PDA

View Full Version : Kubiaks biggest flaw

small nizzle
05-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Is that he is to loyal to previous years starters,to loyal to "vets" and to loyal to 'players he used to know'.

Examples:
1.took him atleast 2 years to figure out Jacoby Jones is better than David Anderson, and he still hasnt figured out that Jones is better than Walter after 3 years (stretch the field anyone?)

2.took him atleast 14 games last season to figure out that Foster is >>>>> Brown . It actually cost the playoffs because Brown single handily cost 2 games by himself(maybe 3)

3.took him the last 2 years to figure out Kris Brown sucks and to find a replacement (and I wouldnt be surprised if Brown still starts)

4.has taken him 2 years and counting to understand Myers sucks and gets blown up., yet wont replace him with white,shelly,caldwell,or draft a center.

5.took him all of last year and still counting to realize Barwin should be starting ahead of Antonio Smith

Im now positive that Kubiaks 'kids' will not be replaced. The ship will go down with them.

m5kwatts
05-31-2010, 12:27 PM
Is that he is to loyal to previous years starters,to loyal to "vets" and to loyal to 'players he used to know'.

Examples:
1.took him atleast 2 years to figure out Jacoby Jones is better than David Anderson, and he still hasnt figured out that Jones is better than Walter after 3 years (stretch the field anyone?)

2.took him atleast 14 games last season to figure out that Foster is >>>>> Brown . It actually cost the playoffs because Brown single handily cost 2 games by himself(maybe 3)

3.took him the last 2 years to figure out Kris Brown sucks and to find a replacement (and I wouldnt be surprised if Brown still starts)

4.has taken him 2 years and counting to understand Myers sucks and gets blown up., yet wont replace him with white,shelly,caldwell,or draft a center.

5.took him all of last year and still counting to realize Barwin should be starting ahead of Antonio Smith

Im now positive that Kubiaks 'kids' will not be replaced. The ship will go down with them.

Ridiculously ignorant post.

-Jacoby and David play 2 different roles as receivers in this offense. Jacoby plays on the edge and his best routes are deep go routes/comebacks. David is a slot receiver or 'Z' receiver and most of his routes are crossing/hitch underneath routes. And I don't know how long you've been following the Texans but Jacoby spent his rookie and sophomore seasons developing stagnantly and was not better than David or Walter or even Andre Davis for that matter.

-Kris Brown was a really good kicker before last year. There was no reason to think he was going to have the awful year he did based on his previous years.

-Your take on the defensive end rotation is short-sighted and laughably dumb. Again you're comparing two players whose roles and skill sets are completely different. Smith was a first and second down defensive end and third down DT. Barwin was a 3rd down defensive end and occasional stand up linebacker. In fact I'd say almost every snap Barwin was on the field Antonio was too. And Barwin had neither the capacity physically or mentally to play on 1st and 2nd down last year and probably still won't be seen much there next year either.

Maddict5
05-31-2010, 01:13 PM
:headhurts:

pokaholic777
05-31-2010, 01:39 PM
wow, this post is dumb...Antonio Smith is a beast.

Jackie Chiles
05-31-2010, 01:40 PM

Examples:

Point 2 is the only good point you make. 1 for 5, you could play for the Astros right now.

On point 1, Jacoby couldn't get out of his own way and he finally started to get it together last year. Like a previous poster said, he and David Andersen are different receivers and Andersen does what he is supposed to do very well. I expect a big year out of Jacoby but there was a point I thought he would never put it all together.

On point 3, it could be argued that Kubiak waited too long on Brown but that doesn't span 2 years. He had a good year before last and only started stinking up the joint this past season. I am hopeful that Rackers can win the job.

Point 4, Shelley is a rookie this year so not sure why you even mention him, White is not a guy I want starting, and Caldwell was a rook who earned a little PT towards the end of the year but wasn't anything special by any means.

5, you must be joking, Smith was our second best lineman last year and he was breathing down Mario's neck for those honors.

Also, to, two, too, to, two, too, to, two, too

datchapin
05-31-2010, 01:45 PM
I don't really agree with the OP's specific examples, but the general thought. Yeah, I think he sticks with some players longer than he should. Putzier anybody? There are plenty of examples, I don't think it's isolated only to Kubes. However since he's the head coach of the team I love it's hard to gloss over things that in hindsight might not be a big deal.

I think that his biggest failing is disciplining the players and having them ready for game day and then communication on game day.

His in game decisions I think are a result from not having good communication. When he didn't snap the ball in the first Colts game this yr. was a result of breakdown in communication. In Kubiaks words he admitted he wasn't aware of what was going on on the field. That has to be corrected. While I can hope it'll happen this yr. it's been an issue throughout his tenure here.

