PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Super Bowl will be in NY/NJ

stingray
05-25-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't like this idea but it's gonna happen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5219486

Khari
05-25-2010, 03:45 PM
eww

BullNation4Life
05-25-2010, 03:46 PM

watch THAT be the year the Texans go to the Super Bowl....

drs23
05-25-2010, 03:53 PM
Suprise, suprise. Didn't see that one coming. Duh. I figured that's been a done deal for some time now especially with the love fest that the media has been giving Rex Ryan and Sanchise. Sheesh.

Goldensilence
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Personally I like the idea of a possible cold weather game. Then again I won't be likely to afford tickets anyway.

HoustonFrog
05-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Personally I like the idea of a possible cold weather game. Then again I won't be likely to afford tickets anyway.

I'm with you. Let the weather play a part....ice bowl or not.

HOU-TEX
05-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Boooooooo!

Shouldn't going to the Super Bowl be somewhat of a reward to the teams for busting their asses all season and winning throughout the playoffs? I'd bet a cold weather SB is the last thing coaches and players want. Bleh, it's whatever

Dutchrudder
05-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Ughhhhh, you just know the weather is going to be the excuse of the losing team that year. 'but but but it was windy and cold! and our stadium is a dome! NO FAIR!!!'....

HoustonFrog
05-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Ughhhhh, you just know the weather is going to be the excuse of the losing team that year. 'but but but it was windy and cold! and our stadium is a dome! NO FAIR!!!'....

But if a cold weather team gets to play in it then it helps them and let's people finally play in their environment. I like that. I mean how many classic old games were played in random weather?

IDEXAN
05-26-2010, 11:23 AM
The winters weather in North Texas for this years upcoming SB in Arlington
is marginal, so it's really silly to even consider a game outside in New Jersey
in the winter as practical, but they built a new satdium so just like the new stadium in Arlington, the NEW York metro area gets a reward.

Second Honeymoon
05-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Bad idea and it had widespread support from the owners
and their stadium sucks for costing 1.6billion
I know property value is higher but this ain't in Manhattan
it's in New Jersey. To spend over a billion and not have retractable is pathetic

GuerillaBlack
05-26-2010, 11:41 AM
I'd be all for it if the stadium had a retractable roof. Now, I'm like 60-40 for it. Let's hope it's a good weather day that Sunday.

IDEXAN
05-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I'd be all for it if the stadium had a retractable roof. Now, I'm like 60-40 for it. Let's hope it's a good weather day that Sunday.
People want sunshine, beaches, & golf courses for SB week, so I don't even think a domed stadium makes NY-NJ a legit SB location.

HoustonFrog
05-26-2010, 12:13 PM
People want sunshine, beaches, & golf courses for SB week, so I don't even think a domed stadium makes NY-NJ a legit SB location.

True but NY also supplies a city that the world knows and that is full of glitz, celebs, clubs, restaurants, etc. They can practice, stay and play in NJ but the focus will be NY and the NFL will make a killing there. Weather has always been part of the game. I'm not sure why it shouldn't be now. Some of the best playoff/SB/championship games have been played in less than stellar weather....Ice Bowl, Tuck Rule, 81 AFC Champ game with Bengals and Chargers. I just like the feel of any outdoor game vs domes.

Dan B.
05-26-2010, 12:24 PM
I like it. New York is one of the world's iconic cities. That party is going to be off the chain.

As for the weather I don't think it's any more unfair of an advantage for a run first "cold weather" team to play in NY than it is when that team has to go into a perfect climate to face Indy or NO's aerial attack. And the temperature won't affect me since I'm not going to a Super Bowl anyway. Play it somewhere interesting. I'm sick of seeing the same stadiums in rotation every year. NY looks a lot better on Fox than Phoenix.

b0ng
05-26-2010, 01:10 PM
Have every team host a SB once every 32 years. It is what it is and I don't think we should hold cities out of SB's for whatever reason.

Blake
05-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Why do I care? Its not like I can afford tickets to go.

Koolaid Time
05-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Houston should be given another Super Bowl. We showed them a good time in 2004.

Blake
05-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Houston should be given another Super Bowl. We showed them a good time in 2004.

