PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 Sporting News Magazine Stinks!!!!

buckaroo_banzai
06-03-2010, 07:32 PM
hey all,
Today I was reading my haul of new football magazines previewing the 2010 season....
things were looking good, as most of the mags had the Texans making the playoffs. I felt like we were finally getting some love.........then I read the Sporting News 2010 magazine and none other than John McClain had done the Texans write-up.
The sporting news magazine rates teams overall on a 1 to 100 scale, with the best teams around 95 or so. Try to imagine my surprise when they rate Indy at 91 (OK, that's maybe about right), but the second place team was the titans at 89....."huh?!?!?" Then just to rub salt on the wound, they have our beloved Texans at 79 WTF!?!?! A 79...REALLY!?!?! :foottap: that far behind everyone else? The jags were rated at 72.
So I'm supposed to believe that we are closer to the jags then the colts? Am I missing something? :choke:
at least the write-up about us from McClain was fair, but man those people at the sporting news must really hate us or something because it was BY FAR the most negative review of the team so far. (I guess more upcoming mags could treat us worse, though I doubt it)
Even the chiefs (85) and cardinals (81) were rated higher....."SHEESH"

blitz90
06-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Sounds about right considering how horrible we've been in our division.

Ryan
06-03-2010, 07:46 PM
This is a "put up or shut up" league and the Texans haven't put up yet. Don't expect everyone to jump on a bandwagon of a team who's never made playoffs.

wagonhed
06-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Those are almost the exact same numbers Madden gave last year (we were 78 or 79 I think) and I imagine we might be 80 or 81 this year because of Cushing and Pollard, but not much higher.

Carr Bombed
06-03-2010, 07:56 PM
hey all,
Today I was reading my haul of new football magazines previewing the 2010 season....
things were looking good, as most of the mags had the Texans making the playoffs. I felt like we were finally getting some love...

Where have you been the last couple of offseasons?

The Texans have gotten nothing but love...only to make fools out of the people who went out of their way to rave about the "new up and coming team in the NFL".

Forget love and respect (which is meaningless) I want wins and results ON THE FIELD....and only the Texans can control and supply that. Frankly other than being very entertaining with a high octane offense, the Texans haven't offered up any real substance for outsiders to go crazy about. All they've done is disappoint and lay eggs when they should've been "taking the next step/turning the corner" (yack)

steelbtexan
06-03-2010, 08:00 PM
This is a "put up or shut up" league and the Texans haven't put up yet. Don't expect everyone to jump on a bandwagon of a team who's never made playoffs.

Yep

But some cant come to grips with the thought of the NFL being a put up or shut up league. They're getting better but this just in......... so are the rest of the teams in the NFL.

It really comes down to injuries and if Kubes can improve. Right now it doesn't look promising. (Cushings suspension and my lack of faith in Kubes)

Carr Bombed
06-03-2010, 08:09 PM
I'll just repost the post I made a couple of months ago when someone trashed Tim Cowlishaw when he had a negative opinion of us because it's also relevent for this thread...

Cowlishaw has been a Texans supporter on that show more than a couple of times (as well as the Rockets) and usually when he sticks his neck out for us and gives us some props, we do something stupid like find a way to lose a game that we should win or fail to "take the next step/turn the corner" (yack :rolleyes:) and we make him look like a fool

I have no problem with what he said, if you put all the "Texans' fandom" aside and think with out bias, everything he said was sadly the truth.

And it's not just him that feels this way either. If Houston won a couple of those games or turned a few of those corners that we keep hearing about (again yack), then that game wouldn't have a noon start time, it would probably be a nationally broadcasted game. Houston has no one to blame except themselves for the way outsiders view this team. They are annually offseason favorites that become a regular season letdown. I think people in the media are getting to the point where it's put up or shut up...and I can't really blame them, because I'm getting that way with this team.

NO MORE TALKING, NO MORE EXCUSES......START DOING, START PRODUCING!

They do that and there will be more respect bestowed on this team than we can shake a stick at. Respect is earned...it's not given and if this team can make some big noise this year with this schedule they'll be given PLENTY of respect by everyone in the national media.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1412346&highlight=cowlishaw#post1412346

False Start
06-03-2010, 08:15 PM
That sounds about right to me. They haven't done anything significant yet, so they need to do that to be rated higher. :texflag:

m5kwatts
06-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Sounds about right considering how horrible we've been in our division.

Despite being 1-5 against the division the Texans were the 2nd place team in the division and thats not bad considering the 1st place team arguably could have gone 16-0.

Wolf
06-03-2010, 08:18 PM
sadly first four years we kept making circles with those 4 left turns with C & C factory

Kubiak is on his 4th so well time will tell if it is 4 right turns

Second Honeymoon
06-03-2010, 08:23 PM
our head coach sucks and we did nothing in the offseason to really improve

why is anyone surprised that someone who isn't biased or a homer thinks we are average

we are a .500 team under Kubiak and we haven't met a big game we couldn't lose

6-10 here we come, Thanks for re-signing Kubiak, Bob.

m5kwatts
06-03-2010, 08:31 PM

why is anyone surprised that someone who isn't biased or a homer thinks we are average

The team went 9-7 last year and was 5-6 plays away from being 12-4. The team is one of the youngest in the league and has someone close to or entering the prime of their careers at nearly every starting position. Your continued bitter pouting over daddy McNair not satisfying your spoiled brat needs for a new head coach or a high dollar ESPN-recognizable free agent is obnoxious and reflects poorly on Texans fans and this board. Get over it and please re-think posting next time you have something dumb like this to say because your embarrassing yourself.

