PDA

View Full Version : Pac-10 might ask Texas and five other Big 12 schools to join

Pages : [1] 2

Wolf
06-03-2010, 08:57 PM
The Big 12 meetings are reaching their climax Thursday and Friday in Kansas City with the presidents and chancellors from the league coming together to discuss pressing issues, including sites for championships. (Look for the Big 12 title game in football to stay at Cowboys Stadium for the next three years.)

But when it comes to possible realignment, the Big 12 meetings may be premature.

Why?

Because it appears the Pac-10, which has its meetings in San Francisco starting this weekend, is prepared to make a bold move and invite Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join its league, according to multiple sources close to the situation.

Left out would be Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska and Missouri.

Messages left with Pac-10 officials by Orangebloods.com on Thursday were not immediately returned.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1090747

rmartin65
06-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Whoa, that would shake things up. That is a big conference though, I want to know how the divisions shape up (if it happens).

JB
06-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Don't see it happening.

Goldensilence
06-03-2010, 09:49 PM
This is a preemptive move by the PAC-10 if the Big 10 does expand taking in several Big 12 teams with it.

Honestly I think the idea of 2-3 behemoth conferences bores the hell out of me. IMO college football is pretty good where it is at conference wise. I think the larger conferences are well balanced with each other for the most part and some smaller ones have schools making legitimate title contender cases.

Really I wish schools would focus more on implementing a playoff system instead of expanding.

JB
06-03-2010, 09:57 PM
This is a preemptive move by the PAC-10 if the Big 10 does expand taking in several Big 12 teams with it.

Honestly I think the idea of 2-3 behemoth conferences bores the hell out of me. IMO college football is pretty good where it is at conference wise. I think the larger conferences are well balanced with each other for the most part and some smaller ones have schools making legitimate title contender cases.

Really I wish schools would focus more on implementing a playoff system instead of expanding.

I agree with this for the most part. Let the big conferences stay where they are, but maybe get a few of the smaller conferences to merge.

If you could get maybe 8 conferences, you are pretty close to a playoff system

gwallaia
06-03-2010, 10:33 PM
College football is about one thing and one thing only. MONEY.

brakos82
06-03-2010, 10:43 PM
You mean they're finally gonna kick those Washington and Oregon schools out? :user:

steelbtexan
06-03-2010, 10:55 PM
College football is about one thing and one thing only. MONEY.

With title 9 college football/basketball has to be about money. They are required to pay for all of the non revenue making sports.

Goldensilence
06-03-2010, 11:08 PM
http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_15215560

I know it's Conference USA, but I'm pretty sure it's across the board with every conference.

I know I don't necessarily mind because I enjoy sports and I would like to see good facilities to attract top tier athletes to make the athletic program more sustainable.

I know well though there's many others who would disagree.

Kaiser Toro
06-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I went to KC yesterday morning, and President Powers was on my plane. Didn't think much of it at the time. After my lunch appointment I tuned into Sports Radio and they were buzzing about Chip Brown's story and the meeting that was taking place.

Blake
06-04-2010, 09:54 AM
I think the Big 12 should invite the Pac-10 and Big-10 to join us and create the ULTIMATE BIG 33~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eriadoc
06-04-2010, 12:00 PM

I think the conferences are looking at things currently in an effort to make that point moot.

HoustonFrog
06-04-2010, 12:18 PM
My preference is to have Missouri and whomever bolt to the Big 11 and the Big 12 bring in my Frogs and another school.

Blake
06-04-2010, 02:25 PM
My preference is to have Missouri and whomever bolt to the Big 11 and the Big 12 bring in my Frogs and another schools.

The Big 10(11) can have Mizzou, Rutgers and Notre Dame. The Big 12 can bring in TCU, Arkansas and Houston.

TEXANS84
06-04-2010, 04:33 PM
The Big 10(11) can have Mizzou, Rutgers and Notre Dame. The Big 12 can bring in TCU, Arkansas and Houston.

Big 12-
Notre Dame
Mizzou
TCU
Utah
Boise State

IDEXAN
06-04-2010, 04:51 PM
UT seems to be content being a "big fish in a little pond", but I really think it would be more interesting if they swam in a bigger pond, and IMO the most likely destination would be the PAC10 if they decided to make a move.

Kaiser Toro
06-04-2010, 05:17 PM
UT seems to be content being a "big fish in a little pond", but I really think it would be more interesting if they swam in a bigger pond, and IMO the most likely destination would be the PAC10 if they decided to make a move.

This is Texas, as big as of a pond it gets for school boy talent in football, basketball and baseball. Opening one's pond to poachers is one of the variables to consider.

pbat488
06-04-2010, 06:25 PM
A great take on the Big 12 expansion talk..

Some explicit language so be careful if at work...

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2010/6/4/1500646/the-rumormill-the-big-xii-to-pac

IDEXAN
06-04-2010, 06:52 PM
This is Texas, as big as of a pond it gets for school boy talent in football, basketball and baseball. Opening one's pond to poachers is one of the variables to consider.

I respect the history and tradition of football in Texas, but if I'm not mistaken more California & FLA natives were drafted into the NFL this year than Texas natives ?
Bit if you're really a "Texan" with big ideas, big dreams, and big ambitions,
how could anything in the Big 12 be as big as Texas Vs. USC ?
There are much, much bigger ponds than the Big 12. If you're what you say you are, then think big you big Texan you.

JB
06-04-2010, 06:57 PM
A great take on the Big 12 expansion talk..

Some explicit language so be careful if at work...

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2010/6/4/1500646/the-rumormill-the-big-xii-to-pac

That was Hilarious! Thanks...

Kaiser Toro
06-04-2010, 07:11 PM
I respect the history and tradition of football in Texas, but if I'm not mistaken more California & FLA natives were drafted into the NFL this year than Texas natives ?
Bit if you're really a "Texan" with big ideas, big dreams, and big ambitions,
how could anything in the Big 12 be as big as Texas Vs. USC ?
There are much, much bigger ponds than the Big 12. If you're what you say you are, then think big you big Texan you.

Not sure what the NFL has to do with this decision or my statement.

UT vs USC is not as big as UT/OU every year for the last fifty years - for the fans and the players.

Everything is bigger in Texas, consequently, everyone wants a piece.

JB
06-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Not sure what the NFL has to do with this decision or my statement.

UT vs USC is not as big as UT/OU every year for the last fifty years - for the fans and the players.

Absolutely correct! Davy Crockett didn't come here for nothing...

ATXtexanfan
06-04-2010, 08:12 PM
the sixteen pac would be sweet. hard to imagine an undefeated school making it through. big time money at stake

IDEXAN
06-05-2010, 09:49 AM
"The Pac-10 is in a position of strength, a vastly undervalued league with tons of upside. It hired Larry Scott as commissioner last year to overturn rocks in search for revenue.
The Pac-10 is not looking to raid the Big 12; it's sort of the other way around. "Our phone is ringing off the hook," Scott said Thursday."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0605-dufresne-pac-10-20100605,0,3151291.column
&&
All of the "Texas is bigger" talk is fine and well, wouldn't expect anything else, but as this writer with the LA Times correctly points out, the Big 12 would need the PAC 10 far worse than vice versa if the Big 10 makes a
move on Mizzou and Nebraska.

b0ng
06-05-2010, 12:06 PM
The only reason that the PAC10 wouldn't take Texas would be because of A&M and Tech. If the PAC10 turned their nose up at UT I could easily see the SEC being fine with Texas even if it means UT would have to up it's game or get beaten a bit by Bama and Florida.

PAC10 would kill to have another flagship to actually compete with USC.

pbat488
06-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Not sure how I feel about this merger, so I'm going to list out positives and negatives for A&M, Big 12, and the state of Texas...

Positives
-Pac 10 research grants and collaborations with Stanford, Cal, Washington, etc...
-Huge TV footprint covering essentially all USA west of Mississippi River
-Increased academic reputation
-Allows conference to negotiate a large TV contract due to premium athletics (Stanford, UCLA, Cal, USC, A&M, UT, OU all in top 25 of Director's Cup (http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/dcupd1june3.pdf) standings) and prestigious football programs (USC, UT, and OU with A&M, UCLA, and Cal to a lesser extent)
-Pac 10 hotties

Negatives
-Culturally, Texas and to an even greater extent Oklahoma are nothing like California or the Pacific seaboard at all; seeing the Fighting Texas Aggie Band or the Longhorn Band in their Porter Wagoner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_Wagoner) uniforms in LA or Seattle would just be... weird. Just the way of life and overall outlook on life over there is much different than it is here.
-Travel/Time differences.. while not a big deal for football as Texas teams would only likely travel to the Pacific Coast once a year, other sports that play each team home and away and have much less revenue will be a problem from the beginning that could lead to schools dropping certain sports. Also, with the Pacific coast two hours behind us a 7:00pm PT home game would likely end around 1:00am here.
-Not much zeal for an A&M vs. Washington State game, though I guess it's about the same as Iowa State now...
-Opens up the state of Texas to recruiting by now conference rivals in Arizona, California, Oregon, and Washington while still having OU, Ok St, and Colorado recruit as well

Just a few of the reasons that stood out to me the most at least and there's just so many different angles to looking at the whole situation that it's tough to choose which direction is best and why I don't envy school presidents/chancellors/ADs at all right now..

As for what I want to happen.. sort of...

Athletic wise, I want A&M to go to the SEC with Texas or OU and create an SEC West of A&M, UT/OU, Arkansas, LSU, MSU, Ole Miss, and Vandy.. if UT doesn't go then keeping the Lone Star Showdown and Red River Rivalry games would give A&M and OU one of the best schedules in football year in and year out.

Academically, if Texas were to join Big 10 and A&M by association was taken along, that would be huge in regards to grant money and research collaboration. The Pac 10 is also a step up from the Big 12 academically and would result in larger research grants for the flagship universities of Texas.

So A&M goes to SEC for athletics and Big 10 for academics and gets the best of both worlds and leaves one shiny, happy Texans fan, just like Vinny.

:spin:

awtysst
06-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Texas already does very well in recruiting Texas highschool players. If Texas goes to the pac 10 and is able to compete and do better than USC and UCLA thy may be able to get a foothold into California recruiting. Texas, California, and Florida are the big three in terms of football recruiting. Going to the Pac 10 gives UT a chance to get at some of the Cali recruits!

Imagine a Texas team filled with the very best of Texas and California recruits!!!

b0ng
06-05-2010, 03:02 PM
In the end, all of this re-alignment stuff is about money, and you'd be foolish to think that Texas doesn't pull down a bunch of bucks with it's football program. If the Big XII does shit itself this offseason (And more and more stories are pointing to this being the case) Texas probably has it's choice of what conference to go to.

Also, I can't imagine OU not being in the same conference just because of the Red River Shootout. I'm sure if somehow they didn't end up in the same conference they could schedule it, but I just see one following the other to a different conference.

awtysst
06-05-2010, 03:08 PM
In the end, all of this re-alignment stuff is about money, and you'd be foolish to think that Texas doesn't pull down a bunch of bucks with it's football program. If the Big XII does shit itself this offseason (And more and more stories are pointing to this being the case) Texas probably has it's choice of what conference to go to.

Also, I can't imagine OU not being in the same conference just because of the Red River Shootout. I'm sure if somehow they didn't end up in the same conference they could schedule it, but I just see one following the other to a different conference.

Well hold on there. Remember that a team has 12 games a season. If the pac 10 goes to 16 that means 8 per division. So 7 games right away are against the others in the division. Now, there likely will be 2 games against the other division, so thats 9. The remaining three will be non conference games.

In those Non conference games, would UT really want to schedule OU(if they were not in the same division) or would they prefer the Louisiana-Lafayettes of the world?

Wolf
06-05-2010, 03:14 PM
the little schools would be hurting if they didn't get scheduled against the big boys.. but if Texas (or whoever) gets more revenue and still plays the small schools.. well they would win in that deal also

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67686

b0ng
06-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Well hold on there. Remember that a team has 12 games a season. If the pac 10 goes to 16 that means 8 per division. So 7 games right away are against the others in the division. Now, there likely will be 2 games against the other division, so thats 9. The remaining three will be non conference games.

In those Non conference games, would UT really want to schedule OU(if they were not in the same division) or would they prefer the Louisiana-Lafayettes of the world?

You are talking about a 100+ year old tradition. I know UT likes to schedule cupcakes OOC, but I can't imagine alums of either school or the AD's would just give up that quickly.

Isn't the game supposed to be held in Jerry's World coming up?

pbat488
06-05-2010, 03:20 PM
In the end, all of this re-alignment stuff is about money, and you'd be foolish to think that Texas doesn't pull down a bunch of bucks with it's football program.

I don't think anyone has said in this thread or in general lately that Texas doesn't bank from football; it's a given that they do, so I'm not sure who you're directing this at.

But it doesn't change the fact that athletic revenue compared to research grant money is small potatoes. While the beginnings of the change can mostly be seen as athletically based (ie Big 10 wanting to expand it's TV footprint to get more viewers to Big 10 network) in my opinion it's going to end up concerning academics a lot more than ESPN and other networks will let on.

b0ng
06-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Uhhhhhhhhh, this re-alignment is specifically about football as that is the sport that gets all the funding so that other schools can hold their 3-legged sack race competitions. I don't believe any other reason about all the alignment talks other than the Big10 and now the Pac10 want to increase their football revenue.

