PDA

View Full Version : Texans need to cut 5 players to make room for draft picks

beerlover
06-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Another fine piece from examiner blogger AJ Burge - http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m6d13-Texans-need-to-cut-5-players-to-make-room-for-draft-picks?cid=examiner-email

his list seems fair, although I'm hoping Texans stash Sheehan & Polk on PS.

London Crawford, WR
Kristian Matte, OG
Tyler Sheehan, QB
Mitch Unrein, DE
Malcolm Sheppard, DT
Pierre Singfield, CB
Pannel Egboh, DE
Adam Ulatoski, OT
Nick Polk, S
Jack Corcoran, FB
Jonathan Weeks, LS

ChampionTexan
06-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Another fine piece from examiner blogger AJ Burge - http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2010m6d13-Texans-need-to-cut-5-players-to-make-room-for-draft-picks?cid=examiner-email

his list seems fair, although I'm hoping Texans stash Sheehan & Polk on PS.

London Crawford, WR
Kristian Matte, OG
Tyler Sheehan, QB
Mitch Unrein, DE
Malcolm Sheppard, DT
Pierre Singfield, CB
Pannel Egboh, DE
Adam Ulatoski, OT
Nick Polk, S
Jack Corcoran, FB
Jonathan Weeks, LS

Keep in mind that there isn't a PS until after final cuts, but if they deem any of these guys as worthy of the PS, they will make it through until final cuts.

Lucky
06-13-2010, 12:33 PM
The Texans currently have 10 LBs on the roster. It will be difficult to get reps for that many, so I would guess one of the following would be on the hot seat:

Darrell Bing - Strictly a Will
Will Patterson - UDFA
Isiah Greenhouse - UDFA

If the Texans choose to go with only 3 QBs in camp, a decision between Sheenhan (UDFA) and Booty (less upside, more experienced) would be made.

With 7 OTs on the roster, one of these UDFAs will likely be released prior to camp:

Adam Ulatoski - Played both sides at UT
Cole Pemberton - Former Colorado State Ram (so he has that going for him)
Steve Maneri - TE conversion project (they love those guys)

8 DEs currently on the roster. Egboh and/or Unrein seem the likely choices to not see training camp.

The Texans only have one additional FB on the roster (Corcoran) to relieve Leach. I can't see him being released prior to camp, unless they pickup another FB.

beerlover
06-13-2010, 01:59 PM
The Texans only have one additional FB on the roster (Corcoran) to relieve Leach. I can't see him being released prior to camp, unless they pickup another FB.

what's Casey's status? seems he is always getting banged up but FB was supposed to be an option for him (listed 2nd on depth chart).

Lucky
06-13-2010, 02:02 PM
what's Casey's status?
I think he tweaked a knee. Even if he's healthy for camp, the Texans are thin at TE with Daniels, Dreessen an Hill banged up. They'll need a FB at camp to go with Leach (ala Boomer Grigsby last year).

painekiller
06-13-2010, 02:13 PM
I think he tweaked a knee. Even if he's healthy for camp, the Texans are thin at TE with Daniels, Dreessen an Hill banged up. They'll need a FB at camp to go with Leach (ala Boomer Grigsby last year).

He tweaked his groin.

beerlover
06-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Owen is going remain #1 TE w/Garrett Graham is understudy which spells trouble for Casey. Dreessen is strongside starting TE w/Anthony Hill his understudy. so unless things change Casey will be in a fight to back-up Leach, I can't see them going more than 5 deep @ TE position.

aj.
06-13-2010, 02:27 PM
I kept Greenhouse over Corcoran because Ike can play fullback and from reports, he's a special teams demon. Who knows.... and no one will care come August. There's not much to talk about.

rmartin65
06-13-2010, 07:51 PM
The Texans did a nice job with UDFAs this year, in my opinion. There are a handful of guys I am pretty excited about.

