PDA

View Full Version : The Texans WILL make the playoffs IF....

m5kwatts
07-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Which one of these factors guarantees us a playoff spot?

Texecutioner
07-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Peydon Manning gets hurt for the season in week one. :)

gary
07-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Sigh. I'm just tierd of all these playoff threads. Less chatter and more action please. No offence to the OP.

gary
07-09-2010, 06:12 PM
To respond to the question I'd say pretty much all of the above.

eriadoc
07-09-2010, 06:14 PM
The Texans beat themselves too often. They'll make the playoffs when they stop doing that. They've had the Colts on the ropes enough times in the past couple years to show that they can play with anyone. They just choke it away in the waning moments of the game.

Goatcheese
07-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Just need a kicker who doesn't piss away wins.

m5kwatts
07-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Sigh. I'm just tierd of all these playoff threads. Less chatter and more action please. No offence to the OP.

If "more action" was possible I'm sure we'd all hop in a time machine to the first week of September but we can't. We hadn't done a poll in a long time here, this was the best I came up with. I'm so sick of the NBA free agency BS and its July what else is there to do lol.

Ranger Tom
07-09-2010, 06:19 PM
It's hard to pick just one of those. I'll have to think about this one.

Hardcore Texan
07-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I can't decide between "runnin backs" or "injuries"

gary
07-09-2010, 06:24 PM
If "more action" was possible I'm sure we'd all hop in a time machine to the first week of September but we can't. We hadn't done a poll in a long time here, this was the best I came up with. I'm so sick of the NBA free agency BS and its July what else is there to do lol.I understand and responded to your qestion in a post above.

Thorn
07-09-2010, 07:23 PM
a lot of those choices are good ones that could help us get to the playoffs. I picked the one with the improved running game. If our passing offense merely stays the same but with an improved running game, we will be a difficult team to beat.

gary
07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Myers being the starting center won't have a huge impact on the Texans making the playoffs or not IMO.

JB
07-09-2010, 08:46 PM
While all of the choices have merit, I went with the running game. If we have a top 15 running game this team will improve dramatically in all phases of the game. Including reducing Kubiak's boneheaded decisions.

m5kwatts
07-09-2010, 09:34 PM
While all of the choices have merit, I went with the running game. If we have a top 15 running game this team will improve dramatically in all phases of the game. Including reducing Kubiak's boneheaded decisions.

Never thought of it like that. Two birds with one stone haha.

JB
07-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Never thought of it like that. Two birds with one stone haha.

Not just two. If our running game is that much improved, our effective passing game will be also because the play action will work that much better. And the defense will improve because they are not on the field as much. And the ST will improve because we are asking for less field goals and more extra points.

El Tejano
07-09-2010, 11:26 PM

I've stated the same before. Everytime I look at our schedule and I see our first game, I get a small vision of that.

thunderkyss
07-10-2010, 12:32 AM
I chose Defense top 10 in forced turnover.

Here's what I was thinking.
Top 15 running game... been there, done that (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1). No play-offs.

Running backs cut out the fumbling... again, Texans RBs fumbling has not always been the norm... still, no play-offs.

Above avg year for our PK... again, been there, done that.

Rey
07-10-2010, 12:36 AM
Top 10 defense in forcing turnovers...Not even close

redwhiteANDblue
07-10-2010, 02:07 AM
Talking about a kicker helping us is just silly. Yes its very important but the running game is the main part. Why did we rely on kris brown for these close game winners? Because our backs couldn't kill the clock! but now we just found our clock murders! SLATE TATE and FOSTERATE! With a top of the league passing game and a decent running game, we could really be a threat in the post season.

brakos82
07-10-2010, 02:28 AM
How about we just win enough god-dang football games?!

ObsiWan
07-10-2010, 02:41 AM
Top 10 defense in forcing turnovers...Not even close

Well, I thought that too when I first saw this poll. Then I looked at last year's #10 team in total turnovers; according to CBS Sports.com stats it was Tampa Bay. They had 29 total turnovers. We had 27.

We weren't that far off.

Get this... Indy had 25 takeaways.

So maybe the poll option should have been "top ten in Net Takeaway/Giveaway Differential". Every playoff team had a positive net in takeaways - giveaways area

...except Arizona. Somehow they made it in with a -7 net. :thinking:

thunderkyss
07-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Well, I thought that too when I first saw this poll. Then I looked at last year's #10 team in total turnovers; according to CBS Sports.com stats it was Tampa Bay. They had 29 total turnovers. We had 27.

:thinking:

Wow... I never would have guessed.

brakos82
07-10-2010, 10:18 AM

It's called playing in a division with SF, Seattle, and the Rams. I bet HWWDNSO could win that division. :thinking:

False Start
07-10-2010, 10:30 AM
The poll has so many things that we need to improve on, but I went with getting our run game back.