There is no way all of these conferences are talking about re-alignment due to academics, no effing way. I also don't know if these research grants can pull in hundreds of millions of dollars like tv contracts can.

awtysst
06-05-2010, 03:26 PM
You are talking about a 100+ year old tradition. I know UT likes to schedule cupcakes OOC, but I can't imagine alums of either school or the AD's would just give up that quickly.

Isn't the game supposed to be held in Jerry's World coming up?

Yeah, but what is more important: 100+ year tradition or getting to better bowl games? Scheduling OU when they are in your division is one thing, but choosing to schedule them as a an out of conference is NUTS.

OU is not a pushover and quite frankly with 9 conference games you NEED cup cake games. If UT scheduled OU and lost and that loss prevented them from going to a BCS game whereas a cupcake win would have gotten them there, it would be hard to sell the UT AD on OU. Simple fact of the matter is, its about winning games. Tradition and rivalry be damned.

b0ng
06-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah, but what is more important: 100+ year tradition or getting to better bowl games? Scheduling OU when they are in your division is one thing, but choosing to schedule them as a an out of conference is NUTS.

OU is not a pushover and quite frankly with 9 conference games you NEED cup cake games. If UT scheduled OU and lost and that loss prevented them from going to a BCS game whereas a cupcake win would have gotten them there, it would be hard to sell the UT AD on OU. Simple fact of the matter is, its about winning games. Tradition and rivalry be damned.

You know that OU and UT haven't always been in the same conference right? And that both of those teams get bucketloads of cash to have that game broadcast.

Remember, money here is the ultimate motivator, not competition. And how are teams like ASU and Stanford and UCLA not going to be cupcake games? OU/UT is not going to go away because UT is scared of OU and USC in the same schedule.

Any AD for either school would be tarred and feathered if they didn't let the respective alums for each school talk garbage to each other in the Cotton Bowl (or wherever it's going to be held) every year.

awtysst
06-05-2010, 03:46 PM
You know that OU and UT haven't always been in the same conference right? And that both of those teams get bucketloads of cash to have that game broadcast.

Remember, money here is the ultimate motivator, not competition. And how are teams like ASU and Stanford and UCLA not going to be cupcake games? OU/UT is not going to go away because UT is scared of OU and USC in the same schedule.

Any AD for either school would be tarred and feathered if they didn't let the respective alums for each school talk garbage to each other in the Cotton Bowl (or wherever it's going to be held) every year.

Stanford has become a solid program. UCLA is under Neuheisel, the same Neuhesiel that made Colorado a relevant and dangerous program. ASU is not a cupcake.

Remember that the money that a school that goes to say the Rose bowl or Fiesta Bowl is MUCH more than going to The Pacific Holiday bowl. College football is a very tough landscape a single loss can drop you from BCS to BS bowl game. And with that loss is lots of $ and potential recruits. Remember Texas already has its rivalry game against A&M. Having an extra rivalrly game may be considered a luxury that UT cannot afford.

The likely scenario is UT and OU go to the Pac 10 with their geographical partners (A&M and Oklahoma State). However if OU for whatever reason does not join Texas I would not be surprised to see the end of the Red River rivalry -save for BCS/bowl games!

pbat488
06-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I also don't know if these research grants can pull in hundreds of millions of dollars like tv contracts can.

In 2004, Texas A&M received nearly $570 million in research funding, ranking the school among the top 20 American research institutes.

Just in 2004 alone, and that's not even what the Stanfords, Duke's, and Northwestern's of the country make.

Courtesy of wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A&M_University#Research)

b0ng
06-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Even if all of what you were saying was more than an opinion, both teams are locked into a contract for this neutral site game that's going to be extremely expensive to get out of.

Remember, money is the motivator here, not competition.

rmartin65
06-05-2010, 03:56 PM
I would much rather see this happen than Texas go to the Big 10. Texas in the Big 10 makes no geographic sense at all.

pbat488
06-05-2010, 03:58 PM

Yes, this I agree with you on, but in a different way.

The whole realignment situation is starting off as athletic departments wanting more money from TV contracts, but the major moves will be made by the presidents and chancellors of the universities considering bigger factors than only athletic revenue.

b0ng
06-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Just in 2004 alone, and that's not even what the Stanfords, Duke's, and Northwestern's of the country make.

Courtesy of wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A&M_University#Research)

Source (http://newsok.com/bcs-television-contract/article/3323198)

→Network: ESPN, available in 98 million homes.

→Years: 2011-2014

→Rights: $125 million a year. Fox, which is paying $80 million annually from 2007-10, reportedly bid $405 million for four years.

Read more: http://newsok.com/bcs-television-contract/article/3323198#ixzz0q0jqkbzD

It's about football bro. Those institutions aren't going to get more research money because of a conference re-alignment.

pbat488
06-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Source (http://newsok.com/bcs-television-contract/article/3323198)

It's about football bro. Those institutions aren't going to get more research money because of a conference re-alignment.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little confused. Those are the fees ESPN and Fox paid to broadcast BCS games, not what a school gets for playing in/winning a game.

And still, $500 million over 4 years to broadcast football is chump change compared to $570 million in one year to one school for research.

awtysst
06-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Even if all of what you were saying was more than an opinion, both teams are locked into a contract for this neutral site game that's going to be extremely expensive to get out of.

True, the teams are signed through 2015, so it seems unlikely they would want to pay their way out as they are given something like 800k each to play. Thats a lot of cabbage.

Like I said, there is a strong likelihood that OU follows UT wherever they go.

JB
06-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't understand why everyone is thinking the Big XII is breaking up.

Kaiser Toro
06-05-2010, 09:47 PM

It is not, but it makes good conversation. Texas leaving the Big XII has more cons than pros.

awtysst
06-06-2010, 11:06 AM

Well becuase if Mizzou and Nebraska go to the Big X

And the Pac 10 succeeds in grabbing Texas, A&M, OU, O State, Tech, and COlorado who is left in the Big XII? Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor?

texanhead08
06-06-2010, 11:19 AM
If those 6 schools leave the Big XII they become the SWC part deaux and just fold or merge with the MWC.

rmartin65
06-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Well becuase if Mizzou and Nebraska go to the Big X

And the Pac 10 succeeds in grabbing Texas, A&M, OU, O State, Tech, and COlorado who is left in the Big XII? Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and Baylor?

Where would those guys go? Split between the SEC, CUSA, WAC and MWC? This should be an interesting summer.

Goldensilence
06-06-2010, 01:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5257088

Keeps getting more interesting. I don't see Nebraska leaving the Big XII honestly. Mizzou might bolt. But, seeing as how I don't believe there has been an official offer it would be difficult to leave IMO.

IMO smart move by the BIG XII to force the situation.

IDEXAN
06-06-2010, 02:14 PM
IMO smart move by the BIG XII to force the situation.
Think so ? Where's their leverage because I can't see it ?
Just what do you think UT,er I mean the Big 12, going to do if MU (NU isn't going anyplace independantly, it might tag along after MU if it also gets an invite from the Big 10), doesn't snap up and respond by this deadline ?

awtysst
06-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Where would those guys go? Split between the SEC, CUSA, WAC and MWC? This should be an interesting summer.

I doubt the SEC would want any of those schools. None of them bring in any big $ or sponsors. If anything adding any of those schools would mean each current SEC team will get LESS money in the future so that eliminates the SEC.

I think Baylor and Iowa State goes to CUSA and Kansas and Kansas State head to the Mid American Conference.

I could also see the SEC and Big East diving in and scooping up some of the ACC schools and the ACC going away as well.
With the end of the Big XII and ACC it opens up two more at large BCS bids.

awtysst
06-06-2010, 05:21 PM
If the Pac 10 goes ahead and invites and gets the Big XII schools it would go to 16 teams. Now, instead of doing 2 8 team divisions, how about 4, 4 team divisions.

For example:
Division A: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Colorado
Division B: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Arizona State
Division C: USC, UCLA, California, and Stanford
Division D: Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State

Each team wold play all three of its opponents in its division each year. They would then play 2 teams from each division and this would be on a rotational basis. Thats 9 games. The other 3 games can be out of conference games to schedule in some interesting matchups or cupcakes.

Each team has a natural rival except Colorado and Texas Tech. Colorado can develop one with tech or continue to play CSU every year. This would be a very fair way to break the 16 teams.

What do yall think?

Dan B.
06-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Guys, OU and UT managed to schedule each other for 90 years when they were in separate conferences. They can keep it intact. I think the Pac 10 is most likely, due to the state leg mainly. There are FOIA records that indicate the Big 10 was willing to take UT and A&M, but there was "a Tech issue."

Dan B.
06-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Double post

Second Honeymoon
06-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Big fish, little pond? gmab
UT isn't to blame for the Big 12 North being irrelevant
they only have themselves to blame

this "I'm taking my ball and going home" act is pitiful
one thing is for sure, Texas will not leave it's fellow Texas schools high n dry

if mizzou and Nebraska bolt, then just replace them

Goldensilence
06-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Think so ? Where's their leverage because I can't see it ?
Just what do you think UT,er I mean the Big 12, going to do if MU (NU isn't going anyplace independantly, it might tag along after MU if it also gets an invite from the Big 10), doesn't snap up and respond by this deadline ?

The Big XII seems to think it has some sort of leverage or else wouldn't have set an ultimatum.

More so I think there's so much speculation about the Big 12 having teams poached that at some point it had to go on the offensive instead of sitting around.

The Big 10 also hasn't made official invitations yet. Question is does NU and MU risk bolting without a guaranteed home?

You obviously aren't a Big 12 fan. It's been difficult for the Big 12 since some big names left the north division that kept it balanced.

JB
06-06-2010, 07:10 PM
The Big XII seems to think it has some sort of leverage or else wouldn't have set an ultimatum.

More so I think there's so much speculation about the Big 12 having teams poached that at some point it had to go on the offensive instead of sitting around.

The Big 10 also hasn't made official invitations yet. Question is does NU and MU risk bolting without a guaranteed home?

You obviously aren't a Big 12 fan. It's been difficult for the Big 12 since some big names left the north division that kept it balanced.

Who was it that left?

And I don't think the Big XII is worried about losing Nebraska and Missouri. The ultimatum is so they know what they have going forward. If those two leave, they will replace them with two others out of maybe Houston, TCU, Boise State...

I don't think there will be any change to the Big XII.

The Big X wants ND really bad and have for years. They keep coming up with scenarios to entice ND to join in, but no success. This time won't be any different.

pbat488
06-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Nobody has the left Big 12 since it's been formed.

However, at the time the Big 12 was formed, Nebraska, Kansas State, and Colorado were big time football programs and in the South it was pretty much just A&M and UT. Now, only Nebraska is back to being strong again up North while UT and OU have run the conference football wise since 2000.

Goldensilence
06-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Who was it that left?

And I don't think the Big XII is worried about losing Nebraska and Missouri. The ultimatum is so they know what they have going forward. If those two leave, they will replace them with two others out of maybe Houston, TCU, Boise State...

I don't think there will be any change to the Big XII.

The Big X wants ND really bad and have for years. They keep coming up with scenarios to entice ND to join in, but no success. This time won't be any different.

Pretty much what I think the Big X wants and has all along.

Tom Osborne retired from Nebraska in 97 and while I thought Frank Solich did a decent job after it wasn't good enough for Alums. Pelini has the program back on the right track though.

Bill Synder retired in 2005 from Kansas State. He came back last year, I don't know if he has it in him anymore, but his teams were competitive at K State.

Rick Neuheisel wasn't the greatest nor the most ethical coach but, he kept the Buffs fairly competitive. What I haven't been able to figure out is how Dan Hawkins has been kept around so long nor how he hasn't been able to translate the same success he had at Boise to Colorado.

I think if Neb or Mizz do leave it does leave the door open for a UH, TCU or possibly Boise. It also would allow them to realign the competitiveness of the league.

pbat488
06-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Ah, got it, you meant individual names and not universities like I assumed.

My mistake Goldensilence.

JB
06-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Pretty much what I think the Big X wants and has all along.

Tom Osborne retired from Nebraska in 97 and while I thought Frank Solich did a decent job after it wasn't good enough for Alums. Pelini has the program back on the right track though.

Bill Synder retired in 2005 from Kansas State. He came back last year, I don't know if he has it in him anymore, but his teams were competitive at K State.

Rick Neuheisel wasn't the greatest nor the most ethical coach but, he kept the Buffs fairly competitive. What I haven't been able to figure out is how Dan Hawkins has been kept around so long nor how he hasn't been able to translate the same success he had at Boise to Colorado.

I think if Neb or Mizz do leave it does leave the door open for a UH, TCU or possibly Boise. It also would allow them to realign the competitiveness of the league.

Solich was a very good coach. He just didn't have a recuiter on his staff that was worth a shit.

Goldensilence
06-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Ah, got it, you meant individual names and not universities like I assumed.