Greenhouse is a guy I asked my friend for tape on during the draft season because I heard about his beastfullness on special teams. Words really cant do him justice: the man is crazy (in the good way). He has a shot to stick on the 53 because of that, and his ability to backup LB and FB.

Maneri I had as a blocking TE, but the coached moved him to OT. We will see, but if he can put on the weight, I could see him making the PS.

Mitch Unrein, DE from Wyoming, is a player to keep an eye on. Not really a weight room specimen, but plays the game hard. A blue collar kind of player, really good at anchoring against the run, but struggles to rush the passer from the outside. I heard he is up to 300 pounds, so they might be looking at moving him to DT. If Unrein carries the extra weight well, he should have an above average first step for a DT, and could probably get a decent push up the middle.

Polk is a FS project. WR hands, but not really physical. Still, I had him graded out to the 6th round.

beerlover
06-14-2010, 12:32 AM
I kept Greenhouse over Corcoran because Ike can play fullback and from reports, he's a special teams demon. Who knows.... and no one will care come August. There's not much to talk about.

isn't NW State the same team which lost to UH 55-7? I didn't see anything positive for him or anyone else wearing white & black that day. I think both Greenhouse & Corcoran are just camp bodies.

just throwing this out but you know there is a Colorado State connection, hence Cole Pemberton, 6'7" 316 OT very tall, angular specimen with long wingspan. could make the PS as a developmental swing tackle.

CTWade
06-14-2010, 12:42 AM
London Crawford, WR
Kristian Matte, OG
Tyler Sheehan, QB
Mitch Unrein, DE
Malcolm Sheppard, DT
Pierre Singfield, CB
Pannel Egboh, DE
Adam Ulatoski, OT
Nick Polk, S
Jack Corcoran, FB
Jonathan Weeks, LS

I didn't know any of these guys were even on the team. Learn something new everyday.

aj.
06-14-2010, 02:45 AM
just throwing this out but you know there is a Colorado State connection, hence Cole Pemberton, 6'7" 316 OT very tall, angular specimen with long wingspan. could make the PS as a developmental swing tackle.

That's why you don't see him on my cut list.

V3rm0nt3r
06-14-2010, 08:45 AM
That's why you don't see him on my cut list.

Where is said cut list?

ChampionTexan
06-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Where is said cut list?

In the OP, and the linked article.

rmartin65
06-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Re-reading your article and taking another look at your at risk players, these would be my cuts:

London Crawford, WR, Arkansas

Reason: The team is stacked at receiver already. Dickerson will serve as our developmental player at the position, with Johnson, Jones, Walter getting a majority of playing time, with Anderson, Martinez and Davis competing for the remaining spot(s) at receiver.

Malcolm Sheppard, DT/DE, Arkansas

Reason: A DE/DT tweener is going to be cut before camp, and it is going to come from the 3 you mentioned, Sheppard, Pannel Egboh (Stanford- 2009 PS) or Mitch Unrein (Wyoming). As stated in an above post, I think Unrein makes the PS. He has enough athleticism, and hustles on every play. Between Sheppard and Egboh, Sheppard did play in a better conference, but Egboh has a year of experience in the system, and has the edge athletically.

Adam Ulatoski, OT, Texas

Reason: Again, a player from this position has to be cut. Ulatoski is the least impressive OT on the roster, and is both too tall and too weak to make the switch to OG.

The cuts get harder after those first 3...

Pierre Singfield, CB, Arizona State

Reason: Once again, its about position depth. The Texans have a great problem, that being a plethora of young corners. Add in the first round pick to the likes of Quinn, McCain, Reeves, McMannis, and Molden, and they are pretty set at the corner position.

And even harder to find the final cut. I am actually going to split from your list (even though I readily admit that you are far wiser than I), and cut

John David Booty, QB, USC

Reason: Between Sheehan and Booty, I like Sheehan for this offense better.

rmartin65
06-14-2010, 09:15 AM
In the OP, and the linked article.

Thats an "at risk" list, as aj states that 5 need to be cut for the rookies. More will be cut later, but just to make room for the drafted guys, 5 need to go.

