PDA

View Full Version : 2011 mock by Walter

badboy
07-14-2010, 10:14 AM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011_1.php

For those of us who scour the news and watch games for scouting info, I wanted to throw some info your way. Walter has us @ #23.
Houston Texans: Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska
The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

I'm interested in:
Free safety Duenta Williams from North Carolina
Center/G Mike Pouncey Florida
FS Blake Gideon Texas
QB Pat Devlin Delaware (I like Orslovky but just in case)

Check out comments in 2nd round about Duane Brown
Houston Texans: Nate Potter, OT, Boise State
If Duane Brown doesn't improve his play this season, the Texans may search for some left tackle competition in the 2011 NFL Draft.

rmartin65
07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
Nice find. Walter generally has some good stuff going on.

I love Crick as a prospect, but I dont know if I want him for the Texans yet. Deunta Williams however, is my boy. He has been on my radar since midway last year, and is my number 1 target for the Texans.

As a converted receiver, he has great hands, and knows what to do with the ball. Great size at 6'2" 215 ish, speed around the mid 4.4s, and off the charts agility. He also has been starting the last couple years, I think this will be his 3rd year as a starter at FS. I do worry about his tackling though, that is an area I would like to see some improvement in.

badboy
07-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Nice find. Walter generally has some good stuff going on.

I love Crick as a prospect, but I dont know if I want him for the Texans yet. Deunta Williams however, is my boy. He has been on my radar since midway last year, and is my number 1 target for the Texans.

As a converted receiver, he has great hands, and knows what to do with the ball. Great size at 6'2" 215 ish, speed around the mid 4.4s, and off the charts agility. He also has been starting the last couple years, I think this will be his 3rd year as a starter at FS. I do worry about his tackling though, that is an area I would like to see some improvement in.I know nothing about Crick but will try to watch him. Hopefully we will not have to draft a DT in top 4. I remember from our emails that D. Williams is on your radar. You know tackling is usually an issue fro cover type CBs and FS. He definitely has the size to be a good tackler. Does he remind you of Taylor Mays any? I know he is lighter than Mays.

rmartin65
07-14-2010, 02:58 PM
I know nothing about Crick but will try to watch him. Hopefully we will not have to draft a DT in top 4. I remember from our emails that D. Williams is on your radar. You know tackling is usually an issue fro cover type CBs and FS. He definitely has the size to be a good tackler. Does he remind you of Taylor Mays any? I know he is lighter than Mays.

He definitely does have the right size to be a great tackler, thats for sure. I think its more of needing better technique right now, we will see when the season starts. I plan on watching UNC at least 4 times next year, if thats possible. So much talent is on that D.

I would not compare him to Mays at all. Mays is like a linebacker playing safety. He has the speed, but I dont like him in coverage. Iffy hands, and would rather knock someone out than make a clean tackle. Williams goes for the wrap up, and I dont see him really run over people that much. He is much more of a prototypical FS.

badboy
07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
He definitely does have the right size to be a great tackler, thats for sure. I think its more of needing better technique right now, we will see when the season starts. I plan on watching UNC at least 4 times next year, if thats possible. So much talent is on that D.

I would not compare him to Mays at all. Mays is like a linebacker playing safety. He has the speed, but I dont like him in coverage. Iffy hands, and would rather knock someone out than make a clean tackle. Williams goes for the wrap up, and I dont see him really run over people that much. He is much more of a prototypical FS.
Thanks, good ino. I start worrying when a FS goes over 210lbs. Big favor but if you could give me a heads up when North Carolina plays, I'd appreciate it as I do not usually focus much on their games. Do you agree if 2010 draft picks develop as supposed to that FS is #1 need? I am not sure Mitchell will start even if Okoye makes little progress in TC as I think O. is liked for his run defense.

rmartin65
07-14-2010, 04:00 PM
[/B]
Thanks, good ino. I start worrying when a FS goes over 210lbs. Big favor but if you could give me a heads up when North Carolina plays, I'd appreciate it as I do not usually focus much on their games. Do you agree if 2010 draft picks develop as supposed to that FS is #1 need? I am not sure Mitchell will start even if Okoye makes little progress in TC as I think O. is liked for his run defense.

Will do. I actually think everyone should try to catch one UNC game, if only for their defense alone. DE Robert Quinn has top 5 talent. DT Marvin Austin, also top 5 talent. DT Tydreke Powell is a 4-6th rounder at this point. OLB Sturdivant is a borderline first rounder, as is OLB/ILB Bruce Carter. Both CBs, Kendric Burney and Charles Brown, have 3rd-5th round grades. And as discussed, FS Deunta Williams is a first round prospect.

As far as games go, Sept. 4th vs LSU is the marquee match up, with Sept 18th (vs. Georgia Tech), Oct. 9th (vs. Clemson), Oct. 23rd (@ Miami), and Nov. 13th (vs. Virginia Tech) are all worthwhile games to watch.

And I agree absolutely, if the picks from the past 2 drafts progress as the FO thinks they will, FS becomes the number 1 need, in my opinion, followed by Center.

beerlover
07-15-2010, 03:19 AM
Stephen Paea is my choice right now straight up. It's Amobi's contract year so I expect him to produce, but could be in a similar situation as Dunta Robinson was & the market dictates more than the Texans think he's worth.

Paea is a poor mans Ndamukong Suh. pair him with Earl on the inside, Mario, Smith & Barwin on the corners you might really have something that = :trophy:

SteveSlaton20
07-15-2010, 03:48 AM
Eh, I'd rather us go for a FS first. And I don't know about Jared Crick, I doubt he does as good w/o Suh. And being a Longhorn fan, I really don't want us to get Gideon. The drop against Tech has nothing to do with it, he's really not that good. If you watch the NCG from last year, all the big runs were because of him, he's terrible at angles. I don't see him getting drafted in the 2nd round, and I wouldn't be surprise to see him benched. IIRC, DeAndre tied w/ ET for interceptions last year, I would really love for us to get him in the 1st. What about Rahim Moore? He had the most interceptions last year.

rmartin65
07-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Stephen Paea is my choice right now straight up. It's Amobi's contract year so I expect him to produce, but could be in a similar situation as Dunta Robinson was & the market dictates more than the Texans think he's worth.

Paea is a poor mans Ndamukong Suh. pair him with Earl on the inside, Mario, Smith & Barwin on the corners you might really have something that = :trophy:

Man, we are on the same wavelength here. Paea is my number 2 at the moment. I have Williams ranked slightly higher on my wishlist because of need. I think there is a better chance that one or two of the DTs step up, than one of the free safeties step up.

Eh, I'd rather us go for a FS first. And I don't know about Jared Crick, I doubt he does as good w/o Suh. And being a Longhorn fan, I really don't want us to get Gideon. The drop against Tech has nothing to do with it, he's really not that good. If you watch the NCG from last year, all the big runs were because of him, he's terrible at angles. I don't see him getting drafted in the 2nd round, and I wouldn't be surprise to see him benched. IIRC, DeAndre tied w/ ET for interceptions last year, I would really love for us to get him in the 1st. What about Rahim Moore? He had the most interceptions last year.

Crick has a lot of talent, and fantastic size. 6'6", 290 lbs, he could easily gain another 10-20 without losing much speed. But it will be interesting to see how he copes with being "the guy", and facing all the double teams. Remember, at this point in the scouting game, we are projecting big time. I will be surprised if 5 of my top 32 at this point go in the first round. The draft is just so fluid.

DeAndre McDaniel is a stud. As a sophomore he was a OLB, and as a junior he was moved to SS, where he did not disappoint. 98 tackles and 8 picks. He has great talent, probably top 15, but he was arrested for punching his girlfriend (in the face) and pushing her down the stairs. I am going to pass on him, just like I am passing on the next guy you mentioned.

Rahim Moore had a great season, pulling in ten picks to go along with his 45 tackles. However, at just 195 lbs (on a 6'1" frame), he is very light, which makes me seriously concerned about his his NFL potential. He needs to gain at least 10 pounds, keeping all of his speed. He would be best served staying for another year.

badboy
07-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Will do. I actually think everyone should try to catch one UNC game, if only for their defense alone. DE Robert Quinn has top 5 talent. DT Marvin Austin, also top 5 talent. DT Tydreke Powell is a 4-6th rounder at this point. OLB Sturdivant is a borderline first rounder, as is OLB/ILB Bruce Carter. Both CBs, Kendric Burney and Charles Brown, have 3rd-5th round grades. And as discussed, FS Deunta Williams is a first round prospect.

As far as games go, Sept. 4th vs LSU is the marquee match up, with Sept 18th (vs. Georgia Tech), Oct. 9th (vs. Clemson), Oct. 23rd (@ Miami), and Nov. 13th (vs. Virginia Tech) are all worthwhile games to watch.

And I agree absolutely, if the picks from the past 2 drafts progress as the FO thinks they will, FS becomes the number 1 need, in my opinion, followed by Center.Thanks. I'm aware of Marvin Austin and agree with your eval. Those are some great games to anticipate. Hopefully other posters will watch and we can have great debates when you & I and Beerlover do our next series of mocks. Here is my concern with Pouncey as it was last draft with his brother. I think he will be gone by our 2nd round selection and other needs will keep us from drafting him in first.

badboy
07-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Eh, I'd rather us go for a FS first. And I don't know about Jared Crick, I doubt he does as good w/o Suh. And being a Longhorn fan, I really don't want us to get Gideon. The drop against Tech has nothing to do with it, he's really not that good. If you watch the NCG from last year, all the big runs were because of him, he's terrible at angles. I don't see him getting drafted in the 2nd round, and I wouldn't be surprise to see him benched. IIRC, DeAndre tied w/ ET for interceptions last year, I would really love for us to get him in the 1st. What about Rahim Moore? He had the most interceptions last year.Walter has him going to Dallas. I can't remember but something makes me think I saw something negative about him but will hold judgement until I see more of him. Right now, I agree with 65 about Duente FS

badboy
07-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Man, we are on the same wavelength here. Paea is my number 2 at the moment. I have Williams ranked slightly higher on my wishlist because of need. I think there is a better chance that one or two of the DTs step up, than one of the free safeties step up.

