PDA

View Full Version : Texans Talk Group Cruise!

Porky
06-24-2010, 11:46 AM
I was planning on bringing this up in Aug or Sept when more members are around so we could get a rough guesstimate on interested parties. And I probably will do so at that time once again...but since it came up in another thread, I decided to post something now just to get a feel for the interest level.

We need a bare min of 10 individuals/couples/familes, or 10 cabins is a better way to say it. The more people we can get, the better off we will all be on pricing and amenities. 20 or more families would be better. In the interest of full disclosure I and a business partner are opening our own travel agency very soon, and have been training for some time now. We should be operational sometime in July.

Since more board members live in or within a drive to the Houston area, Galveston makes sense as a port. I found a potential cruise that fits the bill nicely. It’s right after the NFL draft and we wouldn’t have to worry about any Hurricane activity and the weather would be more pleasant. It leaves on May 1st, and returns a week later. It’s on the Carnival Conquest. Carnival is a more laid back, more casual “party” atmosphere, but there are still plenty of things for families and children and non-party animals to do onboard. If we need to wait until June to let school children out, we can do so, but the price may be a little higher and the weather warmer. So, on the date majority rules. Please state your preference.

This trip would sail to Montego Bay, Jamaica, then on to the Cayman Islands, over to Cozumel Mexico and finally back to Galveston. To enhance the trip, group tours can be arranged at each stop for those that wish to add that to the itinerary. From what I understand, Jamaica in particular is best with a tour so would highly recommend it.

Before I know the number of people going and other details, pricing is extremely rough, but to give you an idea and this is for the cruise only (on May 1st only) – no tours, airfare, or hotels for out of towners, here is an idea below. This is per person double occupancy (not including taxes and fees which should be roughly $50 per person). This fee includes most meals on board, all entertainment, your cabin etc. Tips and alcoholic drinks are usually extra. Tips should be about $10 per day. More details to come in a couple months.

Inside cabin: $500-$600
Outside view cabin: $600-$750
Balcony - $800-$1200
Suite - $1300-$2000

BIG TORO
06-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Im always up for a little fun, but I would like to know more, only thing is I have been to two out of the three places, are you set on these destinations?

Porky
06-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Im always up for a little fun, but I would like to know more, only thing is I have been to two out of the three places, are you set on these destinations?

No, I'm totally open it's just that if we choose Galveston as the port, the options are somewhat limited. Carnival docks two ships there, and Royal Carribean sometimes has a ship there. Carnival does have a trip in the middle of May that goes to two places in the Bahamas, stops at Key West on the way back and then redocks in Galveston so that is one alternative. Royal Carribean is a little nicer cruise line, so I can check if they have anything leaving in that time range. Anything else would require we leave from a different port. Alaska would be an awesome June trip, but we all have to get to Seattle or Vancouver. I'm trying to keep it simple, but open for suggestions. :devilpig:

Old School
06-24-2010, 01:03 PM
My wife and I are taking this same cruise this August. I will let you know how it went when I get back.

Porky
06-24-2010, 01:05 PM
My wife and I are taking this same cruise this August. I will let you know how it went when I get back.

Perfect. Give us some feedback!:photos:

NitroGSXR
06-24-2010, 01:11 PM
So are you tying to sell a cruise to me? Is that what this really is all about?

Count me out. I just wanted to hang.

Showtime100
06-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I'll be just getting back from Cooperstown with a suitcase full of peanuts and Crackerjacks so my enertainment budget will be gone. I put dobtful because if that trip doesn't go through for whatever reason I'll look into it.

disaacks3
06-24-2010, 02:02 PM

Count me out. I just wanted to hang. Were you expecting a FREE cruise? :thinking:

NitroGSXR
06-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Were you expecting a FREE cruise? :thinking:

*rolls eyes*

Go stand in the corner for the day. You obviously missed the first thread.

badboy
06-24-2010, 02:19 PM
I was planning on bringing this up in Aug or Sept when more members are around so we could get a rough guesstimate on interested parties. And I probably will do so at that time once again...but since it came up in another thread, I decided to post something now just to get a feel for the interest level.

We need a bare min of 10 individuals/couples/familes, or 10 cabins is a better way to say it. The more people we can get, the better off we will all be on pricing and amenities. 20 or more families would be better. In the interest of full disclosure I and a business partner are opening our own travel agency very soon, and have been training for some time now. We should be operational sometime in July.

