PDA

View Full Version : Texans secondary - ranked 32nd

2slik4u
07-19-2010, 08:54 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aqkslj7jj3KR3FNTR1ZkK8FDubYF?slug=jc-dbrankings071810

Just the opinion of one Yahoo! sports writer but I thought it was worth noting.

On another note, our O-line is ranked 6th in the league.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aih1MkSl3LokWB1v0TyqTVXsYNAF?slug=jc-olinerankings061810

And 13th ranked LB crew??? Not sure about this one but here you go. They also rank the rest of the crews. RB's, WR's, etc, etc.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ai4R_T1KqHJ1NifOJYV6fWzsYNAF?slug=jc-lbrankings071210

SheTexan
07-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Ouch!!

steelbtexan
07-19-2010, 09:18 AM
The thought of a rookie (Jackson) playing his 3 games against Manning,McNabb and Romo. And two 2nd year guys (Quin and McCain) scares the heck out of me.

Does anybody else feel this way?

Didn't read the article but the LB corps should be ranked in the top 5-10. Atleast that's what my eyes told me last year.

kiwitexansfan
07-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Sounds fair till proved otherwise.

BIG TORO
07-19-2010, 09:33 AM
With the league becoming more and more of a passing league, this is scary!

HOU-TEX
07-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Sounds fair till proved otherwise.

I agree for the most part, but 32nd? These rankings are a joke overall, IMO. He basically has the Ravens ranked at 5 due to Ed Reed alone. I mean, he's an awesome player, but he's beat up and aging. The CB position is the biggest concern on the Ravens defense.

Meh, I definitely understand why our secondary should be ranked so low, but these rankings are a bit off-base if you ask me

ubecool454
07-19-2010, 09:40 AM
The thought of a rookie (Jackson) playing his 3 games against Manning,McNabb and Romo. And two 2nd year guys (Quin and McCain) scares the heck out of me.

Didn't read the article but the LB corps should be ranked in the top 5-10. Atleast that's what my eyes told me last year.

I don't feel this way because I've seen Jackson hold his own in the SEC and GQ didn't look bad last year especially in the Patriots game. I would be worried if we had to go with McCain/Bennett/Reeves. I think the Safeties can pick up the slack. We have a worst secondary than the NYG, Minnesota,Jags, and especially Seattle..LMAO. Pay no attention to this rating because it is probably some Eastern Sportwriters being polled. All young DBs have to do is go out there and make them take it back.

infantrycak
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM
I agree for the most part, but 32nd? These rankings are a joke overall, IMO. He basically has the Ravens ranked at 5 due to Ed Reed alone. I mean, he's an awesome player, but he's beat up and aging. The CB position is the biggest concern on the Ravens defense.

Meh, I definitely understand why our secondary should be ranked so low, but these rankings are a bit off-base if you ask me

Yup - anyone who ranks the Ravens secondary as top 5 is a joke.

gary
07-19-2010, 09:49 AM
He also basically listed the Raiders in the top ten because of their one great CB JMO.

dalemurphy
07-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Yep! Fortunately, this is the NFL and not the fiasco: college football! In the NFL, the media can rank a team as high or low as they want and it will mean absolutely nothing once the games are played. Ain't that refreshing!?!

Cjeremy635
07-19-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm definately concerned about the secondary. The lack of veteran leadership is going to haunt us this season, just my opinion though. I think we may be OK if we can get some pressure on the QBs and force the throws. If we don't do that, we're screwed. I know that's the same for every team, but I think it's more true for us due to the experience we have at the positions. I think Pollard is fine, other than that, I'm pretty worried. I would have liked to have seen us bring in someone else this offseason, with a couple of seasons under their belt, that can hit the ground running when the season starts and be a mentor to our young core. Who knows, we may shine in that area this season, I hope I'm wrong.

gary
07-19-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm definately concerned about the secondary. The lack of veteran leadership is going to haunt us this season, just my opinion though. I think we may be OK if we can get some pressure on the QBs and force the throws. If we don't do that, we're screwed. I know that's the same for every team, but I think it's more true for us due to the experience we have at the positions. I think Pollard is fine, other than that, I'm pretty worried. I would have liked to have seen us bring in someone else this offseason, with a couple of seasons under their belt, that can hit the ground running when the season starts and be a mentor to our young core. Who knows, we may shine in that area this season, I hope I'm wrong.
You just never can tell.