After the Jacksonville game one of their DE's pointed out a technical flaw in Duane Browns play that was giving away what kind of play it was before the snap. That really upset me because Kubes said that that wasn't a problem. The issue wasn't how he dealt with the comments, but to me, that he hadn't addressed this problem before. I can't remember who, I think it was Vinney and someone else mentioned this way back in the day before the Jacksonville game. Maybe I'm wrong, but if fans and opposing players can spot this I find it hard to believe that Kubiak didn't notice it. Then the question becomes why didn't he correct the problem or put someone else out there that could resolve the problem.

The other play that drives the point home in regards to failing to prepare players was the C. Brown pass in the Jacksonville game. Nothing went right on that play with Brown. However in Kubiaks comments afterwards he said that they were running that play well in practice. I'm sorry, but that play just reeked of lack of discipline and not being prepared.

I think these are Kubiaks biggest flaws. It's my believe that if he doesn't address them there is little reason to believe we will do much better.

Just my 2 cents. (hehe, 2 cents is a band and they opened for Korn's ballroom blitz. I thought that was interesting.)

ChampionTexan
05-31-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't really agree with the OP's specific examples, but the general thought. Yeah, I think he sticks with some players longer than he should. Putzier anybody? There are plenty of examples, I don't think it's isolated only to Kubes. However since he's the head coach of the team I love it's hard to gloss over things that in hindsight might not be a big deal.

Putzier? Putzier was here for 2 years, and started 6 games (only one of which was in his second season), and was active for a grand total of 22. This is what qualifies as sticking with a guy too long?

pbat488
05-31-2010, 02:47 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/24y7a6q.jpg

powerfuldragon
05-31-2010, 02:54 PM
nope. his biggest flaw is being an aggie.

:jogger:

Grforces
05-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Kubes biggest flaw is taking the foot off the gas when we have the lead going into the 3rd quarter.
I dont sit in his meetings, im not on the side lines during ota's and practices, and im not in the locker room before the game starts, so all I have to go on is his press meetings and what I see during the game when he is on the side lines.
That being said, I think that maybe, just maybe, that he can't take the next step from coordinator to head coach. Our offense (passing game) is one of the best, if not the best in the NFL. But what is missing is, coming from behind to win games. When we are winning, not giving up the lead to lose, or barely scrap by. Just seems like no one leads the team, the players try, but it seems like everything is so lax that people kinda brush it off. (Thats part of the reason im so excited this year, reading about how pollard is being a real leader)

thunderkyss
05-31-2010, 06:51 PM
I have a feeling he'll earn coach of the year in 2010.

Winning tends to change a lot of peoples minds about a lot of little things.

:kitten:

The Cush
05-31-2010, 06:57 PM
Really? I've always thought his biggest flaw is his inability to think critically in high pressure situations (anything that has to do with the challenge flag, halfback passes in the RZ, etc...)

V3rm0nt3r
05-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Also, to, two, too, to, two, too, to, two, too

Thank you so much for posting this. You have picked out the biggest flaw with this thread and I congratulate you for that.

V3rm0nt3r
05-31-2010, 07:32 PM
Also, when I first joined this site I seem to remember a rule that you had to have at least 50 posts before you could start a thread. Was this just a rule for me (not blaming you if it was) or was it just done away with?

Corrosion
05-31-2010, 08:49 PM

Its not a new record , dont think anyone can beat Johnsonfan at that but it only took him 8 posts to come up with this garbage.

:mail:

Texan_Bill
05-31-2010, 09:49 PM
:facepalm: Small Nizzle!

Goatcheese
05-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Kubiak's problem is that he only trusts FoKers.

SAMURAITEXAN
05-31-2010, 10:01 PM
This thread sounds ridiculous. But, he is getting a lots of attention.

Go Texans!!!

JB
05-31-2010, 10:01 PM
:facepalm: Small Nizzle!

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx307/TexanJB/x-files113SMALL.jpg

I really hope this is just someone wanting to stir up something.

I shudder to think of the possibility that its not.

ChrisG
05-31-2010, 10:11 PM

-Jacoby and David play 2 different roles as receivers in this offense. Jacoby plays on the edge and his best routes are deep go routes/comebacks. David is a slot receiver or 'Z' receiver and most of his routes are crossing/hitch underneath routes. And I don't know how long you've been following the Texans but Jacoby spent his rookie and sophomore seasons developing stagnantly and was not better than David or Walter or even Andre Davis for that matter.

-Kris Brown was a really good kicker before last year. There was no reason to think he was going to have the awful year he did based on his previous years.