Crick has a lot of talent, and fantastic size. 6'6", 290 lbs, he could easily gain another 10-20 without losing much speed. But it will be interesting to see how he copes with being "the guy", and facing all the double teams. Remember, at this point in the scouting game, we are projecting big time. I will be surprised if 5 of my top 32 at this point go in the first round. The draft is just so fluid.

DeAndre McDaniel is a stud. As a sophomore he was a OLB, and as a junior he was moved to SS, where he did not disappoint. 98 tackles and 8 picks. He has great talent, probably top 15, but he was arrested for punching his girlfriend (in the face) and pushing her down the stairs. I am going to pass on him, just like I am passing on the next guy you mentioned.

Rahim Moore had a great season, pulling in ten picks to go along with his 45 tackles. However, at just 195 lbs (on a 6'1" frame), he is very light, which makes me seriously concerned about his his NFL potential. He needs to gain at least 10 pounds, keeping all of his speed. He would be best served staying for another year.Exactly, as our detractors have pointed out ad nauseum, players both pro and college get injured or a pro may be cut that changes everything. We only do this to "feed the need". Also agree on McDaniel as I don't want him on team. It may have been Rahim's build that was giving me that "twinge" I could not remember. He could be great but would take a pounding in NFL, especially on a team like Texans where he would be expected to come up to tackle.

painekiller
07-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Here is my concern with Pouncey as it was last draft with his brother. I think he will be gone by our 2nd round selection and other needs will keep us from drafting him in first.

I was wondering what you think is a bigger need then the interior of the OL?

I can see FS (Wilson), OC (Myers) OG (Studdard), DT (Cody), then we are looking at upgrading the depth. We have young guys who maybe future players but it's to early to count on them, ie Nolan, Shelly Smith, and McManis, plus Caldwell has yet to show his ultimate value.

In the 1st round of Walters, I would be looking at the FS available over Crick. And like you you I do not think Pouncey makes our 2nd round pick. I am going to watch Kris O'Dowd from USC. He seems to be a solid pick.

Rey
07-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Whether Duane Brown improves or not, I'd like to see us take another solid player that can play that position.

badboy
07-15-2010, 03:45 PM
I was wondering what you think is a bigger need then the interior of the OL?

I can see FS (Wilson), OC (Myers) OG (Studdard), DT (Cody), then we are looking at upgrading the depth. We have young guys who maybe future players but it's to early to count on them, ie Nolan, Shelly Smith, and McManis, plus Caldwell has yet to show his ultimate value.

In the 1st round of Walters, I would be looking at the FS available over Crick. And like you you I do not think Pouncey makes our 2nd round pick. I am going to watch Kris O'Dowd from USC. He seems to be a solid pick.I think the play of Smith at either guard or center eliminates the need for a draft pick for OLine until 4th. If I could get a solid FS in 2nd I would draft Pouncey. If Wilson has a great HEALTHY season or one of the others step up, I'd go Pouncey. Despite Kube's fascination with Studdard, he is weak link imo. In a perfect world i guess it would be Brown, Pouncey, Smith, Caldwell and Winston.

Texecutioner
07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2011_1.php

For those of us who scour the news and watch games for scouting info, I wanted to throw some info your way. Walter has us @ #23.
Houston Texans: Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska
The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

I'm interested in:
Free safety Duenta Williams from North Carolina
Center/G Mike Pouncey Florida
FS Blake Gideon Texas
QB Pat Devlin Delaware (I like Orslovky but just in case)

Check out comments in 2nd round about Duane Brown
Houston Texans: Nate Potter, OT, Boise State
If Duane Brown doesn't improve his play this season, the Texans may search for some left tackle competition in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Why in the world would you want Blake Gideon? He's the one glaring weakness on the Longhorns defense. He's not even going to get picked up in the draft at all. No way he'll be an NFL player. I don't even think he'll be Senior next season either.

Dutchrudder
07-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Is there any chance that the Texans would target Texas A&M's Von Miller? I know he's an OLB, but couldn't they move him to the weakside and have a crazy good pass rush from both sides?

badboy
07-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Why in the world would you want Blake Gideon? He's the one glaring weakness on the Longhorns defense. He's not even going to get picked up in the draft at all. No way he'll be an NFL player. I don't even think he'll be Senior next season either.Did not say i wanted him but interested as he plays a position of need and I enjoy wathing UT games. BL,65 and I do not watch games to always rule a player into the mix but to often rule them out.

As a true freshman he started 13 games and was 3rd on team in tackles and had shoulder surgery last season. Many think he puts himself in right spot on field and keys well on QB. We will see.

bah007
07-21-2010, 02:55 PM
I like Gideon because he is a smart player and a hard worker. But I don't think he projects well in the NFL.

He is kind of a tweener at safety. Doesn't have the range to play FS and doesn't tackle well enough to play SS.

He might make a career out of special teams work and maybe as depth but I don't think he will ever be a contributor as a starting safety.

I'm a big fan of the UNC safety though. He has some serious ball skills. If he can improve his tackling a little bit then he will be looking real good.

badboy
07-21-2010, 03:31 PM
I like Gideon because he is a smart player and a hard worker. But I don't think he projects well in the NFL.

He is kind of a tweener at safety. Doesn't have the range to play FS and doesn't tackle well enough to play SS.

He might make a career out of special teams work and maybe as depth but I don't think he will ever be a contributor as a starting safety.

I'm a big fan of the UNC safety though. He has some serious ball skills. If he can improve his tackling a little bit then he will be looking real good.
Thanks. Your comments give me something to watch for this season. If all goes well with our current roster and group of draftees, I am hoping a very good FS will be available LATE in first when we select.
:turtle:

beerlover
07-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks. Your comments give me something to watch for this season. If all goes well with our current roster and group of draftees, I am hoping a very good FS will be available LATE in first when we select.
:turtle:

if Texans select LATE in 1st rd. I doubt it's going to be a FS. Wilson should finally be healthy & Barber pushes him with Nolan providing quality depth.

looking for a big time Center who can hold the point of attack against 3-4 nose tackles, see Mike Pouncey, Florida :kingkong:

rmartin65
07-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Beerlover, I hope you are right in thinking that FS becomes a non-need position. It would be great to fill that hole at center. I shudder when I look at the schedule, seeing who might be going up against Meyers. However, I am not as confident as you are. I still think that at some point during the draft, the Texans have to pick up a FS. Even if Barber or Nolan pan out (I doubt both will, but I hope I am wrong), there still needs to be a depth pick as Wilson is growing old.

JB
07-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Beerlover, I hope you are right in thinking that FS becomes a non-need position. It would be great to fill that hole at center. I shudder when I look at the schedule, seeing who might be going up against Meyers. However, I am not as confident as you are. I still think that at some point during the draft, the Texans have to pick up a FS. Even if Barber or Nolan pan out (I doubt both will, but I hope I am wrong), there still needs to be a depth pick as Wilson is growing old.

I'm just hoping they pan out so it does not have to be a first or second round pick unless that is the best available player.

Texan4Ever
07-21-2010, 06:39 PM
I like the defensive prospects in the 2011 Draft which is good for the Texans because thats where I think we need to continue to add talent. For me, players like Rahim Moore from UCLA and Ras-I-Dowling from Virginia, I think either one of these guys will make a solid addition to the defensive secondary.

badboy
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
I like the defensive prospects in the 2011 Draft which is good for the Texans because thats where I think we need to continue to add talent. For me, players like Rahim Moore from UCLA and Ras-I-Dowling from Virginia, I think either one of these guys will make a solid addition to the defensive secondary.dang I forgot about this thread, sorry. I am hopeful like Beerlover on FS but agree with 65 that until proven otherwise during this season, FS remains a need. However, if the 2011 draft is as deep as the last one, we should be able to get a solid safety in 2nd round and look at Pouncey in first.

rmartin65
07-28-2010, 10:35 AM
dang I forgot about this thread, sorry. I am hopeful like Beerlover on FS but agree with 65 that until proven otherwise during this season, FS remains a need. However, if the 2011 draft is as deep as the last one, we should be able to get a solid safety in 2nd round and look at Pouncey in first.

Hmm, I think I am still on FS in the first, OC in the second. I think Pouncey is being rated higher than he should be due to name recognition with his brother. He is a second round prospect in my eyes.

badboy
07-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Hmm, I think I am still on FS in the first, OC in the second. I think Pouncey is being rated higher than he should be due to name recognition with his brother. He is a second round prospect in my eyes.I think 2nd but gone by our pick. I think he was rated higher at center than his brother if I remember correctly. I did not watch either until late in season. I still think FS biggest need but hoefully can get one in 2nd. I will research and think about this more after I complete my wheeling and dealing in basketball forum. Who do you have available late in 2nd at center and will that person beat out Smith in 2 years?

rmartin65
07-28-2010, 01:52 PM
I think 2nd but gone by our pick. I think he was rated higher at center than his brother if I remember correctly. I did not watch either until late in season. I still think FS biggest need but hoefully can get one in 2nd. I will research and think about this more after I complete my wheeling and dealing in basketball forum. Who do you have available late in 2nd at center and will that person beat out Smith in 2 years?

Smith in 2 years? Do you mean Meyers, or are we projecting someone else takes the center spot?

Was Mike Pouncey really rated higher as a center? Thats strange, because his brother played center last year, while Mike played guard. And not to the tune of a 2nd round pick, 3rd/4th is what I have.

As far as centers in the 2nd, I dont know. TCUs Jake Kirkpatrick is a player I intend to watch this year, but I have him as a 5th now. Stanford's Chase Beeler did well last year, helping Gerhart have his monster season. But still, not a second rounder. Ohio State's Mike Brewster is another good one to watch, but I am still trying to figure out if he is a guard or center at the next level. I also really like Arizona's Baxter and Georgia Tech's Sean Bedford.

As you see, tons of names, and thats only the tip of the iceberg. I plan to focus on this position a lot more than I did last year.

beerlover
07-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I think 2nd but gone by our pick. I think he was rated higher at center than his brother if I remember correctly. I did not watch either until late in season. I still think FS biggest need but hoefully can get one in 2nd. I will research and think about this more after I complete my wheeling and dealing in basketball forum. Who do you have available late in 2nd at center and will that person beat out Smith in 2 years?

I'm still more worried about the OL than the secondary. lets just compare the off-season aquistions. The Texans spent

Secondary:
1st rd pick - Kareem Jackson
5th rd pick - Sherrick McManis

OL/C:
6th rd pick - Shelly Smith
FA - Wade Smith (not listed on depth chart?)

