PDA

View Full Version : No Training Camp for OD, Hill

m5kwatts
05-26-2010, 02:31 PM
If I had to go to one place thats going to be the sticking point throughout camp as we work, and Im going to have to work around it, its our tight end position, because O.D. and Anthony Hill will not be participating in training camp, coach Gary Kubiak said after the Texans' OTA practice on Wednesday. You go carrying six tight ends when you get through training camp, youve got other problems at other spots, so weve got some work to do from that standpoint.

"Hes (OD) way ahead of schedule, hes doing very well, but its been thought of all the time that if we get to camp that he would do some possible work in seven-on-seven, non-contact type of stuff but (we would) not throw him right back into full banging, so to speak," Kubiak said. "So theres going to be some maneuvering to do, and Anthony realistically probably wont be ready until the beginning of the season.

The other 4 tight ends: Dreessen, Casey, Garrett, Gaines

We all knew that the reason they signed Gaines and drafted Garrett was to have camp bodies knowing OD and Hill wouldn't be there. I'm shocked Kubes said Hill won't be ready until the season. I think he's headed for the practice squad or the unemployment line. OD's stuff sounds encouraging but missing camp is never good right?

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1178

b0ng
05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I see OD getting into maybe the last game of pre-season and I don't know what to think about Hill. I imagine they will keep him but I can't see that lasting through next season too if he's as unproductive/injured as he has been.

gtexan02
05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
I guess this explains why we took some TE insurance in the draf

Blake
05-26-2010, 02:49 PM
We HAVE TO draft 2-3 TE's a year since we have the TE curse of Joppru. No TE is safe within this city!!!!

m5kwatts
05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I see OD getting into maybe the last game of pre-season and I don't know what to think about Hill. I imagine they will keep him but I can't see that lasting through next season too if he's as unproductive/injured as he has been.

Hopefully its more than just the last game of preseason for OD. My next question for Kubiak would've been "do you expect OD to be 100% for week 1 with no restrictions or will he have limitations placed on his number of snaps based on his health heading into week 1"?

If he'll be 100% by week 1, then I wouldn't worry too much about camp or preseason. If he's not ready to go all out week 1, I'm starting to get nervous. If thats the case, here's to hoping Casey or Garrett can take the next step up.

infantrycak
05-26-2010, 03:24 PM
This just means Casey and Garrett are getting tons of snaps. Schaub will find them.

b0ng
05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Hopefully its more than just the last game of preseason for OD. My next question for Kubiak would've been "do you expect OD to be 100% for week 1 with no restrictions or will he have limitations placed on his number of snaps based on his health heading into week 1"?

If he'll be 100% by week 1, then I wouldn't worry too much about camp or preseason. If he's not ready to go all out week 1, I'm starting to get nervous. If thats the case, here's to hoping Casey or Garrett can take the next step up.

OD will probably be doing stuff in practice and whatnot, I just don't see Kubes putting him in a semi-game situation unless he is 100% comfortable with what he has seen Daniels doing in the week prior. I mean, I doubt the offense is going to be so considerably different that Daniels will need the pre-season games to get up to speed.

m5kwatts
05-26-2010, 03:54 PM
OD will probably be doing stuff in practice and whatnot, I just don't see Kubes putting him in a semi-game situation unless he is 100% comfortable with what he has seen Daniels doing in the week prior. I mean, I doubt the offense is going to be so considerably different that Daniels will need the pre-season games to get up to speed.

Yeah I agree, OD's gotten enough snaps in this offense, mentally he's up to speed and could miss all of camp and preseason and step in and be fine.

My questions start there though. How long before his knee feels 100%? Is he going to need to run on that knee for a few weeks before it feels normal? Sometimes after these surgeries they'll be 100% heeled but still not feel completely back to normal for weeks even months. These questions are probably better directed towards Owen than Kubes but still need to be asked and answered. Who the heck was conducting this interview with Kubiak anyways? Zero follow up questions on some heavy stuff from Kubes.

