PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Moats waived

J_R
06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
McClain_on_NFL

Texans waived RB Ryan Moats today. Coach Gary Kubiak said last week a back would be cut before training camp.

JB
06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Well, at least it gives him a good chance to find a job with another team. He didn't really have much of a shot here. I would not be surprised to see Henry cut at the end of camp.

JWarren14
06-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Damn I really liked Moats, I wonder how Jermiah Johnson is looking.

Foster
Tate
Slaton
Johnson (PS?)

pbat488
06-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Youngest. RB. Corps. Ever.... and. CBs....

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 06:02 PM
YES!....THANK GOD!

Seriously, I never ever understood what people saw in him. There are backs sitting on the waiver wire during every season that could give you what a Ryan Moats could give you. (which isn't much at all)

When you have a "Ryan Moats" on your roster it means you need ALOT of help and depth at the RB position. I'm glad to see him go, it means we're finally moving in the right direction.

Thorn
06-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Not surprised by Moats leaving early, I kind of expected it with Foster coming on like he has.

m5kwatts
06-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Damn I really liked Moats, I wonder how Jermiah Johnson is looking.

Foster
Tate
Slaton
Johnson (PS?)

My first thought was "wow they see more in Jeremiah Johnson than Ryan Moats." Not that I thought Moats was anything special but its still surprising to see that an undrafted guy missing his rookie season coming off of major surgery would beat out a guy who rushed for 100+ yards and 3 tds in a game the previous season.

hot pickle
06-10-2010, 06:06 PM
ughhhhhhh

J_R
06-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Steve Slaton
Ben Tate
Arian Foster
Jeremiah Johnson
Chris Henry

rmartin65
06-10-2010, 06:15 PM
I thought for sure that Henry would be cut before Moats. Interesting, I guess they like what they see in him thus far, and think they can get his athleticism to come through in game action.

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 06:26 PM
I thought for sure that Henry would be cut before Moats. Interesting, I guess they like what they see in him thus far, and think they can get his athleticism to come through in game action.

Or maybe they'd rather roll with a unknown commodity than a guy who is a below average backup in today's NFL.

Moats was absolutely nothing special and has very, VERY little upside.

In the NFL, to be successful and have legit value, you either need to be big and physical, or have decent size and decent speed, with great vision, or be small and very fast.

Moats had none of those 3 makeups. Like I said last offseason.....If Moats is on this final roster, that's not good news for Texans' fans.

rmartin65
06-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Or maybe they'd rather roll with a unknown commodity than a guy who is a below average backup in today's NFL.

In the NFL, to be successful and have legit value, you either need to be big and physical, or have decent size and decent speed, with great vision, or be small and very fast.

Moats had none of those 3 makeups. Like I said last offseason.....If Moats is on this final roster, that's not good news for Texans' fans.

I think you are undervaluing Moats. He is a capable back-up, in my opinion. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry behind a very lackluster line. Sure he may not be very flashy, or have upside, but he can be plugged in and the offense wont crumble.

Norg
06-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Sucks that he fumbled on the two yard line last year vs the colts : I

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I think you are undervaluing Moats. He is a capable back-up, in my opinion. He averaged 3.9 yards per carry behind a very lackluster line. Sure he may not be very flashy, or have upside, but he can be plugged in and the offense wont crumble.

LOL, that last sentence doesn't constitute a good backup in today's league.

Texan fans overvalued Moats......look around at other teams in this league and look at what they roll with for depth. We need to get to the point where a "Ryan Moats" has no place on this roster. (and hopefully we did this offseason)

Any capable back who won't fall on his face when handed the ball can come into this offense and it won't crumble. (that isn't saying much at all) WE HAVE THE BEST PASSING OFFENSE IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. Teams aren't exactly zeroing in on our running game.....I mean it's not like we're the Tenn Titans here. Last season our starter sucked balls and Moats had Chris Brown and a UDFA rookie to compete with. Guess what..he still couldn't take advantage, because he isn't nearly as good or valuable as some people on this site thought/think he was.

Oh well, now he's off the roster and we can give a young guy a chance (which I'm really excited about).....young guys who haven't had a shot yet, atleast bring something new to the table and have more upside.

b0ng
06-10-2010, 06:44 PM
The surprise for me here is that they kept Henry over Moats. I wonder just what they see in ol Chris Henry.

Brisco_County
06-10-2010, 06:50 PM
His huge game against Buffalo and the splash it made in fantasy leagues is the real reason this is being discussed. I personally thought Johnson would be waived, but this doesn't surprise me either.

