PDA

View Full Version : Texanstalk.com versus HT message boards

ubecool454
07-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Anyone have any idea why this board seems to always be more active than the official message boards on the Texans website? I usually post on both but I always check to see who has the most active users and this one always has more......like right now it it 49-1 for the TT boards.

JB
07-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Maybe because this is where the true fans come.

Carr Bombed
07-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Anyone have any idea why this board seems to always be more active than the official message boards on the Texans website? I usually post on both but I always check to see who has the most active users and this one always has more......like right now it it 49-1 for the TT boards.

This board was "THE OFFICIAL MESSAGE BOARD".....Until they changed the format and alot of people didn't like the new board. This board has more members and gets more hits, because this is the original Texans message board.

It's like if someone brought back and hosted the old "TOMB", that would instantly become the #1 Titans message board.

Wolf
07-18-2010, 07:28 PM
for me it goes like this

a few years ago. I used to go to the official boards all the time and met everyone there and would lurk on the TT board The official board was getting different software and the Texans were kind enough to let TT have all the post history and software, and Hookem and others took all that and incorporated into this site. To me this became the official board in my eyes, and most of the people from the official board moved over to TT.

I did go to the Houston Texans board at first (after they redid the site) but it seemed very strange. this board seems to be more mature than the official board (IMO ) and however I haven't been to the official board in a long time (probably over a year) so things might have changed since then

guess you didn't ask for my testomony :hides:

Cjeremy635
07-18-2010, 07:31 PM
for me it goes like this

a few years ago. I used to go to the official boards all the time and met everyone there and would lurk on the TT board The official board was getting different software and the Texans were kind enough to let TT have all the post history and software, and Hookem and others took all that and incorporated into this site. To me this became the official board in my eyes, and most of the people from the official board moved over to TT.

I did go to the Houston Texans board at first (after they redid the site) but it seemed very strange. this board seems to be more mature than the official board (IMO ) and however I haven't been to the official board in a long time (probably over a year) so things might have changed since then

guess you didn't ask for my testomony :hides:

This, except for going back and lurking on the other site. I never go back there, this place is much better. When the switch happened, all of the regulars came here and it just seemd like the natural place to be. It felt comfortable, like the bar in Cheers.

GuerillaBlack
07-18-2010, 07:35 PM
I lurked at the other site a few months ago. It feels very elementary.

PapaL
07-18-2010, 07:49 PM
This is Sparta Err The Offical Board!

Honestly, it's the people that make this board so awesome.

FirstTexansFan
07-18-2010, 08:07 PM
This isn't the official Texans board? In my opinion, there is no doubt where the real Texans fans hang out :) The rest are amateurs... take that for what it's worth :)

thunderkyss
07-18-2010, 08:18 PM
You can't pass out rep on the other board.

& they don't talk a lot of football.

Or other stuff. (Babe of the Day)

BIG TORO
07-18-2010, 08:31 PM

speaking of babe of the day! I have to go!

rmartin65
07-18-2010, 08:42 PM
I joined this board before the 2-14 season. When they re-did the official board, I went over there. But like others have said, it did not feel right. So I found this place again, and have never been back there.

Hardcore Texan
07-18-2010, 08:51 PM
I lurked when this was the official board for about a year or more and then decided to join. After the switch over here, I didn't know all of our history had been moved. I tried staying with the "new" official board but just gave up and was pretty upset my favorite place for Texans news seem to disappear. And then, out of nowhere I saw a message in my junk mail, a response to a thread I was subscribed to before, I followed the link and BAM! I was back in business and miss several months of what others seem to already know.

Cjeremey, you mentioned it felt like Cheers, here was my first post when I re-discovered this board.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=688408&postcount=28

awtysst
07-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I had not thought about the Official board in a while. I signed up for an account over there in 3-31-2007 and have not signed in since 5-7-2007.

steelbtexan
07-18-2010, 09:23 PM
This is Sparta Err The Offical Board!

Honestly, it's the people that make this board so awesome.

This

I go there during the season and draft time occasionally.

This MB is the best I've seen in the entire NFL. Thanks Hookem.

Having the NSZ and other sports section on the MB helps keep the family together during the offseason. The official MB site took these options away.

I like having a place to go where we can debate politics and disagree. But wish each other Happy Birthday,offer condolences and offer help (if needed) to our fellow MB members. Like extended family

SheTexan
07-18-2010, 10:01 PM
This is a privately owed board, by Hookum Horns, thus we have a lot more freedom. Maybe I shouldn't say this, but, I have to be honest. I liked the old TT much better, before the switch. I understand why Hookum had to acquire the old MMB, but, the old TT was more like family, not as many jerks around as we have now. BUT, there are no words to express how much I appreciate what Hookum has done for all us TEXAN fans! Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good! :texflag:

ATXtexanfan
07-18-2010, 10:09 PM
i forgot about the other board

Fred
07-18-2010, 10:27 PM

+1 (there's some rep for ya!)

TK really nails it! No rep, no decent "other" discussion. A lot of the football discussion there is very childish (seems like a lot of "are the Texans perfect or only awesome" analysis).

Of course (like most people I think that) people who agree with me on things are really smart and people who disagree with me - not so much. Even so, on this board even the people who disagree with me (usually) make a more coherent and logical argument than most of the people on the other board.

Cjeremy635
07-18-2010, 10:38 PM
This is a privately owed board, by Hookum Horns, thus we have a lot more freedom. Maybe I shouldn't say this, but, I have to be honest. I liked the old TT much better, before the switch. I understand why Hookum had to acquire the old MMB, but, the old TT was more like family, not as many jerks around as we have now. BUT, there are no words to express how much I appreciate what Hookum has done for all us TEXAN fans! Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good! :texflag:

Gee, thanks! :bat:

CloakNNNdagger
07-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Anyone remember the ugly name IGNITE?

JCTexan
07-18-2010, 11:05 PM
+1 (there's some rep for ya!)

TK really nails it! No rep, no decent "other" discussion. A lot of the football discussion there is very childish (seems like a lot of "are the Texans perfect or only awesome" analysis).

Of course (like most people I think that) people who agree with me on things are really smart and people who disagree with me - not so much. Even so, on this board even the people who disagree with me (usually) make a more coherent and logical argument than most of the people on the other board.

That is the main reason I visit this board way more than the HT board. The people on this board just seem to be more knowledgeable about football than the people over at HT.

dalemurphy
07-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Anyone have any idea why this board seems to always be more active than the official message boards on the Texans website?

SecondHoneymoon!

Wolf
07-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I will go lurk at www.inthebullseye.com from time to time(much more so than HT official site.. I like some of keith's write ups esp when it used to be houstonprofootball.com back in the day

Hagar
07-18-2010, 11:19 PM
The sutting down of the old HT board was kinda fishy too. I'm not in the know, I'm just speculating, but everybody on the old HT board was really, really ***** towards the Texans, then all of the sudden, it was shut down.

I moved over to TT and here's where I've stayed. I've gone back to HT a few times but it just isn't the same.

HouSportsWriter
07-18-2010, 11:23 PM
GuerillaBlack I lurked at the other site a few months ago. It feels very [B]elementary\

Maby they would understand me beter then yall can haha ?

Hardcore Texan
07-18-2010, 11:38 PM
I lurked when this was the official board for about a year or more and then decided to join. After the switch over here, I didn't know all of our history had been moved. I tried staying with the "new" official board but just gave up and was pretty upset my favorite place for Texans news seem to disappear. And then, out of nowhere I saw a message in my junk mail, a response to a thread I was subscribed to before, I followed the link and BAM! I was back in business and miss several months of what others seem to already know.

Cjeremey, you mentioned it felt like Cheers, here was my first post when I re-discovered this board.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=688408&postcount=28

This was post # 7K for me....lol.....kind of fitting I guess.

CloakNNNdagger
07-19-2010, 12:06 AM
The sutting down of the old HT board was kinda fishy too. I'm not in the know, I'm just speculating, but everybody on the old HT board was really, really ***** towards the Texans, then all of the sudden, it was shut down.

I moved over to TT and here's where I've stayed. I've gone back to HT a few times but it just isn't the same.

