remember that passion is different from being a loud mouth diva.

OzzO
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
The Cushing saga is spelled out in the 54 page thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71773&highlight=cushing), including the Bonds comparison.

As for McNair - good to hear how he feels, but it's been said before (interesting he didn't say "playoffs or bust"... or something along those lines like last year). Time to see this talk in action already.

The stat I hear on sports radio occasionally that 31 teams have made the playoffs in Kubiak's time with the Texans is still amazing. (and not getting onto the Kubiak + / - either, that has it's own mega thread as well)

ChampionTexan
07-26-2010, 01:39 PM
The Cushing saga is spelled out in the 54 page thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71773&highlight=cushing), including the Bonds comparison.

As for McNair - good to hear how he feels, but it's been said before (interesting he didn't say "playoffs or bust"... or something along those lines like last year). Time to see this talk in action already.

The stat I hear on sports radio occasionally that 31 teams have made the playoffs in Kubiak's time with the Texans is still amazing. (and not getting onto the Kubiak + / - either, that has it's own mega thread as well)

The actual stat is that every one of the other 31 teams have either made the playoffs, or fired their HC since Kubiak's been here. The Bills and Lions for example haven't made the playoffs since 1999.

OzzO
07-26-2010, 02:08 PM
/\ thanks, figured I mis remembered as I could get past "when did the Lions go?"

GP
07-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Who wants to root for Bonds?

Not THIS guy, that's for sure. He's a creep-o. Deluxe.

He's going to go O.J. Simpson some day. I can just sense it, man. Same kind of larger-than-life and above-the-system persona.

silvrhand
07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't care what anyone says, this isn't the first time Mario has been called out for his lack of intensity. I'm sorry I just don't get how you can play NFL football on the DL/OL without intensity/attitude.

painekiller
07-26-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't care what anyone says, this isn't the first time Mario has been called out for his lack of intensity. I'm sorry I just don't get how you can play NFL football on the DL/OL without intensity/attitude.

That was the big knock on him when he was in college. People have forgotten.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2010, 06:06 PM
That was the big knock on him when he was in college. People have forgotten.

Deja vu (from a draft profile (http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/mario_williams.html)).

There may not be a better physical specimen at any position in the draft. Williams has fantastic size for a defensive end, but couples that with supreme athleticism. He draws a lot of comparisons to Julius Peppers for his size and athleticism combination. Mario has the quickness off the line, the ability to change direction, and the closing speed to be a major factor as a pass rusher. But his height and bulk allow him to be a force against the run as well.

Despite being so talented, Williams has not dominated like he should. He just seems to disappear at times. For how big and athletic he is, he should just own opposing tackles. Perhaps that is because he still relies on his athleticism to make plays. Whatever the reason, it does cause some concern.

Williams may end up being the first defensive player selected in April. His upside is that tremendous. He is not as good a prospect as Julius Peppers was, because along with all his talent, Peppers dominated games too. But, the ability is there.

datchapin
07-26-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't really get why McNair would worry about Marios intensity. Mario is one of if not the stoutest DE against the run in the league today. Last yr. was no different.

I don't understand where where this lack of intensity thought comes from. Not all players show intensity the same way. Just because you aren't a loud player on the field doesn't mean you aren't intense, Demeco and Andre are proof of that. The fact that Mario played through a hurt shoulder all season long to me shows passion and desire.

The guy went the whole season without being able to utilize rips and swims to their full capacities. Some people act as if the guy should get double digit sacks regardless of circumstance every season. (yeah, I'm talking bout Gwin on 790, dude can sometimes be so frustrating.)

disaacks3
07-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I know this will be impossible to stop, but I cannot stand all the misinformation people spread. Cushing was not busted for steroids! He was busted for hCG.(human chorionic gonadotropin). That is correct, but without a (very rare) tumor, the only way it shows up at levels that violate the rules is during a steroid "cycle". I LOVE the guy, but I'll never buy that it was a misread or an accident.

I don't care what anyone says, this isn't the first time Mario has been called out for his lack of intensity. I'm sorry I just don't get how you can play NFL football on the DL/OL without intensity/attitude. Mario is possibly the most dominant DE in the League when he WANTS to be. The best games he's ever had are right after someone questions his work ethic, or snubbed him for awards. If he played 3 -4 games in a row at his full potential, he'd set himself up for the HoF.

infantrycak
07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
That is correct, but without a (very rare) tumor, the only way it shows up at levels that violate the rules is during a steroid "cycle". I LOVE the guy, but I'll never buy that it was a misread or an accident.