A friend of mine bartended in the LSU area years ago and said that Moats is the nicest guy in the world. Too bad he couldn't make the cut.

JB
06-10-2010, 06:50 PM
The surprise for me here is that they kept Henry over Moats. I wonder just what they see in ol Chris Henry.

As I mentioned before, I think they cut Moats this early so he could find another team. Henry is camp fodder and will be cut at the end of camp. JJ probably goes to the PS.

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 06:59 PM
His huge game against Buffalo and the splash it made in fantasy leagues is the real reason this is being discussed. I personally thought Johnson would be waived, but this doesn't surprise me either.

A friend of mine bartended in the LSU area years ago and said that Moats is the nicest guy in the world. Too bad he couldn't make the cut.

Just a question here.....but "WHO" didn't run wild on the Bills last season? They were god awful last season.

Don't get me wrong...I have nothing personal against Moats and everything I've read about the dude said he was a GREAT GUY and I really felt for him when he ran into that moron cop up in Dallas, but being a great class act has little to do with securing a roster spot on a good team (which hopefully is what we'll be next season)

gary
06-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Maybe JJ will have a good camp and make the choice a hard one.

Maddict5
06-10-2010, 07:15 PM
like others, im surprised they sent him packing before Johnson & especially henry. im guessing they're looking further down the road (probably only keeping foster, slaton & tate on the 53) and practice squad eligibility factored into the decision.

moats shouldnt be that big a loss but he helped us win the bills game last year so thanks for that

ATXtexanfan
06-10-2010, 07:15 PM
that was as an easy one to predict

Maddict5
06-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Just a question here.....but "WHO" didn't run wild on the Bills last season? They were god awful last season.

Don't get me wrong...I have nothing personal against Moats and everything I've read about the dude said he was a GREAT GUY and I really felt for him when he ran into that moron cop up in Dallas, but being a great class act has little to do with securing a roster spot on a good team (which hopefully is what we'll be next season)

then dont destroy him. people are only curious as to why hes gone before henry when hes done alot more than henry who, coming into yr 4? has the look of a complete bust, as i cant remember him even seeing the field. like i said PS eligibility factored into the decision imo

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 07:31 PM
then dont destroy him. people are only curious as to why hes gone before henry when hes done alot more than henry who, coming into yr 4? has the look of a complete bust, as i cant remember him even seeing the field. like i said PS eligibility factored into the decision imo

Umm, I didn't "destroy him"....stop being so sensitive.

And I agree with you that PS eligibility factored into this, because a player like Moats listed 4th on your depth chart is a absolute waste.

Last season Moats was behind Slaton and Brown and ahead of Foster who was our "development guy". The 4th guy on the depth chart SHOULD BE A DEVELOPMENTAL GUY and SHOULD have PS eligibility. Once Moats fell to that spot this season, he isn't worth a spot, because there's absolutely zero upside with him. He's already developed into the player that he's ever going to be in the NFL....which means he's always going to be the #4 guy on a team with decent depth. Which is why he's gone and no longer here, because teams want a player in that spot who has the potential to be more. Which Foster was last season and it's paying off this season, cause now he's taken Moats job and might be pushing for more. Now they'll let two more young guys duel it out to see who can step into that developmental spot that Foster held last season.

Texan_Bill
06-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Meh!! Thanks for your efforts Ryan and good luck to you.

He served his role well, but his role isn't needed anymore. Time to move on..

Maddict5
06-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Umm, I didn't "destroy him"....stop being so sensitive.

it was an exaggeration- you know like posting a big bolded 'YES THANK GOD!' when a good guy (but only average nfl player) loses his job. Classy.

edit: that post just got funnier after i read the studdard injury thread :rolleyes:

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
it was an exaggeration- you know like posting a big bolded 'YES THANK GOD!' when a good guy (but only average nfl player) loses his job. Classy.

edit: that post just got funnier after i read the studdard injury thread :rolleyes:

How did it "get funnier"?......Ryan Moats is COMPLETELY HEALTHY and Studdard hurt his knee. Nice, backwards comparison there.

Also when I say YES THANK GOD, it means YES WE'RE FINALLY DEVELOPING DEPTH THAT DOESN'T ALLOW PLAYERS THE CALIBER OF MOATS TO GET A ROSTER SPOT. (Which is a step in the right direction if you're a Texan fan) As in the caliber of players that are available on the vet FA waiver wire EVERY YEAR. Which is where Moats finds himself now.

P.S.