IGNITE SPORTS MEDIA refused to make the format more customized to the board's needs and more friendly to the users. And the search and archives were ridiculously limited. The Texans were unwilling to force Ignite to accomodate, citing too much hassle and too much expense charged to them for the proposed formatting. They also relayed the fact that the MB was actually considered a money loser despite our arguments that the more the MB would attract members, the more lucrative the target for advertisers. But even with personal communications, the Texans front office tried to convince us that we already had the best MB in the NFL and they made it clear, although indirectly, that the MB was actually a pain, and treated it and ran it like its stepchild.

Texan_Bill
07-19-2010, 12:51 AM

You are soooooo old school!!!!!!!!! But, yeah you get it!! TexansTalk was a complete and separate entity from the old official board... There are many original members that are ironically enough, Blue Crew and Bull Pen members..... Somehow that history is forgotten, but we love Kevin (aka Hookem) nonetheless!!!!!!!

powerfuldragon
07-19-2010, 02:35 AM
not as many jerks around as we have now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/dealwithit.gif

BIG TORO
07-19-2010, 09:07 AM

I resemble that remark!:foottap:

HOU-TEX
07-19-2010, 09:39 AM
You are soooooo old school!!!!!!!!! But, yeah you get it!! TexansTalk was a complete and separate entity from the old official board... There are many original members that are ironically enough, Blue Crew and Bull Pen members..... Somehow that history is forgotten, but we love Kevin (aka Hookem) nonetheless!!!!!!!

Yeah, the old board was pretty sweet, but after it shutdown and having to deal with the "new" .com board It was like the family dog came home after being gone for a month. We've had several .com type members join here, but as long as the corps members of this board stay together it'll be the best.

I usually peruse our opponents boards throughout the season. I've yet to come across one that has better members. There are a few that are a little stubborn at times, but the football talk here is 2nd to none.

cuppacoffee
07-19-2010, 11:20 AM
not as many jerks around as we have now.

Sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good! :texflag:

There are a few that are a little stubborn at times,

I am starting to feel a little uncomfortable.:bag:

:coffee:

Joe Texan
07-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Do you know what I Know, probably not and it will stay that way

MojoMan
07-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Do you know what I Know, probably not and it will stay that way

What if someone offers to pay you a million dollars? Would you tell then?

:)

Double Barrel
07-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Houston Texans, Inc. - the company - did not value the commodity it had in the old official board. They switched to a 'new and improved' website that happened to have a basic forum feature. They made a financial decision that in no regard cared about the feelings of Texans fans.

At the same time, Kevin was struggling to keep TT alive, and we (Texans fans) came really close to losing both forums in a matter of weeks from each other. It was at that time that Kevin and Vinny migrated the official site's history - which was the same software that TT has now - to merge the history of both sites. Unfortunately, the old TT was based on software that could not be compatible, but Kevin, Vinny, and Khari tried for months behind the scenes to keep the old TT history in a merge, but it ultimately proved unsuccessful due to software limitations. I mention this because I think credit should be given accordingly, and much respect was always given to TT's history pre-merge.

I feel that TT is the official site, regardless of the fact that Houston Texans, Inc. does not support it. They have their all-in-one package website now, and with the lack of value that they put on team/fan forums, it represents the organization well in that capacity.

But TT represents Texans FANS - run, paid for, and maintained by FANS - so perhaps this is the way it was meant to be. TT is DIY tailgating, while the board at HT.com is Sysco frozen food. JMO

Much love and respect to all long-time TT peeps, as well as those 'official board' folks who made the migration and integrated into the good graces of Texans Talk. I know a lot of old-timers still yearn for the old days, but nostalgia is always 20/20 hindsight. :shades:

steelbtexan
07-19-2010, 12:06 PM
When have Houston Texans inc. not made financial decisions with regards to the bottom line. The fans are just a means to an end. IMHO

spurstexanstros
07-19-2010, 12:46 PM
The quality of the mainsite has fallen quite abit. There was an incident involving the posters and a really rude ravens fan. Dude insulted the city of Houston and franchise for postponing game after ike...i mean really brutal stuff. Some of the natives rose up and cracked back on the troll and had their profiles removed..banfest 08. Since then the regulars there dont post as much and now it has fallen prey to the spammers and newbs.

I dont post there as much because work put that mb on blocked list and so I have to post from home. Even then I only have enough time to update SA fans.

This site is much better......because it enables you to meet fans from all over the country and talk Texans or trash talk with other teams fans and where else can you see BA mowing the yard in a village peoples outfit.

IDEXAN
07-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I dont post there as much because work put that mb on blocked list and so I have to post from home. Even then I only have enough time to update SA fans.

You saying your employer banned access to another Texans' web-site but left this one open ? Interesting ?

Hookem Horns
07-19-2010, 01:02 PM
When have Houston Texans inc. not made financial decisions with regards to the bottom line. The fans are just a means to an end. IMHO

While running and maintaining a popular website can be pretty expensive for everyday folks like most of us here, it's only a drop in an ocean (notice I didn't say bucket) for a major corporation like the Houston Texans. For them cutting corners on their website just to save money would be pretty ridiculous. With that said I don't think that was their motive. This was an NFL thing. I believe "American Eagle" has a contract with the NFL and runs all of the teams sites now. I think all teams have to conform with the NFL and were forced to have their sites rebuilt by this company. Notice this didn't just happen to the Texans. Giants fans were bitching about having their site redone and having their board redone, as did the Titans. I think the Titans completely lost their board.

My initial reason for creating Texans Talk was because the original Texans board was horrible. We are talking 2002. The Texans finally installed a nice board and that board became popular (which is the one today) while Texans Talk became a smaller close knit family of fans that SheTexan referred to.

However around the time the Texans pulled the plug on this board (when it was the official one), Texans Talk was sort of dying and I am not sure how much longer I would have kept it around. IIRC Vinny approached me about hosting the old official board since he received permission to take it and they were going to build a new site. That is when I suggested merging the 2 which would save them from having to build a new site and also breath life back into Texans Talk. It wasn't popular with some from the old Texans Talk however most remained and adjusted. To my knowledge we only lost one poster that I consider a good friend however I think still peaks in every now and then as I am sure he is still a gr8 fan. ;)

GP
07-19-2010, 01:05 PM
i forgot about the other board

Same here. They still have one? LOL.

I stopped going there about, oh, let's see...since this board was established and the mods on here started laying down the smack on people who couldn't control themselves.

On the other board, I had people actually asking me to meet them at a truck stop and have fist-fight to settle an argument. Seriously. Then this board was created and the guys who had originally tried to help the texans.com board get more credible with its daily functioning came over here and started helping out with this board.

And the rest is history. I figured out that I could stay right here and have tons more fun than over at the "official" message board.

GP
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
You saying your employer banned access to another Texans' web-site but left this one open ? Interesting ?

Same thing for me, at my work! Texanstalk is not tagged as a message board, so it zips right through the filter.

Whatever you did (or didn't do) to make this happen, Kevin, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

thunderkyss
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
does anyone else have an @imatexan.com??

I use mine as my main account now.

FirstTexansFan
07-19-2010, 01:11 PM
On the other board, I had people actually asking me to meet them at a truck stop and have fist-fight to settle an argument. Seriously. Then this board was created and the guys who had originally tried to help the texans.com board get more credible with its daily functioning came over here and started helping out with this board.

And the rest is history. I figured out that I could stay right here and have tons more fun than over at the "official" message board.

And I'm tired of waiting on you to show up! ;)

GP
07-19-2010, 01:13 PM
While running and maintaining a popular website can be pretty expensive for everyday folks like most of us here, it's only a drop in an ocean (notice I didn't say bucket) for a major corporation like the Houston Texans. For them cutting corners on their website just to save money would be pretty ridiculous. With that said I don't think that was their motive. This was an NFL thing. I believe "American Eagle" has a contract with the NFL and runs all of the teams sites now. I think all teams have to conform with the NFL and were forced to have their sites rebuilt by this company. Notice this didn't just happen to the Texans. Giants fans were bitching about having their site redone and having their board redone, as did the Titans. I think the Titans completely lost their board.

My initial reason for creating Texans Talk was because the original Texans board was horrible. We are talking 2002. The Texans finally installed a nice board and that board became popular (which is the one today) while Texans Talk became a smaller close knit family of fans that SheTexan referred to.

