PDA

View Full Version : Running Back Depth Setting Up Nicely in Houston

Wolf
07-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Training Camp is 21 days away, and the Houston Texans primary two news sites have shed light on the Texans’ running back depth: (1) Arian Foster; (2) Steve Slaton; (3) Ben Tate.

The Houston Chronicle’s Richard Justice reported this week that Arian Foster has “made a believer of coaches that were once skeptical he could help.” Justice’s report is no surprise after Foster’s impressive two-game finale to 2009 and a load of reports announcing Foster’s number one on the Texans running back depthchart.

N.D. Kalu, without hesitation, told that Drew Dougherty of HoustonTexans.com that out of the nine rookies drafted, Ben Tate is the most intriguing heading into 2010:

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/07/09/running-back-depth-setting-up-nicely-in-houston/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NFLGridironGab+%28NFL+GridIro n+Gab%29

Texan4Ever
07-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Its going to be interesting to see who gets the starting job ar running back this upcoming season. I hope Steve Slaton can go back to his old form and perform as he did during his rookie season with Tate sharing the load and Foster as our 3rd-down and goaline back.

OzzO
07-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Starter or possibly gonna be RBBC. Possibly Foster / Tate splitting and Slaton doing 3rd down back as I think he was originally brought in for?

awtysst
07-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I would prefer if we had a three headed monster running attack, ala the New York Giants with Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, and Reuban Droughns. That group got 1886 yards on the ground. Jacobs was the main guy and got 1009, Ward was the second at 602, and Droughns was the goal line/3rd down guy with 275.

I would like to see Foster/Tate to start alternative series to keep them fresh then bring in Slaton as a third down back/goal line guy.

ATXtexanfan
07-11-2010, 11:58 AM
who cares who starts, production by all three is all that matters. a ground game to protect a lead would be nice

eriadoc
07-11-2010, 11:59 AM
I would love to see Slaton used on slot screens and pitches. Anytime there's a FB on the field, I want to see Foster or Tate behind him. I also wouldn't mind seeing Slaton and Tate/Foster on the field at the same time, with Casey at FB.

Rey
07-11-2010, 11:59 AM
I don't really have a preference as to what roles these guys take at this point. I'd rather just go with the guy who's producing at the moment untill they prove that they excel in certain roles.

If one back is ripping apart a defense, I'd rather just ride the hot hand...It's nice to atleast be talking about that possibility as a Texans fan...

jaayteetx
07-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Ya, I want the Texans to be a fantasy football players nightmare. I want production from all three, don't care who starts, just get it done son!

drs23
07-11-2010, 12:13 PM
I would love to see Slaton used on slot screens and pitches. Anytime there's a FB on the field, I want to see Foster or Tate behind him. I also wouldn't mind seeing Slaton and Tate/Foster on the field at the same time, with Casey at FB.

Agree. With the offensive mind set between GK and OC Rick Dennison and all those weapons I don't see why we won't field an offensive unit that every team we play will have to highly respect. Up the middle or over the top, pick your poison.

CloakNNNdagger
07-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Agree. With the offensive mind set between GK and OC Rick Dennison and all those weapons I don't see why we won't field an offensive unit that every team we play will have to highly respect. Up the middle or over the top, pick your poison.

That's taking for granted that the RB and TE positions are not mysteriously decimated by the time the early part of the season gets on its way, as has happened too often in the past.

eriadoc
07-11-2010, 12:45 PM
That's taking for granted that the RB and TE positions are not mysteriously decimated by the time the early part of the season gets on its way, as has happened too often in the past.

Shh! Jinx!

Booo! Hiss!

drs23
07-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Shh! Jinx!

Booo! Hiss!

Yeah, what he said :texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
07-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Shh! Jinx!

Booo! Hiss!

Yeah, what he said :texflag:

Yeh, what they both said.:pirate:

Maddict5
07-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I would prefer if we had a three headed monster running attack, ala the New York Giants with Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, and Reuban Droughns. That group got 1886 yards on the ground. Jacobs was the main guy and got 1009, Ward was the second at 602, and Droughns was the goal line/3rd down guy with 275.