Well Cushing has an enlarged thyroid that was documented long before the Texans. Last conversation I had with CnD he said about 50-66% of the time that is due to an adenoma (tumor in the thyroid) and of those there are active and inactive tumors in terms of whether they kick off extra production of what the thyroid makes which includes hcg. Having said that it seems very unlikely since the levels should be more elevated and should have remained elevated until there was a treatment. Now there is the hcg diet craze going on but then he's stupid for taking a banned substance to keep his weight down and not sure how hcg metabolizes when taken orally so still might not produce elevated levels.

Mario is possibly the most dominant DE in the League when he WANTS to be. The best games he's ever had are right after someone questions his work ethic, or snubbed him for awards. If he played 3 -4 games in a row at his full potential, he'd set himself up for the HoF.

I don't know what to think of Mario. He clearly is a dominant DE and one of the best current DE's in the league. And then he flashes true dominance and it just looks like another level of play. But I have a hard time concluding it is lack of effort v. poor technique on an individual play, etc. I almost think he would be more dominant if he was 3 inches shorter.

Lucky
07-26-2010, 06:59 PM
I don't know what to think of Mario.
After 4 seasons, here is what I think of Mario. In any group of individuals, you will have leaders and followers. And occasionally, a lone wolf (like Terrell Owens). Mario is a follower. Which is why it is important to surround him with leader types, like Ryans, Cushing, and Pollard. The more he plays with guys like that, the more he will follow their pace. Mario is not Reggie White (a leader). Or even Bruce Smith (a lone wolf). He needs to be led.

steelbtexan
07-26-2010, 07:29 PM
True

Mario needs to stay out of the bars and perfect his craft.

Of course when I was 24yrs old if I had more $$$ than I could spend in a lifetime and women throwing themselves at me. I would probably be doing the same thing Mario is doing.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Well Cushing has an enlarged thyroid that was documented long before the Texans. Last conversation I had with CnD he said about 50-66% of the time that is due to an adenoma (tumor in the thyroid) and of those there are active and inactive tumors in terms of whether they kick off extra production of what the thyroid makes which includes hcg. Having said that it seems very unlikely since the levels should be more elevated and should have remained elevated until there was a treatment. Now there is the hcg diet craze going on but then he's stupid for taking a banned substance to keep his weight down and not sure how hcg metabolizes when taken orally so still might not produce elevated levels.

I don't know what to think of Mario. He clearly is a dominant DE and one of the best current DE's in the league. And then he flashes true dominance and it just looks like another level of play. But I have a hard time concluding it is lack of effort v. poor technique on an individual play, etc. I almost think he would be more dominant if he was 3 inches shorter.

On the subject of pointing to an enlarged pituitary gland.........greater than 10% of the normal population will have this finding on MRI. As Cak pointed out, the argument for a tumor benign or malignant would not account for the alledged recent findings. And let's remember that Cushing's medical explanations and explanations of the NFL appeals conclusions being invalid are coming from his team of attornies, knowing full well that the NFL is not allowed to respond or rebut.

On the subject of "diet HCG." Most of these diet HCG products have been found not even to contain ANY HCG. Furthermore, if they contain any of the substance, oral HCG is a scam. Immediately upon hitting the stomach, the gastric (stomach) acid and enzymes destroy the HCG. Nor can any gel form be absorbed through the skin. The HCG molecule is huge.........greater than 5 times the size that of insulin and therefore cannot be absorbed to any truly measurable levels.........the same reason that insulin cannot be taken by any other route than injectable. And BTW, HCG's mechanism of weight loss when delivered by injection is NOT on a METABOLIC basis, but simply on the basis as an APPETITE SUPPRESSANT. Injectable HCG is usually detectable from 10 days to 14 days and, in unusual cases, sometimes up to 3 weeks.

JB
07-26-2010, 08:19 PM
CnD, is there any other reason to take HCG? Maybe he didn't think he was studley enough. Or his girlfriend complained....

:kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2010, 09:47 PM
CnD, is there any other reason to take HCG? Maybe he didn't think he was studley enough. Or his girlfriend complained....

:kitten:

Only if you look down and don't see your penis anymore.
:rake:

TimeKiller
07-27-2010, 03:53 PM
It sure would be nice to see an interview with Mario saying he's gonna sack Peyton 3 times the first game AND THEN do it. It would be much more believable than hearing he wants the sack record.....

Vinnie
07-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Only if you look down and don't see your penis anymore.
:rake:

So you're saying Charlie Weis should take HCG? Interesting.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/10/25/weis.notredame/t1_1025_weis_getty.jpg

GP
07-27-2010, 05:36 PM
After 4 seasons, here is what I think of Mario. In any group of individuals, you will have leaders and followers. And occasionally, a lone wolf (like Terrell Owens). Mario is a follower. Which is why it is important to surround him with leader types, like Ryans, Cushing, and Pollard. The more he plays with guys like that, the more he will follow their pace. Mario is not Reggie White (a leader). Or even Bruce Smith (a lone wolf). He needs to be led.