I like how they built both areas to have lots of versatility, but the upside @ Center position is far less compelling than what they have now @ FS. Myers is our stating center, jouneymen (except in Kubiaks system) with Chris White & Wade Smith backing him up. Eugene Wilson is bound to bounce back healthy but will be in a dogfight anyway to hold off Barber, throw in Nolan & possibly even McManis who looks natural for FS you have great competition, depth & talent.

I know its early to make this kind of call (before training camp) but I'm saying Pouncey is an excellent prospect to add next off season.

badboy
07-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Smith in 2 years? Do you mean Meyers, or are we projecting someone else takes the center spot?

Was Mike Pouncey really rated higher as a center? Thats strange, because his brother played center last year, while Mike played guard. And not to the tune of a 2nd round pick, 3rd/4th is what I have.

As far as centers in the 2nd, I dont know. TCUs Jake Kirkpatrick is a player I intend to watch this year, but I have him as a 5th now. Stanford's Chase Beeler did well last year, helping Gerhart have his monster season. But still, not a second rounder. Ohio State's Mike Brewster is another good one to watch, but I am still trying to figure out if he is a guard or center at the next level. I also really like Arizona's Baxter and Georgia Tech's Sean Bedford.

As you see, tons of names, and thats only the tip of the iceberg. I plan to focus on this position a lot more than I did last year.I have Smith beating out Studdard but rumors I hear is Kubes will not replace Studdard. I think Smith beats out Myers. My question is what late 2nd round center will beat out whoever is our starter by 2012 season?

Concerning the Pounceys: Maurkice under investigation for allegedly accepting $100,000 http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5398414

Mike is #2 center on NFLDraftscout behind Wisniewski and further research show Maurkice rated higher at center. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71387&draftyear=2011&genpos=C

The play of Oline will shape my mock for 2011 as hopefully center will not be a problem area. The offense was pretty good last season and the bevy (yeah, I said it) of RBs is going to be awesome!

rmartin65
07-29-2010, 02:20 PM
I have Smith beating out Studdard but rumors I hear is Kubes will not replace Studdard. I think Smith beats out Myers. My question is what late 2nd round center will beat out whoever is our starter by 2012 season?

Concerning the Pounceys: Maurkice under investigation for allegedly accepting $100,000 http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5398414

Mike is #2 center on NFLDraftscout behind Wisniewski and further research show Maurkice rated higher at center. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71387&draftyear=2011&genpos=C

The play of Oline will shape my mock for 2011 as hopefully center will not be a problem area. The offense was pretty good last season and the bevy (yeah, I said it) of RBs is going to be awesome!

Hmm, I could see it happening. However, Kubiak seems very happy with what we have at center. We have not brought in a serious threat to him. Guard at least seems a contested position.

By the way, Walter has a new mock up, with us taking DeAndre McDaniel. I like the pick, as he has Deunta Williams picked 3 picks earlier.

badboy
07-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Hmm, I could see it happening. However, Kubiak seems very happy with what we have at center. We have not brought in a serious threat to him. Guard at least seems a contested position.

By the way, Walter has a new mock up, with us taking DeAndre McDaniel. I like the pick, as he has Deunta Williams picked 3 picks earlier.Man. if they are paying Smith to back up that may not have been a good signing. Thanks for heads up on Walter. I saw it but was not able to review. Will take a peek now.

nero THE zero
07-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Jeez, he has us picking 29th now

Is it me or is this draft looking incredibly potentially deep if some of the younger guys declare?

badboy
07-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Jeez, he has us picking 29th now

Is it me or is this draft looking incredibly potentially deep if some of the younger guys declare?I was wondering if anyone would notice where we were selecting. I hope he is correct. Going into the season(college and pro) my focus will be on free safety as I continue to think that is our major weakness. Hopefully, Wilson will have a healthy season and at least one of the candidates behind him will step up. I would like to see Quin and Bryce McCain get some time there during TC but I doubt that will occur. Of the potentials at FS I don't see much in any but the top 6 or 7. I hope we can resolve FS with the 2nd allowing us to go best player in first.

nero THE zero
07-30-2010, 09:00 AM
With Luck, Locker, Williams, Ingram, Floyd, Green, and Baldwin all potentially declaring for this draft, I can't imagine passing on one if any fall to us.

Talk about a number of offensive weapons.

badboy
07-30-2010, 10:11 AM

By the way, Walter has a new mock up, with us taking DeAndre McDaniel. I like the pick, as he has Deunta Williams picked 3 picks earlier.McDaniel arrested for assault in 2008. In June 2008, McDaniel was arrested for assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature after an argument with his girlfriend. McDaniel reportedly punched his girlfriend in the head and then pushed her down a flight of stairs.[2]

Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeAndre_McDaniel
http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/clemson/11752

Now the other side by alleged witness :http://www.independentmail.com/blogs/greg-wallace/2008/jun/26/clemson_DeAndre_McDaniel_arrest/

And then anger management http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2008/aug/11/clemsons_mcdaniel_agrees_pretrial_intervention_ass/

Anyone think McNair would allow him to be drafted?

YoungTexanFan
07-30-2010, 10:24 AM
So I'm back on the board for a while.

To start with, I was really impressed with Crick last season with his ability to shoot the B gap on a hard slant across from Suh. With that said, he was still next to Suh. I will hold judgement on Crick until I see him play well without Suh.

If we're drafting anywhere close to where Walters has us, we aren't going to find a FS without many holes (Berry, Sean Taylor).

I don't want us to draft any more DT's. I know our guys haven't produced like they should, but at some point I stop trusting our talent evaluators at that position. It's a tough position to project because of the physical requirements. As far as Austin goes, I love the dude, but he's not a top 5 guy. He hasn't produced like he's capable of, and that worries me. He hasn't played up to his potential in his 3 years, so regardless of his ceiling, he's just another underachiever for now.

I'm against RB's in the first round unless they are AD types. Ryan Matthews was not and I am very glad we didn't wind up with him.

OL is a whole different beast. I still think Brown is best suited inside at LG, and I think drafting a premier LT would upgrade two positions. I'll be interested to see if Kubiak let's his personal interest go in the spirit of fair competition with the RG position. I still have hope that Caldwell will be able to transition to OC.

We still don't have much in the way of a speed end. Smith was an ok signing last year, and he's a solid NFL DE/DT by all means, but we don't need a DE/DT playing outside. We need a DE/OLB type. A Jerry Hughes or Dummerville type. Though granted, every team needs that type of player.

I'm still very skeptical about our secondary as a whole, we have bodies, but we don't have that much talent, and we have even less proven talent. When Barber is being considered for PT, our team has a problem. I'd like to see Nolan pan out, but I honestly don't ever see it happening. I'm also incredibly nervous about our sophomore slump for CBs.

Goldensilence
07-30-2010, 04:43 PM
So I'm back on the board for a while.

To start with, I was really impressed with Crick last season with his ability to shoot the B gap on a hard slant across from Suh. With that said, he was still next to Suh. I will hold judgement on Crick until I see him play well without Suh.

If we're drafting anywhere close to where Walters has us, we aren't going to find a FS without many holes (Berry, Sean Taylor).

I don't want us to draft any more DT's. I know our guys haven't produced like they should, but at some point I stop trusting our talent evaluators at that position. It's a tough position to project because of the physical requirements. As far as Austin goes, I love the dude, but he's not a top 5 guy. He hasn't produced like he's capable of, and that worries me. He hasn't played up to his potential in his 3 years, so regardless of his ceiling, he's just another underachiever for now.

I'm against RB's in the first round unless they are AD types. Ryan Matthews was not and I am very glad we didn't wind up with him.

OL is a whole different beast. I still think Brown is best suited inside at LG, and I think drafting a premier LT would upgrade two positions. I'll be interested to see if Kubiak let's his personal interest go in the spirit of fair competition with the RG position. I still have hope that Caldwell will be able to transition to OC.

We still don't have much in the way of a speed end. Smith was an ok signing last year, and he's a solid NFL DE/DT by all means, but we don't need a DE/DT playing outside. We need a DE/OLB type. A Jerry Hughes or Dummerville type. Though granted, every team needs that type of player.

I'm still very skeptical about our secondary as a whole, we have bodies, but we don't have that much talent, and we have even less proven talent. When Barber is being considered for PT, our team has a problem. I'd like to see Nolan pan out, but I honestly don't ever see it happening. I'm also incredibly nervous about our sophomore slump for CBs.

Probably one of the more honest assessments of the team that I've seen lately. I agree with it.

Crick might be good, but I don't trust drafting a DT in the first, not with this staff.

Doubt we see a RB taken high next year, unless someone ridiculous falls in our lap.

Wasn't a big draft Barwin fan last year, but I do hope he does turn into that LB/DE pass rusher you talk about as well.

I'm also nervous about our secondary. We're counting on an awful lot of young unproven guys at CB. Quinn had a nice rookie campaign, it's going to be a matter of him at least repeating if we're going to be ok at CB.

Love Pollard, but it's real shaky past him far as our safeties go. Wilson can't keep healthy, and even then he's a lower tier NFL starter. I'm still not overtly impressed by Barber. I, like you, would love it if Nolan pans out. Not counting on it though.

I would love to see Caldwell worked at Center, but it doesn't look like that's where the staff wants him. It will be interesting to see where Smith gets reps as camp moves on at LG, C, or possibly even RG.

Mari-OWNED!
07-31-2010, 04:04 AM
I like the defensive prospects in the 2011 Draft which is good for the Texans because thats where I think we need to continue to add talent. For me, players like Rahim Moore from UCLA and Ras-I-Dowling from Virginia, I think either one of these guys will make a solid addition to the defensive secondary.

I'm a big fan of Dowling. He has first round talent that can play cornerback or free safety.

rmartin65
07-31-2010, 07:50 AM
Dowling is a FS to me. I would not draft him in the first as a corner. I dont like his hips, they seem a little stiff.

awtysst
07-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Dowling is a FS to me. I would not draft him in the first as a corner. I dont like his hips, they seem a little stiff.

Agreed. I don't know what the Texans should be targeting as we are still in camp. FS may be an area to consider, but maybe my boy Troy Nolan steps up and grabs the spot. Perhaps even Moulden jumps into the crowded DB situation.

beerlover
07-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Agreed. I don't know what the Texans should be targeting as we are still in camp. FS may be an area to consider, but maybe my boy Troy Nolan steps up and grabs the spot. Perhaps even Moulden jumps into the crowded DB situation.