Norg
06-04-2010, 12:07 AM
The jags are like dallas and redskin games

we can be 14-0 and the jags 2-12 and they can still find a way to always bet us

Has long has we are in this divison the Jags will play us like its WW3 or something same with the titans

JB
06-04-2010, 12:28 AM
The jags are like dallas and redskin games

we can be 14-0 and the jags 2-12 and they can still find a way to always bet us

Has long has we are in this divison the Jags will play us like its WW3 or something same with the titans

Actually, we have a better record against the Jags than either the Colts or Titans...look it up

Goldensilence
06-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Yep

But some cant come to grips with the thought of the NFL being a put up or shut up league. They're getting better but this just in......... so are the rest of the teams in the NFL.

It really comes down to injuries and if Kubes can improve. Right now it doesn't look promising. (Cushings suspension and my lack of faith in Kubes)

But, But...they were the best 9-7 team to not make the playoffs! In fact they could go down as the BEST 9-7 team ever.

Thorn
06-04-2010, 12:46 AM
blah blah blqh blah

blah blah blah blah

next article.

GP
06-04-2010, 03:24 AM
Is this the first OFFICIAL "Why don't we get any media love?" thread of the season?

They always crop up about June each year.

Every such thread should have plastic explosives attached to it and detonated from a safe distance...within 2 minutes of it being created :kaboom:

GP
06-04-2010, 03:27 AM
But, But...they were the best 9-7 team to not make the playoffs! In fact they could go down as the BEST 9-7 team ever.

Gosh darn it, Timmy! If you don't calm down right now, I'm going to send you AND your sister to summer journalism camp with Justice and McClain.

I'll have no more of that sort of temper tantrum from you, young man.

Now go set the table and grab your grandmother's heel file. She wants to get in a good heel shaving before dinner.

And wipe that frown off your face, or I'll make you sweep up the dust and shavings once she's finished.

http://static.open.salon.com/files/spanking-kidsjpg-e8ceb7b4d2b86d0e_large1262878793.jpg

Texan_Bill
06-04-2010, 09:35 AM

YUP!!! Thanks Bob! I really appreciate having Kubes around for another season, too.

:gun:
Geeeez, just when I thought SH had given it a rest, he chimes in with his typical, redundant and ridiculous rant..

That said, I could care less what any publication's pre-season predictions are. That's why they actually play the games.

HoustonFrog
06-04-2010, 09:48 AM

This

For years the cards were the Texans yet they kept disappointing. Then they made the SB and now they have some cred. You may have talent and think playoffs, but until you do you will be considered amn underacheiver.

Second Honeymoon
06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
YUP!!! Thanks Bob! I really appreciate having Kubes around for another season, too.

:gun:
Geeeez, just when I thought SH had given it a rest, he chimes in with his typical, redundant and ridiculous rant..

That said, I could care less what any publication's pre-season predictions are. That's why they actually play the games.

i will never rest until we get a competent head coach and a front office/ownership that is committed to winning a championship and not just making the almighty dollar

this offseason was embarassing and its gonna show this season
if your not improving you are falling behind. no way in hell they got better this offseason

you can disagree, and i know you do, and i hope i am wrong, but this season is going to be a step back for the organization. inactivity and malaise is never a good thing...and we have that in spades this offseason.

still crap at center, still crap at FS, still semi-crap with Stouddard, still crap at DT, and still crap at HC

they created a hole at CB and hopefully addressed it in the draft but they shouldn't have been pigeon holed into doing that. Dan Williams made the most football sense but the team had to save money in a salary cap free year, so they drop their #1 Corner and have to take one in the first. like McNair doesn't have enough money.

as for you being happy about Kubiak being re-signed, that just shows your A&M bias right there. i can understand you being apathetic about the re-signing or that you feel it was necessary due to other circumstances (attracting coaches and FA) but to actually be happy and feel the extension was based on merit is laughable. if .500 gets you an extension, that is just pathetic. i don't care where the steam started at in his first year. things can turn around in 1 year....unless your the Texans. We have to wait over a decade for anything...after all, that is the way to build a team. yeah, right.

have a great weekend everyone...sorry about the reality check but this pie in the sky crap is ridiculous this offseason. its like 9-7 made everyone a moron.

Double Barrel
06-04-2010, 11:30 AM
The team went 9-7 last year and was 5-6 plays away from being 12-4.

The other side of that coin is that this team was 5-6 plays away from being 5-11. :shades:

That being said, I think the team will post another winning record, but I'm not predicting playoffs. They've got to show me something that they have never had in 8 seasons, and that's finishing games that they have under control. They've got heart, but they have lacked the so-called "killer instinct".

