PDA

View Full Version : AJ:Texans not very accomodating when it comes to open

Wolf
07-01-2010, 07:57 PM
When the Texans built their new practice facilities across the street from Reliant Stadium, one of the selling points was that it would make it easier for the team to connect with it's fans.

Our old team held training camp in places like San Marcos, San Antonio and San Angelo before we went Sans-a-team, so it made it difficult to connect with the team outside of Sundays during the season.

But despite the convenient practice digs, the Texans remain below par compared to the rest of the league when it comes to training camp practices open to the public.

In 2009 the Texans had only five open sessions and this year there will be only six sessions open to the public according to a tweet on the Texans official Twitter account at 5:42 PM Jun 8th .

Since there are so few practices open to the public, tickets 'sell out' quickly (tickets are free but you need one to get in).

Texans fans are a crazy and passionate lot and by the time late July rolls around, they are so ready for football, they are crawling all over each other for those tickets. As you would expect, the sessions are always jam-packed and beyond standing room only. Texans open camp sessions typically span one week so tough luck if that's your week for vacation or you have a work conflict.

Texans have fan events such as All Access, team breakfasts, bowling events, etc, during the offseason and they are great (and not all free) but how do the Texans compare with other NFL teams in terms of openness, fan access and accommodations when it comes to training camp? Pretty awful, really.

Here's a sample of other NFL teams and their number of training camp practices open to the public.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m6d30-Texans-not-very-accomodating-when-it-comes-to-open-training-camp-sessions?cid=exrss-Houston-Texans-Examiner

Hardcore Texan
07-01-2010, 08:27 PM
If it is less distracting for the team to have fewer open practices then I am all for it. Whatever gives us the best chance to win.

gary
07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't mind less open practices but if there were more of them just to watch the team and then have the players appear at places through out the area to meet and greet fans and sign for them JMO.

Joe Texan
07-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Screw Practice lets play a game

steelbtexan
07-01-2010, 09:11 PM
These closed practices have contributed to how many playoff victories?

Carr Bombed
07-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Screw Practice lets play a game

I feel the same way...

I've been very edgy this offseason (incase some of y'all haven't noticed).

Usually a decent Stros team would hold me over and give me my fix and even when they have sucked, atleast I was able to watch a playoff Rockets team, but this year has been very tough.

The end of last season really left a bad taste in my mouth and kind of pissed me off. 9-7 was never the goal and it really rubbed me the wrong way in how the team celebrated being "9-7", like it was some kind of playoff berth or their original goal. Honestly it made us look like some kind of bush league team and I had flashbacks of the famous "David Carr pledge press conference" where he promised to not cut his hair until the team won back to back games.

If this team doesn't do something this year, I might kill somebody. I don't give a crap if they don't have any open practices....just win. For Christ's sake, for the first time in y'all's history...just win and get past all this (For the first time in the franchise's history, did we turn the corner?, I think we turned the corner?, oops I guess we didn't turn the corner", WAIT! now I know we turned the corner, and just when I thought we turned the corner we lose to that team) bullcrap. Hopefully this is the year where we become a legit NFL team, that won't celebrate or settle for mediocrity when initial goals were set MUCH higher.

JB
07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
I feel the same way...

Usually a decent Stros team would hold me over and give me my fix and even when they have sucked, atleast I was able to watch a playoff Rockets team, but this year has been very tough.

The end of last season really left a bad taste in my mouth and kind of pissed me off. 9-7 was never the goal and it really rubbed me the wrong way in how the team celebrated being "9-7", like it was some kind of playoff birth or their original goal. Honestly it made us look like some kind of bush league team and I had flashbacks of the famous "David Carr pledge press conference" in he promised to not cut his hair until the team won back to back games.

If this team doesn't do something this year, I might kill somebody. I don't give a crap if they don't have any open practices....just win. For Christ's sake, for the first time in y'all's history...just win and get past of all this (first for the franchise, did we turn the corner?, I think we turned the corner?, oops I guess we didn't turn the corner", wait now I know we turned the corner, and just when I thought we turned the corner we lose to that team) bullcrap.

Nice post! I feel your pain also! time to put up or shut up!