Nolan doesn't have the measureables, plus he's missed a year. his strength is his playmaking ability which is what the Texans need. I know they drafted McManis to play cb but I sure think he has the ability to play FS.

awtysst
07-31-2010, 08:43 PM
Nolan doesn't have the measureables, plus he's missed a year. his strength is his playmaking ability which is what the Texans need. I know they drafted McManis to play cb but I sure think he has the ability to play FS.

Possibly. Moulden may also make a decent option at FS. At this point (imo) its better to spend time learning about prospects rather than forecasting and predicting positions of need. Perhaps we find another discarded diamond (a la Pollard) during the year?

beerlover
08-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Possibly. Moulden may also make a decent option at FS. At this point (imo) its better to spend time learning about prospects rather than forecasting and predicting positions of need. Perhaps we find another discarded diamond (a la Pollard) during the year?

Molden is a special team player, gunner more specificly. He has good cover cb skills (similar to Reeves) can mirror with good change of direction but if you can't locate the ball chances are your not a ballhawk safety, go ahead prove me wrong but I'm pretty sure they missed on him, anything he does now is gravy. McManis is another story, he was a zone corner @ Northwestern which translates to nickle or FS in the NFL. 9 interceptions, 30 break-ups & 201 tackles means he is strong in run support & can defend/read routes & break them down.

Goldensilence
08-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Molden is a special team player, gunner more specificly. He has good cover cb skills (similar to Reeves) can mirror with good change of direction but if you can't locate the ball chances are your not a ballhawk safety, go ahead prove me wrong but I'm pretty sure they missed on him, anything he does now is gravy. McManis is another story, he was a zone corner @ Northwestern which translates to nickle or FS in the NFL. 9 interceptions, 30 break-ups & 201 tackles means he is strong in run support & can defend/read routes & break them down.

IMO the way we look at CB right now it wouldn't surprise me to see one of the bottom guys there to get a look at FS if they can't hold a spot down at CB. Far as physical tools Molden and McMannis look like they have the best shot to move successfully.

badboy
08-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Dowling is a FS to me. I would not draft him in the first as a corner. I dont like his hips, they seem a little stiff.When I watched Dowling last season, I kept mentally pushing him to FS as he definitely has size and can run with WR but the following link indicates his hips are all right. I will watch him as much as possible. Hopefully he will develop more this seaon with his skill set. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/428077-nfl-draft-wholl-go-higher-uvas-ras-i-dowling-or-vts-ryan-williams

40 Time 4.52 http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2011-Big-Board/Ras-I-Dowling.html

TexansFanatic
08-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Why in the world would you want Blake Gideon? He's the one glaring weakness on the Longhorns defense. He's not even going to get picked up in the draft at all. No way he'll be an NFL player. I don't even think he'll be Senior next season either.

Texas places three on Thorpe Watch List
Posted on: August 2, 2010 11:03 am

Texas placed three players on the Jim Thorpe Award preseason watch list, including safety Blake Gideon, who recorded six interceptions as a sophomore last season. Cornerbacks Curtis Brown and Aaron Williams also made the list of 35.

badboy
08-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Guys we have all discussed for years taking a CB and switching to free safety but the Texans just don't do that. They may take a center like Caldwell & move him to RG nut if they were going to move a corner why not Quin who was rated a the 7th best FS in the nations when he enterred the draft. I just don't see it happening although I have advocated that in the past. Most you remember my pushing of Ansah. Dallas will benefit from that move.

badboy
09-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Sept 8th revised mock by Walter @#28 Houston Texans: Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. Signing Schobel would have been a great move because in order to finally beat Peyton Manning, Houston will have to generate as monstrous a pass rush as possible. Greg Romeus could definitely help in that department as a bookend across from Mario Williams, with Connor Barwin coming in on passing downs.

Pick change; previously DeAndre McDaniel, S

badboy
09-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Interesting note alluding to major "character issues" of my #1 QB choice for Texans. I'm gonna have to research this.
Cincinnati Bengals: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
Major character issues will eventually surface regarding Ryan Mallett. Let's just say that he won't be too focused when watching game film at the next level. So with that in mind, the Bengals will really be interested in Round 2.

Carson Palmer was pretty pedestrian last year. If he struggles again this season, it'll be apparent that he'll never be 100 percent in the wake of all of his injuries. Thus, the team may consider a quarterback early in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Pick change; previously Pat Devlin, QB

badboy
09-08-2010, 10:50 AM
At #60 a DT makes more sense than a WR to me. Houston Texans: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
Adding more talent to the defensive line is never a bad idea. The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Pick change; previously Terrance Toliver, WR

nero THE zero
10-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Oct. 14, 2010

27. Houston Texans: Jurrell Casey, DT, USC
Adding more talent to the defensive line is never a bad idea. The Texans had major problems at defensive tackle in 2009, but aside from drafting Earl Mitchell in the third round, they failed to address the position. They may fix things in the 2011 NFL Draft.

59. Houston Texans: Will Hill, FS, Florida
Houston's secondary has surrendered 1,718 passing yards in the first five weeks of the season. It's so bad that even started Bruce Gradkowski in one of my leagues two weeks ago.

The Texans were desperate and started Troy Nolan against the Giants. The results were disastrous. They really need help at free safety.

Pick change; previously Curtis Brown, CB

91. Houston Texans: Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. They then brought in Mark Anderson. Houston clearly wants help at defensive end.

kiwitexansfan
10-16-2010, 12:49 PM
My 2c as a Nebraska fan on Crick.

He was dynamic and awesome last year, but I think that was a lot about playing next to Suh.

This year he is still good but I don't see him impacting games in a way that justifies he being a 1st round pick.

beerlover
10-16-2010, 01:04 PM
I fail to see their logic in the pecking order? doubt Texans still project to be selecting late as #27 that being said take the best impact defensive player around the 20th selection. Have my sights set on Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue.

Rey
10-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Nolan didn't look "disastrous" to me against the Giants. Eli wasn't bombing down the middle of the field..He was completing a lot of intermediate and side line stuff.

nero THE zero
10-21-2010, 08:07 AM
20. Houston Texans: Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
Houston's secondary has surrendered 1,919 passing yards in the first six weeks of the season. Eugene Wilson has been awful, and the Texans were so desperate that they started Troy Nolan against the Giants. The results were disastrous. They really need help at free safety.

Pick change; previously Jurrell Casey, DT

52. Houston Texans: Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. They then brought in Mark Anderson. Houston clearly wants help at defensive end.

Greg Romeus has barely played this year, but had 11.5 TFL and eight sacks in 2009.

Pick change; previously Will Hill, FS

84. Houston Texans: Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson

Pick change; previously Jabaal Sheard, DE

IDEXAN
10-21-2010, 08:12 AM
We use 2 of first 3 picks on DLine ? Sounds good to me.

Wolf6151
10-21-2010, 10:19 AM
20. Houston Texans: Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
Houston's secondary has surrendered 1,919 passing yards in the first six weeks of the season. Eugene Wilson has been awful, and the Texans were so desperate that they started Troy Nolan against the Giants. The results were disastrous. They really need help at free safety.

52. Houston Texans: Greg Romeus, DE, Pittsburgh

Greg Romeus has barely played this year, but had 11.5 TFL and eight sacks in 2009.

Pick change; previously Will Hill, FS

84. Houston Texans: Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson

Pick change; previously Jabaal Sheard, DE

I'd prefer Brandon Harris-CB in the 1st round and to get an experienced FS in FA but I could certainly live with this.

steelbtexan
10-21-2010, 10:43 AM
I fail to see their logic in the pecking order? doubt Texans still project to be selecting late as #27 that being said take the best impact defensive player around the 20th selection. Have my sights set on Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue.

Dont know where the Texans will be picking but the two guys I want the Texans to take are Aaron Wiliams in the 12-20 range. Or Kerrigan in the 20-30 range.

If the Texans are picking 12-15 and get Williams. I would trade back into the bottom of the 1st rd and take Kerrigan. Of course the Texans wont do this but it would go along way to solving the problems on this defense.

This will all be a moot point come draft day because the guys I want the Texans to take in the offseason always move up 10 spots by draft day. That and the fact I'm losing faith in R.Smith's ability to procure top talent in the draft.

Goldensilence
10-21-2010, 11:58 AM
We use 2 of first 3 picks on DLine ? Sounds good to me.

Sounds terrible to me. Texans haven't been able to get what we should out of first round DTs. Dts in the first are such boom or bust propositions. I'd rather just stay away from them and use our first on a spot we know we're going to get production out of the gate.

I'd really like to see a FS in the first.

badboy
10-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Dont know where the Texans will be picking but the two guys I want the Texans to take are Aaron Wiliams in the 12-20 range. Or Kerrigan in the 20-30 range.

If the Texans are picking 12-15 and get Williams. I would trade back into the bottom of the 1st rd and take Kerrigan. Of course the Texans wont do this but it would go along way to solving the problems on this defense.

This will all be a moot point come draft day because the guys I want the Texans to take in the offseason always move up 10 spots by draft day. That and the fact I'm losing faith in R.Smith's ability to procure top talent in the draft.If Houston picks below 20, heads should roll. I would be cool this year going defense all picks. CB should be deep but not free safety. If anyone has idea of free agent safeties available next off season, please post.

nero THE zero
10-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Sounds terrible to me. Texans haven't been able to get what we should out of first round DTs. Dts in the first are such boom or bust propositions. I'd rather just stay away from them and use our first on a spot we know we're going to get production out of the gate.

I'd really like to see a FS in the first.

Uh, did you even read the post you quoted?

Also, what I find funny about Walter's mock is that he had the 3-2 Texans picking 27th, and the 4-2 Texans picking 20th. The math just doesn't seem right to me, but what do I know.

Goldensilence
10-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Uh, did you even read the post you quoted?

Also, what I find funny about Walter's mock is that he had the 3-2 Texans picking 27th, and the 4-2 Texans picking 20th. The math just doesn't seem right to me, but what do I know.

Uhh yes I did. Thanks. Maybe you can point out to me what I misinterpreted about 2-3 top picks on the DL.

