PDA

View Full Version : Rick Dennison Q&A at All Access Video

Texans_Chick
06-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Here's an edited down version of the Rick Dennison Q&A at All Access:

Texans offensive coordinator Rick Dennison Q&A (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/06/texans_offensive_coordinator_r.html)

IDEXAN
06-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Wow, I was favorably impressed with Dennison. He's plain-spoken like Kubiak,
while being much more articulate and comfortible demeanor wise than the HC. And I appreciated his observations about Tate, when he basically said
"no big freakin" deal about his absense so far, instead of Kubiak already starting to whine about him not being able to get on the field when he's the guy who drafted the running-back from Auburn with a history of hammy-problems.
In checking out Dennisons bio, notice he's a "Big-Sky" native (from Kalispell,
which is near the entrance to "Glacier NP" and almost to the national border), went to college at CSU, and coachend for Denver and wondering how the poor guy is handleing those brutal Houston summers ? Wonder if he's ever experienced that kind of heat and humidty before ?

Texans_Chick
06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Wow, I was favorably impressed with Dennison. He's plain-spoken like Kubiak,
while being much more articulate and comfortible demeanor wise than the HC. And I appreciated his observations about Tate, when he basically said
"no big freakin" deal about his absense so far, instead of Kubiak already starting to whine about him not being able to get on the field when he's the guy who drafted the running-back from Auburn with a history of hammy-problems.
In checking out Dennisons bio, notice he's a "Big-Sky" native (from Kalispell,
which is near the entrance to "Glacier NP" and almost to the national border), went to college at CSU, and coachend for Denver and wondering how the poor guy is handleing those brutal Houston summers ? Wonder if he's ever experienced that kind of heat and humidty before ?

I've seen Kubiak speak a ton of times in front of large crowds, and think he is really good at it. I don't think that the brief pressers are a good illustration of his speaking style.

If you want to see an example of it, check out an excerpt from last year's TD club speech. It is on my YouTube channel listed in that blog post.

IDEXAN
06-02-2010, 02:07 PM
I've seen Kubiak speak a ton of times in front of large crowds, and think he is really good at it. I don't think that the brief pressers are a good illustration of his speaking style.

Perhaps Kubiak can do well with a prepared speech, but no, I've not been too impressed with his attempts at impromptu comments or informal briefings of the press. Nor his responsiveness and candor to questions from fans.
But you're a good Texans booster TC, and I appreciate you for that.

HOU-TEX
06-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Nice video, TC. It provided some decent info.

Texans_Chick
06-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Perhaps Kubiak can do well with a prepared speech, but no, I've not been too impressed with his attempts at impromptu comments or informal briefings of the press. Nor his responsiveness and candor to questions from fans.
But you're a good Texans booster TC, and I appreciate you for that.

I've had years of training as a professional speaker. Not that I'm terribly proficient at it, but I've done well enough for my purposes.

To speak in front of large crowds without reading from notes and in the motivational way that Kubiak does it is not easy.

And his job is not to provide candor to fans at press conferences. It's to provide information without saying stuff that hurts the team. He can't tell his team to keep things inside the lockerroom if he is an indiscreet person himself.

You can dismiss my opinion as just being a booster, but I think Kubiak is very effective in giving talks to large groups of fans and answering questions from them. I've heard him do that repeatedly.

JB
06-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I've had years of training as a professional speaker. Not that I'm terribly proficient at it, but I've done well enough for my purposes.

To speak in front of large crowds without reading from notes and in the motivational way that Kubiak does it is not easy.

And his job is not to provide candor to fans at press conferences. It's to provide information without saying stuff that hurts the team. He can't tell his team to keep things inside the lockerroom if he is an indiscreet person himself.

You can dismiss my opinion as just being a booster, but I think Kubiak is very effective in giving talks to large groups of fans and answering questions from them. I've heard him do that repeatedly.

I think people put way too much significance in his post game demeanor.

Lucky
06-02-2010, 11:13 PM
That Q&A with Dennison at All Access was the first time I had heard him speak. He seems very confident, in a relaxed manner. Of course if I had Andre Johnson, Matt Schaub, and Owen Daniels, I might feel pretty confident. Still, he left a very favorable impression on me. And if the Texans have the type of success we all hope for, I could see Dennison becoming a hot commodity as a head coaching candidate.

IDEXAN
06-03-2010, 09:58 AM
You can dismiss my opinion as just being a booster
Honestly I wasn't patronizing you, my remark about you being a good booster for the Texans was meant strictly in a complimentary sense.

m5kwatts
06-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Who cares how any coach deals with the media? If you win games and produce I don't care if you moon the press and speak with your butt cheeks like in Ace Ventura.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DrRE1LDY_U

Texans_Chick
06-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Honestly I wasn't patronizing you, my remark about you being a good booster for the Texans was meant strictly in a complimentary sense.

It's cool.:bubble:

bckey
06-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Who cares how any coach deals with the media? If you win games and produce I don't care if you moon the press and speak with your butt cheeks like in Ace Ventura.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DrRE1LDY_U

That is why fans still care how he deals with the media. He hasn't met your criteria yet.:kitten: