PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Johnson to join "Survivor"

HoustonFrog
07-21-2010, 08:22 AM
He is going to miss his Heineken

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5397434

Former Dallas Cowboys head coach Jimmy Johnson will appear on the CBS reality show "Survivor: Nicaragua" this fall, according to a source.

The 67-year-old Johnson, who was unavailable for comment, joins the show's 21st season this summer. The series has been taped in various exotic locations, including Panama, the Fiji Islands, Kenya and Brazil since it started in 2000. This year's show will tape in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua.

Johnson, who won two Super Bowl titles with the Cowboys in the 1990s, will be grouped with strangers in an isolated area where contestants must complete challenges to win awards or immunity from getting kicked out of the game show.

WWJD
07-21-2010, 08:43 AM
He's a leader..he might surprise some people.

HoustonFrog
07-21-2010, 08:53 AM
He's a leader..he might surprise some people.

I think he will do well if they don't know him. I have a feeling someone will know him and they will gun for him since he has money, etc. Plus he can have some pretty strong opinions..lol

JB
07-21-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm thinking he is just going to appear as a guest mediator or something.

HoustonFrog
07-21-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm thinking he is just going to appear as a guest mediator or something.

I don't know. He is a Fox guy and this is a CBS show. The above blurb said he would be grouped with the people. We will see. They get such an eclectic bunch every season that some might not know him.

ChampionTexan
07-21-2010, 09:15 AM
I don't know. He is a Fox guy and this is a CBS show. The above blurb said he would be grouped with the people. We will see. They get such an eclectic bunch every season that some might not know him.

It was vague (probably intentionally), but given the fact it said he would "appear" on the show rather than be a contestant, I'm guessing JB's pretty close to nailing it.

No More 8-8's
07-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Eddie George's wife was a contestant on the show a couple years ago, and Eddie's a Fox guy too. I think he would actually participate in the show, and not as a mediator. As far as i know, there is no mediator or guests who come on the show.

WWJD
07-21-2010, 09:36 AM
I can't imagine any guy that would be on that show that wouldn't know who Jimmy is. Women yea...they might not know.

ChampionTexan
07-21-2010, 09:50 AM

Looks like you may be right - this says he's "competing" which definitely says to me he's a contestant.

Jimmy Johnson, that steely-eyed, beer-cured, sparkle-witted Lego man that coached the Hurricanes to the 1987 national championship and coached the Dolphins to the point we pretend it never happened, has fulfilled a long-time personal dream and is competing right now on "Survivor: Nicaragua."

LINK (http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/sports/Jimmy-Johnson-Now-A-Survivor-98920249.html)

P.S. - Never watched the show - still won't.

hobie
07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Wonder if he will be bringing his Extenze?

The1ApplePie
07-21-2010, 03:12 PM
But will his perfect hair survive?

Nawzer
07-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Jimmy can't "survive" without his hair gel. He's the first one out.

TimeKiller
07-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Wonder if he will be bringing his Extenze?

Gross.

axman40
07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
It's too bad they never took up my idea of getting contestants from the NFL draft event.
:spin:

HoustonFrog
08-27-2010, 06:56 AM
Here is a really nice article I read when in Dallas last weekend. He has been through alot more than people think and it sounds like they made this one a little harder than lately....less food with the elements

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/082110dnspohorn.21504e7.html

Johnson had failed in his attempt to earn a spot on the show in 2004. If you know his DNA, you know the rejection simply made him want to prove his mettle on some Godforsaken terrain even more. So in 2007, he tried again.

The process went better. The producers of the show were intrigued with having a celebrity who would turn 64 sometime during the filming of the show. Johnson made it all the way to a rigorous medical screening before his dream crashed yet again.

The cardiologist performing some high-tech nuclear procedure asked Johnson if he knew he had suffered a heart attack some years earlier.

Johnson was stunned. He hadn't a clue.

It had been what the doctor described as "a silent" heart attack and it wasn't uncommon in men of Johnson's age, even active men who believed themselves to be in good shape and spent much of their time deep sea fishing and scuba diving. The doctor showed him images of the scar tissue. The doctor also told him one of his arteries was blocked and another was 70 percent clogged.

"If not for the show, I could have gone out scuba diving one day and been gone," he said via telephone this week, pausing to allow his words to sink in.

In the months that followed, Johnson altered his eating and exercise regimen, watched his cholesterol plummet from 220 to under 100 and dropped 30 pounds.

The theme this year's Survivor exercise is old vs. young. Johnson is the oldest of the old.

Speaking from his beachfront home in the Florida Keys, Johnson described his Survivor experience.

"It was brutal," he said.

Yes, fellow contestants recognized him. At first, some thought he was a look-alike for the real Jimmy Johnson. But celebrity is fleeting when you are competing to survive.

Johnson said he and his fellow contestants were overheated during the days and cold at night. "It was the rainy season so we were wet and cold," he said.

Johnson said they survived on two scoops of rice a day and had to boil their own water for cooking and drinking. There was no fruit dangling off trees. They took turns keeping a fire going at night.

Did he ever give a rousing "How 'bout them Cowboys" speech to motivate his tribe mates?

"Well, one gal wanted to quit, and she was really crying," he said. "I talked her into staying ...

"I was more a kind of a fatherly figure to everyone."