[/Thread]

I mean, there's nothing else to be said after reading that.

I agree with what you posted. 100%.

ATXtexanfan
07-27-2010, 05:51 PM

+1 like a mutha

CT CSTM
07-27-2010, 06:35 PM
True

Mario needs to stay out of the bars and perfect his craft.

Of course when I was 24yrs old if I had more $$$ than I could spend in a lifetime and women throwing themselves at me. I would probably be doing the same thing Mario is doing.

What fact do you base this on?

Honoring Earl 34
07-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Jared Allen had two DUI's in KC .

Mario is going to be fine .

steelbtexan
07-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Friends of mine saw MW and A.Smith throwing down drinks like they were going out of style after the Arz game. Maybe they were drowning their sorrows. But I doubt it.

Meanwhile I was still in Scottsdale drowning my sorrows realizing the Texans winning and losing meant more to me than some in the Texans organization.

CT CSTM
07-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Friends of mine saw MW and A.Smith throwing down drinks like they were going out of style after the Arz game. Maybe they were drowning their sorrows. But I doubt it.

Meanwhile I was still in Scottsdale drowning my sorrows realizing the Texans winning and losing meant more to me than some in the Texans organization.

At least it wasn't BEFORE the game,,,just because a 24 year old and a teammate went to a bar and had some drinks means he isn't doing all he can do to be a good player? Maybe if he was in the hotel parking lot doing swim drills or wind sprints would have been better? I'm biased since Mario is a personal friend of mine, I get to see the "little" stuff he does to become the best player he can be that others don't see. Being seen in a bar after a game doesn't warrant a "stay out of the bars" comment,,,this is a tiny look into the window of his life. In fact,,,most of the guys are "hammered" on the plane ride back home after a game,,,along with the most of the coaches,,,they are young kids at the top of their profession. Most are responsible with the ifestyle,some aren't but I guarantee you Mario is one of the responsible ones.

CT CSTM
07-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Jared Allen had two DUI's in KC .

Mario is going to be fine .

Jared should get a DWM(Driving With a Mullet) instead,,,lol,,,did you guys ever see his "Cribs" episode? The guy is a total trip,,,several friends that know him say he is a total goofball in real life,,,

JB
07-27-2010, 08:03 PM
At least it wasn't BEFORE the game,,,just because a 24 year old and a teammate went to a bar and had some drinks means he isn't doing all he can do to be a good player? Maybe if he was in the hotel parking lot doing swim drills or wind sprints would have been better? I'm biased since Mario is a personal friend of mine, I get to see the "little" stuff he does to become the best player he can be that others don't see. Being seen in a bar after a game doesn't warrant a "stay out of the bars" comment,,,this is a tiny look into the window of his life. In fact,,,most of the guys are "hammered" on the plane ride back home after a game,,,along with the most of the coaches,,,they are young kids at the top of their profession. Most are responsible with the ifestyle,some aren't but I guarantee you Mario is one of the responsible ones.

Yeah, but for some people, Mario can do no right. If he's not racking up 20+ sacks every year and defensive MVP every year, then he is just a lazy bum that takes too many plays off.

steelbtexan
07-27-2010, 08:17 PM

It's comforting to know he's one of the responsible ones.

How is his shoulder healing?

If healthy maybe this is the year he strives to reach his potential and MW helps the Texans reach the playoffs for the first time. Yeah that has a good ring to it.

steelbtexan
07-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah, but for some people, Mario can do no right. If he's not racking up 20+ sacks every year and defensive MVP every year, then he is just a lazy bum that takes too many plays off.

No, I just want these guys (not MW in particular) to realize that they get paid millions of $$$$ to play a game and take their craft seriously.

That's not to much to ask for is it?

Uncle BoB called out MW more than I did. Everybody knows that Uncle BoB can do no wrong. LOL

The Third Man
07-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Personally I don't think the D would miss a beat without either one of them.
Sad to say about two high draft picks.

Refreshing to be talking about football for a change.

I think you got carried away with your own rhetoric. The defense would miss a lot of, uh, beats without Mario. It's silly to contend otherwise.

cuppacoffee
07-29-2010, 12:09 PM
I think you got carried away with your own rhetoric. The defense would miss a lot of, uh, beats without Mario. It's silly to contend otherwise.

Not any sillier than your own pretentious opinion:

"The defense would miss a lot of, uh, beats without Mario" ..