PDA

View Full Version : Kris Brown Fan

HoustonFrog
06-22-2010, 08:30 AM
I wanted to tell this quick story. It's the offseason. I've been pretty harsh on KB. Mostly not on him but on the Texans for not handling last year better. I always knew the guy was a good guy but I really never look at it from a personal standpoint...until now.

Yesterday I was coming home from a 4 Day weekend in Colorado Springs with the wife and kids. A little Father's Day weekend at the zoo there, Manitou Springs, the North Pole, etc. We flew in and out of Denver. Waiting for yesterday's flight I noticed Kris Brown with one of his sons in the waiting area. Didn't say anything, boarded and got to Houston. While waiting for luggage I looked up and he was right next to me with his sons. I threw out "Good luck this season." He smiled and told me thanks. After about a minute pause he just starts talking to me. "You guys go to Denver or from there?" I told him about our trip and he starts talking to me about how he flew there and then drove to north Nebraska where he has in-laws and he and his bro play in a charity type golf tourney. We chit chat for a couple of minutes. Anyways, we get our luggage, he grabs his last bag, tells me it was nice to talk and wishes us well. He was real attentive to his sons and was a great guy to talk to.

I don't know if he still has the stuff to be the kicker here but he made a fan and wherever he kicks I hope he comes around and things go well. I know there are 100s of great guys in the NFL. I still like guys to perform, not matter how nice they are. I was just impressed how he actually started the conversation after the inital "Good luck" and how personable a guy he is. My wife even said, "Don't you feel bad now for telling me he sucked last year?" :)

BSofA04
06-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for sharing HoustonFrog. Kris seems like a really good guy. Just about everyone who knows him talks really highly of him which is the primary reason why I want him to succeed. I'd like to think that good guys finish first but in reality that rarely ever happens. I'm pulling for him too to have a good season and make the squad!

Texan_Bill
06-22-2010, 09:04 AM
I wanted to tell this quick story. It's the offseason. I've been pretty harsh on KB. Mostly not on him but on the Texans for not handling last year better. I always knew the guy was a good guy but I really never look at it from a personal standpoint...until now.

Yesterday I was coming home from a 4 Day weekend in Colorado Springs with the wife and kids. A little Father's Day weekend at the zoo there, Manitou Springs, the North Pole, etc. We flew in and out of Denver. Waiting for yesterday's flight I noticed Kris Brown with one of his sons in the waiting area. Didn't say anything, boarded and got to Houston. While waiting for luggage I looked up and he was right next to me with his sons. I threw out "Good luck this season." He smiled and told me thanks. After about a minute pause he just starts talking to me. "You guys go to Denver or from there?" I told him about our trip and he starts talking to me about how he flew there and then drove to north Nebraska where he has in-laws and he and his bro play in a charity type golf tourney. We chit chat for a couple of minutes. Anyways, we get our luggage, he grabs his last bag, tells me it was nice to talk and wishes us well. He was real attentive to his sons and was a great guy to talk to.

I don't know if he still has the stuff to be the kicker here but he made a fan and wherever he kicks I hope he comes around and things go well. I know there are 100s of great guys in the NFL. I still like guys to perform, not matter how nice they are. I was just impressed how he actually started the conversation after the inital "Good luck" and how personable a guy he is. My wife even said, "Don't you feel bad now for telling me he sucked last year?" :)

A few of us here are extremeley fortunate to have insight into the Brown's family through one of his in-law relatives. He is very involved in charities, many of which gets no publicity...

I can separate his performance on the field from the man himself. He had a poor season and he knew it. He took it hard. Personally, I will pull for him to get his head straight again and win his job back. However, if this pre-season shows that he is not the best kicker in camp, then time to move on and good luck to him.

HoustonFrog
06-22-2010, 09:13 AM
A few of us here are extremeley fortunate to have insight into the Brown's family through one of his in-law relatives. He is very involved in charities, many of which gets no publicity...

I can separate his performance on the field from the man himself. He had a poor season and he knew it. He took it hard. Personally, I will pull for him to get his head straight again and win his job back. However, if this pre-season shows that he is not the best kicker in camp, then time to move on and good luck to him.