El Tejano
07-19-2010, 10:13 AM
I think when it comes to Quin, we basically have another Dunta with a bit better coverage skills. He's not afraid to run support. Kareem is going to have to play Manning anyways, appearantly everyone sees how good he is now though. If he doesn't do well, Reeves is more than capable to shore it up.

Hopefully, and to me this is the bigger question, we can get pressure with our front four, even front seven. If we can do that, the secondary will be very good.

Thorn
07-19-2010, 10:39 AM
More BS, but whatever, it's that time of the year when everyone has to rank everything because there's nothing else to talk about. LOL

TheRealJoker
07-19-2010, 11:24 AM
The LB ranking must be taking into account Cushing missing the first 4 games of the regular season.

Secondary ranking seems a bit harsh... there's gotta be someone worse than us!!!

dc_txtech
07-19-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't think anybody who watched Pollard play last year would describe him as a "league-average player".

JB
07-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I don't think anybody who watched Pollard play last year would describe him as a "league-average player".

That's the deal. Most of the people writing these types of articles have never watched the games other than a few highlights here and there and checking stat sheets.

Hell, lots of people this off season are calling Dunta a pro bowl caliber shutdown corner. :lol:

m5kwatts
07-19-2010, 11:46 AM
The writer of this article Jason Cole is a sportswriter, not a scout. Lets not get our medical advice from a school nurse.

El Tejano
07-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm interested to see what our secondary looked like after Pollard took over.

Tonaaayyyy
07-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Well the secondary definitely didn't prove anything last year, only bright side I saw was from Quin. Secondary will be better this year of course.

spurstexanstros
07-19-2010, 11:55 AM
well, as long as we dont resign Petey I am good. I think the Texans offense is going to have to be their defense...put up alot of points or keep the ball away from the other team with long drives.

ChampionTexan
07-19-2010, 12:13 PM
We were middle of the pack in virtually every significant statistical category of pass defense during the 2010 season. While stats can clearly be misleading at times, in this case, they do reflect what we were - a middle of the pack pass defense/secondary. How we end up dead last in the NFL going into next year is a bit of a mystery to me.

Yeah, Dunta's gone, but while he's not the talentless bum some made him out to be, he's also not the player that his contract with Atlanta would make you believe he is. Throw in the fact that we've got Pollard for a full year, Wilson should start more than 8 games this year (unless he gets beat out by somebody better than him), Quinn and McCain have a year of NFL experience under their belts, and oh yeah - we used the 20th overall pick in the draft to take a CB so it's not like we're replacing Dunta with some UDFA, and I can see a case for not expecting improvement, but a fairly drastic dropoff doesn't appear likely either.

Fortunately, the rankings (quantitative or qualitative) at the end of the 2010 season are the only ones that matter, so if we're 32 then, there won't be much debate about things - I just don't expect that to be the case.

Indy Skinnz
07-19-2010, 12:15 PM

Totally accurate. The Ravens corners are mediocre at best, and coming off knee injuries on top of that. As a coverage safety there is no one better than Reed, and he does cover mistakes. But those corners are absolutely the achilles heel of that team.

beerlover
07-19-2010, 12:16 PM
one hell of an effort if it was from a fans perspective & they took enough time to evaluate every teams strengths & weakness, but for a respectable professional outlet- garbage :voodoo:

Pollard alone is better than some secondarys. then the Texans used their #1 pick on a CB in 2010 draft who was a lock down corner on the nations best defense/team, two rookies last year proved they can cover, tackle & play in this league then Texans didn't lose any experienced corner/saftey not named Dunta in offseason. to me that says middle of the pack certainly not bringing up the rears.

In regards to LB's is there really any better tandem than DeMeco & Cushing? really? c'mon now, most of their top rated LB teams are hybrid 3-4 OLB's take Ware put him with the Texans & he's a RDE as are half of em, if thats the case they should include Barwin because in a 3-4 he would be a OLB not a RDE. The rest of the Texans LB's can play every position if needed, except maybe Adibi, but both Diles & the rookie (Sharpton) can play weakside or strongside plus middle linebacker. I'm telling you by mid-season Sharpton will make a name for himself, the kid can flat out play & lay his hat on anyone similar style to Pollard :evil:

Dutchrudder
07-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Our secondary certainly is in the bottom 5 right now. We have an unproven rookie CB on one side, a second year CB with upside across from him. Nobody declared as our free safety, and Pollard at SS who has had one good season. Experience is very thin in our DBs and they will have to prove otherwise this season.