Second Honeymoon
06-04-2010, 11:37 AM
The other side of that coin is that this team was 5-6 plays away from being 5-11. :shades:

That being said, I think the team will post another winning record, but I'm not predicting playoffs. They've got to show me something that they have never had in 8 seasons, and that's finishing games that they have under control. They've got heart, but they have lacked the so-called "killer instinct".

indicative of the nature of their head coach
flatlining coach = flatlining team

grow a pair, kubiak. this is the NFL not Pop Warner.

the aww shucks 'kids' act is sooo damn tired. what is funny is if the Texans lose to the Rams (and they were one play away from that) Kubiak is gone and we probably have a better team going into 2010. but because of that one 'glorious' win, we get a new contract for Kubes.

I am sorry but Kubiak sucks as a head coach. A great, not good, offensive co-ordinator but just a pathetic excuse for a head coach.

HuttoKarl
06-04-2010, 11:38 AM
SN hasn't been as good since they ditched the weekly format. Their NFL draft issue has been severely lacking when it used to be one of the best and most in-depth out there.

dalemurphy
06-04-2010, 11:51 AM
still crap at center, still crap at FS, still semi-crap with Stouddard, still crap at DT, and still crap at HC

have a great weekend everyone...sorry about the reality check but this pie in the sky crap is ridiculous this offseason. its like 9-7 made everyone a moron.

SH:

1. You've adequately scouted Wade Smith and determined that he is "crap" at center?

2. Or, you've scouted Wade Smith at guard and decided that he's "crap" at guard and that moving Briesel or Caldwell to center won't work?

3. You've scouted Earl Mitchell and decided that he's crap at DT? Apparently, you know, somehow, that Dan Williams will be the better DT. Why is that?

Why shouldn't fans of a team with that has improved each of the last four seasons (almost making the playoffs in '09 and fielding the youngest starting lineup in the NFL last season ) be optimistic in June of 2010?

Once again, I'm challenging you to make a bet with me. You set the criteria... We'll make a gentlemen's wager and each week, either you or I must start a thread eating crow. Waiting for you to step up and be a man.

1.Wins?
2.secondary performance (interception, YPA, completion percentage, Pass defenses, etc...)
3.DTs (rushing yards allowed, sacks, QB pressures, rushing TDs, total points_
4.OL (total yards, sacks allowed, rushing yards, Points, etc...)

pick some criteria and let's make a wager.

Goldensilence
06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
SH:

1. You've adequately scouted Wade Smith and determined that he is "crap" at center?

2. Or, you've scouted Wade Smith at guard and decided that he's "crap" at guard and that moving Briesel or Caldwell to center won't work?

3. You've scouted Earl Mitchell and decided that he's crap at DT? Apparently, you know, somehow, that Dan Williams will be the better DT. Why is that?

Why shouldn't fans of a team with that has improved each of the last four seasons (almost making the playoffs in '09 and fielding the youngest starting lineup in the NFL last season ) be optimistic in June of 2010?

Once again, I'm challenging you to make a bet with me. You set the criteria... We'll make a gentlemen's wager and each week, either you or I must start a thread eating crow. Waiting for you to step up and be a man.

1.Wins?
2.secondary performance (interception, YPA, completion percentage, Pass defenses, etc...)
3.DTs (rushing yards allowed, sacks, QB pressures, rushing TDs, total points_
4.OL (total yards, sacks allowed, rushing yards, Points, etc...)

pick some criteria and let's make a wager.

I know I'm not SH, but you brought up some interesting points.

1. I haven't scouted Wade Smith at center but I hope him or Caldwell ( which it looks like at this point they want him at guard sadly) gets reps this offseason at center. I'm not blindly ragging on Myers. I like what he can do in space and getting to the second level. Problem is he just can't hold the LOS when it matters. We need someone to anchor the center of the OL. He's just not that guy. I hope one of those two can.

2. I absolutely DO NOT want to see Brisiel at center. That has disaster written all over it. Like I said in 1, I'd love to see Caldwell get reps at center just seems like the staff wants him at guard. I believe Smith has played the bulk of his time at guard. Really at this point I don't care who he bumps on the interior of the Ol just as long as he improves the play at his position.

I'm not the biggest Studdard fan, but I really like the intensity that he plays with and he's not afraid to try and put a guy on his ass opposite him if he can. He's a bit wreckless with his body and isn't afraid to cut or chop. I just wish he had better physical tools for what the OL here needs.

3. I just can't get excited about another 3 gap DT. I just can't. This staff is hellbent on smaller DTS that supposedly getting to the QB. I haven't seen it work like they say yet. Maybe Mitchell is different. I don't know. But, I just can't get excited.

Why can't some people be excited as you?

This team historically starts slow and can't win in their division. To make the playoffs you have to do both.

dalemurphy
06-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I know I'm not SH, but you brought up some interesting points.

1. I haven't scouted Wade Smith at center but I hope him or Caldwell ( which it looks like at this point they want him at guard sadly) gets reps this offseason at center. I'm not blindly ragging on Myers. I like what he can do in space and getting to the second level. Problem is he just can't hold the LOS when it matters. We need someone to anchor the center of the OL. He's just not that guy. I hope one of those two can.