Agree. Again, I never really use the goodness of my favorite athletes to downplay their failures. I am a fan on gameday of my teams and get peeved when players don't perform. This was just a real pleasant experience that made me at least cheer for him to get his act straight and succeed somewhere. May not be here but maybe somewhere else. So far it sounds like he has been outkicked but he seemed ready to go into full work mode come end of July.

lionlisa
06-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Thanks for sharing, he is a good guy,and hope all will be fine

Texan_Bill
06-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Agree. Again, I never really use the goodness of my favorite athletes to downplay their failures. I am a fan on gameday of my teams and get peeved when players don't perform. This was just a real pleasant experience that made me at least cheer for him to get his act straight and succeed somewhere. May not be here but maybe somewhere else. So far it sounds like he has been outkicked but he seemed ready to go into full work mode come end of July.

If I were a betting man, I would bet that he would agree with you on that. Having played his college ball at Nebraska, he understands the adage: "It's about the name on the front of the jersey, not that back."

HuttoKarl
06-22-2010, 09:26 AM
That's a nice story.

Maybe your niceness and cordiality will inspire him to hit FG's instead of shanking the crap out of them.

Big Lou
06-22-2010, 09:49 AM
I prefer guys that have a bad season to be really bad people so that I can lavish hate on them guilt free........

badboy
06-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Why does hate, name calling and profanity have to be part of it? It is not part of the game. Criticize the heck out of someone using facts or just your opinion but do it with some class. I wonder at some of the posters who sling the mud and wonder how well they would do being called names or being told they suck. I see this when guys get angry "defending" their school. Give me a break. Defend you wife or family or yourself physically if you have to. I think it is about men still wishing they were boys playing a game (or not having the skills and living through those who do).

Lucky
06-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Kris Brown is known to be a great guy. And McNair loves him. If Brown would make his kicks, he'd be here forever.

But he's not making his kicks, lately. Making the kicks has to be what counts in the NFL. When Brown's career is over, I hope he returns our community. I'm sure Brown would be welcomed back into the Texans organization, in some capacity. I just think his time in Houston as a kicker is over.

Vinnie
06-23-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't think his time here is over, at least not yet. He had one really bad season among a bunch of really good ones. It just so happened his really bad season happened at the worst possible time. I still think it was our running game (or lack there of) that was the biggest culprit that kept us out of the playoffs, not Kris Brown.

IDEXAN
06-23-2010, 08:57 AM
By all reports, including anybody in the media in Houston who ever made a remark about him, Dom Capers was a very nice man with evrything from impecable manners to a highly honorable character.

HoustonFrog
06-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Kris Brown is known to be a great guy. And McNair loves him. If Brown would make his kicks, he'd be here forever.

But he's not making his kicks, lately. Making the kicks has to be what counts in the NFL. When Brown's career is over, I hope he returns our community. I'm sure Brown would be welcomed back into the Texans organization, in some capacity. I just think his time in Houston as a kicker is over.

Agree completely. I hope my posts didn't come across as ones where I want the guy to stay just because he is nice.(that would surprise many here..lol:)) From what I heard he had a bad end of OTAs and missed 5 kicks straight while Rackers missed 1 all session. I was one of the biggest proponents of cutting him last year. I only hoped to convey that I thought it was great for him to be so nice and laid back in the few minutes I got to talk with him and that I hope he gets his mojo back where he can compete and play somewhere. Just made it easier to root for him down the road, wherever he is.

thunderkyss
06-23-2010, 09:46 AM

I've been a fan, and appreciate all the wins we got because of Kris Brown. I never had an issue with the man last season, shit happens. A lot of our players weren't playing up to the level we wanted/needed them to play. With Kris, we knew he had the ability.

I didn't like the way the braintrust decided to handle the issue, I am/was more upset with them than Kris Brown. I hope, he is our kicker in 2010, and I hope he has a great season. I also hope we don't need him to "close-out" games.

I also hope that someone has a bonafide sure-fire, never been wrong, can't miss method to figure out if whatever mental hurdle he was struggling with is gone, and he can be that clutch guy we need.

"Don't you feel bad now for telling me he sucked last year?" :)

Would you feel bad telling a duck he's got webbed feet?

My only thing, is that we should talk to & about people like people. The way some folks talk about players, you'd think that player molested a close family member. Totally uncalled for, if you ask me.

badboy
06-23-2010, 09:53 AM
I've been a fan, and appreciate all the wins we got because of Kris Brown. I never had an issue with the man last season, shit happens. A lot of our players weren't playing up to the level we wanted/needed them to play. With Kris, we knew he had the ability.

I didn't like the way the braintrust decided to handle the issue, I am/was more upset with them than Kris Brown. I hope, he is our kicker in 2010, and I hope he has a great season. I also hope we don't need him to "close-out" games.

