PDA

View Full Version : Fred Bennet Headed For The Outhouse?

gary
05-26-2010, 07:09 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/7022442.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Fspfbtxfron t+%28HoustonChronicle.com+--+Houston+Texans+Football%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

drs23
05-26-2010, 07:28 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/7022442.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Fspfbtxfron t+%28HoustonChronicle.com+--+Houston+Texans+Football%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Gary,

IIRC Soloman said " moved from the doghouse to the outhouse to just plain out."

Seems as I've heard that bandied about here. The look on his face says to me:

"I'm ********d"

CloakNNNdagger
05-26-2010, 07:39 PM
Can anyone say Petey? Last year, Bennet had a real problem staying up with receivers. He's the best thing that ever happened to Dunta. When both were out there together, Bennet would be the opposing QB's favorite "target".............his inability to cover or wrap up making Dunta's questionable "performance" stellar by contrast........by default.

b0ng
05-26-2010, 07:41 PM
If Fred can't improve his game significantly I don't see how this team is going to keep him. He was pretty much a liability on the field in 2008 and lost his job to rookies in 2009.

There was a great post that outlined why he looked good in 2007 and looked like booty for the rest of the time, I'll dig it up real quick.

EDIT: http://www.battleredblog.com/2010/5/26/1488157/comcast-presents-what-happened-to#

What happened? Emergency shemes after Dunta's injury...

… masked Bennett’s inability to effectively play man coverage.

I remember being excited the day in 07 when it was announced that we would be starting Fred Bennett opposite Dunta Robinson. I appreciated the the novelty of having 23 at one corner and 32 at the other, and the fact that they were both South Carolina alumni. Granted, it was only Oakland, but the first several defensive series sent my hopes soaring… only to come crashing down with an over-eager, tragic accident at the hands of Earl Cochran.

Then, Bennett shifted over to number one, and looked good doing it. Why?

When Robinson went down, we’d already acknowledge we had no good corners on the team aside from him and Bennett. The prospect of starting raw rookie Bennett next to DeMarcus Faggins was a tough pill to swallow for Richard Smith. To cover for the obvious flaws in both Faggins’ and Bennett’s game, the defense switched to a deep cover-3 zone shell BASE. We essentially played Bennett as a 3rd safety. We hardly engaged in man-coverage, and this masked the fact that Bennett cannot flip his hips. He just can’t. He looked good as what was basically a safety, but this hid the fact from the average fan that he was never asked to play in real coverage as a rookie.

That’s what happened.

I think Bennett would have made a wonderful, cheaper option as a long-term solution at SS. He’s excellent against the run and excels in deep zones, but the coaching staff, for all its premium on versatility, never seemed even remotely interested in trying him there, and that’s why he’s not going to make this team. He can’t play corner—he lacks the footwork and the hips for it, but I think he’ll get picked up somewhere else, and if its by a savvy DC, he’ll be a nice back-up at SS and a respectable spot-starter.

I find that to be some decent reasoning for what was happening.

Fox
05-26-2010, 08:15 PM
I find that to be some decent reasoning for what was happening.

It all sounds good except for the part about Bennett being good against the run and a respectable spot-starting SS. Not only can Bennett not cover, he can't tackle. I don't see SS in his future. The rest sounded plausible to me.

Hagar
05-26-2010, 08:26 PM
One man's garbage is another man's treasure. Bennett may be better suited for another team defense. Look at Pollard, KC released him and he's been a gold mine for us.

I admit I had high hopes for Bennett after his first season.

gary
05-26-2010, 08:28 PM
I do not see him making the team.

V3rm0nt3r
05-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Wasn't there speculation that, after Smithiak passed on any and all FS's in this years draft, that Kubiak might try a corner there at some point in training camp if Barber and Nolan don't pan out?

From b0ng's article and Fox's added insight I see this as the best position for him. It'll keep him from having to flip his hips and playing behind DeMeco and Cush with Pollard next to him will mask his tackling troubles at least in run support.

Just food for thought.

CloakNNNdagger
05-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Wasn't there speculation that, after Smithiak passed on any and all FS's in this years draft, that Kubiak might try a corner there at some point in training camp if Barber and Nolan don't pan out?