2. I absolutely DO NOT want to see Brisiel at center. That has disaster written all over it. Like I said in 1, I'd love to see Caldwell get reps at center just seems like the staff wants him at guard. I believe Smith has played the bulk of his time at guard. Really at this point I don't care who he bumps on the interior of the Ol just as long as he improves the play at his position.

I'm not the biggest Studdard fan, but I really like the intensity that he plays with and he's not afraid to try and put a guy on his ass opposite him if he can. He's a bit wreckless with his body and isn't afraid to cut or chop. I just wish he had better physical tools for what the OL here needs.

3. I just can't get excited about another 3 gap DT. I just can't. This staff is hellbent on smaller DTS that supposedly getting to the QB. I haven't seen it work like they say yet. Maybe Mitchell is different. I don't know. But, I just can't get excited.

Why can't some people be excited as you?

This team historically starts slow and can't win in their division. To make the playoffs you have to do both.

I really dislike Studdard. Mean streak or not, my opinion of him as a starting lineman in the NFL is very low.

Regarding DT: you are right that we haven't seen a good pass rush from those guys. However, they did stand up to the run game very well last season after Kollar and Bush got them to buy into what they were doing. I was particularly impressed with our ability to make stops against the run on third and fourth and short. It happened a lot last season. So, I'm not so desperate to see a big DT in there. I do want to see better pass rush though.

Goldensilence
06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
I really dislike Studdard. Mean streak or not, my opinion of him as a starting lineman in the NFL is very low.

Regarding DT: you are right that we haven't seen a good pass rush from those guys. However, they did stand up to the run game very well last season after Kollar and Bush got them to buy into what they were doing. I was particularly impressed with our ability to make stops against the run on third and fourth and short. It happened a lot last season. So, I'm not so desperate to see a big DT in there. I do want to see better pass rush though.

Agreed, I don't like him starting on this team. Elsewhere around the NFL I could care less. I think he's going to be a career backup.

I think the DTs last year were adequate. Not great, not terrible but adequate. I think also a lot got covered up last year with their play because they generally did just enough to tie guys up on the OL and our Lbers were free to run around, specifically Cushing.

It's just impossible to replace Cushing physical presence and instincts at SLB. I'm not counting on anyone on defense to be able to pick up the slack.

Honestly, I'm counting of the offense right now to pick up the slack indirectly. They need to be able to run the ball consistently and not settle for FG attempts in the RZ. If they can do that I like our chances of surviving the first 4 games without Cushing. With this schedule we're not going to be able to afford to start off slow if we want a shot at the playoffs and possilby even a winning record again.

infantrycak
06-04-2010, 01:03 PM
I love Cushing and all but somehow in here DeMeco is getting lost. He quietly controls well darn near the entire field. He is a football smart dude that has sideline to sideline ability. I think he is getting underrated (yes despite the pro-bowls) due to not having huge collisions. Don't care. He is a tough smart player and one of the best in the league at his position. Cushing maybe that as well - hopefully so.

HOU-TEX
06-04-2010, 02:35 PM
I love Cushing and all but somehow in here DeMeco is getting lost. He quietly controls well darn near the entire field. He is a football smart dude that has sideline to sideline ability. I think he is getting underrated (yes despite the pro-bowls) due to not having huge collisions. Don't care. He is a tough smart player and one of the best in the league at his position. Cushing maybe that as well - hopefully so.

100% agreed! I think most know my stance on D-Ryans. The dude's a warrior on the field. Matter of fact, he's #2 on HOU-TEX's Texans Beast Club. That's high praise right there. Ha

gary
06-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Oh, everyone knows the most underated player is Kris Brown.

beerlover
06-04-2010, 05:56 PM
consider the source, assemble your knights surrounding castles dictated by the queen in name of the king, blah, blah freaking blah :slapfight:

Goldensilence
06-04-2010, 06:02 PM

I don't think Demeco is getting lost at all. I don't subscribe to the idea that because your lavish praise on one player doesn't mean you don't appreciate the steady contributions from another. I just think most people understand Brian was a huge part of turning the defense around and the guy managed to get ROY twice.

It shows on the field and in the locker room that those two feed off each other. I think having Cushing around frees Demeco back up to doing the things Demeco does well which is get his guys lined up well and in position, put himself in a position to be in on a tackle by taking good angles and reading plays, and being the leader of the defense.

IMO I think why Demeco was dropping off the past year or two and not having the numbers of tackles and big plays we became used to seeing him have the first two years in the league was offenses being able to single him out on the team until last year. Having another big time threat at LB only helps Demeco's game.

gary
06-04-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't think Demeco is getting lost at all. I don't subscribe to the idea that because your lavish praise on one player doesn't mean you don't appreciate the steady contributions from another. I just think most people understand Brian was a huge part of turning the defense around and the guy managed to get ROY twice.

It shows on the field and in the locker room that those two feed off each other. I think having Cushing around frees Demeco back up to doing the things Demeco does well which is get his guys lined up well and in position, put himself in a position to be in on a tackle by taking good angles and reading plays, and being the leader of the defense.

IMO I think why Demeco was dropping off the past year or two and not having the numbers of tackles and big plays we became used to seeing him have the first two years in the league was offenses being able to single him out on the team until last year. Having another big time threat at LB only helps Demeco's game.
Spot on.

rush2112mn
06-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Sporting News....ESPN.....ect ect....take your pick.....
Its all about production on the field.
I think King from Sports Illustrated had us going to playoffs last year. I would not be surprised if he bashed us this year to.