ChampionTexan
05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah I agree, OD's gotten enough snaps in this offense, mentally he's up to speed and could miss all of camp and preseason and step in and be fine.

My questions start there though. How long before his knee feels 100%? Is he going to need to run on that knee for a few weeks before it feels normal? Sometimes after these surgeries they'll be 100% heeled but still not feel completely back to normal for weeks even months. These questions are probably better directed towards Owen than Kubes but still need to be asked and answered. Who the heck was conducting this interview with Kubiak anyways? Zero follow up questions on some heavy stuff from Kubes.

Well, if coming back from knee surgery is something you can learn to do, then he should be getting good at it, as this will be his third comeback from an ACL injury.

Goldensilence
05-26-2010, 04:14 PM

Pretty much sums up how I feel. I think long as he's ready to go 100% week 1 I'm comfortable, if not and Casey or Garrett doesn't look capable of being a decent step in, I'm nervous.

From what I keep hearing Garrett is supposed to be an OD clone.

BullNation4Life
05-26-2010, 04:54 PM
The other 4 tight ends: Dreessen, Casey, Garrett, Gaines

We all knew that the reason they signed Gaines and drafted Garrett was to have camp bodies knowing OD and Hill wouldn't be there. I'm shocked Kubes said Hill won't be ready until the season. I think he's headed for the practice squad or the unemployment line. OD's stuff sounds encouraging but missing camp is never good right?

http://www.houstontexans.com/blog/index.asp?post_id=1178

Hill pretty much had the same injury as OD and right after OD I believe. It will hurt Hill not being in camp though and what you said about PS or unemployment could ring true. Sucks for him cause he is a big kid that could help out with blocking.

BullNation4Life
05-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Well, if coming back from knee surgery is something you can learn to do, then he should be getting good at it, as this will be his third comeback from an ACL injury.

Third? I thought OD only had 1 knee injury in college...

m5kwatts
05-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Hill pretty much had the same injury as OD and right after OD I believe. It will hurt Hill not being in camp though and what you said about PS or unemployment could ring true. Sucks for him cause he is a big kid that could help out with blocking.

When you're that young and you have this hard of a time staying healthy your future isn't good. I've been rooting for him since we drafted him, a 6-6 260 pound tight end that blocks like a tackle was tantalizing but its becoming clear that his body can't take the NFL wear and tear.

CloakNNNdagger
05-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Bottom line, it looks like we may be looking at beginning the season having at least 2 TEs having questionable starting physical capabilities, 3 TEs having questionable starting capabilities, and 1 TE having very questionable starting capabilities. In other words, come opening day, we are one big question mark at tight end.........hopefully not dead end.

rmartin65
05-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Hill is going to be in trouble. I really liked Temple TE Steve Maneri coming out in the draft as a blocking TE. Look for him to impress in training camp.

ChampionTexan
05-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Third? I thought OD only had 1 knee injury in college...

He also had one in HS.

drs23
05-26-2010, 07:08 PM
Hill is going to be in trouble. I really liked Temple TE Steve Maneri coming out in the draft as a blocking TE. Look for him to impress in training camp.

Is he getting any reps?

rmartin65
05-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Is he getting any reps?

No clue, I dont have access to OTAs. I think he will surprise some people, I am really shocked he went undrafted.

Austrian
05-26-2010, 07:38 PM
No clue, I dont have access to OTAs. I think he will surprise some people, I am really shocked he went undrafted.

Not shocked he went undrafted, I had a 7th round grade on him. He's asked to switch to OT btw.

rmartin65
05-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Not shocked he went undrafted, I had a 7th round grade on him. He's asked to switch to OT btw.

I had him as a solid 5th.

Where did you hear about him being switched to tackle? Because I think that is internet speculation. He is more of a TE/OL hybrid, much like Hill, which is why I think that Hill's roster spot is in jeopardy.

gary
05-26-2010, 07:52 PM
First, I thought OD was not going to be at traing camp due to a contract dispute.

Austrian
05-26-2010, 07:52 PM
I had him as a solid 5th.

Where did you hear about him being switched to tackle? Because I think that is internet speculation. He is more of a TE/OL hybrid, much like Hill, which is why I think that Hill's roster spot is in jeopardy.

He wears #68 and is listed as a T on ht.com. He was a beast as a blocker at Temple, but only a marginal receiver. I remember a TD against UCLA in the EagleBank bowl though.

rmartin65
05-26-2010, 07:59 PM
He wears #68 and is listed as a T on ht.com. He was a beast as a blocker at Temple, but only a marginal receiver. I remember a TD against UCLA in the EagleBank bowl though.

Huh, did not see that one on the roster, just checked, and you are right.

I stand by what I said though. Hill was supposed to be the next Bruener (SP?), the big TE who acts like a 3rd OT out there, and maybe sneak out for a pass now and again. Maneri is in that mold, a devastating blocker for a TE, and can go out there and make some receptions.

68 though, that's ineligible isn't it? Maybe I could be wrong.

Austrian
05-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah 68 is ineligible, that's why I posted it. Who knows, maybe he is asked to stay at TE and changes his number. We'll see.

b0ng
05-26-2010, 08:48 PM
First, I thought OD was not going to be at traing camp due to a contract dispute.

Nah Daniels and the Texans have some sort of good faith stuff going on. Daniels will be working through TC but he has stated that him and the Texans are fine where they are at currently with his contract and will come in for off-season stuff.

Grforces
05-26-2010, 09:04 PM
That sucks to hear. I got a question for you guys. I havent followed the texans much pre 2009. If garrett is supposed to be an OD clone, how did OD do his rookie year with us? And I can't remember seeing Hill on the field, is that because he was used primarily as a blocking tight end? Was he any good at running routes and catching?

b0ng
05-26-2010, 09:11 PM
That sucks to hear. I got a question for you guys. I havent followed the texans much pre 2009. If garrett is supposed to be an OD clone, how did OD do his rookie year with us? And I can't remember seeing Hill on the field, is that because he was used primarily as a blocking tight end? Was he any good at running routes and catching?

I remember Hill catching like one pass in the regular season, but he was used "sparingly" at best. Daniels rookie season was nothing special, but Kubiak effectively hand-cuffed David Carr after he saw he was hot garbage and for the most part only Andre really got a good portion of Carr's passes. But you could definitely see that he had potential and was not just a run-of-the-mill TE that you never hear of.

NitroGSXR
05-26-2010, 10:48 PM
I was somewhat surprised by this announcement. It's so unTexan-like of them to give us some concrete injury details this far in advance. I was kinda expecting to be outright lied to and told that both "should be" back cause they're his kids or something.

Owen Daniels is finished though. Once you guys come to terms with that... we might make progress.

b0ng
05-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Owen Daniels is finished though. Once you guys come to terms with that... we might make progress.

We're also going 1-15 right?

NitroGSXR
05-26-2010, 11:03 PM
We're also going 1-15 right?

Now you're catching on...

I know! 1-15 is a little extreme but I'm beginning to come to terms with mediocricy. Aim low and anything over that is gravy. We suck at the coaching level, 100% suckitude. A 100% powerpushy GM. And 50% of complete high snobiety at the ownership (gotta credit the man some with bringing back the NFL to Houston). Bad combination.

Give me four Benard Pollards and two Haynesworths and watch me transform this defense.

JB
05-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Now you're catching on...

I know! 1-15 is a little extreme but I'm beginning to come to terms with mediocricy. Aim low and anything over that is gravy. We suck at the coaching level, 100% suckitude. A 100% powerpushy GM. And 50% of complete high snobiety at the ownership (gotta credit the man some with bringing back the NFL to Houston). Bad combination.

Give me four Benard Pollards and two Haynesworths and watch me transform this defense.

Drunk much?

NitroGSXR
05-27-2010, 01:46 AM
Drunk much?

I'm just punch-drunk.

threetoedpete
05-28-2010, 10:23 AM

I'm not a coach and I don't play one on T.V.. However, Hill would make an excellent candidate for the pup out of camp. It would allow them to keep an extra body somewhere else. Sniff a bubble guy for an extra six weeks.

Hill looked like an awkward rookie when he did get some snaps last year. However you can see why they drafted him where they did. Different style guy. Bruising banger to wear down the other teams DBs. An interesting development last year was the double teaming of Little David
Anderson on his third down routes in the last four games. If ever the door was wide up for a guy to increase his game reps, it's James Casey. Opportunity is knocking . We'll see what he does with it. Has he grown up enough to walk through the door?

Mailman
05-28-2010, 10:53 AM
The surname of the Texans fourth-rd pick out of Wisconsin this year is GRAHAM. If this thread is any indication, his name seems to be a point of confusion.

Garrett Graham.

badboy
05-28-2010, 11:50 AM
I also heard Maneri had asked to switch to OT due to numbers at TE. I think Hill may be on way out. Kubes prefers a TE that can block as well as catch and the new guys and Dreesen (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=274) can do both. If OD returns as expected, Hill could be cut or PUPed. I'd rather have another Olineman that has good feet that can protect Schaub than Hill.

infantrycak
05-28-2010, 12:27 PM
Kubes prefers a TE that can block as well as catch

Every coach prefers a player who can do everything well but what about Kubiak's history supports this statement? Putzier - not a great blocker. OD - blocking marginal although has improved. Casey - not a strength. Graham - OD's younger brother. Hill is basically the only guy he has brought in as a new Bruener where blocking was a major strength.

rmartin65
05-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Every coach prefers a player who can do everything well but what about Kubiak's history supports this statement? Putzier - not a great blocker. OD - blocking marginal although has improved. Casey - not a strength. Graham - OD's younger brother. Hill is basically the only guy he has brought in as a new Bruener where blocking was a major strength.

Which is why I think/thought that Maneri was brought in to push Hill for that Bruener role. Hill cannot stay healthy (the Joppru curse), Maneri would fit the niche perfectly. However, it appears the coaching staff has other plans. Lets see if it works.

infantrycak
05-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Which is why I think/thought that Maneri was brought in to push Hill for that Bruener role. Hill cannot stay healthy (the Joppru curse), Maneri would fit the niche perfectly. However, it appears the coaching staff has other plans. Lets see if it works.

I was looking at drafted players. Maybe Maneri would fill that role but that certainly isn't an indication of the team valuing the role highly. We really don't leave our TE's in blocking as mini-OT's very much. I see more situations where OD and Casey or Graham are both releasing and them relying on Schaub to get the ball out.

BigBull17
05-28-2010, 12:59 PM
I remember Hill catching like one pass in the regular season, but he was used "sparingly" at best. Daniels rookie season was nothing special, but Kubiak effectively hand-cuffed David Carr after he saw he was hot garbage and for the most part only Andre really got a good portion of Carr's passes. But you could definitely see that he had potential and was not just a run-of-the-mill TE that you never hear of.

He caught one pass vs Indy and looked pretty good doing it. Ran well and impressed me. Then he vanished.

JB
05-28-2010, 01:01 PM
He caught one pass vs Indy and looked pretty good doing it. Ran well and impressed me. Then he vanished.

I believe he was injured in that game.

CloakNNNdagger
05-28-2010, 01:22 PM

I think you're correct......after his only reception of the season (9 yds).

threetoedpete
05-28-2010, 01:31 PM

Until I see officially out of the mouth of the/a coach, Maneri is so close to what a ZBS team looks for in a ZBS OLT, they are destined to feed him and groom him for the next two years. I expect him on the practice squad roster. And I do not expect to see him in a game for the next two seasons. If he's starting anywhere in 2010 something has gone terribly wrong and we're scrambling.

ChampionTexan
05-28-2010, 01:45 PM

If you're talking about the season ending knee injury, that occurred in game #13 vs. the Seahawks. Hill was active for four more games after the single pass that he caught last year (In the first Indy game). Don't know how many snaps he got in those four games - though considering OD went out after game 8, I would imagine he was on the field some of that time.