However around the time the Texans pulled the plug on this board (when it was the official one), Texans Talk was sort of dying and I am not sure how much longer I would have kept it around. IIRC Vinny approached me about hosting the old official board since he received permission to take it and they were going to build a new site. That is when I suggested merging the 2 which would save them from having to build a new site and also breath life back into Texans Talk. It wasn't popular with some from the old Texans Talk however most remained and adjusted. To my knowledge we only lost one poster that I consider a good friend however I think still peaks in every now and then because I am sure he is still a gr8 fan. ;)

I was here when you first started this board. Saw one of your posts in the original houstontexans.com board threads you posted in, clicked it and made a few posts on your board, and then decided to make the full-time jump shortly after growing tired of the shenanigans at the texans.com board.

I was here during your conversion to this current board engine, and I was thrilled about the conversion. A lot of people were grumpy about it, but I'm an early adopter on stuff like that. I understood what you were doing, and I saw the wisdom in it. I think this engine you have is a lot like a Toyota Camry: It looks good, runs good, and just gets the job done.

I don't know what you had to do to acquire this thing, but it feels like you made out like a bandit (to me, at least). This place is awesome.

GP
07-19-2010, 01:17 PM
And I'm tired of waiting on you to show up! ;)

LOL! That was YOU?!?!

Seriously, though, I responded to the guy and told him that I remember that whole scene from the movie Dumb & Dumber (the bathroom stall scene) and I wasn't interested. He replied with more colorful language and descriptive comments about my mother.

Man, that place was a war zone. It was like the Afghanistan of message boards. People would jump out from the shadows and knife you, then disappear. LOL.

BIG TORO
07-19-2010, 01:18 PM
The people on the other site suck! I had one person sell me some tickets to the Tacks monday night game last year. So the guy tells me to send him a check and he would mail the tickets, I said ok deal I would put the check in the mail the following day. The next day I get a PM from the guy that read that the price had gone up 20 dollars because someone had offered him more money, and 20 dollars is not alot of money but it's the principle, and I have no respect for a man that can't keep his word, just not the way I was brought up. I told him to keep his tickets and to learn how to be a man!

FirstTexansFan
07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
LOL! That was YOU?!?!

Seriously, though, I responded to the guy and told him that I remember that whole scene from the movie Dumb & Dumber (the bathroom stall scene) and I wasn't interested. He replied with more colorful language and descriptive comments about my mother.

Man, that place was a war zone. It was like the Afghanistan of message boards. People would jump out from the shadows and knife you, then disappear. LOL.

Naaah, I've been threatened myself... I find it funny... :) Easy to be brave behind a keyboard, in reality, they would never say a word in person LOL

BIG TORO
07-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Naaah, I've been threatened myself... I find it funny... :) Easy to be brave behind a keyboard, in reality, they would never say a word in person LOL

Yeah, thats another thing, it's one of those sites where everybody talks smack because there behind a computer.

Carr Bombed
07-19-2010, 01:25 PM
does anyone else have an @imatexan.com??

I use mine as my main account now.

I do...but I only use it as a loophole to register on boards that don't let you use other free email accounts, like Clutchfans.com

IDEXAN
07-19-2010, 01:48 PM
On the other board, I had people actually asking me to meet them at a truck stop and have fist-fight to settle an argument.

Maybe that's what happened to the mysterious and long-gone Vinny ?
He challenged another poster to a truck-stop show-down and met his ultimate demise ?

infantrycak
07-19-2010, 01:54 PM
The migration here gutted HT.com. I remember Vinny calling me that the Texans had given him the history of the MB and was shocked. It was obvious if he found a home for it, which Hookem then graciously provided, most people were going to follow and that's exactly what happened. Then they compounded there\\ie mistake and got rid of most of the moderation. So now it is mostly new folks and there are not enough older posters and moderators to keep folks in line.

SheTexan
07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
I am starting to feel a little uncomfortable.:bag:

:coffee:

No reason to! ;) The "jerks" know who they are! Thankfully, some of them have disappeared and I hope they never return!!

It was a difficult adjustment for some of us, and I still miss some of the old posters who either moved on to other sites, or backed off completely. A lot of good football talk without all the "know it all" attitudes. At the time, Kevin and Vinny took the time to explain to me WHY things were changing, and I respected both of them enough to have an open mind and accept what they had to do. One of the reasons I seldom visited the OLD MMB was because of some of the posters that eventually ended up HERE! BUT, it has all worked out, and TT is a better place because of the change. Just like family, there are members you respect more than others. I have definitely learned a lot over the years, and I appreciate all the time you guys/gals take to surf the Internet for news, pics, videos, etc, and share with all the rest of us. I adore all you guys, and YES BILL, I am definitely OLD SCHOOL, but, that's because I am OLD!! :shetexan: BUT, still lovin my TEXANS!!!!:logo:

badboy
07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Houston Texans, Inc. - the company - did not value the commodity it had in the old official board. They switched to a 'new and improved' website that happened to have a basic forum feature. They made a financial decision that in no regard cared about the feelings of Texans fans.

At the same time, Kevin was struggling to keep TT alive, and we (Texans fans) came really close to losing both forums in a matter of weeks from each other. It was at that time that Kevin and Vinny migrated the official site's history - which was the same software that TT has now - to merge the history of both sites. Unfortunately, the old TT was based on software that could not be compatible, but Kevin, Vinny, and Khari tried for months behind the scenes to keep the old TT history in a merge, but it ultimately proved unsuccessful due to software limitations. I mention this because I think credit should be given accordingly, and much respect was always given to TT's history pre-merge.

I feel that TT is the official site, regardless of the fact that Houston Texans, Inc. does not support it. They have their all-in-one package website now, and with the lack of value that they put on team/fan forums, it represents the organization well in that capacity.

But TT represents Texans FANS - run, paid for, and maintained by FANS - so perhaps this is the way it was meant to be. TT is DIY tailgating, while the board at HT.com is Sysco frozen food. JMO

Much love and respect to all long-time TT peeps, as well as those 'official board' folks who made the migration and integrated into the good graces of Texans Talk. I know a lot of old-timers still yearn for the old days, but nostalgia is always 20/20 hindsight. :shades:Good refresher post on what happened. The old site was first MB of any type I belonged to and it fell apart. As I changed user IDs in the switch over none of my history came over. About 2,000 posts I guestimate. There is basically no comparison about this site compared to the old.

Let me use this opportunity to ask each of you to read Kevin's response to my questions under the "donations" section. Some months he meets expenditures with our donations and sometimes he does not. Please consider making a donation (only $5) to keep this going. IMO, Kevin should not have to make up any differences. If you consider this as "your board", then help us keep it that way by helping pay the way. I can not for the life of me understand why Kevin is short any month from the amount of posters we have.

Hookem Horns
07-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Let me use this opportinuty to ask each of you to read Kevin's response to my questions under the "donations" section. Some months he meets expenditures with our donations and sometimes he does not. Please consider making a donation (only $5) to keep this going. IMO, Kevin should not have to make up any differences. If you consider this as "your board", then help us keep it that way by helping pay the way. I can not for the life of me understand why Kevin is short any month from the amount of posters we have.

In lieu of donations, Cowboys vs Texans for Sept 26 would gladly be excepted. ;)

In all honesty, I would pay a fair price for them and am not looking for freebies.

BTW, someday I will have time to figure out how to make money off of this site so we won't need donators. Google ads surely didn't work and I refuse to sell ads to gambling sites (they seem to be the only ones that are willing to pay anything).

Cjeremy635
07-19-2010, 02:24 PM
In lieu of donations, Cowboys vs Texans for Sept 26 would gladly be excepted. ;)

In all honesty, I would pay a fair price for them and am not looking for freebies.

BTW, someday I will have time to figure out how to make money off of this site so we won't need donators. Google ads surely didn't work and I refuse to sell ads to gambling sites (they seem to be the only ones that are willing to pay anything).

What about 1-900 sites? Bill will surely give them some business.....:shades:

HOU-TEX
07-19-2010, 02:27 PM
What about 1-900 sites? Bill will surely give them some business.....:shades:

FlamingWheelbarrow would too.....you know, for those other 1-900 kind of sites.