Ryan Moats is a below average player at his position, another reason why it's good that he's getting beat out....and he didn't "lose his job", he got beat out....if that bothers you so much, watch another sport, because this is what happens to fringe NFL players during NFL offseasons. (Still waiting for the day when Myers "gets beat out".)

infantrycak
06-10-2010, 08:47 PM
Texan fans overvalued Moats......look around at other teams in this league and look at what they roll with for depth. We need to get to the point where a "Ryan Moats" has no place on this roster. (and hopefully we did this offseason)

That's a joke. We are talking 3rd RB at best. But clearly he isn't as good as Alvin Pearman in TN with his 5 years and 58 carries or Mike Hart in Indy or Montel Owens of the Jags. But clearly Ryan Moats is unfit to make a roster as depth. I'm not complaining about his release but acting like he isn't quality depth is unrealistic.

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 08:58 PM
That's a joke. We are talking 3rd RB at best. But clearly he isn't as good as Alvin Pearman in TN with his 5 years and 58 carries or Mike Hart in Indy or Montel Owens of the Jags. But clearly Ryan Moats is unfit to make a roster as depth. I'm not complaining about his release but acting like he isn't quality depth is unrealistic.

LOL, you might want to go read this post...

And I agree with you that PS eligibility factored into this, because a player like Moats listed 4th on your depth chart is a absolute waste.

Last season Moats was behind Slaton and Brown and ahead of Foster who was our "development guy". The 4th guy on the depth chart SHOULD BE A DEVELOPMENTAL GUY and SHOULD have PS eligibility. Once Moats fell to that spot this season, he isn't worth a spot, because there's absolutely zero upside with him. He's already developed into the player that he's ever going to be in the NFL....which means he's always going to be the #4 guy on a team with decent depth. Which is why he's gone and no longer here, because teams want a player in that spot who has the potential to be more. Which Foster was last season and it's paying off this season, cause now he's taken Moats job and might be pushing for more. Now they'll let two more young guys duel it out to see who can step into that developmental spot that Foster held last season.

Before you start pulling up players like Hart (who was a very productive college player and now the Colts' developmental RB...what's next are you going to pull up Ringer in Tenn or Blount?...how about the small school project Karim that the Jags drafted). Pearman is a career cast off who the Titans picked up last season....a team that doesn't have much behind Chris Johnson, how does that help your argument again (They were throwing bodies at the position just like we were), and Montel Owens is a backup fullback.

Acting like he isn't quality depth IS realistic (because he's never been a quality backup in his career), because my point is he isn't good quality depth on a team that is DEEP AT THE RB POSITION....which hopefully with Slaton, Tate, and Foster the Texans now are. The Texans can be the deepest team at the tailback position in the AFC South now... they have no need for a player like Moats. If they did, he would still be here...Texan fans should be glad that Moats and Brown are gone.

Again, another Texan fan overvaluing Ryan Moats and how easy it is to find a player who could put up the production that Ryan Moats put up here. (since when was this guy ever a top rotational back in the NFL?) There are Ryan Moats type players sitting on their coach during every season.

b0ng
06-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Slapfight about Ryan Moats:

ENGAGED

Maddict5
06-10-2010, 09:05 PM
How did it "get funnier"?......Ryan Moats is COMPLETELY HEALTHY and Studdard hurt his knee. Nice, backwards comparison there.

Also when I say YES THANK GOD, it means YES WE'RE FINALLY DEVELOPING DEPTH THAT DOESN'T ALLOW PLAYERS THE CALIBER OF MOATS TO GET A ROSTER SPOT. (Which is a step in the right direction if you're a Texan fan) As in the caliber of players that are available on the vet FA waiver wire EVERY YEAR. Which is where Moats finds himself now.

P.S.

Ryan Moats is a below average player at his position, another reason why it's good that he's getting beat out....and he didn't "lose his job", he got beat out....if that bothers you so much, watch another sport, because this is what happens to fringe NFL players during NFL offseasons. (Still waiting for the day when Myers "gets beat out".)

whatever. i have no real problem with moats getting cut. i was just smh at your reaction to it. you obviously cant see the contradiction of preaching to somebody who was glad studdard got injured while simultaneously posting that ^ in another thread about a guy getting cut. i didnt think it was that difficult

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 09:09 PM
whatever. i have no real problem with moats getting cut. i was just smh at your reaction to it. you obviously cant see the contradiction of preaching to somebody who was glad studdard got injured while simultaneously posting that ^ in another thread about a guy getting cut. i didnt think it was that difficult

LOL... You honestly think a guy who loses his job while completely healthy is the same as a guy who messes up his knee, has to have a surgical procedure to fix it, and all the rehab that goes along with that.

