PDA

View Full Version : Texans ready to take the next step?

Grforces
06-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Just watched this, what do you guys think?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player-interviews/09000d5d81875a1f/Coaching-Spotlight-Gary-Kubiak

Carr Bombed
06-02-2010, 09:20 PM
What do I think....

I'm tired of hearing about "taking the next step".

SHOW ME!

Put up or shut up, no more talk. I'm tired of our team being the offseason darlings only to become January bridesmaids.

Thorn
06-02-2010, 09:34 PM
off season fodder, but still nice to watch. :)

Texan_Bill
06-02-2010, 09:42 PM
What do I think....

SHOW ME!

Put up or shut up, no more talk. I'm tired of our team being the offseason darlings only to become January bridesmaids.

As harsh as that sounds, sooooooo true!!!!

redwhiteANDblue
06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I can't see how this season can't be our year. Everyone is whining about the schedule and already marking us off for another 8-8 or 9-7 year. But open your eyes folks! These aren't your 2008 or 2007 texans! We can compete with any team in the NFL and we showed it last year. We've filled our holes! now, instead of bringing out Kris Brown or Chris Brown to win the game for us, we got Slate and Tate chewing up the clock and keeping it away from manning. Our defense has never been this great before and with a top 5 offense there's no reason for us to be any lower than 10-6

Carr Bombed
06-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I can't see how this season can't be our year. Everyone is whining about the schedule and already marking us off for another 8-8 or 9-7 year. But open your eyes folks! These aren't your 2008 or 2007 texans! We can compete with any team in the NFL and we showed it last year. We've filled our holes! now, instead of bringing out Kris Brown or Chris Brown to win the game for us, we got Slate and Tate chewing up the clock and keeping it away from manning. Our defense has never been this great before and with a top 5 offense there's no reason for us to be any lower than 10-6

The Texans showed the can compete with every team in the league...yes, but still haven't shown that they're ready to win the games they should (Both Jags games, MNF Titans game, etc.) or are ready to win IMPORTANT GAMES (both Colts games...and the 4 divisional game slide, which pretty much made their playoff chances VERY BLEAK). They should be well past the "just trying to be competitive week in and week out" phase of their progression by now.

Sorry, but there's alot to be worried about....especially with that schedule. (Honestly the Texans really screwed themselves last season for not taking advantage of that schedule) For Christ's sake, people are still waiting to "turn the corner". (BTW, I absolutely hate every time that question pops up)

I'm not trying to sound negative here and I really hope they finally get their crap together and start pushing GOOD teams around and develop a killer instinct against the ones they should handle rather easily (Rams game), but until they actually do that I'm going to have to assume they'll do what they've done for the past 3 seasons.

Thorn
06-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Each season is different, and each season someone you never expect can win it all. Hell, even the Mets won a world series and the Astros even got to play in one. There's no reason to count the Texans out. Especially this early.

Lucky
06-02-2010, 11:51 PM
"Texans ready to take the next step?"

Groan. We should put "take the next step" on the banned list. Along with "turn the corner" and "take it to the next level".

Goldensilence
06-02-2010, 11:53 PM

Groan. We should put "take the next step" on the banned list. Along with "turn the corner" and "take it to the next level".

Second the notion.

JB
06-03-2010, 12:01 AM

And " The most important game in franchise history"

GP
06-03-2010, 12:03 AM

Well, those kids just gotta' keep battling out there.

Leave nothing on the field.

[Insert favorite cliche here]

Texans don't need to take a step. They've been using Dr. Leo's baby-step program for the past four years already. Tie them to the mast: "I'm sailing, I'm sailing. I'm REALLY SAILING!!!"

http://flicksided.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/what-about-bob.jpg

dinkatoid
06-03-2010, 01:15 AM
Each season is different, and each season someone you never expect can win it all. Hell, even the Mets won a world series and the Astros even got to play in one. There's no reason to count the Texans out. Especially this early.

Please dont use the Astros as an example. Yes, they surprised us all with what they did, but look at them now. Plus, we had to borrow half the yankees starting pitching rotation to do it.