At this point I'm done with this staff/team taking DTs high. It's just too much of a boom or bust position,we've busted twice, and missed out on much more productive players while we hope and pray that they figure it out. At this point we're getting similar production from a rotated 3rd round pick as opposed to our top 10 dt.

Wolf6151
10-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Uhh yes I did. Thanks. Maybe you can point out to me what I misinterpreted about 2-3 top picks on the DL.

At this point I'm done with this staff/team taking DTs high. It's just too much of a boom or bust position,we've busted twice, and missed out on much more productive players while we hope and pray that they figure it out. At this point we're getting similar production from a rotated 3rd round pick as opposed to our top 10 dt.

The 2 D-line picks aren't early or high draft picks. FS was taken in the 1st round, DE taken in the 2nd round, and DT was taken in the 3rd round. A 3rd round DT isn't a high draft pick.

nero THE zero
10-22-2010, 09:39 AM

You're complaining about him having us take a DT in the first round and would rather us take a FS.

He has us taking a FS in the first round, not a DT.

steelbtexan
10-23-2010, 03:05 AM
I would rather see Smith draft a CB/S and a pass rushing DE high. rds1/2.

Then sign or trade for a proven vet DT. Like the Skins did with Kemau.

Drafting interior DL high is too much of a crap shoot for my taste.

beerlover
10-23-2010, 04:45 AM
I would rather see Smith draft a CB/S and a pass rushing DE high. rds1/2.

Then sign or trade for a proven vet DT. Like the Skins did with Kemau.

Drafting interior DL high is too much of a crap shoot for my taste.

I would take any one of the above if in fact he was the bpa.... :kubepalm:

Wolf6151
10-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Here's the latest from Walter, they've got us picking at #19:

1. Janoris Jenkins-CB Florida
2. Jurrell Casey-DT USC
3. Pernell McPhee-DE Mississippi State

To be honest, I ain't real thrilled with it and don't know anything about McPhee.

badboy
10-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Here's the latest from Walter, they've got us picking at #19:

1. Janoris Jenkins-CB Florida
2. Jurrell Casey-DT USC
3. Pernell McPhee-DE Mississippi State

To be honest, I ain't real thrilled with it and don't know anything about McPhee.
My interest in Jenkins has wained a bit. I think he is a bit slow for his size. Here is an eval from Walterfootball.com for those who do not research it.

Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida
Height: 5-10. Weight: 188.
Projected 40 Time: 4.56.
Projected Round (2011): 2-3.
10/9/10: Jenkins isn't technicallly the greatest corner in the 2011 NFL Draft and he lacks elite athleticism, but he has great instincts. I'm not as high on him as most are, and his matchup against A.J. Green will be interesting to say the least. He held his own against Julio Jones.

McPhee, I have not followed very closely but info is he may be over weight and need to shed some. A good senior bowl and great combine would allow his stock to rise. I have him around a 4th round but do not want any of these player on Texans. Hope this helps.

Casey I liked better but is slipping: Jurrell Casey*, DT, USC
Height: 6-1. Weight: 295.
Projected 40 Time: 5.04.
Projected Round (2011): 1-2.
10/8/10: Teams seem to be focusing more in on Casey this season by bringing double teams and chipping the running back to prevent him from being as effective as a pass-rusher. Maybe we also overrated his talent level last season. Whatever the case, his stock is quietly falling.

5/6/10: A 4-3 under tackle only, Jurrell Casey is expected to have a big junior year; he collected nine TFL and 4.5 sacks in 2009.

nero THE zero
11-04-2010, 08:11 AM
19. # Houston Texans: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
How much longer can Gary Kubiak keep trotting out underachievers like Jacoby Jones or mediocre talents like Kevin Walter to play across from Andre Johnson? It's time to find a legitimate starter across from Johnson, and Jonathan Baldwin is the top player available.

Baldwin, at 6-5, 225, caught 57 balls for 1,111 yards and eight touchdowns as a sophomore in 2009. He has only 33 receptions through eight games this season because his 5-foot-8 tattooed quarterback can't get him the ball.

Pick change; previously Janoris Jenkins, CB

50. Houston Texans: Jurrell Casey, DT, USC

Jurrell Casey is a great value here; he drops because there are too many 3-4 teams that wouldn't consider him.

81. Houston Texans: Pernell McPhee, DE, Mississippi State

badboy
11-04-2010, 08:56 AM
19. # Houston Texans: Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
How much longer can Gary Kubiak keep trotting out underachievers like Jacoby Jones or mediocre talents like Kevin Walter to play across from Andre Johnson? It's time to find a legitimate starter across from Johnson, and Jonathan Baldwin is the top player available.

Baldwin, at 6-5, 225, caught 57 balls for 1,111 yards and eight touchdowns as a sophomore in 2009. He has only 33 receptions through eight games this season because his 5-foot-8 tattooed quarterback can't get him the ball.

Pick change; previously Janoris Jenkins, CB

50. Houston Texans: Jurrell Casey, DT, USC

Jurrell Casey is a great value here; he drops because there are too many 3-4 teams that wouldn't consider him.

81. Houston Texans: Pernell McPhee, DE, Mississippi State
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. They then brought in Mark Anderson. Houston clearly wants help at defensive end.Baldwin does look like a good pick but I have heard analysts say Houston does not want two #1 WRs due to salary. Not sure I agree about that because you can bring the rookie in at a very reasonable deal under the new CBA and Johnson is locked in through most of his productive years. Link to Balwin's evaluation http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011jbaldwin.php

I have a hard time going WR in first 3 rounds but think there are some pretty good prospects probably avail in 4th. The info comes from Waltefootball.com

Derrell Johnson-Koulianos, WR/KR, Iowa
Height: 6-1. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.43.
Projected Round (2011): 3-5.
3/31/10: An underrated talent, Derrell Johnson-Koulianos snagged 45 passes for 750 yards in 2009. Doubles as a solid kick-returner.

8/7/09: A big receiver with solid speed, Derrell Johnson-Koulianos notched 44 receptions for 639 yards and three scores as a sophomore.

Terrance Toliver, WR, LSU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 206.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2011): 4-6.
3/31/10: Terrance Toliver really improved as a junior, catching 53 passes for 735 yards and three scores.

DeAndre Brown*, WR, Southern Miss
Height: 6-6. Weight: 228.
Projected 40 Time: 4.48.
3/31/10: Coming off a broken leg, DeAndre Brown caught 47 passes for 785 yards and nine scores. What broken leg?

8/7/09: As a freshman, DeAndre Brown logged 67 receptions for 1,117 yards and 12 touchdowns. Unfortunately, he broke his leg in a meaningless winter practice game.

Ryan Whalen, WR, Stanford
Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.51.
3/31/10: Ryan Whalen notched 57 receptions, 926 yards and four touchdowns in 2009.

Chris Owusu*, WR, Stanford
Height: 6-2. Weight: 201.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
Projected Round (2011): 4-6
3/31/10: Grabbed 37 balls for 682 yards and five scores in a pro-style attack. Could declare early if Andrew Luck leaves.

BigBull17
11-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Baldwin does look like a good pick but I have heard analysts say Houston does not want two #1 WRs due to salary. Not sure I agree about that because you can bring the rookie in at a very reasonable deal under the new CBA and Johnson is locked in through most of his productive years. Link to Balwin's evaluation http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011jbaldwin.php

I have a hard time going WR in first 3 rounds but think there are some pretty good prospects probably avail in 4th. The info comes from Waltefootball.com

Derrell Johnson-Koulianos, WR/KR, Iowa
Height: 6-1. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.43.
Projected Round (2011): 3-5.
3/31/10: An underrated talent, Derrell Johnson-Koulianos snagged 45 passes for 750 yards in 2009. Doubles as a solid kick-returner.

8/7/09: A big receiver with solid speed, Derrell Johnson-Koulianos notched 44 receptions for 639 yards and three scores as a sophomore.

Terrance Toliver, WR, LSU
Height: 6-5. Weight: 206.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
3/31/10: Terrance Toliver really improved as a junior, catching 53 passes for 735 yards and three scores.

DeAndre Brown*, WR, Southern Miss
Height: 6-6. Weight: 228.
Projected 40 Time: 4.48.
3/31/10: Coming off a broken leg, DeAndre Brown caught 47 passes for 785 yards and nine scores. What broken leg?

8/7/09: As a freshman, DeAndre Brown logged 67 receptions for 1,117 yards and 12 touchdowns. Unfortunately, he broke his leg in a meaningless winter practice game.

Ryan Whalen, WR, Stanford
Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.51.
3/31/10: Ryan Whalen notched 57 receptions, 926 yards and four touchdowns in 2009.

Chris Owusu*, WR, Stanford
Height: 6-2. Weight: 201.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
Projected Round (2011): 4-6
3/31/10: Grabbed 37 balls for 682 yards and five scores in a pro-style attack. Could declare early if Andrew Luck leaves.

We've done the budget wr's, and they don't fill the void. I'm very disappointed in Walter this year, minus one game. Get the oline and weapons needed to take pressure off of AJ.

nero THE zero
11-04-2010, 09:24 AM
I think we're pretty much in position to take BPA.

Sure, we have needs in the middle of both lines and in the secondary, but they're not so pressing to preclude us from making a luxury pick if we really like a player. Plus, we desperately need a veteran presence in our secondary moreso than rookies.

badboy
11-04-2010, 09:26 AM
We've done the budget wr's, and they don't fill the void. I'm very disappointed in Walter this year, minus one game. Get the oline and weapons needed to take pressure off of AJ.IMO none of our WRs including AJ have stepped up this season. SOme of that is Oline and some QB but some is on the WRs

BigBull17
11-04-2010, 09:39 AM
IMO none of our WRs including AJ have stepped up this season. SOme of that is Oline and some QB but some is on the WRs

...AJ hasn't stepped up...? God, can't wait for that. His ankle is really bothering him, IMO.

badboy
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM
...AJ hasn't stepped up...? God, can't wait for that. His ankle is really bothering him, IMO.Since injurying his ankle, he avg 16 yds on 4 receptions against Dallas; 13.2 on 12 receptions against Washingon and 11 yds on 3 receptions against Colts. His first three games he had 7,8 and 5 receptions for 15, 17 and 19 but only three touchdowns. AJ can get the ball down the field but I'd like to see a few more long TDS. I am not trying to trash him and consider him the team's best player.