WOW... If you can't see the difference in those scenarios, then I can't help you. This wasn't a "YES, MOATS HURT HIS KNEE AND IS NOW GONE THREAD!"

See the difference...probably not.

gary
06-10-2010, 09:23 PM
A, B, I think I'll just C my way out now.

Goldensilence
06-10-2010, 09:24 PM

I agree. I'm not saying Ryan Moats isn't a stand up person or a great guy, perhaps that's why the cut him so early to give him a chance to get with another team. I hope he does.

I don't see the surprise myself really. Moats is an average 3rd down back. Henry might be more raw, but he also has a ton of upside.

Maddict5
06-10-2010, 09:28 PM
LOL... You honestly think a guy who loses his job while completely healthy is the same as a guy who messes up his knee, has to have a surgical procedure to fix it, and all the rehab that goes along with that.

WOW... If you can't see the difference in those scenarios, then I can't help you. This wasn't a "YES, MOATS HURT HIS KNEE AND IS NOW GONE THREAD!"

See the difference...probably not.

1. despite your conspiracy theory, studdards injury is minor & hes expected back in 2-3 weeks
2. try & twist the facts/change the argument any way you want but bottom line you were happy an average/below average player got off the team while at the same time criticising somebody else who was happy an average/below average player got out of the starting lineup, even if it was injury. At least be consistent. BTW even if studdards was injured more seriously, hes still gonna be paid this year, moats isnt

Maddict5
06-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't see the surprise myself really. Moats is an average 3rd down back. Henry might be more raw, but he also has a ton of upside.

really? even at this stage going into yr 4 or whatever it is. he has no pedigree whatsoever. did nothing in college & nothing in the nfl. of course you could be right but at this point all hes done is have a good combine. id call his upside middling at best

Goldensilence
06-10-2010, 09:45 PM
really? even at this stage going into yr 4 or whatever it is. he has no pedigree whatsoever. did nothing in college & nothing in the nfl. of course you could be right but at this point all hes done is have a good combine. id call his upside middling at best

Define pedigree. Unless you mean track record of success?

If that's the case I mean Moats has a moderate amount of success as a 3rd down back. He's had a few good games between here and Philly, but nothing sustained.

I'm talking about far as measureables go Henry has Moats beat.

Must be the off-season because I don't see why some people are being so indignant about some of the comments being made about Ryan Moats.

Class act individual, but just didn't have what it took to make the cut on THIS team.

I might not agree exactly with Carr-Bombed but when you can afford to cut an average 3rd down back like Moats... it's a good sign for the overall depth on the team.

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 09:46 PM
1. despite your conspiracy theory, studdards injury is minor & hes expected back in 2-3 weeks
2. try & twist the facts/change the argument any way you want but bottom line you were happy an average/below average player got off the team while at the same time criticising somebody else who was happy an average/below average player got out of the starting lineup, even if it was injury. At least be consistent. BTW even if studdards was injured more seriously, hes still gonna be paid this year, moats isnt

LOL....HAHAHAHAHA

WHAT??? :woot2

What kind of argument is this? So now it's a "conspiracy theory" to suggest the Texans are sketchy about their injury reports. Okay...I thought that was called par for course, as in what they've done throughout their history, but whatever that's not even the point

Nice try at trying to scramble the facts of the discussion (a discussion that you created)...which was you trying to compare someone's opinion in a thread about a player who sadly hurt his knee when he was going to possibly be named a starter to another thread where a player was a absolute healthy scratch and NEVER HAD HOPES OF BEING A STARTER.

Until you can answer this question...(because you are the one who created the comparison)

Please don't respond. Your comparison is like saying someone who cheers for the assassination of a president (or a president who is relived of duties due to medical reasons) that he didn't like is the EXACT SAME as another person who was glad to see a president he didn't think was qualified get beat out during a election. It's absolutely ridiculous, there's is absolutely no comparison, LOL.

Would I have liked to see someone have the opportunity to BEAT Studdard out...yes, but sadly that might not happen.

b0ng
06-10-2010, 09:46 PM

Honestly I view Henry and Moats as about the same in terms of talent, and really, Moats has done more for the team than Henry has ever. Chris Henry has done absolutely nothing outside of his rookie year. I don't see the upside.

Maddict5
06-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Define pedigree. Unless you mean track record of success?

If that's the case I mean Moats has a moderate amount of success as a 3rd down back. He's had a few good games between here and Philly, but nothing sustained.

I'm talking about far as measureables go Henry has Moats beat.