Grforces
06-03-2010, 03:36 AM
I used to work a job that kept me up till 5 or 6am. I dint catch many Texans games and therefore I dint follow them like I have this past season. This has been the longest off season in the world for me.
I hunt the web for anything Texans related, and I read almost anything that Texans fans post. I feel like I have a sickness and think that this next season will be the season we make it to the playoffs.
So what I think and feel is like what you guys have been for atleast the last 3 seasons(but for most of yall since inception) But yet, I find there are 2 kind of people on this site.
1. The perpetual downers. That hope for the best, but wont so much as say one positive thing, lest they get thier hopes up, even though they try and hide how much hope they have, they dont want to be let down again.
2. The half glass full people. Even though they feel like the Texans are not doing what they should, that they believe the FO is doing everything they can to bring us the best team possible.
What im trying to say is, despite how hard the scheduale is, anyone playing us should be worrying how to get past us.
(Sorry had a little too much to drink tonight)

BigBull17
06-03-2010, 08:44 AM

And David Carr

steelbtexan
06-03-2010, 09:27 AM
What do I think....

SHOW ME!

Cant rep you

But both of your posts in this thread are spot on.

steelbtexan
06-03-2010, 09:29 AM

Somebody should start a list of sayings that should be banned.

steelbtexan
06-03-2010, 09:34 AM
I used to work a job that kept me up till 5 or 6am. I dint catch many Texans games and therefore I dint follow them like I have this past season. This has been the longest off season in the world for me.
I hunt the web for anything Texans related, and I read almost anything that Texans fans post. I feel like I have a sickness and think that this next season will be the season we make it to the playoffs.
So what I think and feel is like what you guys have been for atleast the last 3 seasons(but for most of yall since inception) But yet, I find there are 2 kind of people on this site.
1. The perpetual downers. That hope for the best, but wont so much as say one positive thing, lest they get thier hopes up, even though they try and hide how much hope they have, they dont want to be let down again.
2. The half glass full people. Even though they feel like the Texans are not doing what they should, that they believe the FO is doing everything they can to bring us the best team possible.
What im trying to say is, despite how hard the scheduale is, anyone playing us should be worrying how to get past us.

The 1st group are realists that have had their hopes crushed many times times before.

The 2nd group are blind if they think the FO is doing everything they can to make the Texans a winner as quickly as possible.

thunderkyss
06-03-2010, 10:00 AM
The 1st group are realists that have had their hopes crushed many times times before.

The 2nd group are blind if they think the FO is doing everything they can to make the Texans a winner as quickly as possible.

He didn't say as quickly as possible.

I do consider myself a realist. For the most part, most of us agree that 4 years is enough time. most of us believe we should have been in the play-offs in '09.

What I and the other realist acknowledge, though, is that this is a bad ass team, and we were playing some damn good football on both sides of the ball in '09.

I can't, for the life of me, understand how anyone can think Kubiak won't ever get it done in Houston. No matter how I look at it, I feel GK missed the "4 year" standard by a matter of months. and if we could have back-doored our way into the play-offs, it would have been obvious. 2010 is going to be very exciting for us TexansFans:texflag:

steelbtexan
06-03-2010, 10:19 AM
He didn't say as quickly as possible.

I do consider myself a realist. For the most part, most of us agree that 4 years is enough time. most of us believe we should have been in the play-offs in '09.

What I and the other realist acknowledge, though, is that this is a bad ass team, and we were playing some damn good football on both sides of the ball in '09.

I can't, for the life of me, understand how anyone can think Kubiak won't ever get it done in Houston. No matter how I look at it, I feel GK missed the "4 year" standard by a matter of months. and if we could have back-doored our way into the play-offs, it would have been obvious. 2010 is going to be very exciting for us TexansFans:texflag:

A realist would recognize that even in their wins they usually only played one half of playoff caliber football. It came back to bite them in the butt.

What Aggie has ever won anything in sports? LOL

badboy
06-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Groan. We should put "take the next step" on the banned list. Along with "turn the corner" and "take it to the next level".I like the "potential" of your statement but urge you to "take it one day at a time" as on "any given Sunday" we can "just win, baby!"

badboy
06-03-2010, 10:35 AM
(Sorry had a little too much to drink tonight)I think there is a 3rd group that many of us fall into that carefully evaluate players, coaches, schedule, free agency, draft etc. We are cognizent of the W column but get value from the play and improvement of the team. Our team is more than just entertainment but sort of gets into our blood and we will at a moments notice stop and talk to a stranger that indicates by clothing or comment that he or she is also a Texans fan. We can be disgusted by a blown play and the very next play be supportive of the player that just messed up. We are awed at the unbelievable talent and skills of even the worst player yet recognize our team is made up of humans. We forget this sometimes but most of the time defend each of them like a family member. Like family, we discuss strengths and weaknesses and often underestimate or overestimate the issue and also our own opinions.

wagonhed
06-03-2010, 10:39 AM
You know who needs to take the biggest step? Kubiak.