Texan_Bill
07-19-2010, 02:33 PM
No reason to! ;) The "jerks" know who they are! Thankfully, some of them have disappeared and I hope they never return!!

It was a difficult adjustment for some of us, and I still miss some of the old posters who either moved on to other sites, or backed off completely. A lot of good football talk without all the "know it all" attitudes. At the time, Kevin and Vinny took the time to explain to me WHY things were changing, and I respected both of them enough to have an open mind and accept what they had to do. One of the reasons I seldom visited the OLD MMB was because of some of the posters that eventually ended up HERE! BUT, it has all worked out, and TT is a better place because of the change. Just like family, there are members you respect more than others. I have definitely learned a lot over the years, and I appreciate all the time you guys/gals take to surf the Internet for news, pics, videos, etc, and share with all the rest of us. I adore all you guys, and YES BILL, I am definitely OLD SCHOOL, but, that's because I am OLD!! :shetexan: BUT, still lovin my TEXANS!!!!:logo:

Well, we did have Harry's place (RIP) for a little while.... ;)

Drew_Smoke
07-19-2010, 02:41 PM

I would guess there are those like me that have businesses that would pay for the rotating billboard thing like my buddies do on their boards.

I wrote twice and asked about such and got no replies.

The thing I like about here is that we kinda police ourselves and are not afraid to smack our own.

ubecool454
07-19-2010, 02:50 PM
This

I go there during the season and draft time occasionally.

This MB is the best I've seen in the entire NFL. Thanks Hookem.

Having the NSZ and other sports section on the MB helps keep the family together during the offseason. The official MB site took these options away.

I like having a place to go where we can debate politics and disagree. But wish each other Happy Birthday,offer condolences and offer help (if needed) to our fellow MB members. Like extended family

Steel....stroll over to the Carolinahuddle.com sometimes. That is a very active board and they know their football pretty good. I like some of the avatars and kittys of the day too..lol I kind of like the Jags board too because they hate anything about the Texans over there.

badboy
07-19-2010, 02:54 PM

BTW, someday I will have time to figure out how to make money off of this site so we won't need donators. Google ads surely didn't work and I refuse to sell ads to gambling sites (they seem to be the only ones that are willing to pay anything).If you could just figure out to set up a virtual bar and charge for drinks, you could buy the Texans and the Cowboys!lol

ubecool454
07-19-2010, 02:58 PM
The people on the other site suck! I had one person sell me some tickets to the Tacks monday night game last year. So the guy tells me to send him a check and he would mail the tickets, I said ok deal I would put the check in the mail the following day. The next day I get a PM from the guy that read that the price had gone up 20 dollars because someone had offered him more money, and 20 dollars is not alot of money but it's the principle, and I have no respect for a man that can't keep his word, just not the way I was brought up. I told him to keep his tickets and to learn how to be a man!

Why not say some people on the other site sucks....I'm sure that when things get heated up, some on here might suck too..lol. Hell, I've been told on a lot of boards that I suck....but.....I don't think so..lol

ubecool454
07-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah, thats another thing, it's one of those sites where everybody talks smack because there behind a computer.

I'll knock anybody out from behind this keyboard:pissed:

CloakNNNdagger
07-19-2010, 03:05 PM

However around the time the Texans pulled the plug on this board (when it was the official one), Texans Talk was sort of dying and I am not sure how much longer I would have kept it around. IIRC Vinny approached me about hosting the old official board since he received permission to take it and they were going to build a new site. That is when I suggested merging the 2 which would save them from having to build a new site and also breath life back into Texans Talk. It wasn't popular with some from the old Texans Talk however most remained and adjusted. To my knowledge we only lost one poster that I consider a good friend however I think still peaks in every now and then as I am sure he is still a gr8 fan. ;)

DoubleBarrel and you have pretty well summarized our history. The one thing I do have to agree with(which DB and I alluded to in our posts) is that the Texans front office did not value the MB and their fans. I remember when Vinny and I were working together on the original HTMB trying by a myriad of phone calls and written communications to voice our concerns with the format and the user unfriendliness, and HT's generalized inattention to MB fan base. Remember, this was when they were not "bound" by any conforming NFL mandates. They had the choice to listen and to make reasonably requested changes. In personal phone communications to me at the time (just before the mass migration to TT), the Texans stated, in paraphrase, "The MB is part of a package.......Changes would be expensive..........And, besides, we see no need."

I bless the day that both Kevin and Vinny invited me over to be part of what I consider the greatest MB in the NFL.

BTW, I, too, miss my friend Pete. If you ever talk to him, please give him my best and tell him I hope our paths meet up again either here (give it another try, Pete) or in person.

Hookem Horns
07-19-2010, 03:06 PM
I would guess there are those like me that have businesses that would pay for the rotating billboard thing like my buddies do on their boards.

I wrote twice and asked about such and got no replies.

The thing I like about here is that we kinda police ourselves and are not afraid to smack our own.

You wrote us about that?

SheTexan
07-19-2010, 03:15 PM
BTW, I, too, miss my friend Pete. If you ever talk to him, please give him my best and tell him I hope our paths meet up again either here (give it another try, Pete) or in person.

I keep up with him and Diana Cloak, I'll pass on the message.

I know AJ post occassionally, but, I sure miss him HERE. I read his stuff on The Examiner, but, just not like having him first hand.

Yes Bill, I miss Harry also! A diehard Eagles fan starting a MB for Texan fans!! lol GO figure~ May he definitely RIP!!

Double Barrel
07-19-2010, 03:15 PM
DoubleBarrel and you have pretty well summarized our history. The one thing I do have to agree with(which DB and I alluded to in our posts) is that the Texans front office did not value the MB and their fans. I remember when Vinny and I were working together on the original HTMB trying by a myriad of phone calls and written communications to voice our concerns with the format and the user unfriendliness, and HT's generalized inattention to MB fan base. Remember, this was when they were not "bound" by any conforming NFL mandates. They had the choice to listen and to make reasonably requested changes. In personal phone communications to me at the time (just before the mass migration to TT), the Texans stated, in paraphrase, "The MB is part of a package.......Changes would be expensive..........And, besides, we see no need."

I bless the day that both Kevin and Vinny invited me over to be part of what I consider the greatest MB in the NFL.

yep. Houston Texans, Inc. did not have to go with an all-in-one website/forum package. IIRC, some NFL teams still have their official forums with vBulletin.

And seeing behind the scenes, the Texans simply do not treat their admins and those than volunteer their free time to support their billion dollar business like some other NFL teams provide support. I've never expected anything, but admins put in a LOT of time and effort behind the scenes, and the Texans don't even bother with a thank you Christmas card (compared to the nice swag given by other franchises).

I love my team, but I'm not going to be a blind homer about the company. They are, of course, two sides of the same coin.

Chance_C
07-19-2010, 03:31 PM
I miss Pete and AJ also. Gr8fan was the first person I ever went to a game with. I met him at the tailgate, and it was on!!

Chance_C
07-19-2010, 03:33 PM
And why is everyone so hush hush on Vinny? Somebody knows what's up? Is he OK?

Cjeremy635
07-19-2010, 03:34 PM

I asked a while back too. I think someone said he was taking a break until it got closer to the season. IIRC, he MODs on another MB as well.

Double Barrel
07-19-2010, 03:47 PM

He's probably sitting on a mountain in Tibet sipping green tea while breathless tourists make the trek to beg for words of wisdom.

p.s. a message in a bottle said Vinny is alright

Hookem Horns
07-19-2010, 03:51 PM

That's good to know because I haven't heard from him either.

beerlover
07-19-2010, 04:07 PM

yeah like this board is alright but much better with Vinny :mail:

CloakNNNdagger
07-19-2010, 04:08 PM
For them cutting corners on their website just to save money would be pretty ridiculous. With that said I don't think that was their motive. This was an NFL thing. I believe "American Eagle" has a contract with the NFL and runs all of the teams sites now. I think all teams have to conform with the NFL and were forced to have their sites rebuilt by this company. Notice this didn't just happen to the Texans. Giants fans were bitching about having their site redone and having their board redone, as did the Titans. I think the Titans completely lost their board.

yep. Houston Texans, Inc. did not have to go with an all-in-one website/forum package. IIRC, some NFL teams still have their official forums with vBulletin.

