PDA

View Full Version : Texans hire college scout Mike Ackerley and other Scouting Moves

Brando
06-16-2010, 10:42 PM
according to Paul Kuharsky via twitter. link (http://twitter.com/espn_afcsouth?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=fb&utm_campaign=espn_afcsouth&utm_content=16353133532&ref=nf)

He's been with the Titans the last 10 years.

steelbtexan
06-16-2010, 10:48 PM
The Tacks have always done a good job in the draft. I'm sure Ackerley will be a quality addition.

Anybody know who Ackerley is replacing on the scouting staff ? If anybody is being replaced.

ArlingtonTexan
06-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Multiple scouting department moves

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Texans-make-several-scouting-department-changes.html

The Houston Texans made several changes to their personnel department, promoting three people and hiring two scouts.

They promoted Chris Olsen to vice president of football administration, Lloyd Richards to vice president of football operations and Mike Maccagnan to assistant director of college scouting.

And the Texans hired Larry Wright as a pro scout and Mike Ackerley as a college scout.

Olsen is in his fourth season with the Texans. His primary responsibility is to work closely with general manager Rick Smith on negotiating player contracts and managing the teamís salary cap.

He spent 13 years working at the NFL office in New York where he served as the manager of labor operations with the NFL Management Council.

He was responsible for reviewing and analyzing player contracts to ensure that teams were in compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and the salary cap.

Richards is in his fourth season with the Texans.

He oversees team travel, training camp, the Methodist Training Center and the Texans areas in Reliant Stadium, including scheduling, cleaning and maintenance.

Richards also oversees the teamís game day operations.

Maccagnan initially joined the club as a pro scout as one of the teamís first hires. He works with director of college scouting Dale Strahm in coordinating all of the Texansí college scouting efforts.

Wright is responsible for evaluating players on current NFL rosters as well as street free agents and players in the AFL, CFL, and UFL. He will also assist in advanced scouting of Texansí opponents.

He previously worked for the Jacksonville Jaguars from 2003-07 in their pro scouting department.

Ackerley enters his first season as a Texans college scout after spending the previous 10 seasons with the Tennessee Titans. He is a 20-year NFL veteran that also worked for the St. Louis Rams and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

steelbtexan
06-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Did Wright replace Greir?

Hope the answer to that one is yes.

b0ng
06-17-2010, 01:22 AM

This was my first thought as well. Didn't see his name appear though so my guess is Grier is still with us in some capacity.

ArlingtonTexan
06-17-2010, 09:38 AM

No. Grier is the associate director of pro scouting while Wright was hire as a scout.In short, Grier is his boss and probably interiewed him etc.

badboy
06-17-2010, 09:50 AM
IMO Olsen is one of the better hires during the Smith/Kubiac regime. Supposedly a very sharp dude with contracts. He has helped to correct some dufus decisions made by prior management, but hey..

steelbtexan
06-17-2010, 11:19 AM
No. Grier is the associate director of pro scouting while Wright was hire as a scout.In short, Grier is his boss and probably interiewed him etc.

This is disturbing.

Incompetent people (Greir) shouldn't be part of the hiring process.

drs23
06-17-2010, 11:56 AM

As some of you know I'm kinda new at following the Texans closely year round, thus my question. After this comment and several mirroring the sentiment, what has this Greir fellow done that's so bad? Is he a leftover from the C&C days, throw somebody's Ganny on the tracks or what?

b0ng
06-17-2010, 12:47 PM
As some of you know I'm kinda new at following the Texans closely year round, thus my question. After this comment and several mirroring the sentiment, what has this Greir fellow done that's so bad? Is he a leftover from the C&C days, throw somebody's Ganny on the tracks or what?

Bobby Grier has been in charge of saying these particular players are okay to pay money for in free agency:

Anthony Weaver
Ahman Green
Todd Wade
Tony Bosseli
Eric Moulds
Robaire Smith
And more
He's in charge of Pro Scouting and he has done a bad job.

ArlingtonTexan
06-17-2010, 12:50 PM

I think he is sort of a whipping boy as the one connection between the two administrations. We overall have not done well in our free agent acquisitions (although a little better now), so much has been laid at his feet by a group here. Really he is a non-decision making administrator at this point so while not a defender of his I think he gets too much talk for a guy who oversees aspects scouting but is not even the top manager the pro side of things.

