PDA

View Full Version : Cunningham, 2 1/2, discovered in hot tub

CloakNNNdagger
06-30-2010, 09:46 AM
When will these sad stories stop?

Son of ex-Rebel drowns (http://www.lvrj.com/sports/son-of-ex-rebel-drowns-97458929.html)

Skip Jourdan, who plays guitar at Remnant Ministries, has missed only three Sundays in three years.

He knew where he had to be Tuesday night.

Jourdan was among 30 to 40 church members who quickly assembled at the church on Windmill Lane as news spread about the death of Randall Cunningham's 2-year-old son. Cunningham, the former UNLV and NFL star quarterback, is pastor of Remnant Ministries.

"This is why you have a church family," Jourdan said. "This is why you belong to something like this. I can't imagine trying to go through something like this and not having a church family. Who are you going to turn to?"

Christian Cunningham, who would have been 3 in December, died after being found floating in the backyard hot tub, according to friends of the family. Randall Cunningham performs baptisms in the hot tub at his home, which is near the church.

A woman at Cunningham's house was with several children when she found the boy at about 4:30 p.m., Las Vegas police Lt. Dennis Flynn said. She removed the boy from the hot tub and began performing CPR. Paramedics took the child to St. Rose Dominican Hospital, Siena campus, where he died, Flynn said.

Abuse and neglect detectives were investigating the incident at the house on the 300 block of East Robindale Road, near Paradise Road. Flynn said the drowning appeared to be an accident.

"We know healing is going to take time," said one church member, who said she goes by the name Miss Happy. "We ask that everyone pray for the family. It hurts. It hurts."

Cunningham was believed to be in San Diego or on his way back at the time of the drowning.

Members of the church congregation gathered that night and shared stories, prayed and cried. They talked about Christian learning to speak, playing football and constantly smiling and having fun.

"He touched the lives of anybody who stood there and watched him," Miss Happy said. "He's one of those little kids like, 'I'll take you home with me.' I can sit here and talk all day about Christian."

Cunningham generally is considered the greatest player in UNLV history. He still holds the record with 8,020 career passing yards.

From there, he put together a 16-year NFL career that included four Pro Bowl selections. Cunningham also is largely credited with making quarterback a more mobile position.

He became an ordained minister in 2004 and opened Remnant Ministries later that year.

He and his wife, Felicity, have three other children: Randall II, Vashti and Grace.

Koolaid Time
06-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Thats why I have a hot tub cover that is secured with a padlock and that is on all the time when I'm not in it.

HouSportsWriter
06-30-2010, 02:50 PM
closed

HOU-TEX
06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Just two threads down

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73037

HouSportsWriter
06-30-2010, 02:58 PM
thanks just found out...

Double Barrel
06-30-2010, 04:03 PM
awe, man...this is just heartbreaking. :(

HoustonFrog
06-30-2010, 04:16 PM
awe, man...this is just heartbreaking. :(

This

Saddens me to no end when young children die. With the 4th coming up, I hope everyone remembers to watch the kids around lakes and pools.

BullNation4Life
06-30-2010, 05:02 PM
As a parent of a 4 and 7 year old, the thought after reading this article sent shivers up and down my spine. Beyond tragic....

WWJD
06-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Just so sad. God bless them.

Ckw
06-30-2010, 07:20 PM
As a brand new parent, just the thought almost brings tears to my eyes. So sad and so rough. I cannot imagine the pain the family must feel.

I have quickly learned that a parent's love is something that simply can't be described. It is different than any kind of love a human being can ever experience. You can't know it or really understand it unless you have experienced it. So sad for the Cunningham family.

JB
06-30-2010, 07:30 PM
As a brand new parent, just the thought almost brings tears to my eyes. So sad and so rough. I cannot imagine the pain the family must feel.

I have quickly learned that a parent's love is something that simply can't be described. It is different than any kind of love a human being can ever experience. You can't know it or really understand it unless you have experienced it. So sad for the Cunningham family.

Welcome to the world of parenting! Where love and fear have a whole new meaning.

ATXtexanfan
06-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the world of parenting! Where love and fear have a whole new meaning.

amen brother

steelbtexan
06-30-2010, 08:20 PM
RIP Christian,

Randall may you take comfort in knowing Christian is home with his heavenly father.

God bless

Texan_Bill
06-30-2010, 09:19 PM
RIP Christian,

Randall may you take comfort in knowing Christian is home with his heavenly father.

God bless

Well said!! And the same here.