My mistake Goldensilence.

I should've been more clear on what I meant.

I thought the last part article about the championships being awarded was interesting.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=204955138

Each school is looking to get 11.5 Million next season and looks like they did discuss realignment.

awtysst
06-06-2010, 09:17 PM
I should've been more clear on what I meant.

I thought the last part article about the championships being awarded was interesting.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=204955138

Each school is looking to get 11.5 Million next season and looks like they did discuss realignment.

I think you almost HAVE to realign. The Big XII south is so much stronger than the North it is not even funny. If Nebraska and Mizzou do leave, I say shift OU and OSU to the North to restore some balance. Then bring in UH and Rice up to the Big XII Texas division.

Big XII North: OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, CU
Big XII Texas: UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, Rice, UH

Second Honeymoon
06-06-2010, 09:27 PM
UofH in the big12 is a bad idea and wishful thinking
bad stadium and it's a commuter school with almost no campus life

Boise is almost as bad an idea

colorado state is a good idea though
large enrollment and alumni and could help retain the buffaloes in boulder
Arkansas would be great but that Is probably wishful thinking on my part

awtysst
06-06-2010, 09:35 PM
UofH in the big12 is a bad idea and wishful thinking
bad stadium and it's a commuter school with almost no campus life

Boise is almost as bad an idea

large enrollment and alumni and could help retain the buffaloes in boulder
Arkansas would be great but that Is probably wishful thinking on my part

I have no issue with CSU, but they would need to be in the North. If you brought them in, who else would you bring in? As is, The North is already quite a bit weaker than the South. Bringing in CSU does not make the North any stronger and in fact makes it weaker. And what is the interest in Arkansas? I don't see any appeal to Arkansas.
How about shifting OU and OSU north and bringing in Rice and UTEP to the south.

JB
06-06-2010, 10:03 PM
If, and I think it is a big If, NE and MO leave the Big XII; I would like to see them move OU and OSU to the north, and bring in TCU and UH.

Second Honeymoon
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
If, and I think it is a big If, NE and MO leave the Big XII; I would like to see them move OU and OSU to the north, and bring in TCU and UH.

that would eliminate the annual OU-UT matchup. not gonna happen.

UH has no business in the Big12. Nor does Rice. At least Rice has a huge, albeit ancient, stadium but the academic standards crush that idea.

Colorado State, Arkansas, and TCU seem to be the teams that make the most sense.

Personally, I would rather the Texas schools go to the Pac-10, including Baylor. Just add 7 teams and become the PacWest17. Baylor split for the Big12 from SWC so to leave them high and dry would be wrong. It's a package deal and if any Texas team was to be ommited, I would make it Texas Tech and not Baylor.

I am sure Uncle D would agree

Señor Stan
06-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Sincerely,

Gary Kubiak

JB
06-07-2010, 04:40 PM
UH has no business in the Big12. Nor does Rice. At least Rice has a huge, albeit ancient, stadium but the academic standards crush that idea.

Colorado State, Arkansas, and TCU seem to be the teams that make the most sense.

Personally, I would rather the Texas schools go to the Pac-10, including Baylor. Just add 7 teams and become the PacWest17. Baylor split for the Big12 from SWC so to leave them high and dry would be wrong. It's a package deal and if any Texas team was to be ommited, I would make it Texas Tech and not Baylor.

Why would it eliminate that matchup? They have been playing every year since long before there was a Big XII.

Dutchrudder
06-07-2010, 04:44 PM

Baylor? Really? If this move is about money, as has been repeated throughout this thread, then picking up a private school with 15,000 students and a perpetually worthless football team is not going to help the Pac-10. Sure they did well in basketball the last couple years, but if that's what matters then Kansas and KSU should be atop all the conference invites.

It's not a 'package deal' and the other schools don't owe them anything. The Big 12 appears to be a sinking ship, and everyone on board knows it. Once the first schools jump, the other schools will all follow suit to the first life-raft that presents itself. Chances are Baylor and Iowa State will be in the Conference USA when this is all over.

Blake
06-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Just For Fun: The new Big 12 (Nebraska and Missouri Leave)

1. Texas
2. Texas aTm
3. Texas Tech
4. Baylor
5. Oklahoma
6. Oklahoma State
7. TCU
8. Colorado
9. Colorado State
10. New Mexico
11. Kansas
12. Kansas State

Kaiser Toro
06-07-2010, 05:41 PM

1. Texas
2. Texas aTm
3. Texas Tech
4. Baylor
5. Oklahoma
6. Oklahoma State
7. TCU
8. Colorado
9. Colorado State
10. New Mexico
11. Kansas
12. Kansas State

Did Iowa State get swallowed by a sink hole?

Texecutioner
06-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I don't think any of this is going to happen. They've had all kinds of talks about conference expansion over the last year with so many different ideas being tossed around one after another. To get these conference elitists to actually agree on something takes forever. I think this is all a bunch of talk about nothing. Maybe something eventually ends up happening in like 5 years or something, but not any time soon. It takes way to much time and effort to get the decision makers in college football to do anything and rarely ever do they get anything right.

JCTexan
06-07-2010, 05:44 PM

1. Texas
2. Texas aTm
3. Texas Tech
4. Baylor
5. Oklahoma
6. Oklahoma State
7. TCU
8. Colorado
9. Colorado State
10. New Mexico
11. Kansas
12. Kansas State

What happens to Iowa State & why add New Mexico? I wouldn't be too thrilled if the Big 12 added Colorado State & New Mexico. They wouldn't add to the competition of the league IMO. I would hope they would send invites to TCU & Boise State. Small conference schools that could possibly be good competition for Texas & Oklahoma.

Dutchrudder
06-07-2010, 05:57 PM
What happens to Iowa State & why add New Mexico? I wouldn't be too thrilled if the Big 12 added Colorado State & New Mexico. They wouldn't add to the competition of the league IMO. I would hope they would send invites to TCU & Boise State. Small conference schools that could possibly be good competition for Texas & Oklahoma.

Boise State shouldn't get any sort of invite until they change their field to be a natural green color. The blue field is a ridiculous distraction for visiting teams.

JCTexan
06-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Boise State shouldn't get any sort of invite until they change their field to be a natural green color. The blue field is a ridiculous distraction for visiting teams.

Okay, so put a condition in the deal that says they can't have the blue grass. Utah would be another team I would consider sending an invite. If you want to save the Big 12 you have to expand if Nebraska & Missouri leave, & I would want the Big 12 North to be a little more competitive. Adding Boise State & Utah might help make them competitive. Of course this is what I would want to happen if the Big 12 were to lose Missouri & Nebraska, not actually saying it's going to happen.

Blake
06-07-2010, 06:14 PM

Boise is 1/2 way across the US. That doesnt make any sense either.

I was going for keeping things close to one another, and rivals.

Iowa State is out of the way, and Iowa is in the big 10.

If you look at this on a map, adding a school like New Mexico would give us a solid area of big 12 contry.

ATXtexanfan
06-07-2010, 08:42 PM
looks like this will all come down to ND, if they join the big 10 then that will be the end. if not then the big ten will expand to 16 taking mizzou and neb. thus the pac 10 will move on the big 12 and so on

gwallaia
06-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Baylor either gets it's pansy ass kicked in the PAC-10 or gets it's pansy ass kicked in the Big 12. Baylor will get it's pansy ass kicked in what ever conference they end up in.

Goldensilence
06-07-2010, 11:55 PM

So?

Like dealing with the roaring crowds at ATM isn't?
Like dealing with the elevation of Bolder isn't?
Like dealing with some of the fans at Tx Tech isn't a distraction or the arid climate of Lubbock?

That and I actually like the smurf turf.

ArlingtonTexan
06-08-2010, 12:49 AM
Baylor either gets it's pansy ass kicked in the PAC-10 or gets it's pansy ass kicked in the Big 12. Baylor will get it's pansy ass kicked in what ever conference they end up in.

I am sure I am going to get some disagreement for this, but as a total product Baylor is better than Texans Tech. While Tech ahs a may better football program, Baylor competes in all other sports (with very good facilities) and has a deep pocket alumni base even if they don't have the pure numbers of Tech. It is not an accident that Baylor had the influence to get that big twelve spot over UH, Smu, TCU, etc.

IDEXAN
06-08-2010, 07:47 AM
It is not an accident that Baylor had the influence to get that big twelve spot over UH, Smu, TCU, etc.
I'm curious about the clout of Christian schools in the South ? In particular,
how was out-in-the-boondocks Baylor able to land this spot over Fort Worth-based TCU and Dallas-based SMU, especially when one considers that SMU had enough juice to secure a presidential libray, unless that was solely because Bushs wife was an alum ?

gwallaia
06-08-2010, 10:20 AM
I'm curious about the clout of Christian schools in the South ? In particular,
how was out-in-the-boondocks Baylor able to land this spot over Fort Worth-based TCU and Dallas-based SMU, especially when one considers that SMU had enough juice to secure a presidential libray, unless that was solely because Bushs wife was an alum ?

Ann Richards

ArlingtonTexan
06-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Ann Richards

Yep

and SMU was an athletic mess when the Big 8/SWC combined and TCU is sort third fiddle in 90 mile triangle of bible schools

Dutchrudder
06-08-2010, 11:21 AM
So?

Like dealing with the roaring crowds at ATM isn't?
Like dealing with the elevation of Bolder isn't?
Like dealing with some of the fans at Tx Tech isn't a distraction or the arid climate of Lubbock?

That and I actually like the smurf turf.

Those aren't the same at all, every team has the opportunity to fill its stadium with fans, belligerent drunks or not. The elevation of a stadium is not something you can control, but the deliberate coloring of your grass is.

When a QB has the ball in the pocket, it is much more difficult for him to identify the defensive secondary players when they match the turf and the lines. The blue and white is a strategic coloring for the Boise St defense to give them a slight edge in the game, which flies in the face of any sort of idea of fair competition.

pbat488
06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
As I've always heard from people who know here on campus, the then Lt. Governor, who had a law degree from BU, told the presidents of A&M and UT that they'd have a much easier time getting capital projects funded if Baylor was included in the Big XII, which is why A&M has Reed Arena.

gwallaia
06-08-2010, 11:34 AM
As I've always heard from people who know here on campus, the then Lt. Governor, who had a law degree from BU, told the presidents of A&M and UT that they'd have a much easier time getting capital projects funded if Baylor was included in the Big XII, which is why A&M has Reed Arena.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/MYSA081405_3N_SWCbaylor_tech_1ca3e1c_html8528.html

b0ng
06-08-2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/MYSA081405_3N_SWCbaylor_tech_1ca3e1c_html8528.html

Texas politics is so effed up. I'm sure the same sort of garbage is going on right now as well.

steelbtexan
06-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Great read

Blake
06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
So when is all of this supposed to go down? Soon? Later?

gwallaia
06-08-2010, 04:50 PM

If you believe what you read, 2 weeks.

Blake
06-08-2010, 05:04 PM
If you believe what you read, 2 weeks.

I dont believe anything until it happens in the sports world. These fools dont know how to tell the truth.

Works Cited: Nick Saban, Carlos Boozer & Bobby Petrino.

ESAD2-14
06-08-2010, 07:00 PM

I believe the decision pretty much depends on what Nebraska decides to do, and to a lesser extent Missouri. The Big 12 has set a time block of 2 weeks for these schools to make their decisions.

Having UT, TAMU, TT, Oklahoma, Ok St, and any other of the current Big 12 schools associated with the PAC-10 is just weird, based on geographic orientation. Not that it matters as revenue is the driving force behind any decision that will be made.

Goldensilence
06-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I believe the decision pretty much depends on what Nebraska decides to do, and to a lesser extent Missouri. The Big 12 has set a time block of 2 weeks for these schools to make their decisions.

Having UT, TAMU, TT, Oklahoma, Ok St, and any other of the current Big 12 schools associated with the PAC-10 is just weird, based on geographic orientation. Not that it matters as revenue is the driving force behind any decision that will be made.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/06/04/sec-football-and-basketball-the-revenue-breakdown-or-how-the-pac-10-and-big-12-have-fallen-behind/

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2009256167_uwmoney24.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/2094/how-the-big-12-teams-rank-in-revenue-sharing-funds

Interesting.

So it looks like financially there is no incentive for the teams listed to join the PAC 10 unless they start some sort of revenue sharing or start something similar to the Big X network.

Looks like this is what my prior article was alluding in something that made the BIG XII confident enough to push the date for Nebraska and Mizzou to make their decisions.

Still there has been no official offering from the BIG X for Mizzou or Nebraska to join. I still don't see how unless you're geographically speaking that Nebraska fits into the BIG X.

Mizzou might but, would they risk it?

Dan B.
06-09-2010, 12:48 AM
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2010/06/04/sec-football-and-basketball-the-revenue-breakdown-or-how-the-pac-10-and-big-12-have-fallen-behind/

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2009256167_uwmoney24.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/2094/how-the-big-12-teams-rank-in-revenue-sharing-funds

Interesting.

So it looks like financially there is no incentive for the teams listed to join the PAC 10 unless they start some sort of revenue sharing or start something similar to the Big X network.

Looks like this is what my prior article was alluding in something that made the BIG XII confident enough to push the date for Nebraska and Mizzou to make their decisions.

Still there has been no official offering from the BIG X for Mizzou or Nebraska to join. I still don't see how unless you're geographically speaking that Nebraska fits into the BIG X.

Mizzou might but, would they risk it?

The Pac 10's TV deal expires this year, and they would have enormous negotiating clout with the two biggest states in the US in their corner. The Big 12 has several years remaining on theirs. This is why it would make financial sense for the Texas schools to jump to the Pac.

Blake
06-09-2010, 08:55 AM
The only 2 options that make sense to me are as follows.

A: Notre Dame accepts Big 10 invite and decide to stop at 12 teams. Neb and Miz get snubbed and the Big 12 stays intact.

B: Notre Dame stays independant. Neb and Miz get invited to the big 10 along with Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Rutgers, giving the Big 10, 16 teams. The Pac-10 invites Texas, Texas aTm, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado to join up with Arizona, and Arizona State for the Pac-10 South or East. Then the other 8 Pac-10 schools stay the same making the North or West. Then they can have a Championship game.

Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State and Baylor get screwed.

Goldensilence
06-09-2010, 10:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5265631

The source said the school is leaning toward the Big Ten, but an invitation hadn't yet been extended, and there was no indication when that would occur. The consensus within the athletic department is that Nebraska wouldn't separate itself from the Big 12 without some assurance that a Big Ten invitation would come, the source said. The Big Ten has set no date for any announcement in the coming weeks, leaving open the possibility that Nebraska could be left in limbo.

I've maintained this the entire time. Nebraska might want to leave, but I really just don't see how they fit in the Big X's expansion plan other than just getting the conference to X number for a championship game.

Mizzou fits the bill for the Big X, but again there's nothing official on the table for them either.

Geographically the expansion of the PAC 10 just doesn't make sense. That could amount to some serious travel costs for all schools involved.

The PAC 10 would have to make a big contract renegotiation on their TV deal to make it worth it or promise to make a network ala Big X.

Big 12's contract with Fox Sports goes up next year as well so they'll be able to renegotiate that one.

One thing seems pretty certain if the Big 12 does survive this, they're going to have to realign the conferences.

Second Honeymoon
06-09-2010, 11:10 AM
I am sure I am going to get some disagreement for this, but as a total product Baylor is better than Texans Tech. While Tech ahs a may better football program, Baylor competes in all other sports (with very good facilities) and has a deep pocket alumni base even if they don't have the pure numbers of Tech. It is not an accident that Baylor had the influence to get that big twelve spot over UH, Smu, TCU, etc.

Totally agree. Baylor > Texas Tech.

Blake
06-09-2010, 11:25 AM
One thing seems pretty certain if the Big 12 does survive this, they're going to have to realign the conferences.

So what would you do?

North
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State

South
Texas
Texas aTm
Baylor
Texas Tech
Colorado
Missouri

Goldensilence
06-09-2010, 11:42 AM
So what would you do?

North
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State

South
Texas
Texas aTm
Baylor
Texas Tech
Colorado
Missouri

Probably something along those lines. Might exchange K-state or Kansas for Colorado. But that looks like a much better competitively balanced Big XII.

Dutchrudder
06-09-2010, 11:48 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5265631

I've maintained this the entire time. Nebraska might want to leave, but I really just don't see how they fit in the Big X's expansion plan other than just getting the conference to X number for a championship game.

Mizzou fits the bill for the Big X, but again there's nothing official on the table for them either.

Geographically the expansion of the PAC 10 just doesn't make sense. That could amount to some serious travel costs for all schools involved.

The PAC 10 would have to make a big contract renegotiation on their TV deal to make it worth it or promise to make a network ala Big X.

Big 12's contract with Fox Sports goes up next year as well so they'll be able to renegotiate that one.

I hope they do move to the Big 10, and that ND joins them. Then I want to see UT, A&M, OU, OSU, Tech and CU move to the Pac-10. Then the others can fall whereever they may, but I think that would work out well for the moving schools.

Goldensilence
06-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I hope they do move to the Big 10, and that ND joins them. Then I want to see UT, A&M, OU, OSU, Tech and CU move to the Pac-10. Then the others can fall whereever they may, but I think that would work out well for the moving schools.

I just can't get excited by the idea of expanding the Big X beyond one team to make it to 12 and then getting an over bloated Pac-10.

It makes for less conferences and I forsee a bunch of scenarios where you have a bunch of one loss teams trying to make their case for the title game or a BCS bid. Hell or even a year or two ago where the BCS ranking decided who won the South of the Big XII.

ChampionTexan
06-09-2010, 05:10 PM
The plot thickens (reportedly)...

Nebraska apparently has its Big Ten golden ticket now, if you believe Fox Sports Ohio. The cable TV channel reports that Nebraska to the Big 12 could be a done deal by Friday. One high-level Big 12 source pronounced that Nebraska to the Big Ten is a done deal. Another cautioned that Nebraska could still be negotiating a timetable for its full share of the Big Ten revenue pie, estimated at $20 million. Everybody said the Cornhuskers were the key to holding the conference together? If they announced they're gone by the end of the week, what next?

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/061010dnspoblognebraska.886a5d1e.html)

ESAD2-14
06-09-2010, 05:19 PM
One thing to, as a side note. What happens to Jerry's World (in regards to college football) since it is set to host the Big 12 Championship game for some years to come now? If the whole Pac-10 thing goes through and since they play a round robin schedule, for now anyway, and have no championship game to call their own. You think that the Pac-10 will have to institute a Championship Game with the addition of the new teams (if it happens)?

b0ng
06-09-2010, 06:29 PM
ESPN is telling me that Texas is spreading the word to staff that the BigXII is dead.

Blake
06-09-2010, 07:01 PM
ESPN is telling me that Texas is spreading the word to staff that the BigXII is dead.

:ohsnap:

Blake
06-09-2010, 07:16 PM
In response to some articles I have read, why does Nebraska resent Texas? Some say it is a deciding factor in them wanting to join the Big Ten.

Or is it all about money?

mariowillshine15
06-09-2010, 07:18 PM
In response to some articles I have read, why does Nebraska resent Texas? Some say it is a deciding factor in them wanting to join the Big Ten.

Or is it all about money?

It's allllllll about the money. Always has been always will be.

ATXtexanfan
06-09-2010, 08:11 PM
this is cool stuff going on

MojoMan
06-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Nebraska joins the Big 10. From the Houston Chronicle:

Big 12 in limbo as Nebraska joins Big Ten (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7044884.html)
Texas, Texas A&M prepare to meet to discuss plans

Nebraska has accepted an invitation to join the Big Ten and will announce its intentions on Friday, two people with knowledge of the situation said Wednesday.

Reports had surfaced out of Ohio, Nebraska and Texas on Wednesday claiming Nebraska was preparing to accept an invite from the Big Ten.

Nebraska, a Big 12 power, was considered vital to keeping the league together, but it now appears the 14-year-old conference will dissolve with the Cornhuskers’ impending departure. Nebraska’s announcement was pushed forward because of the Big 12’s two-week ultimatum given a week ago demanding a commitment from its members, the source said.

Also, as the Big 12 splits up, Texas and Texas A&M haven’t ruled out becoming members of the Southeastern Conference, the source said. UT officials confirmed Wednesday there is a meeting scheduled between A&M and UT on Thursday to discuss their courses of action. That could include pushing for Baylor to be a part of the Pac-10.

Whether Notre Dame decides to join the 11-member Big Ten will have no bearing on Nebraska becoming the league’s 12th member, the source said.

Also, Colorado is preparing to announce that it will join the Pacific 10, the source said, as a preemptive strike to Baylor making a push through Texas lawmakers to join the other five Big 12 South schools in forming a Pac-10 south division, along with Arizona and Arizona State.

With Nebraska’s announcement scheduled for Friday, the remaining Big 12 members will then have time to sort out where they’re headed, with a south division of the Pac-10 consisting of UT, A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado a very real possibility.

ATXtexanfan
06-09-2010, 08:17 PM
if the pac 10 is smart they will invite baylor over colorado to speed things up, i thing the big ten will further expand if the sixteen pac is born

JB
06-09-2010, 08:23 PM
If they do go forward with this expansion of the Pac 10 and the Big 10, it will be interesting to see how it affects the BCS.

ATXtexanfan
06-09-2010, 08:26 PM
4 super conferences with championship games would create a final four

brakos82
06-09-2010, 08:27 PM

:evil:

b0ng
06-09-2010, 08:27 PM
if the pac 10 is smart they will invite baylor over colorado to speed things up, i thing the big ten will further expand if the sixteen pac is born

My guess is Baylor gets assed out and I am perfectly fine with that. Baylor doesn't bring any kind of new market like Colorado does.

rmartin65
06-09-2010, 08:41 PM
This is not the death of the Big 12. Yet. They can bring someone new in, and maybe re-align the conference, so long as the Pac-10 or the Big 10 dont move in more.

By the way, the Big 10 now has 12 schools, while the Big 12 has 11. Can the colleges count anymore? (your bad joke of the day)

Goldensilence
06-09-2010, 08:41 PM

Not really unless they were willing to turn it into a playoff system of sorts. Which might be a possibility, because from my understanding the BIG XII was opposed to a plus one system.

If both conferences become bloated 16 team ones I expect, if they stay with the BCS system, even more problems when you get a ton of 1 loss teams that have a legit argument to make a BCS game or the title game.

Really I'd rather not see the Big XII break up and it's not a done deal yet. It will be interesting to see if Mizzou jumps the boat as well.

I think it would be interesting to see the BIG XII go after Arkansas and TCU.

ATXtexanfan
06-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Not really unless they were willing to turn it into a playoff system of sorts. Which might be a possibility, because from my understanding the BIG XII was opposed to a plus one system.

If both conferences become bloated 16 team ones I expect, if they stay with the BCS system, even more problems when you get a ton of 1 loss teams that have a legit argument to make a BCS game or the title game.

Really I'd rather not see the Big XII break up.

this final four would give birth to the "plus one". i wonder how much political pull baylor has now. colorado is a mess, they couldn't even buy out their coaches contract, how much did ND pay weiss to leave?

Goldensilence
06-09-2010, 08:50 PM
this final four would give birth to the "plus one". i wonder how much political pull baylor has now. colorado is a mess, they couldn't even buy out their coaches contract, how much did ND pay weiss to leave?

Again not exactly a final four and a "plus one".

I can still forsee situations like a couple of years ago with TT, UT, and OU having the same record and a round robin of loses only to be decided by effin BCS numbers.

ATXtexanfan
06-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Again not exactly a final four and a "plus one".

I can still forsee situations like a couple of years ago with TT, UT, and OU having the same record and a round robin of loses only to be decided by effin BCS numbers.

not with zona and ASU in the mix. j/k, a true playoff will never happen and a plus one is best solution.

Goldensilence
06-09-2010, 09:21 PM
not with zona and ASU in the mix. j/k, a true playoff will never happen and a plus one is best solution.

Problem becomes how you execute a plus one?

Winner of the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl? Orange and Sugar? or a mix and match?

JB
06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Problem becomes how you execute a plus one?

Winner of the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl? Orange and Sugar? or a mix and match?

Bowls are on a rotation. You have #1 play # 4, #2 play #3, and the winners meet.

Blake
06-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Wow just wow. I guess I dont understand why the Big 12 can reload. Why is everyone talking like the Big 12 is dead? Bring in TCU. Bring in Utah. Bring in whomever.

JB
06-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Wow just wow. I guess I dont understand why the Big 12 can reload. Why is everyone talking like the Big 12 is dead? Bring in TCU. Bring in Utah. Bring in whomever.

Totally agree. If Nebraska wants to leave? Fine, see ya! Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Missouri? Even double. Bring in the top two colleges of choice. I like TCU, and Maybe Arkansas. They may look at BYU. Don't know if Boise State is strong enough in other sports (read overall monies) to be enticing.

b0ng
06-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Even though people seem very short memoried here there is no way BYU, TCU, Air Force, or Arkansas would be able to replace the number of eyes on TV's that Nebraska brings. Add in the fact that the lure of the Big Ten is the Big Ten Network. There is no way Texas will be cool in losing out on tons of cash if the PAC 10 expands as well and gets a PAC10 network.

Basically if Nebraska does leave the BigXII is essentially dead as the PAC10 will extend their invitations and UT and company would be dumb not to jump in there.

JB
06-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Even though people seem very short memoried here there is no way BYU, TCU, Air Force, or Arkansas would be able to replace the number of eyes on TV's that Nebraska brings. Add in the fact that the lure of the Big Ten is the Big Ten Network. There is no way Texas will be cool in losing out on tons of cash if the PAC 10 expands as well and gets a PAC10 network.

Basically if Nebraska does leave the BigXII is essentially dead as the PAC10 will extend their invitations and UT and company would be dumb not to jump in there.