Look, the national media is going to be negative towards us until we get to the playoffs. If you don't get to the playoffs your going in the wrong direction....that is what I feel they are saying. Winning record is ok...but not good. It is sort of like getting that C plus report card......at least that is what I am thinking they are saying.

I could care less about preseason nfl sports mags.....all counting your chickens before they hatch......

buckaroo_banzai
06-05-2010, 08:40 AM
I agree that in the end, it doesn't matter what the magazines say.
it's just fine to take the stance that until the Texans prove it on the field, that they should not get a lot of love.
My problem is that we just had our first WINNING season and some magazines like "Lindy's" has teams like the Rams and Chiefs rated higher than we are. (it's true....look it up) :boogereater:
Again, I realize that we have not won squat, but I refuse to believe that we are closer to the bottom of the league than the top.
I'm a glass half full guy....so sue me :fans:

infantrycak
06-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Not talking about stats. DeMeco got ROY as well by the way. Talking about valuing. Seems to me people undervalue DeMeco. Dude is the bomb. Patrick Willis and he are the best in the game. I think Ray Lewis would say that at this point. Folks here are going to be very disappointed when he retires and they don't get a player to match because there aren't many who match.

threetoedpete
06-06-2010, 05:18 PM
If Demeco was all you said he was there would be no crisis at the Sam. He would go there, Diles to the middle and Adibi, who wouldn't have to think much about covareage, would man the will. But they can not do that. It's not even being discussed as an option. Demeco is a good middle linebacker. And that's about it. Cushing put new springs in his wheels last year just out of pride. The very reason the Texans had to draft speed on the edge in Brian Cushing is because Demeco doesn't have any. Anything close to the hash marks and he is in trouble. He is at the extent of his range. Tackle to tackle he is fine. He is a functional NFL blue collar inside linebacker, and nothing more. You could swap him with any of the top six teen or so MLBs and lose nothing in terms of production. Love the guy if you will but this is exactly how we get into trouble, giving lucrative contracts to marginal players. He is great value for where they drafted him and his production. Beyond that, just like his excretions to the hash marks trying to make a play, it's a reach.

Carr Bombed
06-06-2010, 05:58 PM
If Demeco was all you said he was there would be no crisis at the Sam. He would go there, Diles to the middle and Adibi, who wouldn't have to think much about covareage, would man the will. But they can not do that. It's not even being discussed as an option.

LOL, because it's a crappy and unrealistic option. Who the hell moves their pro bowl MLB to another position (thus making two positions weaker) and not only that, then you're moving your starting Will LBer who's perfectly healthy to the middle...which would make all 3 LBer positions weaker instead of just one, with Cushing being out.

This has absolutely nothing to do with DeMeco...You don't play musical chairs with every LBer position just because one player is out. No coach does that.

Demeco is a good middle linebacker. And that's about it. Cushing put new springs in his wheels last year just out of pride. The very reason the Texans had to draft speed on the edge in Brian Cushing is because Demeco doesn't have any. Anything close to the hash marks and he is in trouble. He is at the extent of his range. Tackle to tackle he is fine. He is a functional NFL blue collar inside linebacker, and nothing more. You could swap him with any of the top six teen or so MLBs and lose nothing in terms of production. Love the guy if you will but this is exactly how we get into trouble, giving lucrative contracts to marginal players. He is great value for where they drafted him and his production. Beyond that, just like his excretions to the hash marks trying to make a play, it's a reach.

LOL, now this paired with the section above.....this might be the most ignorant post of I've read on this board :lol:

DeMeco Ryans....marginal player and could be replaced by any of the top 16 MLBers. Sheesh some people don't know what they've got until it's gone and I'd hate to see what this defense would look like without DeMeco Ryans in the middle. You say he's just average, but he puts up WELL above average production in the middle and he's been able to do that with some of the crappiest DT play in the entire league playing in front of him. :rolleyes:

JB
06-06-2010, 07:00 PM
LOL, because it's a crappy and unrealistic option. Who the hell moves their pro bowl MLB to another position (thus making two positions weaker) and not only that, then you're moving your starting Will LBer who's perfectly healthy to the middle...which would make all 3 LBer positions weaker instead of just one, with Cushing being out.

This has absolutely nothing to do with DeMeco...You don't play musical chairs with every LBer position just because one player is out. No coach does that.

LOL, now this paired with the section above.....this might be the most ignorant post of I've read on this board :lol:

DeMeco Ryans....marginal player and could be replaced by any of the top 16 MLBers. Sheesh some people don't know what they've got until it's gone and I'd hate to see what this defense would look like without DeMeco Ryans in the middle. You say he's just average, but he puts up WELL above average production in the middle and he's been able to do that with some of the crappiest DT play in the entire league playing in front of him. :rolleyes:

Exactly! Average MLBs do not get voted to the pro bowl...