I actually looked into this situation when the Tacks lost their MB. The NFL did not mandate to a uniform American Eagle website design. Only the Texans, Giants, Bears and Eagles have contracted with this company. Since the beginning of 2009, they informed each NFL team that they would review each team's site and bring them under "conformity." This was to be done in stages over a 2 year period.

The Cardinals are a great example. They kept their MB up and running. This portion of the board was and is privately funded from the team. Arizona was informed that the main Cardinals website was going to be taken over by the NFL, but that they could still have the message board. It would be at the choice of the teams, but the NFL wouldn't fund it, they would have to pay for it themselves. Would it surprise anyone that Benevolent Bud and the Titans would decide against continuing to pay for it.......their fans' only choice?........beginning their own splinter MBs. Notice that the HT website is American Eagle, and the MB is still VBulletin.

BIG TORO
07-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Why not say some people on the other site sucks....I'm sure that when things get heated up, some on here might suck too..lol. Hell, I've been told on a lot of boards that I suck....but.....I don't think so..lol

True, but you get the idea. Im sure there are some good people on that site, but here it's more like friends and family! For the most part people respect and you don't try to screw people over or talk smack.

badboy
07-19-2010, 04:34 PM
I miss Pete and AJ also. Gr8fan was the first person I ever went to a game with. I met him at the tailgate, and it was on!!AJ got a raw deal from the Texans imo when he was writing on that forum.

Double Barrel
07-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Notice that the HT website is American Eagle, and the MB is still VBulletin.

I didn't notice until you mentioned it about the HT.com site still being vBulletin. Which means it can have all the whistles and bells, but the company just chooses not to provide them.

I tried to help Vinny & 'cak mod over there after the merge, but I just couldn't get into it. The spirit was gone and it just felt like a very sterile shell of it's former self. I haven't been to the official board in a long time.

Joe Texan
07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
I miss Pete and AJ also. Gr8fan was the first person I ever went to a game with. I met him at the tailgate, and it was on!!

you met him in the Blue Crew with his stolen Picnic table

infantrycak
07-19-2010, 05:18 PM
I didn't notice until you mentioned it about the HT.com site still being vBulletin. Which means it can have all the whistles and bells, but the company just chooses not to provide them.

HT.com went to vBulletin, then went away (against all advice) and is now back at vBulletin. The software in between was crap and almost unusable.

On a side note - I wish gr8 and aj would come back as well. Miss hervoyel as well although he has been sighted at HT.com recently.

HOU-TEX
07-19-2010, 05:20 PM
HT.com went to vBulletin, then went away (against all advice) and is now back at vBulletin. The software in between was crap and almost unusable.

On a side note - I wish gr8 and aj would come back as well. Miss hervoyel as well although he has been sighted at HT.com recently.

Why would he go over there and not come here? Did something happen?

infantrycak
07-19-2010, 05:24 PM

No idea. He left one day, didn't go to either board for several months and then showed up there a week or two ago.

Double Barrel
07-19-2010, 05:35 PM

o.k., that's what I was wondering. I thought that they initially got away from vBulletin and the forum package was pure garbage. My memory is refreshed now, because I remember Vinny talking about them going back to vBulletin, but being disappointed that they did not want to do much with it.

I miss Herv and Vinny on these pages, and I hope the passion of football season eventually draws them back into the funny pages.

CloakNNNdagger
07-19-2010, 05:37 PM

All are die hard fans with their own unique contributions in the past. I also miss Vinny with his insightful and many times fiesty posts.

Carr Bombed
07-19-2010, 05:41 PM
All are die hard fans with their own unique contributions in the past. I also miss Vinny with his insightful and many times fiesty posts.

Yeah, what happened to Vinny?

Hookem Horns
07-19-2010, 05:44 PM

I am sure most of these guys will be back around during the season. Well maybe not Pete, I think he just got burned out with some of the personal clashes he had with some individuals.

I think it all started when he told all of us that Carr would not pan out VERY early in the Carr era (during the 2nd season maybe?). Of course he got piled on for being a "hater".

Carr Bombed
07-19-2010, 06:04 PM
LOL, what this team needs is a playoff appearance. I have noticed that over the last couple of seasons this board has been getting more heated (and I know I've been guilty of it).......I think alot of it is just frustration. (the way the organization celebrated 9-7 really irritated me) An actual postseason appearance would go a LONG way in making this a more civil place :)

Wolf
07-19-2010, 06:06 PM
there were some very good HWSNN debates :chili:

Kubiak and McNair ones are on the mild side :lion:

but I agree with you CB!

Rey
07-19-2010, 06:10 PM
This board has more character to me...I think it's because there is so much other stuff that is discussed here besides football

JB
07-19-2010, 06:29 PM

aj still posts occasionally. He was here just a week ago.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1470188#post1470188

gary
07-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Where is this babe of the day thread? Not to highjack this thread but I do not see it anymore.

JB
07-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Where is this babe of the day thread? Not to highjack this thread but I do not see it anymore.

in the NSFW forum

Wolf
07-19-2010, 06:33 PM
in the NSFW forum

Not Safe For William (bill) section?

:texanbill:

WWJD
07-19-2010, 06:35 PM
I lurked at the other site a few months ago. It feels very elementary.

The other board is really nothing more than smack about 95% of the time.

gary
07-19-2010, 06:36 PM
in the NSFW forumWhere is that?

JB
07-19-2010, 06:37 PM
Not Safe For William (bill) section?

:texanbill:

I thought it was the Nothing Safe From William section

Carr Bombed
07-19-2010, 06:44 PM
where is that?

nsta

gary
07-19-2010, 06:49 PM
nstaI have looked there a bunch.

JB
07-19-2010, 06:51 PM
I have looked there a bunch.

Go there and look at the top of the page where it lists the sub-forums

MojoMan
07-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Here is the url for the NSFW forum:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Texecutioner
07-19-2010, 06:54 PM

Well, one thing with this board is that you might end up seeing some of the people in person at some point unlike many other boards where people become computer gangsters. A lot of people in here talk about where they live, where they eat at, things they like to do around Houston and what not.

I found out about this board through Dante (Texans84). So if anyone can't stand me, then you can blame Dante about that one. :fingergun: Him and I knew each other from another football board where fans from all NFL teams post and we hated each other for a long time and then became pals after while and he told me about this place.

gary
07-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Here is the url for the NSFW forum:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63I'm not allowed to visit page it says.

infantrycak
07-19-2010, 06:58 PM
aj still posts occasionally. He was here just a week ago.

I know. He used to post a lot more and I liked his participation. I learned a ton on the salary cap from him for example.

I have looked there a bunch.

gary - pm me about this.

Lucky
07-19-2010, 07:03 PM
AJ got a raw deal from the Texans imo when he was writing on that forum.
I think aj's work is much better at examiner.com than at the official site. Maybe he felt he was restricted in his criticism?
Herv didn't say it directly, but I got the feeling that he thought his posts were being "stalked", for lack of a better term. It happens. There are some very solid contributors to this forum who have personality conflicts with other good posters. I'm not sure why it happens. I think Herv just grew tired of this. I hope he returns.

axman40
07-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Texans Talk rocks the doors off the HT MB!
:texflag:

Speedy
07-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Texanstalk.com versus HT message boards

Crap!!! I thought this was a challenge. TT Bulls vs. HT Lame O's - Tackle football.

Sign me up!!

Hardcore Texan
07-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Well, one thing with this board is that you might end up seeing some of the people in person at some point unlike many other boards where people become computer gangsters. A lot of people in here talk about where they live, where they eat at, things they like to do around Houston and what not.

I found out about this board through Dante (Texans84). So if anyone can't stand me, then you can blame Dante about that one. :fingergun: Him and I knew each other from another football board where fans from all NFL teams post and we hated each other for a long time and then became pals after while and he told me about this place.