CloakNNNdagger
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Kubiak has said that he and his staff will be expecting much more from his players this year. I guess he wants to be able to use unorthodox methods to prod them in the right direction............without outside interference by the league.:foottap:

http://www.jewishmag.com/132mag/passover_slave/title.gif

Speedy
07-01-2010, 09:59 PM
"We're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about practice. . . . . . .I know it's important, I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice?"

CloakNNNdagger
07-02-2010, 07:20 AM
"We're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? We're talking about practice. . . . . . .I know it's important, I honestly do. But we're talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice?"
Thought you were going a little nutso on us until I recognized.........

We're talking about PRACTICE (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=we're%20talking%20about%20practice )

But we're talking about practice mugs, tshirts and magnets

1.) A discussion focused on trivial matters, not related to the big picture

2.) A meaningless exchange

3.) A downplay of a criticism of oneself

"It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that? ... Now I know that I'm supposed to lead by example and all that but I'm not shoving that aside like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I honestly do but we're talking about practice. We're talking about practice man. We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We're not talking about the game. We're talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you've seen me play right, you've seen me give everything I've got, but we're talking about practice right now. ... Hey I hear you, it's funny to me too, hey it's strange to me too but we're talking about practice man, we're not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, we're talking about practice ... How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?"

Allen Iverson at a press conference on May 8, 2002

El Tejano
07-02-2010, 07:51 AM
I miss those days with The Oilers. I remember being able to go up to any player I wanted to and get their autograph because hardly anybody was ever at those practices in San Marcos and San Antonio. I actually shook hands of Ray Childress, Bruce Matthews, Warren Moon, Ernest Givins, Drew Hill etc....

Sure having practice facilities at home really helps the city of Houston get closer to the team but I feel like the Oilers made a real good effort to try and connect with ALL of Texas. Having practices in San Antonio and San Marcos really helped that.

One time The Oilers had Jeff Alm and Al Smith come to Austin. I took two of Al Smith's rookie cards to sign. When he told me he didn't even know he had a card, I let him keep one of the cards. Well next thing you know, he's asking me to sit next to him for the duration of the signing and then later that week when I went to camp he remembered me and my name and he even got me a pass to go on the field so I could get more autographs.

I think only my wife's happy that they practice in Houston.

nero THE zero
07-02-2010, 08:05 AM
These closed practices have contributed to how many playoff victories?

You mean to tell me we've been suffering for all (8 of) these years and the only thing we needed was more open practices!? Quick, someone alert McNair and give this guy a high paying job.

Lucky
07-02-2010, 08:32 AM
If it is less distracting for the team to have fewer open practices then I am all for it. Whatever gives us the best chance to win.
The Saints will have 22 open practices. The Colts will open up 24. Will that keep these teams from winning?

Kubiak's been on record as disliking open practices. We're lucky to get 6. Luckier if none are rained out, as there will be no makeup dates. The year the Cowboys won the 1st Super Bowl under Jimmy Johnson, 1992, they held camp at St. Edwards University in Austin. I could walk my dog from my house about a half mile away, stand next to the fence, and watch Aikman, Irvin, and Smith do their thing. I guess if they didn't have the distraction of having every practice open that summer, Dallas would have gone undefeated?

CloakNNNdagger
07-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I wonder how much limitation of media presence is behind Kubiak's "paranoia?"

NitroGSXR
07-02-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm actually glad it's only 6 practices. I can't control myself. If they all were open, I'd bankrupt my famly.

:fans:

Texan_Bill
07-02-2010, 09:11 AM

Nope... It's because Bob McNair is too cheap and trying to maximize his profits! :peek:

HJam72
07-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm actually glad it's only 6 practices. I can't control myself. If they all were open, I'd bankrupt my famly.

:fans:

See, there's Kubiak's whole reasoning. Gotta watch out for guys like Nitro.

TheRealJoker
07-02-2010, 09:13 AM
I got to watch the Super Bowl champions practice twice last season... unfortunately they were practicing against us before we spent another year watching the playoffs :(

ChampionTexan
07-02-2010, 10:37 AM

I think it's the other way around (That is to say, you just wondered ifof Kubiak's paranoia is caused by limiting the media).

Although I guess you could be right:

McNair: Gary - we're limiting the public exposure of our practices this pre-season.

Kubiak: Why - are you ashamed to have me demonstrate my coaching skills in front of people?

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2010, 11:19 AM

Thought you were going a little nutso on us until I recognized.........