HOU-TEX
06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
If Demeco was all you said he was there would be no crisis at the Sam. He would go there, Diles to the middle and Adibi, who wouldn't have to think much about covareage, would man the will. But they can not do that. It's not even being discussed as an option. Demeco is a good middle linebacker. And that's about it. Cushing put new springs in his wheels last year just out of pride. The very reason the Texans had to draft speed on the edge in Brian Cushing is because Demeco doesn't have any. Anything close to the hash marks and he is in trouble. He is at the extent of his range. Tackle to tackle he is fine. He is a functional NFL blue collar inside linebacker, and nothing more. You could swap him with any of the top six teen or so MLBs and lose nothing in terms of production. Love the guy if you will but this is exactly how we get into trouble, giving lucrative contracts to marginal players. He is great value for where they drafted him and his production. Beyond that, just like his excretions to the hash marks trying to make a play, it's a reach.

Good grief! I was going to say this was a typical ttpete post, but it's by far one of the worst evaluations of a player I've seen in quite some time.

I think D-Ryans might have a little trouble in coverage at times, but the dude's absolute money against the run.

"Anything close to the hash marks and he is in trouble." = Bahhahahahahahahaha! The dude makes plays sideline to sideline.

infantrycak
06-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Well I think my reply has been covered for me but I do have to reiterate the tackle to tackle comment is one of the worst ever. DeMeco is often at a sideline past the SLB or WLB making a tackle when obviously they were closer to start. Call that too slow if you want.

Oh and Ray Lewis disagrees vehemently with you since he declared DeMeco the next best (as in timeline not talent) MLB.

TimeKiller
06-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Demeco Ryans is slow.....bahahahahaha!!!

BigBull17
06-07-2010, 12:46 PM
hey all,
things were looking good, as most of the mags had the Texans making the playoffs. I felt like we were finally getting some love.........then I read the Sporting News 2010 magazine and none other than John McClain had done the Texans write-up.
The sporting news magazine rates teams overall on a 1 to 100 scale, with the best teams around 95 or so. Try to imagine my surprise when they rate Indy at 91 (OK, that's maybe about right), but the second place team was the titans at 89....."huh?!?!?" Then just to rub salt on the wound, they have our beloved Texans at 79 WTF!?!?! A 79...REALLY!?!?! :foottap: that far behind everyone else? The jags were rated at 72.
So I'm supposed to believe that we are closer to the jags then the colts? Am I missing something? :choke:
at least the write-up about us from McClain was fair, but man those people at the sporting news must really hate us or something because it was BY FAR the most negative review of the team so far. (I guess more upcoming mags could treat us worse, though I doubt it)

We have to prove we can do it before anyone will give us credit, but Mc 6-Chins is pissed we passed on his boy Gerhart. It's how he rolls. He gets mad and strikes out at the Texans through any media he can. It's how all of Houston sports media does it. I knew it was gonna have back lash when he talked about having Toby on with his father and the great story it was and we traded out of the pick.

b0ng
06-07-2010, 10:46 PM
The Dumb stuff

How the hell can you call McNair cheap when Drayton McClain still owns a team in this city?

My guess is you really don't know the definition of the word cheap.

Second Honeymoon
06-08-2010, 02:48 PM
How the hell can you call McNair cheap when Drayton McClain still owns a team in this city?

My guess is you really don't know the definition of the word cheap.

I can call him cheap because he is. When has he ever done anything to improve the team that cost a lot of money, outside of re-signing his butt buddy David Carr to a maximum extension of course?

cheap coach, check.
cheap GM, check.
no activity in Free Agency, check.
no playoff appearances, check.
no commitment to winning a championship, check.
letting key players leave over money and not replacing them, check.
acting like 9-7 was a success, check.
telling key players they need a team friendly deal to improve team only to not improve team and in turn piss off the best player on the team, check.

if you think the Texans are well-run and committed to winning, you are a moron. its really that simple.

dalemurphy
06-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I can call him cheap because he is. When has he ever done anything to improve the team that cost a lot of money, outside of re-signing his butt buddy David Carr to a maximum extension of course?

cheap coach, check.
cheap GM, check.
no activity in Free Agency, check.
no playoff appearances, check.
no commitment to winning a championship, check.
letting key players leave over money and not replacing them, check.
acting like 9-7 was a success, check.
telling key players they need a team friendly deal to improve team only to not improve team and in turn piss off the best player on the team, check.

if you think the Texans are well-run and committed to winning, you are a moron. its really that simple.

CHEAP?

Is Dan Snyder cheap? They don't win either.

What successful organizations don't try and get their existing players for a discount? NE, Phillie, Pittsburgh...

Antonio Smith = 5 yrs and $35 million. Ironically, I'm sure you complained about overpaying for him, right?

This off-season, Schaub's option was picked up... Demeco was signed to a big deal and Wade Smith was signed as a FA.

Look at all the deals he made earlier:
Todd Wade, Robaire Smith, Zac Weigert, Seth Payne, Gary Walker, Tony Boselli... were all big contracts! most of those guys were overpayed. As a matter of a fact, for the expansion draft, we actually took on high salaries as part of an agreement with the organization in order to draft one of the more coveted players.... Ill-advised perhaps, but certainly not cheap.

** this was the worst class of FA in salary cap era history. Who didn't you want them to go get, exactly?

Texecutioner
06-08-2010, 03:11 PM
hey all,

Sporting News sucks just because they didn't give the beloved Texans who have never made the post season a higher rating?? Lol!!!

