PDA

View Full Version : Ben Tate 6-1 odds NFL RoY

Section516
07-21-2010, 04:55 PM
per Chad Millman, ESPN
http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/blog?name=millman_chad&id=5398603

Ben Tate, RB, Houston Texans -- 6-1

Staley says: Another running back, so he gets some preferential treatment when it comes to the odds. A lot of this depends on Steve Slaton. Will he play like he did as a rookie, or will his sophomore slump continue? There's a good chance Tate could end up the starter.

Matt Schaub has no bigger fan than me. Last year I picked him as the best value on the board to win the NFL passing yardage crown. No reason he can't do it again this year, which always helps loosen up lanes for running backs. So does the Texans blocking scheme, which could turn my 94-year-old Bubbe into a Pro Bowler at least once. But I was just as big a fan of Slaton last year, too, and I'm not convinced he's done.

Coming behind Ryan Mathews and Dez Bryant.

:chef:

JWarren14
07-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Decent odds, I am hoping Slaton and Foster are up for a helluva season and we won't have to rely to heavily on Tate.

Say Section 516, I also sit in Section 516, whereabouts are your seats.

We have Row B seats 1-4

ATXtexanfan
07-21-2010, 06:40 PM
i like foster and love slaton but tate has the meaurables to be a stud. i dont see him getting the ball enough to get OROY though

b0ng
07-21-2010, 11:25 PM
i like foster and love slaton but tate has the meaurables to be a stud. i dont see him getting the ball enough to get OROY though

It really depends on how good/bad he is in pass protection. I think if he's showing that he can pick up blitzes and get good yardage without fumbling he'll find his way into getting carries. I'm betting we see a lot more screens and pass plays for Slaton than any of the other RB's (If he's proven to the coaches that he can hang onto the ball).

HOU-TEX
07-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Meh, as much as the media's tootin his horn, might as well give it to Mathews. The dude hasn't played a down, yet he's ranked as the 8th FF RB. That would be ahead of the likes of Benson, Jackson, Greene, Charles, D. Williams, etc....

Texas T
07-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Meh, as much as the media's tootin his horn, might as well give it to Mathews. The dude hasn't played a down, yet he's ranked as the 8th FF RB. That would be ahead of the likes of Benson, Jackson, Greene, Charles, D. Williams, etc....

You know I've been noticing that also.
I definately scratched my head when I was looking at fantasy rankings and even saw him on there...

Actually I was just thinking about it...do you think he'd be ranked that high if the Texans had drafted him??
Not that I'm saying we should have but just wondering...

RipTraxx
07-22-2010, 11:15 AM

Well put.....

The Pencil Neck
07-22-2010, 11:45 AM
In Norv Turner's Offense, Mathews could be the next Emmitt Smith. In San Diego, he could be the next Ladanian Tomlinson.

In the right offense, I think this guy is going to be a beast. In our offense, I think he would have excelled. I would have loved to have gotten him at 20 even though a lot of people on this board thought that was a reach at that position.

After all the debates we had about him here -- after all the picking apart we did, I think he's still not that respected by a lot of guys on this board. And as we all know, he could be a bust.

But I'm definitely going to be considering him for my fantasy team.

zanth91
07-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Those are good odds considering he's a second round pick. But I would be surprised if he's the starter in week 1. Hopefully he'll be there by week 8 (also hoping it's not because our other RB's are failing to do their jobs).

GuerillaBlack
07-23-2010, 01:34 AM
Is Tate still limping around because of that hamstring, or is it fully healed? Hopefully it's healed, because we're going to need him ready for training camp. I don't think he'll get the starting job come Week 1, but he should have it shortly after, I think. He'll be a stud, in my opinion.

zanth91
07-23-2010, 01:37 AM
Is Tate still limping around because of that hamstring, or is it fully healed? Hopefully it's healed, because we're going to need him ready for training camp. I don't think he'll get the starting job come Week 1, but he should have it shortly after, I think. He'll be a stud, in my opinion.

He was practicing some in minicamp, So I assume he's good to go.