Goatcheese
07-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Talking about a kicker helping us is just silly. Yes its very important but the running game is the main part. Why did we rely on kris brown for these close game winners? Because our backs couldn't kill the clock! but now we just found our clock murders! SLATE TATE and FOSTERATE! With a top of the league passing game and a decent running game, we could really be a threat in the post season.

How is it "silly" to say that if KB doesn't miss 2 kicks in 2 games where we lost by 3 that we're a playoff team? 10 wins would have put us in and that would have given us 11.

"Silly" pft. :gun:

m5kwatts
07-10-2010, 10:53 AM

We weren't that far off.

So maybe the poll option should have been "top ten in Net Takeaway/Giveaway Differential". Every playoff team had a positive net in takeaways - giveaways area

Tampa Bay had one of the worst offenses in the league they did nothing with those extra possessions they were being given. I think we can all agree that if this Texans offense was given those extra possessions that a top 10 defense in forcing turnovers provides we'd have scored a ton of more points and won more games.

redwhiteANDblue
07-10-2010, 11:12 AM
How is it "silly" to say that if KB doesn't miss 2 kicks in 2 games where we lost by 3 that we're a playoff team? 10 wins would have put us in and that would have given us 11.

"Silly" pft. :gun:

Silly, yes.

We would never had have to kick those FGs if we could maintain possession of the ball. Also in cardinals and jags game. We needed a RB to push it in but NOPE. Couldn't do it. We would have easily made it to the playoffs with a running game not a kicker.

Texan4Ever
07-10-2010, 11:49 AM
If you ask me, the Texans have to do three things in order to make it to the playoffs and beyond. Run the ball effectively, continue to capitalize on our passing game, and play lights out defense and force turnovers.

Its widely know throughout the league that in order to be successful in this league you have to play defense. The past few Super Bowl teams had stellar defenses that exploited opposing offenses woes and were able to keep the pressure off of the offense.

We also have to stop making mental mistakes and get the entire unit involved. From Andre Johnson to James Casey, every player on offense has to be a threat that the opposing defense has to account for, that way Matt Schaub can pass the ball around without having to rely on one or two particular targets over and over again.

thunderkyss
07-10-2010, 01:09 PM
We also have to stop making mental mistakes and get the entire unit involved. From Andre Johnson to James Casey, every player on offense has to be a threat that the opposing defense has to account for, that way Matt Schaub can pass the ball around without having to rely on one or two particular targets over and over again.

I agree with this statement whole-heartedly. Even with our glaring problems elsewhere (honestly, what team doesn't have issues) we would have made the play-offs, had we not farted our way to key losses. Contrary to what some people may believe, I do put a huge slice of that pie on Kubiak's shoulders, but I also blame the bone-headed players who choked when we needed them the most.

However, I do believe if we go into 2010 with the starters who finished 2009 as starters (not saying that we would, or that we should) I believe it will be the first time in Kubiak's tenure, that he'll have a core group of guys who have played together more than two years, and the majority of the team was here to experience the little bit of success we achieved last year.

I think that is huge, and it doesn't really show up on paper.

infantrycak
07-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Its widely know throughout the league that in order to be successful in this league you have to play defense. The past few Super Bowl teams had stellar defenses that exploited opposing offenses woes and were able to keep the pressure off of the offense.

The Saints did not have anything close to a stellar defense. It was good enough to get away with given their stellar offense. But generally sure it is good to have a good D.

JB
07-10-2010, 03:54 PM
The Saints did not have anything close to a stellar defense. It was good enough to get away with given their stellar offense. But generally sure it is good to have a good D.

And Indy had a far from stellar defense. Like you said, if you have a stellar offense, a good defense will suffice. The year before neither Pittsburgh or Arizona had a "stellar" defense.

Rey
07-10-2010, 04:02 PM

We weren't that far off.

I was going with the assumption that our offense remains relatively as productive...If that happens then I think a top ten defense in turnovers easily gets it done...

If you think about if we had two more turnovers last year (which would have tied us with Tampa, @ #10), we probably would have won one more game....That gets us in...

Move us up to eight and or seven and that may have given us two+ more wins...

Norg
07-10-2010, 05:16 PM
The afc sout tottaly crumbles wouldn't that be somehing if we get into the plaoffs with a 8-8 record lol

b0ng
07-10-2010, 07:38 PM
And Indy had a far from stellar defense. Like you said, if you have a stellar offense, a good defense will suffice. The year before neither Pittsburgh or Arizona had a "stellar" defense.

Uh, Pittsburgh had the #1 defense in terms of points allowed that season, and that defense beat the crap out of a lot of teams.

Reference (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/opp.htm).

JB
07-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Uh, Pittsburgh had the #1 defense in terms of points allowed that season, and that defense beat the crap out of a lot of teams.

I did not know that, or did not remember. They just did not seem to me to dominate the way the past Steeler and Ravens defenses did.

b0ng
07-10-2010, 07:47 PM
I did not know that, or did not remember. They just did not seem to me to dominate the way the past Steeler and Ravens defenses did.

