PDA

View Full Version : Dominique Barber... to start!!

thunderkyss
05-31-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't know this guy, but I liked most everything he said.

He mentioned Barber was in an open competition (http://bleacherreport.com/houston-texans) with Wilson for the starting FS spot. So for all you guys, who said Barber looked good at the end of the season... Good lookin out.

If you make it through the defensive depth chart, check out the next slide show. It's worth it.

:trophy:

Line_Producer
05-31-2010, 10:39 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/313977-ten-fealress-texans-related-predictions-for-the-next-decade

" The festivities will conclude as Bob McNair unveils a new statue of a simple bronze middle finger perpetually pointed at Nashville."

Rad with a side of awesome.

Lucky
05-31-2010, 10:40 AM
tk, this is just an internet blogger who put this up. You could have posted a depth chart and it would have equal credence. I would give yours more consideration, actually. Earl Mitchell as the starter over Cody? Really? Note to the author, it's Glover Quin (with a single "n").

Fourth-year veteran Amobi Okoye had a very solid rookie year. But his performance has been austere over the last two seasons.Austere? Whatever.

Malloy
05-31-2010, 10:45 AM
I liked it until page8 where some Jesus stuff turned up... :(

Line_Producer
05-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Austere? Whatever.

Well, I wouldn't be at odds with 'austere'. I believe he was trying to say that Okoye's game is simple and without an excess of talent. Not quite labeling him bust, merely saying that he needs to work on his skills.

-wil

thunderkyss
05-31-2010, 12:31 PM
tk, this is just an internet blogger who put this up. You could have posted a depth chart and it would have equal credence. I would give yours more consideration, actually. Earl Mitchell as the starter over Cody? Really? Note to the author, it's Glover Quin (with a single "n").

Austere? Whatever.

Understood. We've had the talk about what Mitchell's role would be. I personally believe he will take Smith's spot in the DT rotation, allowing us to keep Smith fresh on the outside.

But I don't recall anyone mentioning Barber competing for the starter spot, and I'm wondering where he got that from. I think most of us are sure Eugene will be the starter, until he gets hurt. As it should be.

Did he pull that out of his rump? Has he been to OTAs? Did Gary say something we missed?

Or is this his rationalization of why we didn't grab a FS in the draft?

Porky
05-31-2010, 10:30 PM
If Barber starts, we are done. That pretty much covers it. :backsout:

JB
05-31-2010, 10:48 PM
If Barber starts, we are done. That pretty much covers it. :backsout:

Really? Ya think if the coaches deem him a better option than Wilson then they know less about football and players than you?

Personally, I think if Barber shows enough to start it makes us a better team. I gotta trust Gibbs to put the best people out there to get the job done.

And no, I don't think Kubiak will start Barber over Wilson unless its the best move for the team.

ArlingtonTexan
05-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Really? Ya think if the coaches deem him a better option than Wilson then they know less about football and players than you?

Personally, I think if Barber shows enough to start it makes us a better team. I gotta trust Gibbs to put the best people out there to get the job done.

And no, I don't think Kubiak will start Barber over Wilson unless its the best move for the team.

When Barber returned to the starting line-up over the last half of the season were there situations where we saw the Texans defense have issues because of FS play?

I know the safety play early in the year was awful, but I don't remeber the post wilson injury FS play being the same junk. Help someone.

JB
05-31-2010, 11:22 PM
When Barber returned to the starting line-up over the last half of the season were there situations where we saw the Texans defense have issues because of FS play?

I know the safety play early in the year was awful, but I don't remeber the post wilson injury FS play being the same junk. Help someone.

I do not recall our S play being a problem after Wilson went down for the second time.

Maddict5
06-01-2010, 12:17 AM

no when barber came back after his benching he played well. made some nice plays & big hits. iirc he got injured round halftime in the miami game & cant remmeber who replaced him- prob busing and we got a little torched in the second half but survived (with the help of a holding call that nullified a ginn bomb td)

then we had brian russell for the pats game which we also somehow survived with

GuerillaBlack
06-01-2010, 03:35 AM

Agreed. Makes our starting unit younger, too .

BigBull17
06-01-2010, 09:17 AM

I think Barber played fine with Pollard when he played last season. He just struggled with Busing/C.C Brown/whatever garbage we threw nest to him at Saftey. I don't think him starting is end of days.

TimeKiller
06-01-2010, 10:34 AM
then we had brian russell for the pats game which we also somehow survived with

:facepalm:

THAT'S the reason why we needed to draft a friggin free safety....

I think Barber played fine with Pollard when he played last season. He just struggled with Busing/C.C Brown/whatever garbage we threw nest to him at Saftey. I don't think him starting is end of days.