The bolded is very true. I have met dozens of people from here, great fans all around!

zanth91
07-20-2010, 12:05 AM
There's so much bashing going on about my home that I almost don't want to associate myself with it. lol

*Makes my entrance* :texan:

infantrycak
07-20-2010, 12:30 AM
There's so much bashing going on about my home that I almost don't want to associate myself with it. lol

*Makes my entrance* :texan:

For my part it isn't bashing as obviously I invest time in both. But the Texans need to give us the tools to grow HT.com. It will be a different group for the most part and that is fine but we need more help and they won't let us have it.

b0ng
07-20-2010, 12:37 AM
To me, it just seems that HT.com doesn't have as quality posts over there. Whether it's due to moderation (Although I really don't see how since the moderators are mostly the same, I think), or it's just because one board polices itself better, the conversation is usually not as gripping or sometimes not even in reality.

However I will lay out a wall of text over there on a troll (especially a Saints or a VY troll) because, for the most part, nobody is getting their posts moderated. This is like a double edged sword because on one hand, you can blast anybody however you want (for the most part, I haven't been pimp slapped over there yet), but you always get the equivalent of somebody sticking their fingers in their ears saying "Nuh Uh!".

The forums that I usually spend time on though don't have auto-filters, so both this forum and HT.com will surprise me with some stars when I'm not expecting it.

zanth91
07-20-2010, 12:48 AM
For my part it isn't bashing as obviously I invest time in both. But the Texans need to give us the tools to grow HT.com. It will be a different group for the most part and that is fine but we need more help and they won't let us have it.

Ah, well that's a dissapointment. I'm generally fine with it (minus the trolls), but perhaps the quality of the experience could be increased for some of the other users.

SheTexan
07-20-2010, 08:30 AM
I visit the other board occassionally, just to check out topics, and see if other teams fans are paying us a visit. BUT, I have found that most topics are already posted here with a lot better discussion and insite. I do think more of our "enemies" go there though. Doubtful they know about this board, and I hate that. It's always fun reading a little good natured smack! I detest trolls and ignore them, but, picking on a few "meatball" and "girl" fans just makes my day!!:):zipit:

Khari!! We need a Titan, Colt, and Jag smilie similar to the Cowboy one!

WOOHOO!! Is it football time in HOUSTON yet!! I just got an adrenaline rush!!:hurrah:

TEXANS84
07-20-2010, 08:51 AM

Guilty.

HoustonFrog
07-20-2010, 08:52 AM
No offense to some that go over there or moderate there but the few times I have been there it just seemed that the maturity level was much lower there. There is a reason I have stayed here so long despite my cheering backround...people and quality of subject/threads. Afterall it is no fun debating and discussing when you aren't getting quality feedback. I expect that quality here. I do missy Vinny and appreciate the hardwork of the people who run and moderate this board. :toast2:

HOU-TEX
07-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Herv didn't say it directly, but I got the feeling that he thought his posts were being "stalked", for lack of a better term. It happens. There are some very solid contributors to this forum who have personality conflicts with other good posters. I'm not sure why it happens. I think Herv just grew tired of this. I hope he returns.

That's unfortunate. He seems like a good dude to me. Quality posts too. It'd be nice to know who had a problem with him.

HoustonFrog
07-20-2010, 09:52 AM
That's unfortunate. He seems like a good dude to me. Quality posts too. It'd be nice to know who had a problem with him.

Agree. He was a favorite of mine and I loved that he had open eyes to the club and alot of subjects and wrote very eloquently on them.

Hardcore Texan
07-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Agree. He was a favorite of mine and I loved that he had open eyes to the club and alot of subjects and wrote very eloquently on them.

I hope Herv returns as well. I enjoy his take on a lot of subjects.

HOU-TEX
07-20-2010, 10:03 AM

I hope Herv returns as well. I enjoy his take on a lot of subjects.

If y'all happen to visit that board, shoot him a PM and tell him to get his rearend back over here. We can deal with this stalker

GP
07-20-2010, 10:16 AM
I asked a while back too. I think someone said he was taking a break until it got closer to the season. IIRC, he MODs on another MB as well.

I thought he did some work on the 49ers board.

And since Carr is with the 9ers now, I am sure he has his hands full over there.

I know he'll be back when things get rolling in August.

GlassHalfFull
07-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Speaking of missing people, I miss Marcie.

:glasshalffull: :heart: :diapher:

Hardcore Texan
07-20-2010, 10:32 AM

Me too, at least we can keep up with her of FB.

IDEXAN
07-20-2010, 10:33 AM

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Harry S. Truman

Khari
07-20-2010, 10:33 AM
:backsout:

Texan_Bill
07-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Yeah!! No doubt!!! I miss her too.

HoustonFrog
07-20-2010, 10:38 AM
If y'all happen to visit that board, shoot him a PM and tell him to get his rearend back over here. We can deal with this stalker

I went over and shot him a message!

SheTexan
07-20-2010, 10:43 AM

Me too! BUT, she loves her new job and stays super busy with all her OLD folks! lol I told her I was gonna move into her "home" just so I could chat with her!! We're gonna teach all those old folks up there how to tailgate the TEXAN way!!!

PLUS!! I wish I could figure out a way to delete her Farmtown!! She's addicted!:)

Texan_Bill
07-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Me too! BUT, she loves her new job and stays super busy with all her OLD folks! lol I told her I was gonna move into her "home" just so I could chat with her!! We're gonna teach all those old folks up there how to tailgate the TEXAN way!!!

PLUS!! I wish I could figure out a way to delete her Farmtown!! She's addicted!:)

I think Ima call her this weekend. It's been a long time. :handshake:

GlassHalfFull
07-20-2010, 10:52 AM

You would think she would get enough of that in real life. lol.

SheTexan
07-20-2010, 10:57 AM

LOL!! You would think!! She just got finished with FAIR also, so maybe she's had enough farming for awhlie! We all need to let her know we miss her!!

Texan_Bill
07-20-2010, 11:02 AM
LOL!! You would think!! She just got finished with FAIR also, so maybe she's had enough farming for awhlie! We all need to let her know we miss her!!

Seems like there is always a fair, or livestock show up there..

infantrycak
07-20-2010, 11:10 AM
To me, it just seems that HT.com doesn't have as quality posts over there. Whether it's due to moderation (Although I really don't see how since the moderators are mostly the same, I think), or it's just because one board polices itself better, the conversation is usually not as gripping or sometimes not even in reality.

It was the same. Now the moderation is basically Khari as admin and edo and I as moderators. The other problem is lack of mature feedback. Our posters here will often say someone is going overboard without name calling. HT.com needs more of that in addition to more moderators.

No offense to some that go over there or moderate there but the few times I have been there it just seemed that the maturity level was much lower there.

Spot on. Just fewer people there willing to self control or to politely correct misconduct.

Dutchrudder
07-20-2010, 11:14 AM

Did you know you can block messages from those apps on your facebook feed?

HOU-TEX
07-20-2010, 11:18 AM
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Harry S. Truman

Soo, I guess you were the one stalking his posts? If not, why bother commenting

WWJD
07-20-2010, 12:31 PM
It was the same. Now the moderation is basically Khari as admin and edo and I as moderators. The other problem is lack of mature feedback. Our posters here will often say someone is going overboard without name calling. HT.com needs more of that in addition to more moderators.

Spot on. Just fewer people there willing to self control or to politely correct misconduct.

I have to give you props..for all the idiocy over there you do your very best. It's definitely not a board friendly to other teams fans.

badboy
07-20-2010, 12:39 PM
I think aj's work is much better at examiner.com than at the official site. Maybe he felt he was restricted in his criticism?
Herv didn't say it directly, but I got the feeling that he thought his posts were being "stalked", for lack of a better term. It happens. There are some very solid contributors to this forum who have personality conflicts with other good posters. I'm not sure why it happens. I think Herv just grew tired of this. I hope he returns.You got it in one guess. During an exchange of emails he did not blast higher ups but he was basically restricted. I read his stuff on the web site and even his criticisms of team were fair and well voiced. Nothing like what we see every day during season on here.

Yankee_In_TX
07-20-2010, 12:43 PM

lmao!!!!!!!!

badboy
07-20-2010, 12:45 PM
I visit the other board occassionally, just to check out topics, and see if other teams fans are paying us a visit. BUT, I have found that most topics are already posted here with a lot better discussion and insite. I do think more of our "enemies" go there though. Doubtful they know about this board, and I hate that. It's always fun reading a little good natured smack! I detest trolls and ignore them, but, picking on a few "meatball" and "girl" fans just makes my day!!:):zipit:

Khari!! We need a Titan, Colt, and Jag smilie similar to the Cowboy one!