BigBull17
11-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Since injurying his ankle, he avg 16 yds on 4 receptions against Dallas; 13.2 on 12 receptions against Washingon and 11 yds on 3 receptions against Colts. His first three games he had 7,8 and 5 receptions for 15, 17 and 19 but only three touchdowns. AJ can get the ball down the field but I'd like to see a few more long TDS. I am not trying to trash him and consider him the team's best player.

OK. I think his ankle is bugging him.

beerlover
11-04-2010, 12:29 PM
we go through this (taking WR in 1st) every year, just look at it as a review of a future fantasy play next year for another team :cool:

Indy was deep @ WR so they didn't draft one yet they picked up Blair White, who I wanted the Texans to take a look at 4th/5th rd. but went undrafted. now he is getting spot WR duty & returning punts which is more bang for the buck than the Texans are getting from entire 4th-7th rd. picks of Texans.

Right now if I where going to look WR in a later round 6th or 7th I really like that Oregon Duck Jeff Maehl, WR, 6-1 180. excellent route runner with soft hands reminds me of Kevin Walter but needs to get stronger.

Wolf6151
11-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Hell NO to a WR in the 1st round, I wouldn't mind Terrance Toliver-WR from LSU in the 4th round but no earlier. Actually I'd like to see us go all defense in this draft with double picks at DT and CB.

Can we draft a head coach and coaching staff? Maybe Jim Harbough from Stanford?

badboy
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Hell NO to a WR in the 1st round, I wouldn't mind Terrance Toliver-WR from LSU in the 4th round but no earlier. Actually I'd like to see us go all defense in this draft with double picks at DT and CB.

Can we draft a head coach and coaching staff? Maybe Jim Harbough from Stanford?Yep to what you said.

Rey
11-04-2010, 01:40 PM
I would not consider drafting a WR or and offensive skill player early unless they were just the shyt.

Otherwise, I'm looking to upgrade that defensive interior and the defensive backfield.

Give me a DB and a DT (any order) in the first two rounds and I could really care less what they do for the rest of the draft.

steelbtexan
11-04-2010, 03:11 PM
we go through this (taking WR in 1st) every year, just look at it as a review of a future fantasy play next year for another team :cool:

Indy was deep @ WR so they didn't draft one yet they picked up Blair White, who I wanted the Texans to take a look at 4th/5th rd. but went undrafted. now he is getting spot WR duty & returning punts which is more bang for the buck than the Texans are getting from entire 4th-7th rd. picks of Texans.

Right now if I where going to look WR in a later round 6th or 7th I really like that Oregon Duck Jeff Maehl, WR, 6-1 180. excellent route runner with soft hands reminds me of Kevin Walter but needs to get stronger.

This one of the reasons the Colts are better than the Texans. They are better talent evaluators (That and #18) than Smithiak. Only Dungy could hold the Colts back from multiple championships. IMHO

nero THE zero
11-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Wow. Talk about reactionary. He has us picking at 13 now.

Anyway...

13. Houston Texans: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
How much longer can Gary Kubiak keep trotting out underachievers like Jacoby Jones or mediocre talents like Kevin Walter to play across from Andre Johnson? It's time to find a legitimate starter across from Johnson, and Julio Jones is arguably the top player available.

Jones' downfall is the inconsistency with his hands, but he's an elite talent otherwise. Brandon Marshall also has trouble catching the ball at times, and teams would gladly draft someone of that caliber at No. 13 overall.

Besides, Jones has been better of late, even showing off his toughness by playing hurt. And despite the injury, Jones caught six balls against Patrick Peterson.

Pick change; previously Jonathan Baldwin, WR

44. Houston Texans: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU

Drake Nevis is a great value here; he drops because there are too many 3-4 teams that wouldn't consider him.

80. Houston Texans: Pernell McPhee, DE, Mississippi State

badboy
11-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Wow. Talk about reactionary. He has us picking at 13 now.

Anyway...

13. Houston Texans: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
How much longer can Gary Kubiak keep trotting out underachievers like Jacoby Jones or mediocre talents like Kevin Walter to play across from Andre Johnson? It's time to find a legitimate starter across from Johnson, and Julio Jones is arguably the top player available.

Jones' downfall is the inconsistency with his hands, but he's an elite talent otherwise. Brandon Marshall also has trouble catching the ball at times, and teams would gladly draft someone of that caliber at No. 13 overall.

Besides, Jones has been better of late, even showing off his toughness by playing hurt. And despite the injury, Jones caught six balls against Patrick Peterson.

Pick change; previously Jonathan Baldwin, WR

Drake Nevis is a great value here; he drops because there are too many 3-4 teams that wouldn't consider him.

80. Houston Texans: Pernell McPhee, DE, Mississippi State
The Texans showed some interest in Aaron Schobel, but nothing really worked out. They then brought in Mark Anderson. Houston clearly wants help at defensive end.While I do use Walter for player info and evals, I put little emphasis on their mocks. I'd be very okay with the last two picks but would probably go corner first round again with those two D guys noted in 2nd & 3rd. I think we are closer to 19 than 13 today.

Wolf6151
11-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I know this is a topic for another thread but we've got a really tough schedule ahead and a very shaky team that's not very good, I think we draft in the 14-17 range after a 7-9 or 8-8 season.

I agree with badboy, CB in the 1st round. There is no substitute for elite level CB's, it's one of the few positions that guys usually don't get coached up to. Your either great or your not and Brandon Harris-CB from Miami will be great in the NFL. I think he could even be top 10 material and could go ahead of Patrick Peterson who I think will make a better FS in the NFL.

beerlover
11-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I know this is a topic for another thread but we've got a really tough schedule ahead and a very shaky team that's not very good, I think we draft in the 14-17 range after a 7-9 or 8-8 season.

I agree with badboy, CB in the 1st round. There is no substitute for elite level CB's, it's one of the few positions that guys usually don't get coached up to. Your either great or your not and Brandon Harris-CB from Miami will be great in the NFL. I think he could even be top 10 material and could go ahead of Patrick Peterson who I think will make a better FS in the NFL.

this would be my ideal scenero along with Rick Smith grows a pair to trade up & draft him. I really beleive he could make immdediate impact for Texans @ Safety. One, right, bold move here could really help this defense & save Gary Kubiak & Co's job :barman:

badboy
11-11-2010, 01:07 PM

I agree with badboy, CB in the 1st round. There is no substitute for elite level CB's, it's one of the few positions that guys usually don't get coached up to. Your either great or your not and Brandon Harris-CB from Miami will be great in the NFL. I think he could even be top 10 material and could go ahead of Patrick Peterson who I think will make a better FS in the NFL.Please note that I agreed with CB in first only if I knew we'd get Nevis in second and a DE later. My mock calls for Fairley DT in first and CB in second. I go DE in 5th with Winterswyck from Boise State. While I have a lock down corner as highest priority, I think a combo of Fairley and a cover CB like Jimmy Smith the way to go. I do not see a free safety I'd take a chance on until 4th.

badboy
11-11-2010, 01:18 PM

this would be my ideal scenero along with Rick Smith grows a pair to trade up & draft him. I really beleive he could make immdediate impact for Texans @ Safety. One, right, bold move here could really help this defense & save Gary Kubiak & Co's job :barman:Sorry guys, no way do I draft Peterson high first and move him to FS. He is just too good a CB. Move Quin to FS and slide P.into KJ's spot, although I like KJ better at SS. I could do that if we drafted my guy Culliver in 4th to be FS.

1. Cb Peterson (lol he will be long gone but say B.Harris)
2. DT Drake Nevis
3. QB Enderle
4. FS/CB Chris Culliver 6'1" 201 4.47 moved to corner this year; leave Quin at off CB

beerlover
11-11-2010, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=beerlover;1576861]Sorry guys, no way do I draft Peterson high first and move him to FS. He is just too good a CB. Move Quin to FS and slide P.into KJ's spot, although I like KJ better at SS. I could do that if we drafted my guy Culliver in 4th to be FS.

1. Cb Peterson (lol he will be long gone but say B.Harris)
2. DT Drake Nevis
3. QB Enderle
4. FS/CB Chris Culliver 6'1" 201 4.47 moved to corner this year; leave Quin at off CB

2 against 1 :heh:

see what/when rmartin65 chimes in

rmartin65
11-11-2010, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=beerlover;1576861]Sorry guys, no way do I draft Peterson high first and move him to FS. He is just too good a CB. Move Quin to FS and slide P.into KJ's spot, although I like KJ better at SS. I could do that if we drafted my guy Culliver in 4th to be FS.

[QUOTE=badboy;1576897]

2 against 1 :heh:

see what/when rmartin65 chimes in

Sorry badboy, I have to say Peterson has a higher ceiling at FS. 6'1", 220 lbs? FS my friend. Culliver has actually been injured, and will likely miss the rest of the season. That, coupled with the fact that he has more of a CB build, leads me away from him at FS.

EDIT: Looks like it messed up the quoting, interesting.

badboy
11-11-2010, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=badboy;1576897]

[QUOTE=beerlover;1576933]

Sorry badboy, I have to say Peterson has a higher ceiling at FS. 6'1", 220 lbs? FS my friend. Culliver has actually been injured, and will likely miss the rest of the season. That, coupled with the fact that he has more of a CB build, leads me away from him at FS.

EDIT: Looks like it messed up the quoting, interesting.Culliver's injury is now more serious than the bicep strain reported. I've been worried about that as I have not heard much since. As a safety before moving to corner this season I liked his body style and speed.

I am going to stay stubborn on Peterson at CB not saying he could not play FS but corner is where I'd have him. I am not a big Peterson fan as every time I watch LSU I see little of him except on returns. Anyone want to bet what position he will play in NFL?

Anyway, I had Smith convinced to trade up and pick Earl Thomas FS but Beerlover talked him out of it!! Hey BL how many INTs does he have? 4 I think? Seriously, BL I loved him too but probably would have cost us a 3 or maybe a two. And we all know how productive those picks have been this season..:smiliepalm:

beerlover
11-11-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm being mis-quoted :smiliepalm:

funny!

A great safety will upgrade the CB's even if they are average.

rmartin65
11-11-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm being mis-quoted :smiliepalm:

funny!

A great safety will upgrade the CB's even if they are average.