Linebackers... well yeah we should be top 10, but they are also at a disadvantage for being in a 4-3, so there are less of them than other teams that play a 3-4. Silly rankings from Yahoo though...

disaacks3
07-19-2010, 12:45 PM
That's the deal. Most of the people writing these types of articles have never watched the games other than a few highlights here and there and checking stat sheets.

Hell, lots of people this off season are calling Dunta a pro bowl caliber shutdown corner. :lol: ...and that's the point they lose credibility with me.

OzzO
07-19-2010, 12:55 PM
...Hell, lots of people this off season are calling Dunta a pro bowl caliber shutdown corner. :lol:

I can see that because when he makes his one "big" hit a game, his brain shuts down for the next play while overcelebrating his achievement.

Texas T
07-19-2010, 01:12 PM
We were middle of the pack in virtually every significant statistical category of pass defense during the 2010 season. While stats can clearly be misleading at times, in this case, they do reflect what we were - a middle of the pack pass defense/secondary. How we end up dead last in the NFL going into next year is a bit of a mystery to me.

Yeah, Dunta's gone, but while he's not the talentless bum some made him out to be, he's also not the player that his contract with Atlanta would make you believe he is. Throw in the fact that we've got Pollard for a full year, Wilson should start more than 8 games this year (unless he gets beat out by somebody better than him), Quinn and McCain have a year of NFL experience under their belts, and oh yeah - we used the 20th overall pick in the draft to take a CB so it's not like we're replacing Dunta with some UDFA, and I can see a case for not expecting improvement, but a fairly drastic dropoff doesn't appear likely either.

Fortunately, the rankings (quantitative or qualitative) at the end of the 2010 season are the only ones that matter, so if we're 32 then, there won't be much debate about things - I just don't expect that to be the case.

Amen to that-I'm sure we'll be higher than that on Pollard alone. Add another good season from Quin and (hopefully) a great start for Jackson and that will be true.

Boy I'm ready for the season to start-then some of these rankings will matter.

ubecool454
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Our secondary certainly is in the bottom 5 right now. We have an unproven rookie CB on one side, a second year CB with upside across from him. Nobody declared as our free safety, and Pollard at SS who has had one good season. Experience is very thin in our DBs and they will have to prove otherwise this season.

Linebackers... well yeah we should be top 10, but they are also at a disadvantage for being in a 4-3, so there are less of them than other teams that play a 3-4. Silly rankings from Yahoo though...

I wonder if the Jets felt that way when they brought in Revis? I promise you that Jackson will make you forget about Dunta and will be the best DB that this franchise has seen yet...SEC yeah!

Hooston Texan
07-19-2010, 03:17 PM
This seems like an unfair rating only because the secondary we had last year was probably the best secondary we've had in franchise history with the possible exception of 2002. Dunta and Quin were fair at the corners while we got reliable play out of our safeties (at least when Wilson was healthy) for the first time--ever? That's all it took to eclipse past Texan secondaries.

Whether it happened by design or the lucky accident of Pollard falling from the sky, I'm just glad that we're past the "interchangeable safeties" fiction. Neither Wilson nor Pollard are complete safeties--the former is not a reliable tackler while the latter gets lost in coverage--but they are a good tandem. Wilson could be upgraded, but we can win with him back there (IF, if, if he stays healthy, of course) next to Pollard.

Corner is a complete mystery. Quin and Jackson better have the big-boy pants on when the bell rings.

Goldensilence
07-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Outside looking in I can see how it got rated low, but not this low.

Wilson can't seem to stay healthy and his back ups haven't been very good.

Pollard was an in season acquisition, but I've grown weary of the string of guys coming in and playing good for a year then fading. However, I'm very optimistic Pollard can change that.

We still don't know what we have in Nolan and Barber.

Not that Dunta was all pro but, he was the most recognizable name in the secondary prior to last year. In the mean time we've got Reeves who has played decently in the number two spot and about to likely get relegated to the nickel. It's a bit of a gamble going with a second year guy in Quinn and Rookie starter in Jackson.

Also a ton of young guys behind them.

Good news is I think we have a good enough front seven to cover while these guys grow.

Lucky
07-19-2010, 05:40 PM

Apparently, Gary Kubiak & Rick Smith don't.

I promise you that Jackson will make you forget about Dunta and will be the best DB that this franchise has seen yet...SEC yeah!
Wasn't Dunta from the SEC? As well as Fred Bennett?

Nobody declared as our free safety...
Eugene Wilson is the free safety. Fans want him replaced. But the Texans seem perfectly content with his services.