Here ya go CND, in case you haven't seen this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exOxUAntx8I&feature=PlayList&p=CDB9571794CEF489&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=6

The Saints will have 22 open practices. The Colts will open up 24. Will that keep these teams from winning?

Kubiak's been on record as disliking open practices. We're lucky to get 6. Luckier if none are rained out, as there will be no makeup dates. The year the Cowboys won the 1st Super Bowl under Jimmy Johnson, 1992, they held camp at St. Edwards University in Austin. I could walk my dog from my house about a half mile away, stand next to the fence, and watch Aikman, Irvin, and Smith do their thing. I guess if they didn't have the distraction of having every practice open that summer, Dallas would have gone undefeated?

Ask rhertorical questions much? Much too much. Fancy stats though and cool story bro. When you know my point was the same as others after, which was "who cares, just win". Whether that would be less distractions (I mentioned that as a possiblity) or to coach getting his way because he doesn't like them. Whatever contributes in any fraction of a way towards a W, MAN!

But sure quote me and try to make me look like a dumbass. Whatever blows your skirt up.

P.S. there are about a dozen threads in NSZ that could use some merging, when your done spending time belittling my comment.

HOU-TEX
07-02-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't even bother going to the night practices any more. For one, they're ridiculously crowded. Two, they wear ball caps and run deep routes for the fans to ooo and ah over. I want to see blood, sweat and tears flying from the big nasties as they attempt to whip the crap out of each other. Sure, watching 11 on 11's is cool, but nothing beats watching the nasties do work.

NitroGSXR
07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Here ya go CND, in case you haven't seen this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exOxUAntx8I&feature=PlayList&p=CDB9571794CEF489&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=6

Ask rhertorical questions much? Much too much. Fancy stats though and cool story bro. When you know my point was the same as others after, which was "who cares, just win". Whether that would be less distractions (I mentioned that as a possiblity) or to coach getting his way because he doesn't like them. Whatever contributes in any fraction of a way towards a W, MAN!

But sure quote me and try to make me look like a dumbass. Whatever blows your skirt up.

P.S. there are about a dozen threads in NSZ that could use some merging, when your done spending time belittling my comment.

*applause*

Must spread...

Yankee_In_TX
07-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Justa correction, the rookie breakfast was replaced by the bowling event :bender:

TimeKiller
07-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Just open up reliant stadium. No tickets, free to get in for I guess the first 70,000+ fans or less that decide it would be fun to sit around in the stadium watching the team practice for a couple hours. Open up concession stands/souvenir booths and see how much extra cash you can make in the offseason off them for just letting people come see relatively meaningless stuff.

Lucky
07-02-2010, 08:10 PM
But sure quote me and try to make me look like a dumbass.

I just state the facts. Readers can draw their own conclusions.

"Who cares" about the open practices? I do. Along with the thousands who attend every year. You don't, and that's cool. Why belittle our interest in these practices? And that's not rhetorical. I'd really like to know.

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I just state the facts. Readers can draw their own conclusions.

"Who cares" about the open practices? I do. Along with the thousands who attend every year. You don't, and that's cool. Why belittle our interest in these practices? And that's not rhetorical. I'd really like to know.

I am not belittling anyone's interst in going to practice, that's a BIG stretch, hell I'd like to go to one myself, it seems like a great fan experience from where I am sitting. But first and foremost, I want this team to have the best chance to win.....whatever that may be.

If there's an open practice you can go to, by all means go. I would go if I could make it to one but it's not up to me how many there are and it seems like something pretty unimportant to me to compare what other teams allow or don't allow. I could care less about other teams. It's up to OUR coach, players buy into what their coach is selling when it's working, and I want my team to win.

Lucky
07-02-2010, 08:34 PM
But first and foremost, I want this team to have the best chance to win.....
And how are open practices a determent to winning? It's like saying, "I'm all for the players wearing pink cleats. If it gives the team its best chance to win."

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2010, 08:39 PM
And how are open practices a determent to winning? It's like saying, "I'm all for the players wearing pink cleats. If it gives the team its best chance to win."

Why are you asking this question? Did I not state that perhaps it's a distraction, i.e. the coach doesn't like them (as you already stated). I was speculating as to the cause of lack of open practices. Yes, I admit, it was a guess, never really said otherwise.

Let me make it clear, it's deadhorse time. I COULD CARE LESS IF THEY HAVE 1 OPEN PRACTICE ALL PRESEASON, OR ALL OF THEM OPEN!!!!

I just want them to win on Sunday.

Lucky
07-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I COULD CARE LESS IF THEY HAVE 1 OPEN PRACTICE ALL PRESEASON, OR ALL OF THEM OPEN!!!!

Thanks for joining the discussion regarding the open practices you couldn't care less about.

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Meh, it's the offseason, I'm glad to oblige :tiphat:

barrett
07-02-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't even bother going to the night practices any more. For one, they're ridiculously crowded. Two, they wear ball caps and run deep routes for the fans to ooo and ah over. I want to see blood, sweat and tears flying from the big nasties as they attempt to whip the crap out of each other. Sure, watching 11 on 11's is cool, but nothing beats watching the nasties do work.

How do we know which ones are the night practices? We don't yet do we? I feel the same way. I'd hate to drive all the way down there for that sh!t.

For the record, I LOVE BREASTS. BIG fan. But I am absolutely NOT "all for the players wearing pink cleats".

houstonspartan
07-03-2010, 06:51 PM
I feel the same way...

The end of last season really left a bad taste in my mouth and kind of pissed me off. 9-7 was never the goal and it really rubbed me the wrong way in how the team celebrated being "9-7", like it was some kind of playoff berth or their original goal. Honestly it made us look like some kind of bush league team and I had flashbacks of the famous "David Carr pledge press conference" where he promised to not cut his hair until the team won back to back games.

If this team doesn't do something this year, I might kill somebody. I don't give a crap if they don't have any open practices....just win. For Christ's sake, for the first time in y'all's history...just win and get past all this (For the first time in the franchise's history, did we turn the corner?, I think we turned the corner?, oops I guess we didn't turn the corner", WAIT! now I know we turned the corner, and just when I thought we turned the corner we lose to that team) bullcrap. Hopefully this is the year where we become a legit NFL team, that won't celebrate or settle for mediocrity when initial goals were set MUCH higher.

Co-sign. I'm about to send Bob McNair the remaining $650 I owe him for my season tickets. I'm renewing just under the wire before they start mailing them out.

I was so angry about the end of the season I couldn't think straight. Then, when Kubiak got that extension I nearly did kill somebody.

But, it's all good. That's in the past. We need to move on. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what the stakes are, so I'll cross my fingers and hope Kubiak is on top of things.

TexansBlood
07-03-2010, 07:44 PM
As a season ticket holder I would love for there to be more than 6 open practices:texans:

Kinda sad to see us not even on the list...

barrett
07-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Co-sign. I'm about to send Bob McNair the remaining $650 I owe him for my season tickets. I'm renewing just under the wire before they start mailing them out.

I was so angry about the end of the season I couldn't think straight. Then, when Kubiak got that extension I nearly did kill somebody.

But, it's all good. That's in the past. We need to move on. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what the stakes are, so I'll cross my fingers and hope Kubiak is on top of things.

maybe you should send a request for funds to Indianapolis or Cincinnatti since they stole your playoff birth. You never know you might get a refund. Actually don't bother with Mike Brown. Trust me.

disaacks3
07-04-2010, 04:34 AM
If it is less distracting for the team to have fewer open practices then I am all for it. Whatever gives us the best chance to win. ME too. Exactly HOW would more (or LESS) open practices affect that outcome one way or another?

You mean to tell me we've been suffering for all (8 of) these years and the only thing we needed was more open practices!? Quick, someone alert McNair and give this guy a high paying job. Yep, having so few has proven WILDLY successful, don't you think?

AJ's article makes a valid point - whether you feel it affects the performance on Sunday or not. Is Kubes the ONLY coach in the league who is so bothered by open practices that he can't focus with outsiders watching?

The All Accesss event idea came from Denver....I guess the idea of more open practices didn't follow as well.

CloakNNNdagger
07-04-2010, 08:08 AM
You know, it just could be very advantageous to the Texans to allow the prying eyes of media and other teams into all of the practices. In the past, evidently, many of our practices have ultimately resulted in questionable performances and quite dysfunctional outcomes. Consequently, making "practice film" available could leave opposing teams in an aftermath of complete confusion in their own preparation for our team.:tiphat:

Texans_Chick
07-04-2010, 08:49 AM
ATTENTION TEXAN FANS WHO CARE ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

I think originally, there weren't tons of practices because there weren't that many people interested--there was some pretty weak crowds for some morning practices.