Yeah, when I was doing the multi quote it must have messed up. Or I did, I dont know. But I agree with you that Peterson has a higher ceiling as a FS than as a CB.

beerlover
11-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah, when I was doing the multi quote it must have messed up. Or I did, I dont know. But I agree with you that Peterson has a higher ceiling as a FS than as a CB.

everybody wants the next Ed Reed but don't want to spend a high pick on position. Just how much better would he single handedly improve Texans secondary? He is a playmaker, check. Great tackler, check. can blanket TE's/RB's, #2/#3 WR's & double team #1's, check. premier, elite athlete, check.

steelbtexan
11-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Want to improve the secondary in paticular and the defense in general. Invest in your defense like this.

Sign Champ Bailey in FA. Bailey isn't as good as he used to be. But he's better than any DB currently on the roster.

Draft

Rd.1 A. Williams CB UT
Rd.2 M.Barron FS Ala
Rd.3 Jabaal Sheard DE Pitt
Rd.4 Adrian Taylor DT Okla
Rd.5 Casey Matthews LB Ore

This is about capital and how much of this capital the Texans are willing to spend to upgrade one of the worst defenses in NFL history statistically speaking.

After seeing the defense this yr. These moves to upgrade the defense would not be out of line. IMHO

MW Cody Mitchell Smith
Barwin Taylor Okoye Sheard
Anderson

Cushing Ryans Diles
Adibi Bentley Matthews

Bailey Pollard Barron A.Williams
Jackson Barron Quin Quin
Nolan

This defense would be much improved in the pass would be much improved in addition to the secondary. This would be a young fast defense who should improve as the season goes along. IMHO

This will never happen because it takes pro active thinking. Something the Texans seem to be lacking during the Smithiak regime.

badboy
11-12-2010, 08:29 AM
everybody wants the next Ed Reed but don't want to spend a high pick on position. Just how much better would he single handedly improve Texans secondary? He is a playmaker, check. Great tackler, check. can blanket TE's/RB's, #2/#3 WR's & double team #1's, check. premier, elite athlete, check.Ok, here's one for you; we draft Peterson to play FS, do you keep KJ and Quin as your starting CBs or attempt to draft a CB later rounds to take on the #1 WR? Example:
1.Peterson FS
2. Drake Nevis DT
3. CB?
4. DE?

badboy
11-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Any of you guys know much about the recent FA signing on Jason Allen? I've not been able to research yet, but it appears he is a cull. Stats look ok.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Jason-Allen/fb5b3c37-9417-4069-b3b8-4562bc23af56

beerlover
11-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Ok, here's one for you; we draft Peterson to play FS, do you keep KJ and Quin as your starting CBs or attempt to draft a CB later rounds to take on the #1 WR? Example:
1.Peterson FS
2. Drake Nevis DT
3. CB?
4. DE?

in general terms, yes but you know the NFL is all about match-ups. meaning the Texans would have more flexability & athletic talent in secondary to apply pressure where needed. both Quinn & Kareem are physical corners, along with Pollard the Texans have three enforcers yet teams target them @ such a high rate because they can move them out of position to create mis-matches. Peterson would provide superior athletic centerfielder who can read/recognize & come in hot over the top making plays on the ball ala Ed Reed. He is a rare talent in that regard, most teams will recognize this regardless you don't generally take safetys this high in the draft but just look what Eric Berry has done for Kansas City. Interesting because Berry basicly has replaced Pollard, whereas Peterson is better coverage prospect.

Drake Nevis is also a high first round selection. I'm sick & tired plus I don't trust the Texans when it comes to DT's or CB's with out first picks. Thats bad on me, I can get behind those positions with the right one I'm just not going to spend alot of my time evaling those cats unless Texans make major changes (replace DC or switch to 3-4). Anyway going back to your question I think taking a DT or CB in second can yeild a decent enough upgrade to warrent picking one there. love to get Virginia Junior CB Chase Minnifield in second for example, think he can be as good as any first round CB's in this draft if handled correctly.

My bottome line: Texans need to add atheltic playmakers to the defense, no more mr nice guys.

beerlover
11-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Any of you guys know much about the recent FA signing on Jason Allen? I've not been able to research yet, but it appears he is a cull. Stats look ok.
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Jason-Allen/fb5b3c37-9417-4069-b3b8-4562bc23af56

I remember him of course, thought he was an early 2nd rd. FS prospect. I would imagine he fits here right away on special teams, replacing Barber (who may have run out of time here himself). I never thought he was CB material. He has good ball skills, 4 years of experience I like him more @ FS than anyone Texans currently have on roster, but don't expect major impact right away until he has time to practice with team & learn system/expectations of role going forward.

Best case scenero is that he does become the Texans starting FS & the Texans won't feel compelled to trade up for Peterson or use a high pick in next years draft on high priority need FS.

badboy
11-12-2010, 01:56 PM
in general terms, yes but you know the NFL is all about match-ups. meaning the Texans would have more flexability & athletic talent in secondary to apply pressure where needed. both Quinn & Kareem are physical corners, along with Pollard the Texans have three enforcers yet teams target them @ such a high rate because they can move them out of position to create mis-matches. Peterson would provide superior athletic centerfielder who can read/recognize & come in hot over the top making plays on the ball ala Ed Reed. He is a rare talent in that regard, most teams will recognize this regardless you don't generally take safetys this high in the draft but just look what Eric Berry has done for Kansas City. Interesting because Berry basicly has replaced Pollard, whereas Peterson is better coverage prospect.

Drake Nevis is also a high first round selection. I'm sick & tired plus I don't trust the Texans when it comes to DT's or CB's with out first picks. Thats bad on me, I can get behind those positions with the right one I'm just not going to spend alot of my time evaling those cats unless Texans make major changes (replace DC or switch to 3-4). Anyway going back to your question I think taking a DT or CB in second can yeild a decent enough upgrade to warrent picking one there. love to get Virginia Junior CB Chase Minnifield in second for example, think he can be as good as any first round CB's in this draft if handled correctly.

My bottome line: Texans need to add atheltic playmakers to the defense, no more mr nice guys.If I could get a DT, shut down type CB and a FS it would be a great draft.

nero THE zero
11-18-2010, 08:23 AM
13. Houston Texans: Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida
The Texans have one of the worst defenses we've seen in a long time. So, how do you fix it?

First of all, Zach Diles needs to go. He's a horrific weakside linebacker who's a major liability in coverage. An upgrade at nose tackle is desperately needed. Two new safeties (particularly a free safety) have to be found. Another pass-rusher wouldn't hurt.

And then there's the cornerback position. Glover Quin cannot be allowed to start anymore. I don't even have any beef with his awful attempt to bat down David Garrard's Hail Mary; he can't tackle whatsoever, as evidenced by Zach Miller's 51-yard touchdown in the Jacksonville game.

Janoris Jenkins, the best player available who fills a need, would give Houston another top-flight corner across from Kareem Jackson. Hopefully Jackson isn't inept next year...

Pick change; previously Julio Jones, WR

Drake Nevis is having a great year. I wanted to slot him toward the end of Round 1, but there are just way too many 3-4 teams now.

75. # Houston Texans: Sam Acho, DE, Texas

Pick change; previously Pernell McPhee, DE

badboy
11-18-2010, 08:58 AM
The Texans have one of the worst defenses we've seen in a long time. So, how do you fix it?

First of all, Zach Diles needs to go. He's a horrific weakside linebacker who's a major liability in coverage. An upgrade at nose tackle is desperately needed. Two new safeties (particularly a free safety) have to be found. Another pass-rusher wouldn't hurt.

And then there's the cornerback position. Glover Quin cannot be allowed to start anymore. I don't even have any beef with his awful attempt to bat down David Garrard's Hail Mary; he can't tackle whatsoever, as evidenced by Zach Miller's 51-yard touchdown in the Jacksonville game.

Janoris Jenkins, the best player available who fills a need, would give Houston another top-flight corner across from Kareem Jackson. Hopefully Jackson isn't inept next year...

Drake Nevis is having a great year. I wanted to slot him toward the end of Round 1, but there are just way too many 3-4 teams now.

Pick change; previously Pernell McPhee, DEI like this mock better than the last in first but I have fallen away from Acho a bit. I like Winterswyck DE Boise in 5th. I do need to replace 4th round as my FS is injured. Can't make up my mind if I'd go DT or Cb in first and opposite in second. Probably will depend on who will be available. Auburn against Alabama should be interesting.

badboy
11-18-2010, 09:17 AM

Pick change; previously Pernell McPhee, DEI like this mock better than the last in first but I have fallen away from Acho a bit. I like Winterswyck DE Boise in 5th. I do need to replace 4th round as my FS is injured. Can't make up my mind if I'd go DT or Cb in first and opposite in second. Probably will depend on who will be available. Auburn against Alabama should be interesting.

Wolf6151
11-18-2010, 03:30 PM

I like this draft much better than the last one but I worry about Nevis's lack of size and don't want Acho at all.

I love the comments from this guy, even outsiders realize that after 5 yrs. in the Kubiak system we're still starting terrible players.

badboy
11-18-2010, 03:37 PM
I like this draft much better than the last one but I worry about Nevis's lack of size and don't want Acho at all.

I love the comments from this guy, even outsiders realize that after 5 yrs. in the Kubiak system we're still starting terrible players.Do you think we will go after a QB in draft to back up Schaub? I think Leinert will go to a better offer as a FA and if we re-sign Orslovsky, I just might scream.

Wolf6151
11-18-2010, 08:38 PM
We might pick up a QB in the draft but if we do it'll probably be very late, ie: 6th or 7th round. Someone to stick on the practice squad as emergency insurance. Andy Dalton-QB from TCU maybe.

beerlover
11-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Never say never especially if Schaub goes down & the Texans lose out rest of the way :specnatz:

beerlover
11-25-2010, 02:09 AM
Happy Thanksgiving - 11/25

#12 Houston Texans: Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida

#43Houston Texans: Drake Nevis, DT, LSU

#76Houston Texans: Sam Acho, DE, Texas

badboy
11-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Happy Thanksgiving - 11/25

#76That's odd as their own CB ratings has Jennings listed @ #8 behind Curtis Brown, Brandon Burton, Aaron Williams, Ras i Dowling and Brandon Harris #3. I am looking at Harris #1, Nevis #2 and move either QUin or KJ to FS.

Doppelganger
11-30-2010, 06:55 PM
I will give it a try.

1) Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State: provide more pass rush

2)Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma : another pass rusher for situational DE

3) Alex Linnenkohl, C, Oregon State: help with the Oline

So, what do yall think?

JB
11-30-2010, 08:51 PM
I will give it a try.

So, what do yall think?

Where do you think we will be drafting?

Doppelganger
11-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Where do you think we will be drafting?

I figure we finish with about 7-8 wins, so around 15 or so

JB
11-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I figure we finish with about 7-8 wins, so around 15 or so

Fair enough. I am hoping that if we are drafting around 15, that Fairly falls to us.

steelbtexan
11-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Fair enough. I am hoping that if we are drafting around 15, that Fairly falls to us.

I doubt Fairley will fall to 15.

But there should be a really good DE/LB/S

JB
11-30-2010, 10:24 PM
I doubt Fairley will fall to 15.

But there should be a really good DE/LB/S

I doubt so also.

Maybe this is the year we make a move!?

Doppelganger
12-01-2010, 07:15 AM

I was thinking he would be a top 10 pick when all is said and done.

beerlover
12-01-2010, 08:37 AM
I will give it a try.

So, what do yall think?

Texans seem locked in a "comfort range" #15-#20. I like Paea & DT is always a huge need. Shaun Cody is going to be a free agent in 2011 do you resign him or draft somebody in the 1st/2nd rd. to replace him?

Texans would be lucky to get Beal in 2nd. He directly measures up with injured Connor Barwin. Both could also fit in a 3-4 as OLB's.

Linnenkohl is a bit of a reach this early. Your right, Texans need to look @ Center position for the future so I would have no problem selecting him in the 6th (last year took a shot with OG Shelly Smith who does have a future with this team). The big question I think the Texans face is will they resign Rashad Butler? He played well during Duane Browns suspension, think he made himself some money, will it be too much for Texans & if so I would look for them to find replacement in 3rd rd. I've been kinda locked on Villanova senior LT/OG Ben Ijalana who can also swing inside giving him more versatiltiy.

steelbtexan
12-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Texans seem locked in a "comfort range" #15-#20. I like Paea & DT is always a huge need. Shaun Cody is going to be a free agent in 2011 do you resign him or draft somebody in the 1st/2nd rd. to replace him?

Texans would be lucky to get Beal in 2nd. He directly measures up with injured Connor Barwin. Both could also fit in a 3-4 as OLB's.

Linnenkohl is a bit of a reach this early. Your right, Texans need to look @ Center position for the future so I would have no problem selecting him in the 6th (last year took a shot with OG Shelly Smith who does have a future with this team). The big question I think the Texans face is will they resign Rashad Butler? He played well during Duane Browns suspension, think he made himself some money, will it be too much for Texans & if so I would look for them to find replacement in 3rd rd. I've been kinda locked on Villanova senior LT/OG Ben Ijalana who can also swing inside giving him more versatiltiy.

I like this mock a little.

But improving the S position is a must. IMHO

There should be a good one available in rds 3/4. Carter or Barron should be available in rd 3 and Hill/Black should be available in rd 4. They would be great value picks at this spot in the draft. As well as filling a glaring need. IMHO

Getting a pass rusher a is also a must and should be addressd in rds 1/2. IMHO Beal is a good player. But If I were picking Kerrigan or Herzlich would be my choice for playmaking OLB/DE in a 3/4 defense.

There are going to be some good NT'available in rds 4/5 this yr. Taylor from Baylor and my sleeper NT pick Dexter Larimore are real solid players. IMHO

Wolf6151
12-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Latest update from Walter. They've got us drafting #11 and are taking the following players.

1. Stephen Paea-DT Oregon St.
2. Bruce Carter-OLB UNC
3. Sam Acho-DE UTexas

I really like the first 2 picks both are excellent and would fill huge holes on defense but I dislike the 3rd pick. I don't see Acho ever being anything more than a backup/rotational DE and we've got plenty of bench warmers.

nero THE zero
12-23-2010, 01:56 PM
10 Houston Texans: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

Stephen Paea is the best player on the board who would help improve Houston's defense. Paea is a 310-pound tackle who has 11 TFL and seven sacks on the year.

Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Marcell Dareus, DT - I imagine that the Texans will be targeting Marcell Dareus. Unfortunately, he went off the board one selection earlier.

2. Ryan Kerrigan, DE - The Texans have no pass rush outside of Mario Williams. They may consider Ryan Kerrigan to be the best player available.

41. Houston Texans: Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
The Texans desperately need to address both safety positions this offseason. Free safety is more dire, as Eugene Wilson and Troy Nolan have both failed there.

72. Houston Texans: Sam Acho, DE, Texas

rmartin65
12-23-2010, 02:11 PM
10 Houston Texans: Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

Stephen Paea is the best player on the board who would help improve Houston's defense. Paea is a 310-pound tackle who has 11 TFL and seven sacks on the year.

Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Marcell Dareus, DT - I imagine that the Texans will be targeting Marcell Dareus. Unfortunately, he went off the board one selection earlier.

2. Ryan Kerrigan, DE - The Texans have no pass rush outside of Mario Williams. They may consider Ryan Kerrigan to be the best player available.

41. Houston Texans: Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
The Texans desperately need to address both safety positions this offseason. Free safety is more dire, as Eugene Wilson and Troy Nolan have both failed there.

72. Houston Texans: Sam Acho, DE, Texas

I would be happy with this draft. My top 3 guys in round one are Paea, Kerrigan and Bailey, in no particular order.

I love Williams in the 2nd. I happen to think he is a first round talent, but he is dropping because of his suspension, and the fact that he played poorly upon his return.

Not wild about Acho, but meh, like goes on.

Texan4Ever
12-23-2010, 03:00 PM
I would be happy with this draft. My top 3 guys in round one are Paea, Kerrigan and Bailey, in no particular order.

I love Williams in the 2nd. I happen to think he is a first round talent, but he is dropping because of his suspension, and the fact that he played poorly upon his return.

Not wild about Acho, but meh, like goes on.

I would be okay with Kerrigan but I'm not sure about Bailey, he's another Antonio Smith IMO. I've heard good things about Paea but have't watched him play as much this year.

I would also like for the Texans to try and get Alex Wujucak (wrong spelling) from Maryland to play either the MLB as a backup or OLB as a starter, he's a solid tackkler and a good player overall.

rmartin65
12-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I would be okay with Kerrigan but I'm not sure about Bailey, he's another Antonio Smith IMO. I've heard good things about Paea but have't watched him play as much this year.

I would also like for the Texans to try and get Alex Wujucak (wrong spelling) from Maryland to play either the MLB as a backup or OLB as a starter, he's a solid tackkler and a good player overall.

I understand your concerns, as I have them as well. However, he is worth the risk, depending on draft slot of course. He is a physical freak, at 6'4" 280 lbs (8% body fat), able to vertical 38", run the 40 in 4.68 and bench over 400 lbs. His play his first couple years was very suspect, but this past year he really turned it on, with 7 sacks and 14 TFL. He is only going to get better.

I like Wujciak as well, but strictly as a MLB. I dont see him being any better than Diles at WLB. I would take him in the 5th or so.

Texan4Ever
12-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I understand your concerns, as I have them as well. However, he is worth the risk, depending on draft slot of course. He is a physical freak, at 6'4" 280 lbs (8% body fat), able to vertical 38", run the 40 in 4.68 and bench over 400 lbs. His play his first couple years was very suspect, but this past year he really turned it on, with 7 sacks and 14 TFL. He is only going to get better.

I like Wujciak as well, but strictly as a MLB. I dont see him being any better than Diles at WLB. I would take him in the 5th or so.

There are players (e.g. James Hall, St. Louis) who are big but are still able to record sacks and pressure QBs. If Bailey does well in the combines and is open to playing in a 4-3 scheme (which he should be), then I would be excitied to see what he can bring to the table.

Having Bailey who has previous experience playing both DE and DT switch on and off with Antonio Smith on the inside and outside (playing DT on passing situations for example) would add another dimension to our defense.

Something like this perhaps:

Mario Williams, Allen Bailey, DT, Antonio Smith (with Smith switching with bailey every now and then)

Don't know how effective this would be but it would utiliaze Bailey's ability to play DT.

Doppelganger
12-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Here is my cherry pick.

if we stay 4-3

1. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami. Paea is a good player, but Harris has the potential to be a lights out CB.

2. Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma. Not high on Deunta Williams. Top FS in a weak FS class doesn't do it for me. Get me another pass rusher opposite Mario instead.

3.Sione Fua, DT, Stanford. A big NT type of DT who could play well in a 4-3 or 3-4. Would compliment our smaller penetrating DTs.

If we go 3-4

1. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami. Paea is a good player, but does not fit into a 3-4. Harris has the potential to be a lights out CB.

2. Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss. Gotta have a good NT and he would be a very sold one. See my above comment about Deunta Williams.

3. Casey Matthews, ILB, Oregon. Good NFL bloodlines and knows how to compete. You keep Cush as 3-4 OLB, have Meco and Matthews at the ILB spots, and let Barwin et al compete at the other 3-4OLB spot.

beerlover
12-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Here is my cherry pick.

if we stay 4-3

1. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami. Paea is a good player, but Harris has the potential to be a lights out CB.

2. Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma. Not high on Deunta Williams. Top FS in a weak FS class doesn't do it for me. Get me another pass rusher opposite Mario instead.

3.Sione Fua, DT, Stanford. A big NT type of DT who could play well in a 4-3 or 3-4. Would compliment our smaller penetrating DTs.

If we go 3-4

1. Brandon Harris, CB, Miami. Paea is a good player, but does not fit into a 3-4. Harris has the potential to be a lights out CB.

2. Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss. Gotta have a good NT and he would be a very sold one. See my above comment about Deunta Williams.

3. Casey Matthews, ILB, Oregon. Good NFL bloodlines and knows how to compete. You keep Cush as 3-4 OLB, have Meco and Matthews at the ILB spots, and let Barwin et al compete at the other 3-4OLB spot.

hope we stay 4-3 :)

kiwitexansfan
12-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Every year the fans cry out for a big beefy DT, every year the cry goes unanswered.

Maybe the new DC will bring a scheme requiring a space eater, you never know, big fatty fans.

Unless Kubiak really likes the small penetrating type, then you'll all have to pine some more.