Speaking of jokes, checkout this Yahoo article (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-undersurveillanceravens071510) from last week on the Ravens:
Secondary is Ravens’ primary concern

In 2009, however, Baltimore’s secondary was a real problem. The Ravens allowed 300.5 yards per game – third best in the NFL – but the team’s 6.7 yards per attempt allowed and 31.3 first-down percentage through the air were decidedly average. That vulnerability really showed up against shotgun sets: On 385 attempts against them, the Ravens’ defense allowed 9.3 yards per play when teams ran shotgun, which was fifth worst in the NFL.

Even Yahoo is laughing at Yahoo.

JB
07-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Apparently, Gary Kubiak & Rick Smith don't.

Eugene Wilson is the free safety. Fans want him replaced. But the Texans seem perfectly content with his services.

Speaking of jokes, checkout this Yahoo article (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-undersurveillanceravens071510) from last week on the Ravens:

Even Yahoo is laughing at Yahoo.

Yahoo is becoming a lot like BleacherReport IMO.

Dutchrudder
07-19-2010, 05:46 PM
I wonder if the Jets felt that way when they brought in Revis? I promise you that Jackson will make you forget about Dunta and will be the best DB that this franchise has seen yet...SEC yeah!

I hope so, but right now that is all speculation, and it is largely the reason why they rank us 32. Until they prove otherwise, we are the bottom of the barrel in DBs.

b0ng
07-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Yahoo is becoming a lot like BleacherReport IMO.

The thing is BR doesn't try to pass itself off as a media outlet or source for anything other than fan speculation. BR can be interesting seeing what other people may think about your team, but then again going to other message boards can provide the same thing. You'll see a decent article out of BR on occasion but mostly it's just tripe.

Yahoo has really done themselves wrong on their rankings and then running opinion articles that don't support the rankings. Oh well.

If I had to grade the Texans secondary against the other 31 teams, I'd say that Atlanta has a pretty bad one that they are hoping Robinson can fix, and you could say that the Lions could be down there, even if Delmas was pretty good last season.

I don't see the youth of the Texans secondary being as major of a drawback as some others see it, so there you go. The Texans secondary has been pretty mediocre - below average for pretty much every year though. I can't really fault anybody for not knowing who/what is in our secondary because it has always been one of the worst units on the field over the years.

HOU-TEX
07-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Yeppers, they were both SC Gamecocks

I reckon I'm one of the few that think Wilson can get the job done. Is he the future? No, but when healthy, he plays the position just fine. IMO, he's the closest thing we have to an actual FS. The others seem to fit the mold of SS. Nolan might eventually change my mind once I see more of him.

BullNation4Life
07-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Well guys and gals look at it from a positive perspective...

Got nowhere to go but up and if the D-line can do it's job this year, the secondary will take care of itself....

As bad as it sounds, and as asinine as yahoosports can be, the ranking may be harsh but it is also true. How many other teams are going into a season with a 2nd yr CB, a rookie CB, a SS that was off the street, so to speak, but was a steal and an inspiration and a FS that is aged and cannot stay healthy?

Second Honeymoon
07-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Of course our secondary is 3rd rate
you get what you pay for

that plus no Cush for 4 games and a suspect pass rush and budget coaching doesn't make me very optimistic
hopefully our offense can maintain or it could be ugly

Mr teX
07-20-2010, 11:00 AM
A consistent pass rush alone would improve our secondary by 10 spots...

HOU-TEX
07-20-2010, 11:16 AM

Totally accurate. The Ravens corners are mediocre at best, and coming off knee injuries on top of that. As a coverage safety there is no one better than Reed, and he does cover mistakes. But those corners are absolutely the achilles heel of that team.

It looks like Reed might be starting the season on PUP too. Great job on the rankings, Poindexter.....er what ever the dude's name was

According to the Baltimore Sun, Ravens FS Ed Reed (hip surgery) is likely to begin the regular season on the PUP list.

Reed admits he's doubtful for Week 1, and placement on reserve/PUP would cost him the first six games. Ken Hamlin and Tom Zbikowski will compete at free safety in training camp. While Reed's early-season absence wouldn't be a death blow to Baltimore's fantasy defense, it won't help. The ballhawk ranks second behind only Darren Sharper on the active career interceptions list.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

BigBull17
07-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Of course our secondary is 3rd rate
you get what you pay for

that plus no Cush for 4 games and a suspect pass rush and budget coaching doesn't make me very optimistic
hopefully our offense can maintain or it could be ugly

We put a first round pick in our secondary. We resigned Pollard, Quinn is a 4th rounder, no small investment. They're not putting third rate investment into the secondary, they're putting real assets into the position.