ChampionTexan
06-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Thats an "at risk" list, as aj states that 5 need to be cut for the rookies. More will be cut later, but just to make room for the drafted guys, 5 need to go.

And just to clarify a bit more, these are cuts that will need to be made as we sign the currently unsigned draft picks. None are necessary at this moment.

badboy
06-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Owen is going remain #1 TE w/Garrett Graham is understudy which spells trouble for Casey. Dreessen is strongside starting TE w/Anthony Hill his understudy. so unless things change Casey will be in a fight to back-up Leach, I can't see them going more than 5 deep @ TE position.If Casey is not a significant contributor this season, I will be even more upset he was selected over running backs in the draft.

Rey
06-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Owen is going remain #1 TE w/Garrett Graham is understudy which spells trouble for Casey. Dreessen is strongside starting TE w/Anthony Hill his understudy. so unless things change Casey will be in a fight to back-up Leach, I can't see them going more than 5 deep @ TE position.

Honestly, I do not think OD is in the Texans definite long term plans at TE...

If he does not come back and show that he is capable of playing like he did pre-injury then I think we may let him go...

Honestly, I would not be surprised if they traded him before the season started.

He has a injury history with his knee, and I think that the Texans can get high production from that position with or without Owen Daniels.

If it were me, I would probably trade OD for a good DT

GuerillaBlack
06-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Honestly, I do not think OD is in the Texans definite long term plans at TE...

If he does not come back and show that he is capable of playing like he did pre-injury then I think we may let him go...

Honestly, I would not be surprised if they traded him before the season started.

He has a injury history with his knee, and I think that the Texans can get high production from that position with or without Owen Daniels.

If it were me, I would probably trade OD for a good DT

People say that about our offense, but I think having Owen Daniels in there opens it up so much more. He was Schaub's safety net before getting injured, and his skill set is better than any TE we have on the roster. I think our season could have ended up with a few extra Ws if OD was healthy.

infantrycak
06-14-2010, 06:03 PM
He has a injury history with his knee

This is his first injury to this knee.

painekiller
06-14-2010, 11:37 PM
This is his first injury to this knee.

He hurt both knees in college, i think that is the history that is being discussed.

JB
06-14-2010, 11:40 PM
He hurt both knees in college, i think that is the history that is being discussed.

IIRC he hurt his left knee in HS, and then again as a Senior in College. The Injury in college was both his ACL and MCL.

infantrycak
06-15-2010, 11:00 AM

IIRC he hurt his left knee in HS, and then again as a Senior in College. The Injury in college was both his ACL and MCL.

That's correct. He injured the same knee in HS and then college. This injury is to the other knee which had not previously been injured.

beerlover
06-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Kubiak did mention they will need to make 5 or 6 cuts to get down to 88. which means 80 on regular roster & 8 for practice sqaud (if I understand him right)?

http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html

aj.
06-15-2010, 01:55 PM
The roster limit is 80 under contract and the Texans are currently at 80. There is no practice squad until after the final cuts in early sept.

rmartin65
06-15-2010, 02:02 PM
The roster limit is 80 under contract and the Texans are currently at 80. There is no practice squad until after the final cuts in early sept.

aj, you posted your list of at risk players. Who do you see being the 5 who get cut for the draft picks?

dalemurphy
06-15-2010, 03:54 PM

Three ACL tears in about 7 years. The real problem is not the torn ACLs. ACL transplants have become very routine and can often strengthen the knee stability 120% from what it was before the injury. The real problem is that each traumatic knee injury a knee receives is likely to cause a loss of cartilidge. Cartilidge loss leads to chronic problems and often ends careers: Terrell Davis, Dominick Davis, Kellen Winslow (soon), and many others.

CloakNNNdagger
06-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Kubiak stated that some cuts would come BY the end of this week.

aj.
06-15-2010, 07:24 PM
aj, you posted your list of at risk players. Who do you see being the 5 who get cut for the draft picks?

