PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Oilers vs. Dolphins, Monday Night Game

gwallaia
07-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Watch the entire game from start to finish.

Start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGEvXuISRos&feature=related

Showtime100
07-17-2010, 06:51 PM
NOTE TO SELF: Next time you see gwallaia he buys nothing! Great find and thanks!!

Seņor Stan
07-17-2010, 08:03 PM
NOTE TO SELF: Next time you see gwallaia he buys nothing! Great find and thanks!!

Looks like it was posted on youtube by Brakos!

I need to rep him at least 17 times for that.

This was the first game I ever went to as a kid. My dad showed up and pulled me out of school early on Monday morning. We drove 6 hours from Brownsville to Houston to watch the game. We sat in the high school bleacher styles seats in the end zone called the Temporary Pavillion.

One of, if not my best childhood memory. I was hooked on the Oilers from that moment until Bud backed up the U-Haul and moved them to Tennehayseed.

I look forward to giving my kids some of those same memories with the Texans!

Giant Tiger
07-17-2010, 08:33 PM

Brakos, too :clap:

Brando
07-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Watch the entire game from start to finish.

Start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGEvXuISRos&feature=related

Repped! Awesome and Thank you very much!

Brando
07-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Brakos, too :clap:

Yep!

:bravo:

JB
07-17-2010, 08:51 PM
It sure would be great if the Reliant crowd was that loud prior to kickoff against the Colts this year. The Dome was rockin' and the pom-poms waving even during team introductions.

Wolf
07-17-2010, 09:10 PM
what the hell do you mean pos rep these fools? instead of laying on my relaxing couch watching TV and am sitting cramped in my computer chair and watching this!
:thud:

JB
07-17-2010, 09:13 PM
what the hell do you mean pos rep these fools? instead of laying on my relaxing couch watching TV and am sitting cramped in my computer chair and watching this!
:thud:

You need to get a comfortable recliner & a laptop in your mancave! :D

TexanDave
07-17-2010, 09:17 PM
I still get goosebumps thinking about that game. My dad took me to that game and I remember walking into the stadium, the Luv ya Blue song was playing and the pom poms were waving. (the funny thing about those pom poms is that it was a simple stick with about 10 columbia blue and white pieces of paper on them but they were awesome!)

*looks at arm* I have goosebumps again.

JB
07-17-2010, 09:28 PM
I love Gifford's call on the Oilers first touchdown..."Earl Campbell, forget about it" :D

Wolf
07-17-2010, 09:33 PM
bokamper who?

gwallaia
07-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Cool, I just noticed it was brakos. Rep when he posts in this thread.

JB
07-18-2010, 12:47 AM
Houston Wins!!! What a great game! Damn, I loved my Oilers...

I will never forgive you Butt Adams. But I am truly thankful that we have the Texans and a great owner like McNair.

Rep to gwallaia for finding this and sharing.

Neg rep to Brakos for not letting us know he had put this up...

:jk: I will rep brakos82 when he shows up again.

JB
07-18-2010, 01:34 AM
The 1979 AFC Championship game against the Steelers is also available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLw8cAnDpME&feature=PlayList&p=8E9425A14AC1CF6A&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

I believe this is the Renfro non-td game?

Wolf
07-18-2010, 09:12 PM
3:28 into this section.. Earl just FLATTENS somebody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2if-BTeLLo&feature=related

I don't know if that the the play or player that ruined the guy's career . He was never the same player after that

beautiful job by Pastorini on hiding the ball at 5:12 mark

JB
07-18-2010, 09:21 PM
3:28 into this section.. Earl just FLATTENS somebody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2if-BTeLLo&feature=related

I don't know if that the the play or player that ruined the guy's career . He was never the same player after that

beautiful job by Pastorini on hiding the ball at 5:12 mark

Who was it? I couldn't catch the name.

brakos82
07-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Who was it? I couldn't catch the name.

I think it was #50 (Larry Gordon)

Wolf
07-18-2010, 09:28 PM
not sure who it was in the video, couldn't tell, it happened so fast

I thought I read a story about it once

JB
07-18-2010, 09:43 PM
I think it was #50 (Larry Gordon)

It was #50. Just didn't know who that was.

brakos82
07-18-2010, 10:06 PM
It was #50. Just didn't know who that was.

Yeah, it has the Miami def starters listed in part 3

Texan_Bill
07-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Holy crap!! The intro alone gave me chills!!

Also, it was nice to hear that a Houston team had the #1 defense in the AFC!! Another thing I forgot was the Oilers comeback on the Patriots being down 23-0 and winning 26-23!! I had forgot about that...