What did you honestly expect them to say? I'd say their reporting on this is right on par until proven otherwise.

dalemurphy
06-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Sporting News sucks just because they didn't give the beloved Texans who have never made the post season a higher rating?? Lol!!!

What did you honestly expect them to say? I'd say their reporting on this is right on par until proven otherwise.

Sure, that's a little silly and reactionary. But, the Sporting News, along with most national sports media, does stink. And, by the way, anyone that rates the 2010 KC Chiefs higher than the 2010 Houston Texans, either doesn't know football or simply didn't do their homework.

b0ng
06-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Dunta Robinson is a key player guys, we just didn't realize it during the season when he was getting constantly burned and called for DPI. That's pretty key right guys? guys?

It's pretty obvious SH has taken the Sean Hannity approach to discussing Texans football this offseason:

Find a ridiculous viewpoint and repeat it over and over again in hopes that people will believe you through repetition.

No matter how many times you say the same thing over and over (and get argued down by logical points) you're not going to convince anybody that doesn't have a pea for a brain in their head. Dunta Robinson getting paid 50 million dollars to help lead the league in DPI only exacerbates the idea that being frugal in this particular free agency period is probably a good idea.

Second Honeymoon
06-08-2010, 03:33 PM
CHEAP?

Is Dan Snyder cheap? They don't win either.

What successful organizations don't try and get their existing players for a discount? NE, Phillie, Pittsburgh...

Antonio Smith = 5 yrs and $35 million. Ironically, I'm sure you complained about overpaying for him, right?

This off-season, Schaub's option was picked up... Demeco was signed to a big deal and Wade Smith was signed as a FA.

Look at all the deals he made earlier:
Todd Wade, Robaire Smith, Zac Weigert, Seth Payne, Gary Walker, Tony Boselli... were all big contracts! most of those guys were overpayed. As a matter of a fact, for the expansion draft, we actually took on high salaries as part of an agreement with the organization in order to draft one of the more coveted players.... Ill-advised perhaps, but certainly not cheap.

** this was the worst class of FA in salary cap era history. Who didn't you want them to go get, exactly?

Dan Snyder is one out of 32 examples. Saying the word 'Dan Snyder' doesn't magically win the argument about McNair being cheap. McNair is not committed. DEEDS NOT WORDS (MEGAFORCE FTW!!)

Wade Smith? a Chief backup OL who needed an injury to get on the field. Well played, DM. *golf clap*

Smith was overpaid based on his production last year but he did address a need and that at least showed some gumption. Free Agents aren't cheap but if you overpay for 2nd tier guys why not just overpay for 1st tier guys?

Did you really have to dig up Boselli's name? Was trying to prove your point worth bringing his name up? He never even played a down for us and he wasn't a FA. Everyone with a brain knows that he was a throw in so that we could get Seth Payne and Gary Walker in the expansion draft. Payne wasn't a FA. Walker wasn't a FA. They were from the expansion draft. When you have to dream up Free Agents to prove your point that we sign Free Agents just shows how far off base you are.

The bad moves in FA have been Robaire Smith, Ahman Green, and to some extent, Todd Wade. All those guys were 2nd Tier FA's whereas there were better players available buut we tried to nickel and dime.

A team committed to winning would have done more this offseason. As for guys they should have targeted, they needed to either franchise Dunta or have a plan in place to replace him. They tried to nickel and dime Bodden and got their offer matched. They needed to pick up one of the myriad of quality veteran RBs this offseason, but didn't want to pay the money...thus they pigeonholed themselves into Tate and rolling with the sorry crew of running backs they currently have. Rolling into 2010 with this group of corners and this group of running backs spells disaster.

Next time you try and come up with a rebuke, feel free to check your facts. The Texans have yet to make a big splash in FA and have obviously made no big splashes when it comes to coaching. Kubiak is a bad head coach with a .500 record, but that was good enough for an extension from the Texans.

You think a team committed to winning would reward 9-7. This is the same guy that said he could fix Carr and we didn't need a QB only to give up one year into the experiment. He did it because this was the only job he could get. After all he is a 'hometown hero'? whatever the hell that means.

When have the Texans gone out and gotten a quality impact Free Agent. Antonio Smith is the closest thing and I think calling him impact is a stretch, but what do you know. They add him and the team makes some strides on the defense. Maybe actually spending money on decent players works after all. Just because you overpaid for garbage in the past doesn't mean you stop trying. maybe change your GM or get a decent scouting department or a coaching staff that just doesn't say what the owner wants to hear (i.e. Carr)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ke1ASHF4XvU/S7IWzFyhzOI/AAAAAAAAAkc/bg15qDd0eWU/s1600/Megaforce.jpg

El Tejano
06-08-2010, 03:40 PM
How about the trade we made for Eric Moulds? At the time one of the most coveted receivers out there. He didn't do squat and instead the "cheap" free agent we picked up from Cincy, Kevin Walter, has produced more than Moulds ever did.

dalemurphy
06-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Dan Snyder is one out of 32 examples. Saying the word 'Dan Snyder' doesn't magically win the argument about McNair being cheap. McNair is not committed. DEEDS NOT WORDS (MEGAFORCE FTW!!)

