PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Kasey Studdard still in the Texans' long-term plans @ LG ?

IDEXAN
05-28-2010, 10:14 AM
But Kubiak would like the interior offensive line to be better, too. Only tackles Duane Brown and Eric Winston seem to be definite starters. Kubiak is hoping for starters to emerge at the other three spots.

“Kasey’s biggest issues have probably been more a little bit mental than ever about his effort and what
he does and getting the
whole pro game down and
all of the issues he deals with on a regular basis,” Kubiak said. “He’s improved in that area.”
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7026018.html
&&
Everybody appreciates Studdards hustle and toughness, but he's always been anything but a fit for the Texans ZB system which calls for a quick-footed, athletic type like Wade Smith, signed by the Texans for some real good money this past offseason, and their 6th round Draft pick this year, CSUs Shelly Smith. And Studdard is not considered an athletic type.
Like I say, don't mean to put Studdard down here, but he's just not a fit and especially at LG which is generally considered a more challenging position that RG in terms of pure athleticism.

awtysst
05-28-2010, 10:20 AM
But Kubiak would like the interior offensive line to be better, too. Only tackles Duane Brown and Eric Winston seem to be definite starters. Kubiak is hoping for starters to emerge at the other three spots.

“Kasey’s biggest issues have probably been more a little bit mental than ever about his effort and what
he does and getting the
whole pro game down and
all of the issues he deals with on a regular basis,” Kubiak said. “He’s improved in that area.”
&&
Everybody appreciates Studdards hustle and toughness, but he's always been anything but a fit for the Texans ZB system which calls for a quick-footed, athletic type like Wade Smith, signed by the Texans for some real good money this past offseason, and their 6th round Draft pick this year, CSUs Shelly Smith. And Studdard is not considered an athletic type.
Like I say, don't mean to put Studdard down here, but he's just not a fit and especially at LG which is generally considered a more challenging position that RG in terms of pure athleticism.

I think(at least i hope) that what he is doing his propping up Studdard's ego. He saw the Texans sign a OG/OC and draft another one. So its importnt to keep him thinking positive. The guy was last year's starter by default and he may need to come in again this year due to injury. I hope he goes into the competition doing his best, improves his game, and is beaten out by another player.

Goldensilence
05-28-2010, 10:25 AM

he does and getting the
whole pro game down and
&&

I agree in that it seems like Studdard is better suited for a look at RG instead of left. What's going to be interesting is where Smith ends up starting at or seeing the most reps.

I heard earlier he was getting a decent amount of reps at center.

threetoedpete
05-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Because he can pass protect and is a demon in the open field on his one on one blocks in the second level ? We may not be able to push for a third and short. However what is beyond doubt after 2009 ,is we have the personnel to run screens.

badboy
05-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I have never thought that Studdard is the answer but Gary is sold on his "fighter" mentality. He has an NFL check for 3 years and that says something.

thunderkyss
05-31-2010, 09:30 AM

I see some "good" theories... but this isn't the first time we've wondered what is so&so doing out there, or "surely we've got somebody better" out there...

I'm thinking maybe we need to forget what we think we know about this game, and what a ZBS really needs, and who fits what... listen to what Gary says, go back, watch, and see if we can figure out he means.

beerlover
05-31-2010, 10:00 AM
I also wonder about the differences between Gibbs & Dennison? surely there are going to be some tweeks here & there one of which could very well be Studdard. bottom line is he provides much needed depth at low cost, toughness & seems like he was born into the Denver/Kubiak system.

IDEXAN
05-31-2010, 10:33 AM
I see some "good" theories... but this isn't the first time we've wondered what is so&so doing out there, or "surely we've got somebody better" out there...

I'm thinking maybe we need to forget what we think we know about this game, and what a ZBS really needs, and who fits what... listen to what Gary says, go back, watch, and see if we can figure out he means.
Frankly I have a hard time undertanding what Gary Kubiak is trying to say sometimes ? I'm hoping the new OC might be more articulate in explaining the system he's going to be running and what type of player it calls for,
something beyond, "he's a good kid who hustles, trys hard on every play".

SheTexan
05-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Studdard is still around because Kubiak and Kasey's dad are good friends. Kubes is LOYAL to a fault to his pals.

thunderkyss
05-31-2010, 11:40 AM
Studdard is still around because Kubiak and Kasey's dad are good friends. Kubes is LOYAL to a fault to his pals.

So you see absolutely nothing positive in his game?

IDEXAN
05-31-2010, 12:08 PM
So you see absolutely nothing positive in his game?
"he's a good kid who hustles, trys hard on every play".

thunderkyss
05-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Because he can pass protect and is a demon in the open field on his one on one blocks in the second level ? We may not be able to push for a third and short. However what is beyond doubt after 2009 ,is we have the personnel to run screens.

I tend to believe there is some truth here. I don't know if I would characterize him as "a demon" but he is more than adequate. I can understand an upgrade, but to flat out not see why the coach puts him out there... or to believe nepotism is the only reason... I just don't get.

TimeKiller
05-31-2010, 05:37 PM
um....

Studdard can pass protect at an adequate level. That's why he's here. To look at anything in his run blocking and say something positive is a lie. He's bad in that area, no two ways about it. However, in a pinch (like...oh...say....last year after Pitts' Ironman streak ended) he can provide the one thing an OL for this team MUST be able to do and that's pass protect a dynamite QB. He's depth in the NFL due to lack of size, strength and apparently smarts. Nobody questions the hustle, just everything else.

Maddict5
05-31-2010, 06:25 PM
um....

Studdard can pass protect at an adequate level. That's why he's here. To look at anything in his run blocking and say something positive is a lie. He's bad in that area, no two ways about it. However, in a pinch (like...oh...say....last year after Pitts' Ironman streak ended) he can provide the one thing an OL for this team MUST be able to do and that's pass protect a dynamite QB. He's depth in the NFL due to lack of size, strength and apparently smarts. Nobody questions the hustle, just everything else.

granted it was his first game but he nearly got matt killed in the jets game. i like studdard hustle like everyone else but will be concerned if hes still starting on opening day (unless its injury related)

b0ng
05-31-2010, 08:41 PM
granted it was his first game but he nearly got matt killed in the jets game. i like studdard hustle like everyone else but will be concerned if hes still starting on opening day (unless its injury related)

I think you are going to be concerned then.

drs23
05-31-2010, 08:59 PM
I think you are going to be concerned then.

I'm not so quick to be concerned. GK has consistently said the best five would start . It's really early and he's said every player is "competing". They've got a lot of bodies to look at. The little I can gather from the present OTAs they're working different guys at different spots. I have no doubt when the first whistle blows the best five will be there and Studdard will be a backup with a years experience.

b0ng
05-31-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm not so quick to be concerned. GK has consistently said the best five would start . It's really early and he's said every player is "competing". They've got a lot of bodies to look at. The little I can gather from the present OTAs they're working different guys at different spots. I have no doubt when the first whistle blows the best five will be there and Studdard will be a backup with a years experience.

I really think Kubiak is going to place an extremely high value on Kasey's starting experience from last year. Really the only possible replacements are people who weren't on the team last year.

TimeKiller
06-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I really think Kubiak is going to place an extremely high value on Kasey's starting experience from last year. Really the only possible replacements are people who weren't on the team last year.

Wade Smith, Brisiel, Caldwell all have the same or more experience than Studdard. They also have definitely MORE in the category of skills. Geez, even Myers is better than Studdard. A guy who played because of injury who is being given a fair shake because he ended the season as the starter is probably not gonna fend off 4 other guys for 3 spots. Especially not if the drafted Smith impresses.

infantrycak
06-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Studdard didn't play the Jets game, Pitts did. Studdard started after Pitts went down in week 2.

Rey
06-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Studdard is nasty. He brings a relentless intensity to the game. He's a vet and he's been in the system for a good amount of time now. He may not be the most athletically inclined, but he was a big part of an offense that put up some good passing yards last season.

Minus the fumbles, Moats as well as Foster ran pretty damn good behind the O-line. Brown couldn't cut it and Slaton wasn't himself. Lets get a back in the game that can get something done, and I think he will be a big part in an offense that puts up some good running numbers.

Studdard is not a bad player, IMO of course. He should know the system pretty well, He has game action experience, He's tough, nasty, fights Bernard Pollard in practice (http://sportsblog.abc13.com/2010/05/pollard-just-right.html)...I'll roll with that...

BullNation4Life
06-01-2010, 10:30 AM

That would be true, had Studdard played against the Jets...

Opps never mind I see Cak already addressed that. If you are gonna gripe about someone, let's be sure he was the one on the field at the time. Now if you want to gripe at the entire O line for the Jets game, man do right ahead and deservingly so...

BullNation4Life
06-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I also wonder about the differences between Gibbs & Dennison?[/B[B]] surely there are going to be some tweeks here & there one of which could very well be Studdard. bottom line is he provides much needed depth at low cost, toughness & seems like he was born into the Denver/Kubiak system.

Dennison runs a bit of both power and ZBS. He likes big centers, 300 lbs plus, from what I have read about him LOVES Smith a Center, and likes to run between the tackles as well. We should see a vast improvement with the running game this year if Dennison has any say so on who starts the middle 3 on the O-line.

b0ng
06-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Timekiller: Wade Smith does not have more experience in Kubiak's system than Studdard, he hasn't played a down for us yet. Caldwell is penciled in as the starting RG so yeah, and Briesel is the guy who has the best shot of beating him out.

However, us thinking Studdard stinks does not mean the coaching staff believes the same thing (right or wrong as they may be). After Briesel you have White (who appears to be a career backup) and then a guy named Shelly Smith. Unless a player has a huge training camp you can put money on Kubiak going with the guy who started at LG for most of the year last year.

thunderkyss
06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
At least it appears Kubiak respects Dennison, so they'll be some collaborting going on there, about who will play on the OL. If Studdard is in, I would have to believe Dennison signed off on it. If he's not, no skin off my back.

One way or the other, I'm not worried about our OL for 2010. Whether Studdard, Meyers, Brisiel, Smith, or Caldwell ends up being the back-up, I think we'll do well.