Since more board members live in or within a drive to the Houston area, Galveston makes sense as a port. I found a potential cruise that fits the bill nicely. It’s right after the NFL draft and we wouldn’t have to worry about any Hurricane activity and the weather would be more pleasant. It leaves on May 1st, and returns a week later. It’s on the Carnival Conquest. Carnival is a more laid back, more casual “party” atmosphere, but there are still plenty of things for families and children and non-party animals to do onboard. If we need to wait until June to let school children out, we can do so, but the price may be a little higher and the weather warmer. So, on the date majority rules. Please state your preference.

This trip would sail to Montego Bay, Jamaica, then on to the Cayman Islands, over to Cozumel Mexico and finally back to Galveston. To enhance the trip, group tours can be arranged at each stop for those that wish to add that to the itinerary. From what I understand, Jamaica in particular is best with a tour so would highly recommend it.

Before I know the number of people going and other details, pricing is extremely rough, but to give you an idea and this is for the cruise only (on May 1st only) – no tours, airfare, or hotels for out of towners, here is an idea below. This is per person double occupancy (not including taxes and fees which should be roughly $50 per person). This fee includes most meals on board, all entertainment, your cabin etc. Tips and alcoholic drinks are usually extra. Tips should be about $10 per day. More details to come in a couple months.

Inside cabin: $500-$600
Outside view cabin: $600-$750
Balcony - $800-$1200
Suite - $1300-$2000Porky, I am definitely interested but pretty far in future as I know it has to be. More info and firmer price would help but would like to go if others from TTalk go.

Porky
06-24-2010, 02:21 PM

Count me out. I just wanted to hang.

I'll be there hanging with everyone if it comes off, but yes I would also make some commissions off of it. I just thought it sounded like fun. It's not going to make me or break me. Like I said, full disclosure. :cow:

NitroGSXR
06-24-2010, 02:27 PM
I'll be there hanging with everyone if it comes off, but yes I would also make some commissions off of it. I just thought it sounded like fun. It's not going to make me or break me. Like I said, full disclosure. :cow:

Appreciate you coming clean. I'm out for sure. I can't fund a homophobe.

Porky
06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Appreciate you coming clean. I'm out for sure. I can't fund a homophobe.

I'm not a homophobe, but thanks for not coming with that attitude. :pirate:

Porky
06-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Porky, I am definitely interested but pretty far in future as I know it has to be. More info and firmer price would help but would like to go if others from TTalk go.

Right, that will come if I can garner enough interest. Once I know how many have an interest we can firm things up, then get a final count and take deposits. It will take a few months yet to get it all together. Planning a group is quite hectic and takes lots of time, but I thought it would be fun.

A key consideration is where from and where too. If anyone disagrees with Galveston as the leaving port let me know. The tentative itineray would either be Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Cozumel...or the Bahamas and Key West.

Voice your opinion and let me know!

HOU-TEX
06-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Not really a fan of Carnival, but I'm interested if several on TT decide to go. If you plan to bring younger kids Carnival's the way to go. If you don't take kids or your kids are older, plan on seeing and dealing with a lot of kids. It's still fun though and I'll be keeping up with this thread to see who else might be interested.

Sorry Porkster, unless you'd be giving a heck of a deal I'm going to have to stick with our TA. :)

*edit* I'm taking a break from flying for a while so if it's not out of Galvetraz then count me out

brakos82
06-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Alaska would be an awesome June trip, but we all have to get to Seattle or Vancouver. I'm trying to keep it simple, but open for suggestions. :devilpig:

:thinking:

disaacks3
06-24-2010, 03:30 PM
*rolls eyes*

Go stand in the corner for the day. You obviously missed the first thread. Well, if you don't want to fund the evil, manipulative, capitalist homophobe Porky....then you could still book the cruise "elsewhere" and hang anyway.
:shades:

BTW - One of the longtime Blue Crew members is now a travel agent!

Porky
06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Not really a fan of Carnival, but I'm interested if several on TT decide to go. If you plan to bring younger kids Carnival's the way to go. If you don't take kids or your kids are older, plan on seeing and dealing with a lot of kids. It's still fun though and I'll be keeping up with this thread to see who else might be interested.