And then Kubiak didn't want open practices.

But make your voice heard. The Texans DO listen to fan feedback. Lots of examples.

I've just tweeted something on this issue. But in addition to tweets, I suggest contacting the Texans fan feedback email (http://bit.ly/aJJE4x). I talk about this more here (http://bit.ly/aJJE4x).

To write an effective email, please do the following that works for a lot of complaint sorts of things:

1. First, state the thing that you would like the Texans to do.
2. Be polite.
3. Be reasonable and give good reasons to support your point. You might even want to link to AJ's article.
4. If you are a season ticket holder, mention that.

If they are truly interested in growing the fanbase, more open training camps would go a long way in helping with that. I particularly like training camp for taking children. I don't like taking them to the games because the kids are more focused on eating popcorn, but training camp is free and they love being that close to the players.

Hardcore Texan
07-04-2010, 10:12 AM
ME too. Exactly HOW would more (or LESS) open practices affect that outcome one way or another?

Yep, having so few has proven WILDLY successful, don't you think?

AJ's article makes a valid point - whether you feel it affects the performance on Sunday or not. Is Kubes the ONLY coach in the league who is so bothered by open practices that he can't focus with outsiders watching?

The All Accesss event idea came from Denver....I guess the idea of more open practices didn't follow as well.

IDK, I was speculating as to why he doesn't like them as I stated. I can't believe one little off the cuff remark by an out of towner, season ticket holder (that would be me) is this pollarizing. Must be the offseason....:runaway:

aj.
07-04-2010, 06:01 PM
The number of practices open to fans in August has diddly squat to do with Sunday performance during the season. That's immaterial...

Open practices is about fan access to team. I know people in different cities that go out to their team's training camps without having to plan in advance. After work it's 'hey dude, wanna go out and check out the X's tonight?" Sure why not.... and they leisurely drive out there and watch because they know it's open for a couple of weeks or more. No stress.

The Texans throwing us these crumbs is almost as bad as not having any open practices. Why go to the trouble? Especially when the people are lined up 12 deep in the end zone and miserable after about 30 minutes - and others try to jam their fat asses into prime bleacher spots 20 minutes after practice starts and then make a scene when someone who's been sitting there in the hot sun for two hours is reluctant to 'move in.'

Having more open sessions eliminates most of that crapola. Gives more people more access - stress free access - and that's what it's supposed to be about - or so I thought.

painekiller
07-04-2010, 11:36 PM
I wonder if Kubiak's dislike of the open practice has to do with his desire to protect his players from the second guessing. When one of his players makes an error in a game Kubiak never calls them out, he always has their back and says it's his fault in public.

Could he be reluctant to "coach" in front of the crowds so his players are not "exposed"?

JB
07-04-2010, 11:46 PM
I wonder if Kubiak's dislike of the open practice has to do with his desire to protect his players from the second guessing. When one of his players makes an error in a game Kubiak never calls them out, he always has their back and says it's his fault in public.

Could he be reluctant to "coach" in front of the crowds so his players are not "exposed"?

How many open practices were there under Capers? Could McNair be behind this?

Or maybe, Kubiak is just trying to limit distractions? How many open practices do the Redskins have this year?

TexansBlood
07-05-2010, 12:09 PM
How many open practices were there under Capers? Could McNair be behind this?

Or maybe, Kubiak is just trying to limit distractions? How many open practices do the Redskins have this year?

Redskins have 15 open practices this yr, almost three times more than the Texans..

HOU-TEX
07-06-2010, 08:56 AM
How do we know which ones are the night practices? We don't yet do we? I feel the same way. I'd hate to drive all the way down there for that sh!t.

There's been only one night practice the past few years and it's been on a Thursday night. There's a Thursday nighter again this year, so I kinda just put 2 and 2 together...

Then there's this....

7/30, 7/31, 8/1, 8/2, 8/5 and 8/7. All are in the morning except for the August 5 practice which is at night.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m6d8-Ben-Tate-catching-up-after-hamstring-injury

Double Barrel
07-06-2010, 01:35 PM
This team is soft if open practices have any impact on winning or losing during the regular season. JMO