-Your take on the defensive end rotation is short-sighted and laughably dumb. Again you're comparing two players whose roles and skill sets are completely different. Smith was a first and second down defensive end and third down DT. Barwin was a 3rd down defensive end and occasional stand up linebacker. In fact I'd say almost every snap Barwin was on the field Antonio was too. And Barwin had neither the capacity physically or mentally to play on 1st and 2nd down last year and probably still won't be seen much there next year either.

:goodpost:

OP must think this is Madden where every player at the same position is interchangable

Texan_Bill
05-31-2010, 10:29 PM
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx307/TexanJB/x-files113SMALL.jpg

I really hope this is just someone wanting to stir up something.

I shudder to think of the possibility that its not.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was meant to :

:stirpot:

BigBull17
06-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Examples:

This was touched upon a little but I'll elaborate.

1. JJ and DA play different positions, yes. But until last year, JJ was to careless and immature to be on the field on offense. He was almost cut, truth be told, till he grew up.

2. Brown was bad, but Foster wasn't practicing well enough to trust him. He wasn't getting the blocking aspect, and wasn't taking his job seriously. Thats a problem.

3. Kris Brown played at a pro bowl level 2 years ago, so this is a bad statement. Last year was bad, but you don't cut a kicker mid season just to sign fodder that doesn't have a job for a reason.

4. Meyers isn't great. Or even good. But he knows thee line calls and does fine when not playing vs NT. The other guys you listed aren't world beaters.

5. If you want to have a glaring bulls eye for the other team to run the ball at, makle Barwin an every down DE. He is a great complement and pass rusher, but he cant stop the run well enought yet to be the full time DE. He may never be that.

steelbtexan
06-01-2010, 10:16 AM
The ? was what is Kubes greatest flaw. People got so caught up in the Snizzles failure to identify what the real flaws with Kubes are. That's what makes this thread a FAIL. IMHO

For me it's not getting his team to play hard for 4 qtrs.

And his lack of clock management/replay reviews are maddening.

Blake
06-01-2010, 10:19 AM
His podium tapping skills are subpar.

BigBull17
06-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I think he got a little better with clo0ck managment, except for the fumble thing. His challenges are very annoying. It's hard to not blast a guy who makes uneducated statements like " A. Smith sucks balls" and not call a guy out for it.

Ckw
06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Small nizzle... :lol:

Looks like someone has a small "nizzle" :lol:

BullNation4Life
06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
The ? was what is Kubes greatest flaw. People got so caught up in the Snizzles failure to identify what the real flaws with Kubes are. That's what makes this thread a FAIL. IMHO

Not gonna debate the whole fumble in Indy play because it has been beat to death and I will be seen as a Kubiak apologist because of my angle on the play, but would this really fall on Kubiak or on the replay guy in the booth? Yes I know it ultimately comes down to the head coach, but isn't the replay guy responsible for making quick, accurate decisions on challenges and notifying the HC?

BigBull17
06-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Not gonna debate the whole fumble in Indy play because it has been beat to death and I will be seen as a Kubiak apologist because of my angle on the play, but would this really fall on Kubiak or on the replay guy in the booth? Yes I know it ultimately comes down to the head coach, but isn't the replay guy responsible for making quick, accurate decisions on challenges and notifying the HC?

I get what you're saying, but its either on him or guys he employs and trusts.

Big Lou
06-01-2010, 12:00 PM
And I was going to say his posture........

BullNation4Life
06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
And I was going to say his posture........

Or his hair. Is it a spike, is it a crew cut, who can tell.....

http://photos.upi.com/topics-Houston-Texans-Head-Coach-Gary-Kubiak-Shows-his-Frustration-at-Reliant-Stadium-in-Houston/03c62c84f0ffea9fdbbf0816054f746c/G_1.jpg

BullNation4Life
06-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I get what you're saying, but its either on him or guys he employs and trusts.

which, like I said, ultimately fall in the HC's lap. I would love to have that gig though, the replay guy. It would be a nerve racking job but I like being able to make that ballsy call....

dalemurphy
06-01-2010, 12:44 PM

Are you kidding!? He's the best podium-tapper in the entire NFL right now!

steelbtexan
06-01-2010, 12:50 PM
But for all the Kubes fans what are his greatest faults?

Does he have any?

dalemurphy
06-01-2010, 12:53 PM
If Kasey Studdard is handed the starting LG job, I reserve my right to soften my defense of Kubes... outside of that, here you go:

I understand the frustration people express regarding his reliance on lesser talented vets like Chris Brown over Arian Foster... however, we had the youngest starting NFL squad last season. So, I think that says something about his willingness to play youngsters. Also, I think the reliance on the inexperienced players is a good part of the team's inability to finish games. As they mature, that will change. So, I think it is difficult to argue that Kubiak should've gone even younger than he did last year. I'm sure it's an internal debate that they are constantly struggling with. A team does need some veteran presence out there.