BTW, I don;'t know how you justify us ranked 13th in linebackers. People get a little to caught up in the flashy stats of 3-4 teams.

beerlover
07-20-2010, 11:55 AM
We put a first round pick in our secondary. We resigned Pollard, Quinn is a 4th rounder, no small investment. They're not putting third rate investment into the secondary, they're putting real assets into the position.

BTW, I don;'t know how you justify us ranked 13th in linebackers. People get a little to caught up in the flashy stats of 3-4 teams.

totally agree with you on this :clap:

thunderkyss
07-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I think he's off his rocker as well. But I've felt the secondary has been the weakest part of our team for the last two, maybe three years. We've got one true play-maker back there, and I like Quinn, but I fear my rose colored glasses may be obstructing what I see. It's been a long time since I've seen a corner back knocking balls down, or just flat out being there to interfere with the catch. He looks like a play-maker to me, but his stats don't show it.

spurstexanstros
07-20-2010, 03:05 PM
A consistent pass rush alone would improve our secondary by 10 spots...

"pass rush what is that?"

Texans D-line

TimeKiller
07-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Bottom third of the league, sure. Not a very good ranking, sure.

LAST?!?!

No.

Brisco_County
07-20-2010, 06:27 PM
No one should take this ranking seriously. The fact that the guy didn't factor in Reed's injuries shows his aversion to research.

2slik4u
07-20-2010, 06:40 PM
How does everyone feel about the 6th overall O-Line ranking???

We kept Schaub pretty clean last year, if its based on that, then yes on the ranking. If they actually take in account run blocking, which doesnt seem to be the case then I think it may be a little high unfortunately.

gary
07-20-2010, 07:26 PM
How does everyone feel about the 6th overall O-Line ranking???

We kept Schaub pretty clean last year, if its based on that, then yes on the ranking. If they actually take in account run blocking, which doesnt seem to be the case then I think it may be a little high unfortunately.
I agree.

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
I can see that because when he makes his one "big" hit a game, his brain shuts down for the next play while overcelebrating his achievement.

From then on, usually, he is a shut out CB.

beerlover
07-24-2010, 08:50 AM
here is a big factor not taken into consideration, not sure how you can miss him or impact he had in just 13 games, screw sample size the guy is a player.

You can't hide him. He's a big, physical presence, even in practice in shorts. You know he's out there every day. He's a competitive guy, so there's always something going on, a fight or a screaming match or something, with Bernard. That's his personality. I'll be surprised if he's not a Pro Bowl safety this year, the way he works and the maturity he has developed on and off the field. He's become the leader of our group in the back end, and I think the sky's the limit for the guy."
- Defensive backs coach David Gibbs

BigBull17
07-24-2010, 11:30 AM
here is a big factor not taken into consideration, not sure how you can miss him or impact he had in just 13 games, screw sample size the guy is a player.

I dont think Pollard would allow our secondary to be last. Also, from everything I hear about Quinn he is the real deal.

ChampionTexan
07-24-2010, 12:28 PM
No one should take this ranking seriously. The fact that the guy didn't factor in Reed's injuries shows his aversion to research.

Another example of that is that when they interviewed the guy who did the ranking on 610, he stated that part of the reason the Texans were ranked #32 was that they had two second year guys (Quinn and McCain) at the starting CB positions. When Rich Lord pointed out that virtually everyone is expecting Jackson to start opposite Quinn, and that McCain was likely a nickle or dime CB, the guy just kind of ignored it and went on talking.

When someone like Rich Lord makes you look foolish, it's pretty much time to re-evaluate your entire existence.

BigBull17
07-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Another example of that is that when they interviewed the guy who did the ranking on 610, he stated that part of the reason the Texans were ranked #32 was that they had two second year guys (Quinn and McCain) at the starting CB positions. When Rich Lord pointed out that virtually everyone is expecting Jackson to start opposite Quinn, and that McCain was likely a nickle or dime CB, the guy just kind of ignored it and went on talking.

When someone like Rich Lord makes you look foolish, it's pretty much time to re-evaluate your entire existence.

Yeah, that guy sounded like he didn't even know the roster. After I heard him talk, I wasn't even concerned with his piece. Everyone knows Jackson is the other starter. Quinn played well last year and can only get better. Pollard was a pretty bad dude at SS.