From b0ng's article and Fox's added insight I see this as the best position for him. It'll keep him from having to flip his hips and playing behind DeMeco and Cush with Pollard next to him will mask his tackling troubles at least in run support.

Just food for thought.

Do you really want a player with such questionable wrap up abilities to be that last man on the island.........protecting the island?

TimeKiller
05-27-2010, 07:43 AM
If the island is surrounded by the Texans Navy I wouldn't feel too worried. We got the battle ships too afford Bennett's bad tackling if it means he is making positive strides in coverage as a FS. He could hold a few more lbs. too. I'll definitely be looking for either him or Molden or McMannis at FS because I think Wilson is running out of time as a bandaid and Barber...well...Busing...geez....um....Nolan? No at least we've seen that Bennett can hold on to a pick when it falls out of the sky into his lap.

BigBull17
05-27-2010, 07:44 AM
If the island is surrounded by the Texans Navy I wouldn't feel too worried. We got the battle ships too afford Bennett's bad tackling if it means he is making positive strides in coverage as a FS. He could hold a few more lbs. too. I'll definitely be looking for either him or Molden or McMannis at FS because I think Wilson is running out of time as a bandaid and Barber...well...Busing...geez....um....Nolan? No at least we've seen that Bennett can hold on to a pick when it falls out of the sky into his lap.

True, but the powers that be don't like to convert people. Don't know why, they just dont. I would try him out at FS. I would try everybody there not named Kareem Jackson.

Blake
05-27-2010, 07:58 AM
So Fred's headed for the outhose? He gotta take a dump or something?

CloakNNNdagger
05-27-2010, 08:10 AM

When you are the last defender before getting to the goal line, the only thing that the Texans Navy, Army and Marines will only be able to do is CHEER Bennet to make the tackle. I take very little comfort in that type of "support."

gtexan02
05-27-2010, 08:17 AM
The thing that concerns me the most in this article is the following:

“Everybody else might call it a disappointing year, but I won't call it a disappointing year. Because to me, I went out there and did my job,” Bennett said. “I did everything they asked, everything the right way. Why things happened as they did, I don't know. You have to ask the coaches. I don't understand and don't know why.

Mr. White
05-27-2010, 08:35 AM
The best thing that ever happened to Fred Bennett was Will Demps.

After Demps was out, Bennett became a liability all of a sudden.

BullNation4Life
05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
True, but the powers that be don't like to convert people. Don't know why, they just dont. I would try him out at FS. I would try everybody there not named Kareem Jackson.

and yet Kubiak is always shifting O-lineman and D-lineman around, that is odd that they would do that but not a CB to Safety. You would think that a CB could transfer to Safety pretty easy, especially if he has some coverage skill and can hit.

I always thought Bennett would make a great FS but I guess they know more?

Goldensilence
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM

I said this too when they didn't draft a FS or give any of the possible safety FA a look this off-season, they're likely to try and shift one of the bubble CBs over to one of the safety spots.

Looks like the extent of their plan at FS goes something like pray Wilson can make it through the season healthy and if not...well ****.

BullNation4Life
05-27-2010, 10:19 AM
I said this too when they didn't draft a FS or give any of the possible safety FA a look this off-season, they're likely to try and shift one of the bubble CBs over to one of the safety spots.

Looks like the extent of their plan at FS goes something like pray Wilson can make it through the season healthy and if not...well ****.

If Moulden could stay healthy, I think he would fit nice at FS...

steelbtexan
05-27-2010, 10:28 AM

This will be another excuse for why the Texans didn't make the playoffs if Wilson gets hurt.

Kubes will be like, gosh darn it if we wouldn't have had injuries in the secondary we would have made the playoffs.

I'm not buying the excuses.

TimeKiller
05-27-2010, 10:32 AM

Yeah, Kubiak constantly refers to him as a possible starter and a guy who has the skills if/when healthy and that's usually talking about him as a CB. For a guy his size, with his speed and he's always seemed like a capable tackler...on a team with little FS help...and lots of CB depth...

How ridiculous is it that they don't even make the attempt? They draft these CBs who fit a very specific CB/S tweener mold (except McCain who was drafted for his speed) and let them rot as depth not even throwing out a word in OTA's about getting creative.

BigBull17
05-27-2010, 10:33 AM
and yet Kubiak is always shifting O-lineman and D-lineman around, that is odd that they would do that but not a CB to Safety. You would think that a CB could transfer to Safety pretty easy, especially if he has some coverage skill and can hit.

I always thought Bennett would make a great FS but I guess they know more?

I know. Alot of our DE's can play situational DT. Our C/G's are interchangeable. I don't get why you c ant try a failing CB at FS. Drives me bat **** crazy.

ubecool454
05-27-2010, 11:56 AM
I think Fred would be a better FS than cornerback. I like Fred and I hope they trade him so he can get a fresh start. He is still young and I don't know his relationship with Gibbs but sometimes they get in the doghouse with one team...get traded or picked up and move to the penthouse and I hope thats what happens with Fred. I think he is a better DB than Reeves and the always hurt Molden. Molden is another one that may make a better FS than CB. Good luck Fred just play with a attitude and keep on plugging. Maybe the coaches are just sending him a message by giving him less reps....trying to light a fire under him.

BigBull17
05-27-2010, 11:59 AM
I think Fred would be a better FS than cornerback. I like Fred and I hope they trade him so he can get a fresh start. He is still young and I don't know his relationship with Gibbs but sometimes they get in the doghouse with one team...get traded or picked up and move to the penthouse and I hope thats what happens with Fred. I think he is a better DB than Reeves and the always hurt Molden. Molden is another one that may make a better FS than CB. Good luck Fred just play with a attitude and keep on plugging. Maybe the coaches are just sending him a message by giving him less reps....trying to light a fire under him.

I think with the exception of turning his damn head that Reeves is our best CB. Think he was the year befor last as well. Didn't play that good last year, but I do think he is under-rated.

ubecool454
05-27-2010, 12:10 PM
I think with the exception of turning his damn head that Reeves is our best CB. Think he was the year befor last as well. Didn't play that good last year, but I do think he is under-rated.

I wouldn't go that far as to say he is the best but I can understand the coaches not giving Bennett or Reeves the reps because they have to take a good look at the youngsters to see what they got.

Goldensilence
05-27-2010, 12:33 PM

Molden is who I would target. But , at this point it looks like Bennett is on the ropes and about to get knocked out. I figure what could hurt seeing him get some reps at the spot?

This will be another excuse for why the Texans didn't make the playoffs if Wilson gets hurt.

Kubes will be like, gosh darn it if we wouldn't have had injuries in the secondary we would have made the playoffs.

I'm not buying the excuses.

Wilson getting injuried worries me, but not nearly as much as Pollard. Last year he was the most dynamic player in our secondary and he's excellent in cleaning up the run. We're really lucky he landed in our laps.

With him in the lineup I think we can afford to trot out Barber, Nolan, or hopefully one of the UDFA rookie safeties can prove they are worthy of a roster spot.

If Pollard goes down this secondary is going to be in big trouble.

Yeah, Kubiak constantly refers to him as a possible starter and a guy who has the skills if/when healthy and that's usually talking about him as a CB. For a guy his size, with his speed and he's always seemed like a capable tackler...on a team with little FS help...and lots of CB depth...

How ridiculous is it that they don't even make the attempt? They draft these CBs who fit a very specific CB/S tweener mold (except McCain who was drafted for his speed) and let them rot as depth not even throwing out a word in OTA's about getting creative.

Molden has seemed like a capable tackler as a ST guy so would think that's translate well to starting. PRoblem is his health and if he can leapfrog guys to get into the rotation. If not Why not give him a shot at FS?

I just think its crazy the way this team operates its secondary as a whole. Gibbs worked well with young guys in KC, let's hope he can get these young QBs ready. They're going to be tested early and often.

beerlover
05-27-2010, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't go that far as to say he is the best but I can understand the coaches not giving Bennett or Reeves the reps because they have to take a good look at the youngsters to see what they got.

you have a good sense about things. people love to tear down players even their own. the facts are only 53 roster spots are available, Texans finally have something called depth & a coaching staff in order to maximize its own talent. if Fred Bennet doesn't make the team its not for lack of effort its just that others have better skill sets, looser hips, quicker feet, better technique plus expereince playing multiple positions/systems. guess one can never say its too late to start a fresh move to a new position but you have to transition effortlessly against NFL talent.

Goldensilence
05-27-2010, 01:31 PM
you have a good sense about things. people love to tear down players even their own. the facts are only 53 roster spots are available, Texans finally have something called depth & a coaching staff in order to maximize its own talent. if Fred Bennet doesn't make the team its not for lack of effort its just that others have better skill sets, looser hips, quicker feet, better technique plus expereince playing multiple positions/systems. guess one can never say its too late to start a fresh move to a new position but you have to transition effortlessly against NFL talent.

You're acting as if Bennett is getting the P. Buchannon or Petey Faggins treatment in this thread.

Fact is his reps have been diminished and even before drafting Jackson and McMannis there was plenty of speculation the guy was going to be on the bubble of making the roster. Him not getting reps doesn't help ease that speculation much.

Most of us had high hopes after Bennett had a real solid rookie campaign and since has dropped off slowly. This thread has offered some explanations for that that are viable and reasonable instead of "he sucks".

Now a fair amount of people are saying well if he's on the bubble and we like the way our young talent looks at CB. Why not give him an opportunity to make the roster at FS? Obviously not the starting role, but i mean can you expect much more from Nolan who spent last year on IR or a few UDFA rooks?

Looks to me like we're trying to give him every opportunity to make the roster.

Like you pointed out in the schedule thread though, some people people come into a thread with their own agendas.

Fox
05-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Now a fair amount of people are saying well if he's on the bubble and we like the way our young talent looks at CB. Why not give him an opportunity to make the roster at FS? Obviously not the starting role, but i mean can you expect much more from Nolan who spent last year on IR or a few UDFA rooks?

The FS idea is a possibility but, as CnD alluded to, I just don't trust him being the last guy between the runner and pay dirt. The last couple seasons he's looked horrible trying to make tackles in space, and he's made some of the weakest looking failed arm tackles I've seen from a Texan. Not to mention he has a horrible time recovering once he bites on a juke. He looks like a long strider to me, ie. it takes him a few steps more to get up to speed. I can see his ball-hawk skills while facing the LOS being an asset, but my thoughts on his inability to make TD saving tackles make it a moot point in my mind. I also admit I saw big things for him after his rookie season, but I think he's a special teamer or roster casualty at this point.

gary
05-27-2010, 07:39 PM
There were high hopes for Nolan last season before he broke his leg in the preseason.

wagonhed
05-28-2010, 01:09 PM
“Everybody else might call it a disappointing year, but I won't call it a disappointing year. Because to me, I went out there and did my job,” Bennett said. “I did everything they asked, everything the right way. Why things happened as they did, I don't know. You have to ask the coaches. I don't understand and don't know why.

Are you freaking serious?

threetoedpete
06-02-2010, 07:55 AM

Well Philly just lost a front line FS to a ruptured Achilles. Can't have too many draft picks.

Busing is hampered by a lack of reps. He gets it. But he doesn't believe what his lying eyes are telling him. One miss step in this league and you are beat. I don't think Busing is stupid. I think he gets grid lock trying to figure things out. And he doesn't have the elite speed to cover for the time he spends "figuring". I don't know if they've given up on Busing or not ?

ChampionTexan
06-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Well Philly just lost a front line FS to a ruptured Achilles. Can't have too many draft picks.

Busing is hampered by a lack of reps. He gets it. But he doesn't believe what his lying eyes are telling him. One miss step in this league and you are beat. I don't think Busing is stupid. I think he gets grid lock trying to figure things out. And he doesn't have the elite speed to cover for the time he spends "figuring". I don't know if they've given up on Busing or not ?

Given that he is one of the only RFA's that the Texans chose not to tender (meaning he is now an UFA), I'd say there's a fair to middlin' chance they have.

TimeKiller
06-02-2010, 10:35 AM
There were high hopes for Nolan last season before he broke his leg in the preseason.

Hand? I think Diles is the one who broke the leg....

I think he should try LBer cuz his coverage is pretty weak, probably due to what you say here: just thinking and not reacting. He always seemed like a player when it was just "run down the field and tackle the punt returner"