ArlingtonTexan
06-17-2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/FrontOffice.asp

Gardner, Brian Director of Pro Personnel
Grier, Bobby Associate Director of Pro Personnel
Murphy, Kevin Pro Scout
Wright, Larry Pro Scout
Strahm, Dale Director of College Scouting
Maccagnan, Mike College Scouting Coordinator
Ackerley, Mike College Scout
Carr, Jon College Scout
Cavanaugh, Ryan College Scout
Lambert, Ed College Scout
Martin, Mike College Scout
Merritt, Bob College Scout
Trott, Nathan College Scout

Grier is not even the top administrator on the Pro Side, much less is a decision maker.

ChampionTexan
06-17-2010, 01:07 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/FrontOffice.asp

Gardner, Brian Director of Pro Personnel
Grier, Bobby Associate Director of Pro Personnel
Murphy, Kevin Pro Scout
Wright, Larry Pro Scout
Strahm, Dale Director of College Scouting
Maccagnan, Mike College Scouting Coordinator
Ackerley, Mike College Scout
Carr, Jon College Scout
Cavanaugh, Ryan College Scout
Lambert, Ed College Scout
Martin, Mike College Scout
Merritt, Bob College Scout
Trott, Nathan College Scout

Grier is not even the top administrator on the Pro Side, much less is a decision maker.

And prior to Gardner, Grier worked under Chuck Banker, so while it's probably valid to criticize his performance, I don't believe he's ever been the top of the Pro Scouting department food chain.

drs23
06-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the follow up and background. I figured it had to have something to do with the "old days". ABTW, (edit) Granny ;^)

steelbtexan
06-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Greir has been the constant in 2 different regimes. That has led to some of the dumbest FA signings in NFL history.

The late great Joel Buschbaum ? Greir's qualifications when he was the GM of the Pats. I cant find the link. The C&C losing factory thought it would be a good idea to bring Greir on board to help build the the franchise on the pro personel side of the organization. What true impact FA has been signed since this franchises inception? In short Greir isn't very good at his job.

Dont give me Pollard. He fell into their laps.

JB
06-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Greir has been the constant in 2 different regimes. That has led to some of the dumbest FA signings in NFL history.

The late great Joel Buschbaum ? Greir's qualifications when he was the GM of the Pats. I cant find the link. The C&C losing factory thought it would be a good idea to bring Greir on board to help build the the franchise on the pro personel side of the organization. What true impact FA has been signed since this franchises inception? In short Greir isn't very good at his job.

Dont give me Pollard. He fell into their laps.

You also have to figure in trades. And to some degree, game preparation.

So, Walter, Antonio, Pollard, are a few who go on that ledger card. Yes, plenty of bad FA signings, but it doesn't all go on Greir. I am sure that Green was Sherman's choice. We don't know what Greir had to say about that.

As posted earlier, greir is a voice, not necessarily a loud one.

steelbtexan
06-21-2010, 05:41 PM
He was a loud voice in the previous regime.

The FA signings back then created the hole that Smithiak have yet to crawl out of. IMHO

Maddict5
06-21-2010, 06:12 PM
You also have to figure in trades. And to some degree, game preparation.

So, Walter, Antonio, Pollard, are a few who go on that ledger card. Yes, plenty of bad FA signings, but it doesn't all go on Greir. I am sure that Green was Sherman's choice. We don't know what Greir had to say about that.

As posted earlier, greir is a voice, not necessarily a loud one.

http://moretalk.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/matt-schaub.jpg

and also leach, andre davis, dreessen, butler, myers, zgonina, bentley, cody, reeves & wilson. granted not many on my list are standouts (apart from schaub) but most are solid contributors/ role players

Lucky
06-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Bobby Grier has been in charge of saying these particular players are okay to pay money for in free agency:
Bobby Grier has been a whipping boy on Texan fan forums for every poor decision the Texans have made. Despite the fact that no one knows how much juice he has in the organization. If any. Ridiculous. Blame the guys at the top when things go wrong. That's the honest thing to do.