Not sure but most if not all will be UDFAs that were signed in April......can't see them cutting a vet unless it's a second year guy like a Egboh or Jamison

TheRealJoker
06-15-2010, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran like Andre Davis get cut. Some would think it's too soon to cut a guy like that but Kubiak has been known to cut players like that (most recently Ryan Moats) early to give them the best chance of latching on to another team.

rmartin65
06-15-2010, 09:47 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a veteran like Andre Davis get cut. Some would think it's too soon to cut a guy like that but Kubiak has been known to cut players like that (most recently Ryan Moats) early to give them the best chance of latching on to another team.

I see a trade happening involving Davis. He is worth a late pick somewhere, he just has to be.

TheRealJoker
06-15-2010, 09:49 PM
I see a trade happening involving Davis. He is worth a late pick somewhere, he just has to be.

He's getting a little too old to be trade bait imo. But stranger things have happened...

rmartin65
06-15-2010, 09:55 PM
He's getting a little too old to be trade bait imo. But stranger things have happened...

Eh, thats a valid point. I guess we will see relatively soon.

JB
06-15-2010, 10:12 PM

Big difference. Davis is a big special teams player. Moats, no.

ChampionTexan
06-15-2010, 10:25 PM

Eh, thats a valid point. I guess we will see relatively soon.

And his contract is not particularly trade friendly. $2.5 Million this year, and $4.7 Million in 2011.

TheRealJoker
06-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Big difference. Davis is a big special teams player. Moats, no.

Davis' contract makes up for Moats' lack of special teams contribution.

littlecat
06-17-2010, 04:15 AM
Where is said cut list?

I also want to see the cut list.:devilpig:

beerlover
06-18-2010, 01:57 AM
seems like the Texans are down to about four left to reach 80 if they sign all their draft picks. high probability those gone in latest wave would be Steve Maneri LT Brett Helms Center & DE's Mitch Unrein and Panell Egboh. just a guess nothing official yet.

aj.
06-18-2010, 07:28 AM
seems like the Texans are down to about four left to reach 80 if they sign all their draft picks. high probability those gone in latest wave would be Steve Maneri LT Brett Helms Center & DE's Mitch Unrein and Panell Egboh. just a guess nothing official yet.

By my unofficial count they have 77 under contract with 4 to sign, meaning they are 1 over. I find that odd, but I counted guys under contract about 4 different ways and still came up with 77. I may be overlooking something.

Edit: The apparent roster overage of 1 might be because Cushing's roster exemption is already in effect. I'm checking with the league to confirm or deny that possibility...

Carr Bombed
06-18-2010, 07:34 AM
I also want to see the cut list.:devilpig:

Hey Mods........seriously, can we just ban this fool already?

I mean all you have to do is pull up his post history to realize that he's here for one reason and one reason only (and that is to pimp jerseys). He's not a Texan fan and doesn't give a crap about this site. He's just trying to turn a buck.

BAN THIS FOOL ALREADY.

aj.
06-18-2010, 08:28 AM

rmartin65
06-18-2010, 09:53 AM

Really? You did not like Maneri and Unrein? Those 2 were some of the guys I was most excited about when we picked them up as UDFAs.

Although, looking through the roster, most of the UDFAs have been cut already. Only a few remaining.

infantrycak
06-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey Mods........seriously, can we just ban this fool already?

I mean all you have to do is pull up his post history to realize that he's here for one reason and one reason only (and that is to pimp jerseys). He's not a Texan fan and doesn't give a crap about this site. He's just trying to turn a buck.

BAN THIS FOOL ALREADY.

He has been advised to change his signature and contribute or he will be gone.

aj.
06-18-2010, 11:30 AM
... looking through the roster, most of the UDFAs have been cut already. Only a few remaining.

Eight of the 15 UDFA's are still on the roster...Pemberton, Maneri, Unrein, Sheppard, Greenhouse, Singfield, T. Williams, Polk. They don't have to cut anyone if Cushing's roster exemption is already in effect.