Wade Smith? a Chief backup OL who needed an injury to get on the field. Well played, DM. *golf clap*

Smith was overpaid based on his production last year but he did address a need and that at least showed some gumption. Free Agents aren't cheap but if you overpay for 2nd tier guys why not just overpay for 1st tier guys?

Did you really have to dig up Boselli's name? Was trying to prove your point worth bringing his name up? He never even played a down for us and he wasn't a FA. Everyone with a brain knows that he was a throw in so that we could get Seth Payne and Gary Walker in the expansion draft. Payne wasn't a FA. Walker wasn't a FA. They were from the expansion draft. When you have to dream up Free Agents to prove your point that we sign Free Agents just shows how far off base you are.

The bad moves in FA have been Robaire Smith, Ahman Green, and to some extent, Todd Wade. All those guys were 2nd Tier FA's whereas there were better players available buut we tried to nickel and dime.

A team committed to winning would have done more this offseason. As for guys they should have targeted, they needed to either franchise Dunta or have a plan in place to replace him. They tried to nickel and dime Bodden and got their offer matched. They needed to pick up one of the myriad of quality veteran RBs this offseason, but didn't want to pay the money...thus they pigeonholed themselves into Tate and rolling with the sorry crew of running backs they currently have. Rolling into 2010 with this group of corners and this group of running backs spells disaster.

Next time you try and come up with a rebuke, feel free to check your facts. The Texans have yet to make a big splash in FA and have obviously made no big splashes when it comes to coaching. Kubiak is a bad head coach with a .500 record, but that was good enough for an extension from the Texans.

You think a team committed to winning would reward 9-7. This is the same guy that said he could fix Carr and we didn't need a QB only to give up one year into the experiment. He did it because this was the only job he could get. After all he is a 'hometown hero'? whatever the hell that means.

When have the Texans gone out and gotten a quality impact Free Agent. Antonio Smith is the closest thing and I think calling him impact is a stretch, but what do you know. They add him and the team makes some strides on the defense. Maybe actually spending money on decent players works after all. Just because you overpaid for garbage in the past doesn't mean you stop trying. maybe change your GM or get a decent scouting department or a coaching staff that just doesn't say what the owner wants to hear (i.e. Carr)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ke1ASHF4XvU/S7IWzFyhzOI/AAAAAAAAAkc/bg15qDd0eWU/s1600/Megaforce.jpg

WOW!

I have nothing to add to this mess.

Other than: where is your list of FAs they should have spent money on? Is it really Leigh Bodden? that's it! You are mad they didn't give Bodden $30 million or give Dunta $50 million? okay, I guess.

b0ng
06-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Jerry Jones, Al Davis, Matt Millen. Basically you're opinion is still stupid, NEXT.

"I am angry they signed a guy for money, which doesn't jive with my cheap theory and also I don't like this player"

"I am going to make up some shit about the Boselli deal that I really don't know anything about and try to use it as fact. Also, I will call you out for doing the same"

A team committed to winning would have done more this offseason. As for guys they should have targeted, they needed to either franchise Dunta or have a plan in place to replace him.

Ignoring your own commentary earlier about overpaying crappy players when talking about Dunta Robinson is pretty ace dude. I'm sure that Atlanta is just going to love every minute of him being there suckling tens of millions of dollars off them for each DPI he gives up.

They tried to nickel and dime Bodden and got their offer matched.

Care to back this up with some actual facts and citations of this?

They needed to pick up one of the myriad of quality veteran RBs this offseason,

Quality RB's like the over-the-hill LdT and. . . well. . . hmmmm. . . yeah lets get another old guy for our RB situation and pay him like we did Green, oh wait no, you said Green was a bad move.

but didn't want to pay the money...thus they pigeonholed themselves into Tate and rolling with the sorry crew of running backs they currently have. Rolling into 2010 with this group of corners and this group of running backs spells disaster.

I see you've evaluated a lot of tape of our rookies coming in and have formed a very concrete and well informed opinion. Rookie RB's never prosper in their first year, it's one of the hardest to translate to the NFL! :clap: Also, you should ramp up the doom and gloom since you know, you've done all this research and have formed these opinions from concrete facts and not the gusting winds between your ears.

Next time you try and come up with a rebuke, feel free to check your facts.

Oh the delicious irony.

I'm going to go ahead and stop right here since the rest of your post is some more spewage of things that you would consider "facts" which are nothing more than "opinions a Cowboy fan could come up with". Every offseason it's the same thing, you come up with these half-cocked ideas of how the Texans are going to fail, and so far they've pretty much improved their record and play on the field. If the Texans were actually performing poorly you probably wouldn't be met with so much friction with your opinions and your "call-outs" but, alas, that's just not the case.

I'm sure Matt Schaub, Demeco Ryans, Antonio Smith, Mario Williams and others are all totally on board with the "McNair is cheap" diatribe you subject other readers of this board to every day or so. I'm sure nobody else thinks it's a tired schtick in the vein of SPORTS JUSTICE only much more terribly executed.

Can't wait to see the reply I'm sure it'll be long and full of the word "cheap" and the phrase "nickel and dime"