Head coaches make bonehead decisions all the time. We happen to follow Kubes closer so we see more of his and react to them because they have a greater effect on our lives as Texan fans. Ask a Pats fan about Belichek's coaching decisions last season. He made a ton of huge mental errors that cost the team football games. For every example of a Kubiak bad decisions, I can easily give you a similar poor decision by a more respected NFL head coach.

dalemurphy
06-01-2010, 01:01 PM

Does he have any?

It's hard for me to say what "terminal" flaws he has, but I can certainly point to some poor decisions he has made:

1. Contentment to enter '09 season with Nick Ferguson as primary backup safety and with Barber the defacto starter opposite Eugene Wilson.

2. His odd love affair with Kasey Studdard.

3. Horrible decision to HB pass against Jacksonville

4. Inability to see that Matt Schaub had suffered a concussion late first quarter of the Pittsburgh game in 2008... He was left in and was totally foggy and a mess the next hour of football... He clearly should've been pulled out.

5. He should've assessed Richard Smith more quickly and removed him after the '07 season.

6. With the ZBS struggling severely last season, they should have run more counter/misdirection, draws, etc... to aid the running game.

7. In 2008 at Jacksonville, should've called a timeout before the fake punt... when the team was clearly confused pre-snap... Similarly, should've done it before Chris Johnson TD catch at Tennessee in '09.

8. Amobi Okoye shouldn't play nearly as many snaps as they've played him.

threetoedpete
06-01-2010, 01:40 PM
I think he got a little better with clo0ck managment, except for the fumble thing. His challenges are very annoying. It's hard to not blast a guy who makes uneducated statements like " A. Smith sucks balls" and not call a guy out for it.

I believe but was not in the room a lot, a lot of the challenges the first two years were to keep the defense from imploding.

He's suborn to a fault. He sticks with veterans way too long to suit me. But he did a superior job holding the o line together last year when he lost both of his starting guards by the middle of October. He also stuck with Jacoby Jones a lot longer than a lot of coaches would have. And those dividends should pay off huge this season. White, Studdard and Caldwell got a lot of reps last season. No replacement for experience when the bullets are flying all the way live. Now whether the offensive genious walked of to Washington or not we'll find out the first four games. He's a control freak. The more jobs he delegates the smarter he becomes.

I still say he is flat out dead wrong not moving Diles out to the SAM the first four games. Adibi deserves his shot. Diles is the closest thing we have to Cushing's speed. Some one is going to have to chase Dallas Clark , Chris Cooley, Jason Whitten and Zac Miller and whatever speed demon the raiders can lock one on one with our Sam the first four games. If he has Sharpton or one of the gray beards out there , it is not going to be pretty. My guess is he is going with one of the gray beards. Because of the contoll freak thing, of Kubes protecting the assistance from the heat, you have no way of knowing the "drop dead" rhetoric is coming form Bush or Kubiak. You just don't know. But whom ever they are drop dead wrong.

Dallas Clark: 100 catches, 1100 yards, 10 tds
(08)Chris Cooley: 83 receps. 2 TDs
Jason Whitten: 94 receps. 1030 , 2 Tds
Zac Miller: 66 recps., 806, 3 TDs.

BigBull17
06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I believe but was not in the room a lot, a lot of the challenges the first two years were to keep the defense from imploding.

He's suborn to a fault. He sticks with veterans way too long to suit me. But he did a superior job holding the o line together last year when he lost both of his starting guards by the middle of October. He also stuck with Jacoby Jones a lot longer than a lot of coaches would have. And those dividends should pay off huge this season. White, Studdard and Caldwell got a lot of reps last season. No replacement for experience when the bullets are flying all the way live. Now whether the offensive genious walked of to Washington or not we'll find out the first for games. He's a control freak. The more jobs he delegates the smarter he becomes. I still say he is flat out dead wrong not moving Diles out to the SAM the first four games. Adibi deserves his shot. Diles is the closest thing we have to Cushing's speed. Some one is going to have to chase Dallas Clark , Chris Cooley, Jason Whitten and Zac Miller and whatever speed demon the raiders can lock one on one with our Sam the first four games. If he has Sharpton or one of the gray beards out there , it is not going to be pretty. My guess is he is going with one of the gray beards.

I get what you're saying about Diles, but Kubes is trying to change only oneposition, not two. I bet if it looks bad during pre-season they will do it. You're right about him getting smarter the less he micro manages. I think having a more experienced play caller will be a boon. Lil Shanny will be a good one, but he was under qualified for his job. JJ may make him look like a brilliant ****ing person. Heres to hoping.

EDIT: Bob McNair is cheap. That is all.

disaacks3
06-01-2010, 02:02 PM
.....is over-reliance on Denver to provide castoffs who fit his system.