I also hope that someone has a bonafide sure-fire, never been wrong, can't miss method to figure out if whatever mental hurdle he was struggling with is gone, and he can be that clutch guy we need.

Would you feel bad telling a duck he's got webbed feet?

My only thing, is that we should talk to & about people like people. The way some folks talk about players, you'd think that player molested a close family member. Totally uncalled for, if you ask me.Point of my above post & I agree. Tried to rep you.

thunderkyss
06-23-2010, 12:08 PM
By all reports, including anybody in the media in Houston who ever made a remark about him, Dom Capers was a very nice man with evrything from impecable manners to a highly honorable character.

It's not like we were asking Kris Brown to be the starting QB.

Dom Capers is a Defensive Coordinator, and a damn fine one at that. Asking him to be the head coach, defacto GM (who are we kidding? Charley Casserly??), and baby sitter, was a little outside of his scope.

Trail.Blazr
06-23-2010, 09:10 PM
I too am pulling for Kris Brown.

I'm reaching back without any stats, but IIRC, KB's worst season prior to last year had to be in Pittsburgh.

Here's hoping for another good 7 year stretch.

SheTexan
06-24-2010, 09:40 AM
My sig tells how I feel! I'm pulling for him to win his job back, and have a pro bowl season! I could write pages about Kris and his wonderful family, but, this is not the place to do that. The "goodness" in all of us wants the GOOD guys to succeed, and Kris is truly one of the best!!!

awtysst
06-26-2010, 12:35 PM
I am happy that Kris Brown is a good guy. I would hope all athletes would be good guys. I mean, we the fans pay their salaries.

That said, to me its a matter of doing the job. Whoever does the job should be the kicker. Right now, Rackers looks like the better kicker, so I am leaning towards him.

painekiller
06-26-2010, 03:06 PM
I am happy that Kris Brown is a good guy. I would hope all athletes would be good guys. I mean, we the fans pay their salaries.

That said, to me its a matter of doing the job. Whoever does the job should be the kicker. Right now, Rackers looks like the better kicker, so I am leaning towards him.

Brown has the stronger leg, from 45 in Rackers is more accurate, but don't expect much from 50 plus. Plus Browns kick off will be deeper.

I expect Brown to be the kicker coming out of camp.

infantrycak
06-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Plus Browns kick off will be deeper.

Rackers had 50% more touch backs on three quarters the kick offs Brown did last year. Brown does have a bigger leg for field goals but he has never been a big leg kick off guy.

thunderkyss
06-26-2010, 05:54 PM

You're not saying anything new. Not one person said Brown should get the job because he's a nice guy.

Everybody wants the better kicker.

awtysst
06-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Brown has the stronger leg, from 45 in Rackers is more accurate, but don't expect much from 50 plus. Plus Browns kick off will be deeper.

I expect Brown to be the kicker coming out of camp.

Good. That's what we need. We need to someone who is near automatic within 45. Brown has regressed over the years and looks to be on a downward trajectory whereas Rackers' diffciulty was in his first two years.

While Brown may be better beyond 50 (and that is questionable), I say give me the guy who is more accurate within 45 any day of the week. We have more fgs inside 45 than beyond 50, so I'll take the accuracy over distance.

awtysst
06-26-2010, 06:12 PM
You're not saying anything new. Not one person said Brown should get the job because he's a nice guy.

Everybody wants the better kicker.

I know nobody said Brown should get the job becuase he is a nice guy. I was simply stating my opinion. Is that such a big deal?

houstonspartan
06-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I've always suspected that Kris Brown was one of the good ones. He seems like a great guy.

But...

Sorry, I just don't trust him on our team. Kicker is too important of a job. I wish Kris well, regardless of where he ends up. If he ends up here, I will be sweating and nervous the entire season. Pass.

thunderkyss
06-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Sorry, I just don't trust him on our team. Kicker is too important of a job. I wish Kris well, regardless of where he ends up. If he ends up here, I will be sweating and nervous the entire season. Pass.

With Kickers, it's always a crap-shoot, & you better have your fingers crossed, regardless what his name is.

Brown, Rackers, Suisham, Bironas, Janikowski... it doesn't matter.

You've just got to pray that you get him, when his head is right... I don't know that there is a "sure fire" way to fix them when they go bad either.

mexican_texan
06-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Kris Brown is a great guy and I'm glad guys like him live in our city, but just like the rest of us, if he doesn't perform, he loses his job.