I think Houston will make a 2015 or 2016 bid(s). We will have to battle Tampa, and maybe even London...

How crappy would it be of the NFL to hold Super Bowl 50 in a country other than the one that made it what it is today.

gtexan02
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Im not for it. Superbowl should be 100% neutral environment. Playing in possible bad conditions may completely change the game

Goldensilence
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Im not for it. Superbowl should be 100% neutral environment. Playing in possible bad conditions may completely change the game

So then we should take that stance with every NFL game?

If so then you're pretty much relegated to playing in a dome. Even then is it really neutral if some teams are used to playing on natural grass as compared to artificial turf? What if some teams are used to playing in winter weather have to go down to Miami, Tampa, Tempe, etc to play in warm weather cities? A few years ago it rained in Miami. Could be the same thing in any warm weather city.My the football gods forbid this, but what if the Cowboys make the superbowl this year in their own home stadium?

I just don't think it's possible to give both teams a guaranteed 100% neutral playing field. Weather and playing conditions are just a part of the game.

Really surprised some people are upset sounding as they are considering the majority of them won't even go see it in person.

b0ng
05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
people just don't want to see this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DTNEa2E7w) happen in a SB (Which I think would be fuggin awesome).

HoustonFrog
05-26-2010, 04:50 PM
So then we should take that stance with every NFL game?

If so then you're pretty much relegated to playing in a dome. Even then is it really neutral if some teams are used to playing on natural grass as compared to artificial turf? What if some teams are used to playing in winter weather have to go down to Miami, Tampa, Tempe, etc to play in warm weather cities? A few years ago it rained in Miami. Could be the same thing in any warm weather city.My the football gods forbid this, but what if the Cowboys make the superbowl this year in their own home stadium?

I just don't think it's possible to give both teams a guaranteed 100% neutral playing field. Weather and playing conditions are just a part of the game.

Really surprised some people are upset sounding as they are considering the majority of them won't even go see it in person.

I was going to say the same. Nice work!

There is no neutral site so why punish the teams that play in cold weather most of the time? There are dome/turf teams.(Greatest Show on Turf) There are warm weather/playing in the heat and humidity teams(Miami, Texas teams if roof open, etc), there are natural grass teams, etc. Every stadium has a certain advantage. Basically you should just line them up and play. I mean football is a game that was always played outdoors before.

ubecool454
05-26-2010, 05:02 PM

Of course it will happen...NFL offices are there. I still say they should make the Jets and Giants own seperate stadiums.

ubecool454
05-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Boooooooo!

Shouldn't going to the Super Bowl be somewhat of a reward to the teams for busting their asses all season and winning throughout the playoffs? I'd bet a cold weather SB is the last thing coaches and players want. Bleh, it's whatever

I agree but the owners had to agree.

b0ng
05-26-2010, 08:34 PM
In my head, dome or no dome, climate controlled or whatever, I just don't see why every team shouldn't have a crack at hosting the superbowl. Biggest game of the year, whatever, the conditions of the superbowl will only reflect the conditions of the fields played in the playoffs and the regular season. Whether it's in New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Indy, or Foxbororo there will have been teams that have already played in that stadium no matter the conditions already (unless there's a goddamn hurricane or it's in ****ing London). Let the superbowl reflect to all of the non-fans that are watching what football is all about. If more and more teams move to a dome, well hey, then you get more domed, climate controlled superbowls but every once in awhile there's a chance you get a rainy/snowy hilario-bowl. Don't try to control the weather by only selecting southern and particular domed locations because it's stupid and you still end up with **** like '06 and other games.

JB
05-26-2010, 08:40 PM
In my head, dome or no dome, climate controlled or whatever, I just don't see why every team shouldn't have a crack at hosting the superbowl. Biggest game of the year, whatever, the conditions of the superbowl will only reflect the conditions of the fields played in the playoffs and the regular season. Whether it's in New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Indy, or Foxbororo there will have been teams that have already played in that stadium no matter the conditions already (unless there's a goddamn hurricane or it's in ****ing London). Let the superbowl reflect to all of the non-fans that are watching what football is all about. If more and more teams move to a dome, well hey, then you get more domed, climate controlled superbowls but every once in awhile there's a chance you get a rainy/snowy hilario-bowl. Don't try to control the weather by only selecting southern and particular domed locations because it's stupid and you still end up with **** like '06 and other games.