I guess I just don't understand what huge following Nebraska brings.

gwallaia
06-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Well Baylor, it was fun while it lasted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/gwallaia/richards-p01.jpg

b0ng
06-09-2010, 11:55 PM

Nebraska has sucked recently in football but they are still one of the most winningest CFB programs around and have a huge following with a boatload of alums. The Cornhuskers have basically been the only real competition in the north for the BigXII and them leaving turns that whole division into a joke.

Carr Bombed
06-10-2010, 01:00 AM

Nebraska is basically what Alabama was before Saben....

They are a huge football program that has been dormant for over a decade, but they are on their way back and once they get back they'll be just as big as Texas, Alabama, Ohio State ect.....basically right there with any top football program.

Losing a team like Nebraska pretty much kills the conference, because now the only other major historical "elite" football program is Oklahoma. I mean there's A&M, but let's be honest here...they've been down for so long they aren't even that relevant as far as premiere football programs go.

It really does sound like the Big XII is dead.

TexanSam
06-10-2010, 01:16 AM
From Stewart Mandel's twitter.

http://twitter.com/slmandel/status/15827250867
One more bomb before bed: Source confirmed to @Andy_Staples that SEC is making a play for Texas A&M

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/06/10/aggies.options/index.html

JCTexan
06-10-2010, 01:21 AM
If Texas A&M & Texas go to the SEC would the Pac-10 still send offers to the other four Big XII schools they're interested in?

b0ng
06-10-2010, 01:31 AM
They might but it wouldn't be nearly as mouth watering for them. Replacing TAMU and UT would be tough and they wouldn't want TTU by itself without UT and TAMU coming along.

Goldensilence
06-10-2010, 01:33 AM
If Texas A&M & Texas go to the SEC would the Pac-10 still send offers to the other four Big XII schools they're interested in?

My guess is yes, because they'll still want to get to 12 or 14 for a title game.

Weird though that the SEC would make a play for A&M before UT.

ChampionTexan
06-10-2010, 01:43 AM
From Stewart Mandel's twitter.

http://twitter.com/slmandel/status/15827250867

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/06/10/aggies.options/index.html

My guess is that Texas and A&M aren't going anywhere without both going, and Texas isn't going to the SEC.

Sounds like we should know for certain fairly soon.

b0ng
06-10-2010, 02:23 AM
All hail the most interesting CFB offseason in the last like 15 Years.

EDIT: If TAMU accepted the invite I doubt the S E C (stupid phone) would turn down UT if the Texas legislature tried to make it difficult.

IDEXAN
06-10-2010, 09:20 AM
I don't see UT going to the SEC where there's more competition than they have an appetite for. On the other hand being in their own division of the
PAC16 with OK as the only real competition would suit their style better.
On another subject, don't get the Big 10 being more interested in the Cornhuskers than Mizzou ? They may have more of a football tradition than
Mizzou, but the Tigers have the population with good sized metro areas in
St.Louis & KC (which is where the TV markets are, and that's where the money is), while Nebraska is a very sparsely populated state with no major TV markets.

Kaiser Toro
06-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Nebraska has been mediocre because they can't get in the Partial Qualifiers like they used to.

As far as their following goes, yes they travel very well, but that support does not have scale when it comes to audience and demographics.

A&M is a great fit for the SEC, and would love to see them move on.

Texas as an independent has a nice ring to it.

Dutchrudder
06-10-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't see UT going to the SEC where there's more competition than they have an appetite for. On the other hand being in their own division of the
PAC16 with OK as the only real competition would suit their style better.
On another subject, don't get the Big 10 being more interested in the Cornhuskers than Mizzou ? They may have more of a football tradition than
Mizzou, but the Tigers have the population with good sized metro areas in
St.Louis & KC (which is where the TV markets are, and that's where the money is), while Nebraska is a very sparsely populated state with no major TV markets.

Don't count Mizzou out of the Big 10 yet. There is mutual interest, and their invite might be contingent on getting another school to join so they can make and even 14. Nebraska is just the first mover.

b0ng
06-10-2010, 10:01 AM
My guess based on what I've read, is that NU, MU, ND, and either 'Cuse or Rutgers goes to the BIgX.
UT, TAMU, TTU, OU, OSU, and CU do end up in the PAC10.
Not sure what the S E C adds, maybe another Florida school or two :confused:
Big East and Big XII both go belly up with the leftovers going into the ACC, MWT, and possibly C-USA.

I think Kansas ends up getting screwed in this whole deal. It'd be pretty cool though if the BigXII does stay together with the big Texas schools leaving and Houston gets it's rightful spot in the (now much weaker) BigXII along with TCU, Memphis, BYU, Air Force, Boise St.

I also am leaning more towards this happening in hopes a playoff is spawned from big mega conferences forming.

ArlingtonTexan
06-10-2010, 10:20 AM
just to add another rumor

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/

It can’t be that simple, though, right? If you’ve been following my Twitter feed (@frankthetank111), I had a brief interaction with @FakeJimDelany where he asked me whether I had bugged his phone, to which I replied, “I only get my info from Northwestern message boards.” Well, the Northwestern message boards put up another doozy of a rumor tonight: in addition to Nebraska, the Big Ten will be offering invites to Texas, Texas A&M, Notre Dame and Missouri. The Missouri invite, however, is contingent upon either Texas or Notre Dame accepting. Who knows how this is going to play out and whether the Big Ten would truly hand out invites (or more specifically, asking the candidates to fill out the applications for invites) without knowing whether the answer is yes, but I do know that the poster (who had written the infamous post that reportedly sent Jim Delany flying off the handle, was removed for a couple of weeks and is now back online) has a legit and direct connection to the Big Ten office. So, if this offer is true, the choice for Texas is what I laid out in yesterday’s “Double Chess” post: the comfortable Kia of the Pac-10 that won’t upset its Lone Star neighbors or the Rolls Royce of the new Big Ten

Blake
06-10-2010, 10:20 AM
My guess based on what I've read, is that NU, MU, ND, and either 'Cuse or Rutgers goes to the BIgX.
UT, TAMU, TTU, OU, OSU, and CU do end up in the PAC10.
Not sure what the S E C adds, maybe another Florida school or two :confused:
Big East and Big XII both go belly up with the leftovers going into the ACC, MWT, and possibly C-USA.

I think Kansas ends up getting screwed in this whole deal. It'd be pretty cool though if the BigXII does stay together with the big Texas schools leaving and Houston gets it's rightful spot in the (now much weaker) BigXII along with TCU, Memphis, BYU, Air Force, Boise St.

I also am leaning more towards this happening in hopes a playoff is spawned from big mega conferences forming.

I am with you. I think the Big 12 should nab Utah, TCU, Houston, Colorado State or New Mexico and go to 16 teams theirselves.

b0ng
06-10-2010, 11:15 AM
I am with you. I think the Big 12 should nab Utah, TCU, Houston, Colorado State or New Mexico and go to 16 teams theirselves.

If only UH fans had shown more support for their football team (and I'm guilty of being apathetic about them), what could have been. Right now they just have to hope that something like that happens so they can get out of the cesspit of C-USA.

Intriguing would be the opportunity for UH to play Baylor. Revenge on Art Briles and getting us relegated to C-USA years and years ago? Yes please. (Also revenge for giving us the usually terrible John McClain)

b0ng
06-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Colorado is gone (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2010-06-10/colorado-set-announce-move-pac-10).

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/b0ngerz/attachment-4.gif

rmartin65
06-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Colorado is gone (http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2010-06-10/colorado-set-announce-move-pac-10).

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/b0ngerz/attachment-4.gif

Holy crap. 2 down, Big 12 down to 10 teams, Big 10 at 12, and the Pac 10 at 11.

Dutchrudder
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
IT'S THE BEGINNING OF THE END!!! Everybody PANIC!!!:panic:

:firehair::firehair::firehair::firehair::firehair:

Hoss
06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
:francis: oh noz!!!!!!!!!

rmartin65
06-10-2010, 01:12 PM
What season does this kick in?

Dutchrudder
06-10-2010, 01:25 PM
what season does this kick in?

2012-2013

Blake
06-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Holy crap. 2 down, Big 12 down to 10 teams, Big 10 at 12, and the Pac 10 at 11.

Nebraska hasnt been invited to the big ten yet. But they are probably gone by Friday.

Blake
06-10-2010, 01:32 PM

I canbelievable...

rmartin65
06-10-2010, 02:01 PM
2012-2013

Thanks.

Stemp
06-10-2010, 02:20 PM
TMZ is reporting Ok St is has accepted the PAC 10 offer.

Ryan
06-10-2010, 02:47 PM
The Texas Schools are all going to be playing the waiting game waiting on each other. I suspect Tech to leave first.

Yankee_In_TX
06-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Nebraska hasnt been invited to the big ten yet. But they are probably gone by Friday.

They've been told to apply for membership, which is pretty much being invited (unless the process has changed).

Good, now everyone can blame Colorado instead of Nebraska - all this Big 12 crap of 'oh no, if Nebraska goes we're doomed.'

No, you're doomed because your commission is an *****.

Blake
06-10-2010, 03:30 PM
They've been told to apply for membership, which is pretty much being invited (unless the process has changed).

Good, now everyone can blame Colorado instead of Nebraska - all this Big 12 crap of 'oh no, if Nebraska goes we're doomed.'

No, you're doomed because your commission is an *****.

Yeah I was just pointing out that it hasnt been announced as done yet.

Question, what did the Big 12 commissioner do to be an *****?

b0ng
06-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Wasn't he a big reason why the BigXII voted 'no' to the playoffs?

b0ng
06-10-2010, 04:11 PM
KC CBS Affliate report (http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html)

Texas Hold 'Em: Longhorns, A&M To Big Ten
Oklahoma Looking To Move To SEC, Needs 1 Other School

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.

KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

KCTV5's sources also said that some Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which deals Big 12 schools take invitations by the end of the day Thursday, although the deals may not be officially announced. Big 12 officials also tell KCTV5's sources that some Big 12 office employees are planning to be without a job within weeks.

Those decisions would leave the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and the University of Missouri with Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State in the Big 12. The Missouri Board of Curators met Thursday and planned to meet Friday to discuss the future of Missouri sports.

Well okay then, I have no idea anymore. Texas has been linked to damn near every conference in the BCS at this point.

Yankee_In_TX
06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
holy sh!t. Nebraska, Texas, Aggies. I would be stoked. All the rivalries I live in the middle of combined with the traditions and rivalries I group up with.

However, believe it when I see it on any one going any where.

ChampionTexan
06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
KC CBS Affliate report (http://www.kctv5.com/sports/23860558/detail.html)

Well okay then, I have no idea anymore. Texas has been linked to damn near every conference in the BCS at this point.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.

Counterpoint:

Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione told the Tulsa World that the Sooners' position is that it's going to stick with Texas wherever the Longhorns go because of the long history between the two schools.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/061110dnospotulsaworld.8d96730f.html)

Yankee_In_TX
06-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah I was just pointing out that it hasnt been announced as done yet.

Question, what did the Big 12 commissioner do to be an *****?

You get $ from a new tv deal or playoffs. He said no to playoffs and they had no leverage for a new TV deal.

Big Ten starts courting Texas, and rather than looking to expand the Big 12 and get a better TV deal, he sat on his hands because his comissioner buddy (heard this part on the radio - no source) promised him they wouldn't poach any Big 12 teams.

Goldensilence
06-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Counterpoint:

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/061110dnospotulsaworld.8d96730f.html)

You have to figure those three schools have to be looking at being a package deal. UT wouldn't want to have to schedule two tough non-conference games with A&M and OU.

Not sure either A&M or OU would been keen on the idea of having to schedule UT as a non conference game either.

At this point might be in Tech's interest to apply for PAC 10 membership or get left out in the cold.

Wolf
06-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Colorado accepts invitation to join Pac-10

DENVER (AP)—The college sports landscape began a much-anticipated shift Thursday with the University of Colorado accepting an invitation to join the Pac-10.

The Buffaloes might not be the only team bolting from the Big 12. Nebraska could become part of the Big Ten as soon as Friday, and speculation is heavy that Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State may also jump to the Pac-10 to possibly form a 16-team super conference.

“This is the dawning of a new day for the Pac-10,” commissioner Larry Scott said shortly after announcing Colorado as the league’s 11th member.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news;_ylt=AqBJdCfeN8UvrIeHNzEC44k5nYcB?slug=ap-pac-10expansion

b0ng
06-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Geoff Ketchum's twitter (orangebloods.com) (http://twitter.com/gkketch)

Just said on @1049TheHorn from @ChipBrownOB - SEC offers Texas/A&M a chance to join the SEC. They'd move 2 schools to the East from West.

I might as well just add all the unsubstantiated rumours whenever I find them. They are the best kind of rumours.

JB
06-10-2010, 07:43 PM

I might as well just add all the unsubstantiated rumours whenever I find them. They are the best kind of rumours.

I would actually like that. The Horns could still schedule OU every year, plus the would get to play LSU every year & Florida every two. Nice!

b0ng
06-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I would actually like that. The Horns could still schedule OU every year, plus the would get to play LSU every year & Florida every two. Nice!