Awesome!! BTW, I have a new hero in Brakos!!! I'll try rep both him and Greg for finding this!

El Tejano
07-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Mike Barber once said that he was throwing a block for Earl when one of the Dolphins he was blocking actually fell down all by himself and pulled Mike Barber down with him. Barber asked him why he just went down like that and the other guy told him "because #34 was going to hit you right in the back at full speed."

b0ng
07-20-2010, 02:34 AM
Maybe it's because he was before my time, but Cosell makes it really hard to watch.

El Tejano
07-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Cossell focused alot on journalism. He was full of information and he could hype up anything. It's so different from the idiots that are on TV now.

toronto
07-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Cossell focused alot on journalism. He was full of information and he could hype up anything. It's so different from the idiots that are on TV now.

So true - he really knew when to add 'salt' to a broadcast. The man was truly incredible at his craft.

JB
07-21-2010, 06:59 PM
So true - he really knew when to add 'salt' to a broadcast. The man was truly incredible at his craft.

His interactions with Ali were truly great.

El Tejano
07-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Anyone else notice how far the stands are away from the field. That was a reminder of how great our stadium is now.

GP
07-26-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm currently viewing Part 3. Just sat down to eat some simple dinner, glass of water, and an old MNF game. I was born in 1976 so obviously I missed seeing this game when it originally aired.

Having more fun right now than I would have had if I had searched to stream something off NetFlix. Gifford, to me, is arguably the best NFL commentator ever. EVery easy on the ears.

Bum's shirt is fantastic, btw. Very stylish. LOL.

And you can't beat some concrete with green carpet glued to it. Good times.

Gonna' watch part 3, and pick it up again tomorrow sometime. I can milk this puppy for a good 3 days or more.

GP
07-26-2010, 08:53 PM
By the way, I was old enough to remember when MNF was the king.

I still maintain that it needs to die, and be replaced with Thursday Night Football. Here's why:

Back in the day, you had four football games to watch/choose from: The first game at 1 p.m. eastern time and then the one right after that. Or choose the single game found on the channel that only carried one game that week. Then, you had MNF to top it off. The NFL fan watched three games for the whole week.

Now, you have dozens of college games available on all the various subscription programs on cable TV. You likely take in a Friday night high school game, especially if your kids are that age. And you have ANY game on Sunday to choose from. You can switch between games all day long. Throw in the sports news shows that run for 2 or 3 hours, and you can see so much NFL that your head spins. By the time Monday rolls around, you're done with football. You've moved on. It's no longer intriguing. in fact, it's like getting to a party when the party has ended. "Wait, where's everybody going?!? I just got here!" LOL.

Now let's flip it on its head: Become the FIRST game of every week. Be unique again by being the FIRST game. Now you're like tailgating, or appetizers, etc. You're at the beginning when the wine is flowing and the jokes are actually funny, instead of being the guy who got to the party late and wonders why only the unpopular people are left over.

Why they don't see this, I will never know. Stop MNF, and start TNF. Learn to live a little, ABC/ESPN. Do you have a contract with Monday? Sheesh....

brakos82
07-26-2010, 09:20 PM
By the way, I was old enough to remember when MNF was the king.

I still maintain that it needs to die, and be replaced with Thursday Night Football. Here's why:

Back in the day, you had four football games to watch/choose from: The first game at 1 p.m. eastern time and then the one right after that. Or choose the single game found on the channel that only carried one game that week. Then, you had MNF to top it off. The NFL fan watched three games for the whole week.

Now, you have dozens of college games available on all the various subscription programs on cable TV. You likely take in a Friday night high school game, especially if your kids are that age. And you have ANY game on Sunday to choose from. You can switch between games all day long. Throw in the sports news shows that run for 2 or 3 hours, and you can see so much NFL that your head spins. By the time Monday rolls around, you're done with football. You've moved on. It's no longer intriguing. in fact, it's like getting to a party when the party has ended. "Wait, where's everybody going?!? I just got here!" LOL.

Now let's flip it on its head: Become the FIRST game of every week. Be unique again by being the FIRST game. Now you're like tailgating, or appetizers, etc. You're at the beginning when the wine is flowing and the jokes are actually funny, instead of being the guy who got to the party late and wonders why only the unpopular people are left over.

Why they don't see this, I will never know. Stop MNF, and start TNF. Learn to live a little, ABC/ESPN. Do you have a contract with Monday? Sheesh....

But MNF's the only thing that makes Mondays bearable. :foottap:

JB
07-26-2010, 09:24 PM

^^^^ What he said!