I would like to see Foster/Tate to start alternative series to keep them fresh then bring in Slaton as a third down back/goal line guy.

havent looked it up but im 99% sure you're mixing up reuben droughns (has he even been in the league lately?) and ahmad bradshaw but ya thats what id be hopin for too. theyd be nice & fresh for the playoffs then :)

gary
07-11-2010, 08:42 PM
It was Bradshaw indeed.

b0ng
07-11-2010, 10:54 PM
havent looked it up but im 99% sure you're mixing up reuben droughns (has he even been in the league lately?) and ahmad bradshaw but ya thats what id be hopin for too. theyd be nice & fresh for the playoffs then :)

Did you know that Reuben Droughns was nicknamed "The Party Starter" while playing for the Browns? I sure didn't.

imatexan
07-12-2010, 01:51 AM
I am surprised that Tate is number 3 on the list, I figured that he would be the number 2 guy one way or another.

I hope Foster does well but for some reason I just do not have that much confidence in him.

CloakNNNdagger
07-12-2010, 05:43 AM
I am surprised that Tate is number 3 on the list, I figured that he would be the number 2 guy one way or another.

I hope Foster does well but for some reason I just do not have that much confidence in him.

How much value can one possibly legitamately put into depth charts created pre-training camp? Unless "someone" is hell-bent to force the round pegs into square holes (which we have seen too often in past years), they should mean much of nothing.

El Tejano
07-12-2010, 11:42 AM

Before this past season started, Steve Slaton himself said that he couldn't wait to see what Foster could do in a game because what he would see of him in practice.

Thorn
07-12-2010, 12:13 PM
As long as the Texans are a legitimate threat to run the ball at any time, the play action pass will work even better than it did last year without a running game.

And as others said, who cares who starts as long as it's working.

drs23
07-12-2010, 12:57 PM
As long as the Texans are a legitimate threat to run the ball at any time, the play action pass will work even better than it did last year without a running game.

And as others said, who cares who starts as long as it's working.

That's the way I feel as well. And if they don't like it they can...oh, wait a minute, that's you're line :lol:

threetoedpete
07-12-2010, 06:12 PM

I posted earlier that Foster is the current rabbit that the other dogs would be chasing. Until he screws up. And he will screw up. The the next dog in line gets his shot at the #1 RB's load. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if Tate gets the short yardage GL back role out of camp. The question mark is Slaton. Kubes, he loves his explosive plays. Hard to believe he's going to leave Slaton twisting in the wind as the third down back..only. What I'm guessing is he is going to gash the other D with Foster and Tate and then unleash Slaton's speed and quickness when their, the defense's, tongues are on the licking the turf at the end of both halves. Everybody will have a roll. We're rolling up "w's" and everyone is producing good stats , what does it really matter what the label is ? what is for certain is Kubiak will set up the competition and then throw the dogs in the pit to see who survives. And before the season is over every one will get their time in the infamous Kubiak dog house.

TimeKiller
07-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Well, you have to believe that between the 3 guys 1 of them will be having a good game. Get each of them a couple touches early and find the hot hand, start leaning on them for that game. Whether it's who is just feeling fresh/healthy, who is reading the D better, which skill set is particularly effective against a D or maybe who is showing a little consistency being the man game to game.

Thorn
07-12-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm sure yall realize what a drastic change it is just haveing this conversation. I mean we all used to talking about our debth at WR and TE, but RB now? I guess we should probably wait for the eggs to hatch before counting the chickens, but this sure is fun for a change. :)

JB
07-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Ain't it just?

b0ng
07-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Kubiak will probably ride a player for at least a few games and not 1 game at a time. Hell if the guy isn't fumbling he probably doesn't get pulled for the whole season. I think if we see a whole lot of all 3 runningbacks, that means players were prone to coughing it up. A lot.