PDA

View Full Version : Best in the Biz: DT's according to Jeff Saturday

BSofA04
07-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Jeff Saturday was on the set of NFL Network and talked about his top 5 best defensive tackles in the game. Being a Colt, he had a three way tie for fifth. (Really?!!)

Unfortunately, we'll see 5 of the 7 next season. Ouch!!! Caldwell/Studdard/Myers/Smith/Briesel better step it up or Schaubie will not stay upright.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81928f3f/Best-in-the-biz-DT

CloakNNNdagger
07-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Jeff Saturday was on the set of NFL Network and talked about his top 5 best defensive tackles in the game. Being a Colt, he had a three way tie for fifth. (Really?!!)

Unfortunately, we'll see 5 of the 7 next season. Ouch!!! Caldwell/Studdard/Myers/Smith/Briesel better step it up or Schaubie will not stay upright.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81928f3f/Best-in-the-biz-DT

The key word on all of these DTs is "NASTY." When did you ever hear that label assigned to ANY Texans DT? TJ? Robinson? Bullman? Okoye? Cody? Robinson? Okam (labelled "Nightmare" in college)..........(in the NFL) "intelligent" and "big" and "slob"............but "nasty?"

TheRealJoker
07-17-2010, 10:29 AM
Most of them are big 3-4 NT types as well...

steelbtexan
07-17-2010, 11:14 AM
The key word on all of these DTs is "NASTY." When did you ever hear that label assigned to ANY Texans DT? TJ? Robinson? Bullman? Okoye? Cody? Robinson? Okam (labelled "Nightmare" in college)..........(in the NFL) "intelligent" and "big" and "slob"............but "nasty?"

We have no nasty OL/DL on this team. Great teams have nasty interior OL?DL play.

This is the fatal flaw in the Smithiak plan. IMHO

Maddict5
07-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Most of them are big 3-4 NT types as well...

well half of them. and 2 of those jenkins and ngata have both played 4-3 dt in packages or in carolina

BSofA04
07-17-2010, 09:55 PM
We have no nasty OL/DL on this team. Great teams have nasty interior OL?DL play.

This is the fatal flaw in the Smithiak plan. IMHO

I think you're right if you consider the majority of the offensive and defensive line. However, Studdard has the reputation as being nasty, hard working, effort type player. Unfortunately, his technique is not where it needs to be. I see him getting a little nasty/dirty between the whistles.

Wade Smith doesn't strike me as a nasty player. Neither does Briesel or Caldwell.

Winston at times last season was looking to mix it up with Vanden Bosch and Jerod Mayo to name a few. I think he has no tolerance for dirty players ever since the Jared Allen cheap shot on Matt Schaub.

Ngata, Haynesworth(less), Jenkins are just monstrous, athletic freaks whom I consider Zone-busters; disruptors that take advantage of the lighter, athletic linemen. We're not going to be able to run on any of these teams if Myers can't handle the point of attack one-on-one.

Tony Brown from the tacks is what Okoye should be for us IMHO.

CloakNNNdagger
07-17-2010, 11:02 PM
I think you're right if you consider the majority of the offensive and defensive line. However, Studdard has the reputation as being nasty, hard working, effort type player. Unfortunately, his technique is not where it needs to be. I see him getting a little nasty/dirty between the whistles.

Wade Smith doesn't strike me as a nasty player. Neither does Briesel or Caldwell.

Winston at times last season was looking to mix it up with Vanden Bosch and Jerod Mayo to name a few. I think he has no tolerance for dirty players ever since the Jared Allen cheap shot on Matt Schaub.

Ngata, Haynesworth(less), Jenkins are just monstrous, athletic freaks whom I consider Zone-busters; disruptors that take advantage of the lighter, athletic linemen. We're not going to be able to run on any of these teams if Myers can't handle the point of attack one-on-one.

Tony Brown from the tacks is what Okoye should be for us IMHO.

http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/funny-pictures-this-fish-is-holding-his-breath.jpg

BSofA04
07-17-2010, 11:19 PM
http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/funny-pictures-this-fish-is-holding-his-breath.jpg

lol!

The1ApplePie
07-18-2010, 11:24 AM
The zone-blocking scheme is antiquated now, thanks to new rules and the evolution of D-Linemen.

350-pounders are now just as athletic as our 295-pound o-linemen

BSofA04
07-18-2010, 01:06 PM
The zone-blocking scheme is antiquated now, thanks to new rules and the evolution of D-Linemen.

350-pounders are now just as athletic as our 295-pound o-linemen

It's true. Remember Ngata on the Zone blitz where he dropped back in coverage and intercepted Rosenfels near the goal line? Haloti Ngata dropped back in coverage. I think Okam would crap himself if we asked him to do that.

Hagar
07-18-2010, 10:40 PM
well half of them. and 2 of those jenkins and ngata have both played 4-3 dt in packages or in carolina

Great players can play in any system. Great big beefy DT work just as well in a 1 technique as do NT. I agree that it is a fatal flaw in the Smithiak system.

El Tejano
07-19-2010, 12:02 PM
That's great. But I'm going to knock Saturday on his butt so far into next week he will think his last name is Friday.

Signed,

Earl Mitchell

TimeKiller
07-19-2010, 01:18 PM
hahaha

badboy
07-19-2010, 01:58 PM
You can keep the nasty boys and give me a couple Ray Childress types.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChilRa00.htm

El Tejano
07-19-2010, 02:18 PM
You can keep the nasty boys and give me a couple Ray Childress types.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChilRa00.htm

13 sacks as a LDT is absolutely sick.

dalemurphy
07-20-2010, 10:25 AM
It's true. Remember Ngata on the Zone blitz where he dropped back in coverage and intercepted Rosenfels near the goal line? Haloti Ngata dropped back in coverage.

I'm not impressed. After all, I've seen Amobi knocked back into coverage on a number of occasions.

BSofA04
07-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm not impressed. After all, I've seen Amobi knocked back into coverage on a number of occasions.

LOL! Sad but true