PDA

View Full Version : Reeves & Molden- Do they have a spot?

JB
06-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Interesting comments by Kubiak ...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/12218/glover-quin-wants-texans-nickel-work

gtexan02
06-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Weird. Reeves was well above average 2 years ago and I thought he was certainly good enough to be 3rd on the depth chart last year. what happened i wonder

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2010, 09:05 PM
"Third corner on the field" translates to me that Kubiak is referring to the nickel on the field at the same time. This statment would not preclude Reeves and Molden in the back up roles for the true right and left corners.

JB
06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
"Third corner on the field" translates to me that Kubiak is referring to the nickel on the field at the same time. This statment would not preclude Reeves and Molden in the back up roles for the true right and left corners.

Yeah, I know that. It just seems surprising to me that they were not mentioned. I guess they will be relagated to ST and backups. But he did mention that Bennett and McMannis were being considered.

And if they move Quinn to the slot in the nickel, is Bennett or McMannis better outside than Reeves?

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I know that. It just seems surprising to me that they were not mentioned. I guess they will be relagated to ST and backups. But he did mention that Bennett and McMannis were being considered.

And if they move Quinn to the slot in the nickel, is Bennett or McMannis better outside than Reeves?

I've actually come to like Reeves. Last season with a questionable pass rush, Reeves had his share of being picked on and did surprisingly well.........much better than the previous season. I believe has gets less credit than he deserves. But the competition should prove interesting this summer.

gary
06-08-2010, 09:25 PM
There should be good battle for that third spot.

JB
06-08-2010, 09:30 PM
I've actually come to like Reeves. Last season with a questionable pass rush, Reeves had his share of being picked on and did surprisingly well.........much better than the previous season. I believe has gets less credit than he deserves. But the competition should prove interesting this summer.

Do you think Kubiak is sending a message to Reeves & Molden?

b0ng
06-08-2010, 09:53 PM
To think our secondary has fallen so far since the end of the season that Reeves isn't even a nickel anymore :evil:

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Do you think Kubiak is sending a message to Reeves & Molden?

I still believe Reeves will be solidly inscribed as a veteral presence back up corner for us this year. I also think that if Molden can stay healthy, and that's a big IF, Kubiak feels that he could be a solid CB on this team.

JB
06-08-2010, 10:23 PM
I still believe Reeves will be solidly inscribed as a veteral presence back up corner for us this year. I also think that if Molden can stay healthy, and that's a big IF, Kubiak feels that he could be a solid CB on this team.

Ya know Doc Jean, I agree with you. After thinking about it, I think the only reason Kubiak did not mention Reeves and Molden is because he pretty much knows what he has with those two, and is more interested in answering questions about the others here in OTA's and mini-camp.

m5kwatts
06-08-2010, 11:15 PM
For what it's worth this discussion was begun by me a few weeks ago in the "Cornerback Rotation" thread..

Carr Bombed
06-08-2010, 11:57 PM
If Molden stays healthy I think Bennett gets whacked. Bennett doesn't have the hips to be a corner and when Molden is healthy all he does is make plays. He was a beast on special teams as a rookie so if he's healthy, I think that'll be the edge...his special teams play.

leebigeztx
06-09-2010, 12:24 AM
The 3rd corner in the nfl plays more snaps than the slb. The 3rd corner plays over 60% of the snaps. Teams need 3 and smaybe 4 starting quality corners.

Blake
06-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Sure they have a spot.

http://www.whitlampaint.com/images/sideline_bench1.jpg

gtexan02
06-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Ive watched both Bennett and Reeves play and the thought of having Bennett on the field while Reeves is on the bench makes me seriously wonder if our coaches have any idea wtf they are doing sometimes

nero THE zero
06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
That's not a direct quote from Kubiak and is probably just an omission by Kuharsky.