Must be the off-season because I don't see why some people are being so indignant about some of the comments being made about Ryan Moats.

Class act individual, but just didn't have what it took to make the cut on THIS team.

I might not agree exactly with Carr-Bombed but when you can afford to cut an average 3rd down back like Moats... it's a good sign for the overall depth on the team.

ya i meant track record. moats has a HoF career compared to henry in that regard. i mean the guy has 120 yd & 2tds his whole career. moats beat both those in one game alone last yr.

also, id have no problem with the general gist of CB's post either if he didnt put the yes thank god part of it. totally unnecessary and uncalled for a guy like moats.

LOL....HAHAHAHAHA

WHAT??? :woot2

What kind of argument is this? So now it's a "conspiracy theory" to suggest the Texans are sketchy about their injury reports. Okay...I thought that was called par for course, but whatever that's not even the point

Nice try at trying to scramble the facts of the discussion...which was you trying to compare someone's opinion in a thread about a player who sadly hurt his knee when he was going to possibly be named a starter to another thread where a player was a absolute healthy scratch and HAD NO HOPES OF BEING A STARTER.

Until you can answer this question...(because you are the one who created the comparison)

Please don't respond. Your comparison is like saying someone who cheers for the assassination of a president (or a president who is relived of duties due to medical reasons) he didn't like is the EXACT SAME as another person who was glad to see a president he didn't think was qualified get beat out during a election. It's absolutely ridiculous, there's is absolutely no comparison, LOL.

lol dont worry im done with this. obviously thats exactly what im saying. a presidential assassination is the perfect comparison for studdards minor knee injury :lol:

for the record- i wasnt glad about either. i not happy about any texans player getting injuries or getting cut unless they're complete dipshits which we generally dont have to begin with

Lucky
06-10-2010, 10:15 PM
That's a joke. We are talking 3rd RB at best. But clearly he isn't as good as ...Montel Owens of the Jags.
Montel is a pretty good special teams player. I though Moats was OK, too. But, Kubiak was loathe to play him on 3rd down due to Moats' inability to pickup the blitz. I think that's the major reason Moats was released.

JB
06-10-2010, 10:32 PM
This is just the first of the releases...

Texans hv 80 players under contract (max). 7 are unsigned - meaning (starting w/Mitchell) for every one signed, another will be released.

http://twitter.com/ajtexans

drs23
06-10-2010, 10:40 PM
This is just the first of the releases...

http://twitter.com/ajtexans

JB,

Thanks for pointing that out, it'd slipped my mind. Good thing to be getting to this point in regards to depth.

JB
06-10-2010, 10:44 PM
JB,

Thanks for pointing that out, it'd slipped my mind. Good thing to be getting to this point in regards to depth.

Yep. We may release some UDFA's we signed earlier, but I bet there will be a few surprises. /Some vets released early so that they can try to find another team. Chris White maybe? Anyone you are thinking?

thunderkyss
06-10-2010, 10:49 PM

Henry is no longer PS eligible. Jeremiah Johnson is the only one left, who is.

I think they let Moats go, because Foster & Slaton, at the very least will be able to provide what Moats did. (& I am a Moats fan). People will bad mouth me, but Henry (while he may be a bust) still has upside we haven't seen yet.

Same thing with Jeremiah Johnson. I believe Kubiak & crew were higher on him than they were on Foster. They won't let him go, without seeing him on the field.

If Henry can make it healthy through the preseason, he'll make the 53, unless JJ blows the doors off.

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 10:54 PM
ya i meant track record. moats has a HoF career compared to henry in that regard. i mean the guy has 120 yd & 2tds his whole career. moats beat both those in one game alone last yr.

also, id have no problem with the general gist of CB's post either if he didnt put the yes thank god part of it. totally unnecessary and uncalled for a guy like moats.

lol dont worry im done with this. obviously thats exactly what im saying. a presidential assassination is the perfect comparison for studdards minor knee injury :lol:

for the record- i wasnt glad about either. i not happy about any texans player getting injuries or getting cut unless they're complete dipshits which we generally dont have to begin with

It's a better comparison that you offered...which is why "you're done with it".

Seriously who could you even say my post about Studdard was remotely relevant to the post I made about Moats? That was just off the wall. I'll never root for a injury and these threads have absolutely NOTHING to do with eachother.

drs23
06-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Yep. We may release some UDFA's we signed earlier, but I bet there will be a few surprises. /Some vets released early so that they can try to find another team. Chris White maybe? Anyone you are thinking?