JB
06-03-2010, 10:51 AM
I think there is a 3rd group that many of us fall into that carefully evaluate players, coaches, schedule, free agency, draft etc. We are cognizent of the W column but get value from the play and improvement of the team. Our team is more than just entertainment but sort of gets into our blood and we will at a moments notice stop and talk to a stranger that indicates by clothing or comment that he or she is also a Texans fan. We can be disgusted by a blown play and the very next play be supportive of the player that just messed up. We are awed at the unbelievable talent and skills of even the worst player yet recognize our team is made up of humans. We forget this sometimes but most of the time defend each of them like a family member. Like family, we discuss strengths and weaknesses and often underestimate or overestimate the issue and also our own opinions.

Well said. I think that most of us fit in that group

GP
06-03-2010, 10:58 AM

I don't think the coaches and players of the Titans, Jags, and Colts are losing any sleep over how to beat us. They've got Kubiak's number. We had ONE win out of SIX games against those teams last season. O-N-E. And that one win vs. Titans was at the start of the season when the Titans were losing to everyone, including Boy Scout Troop 152 at a charity event.

Ponder that for a second. Three teams, twice a year, for four years. That's 24 freaking games against the same teams, who retained the same coaches and the same offense and defense style over those four years.

Kubiak should have been fired for his divisional record alone. But, as McNair always does, he sees the potential in those who fail to reach the next level. It's his gig. It's his bread-and-butter. You stick with what doesn't work.

DISCLAIMER: Although I am not pleased with Gary Kubiak as or head coach, I have always maintained that he is a very good offensive coordinator who has improved this team tremendously. I do, however, also firmly believe that a head coach must be more than a good offensive coordinator. He must be able to find ways to get the t-e-a-m (not just the offense) to beat opponents. This means finding a way to exploit the weaknesses of divisional opponents whom we have faced 24 times in four seasons. At some point, you're improving all your other stats without actually improving the one stat that matters: Wins. I do not believe that you can be a scoring machine and win the whole enchilada. Ask Warren Moon. Also, see the Colts who can score millions of points but have only won ONE title in all those years of racking up crazy offensive stats. I hope we get over the top this year, but I have serious doubts that are rooted in four years of witnessing Kubiak suck eggs against divisional opponents. You have to at least split your divisional games, and I would even give away BOTH Colts games if we could just split (at worst) with Jags and Titans. With Radio at the helm of the Titans, how can we NOT beat them? With a gutted Jags roster, how can we NOT beat them? If we are big boys, we need to handle those two teams. I'm waiting.

HOU-TEX
06-03-2010, 11:21 AM
What do I think....

SHOW ME!

QFT!!

We're the Cardinals of a few years back. The team that the talking heads choose to go to the playoffs in the off-season, yet end up layin an egg at some point once the season begins.

thunderkyss
06-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I think there is a 3rd group that many of us fall into that carefully evaluate players, coaches, schedule, free agency, draft etc. We are cognizent of the W column but get value from the play and improvement of the team. Our team is more than just entertainment but sort of gets into our blood and we will at a moments notice stop and talk to a stranger that indicates by clothing or comment that he or she is also a Texans fan. We can be disgusted by a blown play and the very next play be supportive of the player that just messed up. We are awed at the unbelievable talent and skills of even the worst player yet recognize our team is made up of humans. We forget this sometimes but most of the time defend each of them like a family member. Like family, we discuss strengths and weaknesses and often underestimate or overestimate the issue and also our own opinions.

I like this as well. Only think I would change, would be to add coach & player, every where you see player.

Thorn
06-03-2010, 01:07 PM
I think there are lots of groups we could define. I’d be in the one that recognizes full well Kubiak hasn’t gotten the job done, some poor choices by the front office, and some questionable drafting at times. But you know, with all that, after a while I get tired of the negativism and just ignore the bad and point to the good and say “We gonna kick some ass this year”. And then hope we actually do. LOL

The Texans may well disappoint me again this year, but I'll be right back the next year anyway. I was trained by the Oilers to be that way and I'm to old to change now.

badboy
06-03-2010, 02:07 PM
I think there are lots of groups we could define. I’d be in the one that recognizes full well Kubiak hasn’t gotten the job done, some poor choices by the front office, and some questionable drafting at times. But you know, with all that, after a while I get tired of the negativism and just ignore the bad and point to the good and say “We gonna kick some ass this year”. And then hope we actually do. LOL

The Texans may well disappoint me again this year, but I'll be right back the next year anyway. I was trained by the Oilers to be that way and I'm to old to change now.Isn't that a fact.