WOOHOO!! Is it football time in HOUSTON yet!! I just got an adrenaline rush!!:hurrah:Well, shake your heiny and sit down. It may just go away. lol:butterfly:

IDEXAN
07-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Soo, I guess you were the one stalking his posts? If not, why bother commenting

It was advise that apparently this Herky guy (or whatever his handle was ?) took himself and just moved on because he was uncomfortable with the comments of others on the Board. Sounds like to me he made the right move.

GP
07-20-2010, 01:25 PM
It was advise that apparently this Herky guy (or whatever his handle was ?) took himself and just moved on because he was uncomfortable with the comments of others on the Board. Sounds like to me he made the right move.

His handle is Herv, or Hervoyel which was the long version.

I value Herv, and others on here, even though I might not agree with their statements. Big deal if he wants to bail for awhile. To a degree, we've all imposed self-made bans on ourselves to help us get clarity on this thing called message boarding.

I don't appreciate you minimizing his existence on here. Have a shred of decency, please.

IDEXAN
07-20-2010, 01:53 PM
His handle is Herv, or Hervoyel which was the long version.

I value Herv, and others on here, even though I might not agree with their statements. Big deal if he wants to bail for awhile. To a degree, we've all imposed self-made bans on ourselves to help us get clarity on this thing called message boarding.

I don't appreciate you minimizing his existence on here. Have a shred of decency, please.
OK Herv, sorry ! And how on earth did I minimize his existence on here ?
Was he like revered or something in these parts at one time ?
And have a "shred of decency" ? What ? Unless the guy actually died or was incapacitated, that's really comical, no make that downright silly.
If I understand, he left (and maybe just temporarily anyway) of how own
volition, and you seem to treat it as his mortal passing or something.
But stiff upper lip there Laddy, he'll probably be back anyway once the RS starts. Then you'll have your clarity back, OK ?

HOU-TEX
07-20-2010, 02:20 PM
And have a "shred of decency" ? What ? Unless the guy actually died or was incapacitated, that's really comical, no make that downright silly.
But stiff upper lip there Laddy, he'll probably be back anyway once the RS starts. Then you'll have your clarity back, OK ?

If he chose to leave, fine, but if he had a member following and rudely commenting on practically every post he made would make it a bit different, no?

He's a long time member here and is one of the core members, if you ask me. Considering you're pretty new, it might do you some good to go back and read up on some of his threads.

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Since you haven't been with us until this past February, it probably wouldn't hurt to be a little more respectful of any members that have significantly contributed to the success of this MB. I'm sure, I can speak for most of us when I say we welcome you and your opinions, and look forward to you becoming one of those long-term contributors. Meanwhile, it takes time to develop your peers' respect. Your "rookie" status should not diminish the value of your opinions, but should give you pause before making comments which could predictably incite.

Kaiser Toro
07-20-2010, 02:48 PM
I left the HT MB when they made the decision to change the look and feel of the board. The Texans MB was the first I had ever signed up for (to this day I am only registered, and hardly active, on one other), and have no intention of going back.

Like my travels in real life, a place that I like to be a part of consists of folks with diverse opinions that have a shared passion and are able to communicate in some form. When the regular contributing members followed the history and software, it was no brainer for me to follow.

This is a community, an extended family of sorts, that has amazingly worked for many years during a hyper growth, and fragmented, period in communication.

IDEXAN
07-20-2010, 02:50 PM
If he chose to leave, fine, but if he had a member following and rudely commenting on practically every post he made would make it a bit different, no?

Well now you've gone and aroused my interest. You mean to tell me that this Herv was actually being stalked by another poster on this website, who subsequently drove Herv to exit the Board ?

MojoMan
07-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Well now you've gone and aroused my interest. You mean to tell me that this Herv was actually being stalked by another poster on this website, who subsequently drove Herv to exit the Board ?

It would be interesting to read Herv's comments on this situation, rather than just the second-hand reports we are currently getting. The thing about a message board is that everyone can see the comments that everyone else makes. So, with as many regular posters as we have here, it would be difficult for someone to be stalking Herv like this without someone else noticing it. Although I never noticed it, I am just one poster. But it appears that nobody else noticed it. Is that right?

Also, there are remedies for this kind of harassing behavior, especially for someone with Herv's longtime credentials. Did he not mention it to anyone? Did he not mention it to a moderator? This just does not sound altogether right to me. It seems that something is missing from this story.

badboy
07-20-2010, 03:42 PM
As most of you know I have a history of some pretty heated debates on most of the MB's forums, especially the one that allowed us to debate on religion. I just do not like to hear of anyone thinking they have to leave because of "hater" posts. If anyone is "bullying" another, then the mods should handle that. We as a group of individuals should be able to disagree on topics and POV without getting angry.

spurstexanstros
07-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Same thing for me, at my work! Texanstalk is not tagged as a message board, so it zips right through the filter.

Whatever you did (or didn't do) to make this happen, Kevin, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

yeah...thats what happened to me too..but they caught on after awhile.....bastards...

Showtime100
07-20-2010, 03:51 PM
I just logged on to the site for grins. Apparently I last was there was 12/18 at 2 in the afternoon. Right now there are four posters plus myself. Whooot.

Lauren
07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
I haven't logged into the main site since 9/17/2007. I honestly thought it had been even longer than that.

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2010, 10:16 PM
As most of you know I have a history of some pretty heated debates on most of the MB's forums, especially the one that allowed us to debate on religion. I just do not like to hear of anyone thinking they have to leave because of "hater" posts. If anyone is "bullying" another, then the mods should handle that. We as a group of individuals should be able to disagree on topics and POV without getting angry.

Herv is not the type that will run to the mod power to act on his behalf. "Bullied" is not probably an accurate description of what was going on. Maybe "hounded." I can't remember exact details. But what I noticed was that a couple of posters tended to always comment negatively on his posts, challenging him to respond. Responding appropriately was to no avail. Rhetorical questions thrown at Herv, many times sarcastically seemed to be generated for the sole purpose to annoy. Despite his addressing each retort, there was little let up. Any serious poster trying to participate in a discussion and in doing so trying to relate valid opinions to "dead ears", gets tired of expending energy needlessly..........and just gets plain burned out after a while...........a personal decision to take a break should require no further explanation now or upon return.

Bull Pen 1
07-20-2010, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=Hookem Horns;1475479]In lieu of donations, Cowboys vs Texans for Sept 26 would gladly be excepted. ;)

Done deal Kevin, glad to have you in the Bull Pen

drs23
07-20-2010, 11:12 PM
yeah...thats what happened to me too..but they caught on after awhile.....bastards...

That sux:foottap:

GP
07-21-2010, 12:41 AM

Your entire rant right there reeks of a-hole'ishness.

Congrats, stay classy IDEXAN.

You weren't trying very hard to understand the situation. You just popped off and ran your mouth, which is interesting since I'd say 98% of the discussion in this thread is about the level of a-hole'ishness that exists at the "other" board.

Instead of asking for more information, you jumped in and ran your mouth about a guy that I think almost everyone here really enjoys having conversations with. Misnaming him was classy, too.

Dude, whatever. Keep on keepin' on, and all that jazz...

Texas T
07-21-2010, 07:35 AM

I'm so happy they haven't stopped me at work yet...please don't tell them.

Double Barrel
07-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Herv is not the type that will run to the mod power to act on his behalf. "Bullied" is not probably an accurate description of what was going on. Maybe "hounded." I can't remember exact details. But what I noticed was that a couple of posters tended to always comment negatively on his posts, challenging him to respond. Responding appropriately was to no avail. Rhetorical questions thrown at Herv, many times sarcastically seemed to be generated for the sole purpose to annoy. Despite his addressing each retort, there was little let up. Any serious poster trying to participate in a discussion and in doing so trying to relate valid opinions to "dead ears", gets tired of expending energy needlessly..........and just gets plain burned out after a while...........a personal decision to take a break should require no further explanation now or upon return.