Texas T
06-01-2010, 02:04 PM

You really nailed it.
Once he gets the team to play the whole game all of the rest of the problems will slowly fade.
Hopefully after last season the team will respond to him better.

PLAYOFFS BOUND!!

76Texan
06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I still say he is flat out dead wrong not moving Diles out to the SAM the first four games. Adibi deserves his shot. Diles is the closest thing we have to Cushing's speed. Some one is going to have to chase Dallas Clark , Chris Cooley, Jason Whitten and Zac Miller and whatever speed demon the raiders can lock one on one with our Sam the first four games. If he has Sharpton or one of the gray beards out there , it is not going to be pretty. My guess is he is going with one of the gray beards. Because of the contoll freak thing, of Kubes protecting the assistance from the heat, you have no way of knowing the "drop dead" rhetoric is coming form Bush or Kubiak. You just don't know. But whom ever they are drop dead wrong.

Results were from his pro-day.
His time is slower than both Adibi's and Sharpston's.

http://walterfootball.com/pro2007KSU.phpZach Diles ILB 6-0 240 4.80 Recorded a 33.5-inch vertical and 22 reps of 225 lbs. His 40 would have been one of the slowest for his position at the Combine.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1735990

Agility Tests
Campus: 4.76 in the 40-yard dash (wind-aided) … 4.83 40-yard dash (against the wind) … Bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times … 4.22 20-yard shuttle … 7.16 three-cone drill … 33.5-inch vertical jump … 9'5" broad jump.

76Texan
06-01-2010, 03:07 PM
6. With the ZBS struggling severely last season, they should have run more counter/misdirection, draws, etc... to aid the running game.

The problem, IMO, was due more to fumbling rather than an inept running game.

Adding to that was the fact that many of us saw Slaton without the speed and the agility he had in the previous season.

Thirdly when you run more in short yardage situation against a stack defense, your ypc goes down.

Look at how horrible the Colts' running game was.
And they passed in short yardage situations a whole lot more than us;
whether it was 2nd and 3 or third and 3 (or shorter).

thunderkyss
06-01-2010, 03:47 PM
I get what you're saying about Diles, but Kubes is trying to change only oneposition, not two. I bet if it looks bad during pre-season they will do it. You're right about him getting smarter the less he micro manages. I think having a more experienced play caller will be a boon. Lil Shanny will be a good one, but he was under qualified for his job. JJ may make him look like a brilliant ****ing person. Heres to hoping.

I also don't think we man up very often. I'll watch the games again, but I very seldom see our SAM motion with the tightend. With the Colts, the TE almost always motions (like ours).

badboy
06-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I wish Gary would listen to more Guns N Roses! Especially Welcome to the Jungle!

SteveSlaton20
06-01-2010, 04:58 PM
nope. his biggest flaw is being an aggie.

:jogger:

dammit, i was gonna post this. but i agree with this anyway.

76Texan
06-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I also don't think we man up very often. I'll watch the games again, but I very seldom see our SAM motion with the tightend. With the Colts, the TE almost always motions (like ours).

In the game up in Indy, we did... and Clark just killed Cushing.

Up until about 10:40 something in the second quarter.
8 catches for 69yds with Cushing in man against Clark (plus a holding penalty on Cushhing); in addition to 1 catch for 6 yds in zone (with Cushing responsible for that zone).

We then switched to zone with better results against Clark for the rest of the game, especially when considering that we limited the number of pass attempts thrown to him.

Clark had 5 catches for 44yds in zone for the rest of the game.

I still have the game notes but you probably don't want to bother with the details.
It was just a matter of a couple veterans exploiting a rookie.
It wasn't terrible, but it was definititely good schooling.

Goldensilence
06-01-2010, 08:07 PM

Agreed. This thread is a fail because it really fails to address Gary Kubiak's coaching inadequacies in logical manner.

Though I thought Gary should've been released, I've come to accept he'll be here at least one more year. I'd rather see this team win that it lose and get a new HC no matter how much I think it needs one.

Dunno how many post game press conferences you watch, but Kubiak's definitely got top three skills. It's why he gets away with and inability to explain loses except for saying " It's on me."

That and the Houston media can't find themselves to ask Gary a tough question.

threetoedpete
06-02-2010, 07:48 AM
I get what you're saying about Diles, but Kubes is trying to change only one position, not two. I bet if it looks bad during pre-season they will do it. You're right about him getting smarter the less he micro manages. I think having a more experienced play caller will be a boon. Lil Shanny will be a good one, but he was under qualified for his job. JJ may make him look like a brilliant ****ing person. Heres to hoping.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/05/29/texans-cb-jackson-starts-strong

"In Cushing's absence, Danny Clark and Xavier Adibi will compete to start on the strong side. Clark, signed after Cushing's suspension was announced, played for Houston in 2007 before moving on to the Giants, where he made 26 starts in two seasons. Adibi started five games as a rookie in 2008; in one such start, he notched 15 tackles in an impressive performance at Indianapolis. However, his role dwindled last season as Cushing took over on the strong side and Zac Diles moved to the weak side. Adibi provides a quicker alter native to the strong, experienced Clark as the Texans try to sort out how to replace the valuable Cushing."