Do you remember playing them in week 1 and the absolute butt raping we took? I can understand if that game was blocked from your memory, but that was apart of the Hurricane Ike oh crap we're 0-4 start to 2008.

James Harrison won DPOY that year as well.

JB
07-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Do you remember playing them in week 1 and the absolute butt raping we took? I can understand if that game was blocked from your memory, but that was apart of the Hurricane Ike oh crap we're 0-4 start to 2008.

James Harrison won DPOY that year as well.

I remember that, though I refuse to remember the ass whooping we took at their hands. I just don't remember that defense scaring me the way the Steel Curtain used too, or the Ravens of their SB yr did.

But then again, I'm gettin' old and am drunk most of the time.

BullNation4Life
07-12-2010, 12:15 PM
I chose option I - win more games than the Colts, Titans and Jags....

I think my option is more believable....

drs23
07-12-2010, 12:32 PM
I chose option I - win more games than the Colts, Titans and Jags....

I think my option is more believable....

I agree. Starting with game #1. Echoing GK, we need to start fast!

Texan4Ever
07-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Scoring more points than the opponent will certainly guarantee us points in the win column :fingergun:

axman40
07-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Beat the Colts twice,beat the Titans twice, and beat the Jags twice and then I can see the Texans maybe in the playoffs.
:texflag:

awtysst
07-12-2010, 12:57 PM
The Texans are guranteed to make the palyoffs if we win 16 games in the regular season. That should be our goal. Win EVERY game we play.

rush2112mn
07-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Start out the season with wins instead of losses...and win games in the afc south.....

spurstexanstros
07-14-2010, 06:34 PM

post of the century...I am so tired of substitute Jesus Manning. he needs to go away.

CharloTex
07-14-2010, 07:10 PM
I voted for Kubiak, and his team of coaches and booth boys, to manage the game/clock/red flag better. We can probably blame Chris Brown, and Kris Brown for about 4 losses last year, but the reality is it was pis-poor in-game decisions by Kubes that put both of those players (and others) in EXCELLENT position to lose the game for us. Better coaching, BETTER COACHes, get 2 of those losses back as wins, which puts us in the playoffs. NUFF SAID!!

I like Kubes, but if I could vote for anything to have been improved, even more than our running game, it would be that our coaching staff can manage the game so long as the players have the performance capability.

Goldensilence
07-15-2010, 01:01 AM
I voted for Kubiak, and his team of coaches and booth boys, to manage the game/clock/red flag better. We can probably blame Chris Brown, and Kris Brown for about 4 losses last year, but the reality is it was pis-poor in-game decisions by Kubes that put both of those players (and others) in EXCELLENT position to lose the game for us. Better coaching, BETTER COACHes, get 2 of those losses back as wins, which puts us in the playoffs. NUFF SAID!!

I like Kubes, but if I could vote for anything to have been improved, even more than our running game, it would be that our coaching staff can manage the game so long as the players have the performance capability.

I voted Gary managing games better too, but it goes beyond that. It's also about making good roster decisions. Keeping Brown around ended up biting him in the rear end and it took him too long to go ahead and see what they had in Foster.

I also thought he made a bad call in suspending Jones for the second Jax game for something pretty small.

This year even though the Texans have a killer schedule they have a really talented roster even before TC starts. Really Gary "It's on me" Kubiak has to live up to his own words instead of tapping a podium handing out one liners.

SteveSlaton20
07-15-2010, 03:51 AM
Just need a kicker who doesn't piss away wins.

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think we had a game where we could have won with a field goal at the last second, but to tie, yes.

Trail.Blazr
07-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Really Gary "It's on me" Kubiak has to live up to his own words instead of tapping a podium handing out one liners.

I'm also a GK voter on this poll...

Despite all options on the poll being legitimately tied to success, GK stands out the most to me. I'm no player, just a fan, but something tells me it's harder for players to get past a clear, bone headed, mental mistake by the coach than it is to forgive a fellow player for a bad performance/play. Without citing specific examples, I don't feel like I'm going out on a limb to say that Kube's game management, be it clock/play calling/challenge, whatever you want, has easily cost the Texans two games each season.

When the difference between a 9-7 vs 11-5 or 8-8's vs 10-6's are a result of your coach... Unforgivable.

Players make mistakes. That's an acceptable, yet painful reality. But a coach doesn't play. His role is to be on the sideline and manage the team effectively to give them the best opportunity possible to excel.

I'm no coach either, but I don't know how many times I've been watching a game live, yelling at Kube's to do something or not do something, only to have it fall on deaf ears and him do the worst thing possible. Probably close to the number of times I've looked and asked God "why" moments later...

infantrycak
07-15-2010, 09:11 AM
I don't disagree with you, but I don't think we had a game where we could have won with a field goal at the last second, but to tie, yes.

The first Indy game was a to tie miss. The next week against TN there was also a to tie miss but he had missed earlier in the game as well so it should have been to win.