I don't think him starting is the beginning of days either...

ubecool454
06-01-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't know this guy, but I liked most everything he said.

He mentioned Barber was in an open competition (http://bleacherreport.com/houston-texans) with Wilson for the starting FS spot. So for all you guys, who said Barber looked good at the end of the season... Good lookin out.

If you make it through the defensive depth chart, check out the next slide show. It's worth it.

:trophy:

I like Wilson as the starter ...he is still better than Barber.

BigBull17
06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
:facepalm:

THAT'S the reason why we needed to draft a friggin free safety....

I don't think him starting is the beginning of days either...

Didn't say that. Just said it could be alot worse. CC Brown anyone?

El Tejano
06-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I like Wilson as the starter ...he is still better than Barber.

I just remember all the big running plays we were giving up when Barber was the starter. Can anyone tell me if that changed when Pollard started lining up next to him out there?

BullNation4Life
06-01-2010, 11:42 AM
I just remember all the big running plays we were giving up when Barber was the starter. Can anyone tell me if that changed when Pollard started lining up next to him out there?

Yes and the big run plays were Barber and Busing, mainly Busing. Barber did, however, forget to cover Chris Johnson, in Tennessee, when he split out and he went like 60+ yards untouched.

Where the hell is Nolan in all this?

badboy
06-01-2010, 12:18 PM
I liked it until page8 where some Jesus stuff turned up... :(I constantly call on Jesus when watching the Texans play.

TimeKiller
06-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Exactly where he should be. Buried under pitiful depth. He's a 2nd year/No experience guy because of an injury. Hard to have a worse start than that.

BigBull17
06-01-2010, 12:25 PM
I constantly call on Jesus when watching the Texans play.

I wish NFL was Saturday afternoon. I feel so bad swearing so much on a Sunday.

badboy
06-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Although Barber did look better at the end of the season, I saw nothing to say he will beat out Wilson. I did not see Barber giving much help if any to Dunta either. I see Barber as more of attack the line type safety as I do our new CB Jackson. If I am correct, we may have a few TDs scored on one side of the field this season.

badboy
06-01-2010, 12:28 PM
I wish NFL was Saturday afternoon. I feel so bad swearing so much on a Sunday.Begging and pleading is okay on Sundays. As often as I kick things around my apartment, I should try out.

V3rm0nt3r
06-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes and the big run plays were Barber and Busing, mainly Busing. Barber did, however, forget to cover Chris Johnson, in Tennessee, when he split out and he went like 60+ yards untouched.

That's when he got benched right? Busing finished the game and did a halfway decent job if I'm remembering correctly. Nolan's probably the fourth S on the depth chart. My guess is that it turns into our tackle situation is every year with two starters and two guys behind that can play either strong or free at around the same level.

Again just my best guess.

Thorn
06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Speaking of Barber......I need a haircut.

badboy
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Speaking of Barber......I need a haircut.Nah just keep the helmut on.

BigBull17
06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Begging and pleading is okay on Sundays. As often as I kick things around my apartment, I should try out.

I have a friend who is a former navy man, and he blushes with how much I cuss during games.

badboy
06-01-2010, 04:49 PM
I have a friend who is a former navy man, and he blushes with how much I cuss during games.Just think, if you could quit cussing, you'd be perfect like me and I could let you into my little club.:bubbles:

Goldensilence
06-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Exactly where he should be. Buried under pitiful depth. He's a 2nd year/No experience guy because of an injury. Hard to have a worse start than that.

Yep. Just another flyer the FO and coaching staff took late. Nothing really to address the spot except a late gamble.

Although Barber did look better at the end of the season, I saw nothing to say he will beat out Wilson. I did not see Barber giving much help if any to Dunta either. I see Barber as more of attack the line type safety as I do our new CB Jackson. If I am correct, we may have a few TDs scored on one side of the field this season.

I think Pollard's play overshadowed a lot of his flaws and the defense probably had to adjust to Barber's lack of top end speed and ball skills. Probably played him closer to the line than your regular FS and didn't ask him to assist a whole lot in coverage.

IMO I think Barber's skillset is better suited to SS, but looks like the staff might be willing to give him a shot at FS. I doubt he beats out a healthy Wilson.

I hate our FS situation.

barrett
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
For what it's worth, I asked Dominique Barber directly (via twitter (http://twitter.com/34dombarber)) if he was running with the 1's and he said Na man still wrking.. Thanks though.

JB
06-02-2010, 07:06 PM
For what it's worth, I asked Dominique Barber directly (via twitter (http://twitter.com/34dombarber)) if he was running with the 1's and he said

I thought that was you...