Kubiak's been trumpeting up the young guys this offseason, but it'd take a monumental leap by McCain to unseat Reeves at the third CB.

barrett
06-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I felt like McCain had decent to above average coverage skills but his lack of physicality as a tackler showed up time and time again when I would re-watch. I know Kubiak has mentioned publicly that they are on him about being more physical but both he and Reeves are similar in that. I don't know if it's a physical issue in that they are both lighter (obviously McCain is smaller) but Molden would seem to have a better upside in that he's bigger. Question remains, can the dude cover? Will we ever get to find out?

p.s. You gotta love that Quin want's to slide in so he can hit somebody!

infantrycak
06-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Ya know Doc Jean, I agree with you. After thinking about it, I think the only reason Kubiak did not mention Reeves and Molden is because he pretty much knows what he has with those two, and is more interested in answering questions about the others here in OTA's and mini-camp.

I think it is that and ...

That's not a direct quote from Kubiak and is probably just an omission by Kuharsky.

this. Kubiak knows reporters primarily want to know about young guys and their improvement.

TimeKiller
06-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Quin oughtta be the FS. I'm gonna call shenanigans if I see Quin flip-flopping about the secondary as a CB to emphasize his tackling.

Of course Reeves has a spot. #3. McCain as the #4 gives 4 guys who are solid cover guys.

beerlover
06-09-2010, 02:23 PM
BL breakdown -

#1 Kareem Jackson
no surprise here as advertised, should have seen it coming but very well covered up underclassman from an outstanding defensive national championship team.
#2 Glover Quinn
starting cb who bumps down into nickle packages, playmaker, excellent cover & tackling skills but does lack long speed so his effectiveness increases close to scrimmage & in underneath routes.
#3 Brice McCain
first off bench to cb in when they go to extra db sets. has the best long speed of bunch can stick to man like glue downfield but needs support in size mis-matches. also has good eye & play recognition to captialize on turnovers.
#4 Jacque Reeves
4th cb off bench because of expereince, size & speed. his ball skills must improve to move up this list, but still offers quality depth & can fill in case of injury, in the last year of his contract (I think) so he has something to prove to get that next deal done.
#5 Sherrick McManis
rookie 5th rd. draft pick I know but has the package the Texans covet @ CB to pair with fellow rookie Jackson (in due time). has very fluid hips & change of direction skills, not afraid to put his hat on people & natural instinct for position.
#6 Antwaun Molden
still untested 08 3rd rd. draft pick who has been hampered by injurys. must remain healthy to make the 53 man roster, but if he does I give him an edge to make this team based off his ability to play CB or Safety plus special teams gunner.
#7 Fred Bennett
odd man out. similar size to Molden, similar tools just has not been consistant enough to keep him over recent additions which have upgraded secondary. biggest problem for him has been his lack of competitiveness both on & off the field, remains a question mark.

so to answer the question "Reeves & Molden- Do they have a spot?" it's yes to both (right now) for me going into training camp this summer.

rmartin65
06-09-2010, 02:35 PM
BL breakdown -

#1 Kareem Jackson
no surprise here as advertised, should have seen it coming but very well covered up underclassman from an outstanding defensive national championship team.
#2 Glover Quinn
starting cb who bumps down into nickle packages, playmaker, excellent cover & tackling skills but does lack long speed so his effectiveness increases close to scrimmage & in underneath routes.
#3 Brice McCain
first off bench to cb in when they go to extra db sets. has the best long speed of bunch can stick to man like glue downfield but needs support in size mis-matches. also has good eye & play recognition to captialize on turnovers.
#4 Jacque Reeves
4th cb off bench because of expereince, size & speed. his ball skills must improve to move up this list, but still offers quality depth & can fill in case of injury, in the last year of his contract (I think) so he has something to prove to get that next deal done.
#5 Sherrick McManis
rookie 5th rd. draft pick I know but has the package the Texans covet @ CB to pair with fellow rookie Jackson (in due time). has very fluid hips & change of direction skills, not afraid to put his hat on people & natural instinct for position.
#6 Antwaun Molden
still untested 08 3rd rd. draft pick who has been hampered by injurys. must remain healthy to make the 53 man roster, but if he does I give him an edge to make this team based off his ability to play CB or Safety plus special teams gunner.
#7 Fred Bennett
odd man out. similar size to Molden, similar tools just has not been consistant enough to keep him over recent additions which have upgraded secondary. biggest problem for him has been his lack of competitiveness both on & off the field, remains a question mark.

so to answer the question "Reeves & Molden- Do they have a spot?" it's yes to both (right now) for me going into training camp this summer.