It was my impression that the Sam had to read and react more than the will. What we know about Adibi is that he is a tremendous athlete. what we don't know is what is keeping him off the field. I can hazard a guess. And from my tree it looks as though they are setting Adibi up to fail. Did anyone's hearts break when Clark walked off into the sun set last time ? If Kubiak has his neck bowed, a team off wild horse hooked up to his head will not make him change his mind until the disaster is of biblical proportions. Adibi should go to the Will and Diles to the SAM.

IDEXAN
06-02-2010, 07:54 AM
“I promise you, we don't want to be a finesse group,” Kubiak said. “For our football team to function better and win a few more games, we have to get more physical and find a way to control the football, especially at the end of games. If we're going to be committed to the run, we have to find a way to get better.”
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7031949.html
&&
See this is just the kind of ambiguity from Kubiak that makes him a poor communicator. When you acquire FAs/Draft college Olinemen in the 290 range you are picking personel for your ZBS which is more dependant on finesse than power.

ChampionTexan
06-02-2010, 08:21 AM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/05/29/texans-cb-jackson-starts-strong

"In Cushing's absence, Danny Clark and Xavier Adibi will compete to start on the strong side. Clark, signed after Cushing's suspension was announced, played for Houston in 2007 before moving on to the Giants, where he made 26 starts in two seasons. Adibi started five games as a rookie in 2008; in one such start, he notched 15 tackles in an impressive performance at Indianapolis. However, his role dwindled last season as Cushing took over on the strong side and Zac Diles moved to the weak side. Adibi provides a quicker alter native to the strong, experienced Clark as the Texans try to sort out how to replace the valuable Cushing."

It was my impression that the Sam had to read and react more than the will. What we know about Adibi is that he is a tremendous athlete. what we don't know is what is keeping him off the field. I can hazard a guess. And from my tree it looks as though they are setting Adibi up to fail. Did anyone's hearts break when Clark walked off into the sun set last time ? If Kubiak has his neck bowed, a team off wild horse hooked up to his head will not make him change his mind until the disaster is of biblical proportions. Adibi should go to the Will and Diles to the SAM.

FWIW, I was listening to ND Kalu on 610 this past weekend, and it's his opinion that the Texans really want Adibi to beat out Clark for the week 1-4 starting position.

Regardless, I can't fault them for picking up someone like Clark in response to Cushing's suspension.

b0ng
08-07-2010, 05:09 PM

Does he have any?

I would say challenge/instant replay management, and playcalling sometimes. But the title of the thread says biggest flaw, and I think his challenges/T.O. management is probably his biggest flaw.

Dwade
08-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Kubiak doesn't seem like a good motivator. You look at one of the great coaches of all time like John Madden, he knew how to motivate his team. Kubiak just reminds me of a half-inflated balloon

TexanSam
08-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Kubiak doesn't seem like a good motivator. You look at one of the great coaches of all time like John Madden, he knew how to motivate his team. Kubiak just reminds me of a half-inflated balloon

This is the NFL not college or high school. It's the coach's job to coach the team not to motivate them. If the players aren't motivated enough to win that isn't the head coaches fault. I don't think I'd call Tony Dungy, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichek, or any other HC's motivational. The coach is there for the X's and O's.

Dwade
08-07-2010, 09:46 PM
This is the NFL not college or high school. It's the coach's job to coach the team not to motivate them. If the players aren't motivated enough to win that isn't the head coaches fault. I don't think I'd call Tony Dungy, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichek, or any other HC's motivational. The coach is there for the X's and O's.

True, very true. The thing is, I don't see Tony Dungy doing halfback passes with Joseph Addai in the red zone though...especially when you have a target like Andre Johnson to throw to.

I'm just not sold on Kubiak

The Pencil Neck
08-07-2010, 09:52 PM
True, very true. The thing is, I don't see Tony Dungy doing halfback passes with Joseph Addai in the red zone though...especially when you have a target like Andre Johnson to throw to.

I'm just not sold on Kubiak

You're letting your feelings toward Kubiak blind you. FWIW, Dungy ran a halfback pass with Addai and he was sacked for a loss of 3 yards. Addai had a second chance last year and got the TD throw.