I agree. There will be a much different roster on opening day, and yes, suprises.

Chris White perhaps, competion is on for KB, and Fred Benett almost a foredrawn conclusion. We'll see.

b0ng
06-10-2010, 11:06 PM

I think (unfortunately) that Deljuan Robinson doesn't make it. Not because of his talent or production on the field, just because this staff has slighted him over and over.

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Just to prove I'm consistent...this is the view I had about Moats LAST SEASON....which looks like the moves that we're making THIS SEASON. (except for Johnson's role, but this post was before he was injured)

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1217376&postcount=12

Ryan Moats could've been replaced last season if Houston had any depth whatsoever. Again grade A guy...fringe NFL player, and that's the truth.

Maddict5
06-10-2010, 11:21 PM
It's a better comparison that you offered...which is why "you're done with it".

Seriously who could you even say my post about Studdard was remotely relevant to the post I made about Moats? That was just off the wall. I'll never root for a injury and these threads have absolutely NOTHING to do with eachother.

i thought we were leaving it. so you cant see how one person being happy we let go of one of our weaker rbs is similiar to another guy being happy that the weakest player on last yrs line had a minor injury which increases the chances of one of our new guys taking his place (as they'll get more reps). everything you said about moats could be said about kasey only G at the moment is a pretty big weakness/unknown on this team. neither of ye were being personal but just that these are pretty replaceable players.

Just to prove I'm consistent...this is the view I had about Moats LAST SEASON....which looks like the moves that we're making THIS SEASON. (except for Johnson's role, but this post was before he was injured)

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1217376&postcount=12

Ryan Moats could've been replaced last season if Houston had any depth whatsoever. Again grade A guy...fringe NFL player, and that's the truth.

that is the truth. no disagreement whatsoever but since hes such a grade A guy do you think the big bolded 'YES THANK GOD' was appropriate or necessary to make your point. or was it just to grab attention?

76Texan
06-10-2010, 11:35 PM
I've never had problem with CB's wanting the best player possible at a position (even as his own way of seeing how to build a team is different than mine, hey there are different ways to skin a cat).

I'm irked sometimes though, at the way he "sometimes" treat a player as a piece of meat (which is brutally true - if you want to).

It's one way to build a business with a good percentage of being successful.
I wouldn't frequent that business, I wouldn't boycott it either.

I wouldn't thank god that a guy lost his job, even though I had said from the beginning that I don't see Moats as the long-term solution.
I would rather thank him for whatever service he was able to contribute while he was here (like many posters here) and move on.

Why do we need to burn a bridge when we don't have to?

b0ng
06-10-2010, 11:37 PM

Sometimes we like to set the bridge on fire and see if we can use our pee to put it out.

beerlover
06-11-2010, 01:11 AM

there are consequences for actions intended or not, kinda like Sage :roflcopter:

SteveSlaton20
06-11-2010, 02:05 AM
now get rid of chris henry.

BIG TORO
06-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Ohh well I was a moats fan, I felt like he ran hard but Im not a scout or coach and I bet they know what there doing.

thunderkyss
06-11-2010, 08:51 AM
I've never had problem with CB's wanting the best player possible at a position (even as his own way of seeing how to build a team is different than mine, hey there are different ways to skin a cat).

I'm irked sometimes though, at the way he "sometimes" treat a player as a piece of meat (which is brutally true - if you want to).

It's one way to build a business with a good percentage of being successful.
I wouldn't frequent that business, I wouldn't boycott it either.

I wouldn't thank god that a guy lost his job, even though I had said from the beginning that I don't see Moats as the long-term solution.
I would rather thank him for whatever service he was able to contribute while he was here (like many posters here) and move on.

Oh... you're saying you would handle the situation with class.

HOU-TEX
06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Thanks, Moats

NitroGSXR
06-11-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm always saddened when we lose a class act. I.e. Jason Simmons, DDW, Payne, etc and now Ryan Moats...

Thanks for the hard work, Moats. Much respect.

gary
06-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Moats will find another job so I am not worried and I am sure he is not.

El Tejano
06-11-2010, 10:06 AM
I think PS eligibility was part of it. JJ is still eligible. Chris Henry is either a bigger body or he's camp fodder so that's why he stayed.

I also believe that as a coach this is a message that's been sent to the younger guys:

A VETERAN JUST GOT CUT AND SO CAN YOU!

NitroGSXR
06-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I think PS eligibility was part of it. JJ is still eligible. Chris Henry is either a bigger body or he's camp fodder so that's why he stayed.