I'm not sure if he, as an individual, was being shadowed, or, if he just got tired of certain folks that find it in themselves to be obtuse and argumentative as personality traits. He has a bit of Carlin cynicism about humanity, which is something I relate to and find endearing to be honest, so the fact that he could not express an opinion without having it constantly attacked and picked apart just got old. It used to be challenging to deal with, but at a certain point, you get burned out by it all.

Some folks just can't agree to disagree while appreciating and respecting another's opinion and perspective. Some people always have to be right (in their mind) and have the last word, and I think that he felt an improvement in the quality of life if these types of individuals were just amputated from his existence. Unfortunately, that means none of us get to enjoy his unique perspectives and witty comments. But it is what it is, and I cannot say that I don't understand where he's coming from at the end of the day.

It's the Buddhist mentality of the path of least resistance. I can relate. :howdy:

CloakNNNdagger
07-21-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure if he, as an individual, was being shadowed, or, if he just got tired of certain folks that find it in themselves to be obtuse and argumentative as personality traits. He has a bit of Carlin cynicism about humanity, which is something I relate to and find endearing to be honest, so the fact that he could not express an opinion without having it constantly attacked and picked apart just got old. It used to be challenging to deal with, but at a certain point, you get burned out by it all.

Some folks just can't agree to disagree while appreciating and respecting another's opinion and perspective. Some people always have to be right (in their mind) and have the last word, and I think that he felt an improvement in the quality of life if these types of individuals were just amputated from his existence. Unfortunately, that means none of us get to enjoy his unique perspectives and witty comments. But it is what it is, and I cannot say that I don't understand where he's coming from at the end of the day.

It's the Buddhist mentality of the path of least resistance. I can relate. :howdy:

When Cak introduced me to Herv, I found him, very knowledgeable, insightful, and informatively entertaining.......just like on the board. I, too, understand where he's coming from on his decision for a break.

OzzO
07-21-2010, 01:53 PM
...Miss hervoyel as well although he has been sighted at HT.com recently.

Unless I'm searching wrong, looks like he started a few threads earlier this year. I'm sure they'll be back when the season starts rollin (hopefully).

As for the OP - TT vs HT, pretty much the reasons and path noted in the first few pages for me.

"Passing thought" part of the post - I wonder if HT execs were shown the quality here at TT, if they'd be willing to go back / inherit this site as is (so Hookem wouldn't have to foot the bill... the other bill). Bringing the members / posts / mods there and weed out the rampant immaturity and smack talk at TT.

If not, then I'll happily reside here for Texans news and discussions.

Double Barrel
07-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Unless I'm searching wrong, looks like he started a few threads earlier this year. I'm sure they'll be back when the season starts rollin (hopefully).

As for the OP - TT vs HT, pretty much the reasons and path noted in the first few pages for me.

"Passing thought" part of the post - I wonder if HT execs were shown the quality here at TT, if they'd be willing to go back / inherit this site as is (so Hookem wouldn't have to foot the bill... the other bill). Bringing the members / posts / mods there and weed out the rampant immaturity and smack talk at TT.

If not, then I'll happily reside here for Texans news and discussions.

Houston Texas, Inc. required very tight moderation as policy. A lot of folks thought (erroneously) that Vinny & Co. had some kind of power trip, but that's the furthest thing from the truth. HT.com, being a multi-billion dollar business as part of a massive entertainment empire (NFL), required that anyone visiting the official board not feel threatened, insulted, or whatever.

As evidenced by the way TT.com is currently ran, it's obvious that while certain behavior is not tolerated (trolls, spam, vulgar language, etc.), there has been a major relaxing of many things that would never have been allowed at the official board (BOTD, smack forum, etc.). TT is now at the point that Hookem always wanted, which is a good thing for all of us. It's a nice balance between a moderated forum but not heavy handed.

steelbtexan
07-21-2010, 04:15 PM

This

Repped

HoustonFrog
07-21-2010, 04:34 PM
It would be interesting to read Herv's comments on this situation, rather than just the second-hand reports we are currently getting. The thing about a message board is that everyone can see the comments that everyone else makes. So, with as many regular posters as we have here, it would be difficult for someone to be stalking Herv like this without someone else noticing it. Although I never noticed it, I am just one poster. But it appears that nobody else noticed it. Is that right?

Also, there are remedies for this kind of harassing behavior, especially for someone with Herv's longtime credentials. Did he not mention it to anyone? Did he not mention it to a moderator? This just does not sound altogether right to me. It seems that something is missing from this story.

I followed Hou-Tex's advice and hunted Herv down on the other board. He knows he is missed. I didn't get the feeling he was run off. I get the feeling he was burned out and wanted to enjoy the football experience more without the static, if that makes sense. A step back for perspective and to find the joy of the game, not the debate over it. I won't copy and paste or speak for him. I just told him we missed the input and got a response. I completely agree with the perspective and am glad he is doing well.

Cjeremy635
07-21-2010, 04:40 PM
I just wanted to say that I love this board. This is the only board that I belong to on the internet, period. I consider most of you guys like a second family and would do anything for you all.

I just got through looking back over my "UserCP" and reading some of the comments given to me by people leaving me positive and negative rep. Some of the people are no longer here, whether by choice, force, or death, but I still think about those posters from time to time. Anyways, I just wanted to throw that out there. It's kind of cool to reminisce about some of the poking fun and heated arguments that have gone on here in the past. Hope this board stays around for a long time and hope everyone here continues to post and contribute to this great place.

Jeremy

badboy
07-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Herv is not the type that will run to the mod power to act on his behalf. "Bullied" is not probably an accurate description of what was going on. Maybe "hounded." I can't remember exact details. But what I noticed was that a couple of posters tended to always comment negatively on his posts, challenging him to respond. Responding appropriately was to no avail. Rhetorical questions thrown at Herv, many times sarcastically seemed to be generated for the sole purpose to annoy. Despite his addressing each retort, there was little let up. Any serious poster trying to participate in a discussion and in doing so trying to relate valid opinions to "dead ears", gets tired of expending energy needlessly..........and just gets plain burned out after a while...........a personal decision to take a break should require no further explanation now or upon return.Agreed. Thanks for the info on the history. I was on the board then but don't remember details.

ubecool454
07-21-2010, 04:48 PM
I just wanted to say that I love this board. This is the only board that I belong to on the internet, period. I consider most of you guys like a second family and would do anything for you all.

I just got done looking back over my "UserCP" and reading some of the comments given to me by people leaving me positive and negative rep. Some of the people are no longer here, whether by choice, force, or death, but I still think about those posters from time to time. Anyways, I just wanted to throw that out there. It's kind of cool to reminisce about some of the poking fun and heated arguments that have gone on here in the past. Hope this board stays around for a long time and hope everyone here continues to post and contribute to this great place.

Jeremy

Only one? I'm probably on to many NFL football teams boards..Texans, Titans, Jags, Jets, Redskins, Panthers, Colts, Falcons...I think thats it oh and Eagles and Saints. I like the Panthers, Texans and Jets the best though....not necessarily in that order.

Cjeremy635
07-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Only one? I'm probably on to many NFL football teams boards..Texans, Titans, Jags, Jets, Redskins, Panthers, Colts, Falcons...I think thats it oh and Eagles and Saints. I like the Panthers, Texans and Jets the best though....not necessarily in that order.

Yeah, the ONLY one! I watch a lot of football games throughout the year, but there's only one team that I care enough about to join their MB.

I frequent other message board though, I just don't belong to any of them. I like to go to Texas Fishing Forum, Texas Hunting Forum, Realtree.com, 2coofishing, etc. I frequent those types of boards for tips, but I don't socialize with anyone.

ubecool454
07-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah, the ONLY one! I watch a lot of football games throughout the year, but there's only one team that I care enough about to join their MB.

I frequent other message board though, I just don't belong to any of them. I like to go to Texas Fishing Forum, Texas Hunting Forum, Realtree.com, 2coofishing, etc. I frequent those types of boards for tips, but I don't socialize with anyone.

Yeah , I'm on 2coolfishing too but I was only mentioning the NFL boards. I just go over to discuss other teams and their goings on. I'm a NFL fan first. I'm getting ready to head over to 2cool right now..lol