I totally agree with this. It will never happen because of the owners and talking heads and TV want pleasant fun sites to party at. But, it would be cool to have a SB at Lambeau Field, and in Oakland. And even the poor miserable Buffalo fans might get some hope if they could host a SB every 32 years. It should rotate amongst all the cities. That would be ultra cool!

gary
05-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Don't they already play games late in the season up there? The SB should not make any difference.

Dread-Head
05-27-2010, 09:15 AM
New York in January?! Ice? Cold? SNOW? TUNDRA!?! HELL Yeah!!! REAL football played the way it was MEANT to be and not this mamby pamby, "let's find someplace warm so we can play with our dollies" CRAP! I'm all in favor baby.

BigTimeTexanFan
05-27-2010, 10:51 AM
The games we remember the most we remember because of the conditions they were played in. I'm all for a Super Bowl played in the snow. Both teams have to deal with the elements anyway.

Speedy
05-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I personally don't see a problem with the game itself. As has been mentioned, playoff games get played in the driving wind, rain, snow, all the time. Even championships from the past which were some of the greatest games ever. So I don't have a problem at all with where it's played, as long as it's U.S. soil, that is. (Which New Jersey barely qualifies, right?)

It seems there's more concern about all the other stuff that comes along with the Super Bowl, the parties, golfing, halftime shows, and all that crap, that I couldn't give a flying pink rat's ass about. The poor "fans" in their $6,000 seats might have to wear gloves and a jacket....waaaaaah.

All I care about is the football game. And a little weather just adds some flavor to it IMO.

JB
05-29-2010, 01:33 PM
I personally don't see a problem with the game itself. As has been mentioned, playoff games get played in the driving wind, rain, snow, all the time. Even championships from the past which were some of the greatest games ever. So I don't have a problem at all with where it's played, as long as it's U.S. soil, that is. (Which New Jersey barely qualifies, right?)

It seems there's more concern about all the other stuff that comes along with the Super Bowl, the parties, golfing, halftime shows, and all that crap, that I couldn't give a flying pink rat's ass about. The poor "fans" in their $6,000 seats might have to wear gloves and a jacket....waaaaaah.

All I care about is the football game. And a little weather just adds some flavor to it IMO.

As long as it's not like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHIBA3moT4

Giant Tiger
05-29-2010, 10:14 PM

Like this game :penguin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65th_Grey_Cup#Montreal.27s_Stapled_Shoes

gary
05-30-2010, 11:30 AM
They were saying on T.V. the seats will be empty after halftime. Hummmmmmmmmm.

awtysst
05-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Boooooooo!

Yeah seriously. Next thing we know CLEVELAND will host a Superbowl! I can see teams trying NOT to win in order to avoid the playing in Cleveland. AFC/NFC championship game runner up players got to the Probowl in Hawaii and the Superbowl teams play in Cleveland!

awtysst
05-30-2010, 11:40 AM
They were saying on T.V. the seats will be empty after halftime. Hummmmmmmmmm.

I'd rather the seats be empty BEFORE half time and get back to good places for the Superbowl like Arizona, Miami, Texas, and NO. In fact lets just name those places: Arizona, Miami, Dallas, Houston, and NO and have the superbowl rotate throughout those 5.

gary
05-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I'd rather the seats be empty BEFORE half time and get back to good places for the Superbowl like Arizona, Miami, Texas, and NO. In fact lets just name those places: Arizona, Miami, Dallas, Houston, and NO and have the superbowl rotate throughout those 5.So, you are not for every NFL city having a chance to host the Super Bowl? Interesting.

Dan B.
05-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah seriously. Next thing we know CLEVELAND will host a Superbowl! I can see teams trying NOT to win in order to avoid the playing in Cleveland. AFC/NFC championship game runner up players got to the Probowl in Hawaii and the Superbowl teams play in Cleveland!

I think it would be pretty cool to have the Super Bowl an hour and a half from the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.