I also believe that as a coach this is a message that's been sent to the younger guys:

A VETERAN JUST GOT CUT AND SO CAN YOU!

Haha. Cutting Ryan Moats isn't much of a message.

thunderkyss
06-11-2010, 10:58 AM
I think, because we know which three running backs we'll be relying on mostly this year, Moats was expendable. We have some young guys to groom in Johnson, and Henry is the only guy comparable to Foster in size. If Tate can prove to be that short yardage, hard yardge guy, in addition to Foster, Henry won't be long for this team either.

BSofA04
06-11-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm sure that someone has brought this up before, but Ryan Moats was way more productive than Chris Henry!!! I'm confused as to why we let go of a productive back and kept a "big" back that hasn't proven himself on the field.

thunderkyss
06-11-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm sure that someone has brought this up before, but Ryan Moats was way more productive than Chris Henry!!! I'm confused as to why we let go of a productive back and kept a "big" back that hasn't proven himself on the field.

Henry and Jeremiah Johnson are in the same boat. We acquired both of them, knowing of health issues, with the belief that they will be well worth the effort, in getting them healthy, and getting them on the field.

Kind of like when the Cowboys picked up Columbo on the cheap. Didn't play an entire season, to get healthy, then he became the anchor at RT for a couple of years.

So far, it's cost them nothing to keep them on the Roster... until now that is, it has cost us Ryan Moats.

GP
06-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Haha. Cutting Ryan Moats isn't much of a message.

Exactly.

Moats cut himself when he fumbled on the 2-yard line vs. the Colts. He was in the midst of trying to unseat Steve Slaton, who was being benched by Kubiak for his very own fumbling problem, and he couldn't get it done.

I think Steve is actually sitting there as the 3rd man on the RB depth chart. Tate and Foster are Kubiak's new Moon Sand & Bend-A-Roo's. Steve is a pet rock.

Thought I'd put it in terms of cheesy TV infomercial toys.

El Tejano
06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Exactly.

Moats cut himself when he fumbled on the 2-yard line vs. the Colts. He was in the midst of trying to unseat Steve Slaton, who was being benched by Kubiak for his very own fumbling problem, and he couldn't get it done.

I think Steve is actually sitting there as the 3rd man on the RB depth chart. Tate and Foster are Kubiak's new Moon Sand & Bend-A-Roo's. Steve is a pet rock.

Thought I'd put it in terms of cheesy TV infomercial toys.

If you are Foster and Johnson, you have to think this was some kind of wake up call to make sure you are doing more everyday. Those two were UDFAs that are fighting for their job every year. It may not be much of a message but it's a small one. Even if not intended, I'm hoping Foster and Johnson took it that way. Foster seems the most focused out of all our backs too though.

I agree that I think Foster and Tate are the main guys right now. Slaton is a wait and see right now.

beerlover
06-11-2010, 12:34 PM
last year OTA's RB depth chart looked something like this with Chris Henry added later while JJ went down early & AF struggled to rehab off his injury. Moats was key depth & 3rd down option.

#1 Steve Slaton
#2 Chris Brown
#3 Ryan Moats
#4 Arian Foster
#5 Jeremiah Johnson

this year the Texans realized they needed RB help & used their highest to date draft slot on the position so based off performance & policy of letting Vets leave early in season to sign on another roster Moats became expendable.

#1 Steve Slaton
#2 Ben Tate
#3 Arian Foster
#4 Chris Henry
#5 Trindon Holiday (they want versatility, besides WR/Retuner he can be a situational 3rd down back too)

TimeKiller
06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
So long Moats. Salute!

Goldensilence
06-12-2010, 11:09 AM
last year OTA's RB depth chart looked something like this with Chris Henry added later while JJ went down early & AF struggled to rehab off his injury. Moats was key depth & 3rd down option.

#1 Steve Slaton
#2 Chris Brown
#3 Ryan Moats
#4 Arian Foster
#5 Jeremiah Johnson

this year the Texans realized they needed RB help & used their highest to date draft slot on the position so based off performance & policy of letting Vets leave early in season to sign on another roster Moats became expendable.

#1 Steve Slaton
#2 Ben Tate
#3 Arian Foster
#4 Chris Henry
#5 Trindon Holiday (they want versatility, besides WR/Retuner he can be a situational 3rd down back too)

I'm really excited to see what they can do with Holliday. Can you imagine his speed and open field vision on a screen or dump off pass? I don't know, I just feel like this kid has the chance to be a really dynamic weapon and so glad they drafted him!