JB
08-07-2010, 09:56 PM
You're letting your feelings toward Kubiak blind you. FWIW, Dungy ran a halfback pass with Addai and he was sacked for a loss of 3 yards. Addai had a second chance last year and got the TD throw.

Yep. The play call wasn't the problem. It was the execution. :choke:

Lucky
08-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Yep. The play call wasn't the problem. It was the execution. :choke:
I'm sorry guys, but that was a horrible play call. Down 2 scores in a must win is not the time to get cute. Or in this case, stupid.

JB
08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm sorry guys, but that was a horrible play call. Down 2 scores in a must win is not the time to get cute. Or in this case, stupid.

Ok. I don't want to re-hash this again. I will just have to agree to disagree and let it go. Not worth it anymore.

Lucky
08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't think I'd call Tony Dungy, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichek, or any other HC's motivational. The coach is there for the X's and O's.
Parcells was a motivational head coach. He surrounded himself with top football minds as assistants. His job was to push the buttons at the right time. And Parcells did that brilliantly. I would also say that Dungy was motivational, but he used a more positive attitude.

Yes, the coaches need to know their X's and O's. But, they also must be able to lead men. That's what separates a head coach from a good coordinator.

The Pencil Neck
08-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Parcells was a motivational head coach. He surrounded himself with top football minds as assistants. His job was to push the buttons at the right time. And Parcells did that brilliantly. I would also say that Dungy was motivational, but he used a more positive attitude.

Yes, the coaches need to know their X's and O's. But, they also must be able to lead men. That's what separates a head coach from a good coordinator.

And I think that Kubiak motivates his players, too. I don't think he does it in the Parcells way of being a jerk and asshole, I think he's more in the Dungy mold.

There have been a lot of times this team could have rolled over and died on Kubiak and it hasn't.

The Pencil Neck
08-07-2010, 10:13 PM

I don't agree at all.

Lucky
08-07-2010, 10:24 PM
And I think that Kubiak motivates his players, too.
That motivation has yet to manifest into anything tangible. They certainly have not overachieved the past 2 seasons. If it was Kubiak's motivational tactics that kept this team from sliding into the abyss last season, then I guess he used them one game too late.

JB
08-07-2010, 10:33 PM
That motivation has yet to manifest into anything tangible. They certainly have not overachieved the past 2 seasons. If it was Kubiak's motivational tactics that kept this team from sliding into the abyss last season, then I guess he used them one game too late.

And if our kicker misses another game tying fg or two, or the rb fumbles in the end zone again, will it be Kubiak's lack of motivational skills?

If they make the playoffs, will it be Kubiak's motivational skills that got them there?

Lucky
08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
And if our kicker misses another game tying fg or two, or the rb fumbles in the end zone again, will it be Kubiak's lack of motivational skills?
I was just referencing Pencil Neck's assertion that Kubiak's motivational skills kept the team from rolling over. I don't really believe that was the case. More so the soft schedule and the lack of pressure is what I believe allowed the Texans to go on their most recent season ending streak.

JB
08-07-2010, 10:48 PM
I was just referencing Pencil Neck's assertion that Kubiak's motivational skills kept the team from rolling over. I don't really believe that was the case. More so the soft schedule and the lack of pressure is what I believe allowed the Texans to go on their most recent season ending streak.

Ahh, ok. Schaub mentioned recently that after the four game losing streak, the team was hearing about Kubiak being on the hot seat. He said that motivated the team to finish with a 4 game winning streak.

Sluggo
08-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Unless we spend time inside the Texans' locker room I believe it is difficult to get a real read on what kind of motivator Kubiak is or isn't. One thing we do know is that his players seem to love him. When speculation started on him keeping his job or not I was impressed at how many of his players rallied around him.
He seems to take a lot of flak for that infamous Chris Brown halfback pass. I was always under the impression that was Kyle's call.

JB
08-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Unless we spend time inside the Texans' locker room I believe it is difficult to get a real read on what kind of motivator Kubiak is or isn't. One thing we do know is that his players seem to love him. When speculation started on him keeping his job or not I was impressed at how many of his players rallied around him.
He seems to take a lot of flak for that infamous Chris Brown halfback pass. I was always under the impression that was Kyle's call.

Agree with everything except the bolded. No plays are called without GK's approval. Haven't you noticed his Denny's menu and headset? The players say they practiced that play all week. Kubiak is the one that installed it in the game plan. Kyle may have called for it, but Kubiak had to approve it.

Sluggo
08-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Kyle may have called for it, but Kubiak had to approve it.

Fair point.

The Pencil Neck
08-07-2010, 11:38 PM

And I, of course, disagree.

Believe it or not, we had the same record when we pancaked the Seahawks. We were both trying to save our seasons. We won, they lost.