Horns are probably not liking the idea of possibly getting their clocks cleaned by 'bama/LSU or Florida for a year or two. I think they like the idea of walking into the PAC-16 just as USC is going to be buried. (TOTAL SPECULATION ON MY PART).

I would love to see the Horns and OU go to the SEC and cement that as the best football conference. Don't think that's going to happen.

ATXtexanfan
06-10-2010, 08:18 PM

see notre dame

ATXtexanfan
06-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Horns are probably not liking the idea of possibly getting their clocks cleaned by 'bama/LSU or Florida for a year or two. I think they like the idea of walking into the PAC-16 just as USC is going to be buried. (TOTAL SPECULATION ON MY PART).

I would love to see the Horns and OU go to the SEC and cement that as the best football conference. Don't think that's going to happen.

yeah i think the horns are scared of the sec, if they go 16 pac they will still get their 10 wins

Dan B.
06-11-2010, 02:37 AM

Just said on @1049TheHorn from @ChipBrownOB - SEC offers Texas/A&M a chance to join the SEC. They'd move 2 schools to the East from West.

I don't think the SEC is going to create a 6 team Eastern and an 8 team Western Division. This dude needs to learn journalism and verify that what he is being spoon fed is accurate, or at least learn to count.

Dan B.
06-11-2010, 02:40 AM
see notre dame

Nebraska doesn't have the nationwide religious affiliation that Notre Dame does. I tend to agree that Nebraska alone is not a big win for the Big 10. I doubt they are done. Ditto for the Pac 10 -- I don't think Colorado alone was their goal, and I certainly don't buy that they would take Oklahoma State without one of the major Big 12 schools coming first.

Kulluminatii
06-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Nebraska doesn't have the nationwide religious affiliation that Notre Dame does. I tend to agree that Nebraska alone is not a big win for the Big 10. I doubt they are done. Ditto for the Pac 10 -- I don't think Colorado alone was their goal, and I certainly don't buy that they would take Oklahoma State without one of the major Big 12 schools coming first.

Yeah, its pretty obvious to see that the Pac 10 has a hard-on for UT, and pretty much UT alone. Any other school that decides to come along is ok if it means they get UT.

IDEXAN
06-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Yeah, its pretty obvious to see that the Pac 10 has a hard-on for UT, and pretty much UT alone. Any other school that decides to come along is ok if it means they get UT.
OK would also have to be viewed as a prize for the PAC10. They may not bring along the big TV markets that UT does, but they have a history and football tradition at the national level that is every bit as impressive as UTs.
And that counts for a lot because that's why the Big 10 wanted Nebraska more than Missouri, which has the big metro TV markets while Nebraska certainly doses not.

b0ng
06-11-2010, 09:39 AM
OK would also have to be viewed as a prize for the PAC10. They may not bring along the big TV markets that UT does, but they have a history and football tradition at the national level that is every bit as impressive as UTs.
And that counts for a lot because that's why the Big 10 wanted Nebraska more than Missouri, which has the big metro TV markets while Nebraska certainly doses not.

I think the PAC wants UT/OU both, but would take either/or if it came down to it. I'm pretty sure that OU has stated publicly that they would like to stick with Texas or at least see where Texas goes, so I think there is a high chance that whichever conference lands one they'll get the other. With USC getting handed their own asses by the NCAA you can bet the PAC-whatever wants both the flagships from the BIG XII, especially with a new television network being created.

b0ng
06-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Live coverage of Nebraska board of regents meeting to determine move to BigX (http://www.huskerextra.com/chats/)

dc_txtech
06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Live coverage of Nebraska board of regents meeting to determine move to BigX (http://www.huskerextra.com/chats/)

Can't watch at work. Anybody care to give a synopsis?

b0ng
06-11-2010, 02:32 PM
ESPN isn't reporting it yet but unofficially Nebraska is gone (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/11/2009414/nebraska-bolts-for-the-big-ten.html).

Bye bye BigXII, we hardly knew ye.

EDIT: Omaha World Herald confirming (http://www.omaha.com/article/20100611/SPORTS/306119924/-1#nebraska-to-the-big-ten).

b0ng
06-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Can't watch at work. Anybody care to give a synopsis?

It's a live blog of the events as the video isn't working. But basically everybody around Nebraska is saying this is a done deal and at 4:45pm today they are going to officially announce it.

J_R
06-11-2010, 02:58 PM
ChipBrownOB
Texas will announce its plans to join the Pac-10 after its regents meet next Tuesday, source confirm to Orangebloods.com.

ChipBrownOB
TYPO COR: B12 Souh schools (TX, TTech, OU, OSU) confirm to OB with Neb move they go to Pac-10!!! Sorry bout that!!

ChipBrownOB
B12 South schools (TX, TTech, OU, OSU) confirm to Orangebloods.com that with Neb move they go to B10.

ChipBrownOB
Sources say Nebraska will announce it's move to the Big Ten at news conference after regents meeting, roughly 5 pm today.

Dan B.
06-11-2010, 03:31 PM
ChipBrownOB
Texas will announce its plans to join the Pac-10 after its regents meet next Tuesday, source confirm to Orangebloods.com.

ChipBrownOB
TYPO COR: B12 Souh schools (TX, TTech, OU, OSU) confirm to OB with Neb move they go to Pac-10!!! Sorry bout that!!

ChipBrownOB
B12 South schools (TX, TTech, OU, OSU) confirm to Orangebloods.com that with Neb move they go to B10.

ChipBrownOB
Sources say Nebraska will announce it's move to the Big Ten at news conference after regents meeting, roughly 5 pm today.

Where's A&M?

b0ng
06-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Where's A&M?

Thinking about going to the SEC.

Texecutioner
06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
I still can't get a handle on why the hell Texas A&M wants to join the SEC?

Dan B.
06-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Thinking about going to the SEC.

I've heard, but I have a hard time believing that A&M would do something that shortsighted. When you are barely breaking .500 in the Big 12 you should seriously consider how competitive you would be in the SEC. Especially if UT, OU, Tech, and OSU band together and freeze out A&M in any sport if they make the jump to the SEC (another baseless rumor I've heard. They don't want big name schools poaching recruits). I am surprised that UT, OU, et al would commit to anything, but it kind of lends credence to the rumor. I wonder if Chip Brown is being played. His sources may just be feeding him rumors because they know he's going to blindly post them without verifying anything. He's the guy that "broke" UT going to the NC game a few years ago after all.

b0ng
06-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I've heard, but I have a hard time believing that A&M would do something that shortsighted (when you are barely breaking .500 in the Big 12 you should seriously consider how competitive you would be in the SEC). Especially if UT, OU, Tech, and OSU band together and freeze out A&M in any sport if they make the jump to the SEC. (another baseless rumor I've heard. They don't want big name schools poaching recruits). I am surprised that UT, OU, et al would commit to anything, but it kind of lends credence to the rumor. I wonder if Chip Brown is being played. His sources may just be feeding him rumors because they know he's going to blindly post them without verifying anything. He's the guy that "broke" UT going to the NC game a few years ago after all.

Well nobody knows what is going through TAMU's head with going to the SEC, but it could easily be to escape the shadow of UT. If TAMU left all the other Texas schools, I'm sure they would have to know that they wouldn't have any sort of working relationship with any of the other PAC schools.

Also, it could very well be something as silly as not wanting to work with the "LIBRULS" in Cal state and whatnot.

Who knows, but those are the rumors right now.

b0ng
06-11-2010, 03:53 PM
You know what, eff TAMU in their silly backwards asses, and invite Houston to the SEC.

b0ng
06-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Possibility that the formation of these superconferences turning into a football playoff? Hopefully higher.

pbat488
06-11-2010, 04:27 PM
You know what, eff TAMU in their silly backwards asses, and invite Houston to the SEC.

What's wrong with exploring all available options to make the best choice possible? Bill Byrnes said earlier, and I'm paraphrasing, but basically "ADs are mercenaries, and they're going to look after their schools first" and I believe that's what he and the other Regents and President are doing.

And yes, Houston is a perfect fit in the SEC....

b0ng
06-11-2010, 04:30 PM
What's wrong with exploring all available options to make the best choice possible? Bill Byrnes said earlier, and I'm paraphrasing, but basically "ADs are mercenaries, and they're going to look after their schools first" and I believe that's what he and the other Regents and President are doing.

And yes, Houston is a perfect fit in the SEC....

Basically my reasoning for wanting TAMU with UT are purely selfish. I don't think Houston would get a spot in the SEC over a team like TCU, but hey stranger things have always happened, and Houston would be a great market for the SEC to try to tap into. It's nothing against A&M in specific, but I'd like to see the local guys go play with the big boys and see if that can help get more talent for the football program.

I think TAMU getting out of the "little brother" shadow of UT could be good for them even if it screws them in the short term. They should look long and hard at that, but I just don't see it happening. I think UT would pitch such a shit fit that they would do everything they could to screw over TAMU.

pbat488
06-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Truth be told, if the A&M and UT to Big 10 rumors were true, that is what I would be most in favor of. Keeps the two flagship universities together and in a conference with great academics, great athletics, and great tradition. Not to mention the Big 14 that would result would be the most powerful conference in the country bar none.

MojoMan
06-11-2010, 05:18 PM
I still can't get a handle on why the hell Texas A&M wants to join the SEC?

I don't have any special knowledge about how interested A&M really is in joining the SEC. But Texas is an interesting state, in that you can make a case that it is a "Southern" state, or a "Western" state. Personally, I think it has elements of both, which is why the question has never been conclusively answered.

However, Texas A&M is, in my view a "Southern" university, while Texas is a "Western" university. So, culturally speaking, Texas A&M more naturally fits in together with the (Southern) SEC schools, while Texas more naturally fits in with the (Western) PAC 10 schools.

It does make sense if you look at it that way. However, I have no reason to necessarily believe that the final decision at either school will be made primarily based on these factors.

TexanSam
06-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Truth be told, if the A&M and UT to Big 10 rumors were true, that is what I would be most in favor of. Keeps the two flagship universities together and in a conference with great academics, great athletics, and great tradition. Not to mention the Big 14 that would result would be the most powerful conference in the country bar none.

I think Texas would be much more inclined to be in the same conference with Oklahoma and not A&M rather than the other way around. I wouldn't consider A&M one of the flagship universities anymore. They haven't done squat in football in years.

ATXtexanfan
06-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't have any special knowledge about how interested A&M really is in joining the SEC. But Texas is an interesting state, in that you can make a case that it is a "Southern" state, or a "Western" state. Personally, I think it has elements of both, which is why the question has never been conclusively answered.

However, Texas A&M is, in my view a "Southern" university, while Texas is a "Western" university. So, culturally speaking, Texas A&M more naturally fits in together with the (Southern) SEC schools, while Texas more naturally fits in with the (Western) PAC 10 schools.

It does make sense if you look at it that way. However, I have no reason to necessarily believe that the final decision at either school will be made primarily based on these factors.

nice post, i would like to see tamu in the sec. can you imagine when florida, bama, etc visit college station. little bro wants to breaks loose then let him. i dont see it happening but it would be sweet. i don't see the pac 16 as a mega conference. it will still be OU and UT battling it out.

pbat488
06-11-2010, 07:44 PM
I think Texas would be much more inclined to be in the same conference with Oklahoma and not A&M rather than the other way around. I wouldn't consider A&M one of the flagship universities anymore. They haven't done squat in football in years.

Being a flagship university in Texas means you are privy to endowments from the permanent university fund; it has nothing to do with football. Only the UT and A&M systems are endowed by the PUF.

No denying the part about sucking at football though, that's the truth.

MojoMan
06-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Hot off the presses from the Houston Chronicle. Texas, Tech, OU & OSU are purportedly on their way to the PAC 10. But A&M is not mentioned. Could the Aggies and the Longhorns be parting ways after all these years?

Texas, three others leaving Big 12 for Pacific-10 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texas/7048932.html)

Two people with direct knowledge of the situation said Friday evening that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pacific-10 Conference, forming a south division with Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State.

The UT regents board is meeting Tuesday in Austin. Texas A&M is mulling the Pac-10 deal or joining the Southeastern Conference. The two insiders refuted a report that Texas A&M has a 72-hour deadline to make a commitment to the Pac 10.

Colorado departed the crumbling Big 12 on Thursday, and Nebraska followed Friday by committing to the Big Ten. In addition, the state’s House Committee on Higher Education will meet Wednesday morning “to discuss matters pertaining to higher education, including collegiate athletics.”

Both A&M insiders said they knew of no such deadline and that A&M would make a decision on what conference to be a part of after careful deliberation. A report on the Austin newspaper's Web site cited a “highly placed official from a Big 12 school” as claiming A&M has a 72-hour timetable.

TexanSam
06-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Being a flagship university in Texas means you are privy to endowments from the permanent university fund; it has nothing to do with football. Only the UT and A&M systems are endowed by the PUF.

No denying the part about sucking at football though, that's the truth.

My mistake. Is keeping them together simply because they are the flagship universities of the state incentive enough though? I wouldn't think that the endowments or anything would change if they are in separate conferences.

Granted, because of the rivalry and history between the schools that may be reason enough for them to go to the same conference. If not though, I would hope that the UT/A&M game still goes on every year.