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm really excited to see what they can do with Holliday. Can you imagine his speed and open field vision on a screen or dump off pass? I don't know, I just feel like this kid has the chance to be a really dynamic weapon and so glad they drafted him!

Potentially just as good a weapon as Reggie Bush for much lesser a draft pick and at a much lesser contract.................and, in attempt to disprove his sceptics.................a player with a much "hungrier" attitude.

IDEXAN
06-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Even if talented runners, an obvious concern with such a young, relatively inexperienced set of backs is the question of pass-prottection for Schaub ?

Goldensilence
06-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Even if talented runners, an obvious concern with such a young, relatively inexperienced set of backs is the question of pass-prottection for Schaub ?

Maybe. I think however, Tate's overall game is what got him the nod over Gerhart.

I'm also hoping that it won't be a big as issue if the reshuffled OL plays better.

thunderkyss
06-12-2010, 08:06 PM

Moats was worthless in pass pro anyway, so this move has nothing to do with that.

Arian Foster isn't bad, and Slaton is pretty damn good, considering his size.

beerlover
06-13-2010, 01:36 AM

a poor mans DeSean Jackson or Percy Harvin. in space there isn't a LB who could possibly cover him. if Kubiak doesn't utilize his tools there is no one to blame but the coaching staff, but then why did they draft him simply to return kicks & fill in a limited number of snaps @ WR? it all sounds a little fishy to me.

J_R
06-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Didnt take long - Vikings sign Ryan Moats.

Thorn
06-15-2010, 11:47 AM
I wish him luck with the Vikings then.

TheRealJoker
06-15-2010, 08:48 PM
You gotta wonder what would've happened with Moats had he not fumbled in the first Colts game...

We probably win that game, he further entrenches himself as the starting RB, and Chris Brown is pushed further away from the field.

HOU-TEX
06-16-2010, 09:07 AM
You gotta wonder what would've happened with Moats had he not fumbled in the first Colts game...

We probably win that game, he further entrenches himself as the starting RB, and Chris Brown is pushed further away from the field.

Nah, as much as Brown sucked, he was the better pass blocker. We all know how much emphasis Kubiak puts on his RB's pass blocking.

steelbtexan
06-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Ryan thanks for giving it your best.

Good luck with the Vikes.

I've got a feeling that Tate will be getting 15-20 carries a game and Slaton (if healthy) gets 10 carries a game as the 3rd down RB. He probably will spell Tate every 3-4th series. BTW Tate was very good at pass pro at Auburn.

Section516
06-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Not sure if posted already -

Minnesota Vikings

Moats was claimed off waivers by the Minnesota Vikings on June 15, 2010.[4]

http://blog.vikings.com/2010/06/15/vikings-sign-rb-ryan-moats/

The Vikings have bolstered their RB stable by signing free agent Ryan Moats, a 6th-year player out of Louisiana Tech who was recently released by the Houston Texans. Moats adds a veteran presence to a position group that includes Toby Gerhart, Ian Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Darius Reynaud and Albert Young.

“I watched them last year get so close to achieving the ultimate goal,” Moats said of the Vikings. “I’m honored to be a part of the team. I look forward to being a member of the team and working hard to help us get to the Super Bowl.”

Moats began his career with the Philadelphia Eagles, where he was selected in the 3rd round of the 2005 NFL Draft. Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress was Philadelphia’s offensive coordinator at the time and he saw Moats score 3 rushing TDs during his rookie season, including 2 TDs against the NY Giants on December 11 and another the following week against the Rams. During his rookie season, Moats flashed with long scoring runs of 40 yards against the Giants and 59 yards against the Rams.

After limited action for the Eagles in 2006, Moats was injured in 2007 and was eventually waived in August of 2008. He then signed with the Cardinals for a few weeks before the Houston Texans signed him to their practice squad in October of 2008.

Moats, who stands at 5-8, 210 pounds, was eventually elevated to Houston’s 53-man roster and he actually got his 1st carry of the ’08 season against the Vikings in Week 8. An injury to Ahman Green gave Moats more playing time and he broke through with a 3-TD game in place of regular starter Steve Slaton; Moats’ 3-TDs tied for the most single-game TDs by an NFL RB in ‘09. Moats also had 126 yards on 23 carries during that game.

In 2009, Moats led the Texans in rushing TDs with 4 and he was 2nd – behind Slaton – in carries (101) and rushing yards (390). For his career, Moats has averaged 4.1 yards per attempt on 201 career caries and also has 9 TDs (8 rushing, 1 receiving).

Rey
06-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Good for Moats

gary
06-30-2010, 12:17 PM
They should have a decent three RB's.