Texas T
06-03-2010, 02:17 PM

This is definately my group.

I live in NJ and sit with KC fans when I watch games on Sunday. We are very similar (okay my teams better) but we are all dedicated to our teams.

I was in Wallyworld after the fourth game last season and ran into probably the only other Texans fan in NJ-and we had a great discussion about the team.

GO TEXANS!!

steelbtexan
06-03-2010, 07:19 PM
[/B]Isn't that a fact.

The Texans have been quite Oileresque under the direction of Smithiak. Which is much better than the C&C losing factory years.

Wolf
06-03-2010, 08:14 PM
true thorn.. I am actually tired of hearing the "p" word thrown around and I wish Kubiak would ban that word.. I swear every time that i have heard the Texans use that word, they fall on their dang face

Texans need to put down the sippy cup and take the freaking training wheels off and quit talking and do it this year.

Thorn
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
true thorn.. I am actually tired of hearing the "p" word thrown around and I wish Kubiak would ban that word.. I swear every time that i have heard the Texans use that word, they fall on their dang face

Texans need to put down the sippy cup and take the freaking training wheels off and quit talking and do it this year.

The House Of Pain needs a return engagement.

That'l get the folks singing again.

Texan_Bill
06-03-2010, 11:39 PM

Yesssssss!!!! I likey!!! :thumbup

SAMURAITEXAN
06-03-2010, 11:44 PM

Yeap Thorn. I am with you on that!

Go Texans!!!

Norg
06-04-2010, 12:05 AM
call me cazy but there is no reason why we cant go 16-0 :P

JUst sayin

GP
06-04-2010, 03:31 AM
What. Is. A "Next Step?"

http://www.r2kt.com/top20robots/hal_9000.gif

badboy
06-04-2010, 09:34 AM
call me cazy but there is no reason why we cant go 16-0 :P

JUst sayinYou will get a few responses to your comment but I want to agree with you. If each player plays to their abilities, coaches bring a decent plan each game and injuries do not play a significant role, we could go 16-0.

gary
06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Texans ready to make the playoffs?

threetoedpete
06-06-2010, 05:35 PM
I'm just wondering how they are going to come out of the first four at 3-1 ? 16-0 ? Wake me when we're 1-1 against Manning and the Colts. With Freeny out, with a lead at half time twice, with a rookie at corner, they still didn't fail managing the colts twenty one straight points and another fourth quarter collapse. Once it's a coincidence. Twice it's a trend.....after three times, we've seen the best they have and the best we have. So far I've seen nothing which suggests these players can put together four quarters of football and beat Manning. Want respect ? Sweep the Colts and win the division outright. That'll pretty much do it. What I expect however is exactly what we got last year. Sleep walk the first game, stumble to 1-3 and play catch up the rest of the season. It's what we do best.

CloakNNNdagger
06-06-2010, 05:52 PM
What im trying to say is, despite how hard the scheduale is, anyone playing us should be worrying how to get past us. (Sorry had a little too much to drink tonight)

Those teams may be worried for those one or two games, that they might just be that team that gets screwed by the Texans. But going by their history, the Texans have to look at playing 16 games where they have to work hard trying not to screw themselves.:tiphat:

http://opengardensblog.futuretext.com/waiting%20for%20a%20standard.JPG

CloakNNNdagger
06-06-2010, 05:57 PM

I think you're right...........as long as the pain doesn't refer to us the fans.

Norg
06-07-2010, 05:14 PM
After seeing the Home game aganist indy from last year on NFL Replay I have my doubt again

From scahub throwing like 2 picks and a fumble in the 2nd half to seal our fate LOL

One from Kimbo Slice aka Session was a WTF moment LOL

thunderkyss
06-07-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm confident the Texans are going to end the season with 10 or more wins in 2010. I don't need to wait till after the fact, to believe they'll do something they've never done before.

It's not rocket science to see this team is better than any Texans team we've had to date. With the experience our younger guys got last year, injuries shouldn't be as big a hurdle to overcome either.