Sorry Porkster, unless you'd be giving a heck of a deal I'm going to have to stick with our TA. :)

*edit* I'm taking a break from flying for a while so if it's not out of Galvetraz then count me out

Yes, Carnival is probably the cheapest and least elegant of the cruise lines. They cater to families and young adult party types. You won't see much of the wine and cheese crowd there. However, Carnival is the major line out of Galveston. I'll check out Royal Carribean asap and see what they have.

Porky
06-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Well, if you don't want to fund the evil, manipulative, capitalist homophobe Porky....then you could still book the cruise "elsewhere" and hang anyway.
:shades:

BTW - One of the longtime Blue Crew members is now a travel agent!

Not at the group rate he couldn't. We'll be getting a special rate because I am booking many cabins. He won't be able to get the same rates. I have nothing against the guy myself, but I wish he would be a little more tolerant of alternative opinions. You would think someone who is deaf would appreciate a little tolerance. He is still welcome to come and I'm sure we would get along fine - but please come with the proper attitude.

Travel agents tend to specialize. I don't know what your friend is doing, but our firm will be specializing in tours and cruises, especially cruises. We have 3 people to start, with a focus on groups, incentive and meeting travel, wedding and honeymoon travel, and luxury cruises. These will be our focus.

disaacks3
06-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Not at the group rate he couldn't. True, but maybe he'd be willing to make that sacrifice, rather than funding your perceived intolerance. :bubbles:

If I get to go, I'd just rather have people THERE, I care not how they arranged their passage.

Porky
06-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Royal Carribean is not cruising out of Galveston next year except March and April. That interferes with the Draft, especially in April. The trip goes to Hondurus, Belize, Cozumel and back to Galveston, so it's more South American in nature. It could be interesting, but I don't know if there will be enough interest in a March cruise.

Porky
06-24-2010, 04:15 PM
True, but maybe he'd be willing to make that sacrifice, rather than funding your perceived intolerance. :bubbles:

If I get to go, I'd just rather have people THERE, I care not how they arranged their passage.

That's fine if he so chooses. I have no problem with that. The idea came about as I was getting involved with this and I thought it sounded like fun. By the time I pay for my own tickets, I will make little to nothing because I have to split any commission. So, it's not like I plan on getting rich here. It was just an idea to have some fun and do something creative as a group. :worldpeace:

NitroGSXR
06-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Not at the group rate he couldn't. We'll be getting a special rate because I am booking many cabins. He won't be able to get the same rates. I have nothing against the guy myself, but I wish he would be a little more tolerant of alternative opinions. You would think someone who is deaf would appreciate a little tolerance. He is still welcome to come and I'm sure we would get along fine - but please come with the proper attitude.

Travel agents tend to specialize. I don't know what your friend is doing, but our firm will be specializing in tours and cruises, especially cruises. We have 3 people to start, with a focus on groups, incentive and meeting travel, wedding and honeymoon travel, and luxury cruises. These will be our focus.

:spit:

No way! I just got scolded upon regarding TOLERANCE! It matters none how much savings you could offer me anyway. Worth it to just pay a premium so I inadverently fund any anti-gay tirades. Alternative opinions... hahahahaha... no... we would not get along, Porky.

Travel agent or physical therapist or secretary? I smell a scam.

Leaving thread now... hijack over. Buh-bye, Porkster.

:spit:

Porky
06-24-2010, 04:27 PM
If you come, just please do me a favor and stay away from me. And please quit turning this thread into bashing me or my viewpoints. You want to start a bash Porky thread, please use the appropriate forum. This thread is for those that can get along with others and may want to get together and have some fun, not for those who wish to engage in tilting at windmills. Thanks for your cooperation!

Joe Texan
06-24-2010, 05:03 PM
I wnt to go so I can see Pigs Fly

Porky
06-25-2010, 10:05 AM
I wnt to go so I can see Pigs Fly

I doubt you will see many pigs flying, but maybe some seagulls or some oil laden pelicans? :thinking:

edo783
06-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi Porkster, yup a balcony could be in my future. Keep me informed.

Porky
06-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi Porkster, yup a balcony could be in my future. Keep me informed.

Will do! :doot:

Texanmike02
06-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Going early in June would make more sense but I'd look into May if my brother still lives with me.

Mike

Khari
06-26-2010, 08:13 PM
i'm cruising out of galveston in early september.......if all goes well

brakos82
06-26-2010, 08:34 PM

:facepalm: Khari!