That is almost identical to what I have, the one difference being Molden and McManis. I was really high on Molden coming into the draft a few years back, and if he can stay healthy I could see him challenging Reeves for that 4th spot.

I love McCain in the slot, he has the potential to be a legit shut down corner. Cant really play physical though, so against bigger receivers he will need help.

badboy
06-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Quin oughtta be the FS. I'm gonna call shenanigans if I see Quin flip-flopping about the secondary as a CB to emphasize his tackling.

Of course Reeves has a spot. #3. McCain as the #4 gives 4 guys who are solid cover guys.I can see this as he was 7th highest rated FS when he was drafted.

badboy
06-09-2010, 02:41 PM
BL breakdown -

#1 Kareem Jackson
#2 Glover Quinn
#3 Brice McCain
#4 Jacque Reeves
#5 Sherrick McManis
#6 Antwaun Molden
#7 Fred Bennett

so to answer the question "Reeves & Molden- Do they have a spot?" it's yes to both (right now) for me going into training camp this summer.Hey mock partner, great evaluations as always. You are especially on target with McCain who is a cover type CB with great speed. Put him and Jackson as two starters with Quin over the top as FS and you have a great backfield. I will focus on our 5th in TC. Hopefully he is real deal. Quin at FS also opens another spot at CB. Again great work.

badboy
06-09-2010, 02:44 PM
That is almost identical to what I have, the one difference being Molden and McManis. I was really high on Molden coming into the draft a few years back, and if he can stay healthy I could see him challenging Reeves for that 4th spot.

I love McCain in the slot, he has the potential to be a legit shut down corner. Cant really play physical though, so against bigger receivers he will need help.65 how about using Reeves in the slot?

ChampionTexan
06-09-2010, 02:45 PM
I think Bennett's probably gone, but even at that, their not going to keep 6 CB's on the roster, and unless one of them can swing to safety (which is a can of worms that is not my intention to open), my guess is they'd prefer to only keep four. Perhaps Molden's special teams prowess would give them an excuse to keep 5.

I'm expecting McManis to end up on the PS if for no other reason that he's the only one who is eligible, and then I guess it comes down to choose two out of McCain, Reeves and Molden. Unless of course someone gets injured (yeah - like that could ever happen).

beerlover
06-09-2010, 03:02 PM
I think Bennett's probably gone, but even at that, their not going to keep 6 CB's on the roster, and unless one of them can swing to safety (which is a can of worms that is not my intention to open), my guess is they'd prefer to only keep four. Perhaps Molden's special teams prowess would give them an excuse to keep 5.

I'm expecting McManis to end up on the PS if for no other reason that he's the only one who is eligible, and then I guess it comes down to choose two out of McCain, Reeves and Molden. Unless of course someone gets injured (yeah - like that could ever happen).

putting McManis on PS you run the risk of another team scooping him up, since all they have to do is put him on their 53 man roster.

rmartin65
06-09-2010, 03:20 PM
65 how about using Reeves in the slot?

Maybe, but I still like Quinn, Jackson and McCain better. McCain just needs to be placed on the smallest receiver, or something, so he wont get overpowered.

ChampionTexan
06-09-2010, 04:02 PM
putting McManis on PS you run the risk of another team scooping him up, since all they have to do is put him on their 53 man roster.

Virtually every team passed on him three or four times in the draft (some of them 5 times), so I don't see getting him through waivers as a big problem. Unless he absolutely blows them away in preseason (in which case he probably beats out at least two of the other three guys competing for the last two spots), I just don't see it as much of a risk. If they do keep him on the 53 man roster, there's a very good chance that only one guy out of Molden, McCain, and Reeves makes it, and while I'd like to think that McManis is going to be that good right out of the gate, I'd find it surprising if that was the case.

Besides, if they really do think they've got something in McManis, but want to stash him on the PS, they can hide him to some degree in the preseason.