Goldensilence
06-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Hot off the presses from the Houston Chronicle. Texas, Tech, OU & OSU are purportedly on their way to the PAC 10. But A&M is not mentioned. Could the Aggies and the Longhorns be parting ways after all these years?

I don't know why A&M would want to join the SEC. Imagine having the brutal schedule of the SEC then having to schedule UT as a non conference game.

rmartin65
06-11-2010, 07:55 PM

If that happens, the PAC 10 needs another team. That is a 15 team league, making the divisions unbalanced. They need another "south" team.

South is in quotes, because it is really a west division.

MojoMan
06-11-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't know why A&M would want to join the SEC. Imagine having the brutal schedule of the SEC then having to schedule UT as a non conference game.

The Aggies are a proud lot, if nothing else. Maybe they believe the pose a bigger threat to the teams in the SEC than the teams in the SEC do to the Aggies. Just saying.

ATXtexanfan
06-11-2010, 07:58 PM
If that happens, the PAC 10 needs another team. That is a 15 team league, making the divisions unbalanced. They need another "south" team.

utah?

rmartin65
06-11-2010, 08:00 PM
utah?

Maybe, but the MWC just made a huge play in getting Boise State. I dont think they move. I think Kansas is a dark horse candidate here. Decent football program, outstanding at hoops. Brings Kansas over (not a huge market, but better than nothing).

b0ng
06-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Apparently UofH is trying like hell to use this re-alignment to get the fudge out of C-USA. God I really hope this happens. I would take UofH in the MWC or even the re-formed BigXII (Although I think it's just going to go belly up completely), and my wet dream would be the SEC.

ATXtexanfan
06-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Maybe, but the MWC just made a huge play in getting Boise State. I dont think they move. I think Kansas is a dark horse candidate here. Decent football program, outstanding at hoops. Brings Kansas over (not a huge market, but better than nothing).

i believe they are tied to kansas st by kansas law, i swear i heard that on the radio

TexanSam
06-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Apparently UofH is trying like hell to use this re-alignment to get the fudge out of C-USA. God I really hope this happens. I would take UofH in the MWC or even the re-formed BigXII (Although I think it's just going to go belly up completely), and my wet dream would be the SEC.

UH doesn't offer anything though. They've been good at football recently but they still don't draw anybody. Tom Penders took UH out of the gutter in basketball but that's about it. They don't draw anybody to the games either. I don't see how any conference would have much interest in them. Same for almost all of the programs in CUSA.

I'm hoping CUSA can somehow add Kansas, Kansas State, and/or one or two other teams that are left out from the Big 12 breaking up.

MojoMan
06-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Nobody is discussing Baylor.

Anyone have any prognostications about where the Bears end up?

b0ng
06-11-2010, 08:12 PM
UH doesn't offer anything though. They've been good at football recently but they still don't draw anybody. Tom Penders took UH out of the gutter in basketball but that's about it. They don't draw anybody to the games either. I don't see how any conference would have much interest in them. Same for almost all of the programs in CUSA.

I'm hoping CUSA can somehow add Kansas, Kansas State, and/or one or two other teams that are left out from the Big 12 breaking up.

It's the city of Houston that any prospective conference would want, plus they are gearing up to build a new stadium over Robertson and they want to spend 40 million to refurb Hoffeinz.

Especially if UH is the only Texas school added whichever conference will also get to raid Texas for recruits. It's not all about the competition they would add in Football and Hoops.

Remember, Houston is a city of 2.2 million people and a ton of blue chippers come from here.

rmartin65
06-11-2010, 08:14 PM
i believe they are tied to kansas st by kansas law, i swear i heard that on the radio

Oh, sucks for them. Thanks.

WWJD
06-11-2010, 08:42 PM
I love college football but I don't get all this realignment of conferences.

The only thing wrong with the game is the lack of a playoff system.

MojoMan
06-11-2010, 08:46 PM
I love college football but I don't get all this realignment of conferences.

The only thing wrong with the game is the lack of a playoff system.

Maybe they are just backing into it. All they have to do is just keep merging conferences together until you have all the legitimate teams in one conference, and then have a conference playoff series. After that, everyone would still go to a bowl game. More money, more money, more money.

Just a thought.

ATXtexanfan
06-11-2010, 08:54 PM

baylor doesn't have the tangibles for big boy football ala UH. they are a c-usa team so to speak.

b0ng
06-11-2010, 09:02 PM

My guess is that they try to stay with the Big XII if they don't dissolve the conference. If they do, then I see some C-USA in their future.

ATXtexanfan
06-11-2010, 09:03 PM
It's the city of Houston that any prospective conference would want, plus they are gearing up to build a new stadium over Robertson and they want to spend 40 million to refurb Hoffeinz.

Especially if UH is the only Texas school added whichever conference will also get to raid Texas for recruits. It's not all about the competition they would add in Football and Hoops.

Remember, Houston is a city of 2.2 million people and a ton of blue chippers come from here.

but the houston market is owned by UT and A&M. UH is insignificant bro. who grows up wanting to play for UH? are you an alumni?

J_R
06-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Could depend on what A&M does. If they head to the SEC, Kansas or Baylor could be that final team going with Texas, OU, etc. Though, who does the PAC_ want? Kansas or Baylor? Or maybe neither and say Utah? I read that the PAC_ doesnt really value or see anything in Baylor.

As for the future of Baylor, which seemed in doubt Thursday when Colorado accepted the Pac-10's invitation to join, the official said the Bears could still end up in the Pac-10.

It all depends on A&M, the official said.

''If A&M doesn't go, Baylor's got a window to go," the official said. "(Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech) -- none of them have anything against Baylor. We're not opposed to Baylor, and we've said positive things about them."

But, the official continued, "The schools on the West Coast just don't see the benefit of Baylor. The Pac-10 is talking more about Kansas and Utah because they bring different (television) markets. Baylor's been lobbying everybody around Texas. They need to be lobbying California."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/061210dnospoaustinreport.92f8114a.html

If they don't go to the Pac_, not sure where Baylor and the remaining 5(?) teams go.

ChampionTexan
06-11-2010, 09:06 PM

Texas, three others leaving Big 12 for Pacific-10

Two people with direct knowledge of the situation said Friday evening that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pacific-10 Conference, forming a south division with Colorado, Arizona and Arizona State.

The UT regents board is meeting Tuesday in Austin. Texas A&M is mulling the Pac-10 deal or joining the Southeastern Conference. The two insiders refuted a report that Texas A&M has a 72-hour deadline to make a commitment to the Pac 10.

Colorado departed the crumbling Big 12 on Thursday, and Nebraska followed Friday by committing to the Big Ten. In addition, the state’s House Committee on Higher Education will meet Wednesday morning “to discuss matters pertaining to higher education, including collegiate athletics.”

Both A&M insiders said they knew of no such deadline and that A&M would make a decision on what conference to be a part of after careful deliberation. A report on the Austin newspaper's Web site cited a “highly placed official from a Big 12 school” as claiming A&M has a 72-hour timetable.

The bolded part of your article seems like it would constitute a mention of A&M.

b0ng
06-11-2010, 09:09 PM
but the houston market is owned by UT and A&M. UH is insignificant bro. who grows up wanting to play for UH? are you an alumni?

The only reason that UH doesn't control a majority of this market is because our football/basketball teams have basically stunk for awhile and are coming back up. Remember the interest that was sparked when UH beat up SMU and TTU? Yeah. The city would root for UH if it were able to compete. UH would be able to recruit if it was able to get on national TV all the time playing <insert conference with BCS auto-bid>. Recruits would come to UH over other colleges if they were going to get national exposure playing <insert conference with BCS auto bid>.

UH can bring plenty to the table, and the fact that people watch UT and TAMU more than UH is because UH football has been dookie up until recently. Trust me, there are plenty of conferences that would look at UH with an interesting eye.

And no, I'm not an alumni. Thanks for the condescending tone though, must feel nice.

WWJD
06-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Maybe they are just backing into it. All they have to do is just keep merging conferences together until you have all the legitimate teams in one conference, and then have a conference playoff series. After that, everyone would still go to a bowl game. More money, more money, more money.

Just a thought.

All these teams changing has just turned my brain into mush regarding college ball. It's all really confusing to me at the moment. I need to watch ESPN (can't believe I said that) to see what exactly is going on here. You are right though..it's all about the money!

pbat488
06-11-2010, 09:14 PM
For any that can't stand Richard Justice, this is pretty good..

http://www.big12journal.com/texas/aggies-should-avoid-message-boards-chron-reporter-should-avoid-twitter

MojoMan
06-11-2010, 09:16 PM
The bolded part of your article seems like it would constitute a mention of A&M.

Well, you are right. I should have said that A&M was not mentioned as one of the teams going to the PAC 10. Of course, A&M still might go to the PAC 10 anyway. Or maybe they go to the SEC, as has been discussed throughout this thread. Personally, I think it would be very exciting for A&M to go to the SEC, from an A&M perspective.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am a graduate of the University of Texas.

J_R
06-11-2010, 09:21 PM
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/06/sources-texas-tech-oklahoma-osu-to-pac-1.html

Get ready for the Pac-16, with at least four transplanted Big 12 South teams, led by Texas, multiple sources confirmed Friday.

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott, fresh from welcoming Colorado to the conference Friday, was flying to the states of Texas and Oklahoma with invitations to the nation's first mega-conference, a source familiar with the scenario said.

Joining the Longhorns would be Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma. Texas A&M could be the fifth team, but the Aggies remain undecided, torn between seeking a bid to the Southeastern Conference and joining their South rivals in the expanded Pac-10.

With the Texas board of regents scheduled to meet Tuesday to address college realignment issues (accept the Pac-10 bid), the Aggies might have little time to sort out the inner conflict. A source familiar with the scenarios said Pac-10 would quickly move to invite Kansas, with its proud basketball program and proximity to the Kansas City market.

A&M, without a clear invitation to the Southeastern Conference, would be gambling on SEC membership or else being left with four other schools in the Big 12.

Conflicting reports out there about whether A&M has an invitation or not.

Edit: kbohls

SEC school source tells me that "A&M is a school worth getting" and could be only school offered. "No nice, neat package sitting out there."

ChampionTexan
06-11-2010, 09:24 PM
All these teams changing has just turned my brain into mush regarding college ball. It's all really confusing to me at the moment. I need to watch ESPN (can't believe I said that) to see what exactly is going on here. You are right though..it's all about the money!

Here's the 10 cent version:

The old Big 12 is now the new Big 10 with the confirmed loss of Nebraska and Colorado.

The old Big 10 is now the new Big 12 with the addition of Nebraska (and the actual acknowledgment that they've had 11 teams since Penn State joined something like 20 years ago).

Colorado has officially been added to the PAC 10 (New name undisclosed at this point).

It seems clear that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will be invited to join the PAC 10 (see previous disclaimer on new name), and all four will accept that invite.

A&M apparently will have the opportunity to either follow the aforementioned four (well, five if you count Colorado) to the PAC 10 (and I'm not going to tell you again they don't have a new name), or go east and join the SEC. There will very likely be a finalization of this cliff-hanger by the end of next week.

Boise State has accepted a bid to join the Mountain West Conference (who has wisely chosen to omit any reference to numbers from it's name).

MojoMan
06-11-2010, 09:31 PM

Perhaps the PAC 10 decides to try something new and goes with three divisions of five teams each. That is still more teams than in the AFC South. It would make a conference playoff difficult, if not highly unlikely. But the PAC 10 does not currently have one of those anyway, so that would not require any changes.

WWJD
06-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Here's the 10 cent version:

The old Big 12 is now the new Big 10 with the confirmed loss of Nebraska and Colorado.

The old Big 10 is now the new Big 12 with the addition of Nebraska (and the actual acknowledgment that they've had 11 teams since Penn State joined something like 20 years ago).

Colorado has officially been added to the PAC 10 (New name undisclosed at this point).

It seems clear that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will be invited to join the PAC 10 (see previous disclaimer on new name), and all four will accept that invite.

A&M apparently will have the opportunity to either follow the aforementioned four (well, five if you count Colorado) to the PAC 10 (and I'm not going to tell you again they don't have a new name), or go east and join the SEC. There will very likely be a finalization of this cliff-hanger by the end of next week.

Boise State has accepted a bid to join the Mountain West Conference (who has wisely chosen to omit any reference to numbers from it's name).

Gotcha...I owe you a dime. :)

MojoMan
06-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Here is a selective quote from a new article at ESPN

UT, 3 others poised for Pac-10 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276668)

Another source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to ESPN.com's Andy Katz that Texas A&M was looking at the SEC, but the source said he is convinced the Aggies will end up in the Pac-10.

The source said the SEC consideration was fueled by "ego purposes" within Texas A&M, that the Aggies' power brokers sought distance from the Texas decision and didn't want to convey the appearance they were doing everything because of Texas.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said Friday he is still working to convince the remaining 10 members to stay put.

And that would make 16 teams.

Texan4Ever
06-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Couldn't we realign the confrences based on geography? Kind of weird to see Texas and or Oklahoma in the Pac-10. If they have to move then the Big 10 would make much more sense.

With regards to recruiting in Texas, UT has a hold on this state but if TTU does well under Tuberville and UT joins the Big 10, Michigan might grab some of them Texas recruits.

After all, we know how good Texas boys are at football than the other states such as Florida, Cal, and Ohio.

JB
06-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Couldn't we realign the confrences based on geography? Kind of weird to see Texas and or Oklahoma in the Pac-10. If they have to move then the Big 10 would make much more sense.

With regards to recruiting in Texas, UT has a hold on this state but if TTU does well under Tuberville and UT joins the Big 10, Michigan might grab some of them Texas recruits.

After all, we know how good Texas boys are at football than the other states such as Florida, Cal, and Ohio.

Personally, I think there should be 4 major conferences. NE, SE, Mid, WC.

Put the ACC and Big East in the NE

The SEC & CUSA in the S

Big XII and Big X in the Mid

Pac 10 & MCW in the WC...

just my speculatin'

rmartin65
06-11-2010, 11:07 PM

The SEC & CUSA in the S

just my speculatin'

I like it. It makes the most sense, but that is why it will never happen.

awtysst
06-11-2010, 11:10 PM

The SEC & CUSA in the S

just my speculatin'

That's incredibly unfair to the Big XII and Big X. The ACC and Big East are the two weakest of the 6 BCS conferences already. Combining them makes 1 weak region. CUSA is not at the BCS level, so combining them with the SEC pretty much gives the SEC schools their cupcake games. MWC is also not a BCS program, even with the addition of Boise State. So that leaves the Big XII arguably the #1 or #2 BCS conference joining with the Big X which was the #3 or #4?! Thats incredibly unfair.

GP
06-11-2010, 11:19 PM

Would a four region scenario work?

West Region:
1. USC
2. Cal
3. UCLA
4. Stanford

Northwest:
1. Oregon
2. Oregon St.
3. Washington
4. Washington St.

Southwest:
1. Arizona
2. Arizona St.
3. Colorado
4. TTU

East:
1. UT
2. TAMU (IF they were to join)
3. OU
4. OSU

10 games are regular. Game 11 is semi-finals with Southwest champ vs. East champ and the West champ vs. Northwest champ. Game 12 is the finals.

I don't know if that means 2 bye weeks to make this work?

It would make each region's teams face true geographical rivals.

TexanSam
06-11-2010, 11:33 PM

West Region:
1. USC
2. Cal
3. UCLA
4. Stanford

Northwest:
1. Oregon
2. Oregon St.
3. Washington
4. Washington St.

Southwest:
1. Arizona
2. Arizona St.
3. Colorado
4. TTU

East:
1. UT
3. OU
4. OSU

10 games are regular. Game 11 is semi-finals with Southwest champ vs. East champ and the West champ vs. Northwest champ. Game 12 is the finals.

That would make the most sense but the NCAA would probably have to change the rule which makes every team play 12 games. Would make bowl eligibility weird in some instances too

awtysst
06-11-2010, 11:34 PM

West Region:
1. USC
2. Cal
3. UCLA
4. Stanford

Northwest:
1. Oregon
2. Oregon St.
3. Washington
4. Washington St.

Southwest:
1. Arizona
2. Arizona St.
3. Colorado
4. TTU

East:
1. UT
3. OU
4. OSU

Here is what I said in post #52 in this thread
If the Pac 10 goes ahead and invites and gets the Big XII schools it would go to 16 teams. Now, instead of doing 2 8 team divisions, how about 4, 4 team divisions.

For example:
Division A: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Colorado
Division B: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Arizona State
Division C: USC, UCLA, California, and Stanford
Division D: Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State

Each team wold play all three of its opponents in its division each year. They would then play 2 teams from each division and this would be on a rotational basis. Thats 9 games. The other 3 games can be out of conference games to schedule in some interesting matchups or cupcakes.

Each team has a natural rival except Colorado and Texas Tech. Colorado can develop one with tech or continue to play CSU every year. This would be a very fair way to break the 16 teams.

What do yall think?

GP
06-11-2010, 11:43 PM
I think your arrangement is better, actually.

I had OU and UT in the same region, and that just isn't going to fly. That's going to eliminate one of the top-two revenue generating teams almost immediately because only one can progress into a Pac-10 championship game if our plan of four regions were to exist.

Your idea puts OU and UT in their own regions. I actually think Colorado and TTU could have a good rivalry. Heck, I think they have had some pretty good back-and-forth games against one another recently.

I like it. Let's do it. (LOL)

awtysst
06-11-2010, 11:49 PM
I think your arrangement is better, actually.

I had OU and UT in the same region, and that just isn't going to fly. That's going to eliminate one of the top-two revenue generating teams almost immediately because only one can progress into a Pac-10 championship game if our plan of four regions were to exist.

Your idea puts OU and UT in their own regions. I actually think Colorado and TTU could have a good rivalry. Heck, I think they have had some pretty good back-and-forth games against one another recently.

I like it. Let's do it. (LOL)

Thanks!
I had not actually considered the 4 region playoff, but I like it. So lets say at the end of the season there is a 2 game playoff. At the end of the regular season the 4 teams tht lead their region are ranked in BCS order. On Friday #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3. THE NEXT DAY on Saturday, the winners face off for ALL the marbles!

Dan B.
06-12-2010, 02:20 AM
OU and UT will play each other every year no matter what happens. If they are in their own pods, there will have to be something written into the conference bylaws that let the two teams play each other in the Red River Shootout. That isn't going away.

Goldensilence
06-12-2010, 03:10 AM

The SEC & CUSA in the S

just my speculatin'

Now if you had said regions and had it set up like college basketball in a bracket system I could agree.

I don't like fewer conferences. It consolidates power unevenly. Well, more so than it already is.

TexansSeminole
06-12-2010, 03:11 AM
OU and UT will play each other every year no matter what happens. If they are in their own pods, there will have to be something written into the conference bylaws that let the two teams play each other in the Red River Shootout. That isn't going away.

No, that would never happen. Just like regardless of the fact that Florida State is in the ACC, they play Florida every year. Some rivalries just must continue.

If they based everything off of pure geography the south would destory all other conferences IMO. You've got Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, South Florida, Clemson, etc all joining an SEC conference. I don't see any other region competing with a conference like that at this point.

The Pac-10 with Texas, TT, Oklahoma, and OSU might be able to compete with the current SEC though. That conference looks to be stacked. If I was the SEC I would look to add 2 top programs from the South, like Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami, or Clemson, to the conference to add a little bit of strength to what is already there.

gwallaia
06-12-2010, 09:06 AM
To hell with the corrupt and unfair BCS

pbat488
06-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Whatever happens, happens. 99% of the people "reporting" are just making some crap up with their "well-placed" sources and putting it on the internet so they can increase their page hits.

Bottom line is we're not gonna know what happens until it happens.

Stemp
06-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Here is a selective quote from a new article at ESPN

And that would make 16 teams.

THat goes against everything that is being said in the A&M circles. A&M is a better fit in the SEC than the PAC 10and the SEC would take without Big XII teams.

Texas is trying to pressure A&M to do what they want, but A&M is holding firm and won't rush a decision just because they say so. Texas is going to pick their destination on Tuesday and A&M will make theirs after, probably Wed or Thursday. Any "deadline" is imposed by Texas, not the PAC 10. A&M may end up in the PAC 10, but I'm about 80% sure it's the SEC.

ChampionTexan
06-12-2010, 05:49 PM
THat goes against everything that is being said in the A&M circles. A&M is a better fit in the SEC than the PAC 10and the SEC would take without Big XII teams.

Texas is trying to pressure A&M to do what they want, but A&M is holding firm and won't rush a decision just because they say so. Texas is going to pick their destination on Tuesday and A&M will make theirs after, probably Wed or Thursday. Any "deadline" is imposed by Texas, not the PAC 10. A&M may end up in the PAC 10, but I'm about 80% sure it's the SEC.

I'm still gonna be surprised if A&M doesn't follow the other 5 Big 12 schools to the Pac 10. I think there's gonna be political pressure for A&M and Texas to stay together, and I think after a few days, they'll announce their going West and not East.

Just a little gut feel, and a little speculation (and nothing more than that) about what's going on in the smoke filled rooms.

Wolf
06-12-2010, 06:08 PM
AD says Texas still looking at 'all options'

AUSTIN, Texas – Texas is still "looking at all options" before deciding whether to stay in the crumbling Big 12 or move to another league, athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Saturday.

Dodds spoke outside of his stadium suite before Saturday's Texas-TCU baseball game, but declined further comment on what those options are.

Dodds has said he wants to keep the Big 12 together. The Longhorns are considered the key to the league's survival, particularly after it lost Nebraska (Big Ten) and Colorado (Pac-10) in a matter of two days this week.

The Texas regents have scheduled a meeting Tuesday for "discussion and appropriate action regarding athletic conference membership."

An official at a Big 12 school with knowledge of the talks confirmed that Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott was traveling to Texas and Oklahoma this weekend to present a case for Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to join the Pac-10.

The official requested anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly on the discussions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/fbc_big12_texas

pbat488
06-12-2010, 06:16 PM
SEC Commissioner Slive in College Station

Via Billy Liucci’s twitter: “Latest in A&M’s SEC/Pac-10 decision: SEC commissioner Mike Slive in College Station today…more to come.”

If the report is accurate, this is a major development. Slive’s visit would tend to indicate intense discussions with a high chance of consummating a deal.

Will the Texas Longhorns be able to intimidate A&M? Or will the Aggies chart their own course?

Speculation will also turn to the next SEC expansion target.

http://capstonereport.com/2010/06/12/breaking-mike-slive-in-college-station/6577/

Goldensilence
06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
SEC Commissioner Slive in College Station

http://capstonereport.com/2010/06/12/breaking-mike-slive-in-college-station/6577/

Interesting turn of events. A&M very well might join the SEC and "chart their own course"

I just don't see how this benefits A&M more than it seems like a move to spite UT. Almost a move that cuts their nose off to spite their face. They really want to try and recruit against LSU, Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Georgia and Ole Miss? Eventually I think Tennessee will get back on track as well.

Looks like another interesting turn:
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5279963

b0ng
06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm under the impression that people who think A&M going without Texas would hurt them are a little short-sighted. I'm not saying A&M is some sort of superpower, or that they are a guarantee to return to power, but if they do, doing it in the SEC is way more beneficial if the SEC is still the same general landscape as it is now (2 or 3 really really good football programs lurking about).

Plus, culturally, I don't see how you can think that A&M would fit in better with the west coast as it would with the rest of the south east.

Kulluminatii
06-12-2010, 11:19 PM
http://twitter.com/chipbrownob
Texas A&M regents have the votes to join the SEC and could announce that move as early as next week, sources tell Orangebloods.com
about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck

This Chip guy has been fairly accurate so far, and if A&M does go to the SEC I'm pretty sure that means UT, OU and the others will be headed to the PAC. Only question left is do the PAC grab Utah or KU? I'm hoping for the latter.

b0ng
06-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Wow UT is going to pitch a HUUUUUUUUUGE ***** fit over this if that comes to fruition.

MojoMan
06-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Wow UT is going to pitch a HUUUUUUUUUGE ***** fit over this if that comes to fruition.

No they won't.

b0ng
06-12-2010, 11:56 PM
No they won't.

Yes they will.

MojoMan
06-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Yes they will.

Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see then, won't we?

Kulluminatii
No they won't.

Yeah, I doubt they will. If anything, they won't schedule ooc games against A&M. I see A&M having a lot more to lose with their decision then UT does.

b0ng
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/FedEx-would-pay-conference-$10M-to-add-Memphis,-report-says-061210

FedEx would pay conference $10M to add Memphis, report says

FedEx reportedly is prepared to deliver big bucks to any BCS conference willing to add the University of Memphis.

FedEx’s chief executive, Fred Smith, has told conferences his company would pay one of them up to $10 million a year if they invite Memphis, CBSSports.com reported Saturday.

An anonymous source described as close to the Memphis athletic program told CBSSports.com: "It could be $10 million every year for a conference to use however it sees fit. When you think of the big picture, it could be the equivalent of a five-year, $50 million contract or a 10-year, $100-million contract. Fred is talking about a massive amount of money."

FedEx is based in Memphis. Cannon Smith, son of the company’s CEO, is a quarterback for Memphis. He sat out last season after transferring from Miami.

FedEx recently severed its ties after 21 years as a sponsor of the Orange Bowl. That could have freed up the money FedEx is talking about spending as an incentive to get a BCS conference to take Memphis, a source told CBSSports.com.

Memphis is a member of Conference USA. Last season, the Tigers went 2-10 and finished at the bottom of Conference USA’s East Division.

b0ng
06-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see then, won't we?

More than likely. I can imagine Texas completely cutting A&M off from having any working relationship with them.

MojoMan
06-13-2010, 12:00 AM
More than likely. I can imagine Texas completely cutting A&M off from having any working relationship with them.

Not a chance.

b0ng
06-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Not a chance.

School bolts to a different conference to prove that they aren't the little brother of the big state school? Yeah put me down for bad blood and hard feelings there.