Khari
06-26-2010, 08:40 PM
:facepalm: Khari!

keep the hurricanes away!

brakos82
06-26-2010, 08:42 PM
keep the hurricanes away!

Get Bill to stop farting then. :kitten:

Khari
06-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Get Bill to stop farting then. :kitten:

bill's farts attract hurricanes?

JB
06-26-2010, 08:45 PM

Or cause them...

brakos82
06-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Why else you think Alex went towards Mexico? One big fart country.

Texan_Bill
06-26-2010, 08:54 PM
For all y'alls ****, I'm mixin' up a gallon worth of Metamucil!!!

Porky
06-27-2010, 01:22 PM

Where are you going Khari? Carribean I assume? That's the peak of hurricane season! Good luck!! :spin:

Joe Texan
06-27-2010, 02:24 PM
I always thout Pigs Flew when Porky was there, I would be interested if the economy heals itself.

Khari
06-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Where are you going Khari? Carribean I assume? That's the peak of hurricane season! Good luck!! :spin:

cozumel......brakos the hurricane fairy will turn them all away!

:doot:

gary
06-27-2010, 04:40 PM
So, Porkster has got a scam going on huh?

Porky
06-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Scam? I hope you are joking! :slapfight:

gary
06-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Scam? I hope you are joking! :slapfight:Those are Nitro's words not mine.:kitten:

Porky
06-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Those are Nitro's words not mine.:kitten:

Well, you can decide on your own who you trust as to the "scaminess" of it. :fingergun:

gary
06-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Well, you can decide on your own who you trust as to the "scaminess" of it. :fingergun:
I'm just poking fun.

Koolaid Time
06-27-2010, 06:21 PM

I went on a cruise back in the late 90's and we went to Key West first, instead of last, and then went around the east coast to Cuba to dodge a storm off of the Caymans.

Honoring Earl 34
06-27-2010, 06:43 PM

The Porky video .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8EUs5NFLM

Hardcore Texan
06-27-2010, 08:32 PM
I went on a cruise on RC for my honeymoon and loved it. We went in December, I highly recommend going in the winter time or "off season". It's cheaper, less crowded, and it's a nice break from cold weather to sneak in some sun and fun.

Porky
06-27-2010, 09:00 PM
I went on a cruise on RC for my honeymoon and loved it. We went in December, I highly recommend going in the winter time or "off season". It's cheaper, less crowded, and it's a nice break from cold weather to sneak in some sun and fun.

Great advice...in general. But we are talking about a bunch of football fans here. If we are going to have a Texans Talk cruise, December isn't exactly going to be met with great enthusiasm!

Texan_Bill
06-27-2010, 09:08 PM

I dunno... I got gas!

gary
06-27-2010, 09:11 PM
The Porky video .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8EUs5NFLMBad ol Porster.:bat:

Honoring Earl 34
06-27-2010, 09:14 PM
I dunno... I got gas!

Gary ... your Bill's roomy cause you don't smoke .

Hardcore Texan
06-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Great advice...in general. But we are talking about a bunch of football fans here. If we are going to have a Texans Talk cruise, December isn't exactly going to be met with great enthusiasm!

Oh I know, I was just throwing it out there for people who might want to do their own thing or for future reference. You could always do it on the bye week :fans:

brakos82
06-27-2010, 10:39 PM

Depends on what kind of mood I'm in by then. :truck:

Dutchrudder
06-28-2010, 12:06 AM
I've taken this cruise a couple times and it's pretty good. Carnival is a much better cruise line than it was 10 years ago. They aren't the cheap booze cruise they used to be, and now they have good food. It's certainly the best option for a cruise out of Houston on a budget. I know Princess had a ship here for a while, but I'm not sure if it's still around and it costs more per cabin.

Porky
06-28-2010, 10:18 AM
I've taken this cruise a couple times and it's pretty good. Carnival is a much better cruise line than it was 10 years ago. They aren't the cheap booze cruise they used to be, and now they have good food. It's certainly the best option for a cruise out of Houston on a budget. I know Princess had a ship here for a while, but I'm not sure if it's still around and it costs more per cabin.

No, Princess isn't sailing out of Galveston. The only other line here is Royal Caribbean, but they aren't here full time. And good review of Carnival as well.