PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network will air Canadian Football League games in 2010

CloakNNNdagger
07-01-2010, 06:24 AM
CFL action is quite exciting, certainly moreso than the AFL. With its different field dimensions, player set up and game rules, there seems to be a wider open game with additional twists and turns. I believe that this will be attractive and enjoyable to NFL fans, especially when an NFL game is not ongoing.

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818ea178/article/canadian-football-league-to-debut-on-nfl-network-in-2010)

Giant Tiger
07-01-2010, 08:46 AM
CFL action is quite exciting, certainly moreso than the AFL. With its different field dimensions, player set up and game rules, there seems to be a wider open game with additional twists and turns. I believe that this will be attractive and enjoyable to NFL fans, especially when an NFL game is not ongoing.

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818ea178/article/canadian-football-league-to-debut-on-nfl-network-in-2010)

I like this, you'll get to see some players who may make it to the NFL. BTW, Ottawa has been granted an expansion franchise for the 2013 season. Here's hoping the 3rd time's the charm.

Thorn
07-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Good. I like watching Canadian football. Most especially when there is no other live football on to watch. Arena football just doesn't do it for me.

disaacks3
07-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Good. I like watching Canadian football. Most especially when there is no other live football on to watch. Arena football just doesn't do it for me.
Me neither. It's like guys tossing a football in a gym...too cramped!

Cjeremy635
07-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Any football is better than no football and I'm tired of watching the reruns on NFL Network. I now know what I will be watching tonight! Thanks for the info... :truck:

Cjeremy635
07-01-2010, 02:33 PM
From the article:

TORONTO -- The Canadian Football League and NFL have agreed to a new telecast deal for 2010, it was announced Wednesday. NFL Network will broadcast 14 regular-season CFL games, starting with the season opener Thursday, July 1 at 7 p.m. ET, featuring the Montreal Alouettes and Saskatchewan Roughriders in a rematch of last year's Grey Cup championship game.

I looked ahead on my Directv guide and it doesn't show the game tonight. That blows! :foottap:

Thorn
07-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Comcast channel guide didn't show it's on, but it is. At least I can catch some of it tonight.

edo783
07-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Watching it right now. Early in the season, a tad ragged play, but it is an exciting game with a lot of scoring. Looks a bit like the Arena game in that a guy can be running towards the line at the snap of the ball. Just noticed, make that 2 guys from the looks of it.

Kulluminatii
07-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I happened to catch the end of that game. Was pretty interesting, and I was surprised at the # of people in the stands, didn't know football was that popular in Canada.

Giant Tiger
07-02-2010, 07:29 AM
I happened to catch the end of that game. Was pretty interesting, and I was surprised at the # of people in the stands, didn't know football was that popular in Canada.

Saskatchewan has the best fans; their stadium is always full. Montreal actually had to move to the (smaller) stadium downtown at McGill University because there were too many empty seats at Olympic Stadium. That said, the Montreal fans do fill the stadium downtown (seats 24,000 IIRC). BTW, you'll see empty seats in Toronto, too.

Kulluminatii
07-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Any idea how the BC Lions fare? I have some family in Vancouver, and I'd guess it would be worth it to check out a game if I visit them.

CloakNNNdagger
07-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Any idea how the BC Lions fare? I have some family in Vancouver, and I'd guess it would be worth it to check out a game if I visit them.

You will enjoy the new open air stadium. The old one seated about 30000. The new one this year will seat about 27000 (7000 are bench seats). Last year's attendance was consistently around 27000. It should be packed and exciting.

mattieuk
07-02-2010, 01:52 PM

You will enjoy the new open air stadium. The old one seated about 30000. The new one this year will seat about 27000 (7000 are bench seats). Last year's attendance was consistently around 27000. It should be packed and exciting.

The Lions are a respectable team, had a small venture into the playoffs last year.

As Cloak said...new stadium for this year only at Empire Stadium (the site of where Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile), which to me is a far better stadium for football....grass field, no roof, and a full house every game. I'm definitely going sometime this season.

Giant Tiger
07-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Saskatchewan fans singing Green is the Color in the stadium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bey7TRF_y8&feature=related

BigWig
07-13-2010, 01:37 PM
I checked on line and at home and I can't find any canadian footabll on Direct Tv on the NFL network. I wahoping to catch the games I love CFL and there are lots of former NFL and soon to be NFL players in the league.
Anybody got any more updated info?

toronto
07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
I am ambivalent towards the CFL, but have decided that one thing I must do is attend a Saskatchewan game - been told by colleagues its a terrific experience with great fans that sell out every game.

SheTexan
07-13-2010, 01:46 PM
At least they allow cowbells!!:hurrah:

Giant Tiger
07-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Watching the Edmonton-Saskatchewan game right now. Jared Zabransky has been in for a couple of plays for Edmonton. Saskatchewan got a 54 yard FG, too.

BigWig
07-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Watching the Edmonton-Saskatchewan game right now. Jared Zabransky has been in for a couple of plays for Edmonton. Saskatchewan got a 54 yard FG, too.

What channel and what service do you have?

hot pickle
07-20-2010, 07:53 AM
go bombers!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3RctSIo7vQ

never gonna see this at an nfl game lol

IDEXAN
07-20-2010, 08:19 AM
I was in Vancouver, B.C. last week, and while enjoying some great Sushi
and Chinese food at a restaurant called Azia (downtown on Smithe Street, check it out if you get a chance), looked up and saw a football game on the tube. At first I thought it was a replay of a '09 game, then realized it was live and learned the Canadian season had already started.
I kinda like that larger field, but know the NFL would never adopt it even if it meant more offense (something the league wants more of) because they just don't change anything unless forced to do so.

Thorn
07-20-2010, 10:36 AM
I was in Vancouver, B.C. last week, and while enjoying some great Sushi
and Chinese food at a restaurant called Azia (downtown on Smithe Street, check it out if you get a chance), looked up and saw a football game on the tube. At first I thought it was a replay of a '09 game, then realized it was live and learned the Canadian season had already started.
I kinda like that larger field, but know the NFL would never adopt it even if it meant more offense (something the league wants more of) because they just don't change anything unless forced to do so.

the NFL won't adopt the larger field size because all their big ass expensive stadiums wouldn't hold a CFL size field. I'm sure some would, but not all, and it would be expensive to retrofit NFL stadiums for a CFL size field.

But to your point, I would also like it if they did. Watching football on the larger field is something I very much like about Canadian football.

Giant Tiger
07-20-2010, 08:28 PM
What channel and what service do you have?

The games up here in Canada are not shown on NFL Network due to some programming content regulation; not enough people have NFL Network, so TSN gets the rights to broadcast (I think this only applies to the games on the NFL Network, though). But these regulations only apply in Canada; it shouldn't affect your programming. BTW, TSN also broadcasts the NFL games that are supposed to be shown on NFL Network. We usually get "High School Rivalries" instead of the game.

BigWig
07-21-2010, 08:03 AM
The games up here in Canada are not shown on NFL Network due to some programming content regulation; not enough people have NFL Network, so TSN gets the rights to broadcast (I think this only applies to the games on the NFL Network, though). But these regulations only apply in Canada; it shouldn't affect your programming. BTW, TSN also broadcasts the NFL games that are supposed to be shown on NFL Network. We usually get "High School Rivalries" instead of the game.

Thanks for the info, however I have looked for TSN and can't find it on Direct TV, maybe its one of those extras, although I am paying for the " Sports pack" , I will keep checking, thanks.