When we played the Dolphins, we were both fighting for our playoff lives. Most people expected the Dolphins to kill us in that game. We came out and killed them. Granted, we almost gave it away, but we didn't.

Last game of the season, when we had to win, we won.

Last game of the season, the Steelers had to win. They lost. Last game of the season, the Jaguars and Titans had to win. They lost.

A lot of teams that had to win the last game of the season, didn't and don't. But we did.

Now, I know you think Kubiak is holding this team back and that this team will only be mediocre as long as he's at the helm and I'm sure you're just going to say that we needed to win one more game to get into the playoffs and that Kubiak is not the man to take us to the promised land and that he should have started motivating this team sooner, but I don't buy any of that. So, we'll just have to agree to disagree about it. I think we've gone over all of this too much in the long offseason and I think most of us know where we stand on the matter.

Lucky
08-07-2010, 11:50 PM
Now, I know you think Kubiak is holding this team back and that this team will only be mediocre as long as he's at the helm and I'm sure you're just going to say that we needed to win one more game to get into the playoffs and that Kubiak is not the man to take us to the promised land and that he should have started motivating this team sooner...
I wasn't going to say that. All I'm saying is that he has yet to take the Texans to the playoffs. What will or won't happen is for speculation. And I'm not really ready to do that until I see this team in a couple of preseason games. But, the facts remain that the Texans have been mediocre over the past 2 seasons, and they still just needed one more win to get into the playoffs, and garner some postseason experience.

The Pencil Neck
08-08-2010, 01:08 AM
I wasn't going to say that. All I'm saying is that he has yet to take the Texans to the playoffs. What will or won't happen is for speculation. And I'm not really ready to do that until I see this team in a couple of preseason games. But, the facts remain that the Texans have been mediocre over the past 2 seasons, and they still just needed one more win to get into the playoffs, and garner some postseason experience.

To me, "mediocre" doesn't mean average. It means below average. I know people use it to mean "medium" but the word implies something substandard. And so, to me, saying that we're mediocre over the past 2 seasons is an outright lie because we haven't been substandard.

And, this is going to sound like a semantic quibble but I think it's very important: they didn't need 1 more win to get into the playoffs. Their record was good enough to get into the playoffs just the way it was. If one of the Bengals, Jets, or Ravens had lost 1 more game, we would have made it in with our record just as it is. The Ravens and Jets and the same record we had.

Obviously, we didn't get into the playoffs and if we had one more win, we would have gotten into the playoffs. So we came up short. BUT... the fact remains that our record was good enough to have gotten us into the playoffs last year.

That means that we were a playoff caliber team. We were good enough to be in the playoffs last year. Being good enough to be in the playoffs doesn't mean you're in them. Good teams, like the Patriots 2 years ago, sometimes don't make the playoffs. You can't tell me that an 11-5 team isn't playoff caliber.

I want us in the playoffs. I want us in the Super Bowl. But I consider the argument that Kubiak hasn't built a playoff caliber team to be wrong. I think we're going to be a better team this year than we were last year. I think we 're going to win 10 games, schedule be damned. But I don't know if we're going to win our division and I don't know if Kubiak is going to get us to the playoffs.

I mean, if 11-5 isn't good enough to get to the playoffs, it's theoretically possible for us to have a great team and not make it.

thunderkyss
08-08-2010, 10:41 AM

I agree with most of this. Coaches are like players, are like fans, are like whatever it is that you do. Different things work for different guys.

Jimmy Johnson was different from Bellichick, who's different from Billick, who's different from Gruden, so on and so forth. The trick is for that particular coach to know what he can and can't do, then put guys around him that fill the needs that he can't.

You've got an idea of what makes a good head coach, I've got an idea of what makes a good Head coach. Sluggo, JB, TPN, all most likely have different ideas as well.

Most people seem to agree that a play-off appearance is a sign of a good coach. We all know only a good head coach can get a team to the Super Bowl.

I think we'll all be in agreement pretty soon, on where Gary Kubiak stands as a head coach.

thunderkyss
08-08-2010, 11:12 AM
All I'm saying is that he has yet to take the Texans to the playoffs.

So, IF we had gotten to the play-offs, then you would believe that Kubiak is a good coach?

So, IF the Colts didn't roll over for the Jets last December, Kubiak could be considered a good coach?

:kitten:
Something just don't sound right to me. There must be a way of determining how good/bad a coach is independent of what other coaches are doing.

But, the facts remain that the Texans have been mediocre over the past 2 seasons, and they still just needed one more win to get into the playoffs, and garner some postseason experience.

You know, when your team isn't doing much (mediocre) people don't recognize what little talent may be on your team. Guys like Andre Johnson can go unnoticed.

The last two years, ain't nobody going unnoticed on this team.