Kaiser Toro
07-26-2010, 09:37 PM
One of the great games and performances. God bless the Tyler Rose!

Showtime100
07-26-2010, 09:41 PM

I remember when it came out. We would be in school and the kid next to you asked who you were pulling for that night. I took a good long second to remember there was such a thing as MNF. The rest of the day the cafeteria food tasted a little better, the teachers swats were a little softer, and that big red "F" you got was smaller and not as red.

I thought "ain't modern life wonderful." :)

GP
07-27-2010, 02:01 AM

You're married to Monday? Seriously?

What better way to capitalize off of hump day (Wednesday, so get your mind out of the gutter brakos82) than to have Thursday as Thursday Night Football day?

Then on Friday, all you're talking about is what you saw on the game last night. You just made Friday even better.

Monday should be a suck day. Period. It's there to remind you of how awesome the other 6 days are. Monday is Judas Iscariot: It betrayed you, it sold you out, and it's a huge drag on your life. All the other days look at Monday, and they glare at him. They know what he's all about: Suckage.

Let Monday be Monday, and give Thursday something to be proud of! :doot:

But you? You like Monday enough to let it keep evening football. You're in the tank for Monday. Bribe taker.

GP
07-27-2010, 02:08 AM
That reminds me of another rant I have:

Breakfast is a douche. He's the baby of the meal family. That's right, I said it. Breakfast thinks he's special. He has his own food selections that are exclusive to himself. Waffles, pancakes, little bitty link sausage, individual slices of bacon, crepes, french toast, cereal. the list goes on forever.

Lunch is the middle child: Sandwiches and freaking hot pockets. Nothing special about those choices, is there? In fact, look at how many people are reduced to drinking a diet milkshake at lunch. Or a TV dinner the size of my wristwatch.

Dinner is the oldest kid. He has to be the trail blazer, always coming up with new and creative choices. You can't have sandwiches for dinner. You don't have pancakes for dinner. You might eat cereal for dinner, though, but only if you're 14, in college, or a lifelong single with no life outside of your workplace.

So that's why I don't eat breakfast. If I do, it's leftover, warmed-up steak from the previous night's DINNER. Or leftover pizza. I will NEVER wake up and give breakfast the honor of preparing specially-made meals just to stroke its ego.

Down with breakfast! Do your own laundry, quit asking for everyone to cater to you, and stop sucking up to people with the promise of sugar-filled treats (also known as DESSERTS to those of us who are in the know about such things) as a true meal. And all those coffees out there are in the same boat. Get a life, and grow up already. Carry someone's football pads and just get over yourself.

Showtime100
07-27-2010, 03:04 AM

Breakfast is a douche. He's the baby of the meal family. That's right, I said it. Breakfast thinks he's special. He has his own food selections that are exclusive to himself. Waffles, pancakes, little bitty link sausage, individual slices of bacon, crepes, french toast, cereal. the list goes on forever.

Lunch is the middle child: Sandwiches and freaking hot pockets. Nothing special about those choices, is there? In fact, look at how many people are reduced to drinking a diet milkshake at lunch. Or a TV dinner the size of my wristwatch.

Dinner is the oldest kid. He has to be the trail blazer, always coming up with new and creative choices. You can't have sandwiches for dinner. You don't have pancakes for dinner. You might eat cereal for dinner, though, but only if you're 14, in college, or a lifelong single with no life outside of your workplace.

So that's why I don't eat breakfast. If I do, it's leftover, warmed-up steak from the previous night's DINNER. Or leftover pizza. I will NEVER wake up and give breakfast the honor of preparing specially-made meals just to stroke its ego.

Down with breakfast! Do your own laundry, quit asking for everyone to cater to you, and stop sucking up to people with the promise of sugar-filled treats (also known as DESSERTS to those of us who are in the know about such things) as a true meal. And all those coffees out there are in the same boat. Get a life, and grow up already. Carry someone's football pads and just get over yourself.

I guess that makes booze is the crazy fun cousin that everybody likes to hangout with but no one mentions at family functions. Must be the police record and the broads he brings home. :truck:

El Tejano
07-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Thursday is when College Football starts. Oh and btw, you start putting NFL on Thursdays and you just screwed up Thanksgiving tradition.

brakos82
07-27-2010, 03:54 PM
You're married to Monday? Seriously?

What better way to capitalize off of hump day (Wednesday, so get your mind out of the gutter brakos82) than to have Thursday as Thursday Night Football day?

Then on Friday, all you're talking about is what you saw on the game last night. You just made Friday even better.

Monday should be a suck day. Period. It's there to remind you of how awesome the other 6 days are. Monday is Judas Iscariot: It betrayed you, it sold you out, and it's a huge drag on your life. All the other days look at Monday, and they glare at him. They know what he's all about: Suckage.

Let Monday be Monday, and give Thursday something to be proud of! :doot:

But you? You like Monday enough to let it keep evening football. You're in the tank for Monday. Bribe taker.

:lol:

And I'll be putting up the '79 home game against Pittsburgh today. :shades:

GP
07-27-2010, 09:33 PM
I guess that makes booze is the crazy fun cousin that everybody likes to hangout with but no one mentions at family functions. Must be the police record and the broads he brings home. :truck:

Oh yeah, you got that right.

Booze is the cousin who does all the wrong things and somehow finds a way to make it seem intriguing to be so bad and so good at it. Booze is down for whatever, at any place and at any time.

GP
07-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Thursday is when College Football starts. Oh and btw, you start putting NFL on Thursdays and you just screwed up Thanksgiving tradition.

Way to go. Ruin my theory why don't you?

I already thought of that, El Tejano. We move Thanksgiving to Tuesday. Problem solved.

Kaiser Toro
07-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Darn near brought a tear to my eye when my buddy sent this over to me, as I employed the morning coffee cup for a added value service.

Earl Campbell for Skoal 1980 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5514hBeIGCs&feature=player_embedded)

Texan_Bill
07-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Darn near brought a tear to my eye when my buddy sent this over to me, as I employed the morning coffee cup for a added value service.

Earl Campbell for Skoal 1980 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5514hBeIGCs&feature=player_embedded)

WOW!! We don't agree on much, but I share your thought on the almost bringing a tear... Damn!! :cry2:

Lucky
07-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Thursday Night Football? Who watches the games that are on Thursday night, now? Unless your team is playing, the answer is: Nobody. In fact, Thursday Night Football was tried back in the '80s and was a miserable failure. Who saw Tony Dorsett's 99-yard run versus the Vikings on Thursday Night? Whoever watched SportsCenter back then.

And your anti-breakfast rambling was just boggling. No one eats breakfast every day. That's what makes it so special. When you do have the time for a good breakfast, it makes the rest of the day seem worthwhile. God bless waffles & maple syrup, biscuits and gravy, and Denver omelets. God bless breakfast.

Kaiser Toro
07-27-2010, 10:49 PM
WOW!! We don't agree on much, but I share your thought on the almost bringing a tear... Damn!! :cry2:

I posted the video on a social network site, and one of the guys responded with this

When I worked as a runner at the UT Athletic Dept in 88 I had to deliver a big box of Skoal to Earl's office every Friday. If he was there, he'd give me a can. I felt kind of bad that I didn't like Skoal, but I took it anyway - it was a gift from Earl, and I wasn't about to turn that down!

That is awesome.

Lucky
07-27-2010, 10:55 PM
The only thing cooler than an Earl signed jersey or helmet would be an Earl signed can of Skoal.

Skoal, brother! (Damn that shiite is nasty)

JB
07-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Thursday Night Football? Who watches the games that are on Thursday night, now? Unless your team is playing, the answer is: Nobody. In fact, Thursday Night Football was tried back in the '80s and was a miserable failure. Who saw Tony Dorsett's 99-yard run versus the Vikings on Thursday Night? Whoever watched SportsCenter back then.
And your anti-breakfast rambling was just boggling. No one eats breakfast every day. That's what makes it so special. When you do have the time for a good breakfast, it makes the rest of the day seem worthwhile. God bless waffles & maple syrup, biscuits and gravy, and Denver omelets. God bless breakfast.

I did!

And damn, I agree with your entire breakfast post. world ending?

Lucky
07-27-2010, 11:08 PM
And damn, I agree with your entire breakfast post. world ending?
We agree on all the important stuff. Like breakfast and the Texans.

Speaking of breakfast, I once tried eggs with lobster, in honor of the Seinfeld episode. Changed my life.

JB
07-27-2010, 11:11 PM
We agree on all the important stuff. Like breakfast and the Texans.

Speaking of breakfast, I once tried eggs with lobster, in honor of the Seinfeld episode. Changed my life.

:goodpost: That is the important stuff.

GP
07-28-2010, 09:48 AM

You still prove my point that breakfast is special. It's given preferential treatment. It's the Everybody Loves Raymond of meals.

If I eat breakfast, it's steak or pizza or leftover Thai. I have principles. :whip: