PDA

View Full Version : Have the Texans ever had two young corners with upside?

Section516
06-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I didn't start being a nut about this team until about three years ago...Have the Texan's ever had two starting young corners with upside? A'la KJ + GQ?

*pray's we have something special with all the young DB talent we have atm*

El Tejano
06-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Nope. The best they ever were was when Aaron Glenn was already late in his career and when Dunta was a rookie.

Section516
06-09-2010, 10:52 AM
That's what I looked at. Man, Talent in the backfield..Lets hope we can put it together. I like the Irishman back there..We have a pretty good stable..on paper.

eriadoc
06-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Well, they had DRob and Fred Bennett, which looked promising after Bennett's rookie season. Then reality hit.

b0ng
06-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Well, they had DRob and Fred Bennett, which looked promising after Bennett's rookie season. Then reality hit.

At that point in DRobs career though, we pretty much knew what we had. A tough hard hitting corner who liked to play the run game and was "serviceable" as a cover man.

No More 8-8's
06-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Good topic. Does anyone have the skills/knowledge to find out how young our DBs compared to the rest of the league?

dalemurphy
06-09-2010, 11:27 AM

I never bought in to Fred Bennett. I think many were fooled by his reasonably good ball skills. He always looked like a very sloppy tackler to me and a guy that didn't have great body control.

Regarding two young CBs with promise, I think we have a lot right now:
Kareem Jackson
A. Molden
Glover Quin all have huge upsides, IMO.

And, McCain, McManis are nice young prospects as well.

No More 8-8's
06-09-2010, 11:32 AM
What about that period of Dunta and DeMarcus Faggins? They were both on the "rise" at the same time. Could have been the reason Aaron Glenn was no longer a Texan.

gtexan02
06-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Bennett and Drob were both extremely promising one year. Bennett was written nationally as the next great corner based on his year 1 metrics

Texans34Life
06-09-2010, 11:59 AM
The upside is all the hype the media is giving them. I'm going to wait until after the 1st snap in the regular season against Indy to see how they really are.

drs23
06-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Bennett and Drob were both extremely promising one year. Bennett was written nationally as the next great corner based on his year 1 metrics

My money says he's a gone pecan.

badboy
06-09-2010, 12:32 PM
The starters excite me but you have to include McCain as the dude has skills and combined with his speed will impact the game. Reeves is a very servicable vet with reasonable contract. Moldin has skills & speed/size but has to prove himself. We will see what McManis brings. This could turn out to be a very strong corps of CBs.

b0ng
06-09-2010, 12:36 PM
I think the real question is "Can the rest of the defense cover for having 2 guys at corner who have a combined experience of 1 year in the NFL?"

Section516
06-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I think the real question is "Can the rest of the defense cover for having 2 guys at corner who have a combined experience of 1 year in the NFL?"

Which is why we have KJ instead of the other CB's in the draft.
He is viewed as the #1 CB in the draft for 'plug and play'

thunderkyss
06-10-2010, 09:25 AM

I agree, I think we were expecting Dunta to make the jump to the pro-bowl, and Bennett looked like the real thing. I've never been a big fan of Robinson's, but it's not like he didn't have game. If he could have managed to get the ball out with some regularity, he would have definitely been a pro-bowler.

I also agree, we've never had so much promise: KJ, GQ, McCain, McMannis

Or so much depth: Reeves, Molden, Bennett

We're going to be getting rid of someone who can play in this league.... & that's a good position to be in.