PDA

View Full Version : Chris Johnson looking to get paid

J_R
06-18-2010, 07:00 PM
I know, I know, who isn't looking to get paid?

Adam_Schefter (www.twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)
In an E60 interview, Titans RB Chris Johnson told @MrMichael_Smith he wants $30-$40 million guaranteed. More tonight on NFL Live @ 12:30 am

CloakNNNdagger
06-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Message from Bud:

http://localcrank.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/hell-freezes-over.jpg

edo783
06-18-2010, 11:57 PM
No one ever said he wasn't a greedy little shitza, but smart is a whole nother conversation.

gary
06-19-2010, 12:05 AM
With that kind of cash he might also get laid.

JB
06-19-2010, 12:14 AM

Gary! :yikes:

TheDrifter
06-19-2010, 02:16 AM
I think its funny reading their fans comments hoping Bud holds his ground and doesnt pay CJ. Like that miserable old fart needs extra incentive to be cheap. :laughjump:

brakos82
06-19-2010, 03:04 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that's what the title said. :photos:

gary
06-19-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that's what the title said. :photos:
It must have been changed.

brakos82
06-19-2010, 12:21 PM
It must have been changed.

Yes, that must be it. :texanbill:

Dutchrudder
06-21-2010, 11:09 AM
He certainly is worth 8 million a year, and I think there are several teams out there that would pay it if he were a free agent. However, is it worth it for him to play this year under a 3 million $ contract, or should he sit out and not risk getting injured? I think it's worth it to sit out if he can't get a deal done with the Titans because he's risking the loss of that 30-40 mil if he gets a serious injury.

badboy
06-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Hmm. Player under an existing contract and decides he is one of the best at his position and wants more money. Trying to remember where I have heard that before.

CloakNNNdagger
06-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Pass the popcorn.

Titans, Chris Johnson should look for a middle ground (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/22/titans-chris-johnson-should-look-for-a-middle-ground/)

When it comes to the contract standoff between the Tennessee Titans and star running back Chris Johnson, the two sides seem to be moving farther and farther apart.

For example, when informed that Johnson wants $30 million to $40 million guaranteed, coach Jeff Fisher reportedly said on Tuesday, "So would I. . . . You know he's under contract right now."

Comments like that, frankly, won't do anything to get Johnson to tuck tail and return to Tennessee without a raise.

So how can this one be resolved? Both sides need to find a way to save some face, and Johnson needs to get some more money into his pockets. Given that he surely has unlocked some out-year escalators in light of his performance during the first two years of his career, the Titans should consider shifting some of that money -- which will never actually be paid if Johnson gets an extension -- into 2010.

And Johnson needs to be willing to take it. He says he can't play for $550,000. Maybe he should consider playing for, say, three times that amount.

The goal would be to give Johnson enough money to create the sense that he's being treated fairly in light of what he brings to the table, but to defer the big-money deal that the Titans apparently aren't ready to give him.

It makes plenty of sense. Which probably means it'll never happen.

ATXtexanfan
06-22-2010, 10:59 PM
a pro rb doesn't get paid anymore, all there is to it

drs23
06-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Excuse me for not knowing, but was it poverty in his childhood that allowed his teeth to go so bad that he needed dental reconstruction, or it that a Grille?

Just axin'?

scourge
06-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Excuse me for not knowing, but was it poverty in his childhood that allowed his teeth to go so bad that he needed dental reconstruction, or it that a Grille?

Just axin'?

To paraphrase Galifinakis... I used to wear Axe body spray. Now that I live in the hood though, I wear Ask body spray.

Brando
07-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Titans, Chris Johnson agree to revised deal

NASHVILLE, Tenn. Chris Johnson's agent says the running back and the Tennessee Titans have agreed on a revised deal that should ensure he reports with the rest of the team for training camp.
Agent Joel Segal confirmed the deal Monday in a text to The Associated Press.
The deal pays Johnson incentives this season that he was due to be paid in 2012. It's not the minimum $30 million guarantee The AP 2009 Offensive Player of the Year says he wanted after becoming just the sixth back to run for at least 2,000 yards.
But he no longer will be the lowest-paid running back on the Titans roster and the deal should prevent him from missing training camp after sitting out the entire offseason in protest.
Profootballtalk.com first reported the deal.

link (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gO8XML8prvvGuNe9jAsOcG7XfzfwD9H2CU900)

Koolaid Time
07-19-2010, 07:13 PM

link (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gO8XML8prvvGuNe9jAsOcG7XfzfwD9H2CU900)

The "Titans Curse" tells me he gets hurt in camp and misses 3 regular season games.

awtysst
07-19-2010, 07:35 PM

No surprise. I imagine the Titans gave him a 4-5 year deal. That way the contract ends when he is 29. If I were the coach, I would run him into the ground over the next few years. He will inevitably trail off at 30 so the Titans would be smart to use him as much as possible before he is disposable.

JB
07-19-2010, 07:52 PM
No surprise. I imagine the Titans gave him a 4-5 year deal. That way the contract ends when he is 29. If I were the coach, I would run him into the ground over the next few years. He will inevitably trail off at 30 so the Titans would be smart to use him as much as possible before he is disposable.

According to Espn there were no years added to his current deal. They just moved a 2012 escalator forward to this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/13167/titans-chris-johnson-agree-to-restructure

CloakNNNdagger
07-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Bud was not about to offer a long term high money deal, not knowing what the end of the CBA brings.

Imatexanfan
07-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Bud was not about to offer a long term high money deal, not knowing what the end of the CBA brings.

Exactly, on top of that they are waiting to see if he can pull off another high rushing season before giving him the big bucks. If it was my team I'd pay the man he earned it.:chickendance:

TexasBoY25
07-20-2010, 11:14 AM

That sucks!! I was hoping he held out for atlease one week

Thorn
07-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Once Johnson get's his payday, his best running days are over. I don't feel sorry for the Titans.

CloakNNNdagger
07-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Exactly, on top of that they are waiting to see if he can pull off another high rushing season before giving him the big bucks. If it was my team I'd pay the man he earned it.:chickendance:

After all this hoopla.........was it really worth it for Johnson?

Chris Johnson got a raise of only $1.25 million (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/22/chris-johnson-got-a-raise-of-only-125-million/)

It widely was believed in the days and weeks preceding the negotiation of a new contract between the Titans and running back Chris Johnson that as much as $2.5 million in future money to be paid to Johnson under his current contract would be moved into 2010.

In the end, only $1.25 million was accelerated from 2012.

A league source with knowledge of the new deal, and the old deal, tells us that the Titans moved $1.25 million in escalators triggered by Johnson during the first two years of his career into 2010, reducing Johnson's 2012 base salary from $2.210 million to $960,000.

The $1.25 million was paid to Johnson as a signing bonus, due most likely to the realities of the 30-percent rule, which limited the Titans to a salary increase of only $165,000.

So, in the end, Johnson will still earn a base salary of $550,000 in 2010. But Johnson received $1.25 million to add his John Hancock to the new deal.

The fact that the Titans robbed 2012 to pay 2010 suggests that both sides contemplate that a new deal will be done before Johnson gets to 2012 and wonders where in the hell his $1.25 million in base salary went.

UPDATE: The contract also includes incentives that total of $235,000, based on rushing for 700 yards and averaging 4.5 yards per carry. If reached, Johnson's total compensation would be $2.035 million.