Texanmike02
06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
BL breakdown -

#1 Kareem Jackson
#2 Glover Quinn
#3 Brice McCain
#4 Jacque Reeves
#5 Sherrick McManis
#6 Antwaun Molden
#7 Fred Bennett

If you're talking about the nickel, I think reeves plays across from Jackson and Quinn on the inside. I actually think Reeves played better than people gave him credit for both years. He doesn't have great ball skills, but he has great coverage skills. Last year he turned his head a little more and looked good if you asked me. I think this guy forgot to mention them. Then again, there's no way Reeves is the "third" (inside) guy in the nickel, he's suspect against the run on the outside, I can't see him shedding a single blocker on the inside.

Mike

HOU-TEX
06-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I think McCain played most of the 2nd half of last season as our nickel.

beerlover
06-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Virtually every team passed on him three or four times in the draft (some of them 5 times), so I don't see getting him through waivers as a big problem. Unless he absolutely blows them away in preseason (in which case he probably beats out at least two of the other three guys competing for the last two spots), I just don't see it as much of a risk. If they do keep him on the 53 man roster, there's a very good chance that only one guy out of Molden, McCain, and Reeves makes it, and while I'd like to think that McManis is going to be that good right out of the gate, I'd find it surprising if that was the case.

Besides, if they really do think they've got something in McManis, but want to stash him on the PS, they can hide him to some degree in the preseason.

they may use IR or PUP to cover bases but Rick Smith has never before left a 5th rd. selection exposed on PS, I doubt this would ever happen for that matter too, they feel lucky to even get him, he is our Akwasi Owusu-Ansah who the Cowboys selected in the 4th, doubt they put him on PS either.

JB
06-09-2010, 07:28 PM

they may use IR or PUP to cover bases but Rick Smith has never before left a 5th rd. selection exposed on PS, I doubt this would ever happen for that matter too, they feel lucky to even get him, he is our Akwasi Owusu-Ansah who the Cowboys selected in the 4th, doubt they put him on PS either.

At his speech at the Touchdown Club, this is what Kubiak had to say about McManis:

On McManis: “We knew he was hurt, had a quad issue. We’re getting him healthy. We think he belonged in the front end of the draft if he was healthy. We got him later (fifth round)… If we are right, we think we have a kid that will play for us for a long time. We think we may have stolen a player, but we’ve got to get him good and healthy.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1198

In light of this, look for him to start the year on IR

imatexan
06-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I think Reeves should at least be our number 3 CB and possibly number 2, I think he proved himself last year.

TimeKiller
06-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Whatever combo they throw out there I gotta say, CB looks more promising than it ever has.

KJ-Highly touted 1st round pick from great college D
Quin-4th rounder who has made himself a starter in less than a year
Reeves-Free agent signed because of great physical tools, good cover guy
McCain-Small but sticky. Picked off Manning as a nickel? dime? a rookie anyway.
McMannis-All Kubiak can say is STOLEN! Hopefully he'll get healthy and be the opposite of Molden
Molden-Holy hell, can he just be healthy? At the very least we could use his special teams. At the best he could be a starting level CB or even swing to FS because of his size/tackling.
Bennett-Hey, the low-man on this totem pole has at least looked good in real action before. Yeah he's looked bad too but check it: he's the 7th CB on the roster.

badboy
06-10-2010, 03:53 PM
they may use IR or PUP to cover bases but Rick Smith has never before left a 5th rd. selection exposed on PS, I doubt this would ever happen for that matter too, they feel lucky to even get him, he is our Akwasi Owusu-Ansah who the Cowboys selected in the 4th, doubt they put him on PS either.Agreed, interesting comment comparing him to Ansah. I have thought his stats and summaries I've seen remind me of my former mock pick but as I have not seen McManis play I will hold my comparison.

badboy
06-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Maybe, but I still like Quinn, Jackson and McCain better. McCain just needs to be placed on the smallest receiver, or something, so he wont get overpowered.If I remember correctly McCain and DR were both 5'9". Just mentioning it.

edo783
06-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Short answer is yes.

CloakNNNdagger
06-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Maybe, but I still like Quinn, Jackson and McCain better. McCain just needs to be placed on the smallest receiver, or something, so he wont get overpowered.

This 2006 ESPN article lays out the question of small vs. large CB. Thought it could be interesting to some of you. TEAMS HAVE DIFFERENT PHILOSOPHIES ON A CB'S SIZE (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2422307)